Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Forgotten Shadow...

Started by Anonymous, August 30, 2006, 12:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

(OOC: Mind if I join in?)

Anonymous

Anonymous

.two things already, he made it sound like that was a good start, there were millions of things left. so she thought, anyhow. well, i'm glad that you've had luck with it so far. hopefully you continue to. she really didn't know what else to say, turning to ACAUDRIC she threw out a questioning glance, for what were they to do with him now? or rather, were they all going to forget about the encounter and carry on with their seperate realities...or try and help this new stranger? she figured even if he didn't care to come along, she would take the latter. afterall she couldn't hardly leave him to rot away. inhumane didn't even scrath the surface. this and the fact that SIREN was starving for some sort of attention. hundreds of unaging years passing was quite some time to spend with only the birds and trees. how language had managed the wrinkle in time was amazing in and of itself.

((it's short, i sorry =())

Anonymous

Qvysic Riuuqroda asked herself for what felt like the hundredth time just why she was bent over in the fields outside of latest place of residence, pulling yarrow and thistle and ironweed from the reluctant late summer ground. Though her dark face still held the same beauty it had when she was but a young woman, strong and clean and marred only by a long line between her brows... Well, she was not young by any standard. And, to be honest, her her plain red dress was a little too thick and a little too warm; her cotton clothes had all needed mending or washing, neither of which she'd had time for in too long.

The dark skinned woman grunted as a particularly stubborn ironweed root finally gave way to her relentless tugging. She wobbled in an ugly crouch, but caught her balance just in time and tucked the offending herb into the careworn apron that was the only thing giving her dress any shape.Kiv sighed, looked at the remaining weeds with a baleful eye, and plopped herself down on the ground.

"I deserve a break," she rationalized to herself, picking at the dirt under her nails. "I've been pulling weeds all day for that damned old woman, first to the north and then to the east, and I only get a pittan--"

She broke off her internal dialoge sharply. She'd just felt... What? Qvysic pawed around for her cane and rose swiftly to her feet, back stiff and eyes searching, their ring of sapphire expanding just a tiny bit. She'd felt... What? A... a stirring. A jolt somewhere in the back of her skull, a sleeping beast twitching towards wakefulness...

Someone had just used magic. Someone had just used magic in Connlaoth. Qvysic's face hardened as the implications sank in. She had to find them. She had to find them and stop them. This was the borderlands, yes, and people were less fervently anti-magic here as they were in the cities, but... she had to stop them.

With a scowl weighing down her face, the dark woman strode off through the grass, cane thumping rapidly against the earth. Her lurching gait did not have to take her far, though even that journey brought a glisten of sweat to her brow and a hitch to her breathing. None of that stopped her from bellowing at the odd triad when she found them.

"You fools! Do you not know where you are?!"

(Heh. Sorry about the wait. Kiv isn't very nice to me, either.)

Anonymous

.SIREN'S ears twitched slghtly as some other form of sound was brought into her perception. some living being besides the three of them was very near. the dull thuds and pitter patters of it's ingression were not that of a beast. a small wrinkle formed along the edges of her nose as the earth's perfume was swooped into her for inspection. the smell of dirt, sweat, and tire. her eyes searched about discretely, giving no warning to the others that someone was approaching. for surely, they could tell that for themselves. instincts were there to enlighten and protect ones self. not to leave them standing about in stupor only waiting to be found.

.reguardlessly, SIREN was still trying to figure out exactly what this thing was when the other appeared. she seemed very upset about something. surely most people here knew of the laws, the bane of magic and such, but in her half existance she knew nothing of it. so instead of defending herself and the others, or even attempting to excuse herself, she began. the smile upon her face small and innocent. giving away completely her blissful unawareness of the world around her and of their laws and punishments anymore. no, actually we do not. do you know where there is a healer?. back in the ages where magic was still just that, magical, and not criminal...asking where a healer could be found was really not an ignorant thing to ask. however, in the change of times, this was incriminating in and of itself since, afterall healers were in fact magic and magic was unlawful. the stunned look on ZATHAIN'S face was probably not helping his situation, either. to know that she had cunducted magic, and that ZATHAIN was the receiver would commit them both. though it was hard to tell what would happen with ACAUDRIC.

Anonymous

(if the begining sounds kinda wierd, its because siren posted while i was writing..  you're too fast XD)
Zathain equipped himself of his worn weapons as Siren spoke.  He really didn't have a lot to say as there were still plenty of things he had no clue of in this world so he simply nodded here and there, but he felt something amiss in his surroundings.  Something was coming this way.

He slowly reached for his weapons and placed his hand on each.  "If anything was to attack me, It would be hard to fight back if they started with the element of surprise," he whispered under his breath...  He rose to a crouching position as to spring into a fighting stance if anything aggressive came for him.

He glanced around the horizon searching for what could be coming and found the figure of a female approaching quickly.  The woman seemed to be older as she looked to be carrying a cane of some sort, but with his recent discovery of magic, physical abilities could very well mean nothing.

Zathain never looked directly at the woman as to show he noticed her, but simply watch out of the corner of his eye until she began to yell.  The harsh tone she created sprang him back into a fighting position, but this time he stood his ground even as pain shot through him.  This woman did not seem to be here to make a friend.

The cool collected voice of Siren spoke.  She was quite calm in response to this relatively random scolding.  Zathain relaxed and released his strong grip upon his daggers.  He let her do the talking, as she was much more articulate than he, and he really did not care to talk in response to this random scalding.

Anonymous

Qvysic tightened her grip on the black cane, ignoring the throbbing of her leg as she glared daggers at the three before her, panting after her rapid hobble. The woman was an elf, and thus would be carted off the instant a native saw her... Even in these backwater villages, where little magics were acceptable, an elf was just too much. The fighter-- well, the one that had fallen into the stances of a fighter; both men looked like they lived for violence-- was obviously the target of the magic she had sensed. He even still had a faint glow about him to her eyes. The third...

Her eyes widened, their ring of blue becoming more prominent. He reeked of death, of blood... Even bound, even half blind to power, she could feel it, swarming about him. This was one steeped in darkness... as she had once been. The dark-skinned woman felt a coil of fear twist into life in her stomach and yearned, as she had countless times before, for the comforting touch of her power. This one she would watch, she vowed herself as she pulled a cloak of iron will and ice about that worm of fear.

"You are in Connlaoth," she enunciated, voice now as cold and stiff as her posture. "If you have not heard of it, it is a nation that reviles and fears magic... and by using it, by even being an elf, as in your case, Lady, you have comitted a grave offense punishable by death. By being in this field with you, I am implicated in your crimes. By warning you, I have put myself at even greater risk. You should leave,  in fact you should leave now, and not put my risk to waste."

Anonymous

.SIREN'S eyes widened massively with the announcement. her heart tore widly at her chest as it slowly rose and fell in mellow horror. a place where elves were not welcome? they were the most peaceful people that she knew. reguardlessly she was more than willing to flee if it would promise life where there was threatened death. a cruel death from the sounds of things. her jaw clentched to control a small whimper of fear before she looked back to the woman. i thank you, i will leave now. just please tell me where i can hide. she only hoped that the other two were as willing as she. she had a feeling that this woman would not bid the other two a fond farewell either, and that they all had to promise to leave, at once.

.she looked to ACAUDRIC, still not sure whether ZATHAIN should be wandering about. not even sure if he was completely able to sufficiently walk on his own accord. she certainly could not carry him. it was as simple as size, she was useless to ZATHAIN without him. and so now, perhaps even two lives awaited his decision. it would be quite a feit to go strolling through the inner city without being noticed. she of course feared this because at first glance it was obvious that she was elvin.  small, with pointed ears, and a complexion just as hers did not pass for an ordinary citizen.

.i don't think he can walk on his own very well, and i am no adverturer. she tried to hint this at ACAUDRIC in hopes that he would befall pity on them and help them to where ever it was that the woman would tell her of, if anywhere.

Anonymous

Acaudric looked over at the two whom he had begun to think of as comrades, despite the fact that he had only met them a few minutes previous.  He instantly realized what Siren was hinting at with her words, and though he wanted to continue searching for his brother he could not just leave them here in this now-threatening place.  Acaudric did not much like this old woman since he sensed her approaching from a distance.
"No.  We will not leave here.  I have heard of this Connlaoth before and have disliked it ever since.  These people will have to deal with our presence here, and if they try anything at all I will personally see to it that their lives end quickly."
By nature Acaudric was peaceful and light-hearted, but when pointless prejudice and persecution came into the picture the burning fires of his wrath would be unleashed.
"I am searching for my brother, and I sense that he resides in this place now.  You two are going to join me.  I do not care about whatever warnings you give us, mi'lady, magic WILL be made tolerable in this country or death be upon it."

Anonymous

.her mouth dropped at ACAUDRIC'S heroic plan. he had sentanced them to death, more or less. SIREN rocognized this. certainly, they were comrads and such but mass suicide was all but a nice morning frolicking in the fields as she had intended. certainly he wasn't serious. they could continue the quest for his brother perhaps after lying low for some time. he must have gone mad. to defy such a nice warning and declare treason all within one sitting and into the face of an obviously loyal subject to the King. reguardless, she said nothing at first. whether that be from shock, or prolonged respect for the male kind, she wouldn't speak out against him in front of a stranger, or in front of his fellow man. a very bit disrespectful that would be. no, instead she would stand along him, supportingly for now, and bring up her concerns in a more appropraite time, in a more private conversation. surely, he would be furious if she embaressed him in front of other males. or this, woman.

.make no mistakes, she was more than willing to help him find his brother, she hadn't alot else to do in the next few timeless years. however, it would be nice if those years were long and prosperous. she was only just starting to emerage back into pulib areas and the eyes of others. she didn't need the public places to be the gallows, and the eyes to be ablaze with hatred for her. she'd request a more secure location later. hopefully one where the laws did not persecute her for living amongst others. now all she had to do was wait for the uncertain response of the other woman. she could only assume it would be nothing too pleasant.

Anonymous

Kiv stiffened, eyes flashing wide and then quickly to narrow, her strong and handsome features twistingâ€"her reflexive self-control had kicked in too late, freezing her face into a mask of mingled rage and ice.

“You are a fool, sir� she spat, striding towards him and not stopping until she was inches away, gazing up into his bright green eyes with her own burning amber and sapphire, framed by a lacework of wrinkles. “If you want to throw yourself into the maw of the beast like so many before you have, do so. Do you think you are the first to take it upon yourself to change the world? Do you think none before you have tried and failed and died for their mistake? By all means, throw away your life. Seek out your brother if you wish, and change the world with him.�

She paused, then reached up and grasped his chin, pulling it down like a mother does to a recalcitrant child. “But know that you do not have a right to the lives of these two beside you.�

As soon as she got the words out of her mouth, she flung her hand away as if she had been burned, a trace of fear worming its way onto her mask of a face. She had felt, more clearly than ever, the darkness of that one, and had heard the roar of her own answering. She wondered briefly if he had felt the same of her, and hoped he had. Perhaps then her argument would carry more weight, and she would be more than just some irrational old woman to himâ€" he would listen, damn him, and not carry others with him to their graves.

Anonymous

.ah yes, so tempting it was to nod her head and stand along side the other female. typical though, no, that the woman comes to reason well before her fellow man. inside, she stood bravely, robust, and rediculed him for his haste. there was much time to find his blood. but they needed to hide until it would be safe, and therefore possible to make it long enough to find them. however, when her dreams of defiance manifested themselves, it was a mere sentance, a suggestion softly spoken. perhaps we should hide, and after a time has passed, and we are safe, and this woman is safe, then we can continue? he was lucky that this poor lady didn't storm off and deepen their danger, tell everyone of their location. SIREN had never seen anyone, ever stand up to a man as this woman did, and deep down she poured respect for her.

.ZATHAIN was in no condition to be on a mad hunt for his brother. SIREN needed some time to mend him up a bit before they set out. so the time spent in hiding would serve as a multi purpose. heal ZATHAIN, keep themselves all rightly alive. now the task was, of course to convince the ring leader as he had become, that it was the best idea. she couldn't bring herself to say much else, past experiences had silenced her perhaps forever to speak her own opinions. she would have said nothing had the woman not inspired her. and yes certainly they weren't the best of friends, this threesome, they barely knew each other. still, she was lonely, and conditioned instincts told her that when a man led, simply follow. but this time she was worried. she was obviously a mythical being, she was no easy thing to hide to say the least. she'd pass as a half grown child before a fully grown, human woman.

Anonymous

Zathain hated to admit it to himself, but this relatively rude woman had a point.  Out of all three of them she seemed to have the only clue of what was going on.  He guessed that to suppress such a powerful tool and weapon such as magic, this... Connlaoth... had to have a great amount of strength.

"They are right..." he stated bluntly. “We really don't have any kind of strength among us to overthrow someone who can suppress such a force as magic.  I'm in no condition to help, Siren seems pretty fragile and you don't seem to have the ability to take an army by yourself..."

He felt sort of bad, demoting all of their strengths, but none of them really seemed to have much of a spirit to fight for the time being.

"Besides, It might help having some time to plan before we stage a spontaneous full scale assault," he added with a sarcastic tone.

Anonymous

"Alright.  We'll lay low for a while, at least until Zathain here heals and we develop a plan.  I have searched for my brother for far too long, and am very anxious to find him," Acaudric said, sighing heavily.
  He was still recovering from the woman's wrinkled hand being placed upon his face.  After she had taken her hand away there was a strange tingling left over.  The sign of a magic-user.  Perhaps this woman was more credible than he had previously thought.  Apparently this unnamed woman once used magic.  Perhaps she herself had tried to change Connlaoth in her youth and had failed.  His rage against prejudice still burning hotly, he decided that going into hiding for a time would be a decent idea.  It was painfully obvious that his two new comrades had no desire to go rushing into the country looking to change the world, so he waited patiently for them to respond.

(Sorry if these posts aren't as good as I'd like them to be.  The writer's block is not completely gone yet : )

Anonymous

"What’s with this guy..." Zathain thought to himself. "Why would he want to overthrow a kingdom for suppressing a force that he doesn't even use.  Had he known magic he would have used it rather than painstakingly bandage my wounds.  Every mage normally knows at least one flesh mending spell.  Its as if he wishes to overthrow this kingdom for his brother, but then his brother would have to be an elf or magic-user, and I'm sure his brother would have taught him something as the latter, and Acaudric would look more as Siren if he were half elf."

None of this really made sense to Zathain, but he thought getting involved in such a struggle could bring something back from his lost memories.  Looking at his own appearance he knew he had been a fighter.  No normal man would carry such a deadly arsenal without looking for an enemy.

"Well then," he spoke calmly, "I don't see anything wrong with that.  Somebody else pick a direction to flee toward though, you two have a much better idea of our surroundings than I do."

Anonymous

Kiv only half listened to the two men talk; she heard enough to know she had dissuaded the dark one, as she thought of him, from his foolhardy plan, and that was enough. What she needed was to calm herself down. It had been years since she'd had to even think about magic, let alone been confronted with three who had felt its touch, and in all of her years of banishment, her powers had never felt so close, so... immediate. She was still a little afraid of the dark one, not to mention a little irritated, but still... A moment's pause was enough to tuck that agitation under again.

"Connlaoth is ringed by the Kilanthro Mountains-- on all sides," she intoned.  "You should get as far into the foothills as you can before nightfall. I will go back to my village, account for my absence as best I can, and then return with supplies. The tall one knows I can be trusted-- if I betray you, I also betray myself. Light a fire or signal me in some way when you make camp, and I shall come to you."

Anonymous

Zathain was caught off guard by this woman's sudden kindness.  She had suddenly gone from an outraged hag to a generous elder.  What confused him more was her "betray you, betray herself" line.  He pondered what she meant, but at this point it was of no importance.  "If these two will trust her," he thought, "then I shall also.  These two have more knowledge of this world than I do, even if it is quite limited."

"Well, I don't see anything wrong with this."  He looked around and spoke again. "It looks like we have a long way to go, so we should try to begin our journey.  It might take a while in my state."

He clenched his fist in frustration.  He hated to admit it, but he will be a liability for a while, and he hated it.

( awesome... the thread is goin now!  :3 )

Anonymous

.((finally =p))

.she too was a little perplexed at the woman's sudden change of heart, but either way she left it to the men to do the pondering, she just browsed the horizon and tried to accept the idea of adventure again. last time it hadn't gone quite according to plan. wandering out into nowhere with two men didn't seem wise at first. then again, she seemed to be the only magical one. so perhaps it wasn't as foolish as she first thought. besides, the woman would check on them tomorrow. to make things simpler, we will just follow that star, that way tomorrow if there is any difficulty to see us with just fire and smoke, you can also follow that star until you see us. helpless romantic, yes. she pointed to POLARIS, the north star. it was far enough away that it supplied ample directional ability. and SIREN knew that tomorrow it would be in the exact same place. she waited for any objections, and began to stray off from the woman, to begin their little journey. she knew she had to heal ZATHAIN again soon. she could smell the decay even from where she stood. but she'd let it progress alittle more, to try and understand it versus just supress it. perhaps it wasn't magic made, and was simply a bacteria. or, something. though she'd never seen a bacteria infection...quite like that.

.thank you she whispered this to ACAUDRIC once as she was certain that no one else would hear. she thought it disrespectful to address him so in front of others where it might have seemed he was trying to let it be her way. she didn't want him to think that, so she waited until there was no one else for her to be bragging in front of, and said so very humbly. it was impressive that he came to reason so quickly. men typically got so worked up about things, that nothing could take it from their heads. but he had. meanwhile..ACAUDRIC would have to heal ZATHAIN get around, if only for a short while. SIREN hoped it was a mild climate, they certainly didn't need a cold environment as well. but not too far away, her dwelling in the trees had supplied warmth easily, it would only make sense this place be the same.

Anonymous

Zathain looked up to Polaris.  He felt a strong sense of hope emanating from the star, as it was the only thing that seemed familiar in his surroundings.  Maybe this star would not only lead their group of wanderers to the north, but lead him to the point where he lost his memory at which he could start his life again.  Zathain grinned and laughed at himself as he stood.  He was still in pain, but he didn't pay attention to it.  Instead he looked upon the star in awe.  "Maybe these two could really lead me to my memories..." he thought to himself. "If nothing more they can at least help me to start something new... possibly even something better."

"Well then, we should begin our journey.  We don’t want anybody catching up to us from Connlaoth, now do we?"

(( I wasn't sure if i should have started walking or not.. figured the half dead guy leading would have been a bit... meh... btw, should we start a new thread in the mountain board now then? and who’s going to do that...?))