Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In the Dark of the Night Snarg will Find You [Nightcrawler][M]

Started by Goldie, October 12, 2023, 04:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

Snarg remained silent and made even more mental notes of their location as they traveled through what felt like aisles of boxes and crates as one might expect in a warehouse kind of place. Instinctively he made escape plans should things go unexpectedly awry: that crate would slam into boss-man's face with one good swing of the merc's arm, that box was sightly open and had the look of chaos with a well placed sword swipe.

The safe was indeed unassuming and Snarg simply noted its presence before tucking it away - couldn't throw that in a pinch - and focused his attentions on the overly showy man before him.

Triple, eh? What kind of desperate shit was going to come tumbling out of his mouth now?

"I'm listening." Snarg grunted, crossing his arms tightly across his chest. His muscles pulled visibly at his coat seems. Gods could he just smash this man in the head and be done with him?

But dead men couldn't pay triple.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

Nightcrawler

Garrett grinned and chuckled. A bead of sweat ran down his forehead. He wiped it away with the back of his hand, leaving a trail of grime. "Good," he said. "Good, good, good. Right. So." He paused and listened again, nodded, and continued. This time, he lowered his voice. "Let's say there's this fellow. A bodyguard of sorts. Dangerous man. I know the boys go on about not killing, but, well...it would make the job a whole lot easier if this bodyguard were...just...taken care of. Preferably before we get started on the rest of the job."

He crossed his arms in reflection of the merc. "You look like you can handle yourself, Mr. Snerg. What do you say? Triple what you were promised. Half now. Half when the job's done — provided he's dispatched, of course."

Goldie

Snarg took a moment to lean lazily against...something. He didn't really pay attention to what it was - could have been a wall or a stack of heavy boxes - the only thing that mattered was it didn't move under his weight. His arms snaked across his chest and he made an uncomfortable amount of direct eye contact with the man before him.

He was sweating. That...was never a good sign. Especially from the hiring party. He was nervous and Snarg had a sneaking suspician it had nothing to do with him.

Finally, he huffed once.

"Unless you expext me to go after every bodyguard shaped object, you're going to have to give me a lot more information about your mark."

Nightcrawler

"Hah! Good man," Garrett exclaimed, and he clapped the merc heartily on the arm. He'd obviously taken the man's response as some sort of agreement to the change of plans. "Of course you do, of course you do..." He nodded, turned, and finished opening the safe. From it, he pulled a hefty stack of coin and scraped it into a bag before shutting the safe door again. It was clear that he was stalling. When Garrett stood again, he was somehow even more visibly nervous.

He gripped the coin bag. He looked the merc over. Something about the man's appearance seemed to put him at ease again. He smiled. "Well, let's see. If memory serves, he's a big fellow. Short, light hair — lighter than mine. He'll likely be in a room adjacent to Arundel. He may be in heavy armor if he hasn't knocked off to sleep yet. And he'll be wearing something with a silver lily emblem. Is that enough to go on?"

Goldie

Snarg wasn't the most up to date on Connlaoth fashion or...anything for that matter, but the mention of the emblem made him frown. That made this surprise addition to his job seem even more high up on the totem pole than it originally seemed. This man was slimy.

He didn't like it.

"Four times." He responded after a few moments of quiet reflection, "Four times what I was promised and I'll find your lily emblemed man." He made certain to overly emphasize the part he was certain made this job even more dangerous.

Nightcrawler

Garrett froze at the sound of the merc's challenge. For an instant, anger flashed in his eyes, and a sneer tugged at the corner of his mouth. Then he relaxed again, and the expression was gone — replaced by that same old nervous yet affable expression. "Hah! You drive a hard bargain, Mr. Snerg. Very well. Four...four times. I'll just...nab the rest." He turned back to the safe, but not before looking the merc up and down. Shortly, he'd pulled another stack of coins into the bag and locked up again. "Here you are. Feel free to count before we're off." He shook the bag in front of the merc, inviting him to take it.

Goldie

Snarg let him hold the pouch out for a few seconds longer than was comfortable before stepping forward to take it lazily from his greasy, shady hands. He made sure to remain a step too close to him and simply...loom. The mercenary wanted him to be uncomfortable, he wanted him to realize that whatever element of charge he felt he had was a ruse.

He had no control. Snarg could shove a blade into his throat before he could scream. He could smash his head into the safe and let it cave in on itself before any of his rag-tag team could stop him.

Just feeling the weight of the bag and seeing the amount slipped into it was enough for Snarg to feel comfortable, so he didn't open it up before putting the whole thing into his pocket. Then he turned and walked back to where his initial charge and the rest of the crew were waiting.

Nightcrawler

Finally, the door swung open, and out stomped that giant of a merc. Evie didn't know what in Ansgar's name took them both so long, but it didn't bode well. Garrett was absolutely up to something. Their fearless leader followed a good thirty seconds behind and when he shut the door and turned, he wouldn't look any of them in the eye. He seemed stressed. Sweaty, too, she observed with a grimace. She could only hope that whatever it was he was doing, it wouldn't put them in danger. But who was she kidding? Of course it would.

Evie jumped as Garrett spoke up. "Alright," he barked. "Let's move, boys. Remember: split up. Don't be spotted marching all together. We'll meet just outside the estate wall. Ev? Why don't you go with our friend, here. Show him the way."

"Uh...sure." She pulled her coat tighter and shivered as she looked up at the merc. "Well...I guess it's just you and me again. We'd better get going. Come on, then, Mr...what was your name again?"

Goldie

"Snarg." He barked, still annoyed at the extra job he'd been given and the secrecy it involved. Why hadn't the guy just told them all? What was with making this a surprise?

What if this guy with the emblem was a friend.

Well, shit.

Shut the fuck up, he thought to himself. This was why he just did what he was told. Once he started asking questions people died - not that he was against people dying, it was his job most of the time - but good people. People who didn't deserve it. People he was supposed to protect instead of playing the hero.

No. He would never be a hero. Never.

"I'll follow you." He told Ev and had to catch himself when the bite had left his tone and was replaced with...tenderness? Fuck. "Move." He snapped.

Better.

Nightcrawler

Evie raised her eyebrows at the merc's whiplash change in tone. "Oooookay then," she replied, and headed off down the street. It was eerily quiet in this part of town. She knew they'd have to weave through a few busy streets, and that would fill the void a little, but for the most part, this walk was going to be...awkward.

Besides. Now she had all the time in the world to ruminate on what exactly Garrett had pulled this Snarg man into the back room for. After a few minutes of silence, with only their echoing footsteps for company, Evie turned to him and huffed. "Look. Mr. Snarg. It's pretty obvious that he's up to something stupid and dangerous. I'm not asking you to tell me everything, here, but can you at least throw me a bone with this? I'm in the dark. The boys are in the dark — as far as I know anyways. Whatever he asked you to do...is he putting us in danger?"

Goldie

"Just Snarg." He snapped back. What was it with these guys and their insistences on formalities. He wasn't no fucking mister anything. He wasn't a lord or a prince, he was a mercenary who was fucking good at what he did and made enough to live well.

"Your entire existence with this group puts you in danger." He answered, eyes ahead, never making eye contact. He was here to do a job. But he always wasn't entirely sure what the first part of the job was. Protect them? But don't kill? Maybe. The only thing he knew for certain was he needed to kill him.

He paused for a moment, considering the questions she probably still had and the incessant talking that was bound to follow, then he added.

"Your boss is a fucking moron."

Nightcrawler

"...Great," Evie replied. It wasn't great. It wasn't in the least bit great. Whatever Garrett had promised this Snarg merc must have been enough for him to want to keep his mouth shut. Or maybe he just wasn't the chatty type in the first place. She chewed on her lip anxiously. The silence lasted all of ten seconds before she turned and started up again. "I get that," she said. "I know it's risky. And you know what I'm asking. Is this unnecessarily dangerous? Is he planning something more stupid on top of the already stupid thing we're doing?"

Goldie

Well fuck.

She kept talking. Kept asking questions. This was the first time he was working with a group that didn't actively include the person who hired him. Normally it was work alone or work with the boss.

This, though? He didn't want to get to know this woman. He didn't want to hear the trepidation in her voice and the anxiety in her questions.

"Fuck. Ev, is it? Ev. Listen." He kept his eyes forward, "Your idiot boss gave me a second job but it shouldn't affect yours. He did not actually tell me anything about the shit you're supposed to be doing. So I can't really answer your question, can I?"

Nightcrawler

Evie let out a laugh that could have been a sob. "Great!" she said again, a little louder than was wise. "Of course not." She picked up the pace until she was panting. Any faster and she'd break into a jog. She was so damned tired of Garrett's sneaky back room bullshit. He must have been so happy to have found a merc who'd keep quiet about it, too. "I don't know what I expected," she muttered under her breath. Then she thought about it a little more, and the crease between her brows softened a little, and she turned and walked backwards while she addressed him. "You heard the plan back in the warehouse. You have questions, big guy, now's the time to ask."

Goldie

Snarg let out a short, barking laugh, "Oh sure. Sure. Attack Arundel's reputation. Very specific. Lots of good information there. Did you bring paint? We can vandalize his portraits." Fuck, he was angry. This whole mission made him angry.

He sighed again and rubbed the bridge of his slightly crooked nose, probably from being broken at some point, his tanned skin so different from the ghosts of the north. What would happen if this sigil guy never made an appearance? What if it was just a quick in and out job? Was he supposed to seek him out? Hunt him down even if it cost the rest of the group?

Why had the weasel man been so vague!?

"My main priority is to make sure your little group is safe." He lied, scowl deepening.

Fuck.

Nightcrawler

"I'm not your enemy, here," Evie shot back. "Can you cut the crap for a second?" She sighed and tugged her coat tighter again. "I'm sorry. Okay? I'm sorry. This whole thing is a mess. Whoever your contact was should have briefed you a lot better than you have been. I don't even know everything you're supposed to know. I just..." She groaned. Why was this her responsibility now? If she gave the merc the wrong instructions, it would all fall back on her. If she didn't give him anything, though...he might misunderstand. And people could get hurt. She slowed her pace and got just close enough that he could hear her when she lowered her voice.

"I'll go over it again. Okay? And just...tell me what's not making sense. We need to get in quietly — we being me and the boys. We're sneaking the indentured ones out the servant's entrance. Then they'll be taken out of town in the cart. We need you there with us as backup in case it all goes to shit. But no killing. That's what Garrett told us."

Goldie

"I'm not your enemy." He agreed, "But I'm also not your friend." his voice was rough, rumbling deep in his chest as he talked and the scowl still firmly painted across his face. The more he listened, the more Ev tried to weasel information out of him, the more uncertain he was becoming. She wasn't a hardened criminal. She wasn't someone who worked with his lot on a regular basis. She was a freedom fighter. Someone who did things because they were right and because she believed in them.

She clearly wanted to believe in him.

But that was a mistake. No one should believe in him. He had lost that honor long ago. Now he hoarded riches in caches in the desert and traveled to take jobs that no one else would in the hopes that maybe...what? He would be redeemed? Or perhaps just killed in a good solid fight.

He didn't even know anymore.

Maybe his entire existence was just penance.

"I will do my job. You do yours."

Nightcrawler

Evie clenched her teeth. "Yeah. Message received." He was right. Who was she kidding? He was a damned merc. He was here for the money and nothing else. And she was on her own. Whatever it was that Garrett had planned, she'd just have to figure it out on the fly. It wasn't a comforting thought.

She turned her back on him and led on through the streets until at last, they'd made it to the other side of the city. Beyond the north gate, the road wove between a scattering of manors, each a flagrant show of wealth. The closest and most impressive of these was their target. The wind picked up past the city walls. It was even colder out here than it had been by the warehouse. Evie shivered and jerked her head for him to follow. "Come on. It's that one."

By the time they'd reached the estate wall, she was desperate to get inside and warm up. The boys filtered in in ones and twos, and the cart had passed them by and circled back around. It was a slow and miserable rendezvous. "Has anyone seen him?" Evie whispered. "Is he late?"

"Who?" asked Garrett as he strode up to meet them. He'd managed nothing short of a miracle: for once, his voice was low and quiet and didn't carry. "Me? Never." But it wasn't lost on Evie that he'd shot her the kind of smile that doubled as a threat. She shuddered again. "Right, clock's ticking," Garrett muttered. "Mr. Snerg? You're with me. The rest of you: give us five minutes and start the extraction. We'll meet you in the servant's quarters. You know the plan. Let's go."

What? Evie opened her mouth to protest, but the wind was howling and he'd already snuck out of earshot and she couldn't call to him without risking everything. That wasn't the plan. That wasn't the plan at all. "What is happening?" she whispered.

Goldie

The tension was palpable once The Weasel showed up and started barking out orders in a way that was intended to feel jovial but was anything but. Things had already been tense as he and Ev traveled together in silence, her clearly annoyed and angry with him and he not really caring – it wasn't like they were going to brain each other's hair and sing about peace. After this job they'd likely go their separate ways and never see one another again. He certainly didn't expect to return to Connlaoth for anything shy of a King's ransom.

But this guy...this leader managed to destroy any sense of positive anticipation that came from jobs like this. They were nervous, but there was still that feeling of camaraderie and connection that accompanied doing something everyone strongly believed in. But now?

Now the plan had changed.

Weasel had changed it without warning. Snarg knew it immediately. He didn't need to be a mind reader to understand that everything happening was so far out of the ordinary for them – it was making him nervous now.

And he never got nervous.

But he had a job to do. He had a man to kill. He had a....woman to protect? But no...that seemed to be impossible now that they were splitting up.

His scowl deepened.

Kill the man. Separate the group. Barely so much as blink when a mercenary asked for an exorbitant fee. He knew it was exorbitant. He had thought that the guy was just an idiot. But now...?

Shit.

"Hold on. Gotta give back her stuff." He growled at the leader, knowing full well he had nothing of Ev's things in his possession, but also knowing that none of this was right. And if his gut was correct, no one was going to make it out of here alive.

Fuck fuck fuck.

He walked up to Ev and reached in his bag like he was going to pull out something she had asked him to carry. He made sure to position his body in a way that Weasel couldn't see what he was doing and then made uncomfortable eye contact with her while placing two deadly sharp sheathed daggers in her hands.

"Take better care of your things. I shouldn't have to carry stuff for you," he snapped, then, much quieter added, "even if I am getting paid four times the agreed upon amount." There wasn't much else he could do without unraveling everything. Hopefully it was enough. Hopefully she was resourceful and smart enough to take the warning. Hopefully she would just leave.

Then he turned, continuing to keep her hidden behind him so she could stash the weapons, and then followed his "boss."

Nightcrawler

"Wh — wait, these aren't — "

And then it clicked. "Nooo, no, no," Evie murmured. Dumbfounded, she watched the merc return to Garrett's side. He'd all but confirmed it: not only did the boss have something dangerous planned, but it was absolutely going to throw her and the rest of them in harm's way. Whatever this was, Garrett had emptied the safe for it without a second thought. And if money was that expendable to him...they would be, too.

Because that was Garrett. That was who he was. It was always about the big picture with him. Hell, it was with all of them, in a way, and Evie had never argued with it. But it was one thing to die doing Ansgar's work. It was another thing entirely for every last one of them to walk into a death trap. She had to do something. She had to warn the boys. She stowed the daggers and waited until Garrett was out of earshot.

"Rhys," she hissed. The boys, holed up beneath the estate wall like soldiers in a war trench, stopped muttering amongst themselves. The one she'd addressed — Rhys — shot her a scornful glare for interrupting. She trusted him as much as she could trust anyone. He was level-headed. He listened. It didn't stop him from casting the usual icy disdain her way, though. "Something's up," Evie said as she joined them.

"No shit."

"No. Something's really up. Even the merc's on edge. He said Garrett paid him four times the original."

That got their attention. "He's lying," snapped Hamish. "Probably just bragging. Trying to get in your trousers. Foreigners," he added with a snort.

"I don't think he is," Evie muttered. She ignored the jab at her station and produced the daggers. One of the boys whistled in appreciation as she drew one from the scabbard. She wondered why the merc cared at all. He had his money. He'd get more even if she and the boys breathed their last breath tonight. This was just another job for him. Wasn't it? "Look. He's as big of an asshole as any merc. He still made a point to give me these." She met Hamish's eye. "You ever tried to pay a whore with knives, Mish?"

Rhys went quiet. They all did for a time. "We've still got to do this," he said finally. The rest murmured in assent. "We're here for a reason. We're not backing out over some spooked merc. Garrett's gotten us this far. I say we trust him a little further. All we know, he's covering our asses from a different angle."

"And if it's a trap?" Evie whispered.

"Then you're free to chicken out and go back to whoring."

She huffed. She closed her eyes and tried to steel herself against the dread that rose in her throat. "Fine. It's almost time. Let's just get this over with."

Garrett snuck along the perimeter, a very large, very unstealthy merc in tow. They edged carefully towards the back gates. There was a suspicious lack of surveillance here, and with the wall acting as a shield against the wind, it was now unnervingly quiet. "Guard should be taken care of," he murmured. "It'll be clear." But he paused by the gate anyway and took some time to draw his pistol. He looked it over. Then, seeming satisfied that it was ready for action, he led on.

They took an indirect route up the hill, weaving between windswept trees in the sprawling estate gardens. Though the path from the back gates was well lit, the gardens themselves provided ample shadows in which to skulk. And skulk they did, all the way up to an unassuming side entrance on the wing opposite the servants' quarters. Here, Garrett motioned for Snarg to crouch, shoved the pistol into its holster, and tested the door. "Damnation," he muttered to himself. "All meat and no brain." It was unclear to whom he was referring. He dug around in his pockets, produced a little kit, and drew from it a ring of lockpicks. "Keep an eye out for me," he whispered as he got to work.