Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

[Ardal] The Smallest of 14 Thrones

Started by Hyacinthus, April 26, 2023, 09:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyacinthus

'Shoulders straight, gaze forward. Let no one question your foresight, even when you know not where you're headed. That is the way of a ruler.'

Valen closed his eyes, and took a long, calming breath. He stood just beyond the northern entrance to the estate's ballroom, his mind frayed with exhaustion and undue concerns that ate away at his soul even to the moment. He needed to be calm. He needed to be collected. A firm pat on his shoulder and a steel, reprimanding gaze reminded him of his place— a member of the council, urging him to carry forward as he was instructed. He opened his eyes, a burdened look in his gaze as he raised his hand and grasped the handle to the door.

The ballroom, of course, was abuzz with discussion and discourse— the high society of Ardal at its finest. Certainly, many an eye were upon the charming duo of newcomers— and yet, as the large, ornate doors leading further from the demesne opened, attention shifted slowly from them and toward the new coming presence. Indeed, the duke had at last presented himself to the ball. Adorned in robes of navy blue and silver, golden tresses flowing with each step taken, Valen quietly made his way onto the scene. Flanked on both sides by members of the council, the young duke made eye contact with no one, and spared not a glance to the public as he and his colleagues skirted the ballroom floor, and made for the seat of the court at the center of the ballroom's northern wall.

"Ah, the Duke has arrived."

"In 'good health', no less... dare I say he seems... lesser, today? Weakened, perhaps...?"

~

"So the young lord does deign to grace us with his presence, does he...?"

"Look, Miriam— see how he walks? See how shadowy he seems? 'Tis as if he is a different man."

"Perhaps the rumors are true, Diana... that the duke has taken to the occult...?"

"Gods, no... could he?"

~

"You don't think the rumors are true, do you...? That the duke is... 'impotent'?"

"How very crass of you to say! Though... it is true that the duke has never been seen with a woman..."

If the room was a murmur of whispers and gossip before, it became a bubbling brook moments after Valen took his seat, though he did not seem to mind. No, the boy almost in something of a daze— a metaphorical mental fog appearing to cloud his eyes as the council members immediately set upon him, whispered words in his ears about upcoming events and people of interest present at the ball. Valen's weary nods and down-crested gaze were all the more telling to the nosy crowds that seemed partially self absorbed, and partially intrigued in the young man.

And it was no wonder, honestly. The duke's presence at such events was often paired with a prepared speech, or a dance with a chosen partner... but their lord seemed visibly weakened. Neither looked as though they would be possible today.

visualspice

It was no surprise that when the Duke made his arrival, the gossip had began. Feuno prodded her to keep her ears open, to listen for anything useful. But then he got a good look at the Duke and gaped.

"My, my.. despite the baggy look under his eyes, the Duke is gorgeous."

Vaelyn made a disapproving look at Fueno.. honestly... but as she stole a look his way, she too noted his eyes. But she also noticed the rest.  He looked obviously haggard. When she had run into him before, he was timid, and eventually argumentative, much more lively and full of life. Now he looked like a painting of fading colors. She supposed faded look aside, he was attractive.. and those robes... it made her feel self conscious. Like a pauper in a hall of kings.

She wasn't sure how she hadn't noticed his looks before- curly blonde hair even a woman would die for.

"He's far prettier than me," she muttered but shook her head. She couldn't be caught gawking when there was work today. She turned towards Fueno.

"You can continue your gawking.. I'm getting myself something to drink."

But as she wound her way around the drink station, she couldn't help but feel clostraphobic from all the poofy wide dresses she had to navigate... despite the immense size of the hall. Once she did manage to procure a drink, she observed Feuno off and flirting with some dark haired man and frowned. 

What was she even doing here?
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

What was he even doing here?

The thought bounced around in his head amidst the blurred congregation of marching directives and notes of conduct implanted within him by the council. He questioned not his role as duke— unfitting of it though he felt— but his presence at this 'prestigious festival', as it were. Valen wasn't particularly attuned to the idea of flaunting nobility— he viewed his role as someone who served the people, not someone who the people serve... yet here he sat before an audience, not for the sake of country, but traditional grandstanding.

A 'display of authority', the council said. 'A show of strength in these uncertain times', they said. He felt neither. He hadn't for some time.

And someone— an unfamiliar face amidst the crowds— thought to take full advantage of it.

"Your grace. How lovely it is to meet you in-person." A voice matched a slow, almost languid saunter of heeled footsteps as a lone figure approached the duke's throne. Clearly the courageous sort— the other guests had already become so self absorbed in their own agendas, or content in their musings and rumormongering that none had thought to even speak with the young man. Yet before Valen and his aides now stood a woman of enchanting beauty— with long, scarlet hair highlighted with streaks of scarlet, supple skin and piercing crimson eyes. Her ballroom dress, a flowing series of shades of red and gold, was so expertly tailored to her body that it almost seemed to float with each step she took, never too long, never too short. It was like magic... but surely not. That'd be an unthinkable, frivolous application... even for her.

The council aides traced their eyes from the young woman, who could only have been a few years older than Valen himself, back to the duke; In that time, she made good her respect to the lord and council alike with a deep and heartfelt curtesy. Her crimson gaze slowly peeked back up at Valen as she did so— quite intrigued in whether or not she had done enough now to garner his attention, and to her great pleasure, she found that she had; The Duke, who'd been otherwise preoccupied in his own thoughts, had now focused his gaze to meet her own, a somewhat inquisitive look in his eyes. And why wouldn't he? Of the many nobles he'd commonly been made to convene with, she was not one whom he was familiar with. Nor had he ever seen her at prior gatherings— and Valen had an eye for faces, so as he studied hers he became certain of that.

"...I'm sorry, have we..."

Silence. The world around him suddenly became absolute silence. It was alarming, to say the least— and yet, as Valen attempted to react in confusion, he realized... he couldn't. His mouth wouldn't open. His eyes wouldn't widen. His breathing wouldn't race. Even his heart stilled, as if nothing were wrong at all. He felt... trapped, in his own skin. And yet, the most horrifying thing was not that his body would not answer his will... it was that it answered another's.

"...Ah, I remember now. Madam LaCroix, was it? It has been some time; I'm so very pleased you could make it to this event. I'd not expected such a pleasant surprise!"

"You flatter me, your grace; I am honored that you would remember my name."

"Perish the thought. An astronomer will naturally always remember the brightest of stars he sees; A duke, the most promising of his subjects."

The conversation, like shattered glass, caught nearly the entirety of the room by surprise. The duke, so openly and vibrantly speaking with this woman...? Just who was she? What relationship did she have with their lord?

Valen smiled warmly at her blushed face in response to his praise... but inside, he was screaming. Begging. Pleading that anyone could explain what was happening to him... yet no one answered. Not swiftly, at least. Yet as the conversation between his body and the woman before him continued on without him, a voice echoed into his mind. A familiar one... the same one that stood humbly before him.

'Enjoying the farce, Lord Nox?'

A simple question, and yet the cold, demeaning edge that lie in the tone of the voice in his mind shook the young man to his core. He suddenly felt very exposed; as if all that he was and would be was laid bare to the eyes of someone.. or something, that held nothing but malice for him. 'It seems you can be quite the charmer, when you don't choose to be... or perhaps you'd rather play the role of a lustful king, using the power of your name to take any woman you so desire... or a tyrant, that declares open war upon your neighboring duchies in hapless pursuit of power. My, my, so many possibilities...'

If Valen could cry, he would've broken down by now; if he could truly fall to his own knees and beg whatever madness had taken hold of him to leave him be, he would've. Yet he was helpless to the voice that had claimed him for its purposes— and could do nothing but watch through his soul's eyes as the world played out around him, without him.

'Worry not, your grace. I have already picked out the perfect role for you, and I shall ensure you play it to perfection. The charismatic and bright young leader of Ardal, who, at the front of his budding rule, falls victim to a terrible accident— an ill-begotten assassination. Oh, how the citizens will mourn their young Duke, as Madam Amelia LaCroix tells them the dreadful tale of how Lord Nox, while accompanying her on a lonely walk, was attacked by men wearing the colors and crests of the neighboring Duchies... how deeply their hatred will run, as Amelia warns the council of the assailants' threats of an active declaration of war against Ardal. Poetic... beautiful.'

Fear. Panic. Rage. Despair. Self-loathing for his own weakness. Valen could feel all of this, deep down in his soul as he listened to the voice within, yet continued to smile and converse without. 'Even should war not immediately destroy the land, it will be no less simple to erode the structure of the Duchy— and from there, the nation— with but a few more well-placed lies... and a dagger or two. So rejoice, your grace... yours shall be the most beautiful of deaths, from whence the exposition of the greatest of plays shall begin. You need only watch with amor from the front seats... as your play your part to the very end.'

In the waking world, outside of Valen's mind, the young man smiled. "You are just returned from the north, yes? I should be glad to hear of your recent exploits in the capital. Come; though I do so enjoy the dancing, I tire of this throne. Walk with me, Madam, along the terraces— I would have you regale me... In a more private setting." The duke gingerly declared, standing renewed from his chair as he did so. The council, obviously bewildered by the young man's sudden bright and engaging persona, immediately moved to see that he was fine— but with a flick of his wrist and a wave of his hand, he dismissed them all the same, leaving the two aides dumbfounded at his newly-acquired energy. It was odd... almost as if her were enchanted. Yet despite their concerns, neither stopped the duke, as he began to leave with 'LaCroix', knowing there was only so far they could openly protest the duke's behavior in public.

Amelia smiled sweetly, leading Valen toward a door to the northeast of the room. All was proceeding according to plan. Soon... soon, true hell would befall the Duchy, and it's crown.

visualspice

The scene across the room gained everyone's attention, and were it an enchantment or not, Vaelyn found she couldn't look away. There was something.. wrong about the interaction, and her brows knit together as she tried to steal a glance to Feuno. 

Of course the man was preoccupied.  Why did he decide to tag along if he was just going to flirt and not work? Well, Vaelyn had a job to do. Taking a hold of her skirts so she could walk more easily, she began to make her way towards the parting Duke and this woman, this Lady LaCroix.

She couldn't shake the cold feeling in her belly and used just the subtle amount of her magical energies to stifle the clicking sounds of her heeled shoes. The more she went over the interaction in her head, the more she concentrated on the shift in Valen's demeanor. Yes.. something was just not adding up. And Vaelyn aimed to find out what.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

"Tell me; will you be in the capital long, this visit?"

"My apologies, my lord; I fear I am needed in the west e'er long. I will likely not stay longer than a fortnight."

"Ah, alas. I had hoped to keep you by my side a bit longer, but even I could not be so greedy as to hold you all to myself."

"You flatter me, my lord."

Amelia LaCroix was reveling in the feeling of self-importance she donned herself with as she slowly, almost languidly walked the court with the bewitched Valen, before leaving the room through the north exit. Valen— or at least, his body— was all too keen to keep close to the mysterious mistress, walking almost hand in hand with her— yet only barely out of reach. She couldn't be 'too' obvious after all. Drawing the jealousy and ire of the court was part and parcel of her plan, after all— she needed an alibi for herself before the kill. Her ability to turn others into practical puppets was not something that came without cost— exercising her magic over multiple targets took a good deal more concentration, and so it was most efficient to simply take control of the most important member of any congregation, in order to best control the narrative.

The two of them made their way out into the northern courtyard, which was essentially empty— the majority of the staff having been pulled to attend to the ball. With few eyes left upon the two, Amelia and Valen stopped before a large, ivory centerpiece fountain— the central focus of the yard. Beautiful and pure as it was, it almost seemed a bit of a waste to taint its polished edges with fresh shades of red... but it would make for quite the dramatic set piece.

"This will do nicely... now then, my lord. Would you be so kind as to come and sit here, on the ledge of the fountain? I'd like the setting to be as vivid as possible— your blood staining the fountain waters will create such a wonderful plot... though for you, I suppose it would be the climax."

Her tone took a far less humble, far more sinister note as she waved a single hand toward the fountain, and Valen, obediently did as he was told, showing no sign of resistance or fear. His eyes neither wavered nor betrayed the woman's magic, even as she slowly pulled a dagger— one with a strange, crimson glow— from the sleeve of her eloquent dress.

"Poor little duke... my adorably pathetic, lost, little bird, trapped within your own cage... as the nest burns you alive. May your death being an end to this accursed country." She teased, venom oozing from her final words as she raised the blade to strike down the young man for good and all.

visualspice

Her magical silence kept her quiet as she pursued, pausing at the edge of the gardens- lest she be seen.

Now that she was close enough, she dropped her silencing bubble of magic she conjured around herself and held her breath, listening. And her blood ran cold as a sense of dred washed through her, twisting and filling her belly.

Her legs felt like lead as she watched the woman, who promised death and to paint the fountain red with the Duke's blood.

Oh no.

There wasn't time to think, the blade was there, ready to strike- and the Duke..she didn't understand why he didn't fight back.. why he didn't try to run, but her instincts kicked in...
To survive and she ran.

While the villainous woman raised her dagger in a flourish, Vaelyn cut the distance between the fountain and her foe in dramatic seconds, whipping out a thin blade of her own to parry the dagger off from it's path and away from Valen, before instinctively cutting the thin blade towards the other woman's eyes  while shouting. 

"Run!" After the Duke, who still seemed to be sitting there like some unanimated doll.

Hyacinthus

"Ugh—!"

The setting was perfect. The characters were in place, and the moment was ripe for the great climax— yet as Amelia staggered from the parrying of her blade, she couldn't help but wonder with great exasperation— where did this plot twist come from!? Her eyes flickered— a strange light within them, a telling sign of magic, flickering in and out of view. Her concentration had been broken— her play had been disturbed!

Regaining her bearings, she was just as quick as the woman to bring her own dagger to protect her face, before engaging in a war of strength with this unknown variable. A guard in disguise? It couldn't be— Amelia had planned this attack for so long, studied all the faces of the duke's demesne— this woman was not one of them. Then who?

All the while, Valen still sat before them— frozen in place, but no longer through magical compulsion. Now, he sat frozen with a myriad number of fears and traumas alike— the very real attempt on his life just now having practically shocked him into a state of disassociation. He wasn't sure what was happening anymore— he wasn't sure if what he was experiencing was real, or some magic cast upon him yet again.

Seeing this from the corner of her eye, Amelia mentally breathed a sigh of relief; the duke was clearly too scared to so much as attempt to run. That made things a bit easier... and gave her a backup plan if this situation spiraled any further out of hand. For now, she would try to set her grand play back on track, and use this new variable to her advantage. "Who are you? Why are you interfering in my play!?" She demanded answers from the mysterious woman, a terrible glow in her eyes as she pressured her further while glaring her down. She only needed an answer— it didn't matter what, so long as she willing became an actor in her play. Oh, how glorious it would be to need only watch as the Duke's life was ended by the hand of another, freeing her entirely from all suspicions...

visualspice

The Duke was too much in shock to run.. or something else foul was in play. Ansgar's name.. why wasn't he running!?

At her question, her eyes narrowed in response. 
But then she felt an odd sense wash over her.. those eyes...
Oh no.

Before she knew what was happening, she felt compelled to answer. But somehow she kept a response choked inside her throat.

Was.. was this woman using magics on her?!

The way her eyes glowed...
And she actually found herself wishing the Duke had mordecai on hand. 

Sge wasn't about to wait and let the woman react again; as Vaelyn spun soundless on her heels and grabbed Valen by his shirt, yanking him to his feet 

"RUN!"

Hyacinthus

The glow in Amelia's eyes flickered once more, and her gaze adopted a slight sense of confusion as the woman before her resisted her spell of compulsion. That... shouldn't have been possible, unless— realization dawned on the scarlet-haired woman's face as she realized what had just happened.

"You're a mage, too!" The vitriol in her voice could've melted steel. She wasn't disgusted by the existence of another magic user here— no, she was more than amused at the thought, even. What she was furious about, however, was her actions. "Why are you helping him!? We're on the same side!"

And yet, no answer. Instead, the girl continued to attempt to assist the duke, whose legs could barely support the weight of his body as all the blood in his veins had rushed to his head. He was still paralyzed— his fear having gripped him so deeply that he could barely breathe— or at least he felt as much, even though he was hyperventilating. His heart was beating louder than the screamed demand that he run away— louder than just about anything at the moment. His legs wouldn't move.

Amelia, sensing the opportunity, reached into a small, hidden compartment on the side of her dress, pulling out a small, yet undeniably sharp set of throwing daggers. "I do what I must for all mages— I can't let you interfere, mage or not!" She declared, and with impressive aim, she threw one of the daggers at the pair, aiming for Valen's head. If the woman became a casualty in this, so be it— she would serve her purpose one way or the other.

visualspice

And the knife was knocked clean from the air as another metal blur smacked it clean off its course. 

Vaelyn turned, gaping.
"Feuno!?"

He tutted and looked down at her struggling with the Duke.

"Honestly.. I leave you alone for two seconds and you're already making moves on the sexy Duke."

Vaelyn shook her head, but then noted he had out his throwing knives and was grinning after the other woman whose knife he knocked away.

"I've been itching to use these."

But then Vaelyn cut off his words 

"Fueno, be careful! Don't look into her eyes! I think she uses compulsion magic!"

Fueno regarded the other woman and his grin only grew wider. 

"Oh? Well, compell this. " and he threw a dagger clean at her face. 

Hyacinthus

How vexing! Amelia matched this newcomer's skill with a throw of her own, the two blades once more colliding and flying off of their initial courses. A frustrated smile grew on the woman's face as she came to realize how, in so short a time, she was outnumbered.

"To think my play would be ruined by such malignant actors... and just short of the climax. The audience will surely be displeased..." She eyed the duke, and once more the woman who'd moved to protect him, and then the newcomer. Yet another face she didn't recognize... Quite skilled with blades, he was— had she not been at least as skilled, she might've been in trouble there. But the situation was quickly worsening— the needless screaming paired with the duke's absence was beginning to attract the attention of the ballroom, which would soon mean the guard and council were like to show up.

With a sigh, Amelia shook her head. She hadn't been planning on making her exit this way, but with no the risk of Valen's father showing up soon, she had to make good her escape. "Alas— no play survives the first revision. The audience will have their tragedy yet, I assure you— until then, I would bid you remember this, fellow mage."

Pulling out a small, green stone from her hidden pocket, Amelia's smile turned sickeningly grim. "Whether you like it or not, you and I are on the same side— the tragic heroines of this cruel play. The real villain of our story... hides behind the Puppet Duke." Suddenly, the stone in her hand flashed a bright, blinging green, engulfing the figure of the red-headed assassin... and a moment later, she was gone.

visualspice

Vaelyn hadn't made it far with the Duke before Fueno joined them, taking Valen by his other arm.

"You know, Vayana, I do wish you'd remember our code named " he tutted.

She gave him a look as the pair were more easily able to maneuver the Duke to safety. They had managed to get him inside, although purposefully moving him towards an opposing side of the festivities.  

Now where it seemed the group was alone in a study, Vaelyn moved to ensure the woman hadn't followed. Fueno frowned. 

"She won't be coming, I fear. That stone... basically a one way teleportation spell. Fickle things, those  " his eyes narrowed as he rubbed his chin in thought. "Expensive, too "

Vaelyn turned back to look at him, then down to the Duke as she frowned.

Why did she always end up needing to save this man's life?

Hyacinthus

Said Duke, meanwhile, had broken out into a cold sweat in the process of being relocated. His body only followed the motions that would've been expected of him— he still had not recovered his mind, not fully. How could he? So much had just happened in so little time— his body, stolen from him; his life, nearly ended without his even being able to scream. He had gone near-into shock, just trying to process if he was even truly safe- or actually alive, even.

With his return, while the majority of the guests didn't take notice, the council did— and just as discreetly as the three of them had entered moments earlier, so too did the two members of the council who'd been accompanying Valen approach them, with narrowed eyes yet calmed demeanors.

It wasn't exactly a mystery as to why they seemed upset, given the state of their lord— who they did their best to hide from the other guests by positioning themselves in between Valen and the public's line of sight while addressing the two who were with them.

"I should rather hope you have a very firm explanation as to why the Duke has gone so pale... Or why you were carrying him inside in the first place." One of the council members spoke up, while the other gestured discreetly to a nearby maidservant, who seemed to understand the request and quickly scurried off... somewhere.

"What has happened here... why is the Duke in such a state, and where is the woman he left with? Know that your answers are all that stand between you and the inquisitor's dungeons right now." The man continued to speak, a surprisingly look of disinterest on his face as he glanced to Valen, then back to the two guests. It was clear that his words didn't come from a place of worry— more so a sense of entitlement, perhaps?

visualspice

Vaelyn was irritated at the situation beyond belief and every instinct of hers was screaming to run. But she was stuck between abandoning the Duke and dealing with a new set of circumstances..
When Fueno stepped foward- the man all polished smiles. 

"Why you're late! And to think you are here to now question me." The man tutted. "The woman left almost immediately once she had brought the Duke out here to break away from prying eyes. We knew the pair would have limited time.. but oh, you know how young love is," Fueno pressed, gesturing towards where Vaelyn still remained in close with Valen.

"Shame they wanted to court in secret. They make such an adorable couple, don't you agree? Oh and look at how Lady Vayana blushes! She's  fiery one, that girl. But oh..who are we to dismiss the acts of true love? A true tale that the gossipers would gobble up.. having a field day."

It was true, Vaelyn's face was red. But she felt it was truly out of anger than..than.. embarrassment. 

But while Fueno distracted, she couldn't ignore that the Duke did look extra pale. She frowned, concerned, and asked softly,"Are you okay?"

He looked about ready to pass out.

Hyacinthus

Valen didn't respond. He couldn't. He barely heard the woman's voice— barely realized her presence in the moment. He mind and heart we're still gripped by the events that had just transpired. He was still hyperventilating— his body trembling and cold to the touch. He still questioned if he was even truly in control of his own faculties again— the impact of having his body's control torn from him having left a profound mark on his psyche. He'd never experienced magic before— never seen it, never known it could be used to such horrifying ends. Perhaps his father was right...

Meanwhile, things were not going necessarily well with the council and Vaelyn's compatriot. As Fueno spun a devious tale, the councilman's eyes narrowed, his hand revealing itself from beneath his robe as he fought the urge to call the guard needlessly. "You speak of your lord— mind your tongue, lest you prefer it cut from your mouth." He reprimanded the 'noble', clearly unamused by the story he was told. It was only then that the man actually took a proper look at Fueno, as well as the woman behind him, nearest to the duke... and only then that realization took him. "...Who are you? Your faces aren't known to me. How were you able to—"

"Stirring up trouble again, Edwin?"

Footsteps approached; heavy, combat boots, with metal lining and steel toes. A familiar sense of oppression for everyone washed over the corner of the ballroom; for some, it was the voice alone that changed the mood of the room. For the more magically inclined, however, it was a far less pleasant feeling— Mordecaism. Along came a man who stood somewhere close to 6 and half feet tall; with short, black hair, weathered skin, and surprisingly... the same shade of blue eyes as Valen's own.

'Edwin', the annoyed councilman, along with the other turned to acknowledge the presence... albeit somewhat unwillingly. "Lord Evan." He reluctantly spoke, bowing courteously to the the duke's father— a show of respect that was promptly ignored, as Evan stepped past the two councilmen, as well as Fueno, not even deigning to acknowledge his presence.

No, he had come to see his boy, who still stood shaken in the corner. "Move," He commanded of Vaelyn, stepping past her as well as he closed the distance twixt himself and his son. He paused, looking the dejected boy over once, then turning to ensure that the ballroom still hadn't noticed them in the corner. Good, they hadn't. It was only then that Evan Nox surprised the immediate audience by reaching down at his son's face, and with a vice-like grip, he clasped his battle-worm, calloused hand around his throat, nearly choking what little life remained in the duke out of him. In doing so, he yanked Valen's face— which was now suddenly alight with newfound fear and awareness of his circumstances, upward to look him in the eye— lifting the boy off his feet as he did so.

"Lord Evan—!"

The man did not bother to explain his actions. He gazed into the eyes of his son, which were filled with such weakness and vulnerability, and let on a menacing glare— the look of a man who'd killed many, many times before. "Imagine my surprise to return home from business in the north, only to find myself swarmed by rumors of the Duke's— of my own son's impotence, of his lecherous escapades. Imagine my disdain to find the lord of this land— the leader of its people— in such a deplorable state. You are not the son I raised. You are not the Duke I fought to ensure seceded the throne."

Tears welled in Valen's eyes as he felt his mind and heart being pushed far and beyond their breaking point by his father's words, but the glare on his face warned him under threat of harm that he was not to let them fall. "Pull yourself together. You will not embarrass yourself— nor me— this day." And with those words, he unceremoniously released Valen, who dropped a solid half-foot to the ground, stumbling backward agains the wall to support himself.

Neither of the council members moved to help or support the Duke— as was expected. Instead, with his head lowered, Valen merely steadied himself on his own feet, before moving away from the wall. "Shoulders straight, gaze forward. Let no one question your foresight, even when you know not where you're headed. That is the way of a ruler." His father commanded, before turning away. "We shall speak of your... 'behavior' in my absence, later." And just as quickly as he had come, Evan Nox left— the oppressing aura that surrounded him leaving with him.

visualspice

For once on his life, Fueno was at a loss of words. And the silence that hung in the air long after Valen's father had left was heavy and palpable. 

Vaelyn hadn't realized she had resorted to cowering in a corner when the man appeared, and she had felt absolutely useless when not only thr sense of dred over her powers becoming snuffed out held over her.. but over the simple presence and booming actions the man simply exuded.

Once he left and she felt that oppression subside did she truly feel as if she could breath again. What.. who.. how? She wasn't even sure she wanted to know what they had just encountered as she spared a glance over towards Fueno.

"Perhaps.." he went on, the first to break the silence.  "We should.. leave the Duke to freshen himself for the evening. It. Has already been an eventful start."

However, even as Fueno moved towards the exit- and her own legs screamed to do the same, Vaelyn found herself as equally petrified as the Duke and simply couldn't move in that moment. Yet she desperately wanted to flee.

Hyacinthus

Perhaps the most surprising reaction of all those in attendance of the scene that just took place was the councilman, Edwin-- who, even after witnessing the scene that had just unfolded, merely looked the other way at the suggestion of giving the duke a moment of respite. "Do not be absurd. The duke's absence has gone unnoticed for long enough-- he will return to overseeing the event, as is his duty. Is this not so, my lord?" To call the man cruel after witnessing what he had would be an understatement. Despite his words, however, the one who was addressed... did not debate him.

"...Yes." Valen's voice came as a shattered, despondent mess; fitting given how unsettled he looked at the present. The light of life in his downcast eyes had all but been extinguished, and while he was no longer hyperventilating, a close inspection was enough to reveal that he was still very much trembling; a combination of the shock from his attempted assassination earlier, and his father's words breaking what little strength he had left. It was the gaze of a man who had lost the will to live, but soldiered on all the same.

With that settled, the other councilman who'd been accompanying Edwin moved toward Valen, to escort him back to his seat at the forefront of the ballroom. Valen didn't resist, and didn't utter a word as the man came to stand with and walk with him back to the front of the event. Edwin, meanwhile, simply adjusted his glasses and, as though his actions and decisions were perfectly normal, began to turn away from the duo of Vaelyn and Fueno in turn. "Right, then. In lieu of extenuating circumstances, I would speak of this no further-- and have you speak of this no further. There are enough nonsensical rumors surrounding the duke at present without your adding further to it. You are free to sojourn the event for the remainder of your time. Carry on."

visualspice

As she watched in.. horror, was it? Shock? - as the Duke was simply escorted away to act as if nothing had happened, Vaelyn felt a sudden rage, a sudden anger twist inside her. Did the Duke not see how cruelly he was being treated? She had heard how awful politics could become the higher the ladder you were... but this? 

So many emotions simmered from within her as she glared at the back of Edwin's head. And the fact this man just dismissed the pair so easily.

She nearly jumped out of her skin when Fueno placed a hand upon her shoulder. 

"Easy, Vaelyn.. this isn't your battle. Don't let your temper control you."

She cut a glare his way then watched as the Duke and Edwin disappeared back into the party, eyes hard as they stood there in silence.

"That.. woman.." she said, trying to push through the political mess back to the original problem
 "Do you think she's gone... gone? "

Fueno cocked a brow at her and shrugged. 

"As another person who adores making a grand entrance, I'd say we paved her permenant retreat for the night. But I have a feeling thats.. not all you're concerned about." He frowned at her. "Don't think too much about what transpired.. after the incident," he began to say. "It.. they... let's just say live in another world entirely from us."

Hyacinthus

Fueno called it proper; The remainder of the ball went on without incident, for the most part. No further assassination attempts, magical or otherwise, were made on the Duke's life-- but his social standing was attacked and picked apart all the same. Those self-same wicked eyes and wicked hearts who whispered deceitful and hurtful rumors behind his back were in proper form once more, as the Duke was escorted back to his seat. Why was the Duke being walked about like a child? Was he unwell? Was he truly so lost without his precious council that he could not even walk a few steps without them? What had happened to the woman he'd left with earlier? Had she turned down the Duke's advances as well?

The rumor mill was in full steam, and Valen could do nothing but bear the brunt of it. Even Evan Nox, who at one point in the event called the ballroom's attention for a rousing speech and a bit of grandstanding on his achievements and the 'strength of the duchy', could only do so much mitigate the devolving disposition of the attendees, and only for a little while before they resumed their gossip. This only served to further fowl the man's mood, and as his gaze turned toward his son, who fought with all his heart to avoid meeting his father's eyes, he swore that they would indeed have words about the situation afterwards.

Hours passed; Afternoon gave way to night. The Duke was at last excused from the event, and as expected, escorted directly to his personal chambers. His father had beaten him there, having left the festivities earlier in the evening, and after waving the council and maidservants away, he and Valen... 'talked'. Or at least, Evan talked. And hit his son. Several times.

By the time he was satisfied with his handiwork, Valen was sprawled on the floor of his chamber, unresponsive yet conscious. Evan was careful to avoid his face and hands, after all; The hands of the lord of Ardal, the face of the light of hope of the duchy, couldn't be scarred or bruised. The rest of him, though... "Pull yourself together. And do not dare to put on such a disrespectful show in front of me, ever again." The older man spat, before leaving the room-- and leaving Valen alone with his thoughts. Slowly, carefully, Valen managed to pull himself to his knees... but them fell back to the floor. In that moment, he lacked the strength of mind, body, and spirit to stand on his own two feet. He presumed at some point a maid or one of the councilmen would find him, and he'd be forced to attention-- but until then, he just... couldn't.

visualspice

Despite his best efforts to warn her against it, once Vaelyn had her mind set to something, she saw it done. So while the other party goers had left (Fueno included) , Vaelyn had taken the time to.. slip away.

She had been in the palace before, had been run and chased through the back hallways, and now that her mind was a little more clear from that night- she began to remember the way.

Why had it been so impossible to recall directions when she had been pursued? She chided herself over and over as she moved, quiet and stealthy- and dressed now in some stolen maids uniforms she had the brilliant idea to confiscate while Fueno worked his charms. And although the dress was a little too large for her, it worked just as well.

As she moved, she was careful to be silent- but it didn't seem necessary.  There were no other maids nor servants in the hallways, the secret ones or otherwise.   

How strange.  Infact, the palace was the complete opposite of when it was lively during the ball. This made her frown. Was.. there no work for them to do? Surely there had to be much to do after such an extravagant party.

Well, she should be nearing the Duke's chambers by now. And it's when she heard something. An awful noise.  A terrible noise that made her stomach drop and twist as I'd filled clean with lead. 

The duke.. she paled..
He was being beaten.

She wasn't sure how long she remained silent or had held her breath, but she eventually realized she had started to shake and began to work on calming herself.

There was nothing that could be done about it. He lived in another world. She shouldn't have tries to pry and yet...

She turned, startled by the sudden scraping of foot falls behind her. Before she could think better of it, she slipped into the Duke's bedchambers and closed the door quietly , and quickly, behind her . Then locked the door was a soft click, one she forgot to muffle with her magics.

It was only when whomever was on the other side of the door tried to open it that Vaelyn tensed. And listened. Whoever it was cursed and mentioned to another voice they ought to return later.  Vaelyn wilted with relief. Whatever the Duke had gone through.. he could have a moment longer of privacy...

That was.. until she realized, foolishly, she denied him now of that as she slowly turned around and froze at the sight of his body on the floor. She paled, fear zinging through her.

Was.. was he.. dead?