Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wolf in the Woods

Started by Anonymous, October 21, 2006, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The large, tawny dog--and he resembled a dog more than a wolf, though there was nothing domesticated about him--was spawled on a rock in the sun.  The clearing was a habitual haunt of his, and after a filling meal there was no place he liked better.

His short, stiff stub of a tail twitched ocasionally as he dozed.  Every so often he'd wake, peering around and rolling over into another positon.  After most of his post-meal lethargy had lifted, he heaved himself to his feet.  A shake dislodged most of the twigs he'd aquired, and he start off for a nearby creek at a trot.

Anonymous

The wolf blinked hazily. She heaved a cough. She lay there for a time, gaining strength, mind numbly coming into focus. After a time, she rolled over to her belly, tipsy and drained.

She blinked drearily, gazing around her surroundings.

Where.... where am I?

She shook her head weakly, the motion making her head spin. She could feel something slightly heavy flop around on the back of her neck. When she managed to muster up her strength, she pulled herself to her feet, struggling forward to the soft trickle she could just faintly hear on the edge of her consciousness.

Struggling to the bank of the creek, she collapsed in the cool sands, and dropped her head to weakly fill her stomach of the sweet waters. After a moment, she found her vision was clearer. Looking around, she saw she was in a wooded area, trees alive and well. In the distance, a deer sprinted away upon catching her scent.

The wolf sighed with confusion, peering into the waters to see her reflection.

Who... am I?

She saw in her reflection, a lean and lanky female wolf, seal gray in color. She had a white bib, white stockings on her front leg - speckled with that same seal gray. Her nose was white as well, and she had a blaze down her face. Her ears were large, and almost comical. She also saw what had been heavy down her neck - a mohawk... a zebra-like mane, completely white. On her white chest was a dark gray, upside-down crescent.

Puzzled, she struggled to her feet, and looked around behind her to see she had a long tail dipped in white. She had a medium gray saddle on her back, but she did not see that there was also an upside-down, darker crescent on her shoulders. Her left hind toes were white.

She studied her markings with great curiousity, noticing her eyes were lavender-gray when she gazed upon her reflection again.

I'm... what am I... a wolf?

She could not remember anything. Try as she might, whatever memories she might have were deeply buried, and impossible to reach. Frustrated, she pawed at her face with a whimper.

Her stomach grumbled.

Hungry...

She did not notice the arrival of the other wolf, so great was her frustration, as she whimpered and nipped her own paws and pawed her own muzzle.

Anonymous

Thirst was forgotten in the light of this new discovery.  

He stopped just as he came into view, ears pricked towards the source of the whimperings.  Standing with one large paw lifted, the tempus wolf whuff'd softly, trying to get her attention without startling her overmuch. His mouth gaped open and the long, pink tongue lolled out to one side as he panted softly from his jog there.

Anonymous

The female wolf spun around to the stranger, and despite her greatest urge to qail and flee, she regathered herself, and stood as tall as she could, head lowered.

"Who... are you?" she managed, though obviously weak in voice and in current state, her eyes were burning. Her ears were pricked forward as she studied the other wolf before her, and she added slowly, softly, "Where am I...?"

Who am I? she dug inside for answers, but none were unearthed. She pressed her own mind for answers, but her tornado of questions never seemed to have an answer. Maybe this one stranger would be kind to her.

Anonymous

Again, the stubby tail wagged.  He briefly contemplated telling her his real name--but, no, wolf though she was, the Tempus wolves tongue would be lost on her.

::A human once dubbed me Fang,:: he said, his amusement at what he considered a highly inappropriate moniker clear.  ::That works well enough, I suppose.  As to where you are...well, Sirantil Valley, as I've heard it called.  And just for the sake of politeness, what shall I call you?::

He cocked his head to one side as he looked at her.

Anonymous

At the voice in her head, the wolf jumped slightly, standing back further, lowering her head in a bullish manner, ears tilted back, though not flat.

He seemed friendly enough. Still, she kept her guard.

"Fang..." she muttered darkly, narrowing her eyes with great mistrust. As he told her where they were, she dared to take her eyes off him and look around her surroundings.

The stream was friendly and clear, teaming with fish, sparkling with life. The grass was green everywhere, and the trees were alive with birds and wilderness. The smell on the breeze was gentle, warm. The sun was shining. She looked back at him, moments after he had finished speaking.

My name...

"To be honest... Fang.. I really don't know. I don't remember... anything." she ventured to say. She backed away from him, and looked into the waters for her reflection. The face of a wolf stared back at her, face full of confusion. Large ears sat upon her head, half mast. She noticed that in comparison to Fang, she was quite small. She backed away from the stream, and turned back to Fang.

"I suppose you may call me Little-... no... hm... Wolf... ling. Wolfling... it is all I know to call myself right now." she said at last, sounding a little ashamed of the fact she did not know her name. "I dont know who I am... or where my home is."

She looked a tad hopeful for a second, ears perking up. "You wouldnt happen to know where my home is, or who I am?"

Anonymous

Fang's ears flopped to the side slightly.  ::No little wolfling, I do not.  Though you are here, so perhaps this place was.  If not, it is at least for now.  It is a good place.::  He bowed his head and rubbed his muzzle on his leg, soothing an itch.  As nervous as she was, he was entirely unconcerned.

When Fang looked up again, his ears were once more perked forward.  ::I have food though, not long killed, that I have hidden.  Food in the belly makes everything better.::  He paused, and then added helpfully, ::It was a lucky kill and too much for me alone to eat.  I do not mind sharing.::  He started to apologize in advance for it's chewyness--it had been an older doe--but stopped himself.  Fang didn't think that the wolfling really wanted to hear all his rambling.

Anonymous

Wolfling stared at him suspiciously, but she did indeed feel her stomach prickling at her. She debated internally for some time, before she gave in with a soft grumble of frustration.

"Sure," she muttered. "I am very hungry."

She stood still however, watching him carefully. "Lead the way."

Anonymous

Fang turned around without hesitation and lead the way to where he'd hidden his earlier meal.  He started off at his usual ground-eating trot, but after a moment slowed down for the sake of his companion.  

He finally halted at the base of a large, fallen oak, and squirmed halfway into a nook formed by the angle of the trunk and the ground. Fang latched his teeth around a hind leg and, with a few soft grunts, tugged the doe out into the open.  She was an older animal, well past her prime and alone to die by the time Fang had found her...but hey, food was food.  He hopped a few feet away and flopped onto his side, tongue lolling.  

Eat!

Anonymous

Wolfling waited until he was ahead of her and walking away, before she followed, keeping up with him. Her build was long and lithe; a runner's body.

The smell of meat and blood came to her. An unnameable desire came up in her, rumbling in the core of her stomach, ending in a soft growl within her throat. Before she knew it, or control herself, Wolfling dashed forward, past Fang, seeming to have forgotten him.

As he drug out the dead animal, Wolfling latched onto it, ripping out a hunk of it's flesh, swallowing it down hungrily.

... Hunger. That's what that desire was.

Ravenous, Wolfling filled her stomach. When she was done, she stood back, looking dazed. She hadn't realized she was so hungry... the desire to eat had come so quickly over her, the need to sustain herself so great, she had almost been in a haze, a fog, the entire time.

Anonymous

Fang simple laid down a few feet away, his front paws crossed and his shaggy head reasting atop them.  His expression was, if anything, bemused, but he said nothing until she seemed to come back to herself.

Better, yes?  Although I must admit I'm at a bit off a loss as to what to do now.  His tail wagged slowly as he thought.  Perhaps there is something I can do that can...jog your memories a bit.  That, howewver, might be best done later.

Anonymous

Wolfling glanced at him, then looked down at the carcas. Though decidely more clear eyed, she still didnt seem quite in.. "place."

"No, Fang, I do not remember anything, stilll..." she said slowly. "... though I do feel better."

She looked around. The ground sloped down further to her left, and as she looked at it, she could see a great herd of animals sweeping across it. Deer? Caribou? Whichever, they were beautiful. Like a gentle tawny flood overcoming the land.

She sighed, and looked at him. "Tell me what you know of this place... perhaps that will help."

Anonymous

((Sorry I'm slow, Wolfling.  Between Nano and the fact that I'm looking for a new home for my horse right now, my muse is digging her way six feet under.))

Fang's response was tinged with regret.  I can't tell you a lot, actually.  I've only just been in the area enough to find some good hunting spots.  I am a...spiritual advisor, of sorts, for my people.  I'm in training, and part of that training is wandering the world.  He almost said shaman, but held himself back.  The term 'shaman' tended to imply at least some magic--which, in truth, it did.  He knew that this area was not known for magical tolerance, however, and while she might not hold those views, it was best he kept quiet on the matter anyway.

Anonymous

Wolfling's spirits appeared dampened, and she lowered her head a bit, ears drooping. She could sense that he was holding something back, however.

She sat down, wrapping her long tail around her body, watching Fang carefully. "You must know something... anything." she reasoned.

"Something for me to keep an eye out for. Every land has it's laws."