Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

“Wasted Nights” [M] [One Shot]

Started by wandering_giraffe, December 28, 2023, 08:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wandering_giraffe

NOTE: this one shot takes place about 10 years or so in the future

Come and gone...

Fenris sighed. Ever since the fateful quest in the Essyrni desert Elara had not been herself.

They did get married, and the wedding was beautiful. It was a huge wedding, despite Fenris's protests. There were even a few nobility from Connlaoth in attendance.

The perfect storm...
The honeymoon went well.
But Elara had been so unstable. She had messed with one magical artifact too many...and it had taken its toll.
Fenris was Elara's glue, she kept her from being too irrational and kept her grounded.
On and on...never ending...
Except when Elara would insist on leaving and going on weeks-long quests...and every time she came back, a part of herself stayed behind.
Open doors, empty arms...don't look back...no pretending
Elara began to drink more and more...becoming a mere shell of what she once was.
Fenris's patience was wearing thin...

"Listen, Elara, you can't keep going on these...these goddamn quests! They're not good for you! I don't even know where you go! And if something happened to you I wouldn't even know where to start!"
I don't want anything in this broken home...not the memories or the things we own...so take what you want...
Fenris's voice was anguished, hurt from years of Elara making the same mistakes over and over and over.
Elara chucked an empty beer bottle at the wall...
"When we...we married...you promised me I could explore still."

Fenris stayed a safe distance from Elara.
Her canine ears bristled, tense and laid back.
"I also promised to keep you safe! You know god damn well you've almost got yourself killed—-I've literally lost track! You're reckless! You have no regard for the people that love you...that care about you!" She choked up, and forced back her tears. Now was not the time to cry.

Can you hear me? I'm trying to hear you; silence strikes like a hurricane...

Elara stood up angrily.
"If you truly cared about me"—-Fenris cut her off.
"I do care about you! Which is exactly why I'm so concerned! You can't do this it's not good for you! I...I need to go..."
And she opened the door and left their cabin, shifting into her wolf form and going to the small glade they used to spend time together in. It was raining...but Fenris didn't care.

...Im singing for you...you're screaming at me...it's hard to see your tears in the pouring rain...

Fenris curled up in the glade and just wordlessly cried, grief and anger overtaking her. She'd tried everything...she didn't know what to do. Her guard was down. Hunters never came through here. She was safe...

Take what you want, take what you want and go...

Elara angrily stared at the door Fenris had left through, her fist clenched, her eyes angry. She was in the wrong and she knew she was.

...I still remember a time when you felt like home...you and me against the great unknown...

Behind Fenris, two poachers advanced upon her prone form, one holding a dangerous crossbow and the other holding several knives.

"This one's fur will sell for a lot...we should get this one.

Elara sighed, getting up out of the chair she was sitting in. Where did Fenris go? Probably to the glade...
"Fenris?" She called out. It wasn't like Fenris to just leave...

"Shit! There's humans around! Hurry! Kill the wolf quick!"
The poacher raised his crossbow, sighting in on Fenris's back, and pulled the trigger.

Elara had just made it to the entrance of the glade when she saw the poachers grab Fenris's limp form and run in the opposite direction.

Can you hear me? I'm trying to call you;
"Fenris!"
"FENRIS!"
She fell to her knees.

...Silence strikes like a hurricane...

"No...Ansgar no! It's my fault..."

...Its hard to see your tears in the pouring rain...

Thunder boomed and rain fell...but Elara remained on her knees...soaked and grief stricken.

[Song credits to: One Ok Rock, "Take What You Want."
All credits to their respective owners.]