Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What's a bullet, anyways? (Ricohard)

Started by Anonymous, August 19, 2006, 04:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Arethusa absolutely hated this place. The last time she had checked, city folk did not scream with horror when they encountered a wandering elemental. They did not ask their soldiers to shoot bullets into that elemental. They did not tell her that she was disobeying some human law by using magic. Damn those Connlaothans, or whatever they called themselves.

She swore softly as she applied a poultice to her wounded shoulder. She had had no idea that magic users were unwelcome here, or else she would not have come. Then again, maybe she would have simply brought some poison ivy with her. She stood up as she used up the last of her poultice. The wound would hopefully heal; she wasn't sure what the metal in the bullet would do to her plants.

She began heading for the forests. It would provide her cover, just in case any hunters decided to come after her.

Anonymous

The pounding of horses Hooves along the road heralds the knight. Dressing in black armour which still managed to gleam in the sunlight. He held no sword or shield at the moment as he cantered along the road.

He noticed the movement at the edge of the road and slowed his horse to walking pace and removes his helmet, shakeing out his dark locks with a warm smile to the woman.

"M'lady" he says loudly trying to gain her attention.

Anonymous

The pounding of hooves made her turn. Yes, someone was pursuing her. She eyed him with dislike, fishing through her pocket for seeds. Pity she'd forgotten the nightshade at home. "Yes, sir?" she asked, more irritable than pleased. He was probably some human scum that the city had sent after her. Still, she had had the idea that knights sent in pursuit of wicked witches did not smile warmly before skewering them or whatever it was they did those days.

She sighed. How she hated ettiquette. Even in her father's court it had been unbearable. And humans, with their ability to exaggerate, would no doubt make it worse.

Anonymous

He stopped the horses a few paces from her and slipted off. He stopped to pat the horses flank and took a moment to check that the black mare was not overheated or too exhausted. He cut a slice from an apple and gave it to the horse before cutting one for himself and offering her a third.

"you seem injured ma'am" he says softly "and alone, these roads are no place for a woman alone." he looks to the woods on either side. "There are many wild animals and worse that walk these wilds."

Anonymous

She sighed, but took the apple slice he offered her and nibbled upon it. Still, a man who treated his horse well-despite the fact that it was a filthy herbivore- couldn't be too bad.

He was a typical knight, it seemed. Chivalrous, willing to believe that all ladies were weak, foolish creatures....some things didn't change with the decades, it seemed. "I am sure I am quite safe, milord." she answered civilly. "I am passable with a dagger and know my way around a forest. As for the wound, I have already treated it with a poultice."

Anonymous

He nods gently watching her for a moment longer cutting himself another slice of apple "well, i would feel better if I accompanied you to the nearest village or to your home."

He stretches his arms and cracks his neck, getting out the tension of the long ride.

Anonymous

Damn. The nearest village happened to be the exact one she had just fled from. Normally she would have faced them without further ado, and maybe taken some pride in her handiwork, but she had come ill equipped for combat. Many of the herbs she had brought were ones specific for healing, as she had been under the erroneous impression that the people were harmless. "It is not too late, milord. I could reach my destination easily before nightfall. The woods are not too dangerous, and I know enough of herblore to ward off wolves and other manners of beasts." Just in case he suspected magic, she added, "Wolves tend to detest the smell of buchu." A complete lie, but he probably didn't know enough of herblore to  tell otherwise.

Anonymous

He nods "still, that won't help you against the brigands" he says softly Twirling his knife in his left hand he watches looking around for a moment, as if half expecting them to leap out at his mention of their name.

Anonymous

Apparently her lies had passed inspection, she thought with relief. Still, if anything, the man was persistent. He seemed to refuse to admit that ladies can defent themselves, even against brigands. What was it with men, stupidity, pride, honor, and chivalry? By Rhea, she was getting very annoyed. Only the debt kept her from throwing some briar seeds in his face and storming away. Sometimes her little quest got on her nerve.

"I am perfectly capable of defending myself, sir." she said, exasperation evident. "I have walked through many forests in my life. Indeed, I was born in one. My father taught me defense and my mother taught me woodcraft. Good enough for you?" Well, perhaps what she said wasn't completely true. Mother had taught her how to summon the Meliae to her defense, but she had saw no rowan trees around. And anyways, she was born knowing forests like the back of her hand.