Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In the Dark of the Night Snarg will Find You [Nightcrawler][M]

Started by Goldie, October 12, 2023, 04:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

@Nightcrawler

Fuck me. he thought bitterly as he pulled the collar of his fur jacket higher on his neck in an attempt to keep out the biting wind. How had he ever managed to pick up a gig in the literal worst country in the entire fucking world.

Fuck.

Fucking shit fuck me. He tried to pull the jacket tighter, but the toggles were already closed and he was as encompassed as he could possibly get.

The wind whipped through the trees and even the little hut of a house Snarg leaned against did nothing to keep it at bay.

He glanced up at the sky to judge the moon's location. She was late. He didn't like that. At all. He'd be making sure they paid him for every minute he worked, per his contract. He wasn't a damn servant and he would prove it in blood if he needed to. No one fucked with him.

The moon shifted a few more inches and he sighed heavily before lifting two fingers to his lips and repeating the bird-like signal that he had been taught.

Now where the fuck was the girl.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

Nightcrawler

Evie was late.

The "birdsong" echoed up through the open window again. "Alright, I'm coming, I'm coming," she muttered. She snatched up her satchel from the bed, swung the strap over her shoulder, and took one final glance at herself in the mirror. The only sign left of her makeup was a little black smudge around each eye. She'd stuffed her long hair up into her hat. Gone was the pretty — if scandalous — dress that she'd worn to work that evening, replaced by trousers, a shirt, a vest, and a coat. It was all very plain and practical. She winced. She looked, for all intents and purposes, like a man. Albeit, an Adelan man with horns in a place where neither were common. Dressing this way would keep her safe tonight, that was for sure. She still hated it.

She sighed, adjusted her collar, turned, and hoisted herself out the window. Truthfully, she thought as she clambered over the roof, she'd been dallying. It wasn't dressing like a man that had her nervous. She was used to that. No, it was the railroad operation that gave her pause. Garrett never hired mercs. Never. They were loose ends. Complications. A merc could easily run his mouth after one too many drinks, or blackmail them to raid their coffers. Something about this job had Garrett spooked. And now Evie was downright scared.

She slid over the edge of the roof and dropped to the ground with a soft thud. She was to meet the merc at the abandoned house just around the corner and bring him with her to the rendezvous point. She wished Garrett had picked a location a little further from the Rose. He'd been making a lot of questionable decisions lately. He always did when he was under pressure. But they couldn't afford that; not when it might cost lives.

Sure enough, as she rounded the corner, a hulk of a man came into view. He looked cold and miserable: signs of a foreigner who hadn't dressed properly for Connlaothian weather. Evie glanced around. He was the only one in sight. Okay, birdie, she thought. Let's see if Garrett told you the passcode. She approached him with as much confidence as she could muster.

"What bird sings alone in the dark?"

Goldie

Snarg saw her well before she spoke. Much of what he did required very little outward planning or thought and he didn't do much more than was purchased, so we had gotten quite good at just observing.  Hell, he didn't do anything more than what was purchased. Improv wasn't what they paid for with him. You wanted an orphanage burned, fine, but you sure as fuck better be specific on whether you expected the kids to be saved first. He wasn't a fucking mind reader.

And she wasn't a fucking shadow. In fact, even in her get-up she was downright memorable.

Interesting.

Then she spoke. Like some kind of rich entitled snob waking towards him all prim and proper like. Well, he hadn't been paid to be polite.

"Fuck off." His voice was low and gravely and a faint chatter of teeth could be heard ever so slightly when he opened his mouth to speak. "I ain't here for riddles, princess."

Nightcrawler

Evie shoved her hands in her pockets, rolled her eyes, and sighed. Of all of the folks out there doing merc work, the boys had gone and found the crankiest, rudest one for the job. Was he just cheap or something? Was he the only one they could find? Well. She'd been raised by streets full of tougher, meaner men than him. Maybe she'd softened up a bit during her time at the Wild Rose. Maybe she'd let herself look and feel and act the way she'd yearned to for years. Nevertheless, she sure as shit hadn't lost her armor. Not when it counted.

"Yeah? And neither am I," she replied, dropping the feminine lilt in favor of matching Mr. Crankypants' harsh tone. She hated the sound of it. It sounded like survival. Like having to hide. "Look," she continued. "I'm doing my job. My job is to verify who I'm talking to. The sooner you do that, the sooner we can get you out of the cold. So why don't you answer the question. Unless you enjoy standing out here, underdressed and shivering?"

Goldie

He blinked at her for a good few seconds, his face a blank mask as he mulled over the change in personality. He was secretly pleased she wasn't some damsel in distress as her initial demeanor would have lead him to believe. What didn't please him was this insistance on answering a question that had never been articulated with him which meant one of two things: he was talking with some other horned under cover spy, or he had been hired by an unorganized idiot.

Dammit he hoped Connloath had a plethora of horned spies.

"Don't know a damn thing about birds." He responded gruffly, pulling his furs tighter around his neck, "just that there's one that won't shut up right around here and seems to be looking for a mate."

Nightcrawler

Evie watched the merc sort out his own feelings. Are you done being a big baby about it? Good, she thought. Neither of us have time for it. She didn't want to act like a man at all, but men like this one did respond better to a dose of their own medicine. She sized him up. It was the right place, the right time, the right...um...bird noise. Chances were that he was their merc, even if he didn't know the passcode. Or maybe Garrett just forgot. So as much as it was dangerous, she'd take a leap of faith.

"Ehh...good enough," she replied, tugging her coat tighter. She jerked her head, motioning for him to follow. "Come on. Let's get going. They'll be waiting. I'll brief you on the way." She started off at a brisk pace. She'd pointed them in the direction of Uthlyn. They'd eventually have to swing through town and out the other way to get where they were going, and Mr. Crankypants the Underdressed wasn't going to like that. But maybe she could find him a cloak or some blankets when they stopped by the warehouse to meet up with the boys.

"Here's what I'm supposed to tell you," she began. Fuck, it was cold. She shivered a bit as she spoke. She tried to keep her voice low, but the wind made it hard. "You get paid half upfront, half when the job's done. Boss says there's a bonus in it for you if you stick to the plan. We're doing this quietly — just an extraction. You're insurance in case things go south, but absolutely no killing. Knock them out if you have to. If you kill, the second half is forfeit. We'll have more specifics when we get to the next rendezvous point. And something warmer for you to wear. Hopefully."

She side-eyed him. "Any questions?"

Goldie

Snarg followed silently and made the occasional grunt to tell her he was listening. The wind was biting into his cheeks which made him absolutely miserable and a joy to be around. Not that he was good company on a good day anyways, but now he was worse and she'd just have to deal with it. He wasn't sure who he'd talked to the first time, he wasn't one to ask questions, but the half up front and half later was news to him and not a welcome one at that.

Perhaps he should have asked more questions this time around. The guy had seemed nervous, that much he remembered, but that wasn't unusual in this kind of work. But....listening to this broad talk, this seemed like something that wasn't a new line of work for them. She seemed confident, if a little snooty, but that man had been....shifty.

Gods Damnit. He didn't ask questions.

He didn't ask questions.

"No killing." he grunted back, "Even if they're about to cut off your head and I'm across the room. Let 'em get you. Fine."

It wasn't a question.

Nightcrawler

Evie stopped in her tracks and turned. She looked the merc up and down, her hands still shoved in her pockets to protect them from the chill. Try as she might, she couldn't keep her irritation from showing plain as day. Seriously. Who was this guy? She sighed impatiently. "That's not what I said, big guy. I didn't say don't defend us. I said don't kill anyone. Are you telling me you've never kneed a man in the nuts? You've never...I don't know...knocked 'em over the head with a board? Thrown a rock? I thought guys like you were a little more...creative."

She had more to say, but she bit it back. She didn't think he'd understand, and it wasn't any of his business, anyways. This was her calling. Liberating the enslaved was her real job: the one she was meant to do. If she died, then she died doing what was right. The thought scared her shitless. Maybe she still wasn't prepared for it. But...it was still the truth.

Instead, Evie thought it best to nip this one in the bud. She frowned. It was exhausting playing a tough guy just to keep another tough guy in line, but he seemed to need it. She spoke up again. "You good with that, or are we going to have a problem?"

Goldie

Snarg grunted. While she was busy judging him silently, he was doing the exact same thing. This woman was an idiot. What part of 'across the room' did she not get? You couldn't knock someone out with a board or hit them over the head unless you were right up on them. A well thrown dagger, however, would do a lot more good in that kind of situation that her little peace-be-with-us wannabe life.

He glared down his nose at her, "Can't smash if I'm not next to you." he quipped, "And you can't do your job if you're dead. I know who holds my contract and it isn't you. I was told to keep you alive. Are you ok with that, or are we going to have a problem?"

Nightcrawler

"I was told to keep you alive."

She hadn't been expecting that at all. It caught her fully off guard. Who had given this cutthroat merc his priorities? Surely not Garrett, with his head so stuck in the clouds nowadays that practicalities were like a nuisance to him. If one of them died, he'd martyr them and use it to fuel his fire, sure. But he wouldn't actually care enough to think of his men as people worth saving.

Certainly not Evie. She was expendable. She did the work the boys were too good for. And Garrett wouldn't give a shit if she died in the process. They both knew it.

But this merc had no clue about any of that. He just wanted to spill blood for a quick coin, and that made Evie uneasy. She decided to try one last time. If he didn't listen to her, maybe later on he'd listen to a room full of armed men. "If you kill, you won't get paid," she said. "That's the job. If you want to argue, do it with whomever botched your contract, hun. I'm just the messenger. Now come on. Let's go. It's freezing out here." She started off again. She didn't look back to see if he followed.

Goldie

Snarg watched as confusion and a mix of other emotions he shouldn't give a damn about crossed her face. It gave him pause. Gods dammit it wasn't supposed to do that anymore.

Time to disassociate and just get the fucking job done.

He grunted in reply, still not entirely certain what the hell he was doing. The sane part of him was saying to just get out and cut his losses, but he had traveled this far....

Gods damnit.

Nightcrawler

The merc had finally stopped arguing. It was a good thing, too, or they'd both still be standing out there freezing their asses off. Evie led the way beneath the great gate and into Uthlyn proper. She wove zigzag through the streets, always choosing the path less traveled. She knew it all like the back of her hand. She also knew its people and how nosy they could get where the common folk were concerned. Even if she and the big guy weren't doing anything suspicious, it was still better to stay out of sight. Who knew what could come back to bite her if she wasn't careful?

It was a good twenty minutes of cutting across Uthlyn before they turned down a street that was decidedly less posh and upkept than the rest of town. This was the warehouse district: where crates upon crates of fine wares flowed into the city, ready to be displayed in some pretentious boutique. As it happened, it was also the perfect place for criminals, radicals, and revolutionaries to conspire. Evie knew for a fact that a mage terrorist cell holed up in a textile warehouse further south, and an opium smuggler stowed his illicit goods in amongst the trinkets and vases in the next building over. Even if their own cause was far more righteous, this was still the place to congregate: here in the muck with the common man, and away from prying eyes.

She stopped by the door of an unmarked warehouse, cast a furtive glance towards the merc, raised a fist, and delivered a quick, syncopated series of knocks. There was a muffled voice. Locks and bolts slid and clicked behind the door. Then it cracked open, and a man peeped out at them. "Oh. Hey, Iefan. You got him?"

Evie winced at the sound of her given name, but didn't correct him. "Got him," she confirmed. "Let us in, Martin. It's fucking freezing out here."

"Not much better in here," Martin chuckled, but he stood aside to let the two of them pass. He was right: the warehouse was cold and drafty. Dark, too. Further back, she could just make out the silhouettes of the boys, their faces awash in wan lamplight. They'd gathered around a stack of crates like generals around a war table, smoking and shifting on their feet and muttering to each other.

"Come on." Evie motioned for the merc to follow. She squared her shoulders and approached the huddle, ignoring the looks of disapproval and disdain that a few of them shot her way. A familiar figure stood on the far side of the makeshift crate table, his fair hair set ablaze in the light. Garrett wasn't the tallest man in the room, or the biggest. Still, he commanded one hell of a presence by voice alone. In fact, if he argued any louder than he was, he'd risk giving up their position to anyone who happened to pass by the warehouse.

"Sorry I'm late," Evie called to him.

He turned, and his mouth hung open mid-sentence. He looked Evie up and down. Something like relief flashed ever-so-briefly across his face. And then...that was it. That was all he gave her. Not so much as a 'hey, Ev' or a 'thanks' before he turned to address the merc.

"Good," he said. "You'll do. So. Before we get started..." He set his hands to his hips. "Questions? Comments? ...Concerns? Or shall we get this show on the road?"

Goldie

Snarg followed silently. Oddly silently as it were for someone of his size and shape. Even his armor had been crafted to move with next to no noise as it was made of hardened leather without any metal besides the odd buckle or two. He was already at a disadvantage when it came to speed because...well...just look at him, but adding metal armor on top of that made him more buffoon than merc.

His silence did not mean his brain was idle, however, and he had already memorized the exact steps and landmarks needed to find this location or, more likely, find his way out. The little knock at the door was cute. That also got tucked away into a vat of useless knowledge that he might one day possibly need.

Fuck it was still cold.

Why wouldn't he have taken a job in Fuckin Essryn. Oh, right, that might mean running into his brat of a sister. But here? What the fuck was he thinking.

And he was hungry.

Ah, the leader guy was talking. Questions? No. He didn't ask questions. But.

"There seems to be some confusion if I'm supposed to save her or save your enemies." he grunted.

Nightcrawler

"Save...who?" Garrett asked, momentarily perplexed. He clearly hadn't actually expected a question. He glanced around, frowned, and gave Evie a look like she was a disobedient child. "Oh...you uh...you mean Ev?" As the same realization dawned on the boys, a good many of them grew visibly uncomfortable. One of them scoffed, leaned towards another, and muttered something nasty. Garrett held a hand up to quiet them. "Hold on, hold on," he barked, and returned his attention to the merc. "I'm not following. You're going to have to elaborate, there. Ev? What did you tell him?"

Evie sighed. They were wasting time, and all because the big guy was too dense to understand no killing. "I told him what I was told to tell him: half now. Half on completion. No killing," she added with emphasis, shooting the merc a look. Was he really here to argue? Seriously?

Goldie

Ev. So that was her name. Interesting. Generally if he wasn't provided names ahead of time, he expected no names for the whole job, or at least code names. But here this pompous ass hole was just tossing them around.

Snarg was annoyed. Very.

He leaned forward and got very close to the man's face, "She didn't break any rules. She's a good little soldier. Ready to die for a cause."

Fuck you, he thought.

Nightcrawler

Evie watched on, hands clenched in her pockets. What was this guy doing? What was his deal? Didn't he want his money? Either way, she was staying out of it. The point where men started getting up in each other's faces and posturing and grunting was the point where she backed off. There was no way they'd listen to her in this state. She'd still watch, though, if only to get a better grip on this incredibly odd mercenary.

Garrett leaned back ever so slightly as the merc approached him, and his eyes bugged out just a little. And then, to Evie's dismay, he did the stupidest thing he could have: he flipped open his coat. He set his hands to his hips in the obvious sort of way that a man would when he wanted to make the presence of his firearm known. The stolen pistol glinted in the lamplight. Evie stared at it. She knew he had one, although he'd been tight-lipped about where he got it. Everyone in that warehouse knew full well that he wouldn't fire the damned thing, either. But would the merc put two and two together?

"Well...good," Garrett replied. "As he should be. As we all should be," he added with somewhat less conviction. "Now look. We're on the clock, here. Are you in or not?"

Goldie

Snarg held his ground. This little man meant nothing to him except for someone who could fill his purse and, honestly, there were so many like him in the world that he could easily turn him down and find another, more suitable coin purse. But he was here. Snarg was in the Gods worst fucking place on the planet and he wasn't about to be intimidated by someone so small.

Fuck me, he thought as the clothes swept back to reveal the pistol. He was even stupider than Snarg had initially thought. What did he expect this reveal would do? Send the nearly 7 foot Essryni shaking in his boots? His fucking boots were bigger than him. Not to mention, Snarg could snap him like a twig before he'd even be able to draw it.

He should leave.

He should turn down this disorganized Gods awful shit show of a job and find someone else.

But the thought of the girl behind him being stuck with this asshole's sense of morals.....no. No no no. He wasn't here to protect anyone. He was here to follow orders. He was letting his personal feelings cloud his judgments already and he had only just met them.

He should leave. Couldn't get too close.

"If you pay, I'm in." he found himself saying against his better judgment.

Nightcrawler

Garrett chuckled. "You'll get your money, big guy. Don't you worry." He seemed to relax. Like he thinks he won that one, Evie thought with a frown. He was getting more and more erratic. Unstable, almost. Making stupid decisions. Throwing caution to the wind. It had been gnawing at her for a while, and this little scene brought her anxiety right back to the forefront. She wasn't sure how many more of these incidents she could take.

Seemingly done posturing, their fearless leader flipped his coat back down, stepped away from the merc, and clapped his hands together with a godawful smack. "Right!" he called. "Let's get started, boys." He returned his attention to their makeshift war table and pointed at a floor plan scrawled hastily in charcoal. He dropped his voice to a murmur. "Our target tonight, as you well know: the estate of our esteemed Lord Arundel. Or rather...his Lordship's reputation. I know this is a different one from our usual. I know we aren't normally the sort to stick our noses this far in government business. But desperate times call for it."

Garrett paused and regarded each and every one of them in turn as if daring them to challenge him. He was now wholly bought into his own performance. And as their eyes met, Evie knew it was, without a doubt, a performance. It was almost like he was hiding something. His pale gaze slid from hers as he continued.

"He's always been a mean one. You all know it as well as I, by the condition of the scullery maids we've helped out of there. Well, now it's worse. My informant tells me that the latest one left the estate grounds rolled up in a rug. Now the indentured ones want out. And that's where you come in."

He went on a while longer, pointing at the map and expounding the details. Evie noticed that he didn't quite explain the merc's presence. They'd all assumed he'd be there to protect them. The merc seemed to assume it too...but Garrett never went so far as to say it outright.

Something about this felt very wrong.

"Well," he finished at long last. "Time's a-wasting. You two, grab the carriage and be ready to move into position. The rest of you, wait for me out back. Uh...mister, uh...Snerg, was it? Snorg? Come with me. I'll get your payment settled."

There it was. She hadn't been imagining things. Garrett never handled the gold, and now, suddenly, he was concerned with clerical work? No. He had the merc here for another reason entirely, and this was simply his chance to brief the big, cranky brute on what he was truly being paid for.

"What in Ansgar's name are you getting us into?" Evie muttered as she shuffled out back with the rest of the boys. Her stomach churned. It was going to be a long night.

Goldie

Snarg didn't reply. He didn't feel the need to correct the idiot in front of him.  Because that's what he was: an idiot. An idiot with a secret he didn't want his little group to know about. A group that had worked together, clearly, but couldn't be trusted with whatever the hell of a scheme he had constructed.

He made a grunt to let this guy know he heard, but otherwise remained silent as they walked. Snarg wouldn't be the one to break it either. Silence was often intimidating and he wanted to see how long it would take for the little man to shake in his boots.

Nightcrawler

Garrett led the way into the back offices with all the subtlety and tact of a man distracted by a host of pressing matters. The room was cramped, and the ceiling low. He maneuvered between the haphazard stacks of crates and file boxes, stopping in front of an unassuming safe at the very back. He turned. He eyed the merc with a weasely, surreptitious sort of look, took a breath, paused, and listened. He made damn certain to wait until the rest of the crew were well out of earshot.

"How would you like to make triple?" he asked.

Outside the back door, Evie paced and wrung her hands. The boys seemed uneasy, too — not that any of them would ever come out and say it. She scoffed. "This seem a little weird to anyone else?" she hissed.