Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In God We Trust [M]

Started by visualspice, August 27, 2023, 07:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

And as it did- the same number of enchanted versions of herself that appeared...
That exact number of her 'Puzzle' stood right before her-
Each one of them smiling, saying nothing, only simply staring at her as she approached, with just the swishing sound of the dark curtains making noise all around them- and the creaking groan of the old building settling into place.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Goldie

Get. Out.

Her inner voice practically screamed in her head. This wasn't worth the answers. This man had powers she had never seen.

Never had she been met with someone who, quite literally, copied her own abilities.

She was so shocked that she had stopped her song and the corporeal illusions she had made exploded into stardust. Her breath left her like a punch to the gut and she lurched forward, clutching the sill while her visions swirled.

Damnit. She clenched her teeth, eyes closed against the pain severing her magics so suddenly had caused. It had caught her completely unprepared and now she was helpless as she waited for the ricochet to pass.

"You win." She croaked from the window, hands shaking, sweat beaded on her brow.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

visualspice

One of the illusion's cocked his head. They all seemed to be staring at her from where they stood between the shadows and drapery.

"Than come claim your loss," he told her simply, and allowed his images to dissolve back into one.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Goldie

She chuckled darkly. This was it then, was it? How she would meet her demise?

"And what would that be?" She didn't move from her place in the road, head still bowed towards the windowsill. "Pretty sure I'm getting enough of a reward for stupidity right here." Part of her stillness was due to the sheer fear that gripped her, but it was mostly the sudden break. She put her will into her magics, and the corporeal illusions even took parts of her own health to coax them to life. When those magics were severed without proper preparation, it was like having a brick wall slamming into your whole body.

"If you're going to kill me, I'd appreciate it if you did it right here. Those curtains look awfully nice and I'd hate to ruin them."

visualspice

"Last time I checked, the loser did not dictate the spoils," he said calmly, voice laced with just the hinted bit of coyness.

He still hadn't moved.

Goldie

"Yeah, well, I'm having some difficulty moving so you'll have to excuse me." Her hands gripped the sill tighter and she made a move to step closer, but her knees buckled and she fell, slamming her leg onto the stone.

"Shit." She cursed, blinking away tears. "How the hell did you do that?" Her voice was muffled, but clear from the road. She managed to turn and sit with her head against the side of the house.

Things were still spinning.

She laughed again, mostly at herself.

"Sorry for making demands," she wheezed, "But your little ditto (ooc: I had to. No other choice 😅) caught me off guard and now I'm paying the price. If you feel strongly about me coming in, you're going to have to give me a little help or wait like....an hour."

visualspice

Something moved- almost unseen. Was it a shadow? Or just a blur? And had the figure within the drapery moved?  No.. it seemed it still remained...
but something tinkled and whirled beside her- like a coin rolling across the ground, but when it hit her boot, it came to a teetering halt- and shined faintly.

It was a small ring.

If the man wanted her to wear it, he said nothing. He simply remained where he was, the strange drapery hiding him making his appearance seem all the more surreal.

Goldie

She opened her eyes when something clinked and then gently bumped into her boot. The ring next to her was unmistakable on the cold stone floor.

Another laugh escaped her lips, but it was tired even to her own ears. All mirth was gone. Even the gold that streaked her hair and eyes had faded.

"Fuck me." She laugh again sardonically, "You didn't strike me as someone who'd kill like a coward." She shifted with a groan and a ragged cough rumbled through her. "So what, I put this on and what? I drop dead instantly? No...not poetic enough for someone as verbose as you. A true genius with words, you are."

Ok, nervous talker. Time to shut up.

"Since you're probably just standing the43 reciting sonates, I'm picking up the ring now." She leaned forward with a groan and picked it up between her thumb and forefinger. "Ar sí ni fírima." She muttered in Elvish.

But she didn't die.

The cold metal slipped onto her finger and she closed her eyes to feel....better.

"The hell.....?" She felt instantly herself again. The pain in her chest faded to the smallest twinge. Even her knee, which crashed into the stone.

She stood and turned around to face the open window. The shadow still lurked behind the gently wafting lacey curtains.

Well now she was confused. Clearly the ring healed her but...did that mean she was healed just to be killed? Did that even make sense?

Cautiously, she sadled through the window but refused to enter the room any further. Would she still be healed if she took the ring off?

"Ok, honey, I'm here." She spread her arms. "Regale me with my failures."

visualspice

He said nothing at first, simply let her eyes adjust to the darkness to where he apparently now sat in the shade of the draping sets of clothe. It was an odd set up, to be sure- but it also leant an air of mystery and though the curtains were delicate, and she would be able to see them more clearly now- they somehow seemed..
less ominous than before.

Than a lantern was lit, and she would be able to see him within his prison of silk. The fires danced around, warming the tall swaths of clothe.

And he was still looking at her.

"Why did you follow me?" he asked, not hint of anger in his town- but simple questioning.

Goldie

Her eyebrow raised.

Ok, not what she was expecting, but honestly none of this was.

"That's easy." She crossed her arms, the gold in her hair and eyes returning as she healed, "You're a puzzle. I like to know how things work."

visualspice

He smirked. She amused him. He normally hadn't the luxury to humor others such as she, so he simply enjoyed the moment and her being flabbergasted about it.

"You can keep the ring," he told her, still sitting where he was between the veils of clothe. Was he on a chair? It certainly seemed so. It also appeared another was nearby, somewhere near to him but also held between the tangles of clothe mazes.

Goldie

The ring felt cold on her finger as she nervously spun it in slow circles. He was playing with her, she understood that just as she understood that she had very little advantages here. He was always one step ahead and one step stronger.

It was a new experience for her.

Most of her more dangerous encounters on her journey had been solved in a few moments. Her experience, typically, far outweighed that of a 20 or 30 year old human. She did, after all, have two to three times more years to hone her craft.

But now? Do not underestimate them, Saoirse, her father's last words to her before she left echoed in her ears.

Well....now her own pride had landed her in this mess. All in the name of adventure.

"You cheated." She stared at the trinket imagining his fingers littered with hundreds of magic rings gifting him with god-like powers. "Though, I'm assuming you don't have an artifact that lets you read minds." She looked up at him through the curtains, "I suppose thank yous are in order?"

visualspice

He stared at her, remaining lazily lounging in the chair. 

"Any creature worth it's preservation cheats," he told her simply. "Man kind never would have evolved without it. It's what makes the species unique."

Goldie

"Huh." She mulled over his words, "Seems like something a cheater would say." She shrugged and slipped the ring off her finger.

She paused for a moment to study it. It looked unobtrusive and she never would have guessed it held any kind if magic whatsoever. And yet....here she stood.

"So here's my conundrum." She held the ring in her palm, tossing it up and catching it a few times. "You are clearly a dangerous man. Based on the circles you walked through the city, you're also secretive with your business. So...."

She tossed the ring back at him, gently, but with enough force it would reach him before it hit the floor.

"Why am I even here? Am I prey? Do you find me as intriguing as I find you? Is that why you haven't killed me?"

visualspice

He simply let the ring roll towards his boot, where it stopped in a clittering fade.

"I'm sorry.. do you know me? You dare presume much," he mused, stretching now from where he sat and moved to stand , retrieving the ring from the floor but not making much effort to leave the interesting confines of the drapes.

One had to wonder what the tall drapes inside the room had even been for.

"You also ask a lot of questions." He tilted his head curiously.  "Wasn't it you whom followed me?"

Goldie

"Oh, so sorry my leige." She rolled her eyes, "I'll just act more like you, then."

She propped herself up on the windowsill and let the curtains dance around her. She glowered into the darkness, crossed her arms and....was silent.

visualspice

And at this, he smiled. 
"It's a good first step. "

Goldie

She continued to stay where she was, eyes carefully watching Vrae from her location while scouting around the room for anything that she might use to her advantage.

But what was she hoping for? She was right by the window, she could make a run for at this very moment but....

Running wouldn't give answers.

So she stayed still. She stayed silent.

visualspice

It was a strange game they played. The hunter and the prey. But like the Venus fly trap, his 'aroma' seemed too intoxicating for the half elf.

And he began to wonder just what would he do with such a thing? Keep her around as a pet. No.. she wouldn't last a day. He'd likely forget to feed her.

Yet somehow... he continued to wonder about her.  Perhaps it was because elven kind in general steered clear of his enterprise.  Sure, he had dark elf connections a plenty but elves... true elves evaded his very existence like the plague.  And so perhaps he just saw her as that, an exotic toy.

So he continued to play his game and made no such efforts to advance.

Goldie

Saoirse kept her mouth shut and waited. She wasn't really sure why or what she waited for, but they had reached an impasse it would seem.

As the minutes ticked by, she pulled her knees up to her chest and rested her head on top, never moving her eyes away from her puzzle. Her Vrae.

She'd become pretty possessive over him, like a child clung to a new toy. A dangerous toy, but something new and exciting nevertheless.

What would happen if she decided to leave? Would he follow or would he stay? Part of her wanted to experiment, but despite her confident demeanor, she really wasn't sure if he found her interesting enough or not. He had clearly not killed her yet, as was evident by her being...well...not dead. But...was she interesting enough to follow?

She certainly hoped so, but she wasn't ready to concede if she was wrong.

Still so many questions.

As the time past, she found herself composing and began humming absentmindedly. She didn't tap into any magics this time, just let the music itself flow through her.

Her music did not rely on her magic. She had been raised by elves. She herself was half elven. Her talents were Gods given and she had honed them tirelessly over the years.

(tw: suicide in song description)

Then she sang, a mournful tune that lent itself well to her smooth soprano voice. Each note flowed into the next with a virtuosity rarely heard outside of elven circles. She sang, in Elvish, of a young woman who fell in love and gave her whole heart to one who could never love her back. She sang of their failed attempts to couple, their failed attempts to remain faithful and true. She sang of the woman's decline into solitude and despair as her true love left with another before leaping to her death from the cliffs into the sea. The ending candences were wordless rise and falls of her voice mimicking the feeling of the waves crashing; the ebb and flow of the tide.

The song ended as her voice decrescendoed into silence.