Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

[Ardal] The Smallest of 14 Thrones

Started by Hyacinthus, April 26, 2023, 09:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyacinthus

Valen shook his head, disagreeing wholeheartedly with her words. His arms crossed, he contemplated opening the door just to yell at her to her face— had she just done as he asked, he could've definitely convinced the council otherwise!

"You were supposed to wait, not run! Of course they chased you— If you behave like a thief, you'll be treated like one!"

Valen's hair fluffed up under the pout-filled tantrum he was nearly throwing. So caught up in the moment was he that he'd practically forgotten himself— his more... "noble" persona set to the side for the moment.

visualspice

"Valen?" Came a crotchety old voice from behind, where his uncle now sat in his wheeled chair, a scowl on his face. 

"Did I stop by at a bad time?" He showed some teeth as he grinned. "Fighting with one of the maids, I see. Don't waste your breath."

He moved now to wheel a little closer, huffing with effort before pausing to note how ruffled his nephew was. And how red his face. He cocked an eye brow.

"I didn't interrupt something else now did I?" 
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Valen's eyes widened, and like magic, the light of life that was only just ignited in the back and forth he'd been having was quickly snuffed out as he remembered his place. The gruff voice of his uncle reminded him not only of where he was, but who he was— or at least, who he should've been. Who he was supposed to be in this moment.

"...Ahem. My apologies, uncle. I was just preparing to enter the bath." His voice lost its pout, and his expression lost its edge. He dared not act out of line in the presence of his family, who so benefited from his position, nor the council, who placed the expectations of all of Ardal upon him... Regardless of how either actually felt about him. "Someone was... is, already inside— likely one of the maids, as you say."

Internally, however, he was screaming— mostly at the 'maid' on the other side of the door, for somehow always being in the wrong place at the wrong time. "Is there aught I can assist you with?

visualspice

The coloring of Valen's cheeks was not lost on the older man. The boy finally was taken with a maid? It was about time the boy became a man.

At the question, he snorted.

"Nothing that can't wait until after your activities, my duke," and although the older man didn't cackle, it was glittering in his dark eyes.

"Send a servant to fetch me once you're.. finished." And he bowed down his head before back wheeling himself out of the room. He clicked the door closed and moments later, the sound of his wheels on the stone was fading, indicating Valen was finally alone again.

Well, alone with her.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

The very moment the scrawling sounds of older wheels faded away, Valen could feel a wave of relief and despair wash over his soul like blessed rain. It was stressful enough that he had to keep up appearances at all times, just to not be ridiculed or shamed for his incompetence— it was an entirely different fear that he might be caught in such an uncompromising position as to be viewed as a lecherous, or greed ful duke. He couldn't bear the thought of being a man of such poor morals in the eyes of the public.

Which brought his attention— and ire— back to the woman on the opposite side of the door. "You. Are making. My life. Harder!" With each word, he prodded at the door with his finger, as if the mysterious woman could feel it somehow. Rather than continue to bicker with her, though, Valen attempted to take the high road... for his own sanity's sake. "...Listen. I am going to open this door... and you are going to get out of my bathroom." He explained, slowly, clearly— almost as if in the back of his mind, he knew things weren't going to go as easily as he said. "And then I'm going to go into the bathroom... and you are going to find your own way out of the estate. Deal?"

visualspice

Valeyn had grown quiet when she heard his uncle approach, and simmered down as she waited like a cat beside water. When he finally did begin to speak to her again, she frowned at the door, rather than glared.

What did he think she had been trying to do?

It was all so stressful and annoying. How had this mission gone so sour?

Considering his words, she wasn't sure how she ought to reply but considered her options. She could do as he said, but she'd be in the same predicament as before, left to her own devices to evade the guards.

On the other hand...
She had a Duke who.. could potentially be at her disposal. She knew that method was rarely fair but life was rarely fair. So she said nothing, and waited quietly, patiently just out of view if he'd open the door or peek in through a keyhole and waited.
 Contemplating her next move. 

Hyacinthus

Silence. Gods, why was this woman so aggressively anti-social!? His eyes darted across the room— firstly toward the doorway that his uncle had only just departed from, and secondly to the floor beneath the bathroom door— looking to find a shadow familiar to the one he'd been arguing with moments earlier.

There was none.

For goodness's sake— what was she doing NOW? Hopefully not back in his tub again. He would only tolerate so many of his sudsy bubbles being taken up by someone else— it was nigh on the only personal joy he had left in this world, his bath.

"...I'm going to take your silence as agreement, okay?" His voice was a lot less certain this time. The fact of the matter was that he was unarmed— and more importantly, he wasn't necessarily much of a fighter in the first place. She had not harmed him earlier; Surely she wouldn't harm him now, yes? The logic was there, for certain... and yet, the fear of the unknown remained all the same.

Still, his bubbles awaited.

"...One," He began to count, raising his hand to the door's lock, "Two..." He continued, his fingers pressing against the bolt-locking mechanism and rolling the lock free from its extension, and then finally— after another pause, twisting the doorknob.

"...Three."

Valen summoned what little courage he had left. The door opened, not too slowly, not all at once— a normal swing, as if no danger awaited him on the opposite side. And as he walked in, he found, to his surprise...

...No one. No one? The young duke blinked in confusion, almost positive a soaked sneak-thief awaited him within. Had he only had the wherewithal to actually look around him rather than just forward, he'd have realized he was not so alone as he began to think.

visualspice

She had considered brandishing a knife, but thought better of it. She didn't need to give the man more reasons to throw her into a dungeon. So the moment he stepped in and stood with surprise, she stepped out of her place of hiding and grabbed hundreds by the front of his robe.

"Command the guards first,"  She demanded, eyes hard as she leaned closer, hand threatening to reach for the dagger at her hip. "I'm not about to allow myself to get chased through this castle again."

All she wanted was a way out of this.. but would that even work? But a second later.. a pair of guards entered the room and they immediately froze upon seeing the Duke, with his robes beginning to fall loose and a sudsy woman pressing in close with the bathroom door wide open.

Hyacinthus

"...!"

Her movements were too quick, his reaction far too slow. Before Valen had realized it, he found himself accosted by the current bane of his existence— pushed to a wall, his head throttling a bit from the sudden force. He was lucky to have held his breath— intentional or not, the strength she showed in pinning him back would've otherwise knocked the wind clean from his lungs.

'Command the guards first'? That wasn't part of the deal! And why didn't she at least ask that of him before he walked in!?

"YOU are the reason any of this even happened!" He complained, his face once more red with some mixture of outrage and lack of composure. He'd not immediately noticed the dagger her free hand appeared to be going for— his eyes not trained to look for such hidden movements among attackers, let alone anyone else.

How he wanted to give the girl a further peace of his mind— but he couldn't. No, instead he found himself immediately interrupted by the sudden presence of yet more members of the estate— the guard. Valen's eyes widened, and he froze on the spot— once more remembering not only himself, but the rather awkward position he now found himself in. His face remained flushed as he attempted to shift his hands to his robe, utterly ashamed of how indecent he looked at the moment.

"I—Th-this isn't what it looks like!" His response, somewhat cliché, was the first and only thing he could thing to say, his eyes darting back and forth with distress between the guards and the woman at this point.

visualspice

In a sudden whirl of action, Vaelyn grabbed the Duke by the arms and yanked him inside the bathing room,the duo disappearing in a whirl of robes and bubbles. She kicked the door close, moving with haste to throw down the heavy wooden bar to lock the pair inside... doing this all before she could think better of it.

Then she turned, chewing on her words at him and glared daggers.

Hyacinthus

The young duke felt his heart stop for a moment's time, and his life flashed before his eyes. Once more he'd found himself on the receiving end of the woman's force, and as she hurriedly pulled him into the bathing room, Valen stumbled under the sudden shift in his balance, and fell to his knees and hands on the ground while the... thief? Kidnapper? Spy? Secured the door once more.

He was trapped now, with her.

And as she turned to him with venom in her eyes, what little strength of will Valen had steeled within himself crumbled— both due to knowing he could not escape her now, as well as having taken the briefest of glances at his bath, and being forced to acknowledge the horror that was the the suds of the bubbles already subsiding, leaving little more than a lukewarm tub of water... that this street rat had already defiled. Truly, nothing more— sans perhaps his life— could he stolen from him at this point.

"...Why are you doing this? What do you want from me?" His soft, weakened voice came out in several layered tones of defeat as he began to contemplate just how much more he was potentially going to be humiliated before the day was done. Already, he could hear the slamming of fists on the door— the guards having come running after seeing the random commotion and attempting to ensure the duke's safety.

visualspice

"Stop feeling sorry for yourself!" She hissed. "Now call off the guards." For they were still pounding on the door. She didn't exactly want to get skewered today, or in the best case scenario, tossed in jail.

Hyacinthus

Valen flinched at her anger, his trembling a bit more visible from the floor as he stared up at her, eyes filled with a mixture of fear and despair. The humidity in the room, driven by the long-escaped heat of the bath, had caused him to break out into a light perspiration— that, and the manic beating of his heart.

"...A-and you'll leave?" He couldn't help but ask, still uncertain of what he should do in this situation. He'd been here before... tried this before, but the council was right there to stop him. It was as if they were clairvoyant— always showing up whenever Valen tried to make a decision for himself, just to undermine it. "If... I ask them to let you go, you'll really leave?"

visualspice

She'd never wanted to strangle someone so badly in all her days.
"What do you think I've been trying to do?"

She only felt a mild pang of remorse as she noticed the man seemed genuinely afraid of her. 

She supposed it was better that way.

The pounding on the door continued, "My lord? Is everything alright? "

It was then Uncle Rodham's voice cut through the others 
"What are you doing?! Are your brains made of brick? Vacate the royal bathing suite. The duke  is taken by a girl."

Hyacinthus

Valen's ears caught the terribly dry vocals of his uncle once more, and almost immediately what little life or hope left in him drained from his face— not that it was apparently visible as he raised him right hand to cover his eyes, coming to terms with what he, in his mind, had no choice but to do now.

"...Mother will be so disappointed in me," He whispered to himself. Valen thought the world of his mother— he would've died for her happiness in a heartbeat. The thought of such rumors being spread alone would've driven him to tears at this point normally, if he had the emotional capacity to do so. But the day had been long, and he'd gone through all 5 stages of grief in as many hours— he had very little left in him at this point. He pleaded with himself to steel his resolve one last time— and accept what would come.

Slowly, he stood, and walked to the door, wordlessly passing the young woman as he did so. Unbarring the entrance with a severe grunt, the door came free of its lock, and as the three men outside argued over the duke's 'circumstances', Valen opened the door to meet them.

"M-my lord—" One of the guards spoke, only for Valen to wave his concerns off with a very mentally exhausted, practically despondent look in his eyes. He clearly did not want to talk about... anything, really. "...I am done with the woman. Please see that she is escorted out of the demesne." His voice carried very little passion or rapture— from the outside looking in, the woman seemed to still be fully clothed, albeit wet. It was almost as if the duke... wasn't able to...

"...My lord—"

"That is an order, from your Duke. And I would have you— all of you— speak of it no further." Valen replied once more, his eyes not meeting any of the three men as he did so.

The men, being men, could only draw one real conclusion from it all— but neither of the guards dared to say it.

"...As you wish, your grace."

visualspice

Vaelyn had truly feared the worst when she couldn't find a way out.. do when she was finally allowed to go..
It felt.. almost wrong.

She didn't spare a glance back and hurried on out of the place and from the manor proper..but as she quickly made her way from the keep.. 

She wasn't entirely sure where she ought to go. If Wrent turned coat.. was it even safe back with the rest? 

She spares one glance back at the castle, noting the window she had flung open from the bathing room.  Thank God she was away from there. Now she had to figure out what fate had in store next as she disappeared into the on coming night.

Hyacinthus

Valen sighed, the chaos of what he hoped would go down in history as the worst day of his life finally behind him. Resting quietly on a chair near the dressing table in the bathing suite, his hands running through the softened curls of his blonde locks, he looked as if he might fall over at any moment. In some senses, he felt just the same.

Not long after the departure of the mysterious woman— who's name Valen had never even managed to obtain— the maids were called in once more to re-prepare the duke's bath as he liked it— he could only ignore the strange glances and confused comments that spawned from such a request, given the fact that the young man was barely moist— the duke had never missed a bath, nor been one to absentmindedly forget one. Yet another rumor to the mill, the boy supposed, as he awaited the ladies to finish their work within the bathing room.

He couldn't help but think that somehow, some way, all of what had transpired today was his fault. He retraced everything he'd done that day over and over in his mind since finally parting from the raven-haired woman— practically traumatizing himself with scrutiny as he questioned why all that had happened, had happened. A stronger duke would've immediately called for her arrest, if not cut her down where she stood for so much as daring to intrude upon the Duchy's solar without permission. A wiser ruler would've never allowed themselves to be left alone with a potential threat. A real Connlaothian man wouldn't have been so quick to back down and shiver at simple insults and admonishments. But Valen... knew he was none of those things.

Deep down, he was just a false duke. And now, he was a false duke that even the men of the guard were likely to speak ill of behind his back— if they hadn't been already.

"Your grace, the bath is ready— y-your grace? Is something wrong?"

Valen was roused from his thoughts by the concerned voice of his maids and sudden realization of unnatural warmth on his cheeks. Tears... was he crying? When did he... What did it matter. He couldn't rightly tell the maids— or anyone— the truth of what had occurred today. Not without further due consequences against his good name.

"...All is well. I'm... just a a touch tired. Thank you, kindly. I'll call for you if aught else is needed... But I'd like to be alone for a time, please."

Alone... yeah. In hindsight, maybe that was what was best. Maybe the council had the right of it after all.

visualspice

Several weeks later.. she had been coerced into doing the unthinkable . After vowing to never return to the palace, her crew concocted a plan (and somehow manufactured a stolen copy of an invitation..) for a Lady Vayana Ducois. It was debated over several days just who from the crew was fit to go to assume the role, and despite her protests and vehement words, even she  couldn't deny she was the best among the crew for the job.

She was the right age, and after some 'grooming' and giving lessons on propriety and dress, even those she worked with were stunned at the results- for after painting her up and taming down her wispy black hair, that now lay trimmed to short, framing curls about her head- she actually appeared as a proper lady should. 

Granted, the hair styles were typically worn long, Vaelyn's alter ego was meant to be some 'lady from the countryside ' visiting with her cousin, who had been cast to the leader of the pack- a charismatic blue eyed charmer, who was taking a bit too much to his role. Leave it to Feuno Harting to out do Vaelyn's jaw dropping impression. 

He noted the way she scowled at him and tutted. 

"Now, now, is that anyway for a Lady to act? Remember Vaelyn," Feuno went on, leading the dark haired woman towards the grand staircase leading up towards the Duke's manor. "You are no longer Vaelyn from the streets but Vayana of Rhastion Hill. And I, your esteemed cousin. Now come come, I promise you. No one will recognize you as that street rat that snuck in here a month ago."

Vaelyn glared death upon him but he only smiled brighter 

"You only have ten more seconds to glare, Vae. For its almost showtime."

Hyacinthus

In the weeks that had passed, the Duke of Ardal had made fewer appearances than ever before. It was initially looked upon as little more than an unusual absence, but as time went on rumors naturally began to spread about the absent noble. Some amongst the dukedom spread rumors that the duke had fallen ill, or had been poisoned— others claimed that their lord had taken to matter of the occult, and that the council was in some way covering up the fact that the duke was secretly a magister, or in league with other nations.

None of it mattered much to Valen. He had, in fact, become something of a recluse since the incident. The shock of a potential attempt on his life and the chaos that the woman who'd invaded the duchy had left severe scars on his mind, which would not be quick to heal. Nightmares played the young Duke, nightmares of his death, at the hands of assassins, of his kidnapping by unseen forces, of his lack of control over his own life. It was no wonder that his health continued to decline even in the absence of these forces.

Before long, the council found itself in quite the enviable situation for their own purposes; with the Duke so physically and mentally disposed, the council found more freedom in their actions than ever before. Where the Duke originally had the final say, in many of the taxes, tariffs, and legislation's that were brought before the Duchy, his recent night terrors, and resulting the lack of physical and mental strength at all, but sept him of his ability to make strong judgment decisions, allowing the council full reign over the future of the land and its people.

Today, the Duke was to entertain guests from the countryside. It was a common enough occurrence for the people of Ardal to request off a meeting with the Duke either to discuss matters of state or for potential sponsorship— though in recent days the number of meetings had dwindled due to the rumors surrounding the Duke's health. And as he sat upon the throne of Ardal's demesne, it was clear that there was some truth to those rumors. Adorned and noble robes, Valen's looked like a shadow of his former self, which, in and of itself, was quite the statement to make. There was an uncanny dullness to his eyes, as though the life had been stripped from them, and although he sat upright in his throne, he appeared close to ready to fall over at any given moment.

'Shoulders straight, gaze forward. Let no one question your foresight, even when you know not where you're headed. That is the way of a ruler.' Admonishing words from his father. They rang in his head again and again whensoever he was required to attend such meetings. To his left, and his right, a member of the council stood; stand ins for the Dukes, personal aids in these matters of great import. They had prepped him several times over with dialogue for the upcoming meeting; primarily lines of difference, which within, allow them to answer as needed. Weeks ago, Valen may have protested to some degree; today, however, he could do little more than nod in acceptance. He lacked the strength of will to do much more in his present condition.

visualspice

She couldn't believe she was conned into this. Not only did she feel out of place, but as the pair were announced and joined the gaggles of guests, people were staring at her. She averted her gaze, trying her best not to kill those onlookers with a glare, when Feuno pulled her aside and tutted.

"Really now, we haven't even been here 5 minutes and your glowering."

Vaelyn gave him a sharp look.

"I'm not glowering..but people are staring at me. You think they know-"

Feuno cut her off.

"For one of my best pair of eyes, you sure ate dense. Take a look at the crowd, Vayana. See how they look? And look at the men, notvthe women. What do you see?"

"Eyes," came her short remark. "It's probably because I look ridiculous in this dress."

"Au contraire, the dark blue dress suits you... and those eyes?" Feuno took her hand, guiding her to look back out into the ballroom. "They're all looking at you. Why.. I'm even a little jealous. Normally even the men eat me with their eyes but I feel like a pile of horse shit next to my divine creation."

Vayana flushed and glared at him again. 

"Now come and rub that frown away. We're  at a ball.. the likes of our kind have never seen. And you.. my fair lady, are a star."