Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

My last gift.... (Private)

Started by Anonymous, January 30, 2007, 12:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Night had come and gone, replaced by the dawn and the new day. It was not quite midday and the sun had yet to reach its zenith within the azure blue sky. It was a cool day, warm enough to be comfortable but not overly so. The birds and other animals that inhabited the valley had been up and active for hours, just as these two had.

Sat beside the edge of a lake you could find the most unlikely companions. The forty foot dragon had curled himself around his female companion who leant against his side quite happily while staring into the waters of the lake with quite a bit of intensity. He was Chaos in the flesh and she was a wondering Shadow Bonded to his heart and soul and honoured to keep him out of trouble. About as unlikely a Bond as any they loved each other with reluctant affection, but the look in his black eyes and her dark emerald green ones showed that despite the annoyed loathing they did indeed care.

Valandil held his head above Kythe, watching her and feeling her emotions automatically as her gaze was fixed upon the calm waters of the lakes surface. He could not have said they were clear, for they were not, in fact the images there would have been unexpected to a passer by, but he knew why they were there and came to expect them when he woke after she did. More often that not Kythe woke before her young dragon, and he would find her staring avidly into the waters of this lake where they had decided to stay for a while, finding peace there. They had found each other barely a month ago, and since then had avoided contact with anyone other than each other, not for any reason other than they needed time alone. Kythe had not even seen Pol since Valandil had come back to her, the last time she had seen her partner being when they had been off hunting their latest 'bounty' (the pair having given them a great amount of trouble and shattering Kythe's right shoulder), but since then she had not seen him.

Valandil watched the man in the image look out from the window's of the building, looking tired and drawn as well as ill as he turned his blue eyes gaze to the horizon mournfully. He knew this one well, for here stood his Bonded's Blood Brother Tsukasa, stood in Sanctuary in the bedroom of her grieving and wekaned husband Lucivar. The image followed Tsukasa back to the bedside, wher Lucivar lay, his breathing shallow and ragged from the endless weeping since losing his wife. Noone knew where they had gone, there was no sign of them anywhere and noone had seen them the day they had vanished. As Lucivar rolled over and looked to Tsukasa expectantly, only to receive a sorrow filled shake of the head and ending up weeping again the image was soon banished by real tears from the world the occupied currently. Tiny crystal like tears shattered the image as Kythe lost control and concentration. Valandil crooned softly, offering his support as he lay his head beside her. Kythe leant against his head, burying her face within the soft warmth of his black scaled cheek.

I wish that I could take this pain away from you my Bonded, though as I have said to you before I shall never understand why you allow this emotion called Love to control your life so.

Kythe grinned and wiped the tears from her eyes as she sat up.

"Because I can."

She said simply.

And still you wish to go through with today's plan?

His tone had changed, now full of dread and worry at what was to follow today when Pol finally met them. Kythe had missed him dearly, her mind often drifting to thoughts of the young lad, thoughts filled with happiness that always put a smile upon her face. However Valandil was not sure whether today would be the same, although today she would see him in person she was to offer him a gift, the one last gift she had within her powers to give him and Valandil knew that this could cause both more pain than it would anything else.

"Yes, it needs to be done Val. I took him from that world all those months ago. I stole him from his family and I must allow him the opportunity to touch them for one last time and say goodbye, and so must I."

Even if it kills you?

"Even if it kills me Valandil...."

Anonymous

Mr. Silverheart had been in his favorite tavern, sipping a fine tankard of mead as he sat doing nothing more then thinking on the events of the past few months.  He'd come to realize that he'd never have memories of his old life the way he wish he did, forever they would be stuck in his mind as if he was watching the life of someone he was very close to unfold.  When his mind's eye saw the memories of his first love, an angelic creature named Luna, die with his child yet unborn, he felt very sad, but not in the way that he should have.  It was the sorrow of sympathy, not of lose.  The man kneeing beside the dying angel's bed was not him, not him as he was now, it was another man, a man so very close to him, but another man non the less.  Memories flew through his mind, he forced himself to stop on any that should bring him a strong emotion, meeting Rhosyn, the birth of Ireland, Hope's wedding, and anything else that was attached to a powerful feeling.  But each time they came into focus he felt the emotion he needed to, but far more subdued then it should have been.  It was like he was watching his twin's life, not his own.

As the honey based drink flowed into his belly, he found it odd that while most of his memories belonged to another man, there were some strange exceptions.  Namely the fact that any trait or tendency that Pol had, Mr. Silverheart also had, and any memory of Kythe, those were real.  He figured it was probably because Kythe had been the only thing to stick with him since the moment he woke up.  Both Pol and Mr. Silverheart knew Kythe, and both knew her well.  It was strange to think of this other man from DaeLuin as Pol.  He was Pol, but it was easiest that way, sorting out what to call his former self had proven quiet a task, and the answer had only come to him after having one too many mugs of ale.

But Silverheart was not in that tavern any more, and the alcohol from the mead was working its way out of his system as he ran through the valley.  The bar keep had relayed a message from his friend and partner while he'd been contemplating his lives.  Apparently she wanted to meet him here, and having not seen her since their last bounty, he was eager to meet with her again.  Being with her, even when their lives were hanging in the balance, always seemed to brighten his day.  He had to admit to himself that he'd been very worried since their last parting, what with her shoulder and all, but it seems she was doing well enough to leave him a message.  The day had started out very blah, now there was something worth running for.  Not that a wolf needed much excuse to go for a run.

Even moving as fast as his body would allow him, the half wolf's keen nose easily picked up the scent of Kythe and her dragon on the air.  They could not be too far from him now, he knew that there was a lake nearby and had to guess that that was where they'd being meeting this day.  The sun was just about to reach its peak in the sky, the time of day the people her called noon.  He felt his mind begin to drift off towards the nature of time, but quickly reigned it in.  Today was not a day for philosophy, it was a day for reunions.

In the name of all the Gods!  We've not been separated that long!

The thought crossed his mind at the same moment that his keen ears picked up the simple sentence Even if it kills me...  There was no doubt as to who had spoken those words, she was the one thing that had completely held over from the life of Pol.  Quickly calling out his human form Silverheart shifted into the form Kythe knew better.

Even if what kills you, lass?  He'd begun picking up more of her verbal ticks, one might say, and while he noticed he didn't mind.  It was a new life after all.  Nothing shall kill you so long as I have a say in it, Kythe.  You have my word on that, ya hear?  Besides, my old memories say you died once, I'm not ready to let that happen again, fated or no.  From the last time he'd mentioned the subject, she'd wacked him across the knees, he was ready this time, but didn't expect it.  It is good to see you again, Shadow, and you as well.... his memory froze for a split sec as it searched for the name of the dragon, Chaos.  I had not realized that you'd made the jump too.  But I suppose it is to be expected.  Is this an important meeting or simple our own little reunion?

Anonymous

Valandil sighed and closed his eyes so as to keep his dignity and stop her seeing the pain in his eyes. The pair had not been together that long, both had lived a long time, and had lived many lifetimes, but this was their first together. When Kythe had been born Valandil had already been within the world and the dragon that had hatched when Kythe took her first breath had been assumed to be her Bonded, not him. Now however they knew better than that, each time they touched each other they felt that familiar burning in their heart and skin, they moved in liquid unison, echoing the others moves as though shadows of one another, their thoughts and emotions ran together, both sharing the others experiences. To think that he would lose that unity so soon pained him, even if the dragon WAS reluctant to admit that he liked having her this close.

Despite her dragon trying to hide his emotions she knew what ran through his mind, how could she not? Leaning heavily against Valandil's neck she absentmindedly scratched at his eye ridges, grinning as a low humming began to rumble through her companion, vibrating against her back as she leant upon him. She closed her eyes for the moment and allowed her mind to drift to better days, days when life had been easy and she had had a man to lean upon and love. She remember Lucivar's sweet voice and the way he took care of those that came to Sanctuary, she remembered the spontanious romantic gestures he gave her, she felt his arms around her as they danced in the crisp winter air gathering warmth from the other. She felt his lips pressed to hers and her lips began to tremble, begging for him to come to her and kiss her now.

Soon... soon she would feel him against her again, if only for a moment. It was going to take all of her strength to do this, but it would be worth it for one moment with him again. She owed it to Pol too for dragging him with her to this damned world, had it not been for her he would still be at home with his wife and daughter. Sighing her eyes opened as the guest of honour appeared and spoke with her.

Her heart leapt at the sight of him as it had begun to just recently. She still did not understand this new feeling when thinking of Pol, it had never done it before. Valandil looked up and shifted his head as Kythe stood to greet her young partner, the dragons black eyes looking at the Ranger with a mixture of loathing and pity for what was about to happen.

"You'll soon see."

She said softly with a smile.

You're never going to get used to using my Elven name are you wolf? No matter. I am as well as she is. I had not planned on jumping, but the pull on my heart when she did was too great to remain behind... besides, who else would annoy her if I did not come along?

He said with amusement. Kythe shot him a smile, thankful that her dragon was being somewhat nice to Pol today compared to his usual meloncholy towards everything that walked the earth.

"It is somewhat important Silverheart yes, though I'm still glad to see you regardless. Come, sit with me by the water."

She said motioning with a hand to sit beside her as she righted herself and sat back down, her eyes fixed upon his.

"I have a gift for you Pol, you may or may not like it depending on your opinion. You know that I've never forgiven myself for dragging you here without saying goodbye to the others... well I can help with that."

She sighed and looked to the waters, running her hand over the calm surface an image appeared of his home in the forests back in DaeLuin. There was a lot of activity, people running about with mournful looks upon their faces, but most obviously was the forest dragon stood keening at the entrance, though there was nothing but silence their end. She ran her hand back and banished the image.

"The images cost me nothing to conjure, but what I plan will cost me dearly and may kill me. I can, for a short time at least, send our souls back to DaeLuin. You will be solid and whole there, you will be able to talk with and touch those you love, but only for a limited period before my strength wains and I will have no choice but to bring us back here. I took you from your family before you said goodbye, they deserve an explanation as to why we've both gone from their lives. I have to speak t my brother and husband so while we are there I shall leave you alone to do as you wish, but you must come to me when you are done if i do not come to you first. As I said, this will take a lot of strength from me."

Anonymous

There was no better feeling then the one that swelled within Pol's heart at seeing the world jumping woman before him.  It was strange, something inside him, likely his old self, said that he should not feel so when he saw her.  From his memories of his other life, he knew that the two of them had been good friends for hundreds of years, but for what ever reason the feeling of happiness he experienced when spending time with her was much more then it should have been.  As if he was growing fonder of Kythe then he ever had before.  What it meant, he didn't know, nor for the moment did he really care.  Even if she should dump the most horrible of new upon him, at this very moment he was happy just to spend time with her.

Pol couldn't help but smile at the dragon as he addressed him.  For what ever reason his words were much calmer, much more pleasant then they usually would be.  Perhaps it was this, or the smell of uneasiness in the air, but something told the wolf despite the happiness he and Kythe were clearly experiencing there was a wrongness surrounding them.  Cocking his head to the side, as wolves and dogs often did when slightly confused, he walked over towards the woman and the dragon.  Sorry Chaos.  My memories tell me that I was getting close to having a good grasp on your name in the elven tongue, but since the jump I've lost much of my ability to pronounce elven words correctly.  Perhaps one day in the future, dragon, but not this day.

Pol listened as his best friend spoke to him, bidding him to sit beside her.  Of course the latter did not take much encouraging, and he quickly found a comfortable position besides his former leader, upon the moist green grass of the lake bank.  With a slightly confused look upon his face the half wolf locked his golden eyes with her emerald ones as his hand moved to her own.  Kythe, I have never blamed you for bringing me here, nor will I ever.  You have to stop blaming yourself for that, lass.  You've no need to give me a gift, you saved my life by forcing me to jump, and many times since then as well.  If anything, I should be giving you a gift.

Pol knew there was no use in his words, and the way his partner's voice was, her mind was made up and there was no changing it.  She'd always been stubborn, and she always would be.  Of course the wolf would have it no other way, otherwise she'd not be the Kythe he knew and loved.  So he was not surprised when she raised her hand and conjured an strangely familiar image in the pool of water before them both.  He saw his old home, men and women he recognized running in and out, mumbling softly to each other as they passed a rather large green dragon he knew to be Serenity. They we mourning or perhaps comforting his, now, ex-wife.  And Pol finally knew why Kythe had been so upset with taking him.  While he was perfectly fine, those who were left behind were forever be doomed to the mystery of his disappearance.

Her words reached his ears, and he heard them on some level but his head was swimming.  Go back?  Even if it was for just a short time, should he?  He didn't remember any of them, not like he should, not like they'd expect him to.  How could he look Rhosyn and Ireland in the eye and tell them that he was here to say good bye?  How could he do that when in his heart he loved them only as one would love their friend's wife and daughter.  He knew they were his, but it was as if they were a dream, not real.  Could he in good conscience go back to them and tell them he loved them?   Could he in good conscience deny them a final good bye?  If he went back, he'd be forced to lie and say he loved them, would they see through?  If they did, it would only cause more grief for them, and they did not deserve that.  But they did deserve some closer, so they'd not hope that one day he might walk back into their lives forever.

Kythe, I will accept your gift on one condition.  If for any reason you feel as if you might slip away, bring us back.  There is nothing that is worth your death, even saying good bye to those who we left behind.  If you die from this, I am not joking when I say that it is likely I shall not be very far behind.  If you can promise this to me then, Kythe, I am ready to accept your gift.

His mind swam once again, trying his best to rehearse what he would say to his family.  What he would do when he greeted them.  They would likely be joyful to see him, and to see that joy turn to sadness would be horrid, but it must be done.

Anonymous

Kythe looked up at him and smiled, she couldn't help herself. Everytime she thought of him she smiled, and now with him stood before her she did it again. Recently Valandil had begun to warn her about such things, saying that it was not healthy due to their past, but he knew as well as she did that it was doubtful that she would even bother to listen to him. Both knew that her feelings were beginning to grow and that soon they would be totally unappropriate for the relationship they had now.

Valandil turned his black eyes from Kythe to Pol and chuckled slightly at the young lad. It did amuse him so much that thw wolf boy could not say his Elven name, but he understood how difficult it could be to grasp a new language and say it properly.

Nevermind, one day we shall have you calling me Valandil, until then Chaos shall surfice.

The dragon watched Pol sit beside his Bonded and he felt apprehensive about it. He could almost see the eagerness in the boys step as he went to sit beside her and it worried him slightly. Were both of them beginning to fall for the other? Surely this was not healthy for a pair as closely linked as these two? As Pol placed his hand upon Kythe's Valandil sighed inwardly, knowing that this did not bode well for the future. He had felt Kythe's heart jump at the touch and knew deep down what that meant.

Smiling softly at him she locked her fingers with his and looked deep into his eyes, sighing softly. She felt Valandil's warning without him even saying anything, but she ignored it.

"I know you never have, but I do. If it were not for me you would not be here, and so I have to do something right at least."

She knew that the gift could be more of a curse than a blessing, but surely their loved ones deserved an explanation at least. She could bare it no longer thinking of Lucivar mourning her loss as he did currently. Tsukasa had to return home and her husband had to let her go. She nodded at his words and squeezed his hand tightly in hers as she began to do what was necessary for the ritual.

She slowed her breathing, keeping her hand in his so as to establish a link between them. The wind began to stir around them, the waters rippling violently. Suddenly Kythe's eyes closed and her entire body went limp, falling sideways as her spirit left her body and jumped to DaeLuin, dragging Pol's with it.

Valandil sighed, surprised their connection was still as strong as it was. Steadily he manouevered himself around the pair to guard them until they returned.

Anonymous

To say that Pol was surprised when he felt his hand clasp Kythe's would have been something of an understatement.  There was a strange spark there, something he never would have expected, despite the fact that he knew that something beyond friendship was taking deep root in his heart.  His memories told him that they had been good friends back in the old world, and combined with the twin scars on his palms he realized that they'd once gone through a ceremony to bond them as mother and son.  It was strange to know that he had once called this beautiful woman his mother, they were not related, and while she was a good deal older then him, he was not exactly a young man any more either.

As he clasped the woman's hand he could almost feel Chaos' disapproval emanating from his large dragonic body.  But there was nothing between them for him to disapprove of.  The fact that she squeezed his hand meant nothing, they were friends after all, and she was comforting him before something that could possibly kill her, it was only natural after all.  Right?

The wind began to stir softly around them.  Pol's color shifting cloak blew about, covering him or Kythe or both.  Small fish swam in freight as their watery home quickly began to shift and be disturbed.  Tiny waves formed as they bashed against the banks of the lake.  The half wolf felt his spirit shift and separate from his body.  He looked to Kythe as their bodies began to go limp.  Be careful...  Whether the words actually left his mouth, he would never know, as they were both quickly transported from their bodies and this world.  Everything was both black and white at the same time, and never anything in between.  Time stretched and compressed, and Kythe was no longer with him.  Memories sparked of his last world jump, but before they could fully form the world became solid and he was in DaeLuin, in his former shrine that was deteriorating without the powers he no longer had.

Pol? a soft voice echoed, followed closely by Daddy?!  The half wolf quickly found his daughter hugging him tightly, tears flowing down the faces of all three present, the third being his wife.  We've missed you so much, Dad, where have you been?  This was it.  The former Guardian's eyes followed the slender form of his wife as she neared him, so the three might embrace.  Pol's memories of them weren't completely his, but as they all hugged he couldn't help but find himself loving them.  This was going to be a lot harder then he'd imagined.

Listen, I love you both very much, you know that.  But you see, a few months ago when I disappeared I was forced into another world.  I've missed you all so much, but I wasn't able to come back.  Even now I can't stay, the magic being used to send me here will only last so long.  But I had to come back to say good bye.  I love you both so much, and would take you with me if I could, but I cannot.  I will be fine, and I want you guys to move on, don't ever forget me, I won't forget you, but my life here is over.  I'm so sorry.

There was nothing but silence between them all, as Ireland and Rhosyn's eyes filled with tears.  Pol moved to kiss his daughter softly on the forehead.  You will always be my angel, Ireland, and I shall love you till the end of my days.  Moving to his wife, he took a deep breath and embraced her, kissing her lightly on the lips.  I love you Rhosyn, my wife, and I shall never forget you, but this has to be the end.  I cannot come back, again.

Neither of the wolf's loved ones spoke, there was just the simple look of shock and perhaps betrayal in their eyes as they looked at him.  By the end of his little speech, he could already begin to feel himself fading.  Tears fell from his face as he looked at them.  It wasn't far to them, he did not remember them like he should, so while his heart wept it was nothing compared to what they must be feeling, he was getting off easy.  What ever Gods ruled over fate were cruel creatures indeed.  As he left the shrine, he closed his eyes, opening them once again many moments later to see before him, Kythe.

OOC: make pol come in when/where ever you want, it all works with me.  Sorry for the crappy post >.<

Anonymous

Kythe had only just heard Pol's words of caution before the jump had thrown them apart. She had purposefully let him go so that he would go the his own home while she went to hers. The cold of the jump was soon replaced with the warmth of the real world, but she could not open her eyes for fear of breaking down and losing her connection altogether. Her body trembled on the spot and tears had already begun to leak from her eyes at what was to be done.

"Kythe?"

The voice was unsure but hopeful. A tone so familiar to her that it melted her heart automatically the woman opened her eyes to find Tsukasa's own blue ones looking back at her in shock and relief.

"Sister it IS you!"

Running at her he threw his arms around her trembling body and held her tightly to him. For a moment she remained limp in his embrace, not returning the gesture for fear of breaking her resolve. Finally the woman took a deep breath and wrapped her arms around his waist, resting her head upon his shoulder gently.

"Kythe where have you been? We've been looking for you and Pol for months, the World Tree calls for a new Guardian. We thought you dead."

His voice trembled and Kythe realised just how much pain her family had been in since she and Pol had jumped. Weeping softly she pushed him away from her gently, smiling softly at him as she placed a hand upon his cheek.

"I must see Lucivar Brother, I have to say goodbye now while I still have the strength."

She could see how glad he was to hear her voice, but the words she spoke offered him little comfort. Taking her hand from his cheek into his own he said nothing, knowing that she would explain when she saw Lucivar also. Leading her down the all too familiar halls of her old home they walked in silence, neither daring to speak. Tsukasa gave her a look before opening the door to her and Lucivar's private chambers slowly.

The woman's breath and heart caught in her throat at the sight of her husband stood at the window in their room. Even from that distance she could see how awful and weak he looked. The months of loss had taken their toll upon her lover it seemed, he was but a shell of the man she had married.

"Lucivar."

She uttered softly, tears flowing more strongly from her eyes now. The man gasped and turned quickly, his blood shot eyes fixed upon his wife with a mixture of shock, pain and ultimate relief. Running to her he bundled her into his arms and kissed her desperately. She responded in the same way, clinging to him and allowing herself to weep bitterly in his arms.

"You've been gone so long, where did you go? Oh Kythe I've been so lost without you."

He muttered into her shoulder. Stroking his hair with a hand she pushed him back as she had Tsukasa, letting her hand rest upon his cheek to offer him some solace and some comfort. Although it had been but a short time she could already feel her strength waining. In her mind she felt Valandil, back by the lake, offering some of her strength but warning her that soon she would not be able to come home and Pol's soul would be lost between worlds if she did not leave soon.

"Hush now both of you and listen to me well. Pol and I were attacked on a morning walk, Pol was pushed from the cliff and I went to save him. My wing was injured and I could not pull us back up so I jumped between worlds, like I did to come to DaeLuin before. I cannot come home my loves, I am stuck in that new world with Pol. I am safe and I am well. I love you both so dearly and I shall never forget you. Tsukasa, take care of the Rangers for me, lead them well and keep them strong. Give my love to the boys and say goodbye to the others for me. Lucivar, my beautiful, strong, darling Lucivar. You have shown me love again, you have mended my heart and made me happy. I love you so much my dearest, move on and open your heart to another, I love you."

With her lips pressed to his she let herself pull back. Cold once more she reached to Pol, allowing herself to be seen to Rhosyn and Ireland for a moment as she muttered a swift sorry to them for what she had done. Closing her eyes she allowed her spirit and Pol's to be pulled back into their bodies. Gasping as the warmth hit her hard she opened her eyes to find Pol's gaze upon her.

Sitting up she looked at Valandil and without even realising it burst into tears for her loss.

Anonymous

It had all happened so quickly.  One moment he was sitting on the banks of a pristine lake looking out onto the still blue waters as the woman beside him, the beautiful woman he'd known since before he knew himself, shift the water easily into the fluid image of the world that he knew he'd come from.  Pol watched silently, as the melancholy feeling permeated through the air around them, the forms of his wife and daughter swirling in and out of focus before him.  He knew that Kythe was seeing something out, her husband, or perhaps her brother, but the image for him was one his mind knew well.  Deep inside of him something wept the tears of a man who would never see his daughter or wife again, but it was something he barely felt.  The man who's wife and daughter appeared before him was not the man who saw them.  The Pol from DaeLuin was no more, though his memories and experiences remained.  What ever had happened when they'd jumped worlds had changed him in a way.  Though he knew that he must not have changed too much, Kythe was still with him, that meant something to him.

The next moment he was standing in a place that was dying, a place his memories knew well, the place that he had lived for the better part of his life.  He stood within the Shrine of Earth his family before him.  There was nothing he could do for them except tell them he loved them and would miss him.  He saw the pain in their eyes, and could almost feel the sadness, anger, and sense of betrayal that filled the room around him.  Slowly the half wolf's pair of golden eyes closed and the world blinked out.

When the bounty hunter's lids opened the only thing he saw was Kythe.  For a moment the world was silent, except for the soft sound of the small waves of the lake lapping against the bank where they sat.  Then the false peace was broken all at once.  Tears poured down the face of the woman he'd always known as sobs racked her body.  Pol acted on instinct, his heart weeping even harder then it had for the loves his past self would never see again.  Tears slowly made their way down his cheeks as he pressed Kythe close to him, wrapping his strong arms around her toned body.

Kythe...please, please don't cry.  I'm so sorry, you shouldn't have chased after me, Shadow.  You could still be with Luci if you hadn't.  If I could do anything to send you back I would, even if it would cost me my life, you know that, but I cannot Kythe, I can't.  But I will always be here for you, for the rest of my life, how ever long that is.  Pol raised one hand to wipe the tears from her cheek.  He knew deep down how he felt for the beautiful winged woman beside him, but at that moment he didn't need to think about it, he only needed to comfort his best friend.  I may not be your husband or brother, but Kythe I'll be here for you, always.

Anonymous

As the tears began to blur the image of the world she would now have to call home she realised just how different everything seemed to her. DaeLuin was as much of a blur as this place was now, the faces of those she had loved and taken care of were out of focus and no matter how desperately she tried she just could not hold onto the sounds of their voices or what they all looked like. Soon enough she knew that she would lose the images of them, knowing that it was better to let them go than cling to them and remain miserable. But she didn't want to forget them, she didn't want to lose Lucivar and Tsukasa and Ireland and the others, she lost them already so why did she have to forget them like that? Sighing she knew they'd haunt her dreams and the back of her mind for the rest of her life just as all the other people she had ever known did, but she would never truly remember them again.

She allowed herself to weep for her losses though she knew deep down in her heart that she would have to pull herself back soon and reshape her life again, just as she had done with every jump. At least she still had Pol, he was the one thing she had left to hold onto, her last hope and memory of a world she had hoped to live out her last years and finally be laid to rest for eternity. She was a bounty hunter again, the line between good and evil was as blurred as everything else, she took the job and the money, no questions asked.

Valandil crooned softly to his Bonded, wishing deep down that he could help her, even though he knew he could not. It was such an odd connection they shared and it made him feel strange that he should hold so much affection for a woman that thwarted every effort he made at creating havoc in this world, and yet it seemed that he could not help but care for Kythe. Humming in a comforting tone he moved his head close to her, his black eyes upon Pol. He was as cautious of the boy as he had been before the pair had left for DaeLuin. He could feel how weak Kythe was and he felt her need for love but the feeling that he had gathered from the pair before and the current state of his Bonded worried him that something they may later regret might soon take place.

The moment that he felt the twinge in Pol's heart match that of Kythe's he knew he had right to worry. Seconds later Pol had reached for Kythe and taken her into his arms. The large dragon scowled as his own heart jumped along with Kythe's, she wanted the touch, she needed it, but he knew she was in too weak a state to think on their actions.

Kythe allowed Pol to embrace her tightly, burying her face within his chest and releasing her pain from her heart into violent sobs as he held her. She needed the touch, she needed the warmth and comfort that he was offering to her, she'd longed for him to touch her long before today and she knew it. In the back of her mind something warned her to be cautious and to think before she acted, but the need in her heart cancelled out such warnings. With his words and the brush of his fingers against her cheek her breath caught in her throat. She looked up slowly only to find her nose almost touching his. Her eyes gazed sadly into his, her breath quick, matching her racing heart at their close proximity. She could feel his breath upon her lips and could smell his sweet earthy scent and it made her heart leap. Suddenly realising how close she was to kissing him she pushed him back gently and got to her feet, walking to Val swiftly and placing a hand upon the dragon's shoulder.  

"I would not have let you die Pol, I could not, I could not lose you like I have so many others."

She wrapped her arms around herself and shivered at the thought of losing him, everytime he was away from her for too long here she panicked, how would she have coped if she had not dived after him and he had died? She would never have forgiven herself, nor would Rhosyn and Ireland, she knew that deep down.

"Thank you Pol... you don't know how much it means to me to have you here with me..."

Anonymous

What could he do?  Pol was an honest man, and he had to admit to himself (and anyone else if they asked him), that the sobbing woman he held tenderly in his arms was beginning to gain a large foothold in his heart.  No, a foothold was not right, it was something more then that, she was conquering it.  She was strong, he knew that from their battles together as well as so many memories from a life that he could not help but feel was not wholly his.  She was beautiful, even a blind man would know he stood in the presence of a queen when he faced her.  Her intelligence was a marvel to behold and had saved their lives numerous times both in this life and the previous.  And yet despite all her warrior queen persona, deep inside her heart cried, bleed, loved, and long just as anyone's did, her tears that soaked his plain green shirt were a testament to that fact.  

Pol was an honest man, and he had to admit that while he was beginning to love this woman in his arm, that was not why he was holding her.  The Minadrias woman was in his arms because she was crying, and more then that she was his best friend and the woman who had saved his life.  He was here, comforting her, not trying to find a way into her pants.

As he held the woman who was crying softly into his chest, Pol had the strangest feeling that someone's eyes were boring into him, not quiet with anger, but certainly not with love.  Casting his own golden eyes about the wolf quickly realized the source.  Valandil, Chaos, Kythe's bonded the dragon that stood watching over them.  It was only natural that he should be protective of his bonded, could he sense the half wolf's feelings for Kythe?  He should not be worried though, what was the chance that Kythe reciprocated them?

Suddenly a pair of emeralds locked with his golden oculars, Pol's breath caught for a moment as they looked into each other's souls.  Less then an inch separated them at this moment, a twitch would bring them into contact, and the wolf realized he wanted it.  He wanted them to close that gap so he might feel the touch of her skin upon his own.  And for the briefest of moments, the former Ranger thought that the one known as Shadow was about to close that gap.  But just as suddenly as they found their eyes locked, they broke away and Kythe stood by her bonded.

But perhaps it would have been for the best Kythe.  You would have lost me, but you wouldn't have lost Lucivar, Tsukasa, my family or any of the others in DaeLuin.  No use arguing over it though.  What is done is done and cannot be undone.  I am glad you saved me, and I am glad I can be here for you Kythe.  It is the least I could do for you.

Pol took this moment to catch his breath as well as push the memory of their almost kiss from his mind.  It was something neither of them needed right now.  Kythe was broken from her lose, and in need of mending, while he was confused as to his own feelings and memories of his past life.  Slowly he rose to his booted feet, the boots were new, but had become quickly worn with hours of walking and hiking.  

Breathing out small frozen breaths he looked to Kythe and the dragon.  Thank you Kythe, for the gift.  It was wonderful.  Now what?  It has been some time since we've spent time together, I should hope we do not have to part ways for now.

Anonymous

Her breath had caught within her throat, her heart had stopped and for a moment she had thought she might not be able to start her heart beating again. Thankfully (with some stern feelings thrown at her from Valandil's direction) she had broken that moment, taken a deep breath and severed the connection before a mistake could be made. As she lay a hand tentatively upon her dragon's neck she kept her eyes away from Pol so that he could not see her chest heaving as she recaptured her lost breath and steadied her racing heart beneath her free hand. It had felt as though she was drowning within those golden orbs of his, but she knew now that she would have been happy to allow herself that luxury if she knew his feelings mirrored her own.

In the back of her mind she felt Valandil's scrutiny as he searched her thoughts and her heart but most of all she felt the dragon's disapproval at the feelings he knew he would find there. She opened her mind and heart to him, knowing better than to try and hide her feelings from him when they were so obviously plain. Pol knew her better than anyone, most people thought of her JUST as a warrior and a leader but he knew better than that, he knew she felt like others did. It had always been hard for her to connect with people, to trust and fall in love and yet she tried so hard.  Her heart longed for the same things that others did but it was not so easy for her to get such things.

Valandil snorted and kept his eyes upon Pol, he's seen how close the pair had come to crossing that line but thankfully Kythe had picked up on his distain and pulled back. If they had kissed there would be no going back for them, they were already too emotionally involved to truly go back to how they were and in a way Valandil knew that evernutally they would turn towards each other for the compassion and love that others could not offer them. But until that time he would watch her and try to keep that time as far away as was possible.

He felt her heart stop at Pol's words and he realised she was fighting back tears at even the thought of losing Pol. Had she always loved him like this and missed the chance at DaeLuin for fear of being happy with him? Suddenly Valandil realised that this theory was in fact correct. Had she not been with Nifftin when Pol had come into her life she would have turned to this half wolf for affection, the only reason she had not taken the chance was they had both become romantically involved with others when she realised her own feelings! Again the large dragon felt sorry for his Bonded mate, did she ever have an easy life?

"Never Pol... if I had lost you i would have lost part of my heart there and then regardless of the others. I could not have lost you without becoming a different woman through the grief. But I'm glad to have to have you with me now."

Bending to kiss Val on his soft scaled muzzle she turned to face Pol, walking over to him but keeping a nervous distance. She found that she could not meet his gaze without blushing and so decided to look just to the side of him without it being too obvious.

"It's a gift I'd give again if either of us had the strength to go back... but I doubt its wise to return again. But no, let us spend the day together, I should hate it if we left each other now after such a long parting."

She said softly, daring to meet his eyes as she offered him a small smile that, in a moment of lapsed concentration, was filled with her obvious emotion.

Anonymous

The gentle caress of the valley's cold wind traced strange circles across the half wolf's cheek as he stood a good distance from his beloved friend.  A great silence grew between them, speaking volumes about their mutual feels, yet neither seemed willing, or perhaps able, to hear it.  It was almost deafening, the silence, something was wrong.  Pol could not understand it.  Nothing really had changed, not with her, sure he realized that his heart had begun to beat for her, but the change was with her.  He was not acting differently, but she was acting very strange, aloof.  Her emerald eyes refused to connect with his own, and he noticed that no matter how much she seemed to want to approach him, she would always keep a respectful difference.

Pol could not comprehend it.  Why was she acting so strangely?  Perhaps it was what she had experienced when they'd went back.  It would be perfectly logical for her to feel strangely, having said good bye to her loved ones forever.  It was hard for him, and his mind did not recognize those loved ones as his loved ones.  Or perhaps, Valandil had said something to his bonded one about him.  By the look in the dragon's eyes he knew how Pol felt for Kythe, and by the angry snorts the dragon made, he was not happy about those feelings.  Tapping into telepathic powers he had not used in years, Pol reached into the dragons mind.

Chaos, I know you know how I feel for your Kythe.  But you've known me for centuries, I would never take advantage of her in such a state as she is.  I do love her, and while I wish one day she might feel the same for me, I would not approach her as such now.  We both know she is far too vulnerable, and any love that might bloom from her now, would not be real, and would only end in pain.  You have nothing to fear from me.  I would never do her any kind of harm.  You know this.

Pol watched his best friend walk slowly towards him, though safely keeping her distance.  Was she blushing?!  No, couldn't be.  That wouldn't make any sense.  Why wasn't she looking at him?  She was careful never to look exactly at him, always off to the side.  He might not have noticed, if he hadn't been so intent in taking her in.

Like I said, Kythe, I will always be with you.  Through thick and thin.  And I would never ask you to give me such a gift again, I do not enjoy seeing you this way, he said.  A smile spread across his face as she said they should spend the rest of the day together.  For a few moments he had honestly feared that she would suggest they part ways again.  With a brief nod, Pol took up his long bow and carefully strung it.  I'm sure you're hungry, Gods above know I am!  Would you like to hunt with me?  Or would you and Chaos prefer to wait here while I get us some game?  Deer or rabbit?  I don't have my spear, so boar is out of the question.  Although I might be able to find some geese, if you'd like.

Pol smiled, Perhaps if you have a less terrifying and huge form then your dragon one, we might hunt as beasts.  Your dragon form would scare off just about all the game.

Anonymous

The wind ran its soft fingers against her exposed skin, gently caressing her arms and cheeks lovingly, trying desperately to comfort their grieving daughter and make life easier for her. Kythe smiled softly as her family whispered sweetly in her ear, though there were no actual words she knew what the wind was saying to her. Again she was thankful for her birth, though she had been born from her parents she had always seen Fate and the Elements as her true family, not them. She sighed and placed a hand to her cheek allowing her warm fingers to run against the smooth cold skin where the wind had touched it previously, she would get over this soon.

She hated the way she was acting around Pol, but she dared not move too close lest her feelings be rejected by him... she could not cope with that, not after what she had already lost. She noticed the silence between them but was unsure of quite what to say to him without either making an idiot out of herself by spilling her feelings or accidently causing a rift by trying to hide her feelings altogether. In the back of her mind she felt Val laughing at them, oh how her young love was enjoying her torment.

Valandil turned his eyes towards Pol as the young half wolf connected with his mind and he could not help but snort with amusement. The boys words coupled with Kythe's thoughts and feelings he wondered just how much CHAOS he could cause and which way he should cause it. He could destroy any hope either had or bring them together, oh the difficulty with clashes within yourself were honestly terrible! Cutting his mind from Kythe momentarily he replied to Pol, his eyes fixed on the boys.

Aye that I do BOY and though I have known you for a very long time I, like my darling Bonded, do not trust so easily. How would I know and how would it be guaranteed that you would not hurt my Bonded's feelings like so many others have? It is odd to think that both are so blind to the others affections, such conflicts you both have within hearts and morals, it does entertain me so it truly does. Come now Pol, are you so blind to her heart and her eyes that you have not noticed the looks long before now? Have you not seen the longing in those dark gems of hers? My and I had thought you an intelligent one!

"I don't mind so much, it just takes a lot out of me that's all."

She said weakly, though she knew only too well that he knew differently. Grinning at his suggestion she nodded eagerly. It had been a while since she'd properly eaten and it would be fun to use her bow again after so long letting it gather dust.

"wait? Wait?! What DO you take me for Pol?! I can hunt as well as you even without being in my draconic form thank you very much. I'll get my bow and we can go hunt, leaving the large one to find his own food."

She said motioning to Valandil with a smile.

Anonymous

Pol carefully tested the tension on his recurved bow.  It had taken some good getting used to, to shoot this weapon with any skill.  Aside from the fact that it was a bow and shot arrows, it was vastly different from the weapon that he knew he'd used in his past on DaeLuin.  The draw weight was about the same, maybe a little heavier, enough to punch through plate armor at a good distance, overkill for hunting but he had nothing else.  When drawn to the ear it did not take as much effort as the long bow did, and was steadier, but it lacked the range of the long bow, if not the power.

For a moment, as his fingers played the bow string as if it were a part of a musical instrument, the half wolf stood there listening to Chaos' words in his mind, doing his best to look interested in the bow.  He knew the dragon would keep his secret, or perhaps he just hoped, so Kythe would not know they were speaking in their minds.  Having checked his bow more then he had any need to, the wolf moved to the heads and fletchings of his arrows.  He only carried a few with him, when he wasn't expecting battle, there was far too great a chance that they'd need refletching if he carried too many for too long, but thankfully his quiver was full of perfect arrows.

There are no guarantees in life, other then death, and you know that.  But you have known me for centuries, what in our experiences together would cause you to think that I would harm her!  My memories tell me I've always loved her, perhaps not like this, but that does not matter.  What are you saying?  Kythe feels for me the same way I feel for her?  Are you sure?  She is hurt, her husband is dead for all intensive purposes, perhaps she just needs someone.  It can feel like love, when it is not.  But this is a subject for later?  You have my word, Chaos, that so long as I live I will do nothing that I know or even suspect might hurt Kythe.  If that is not good enough...well I have nothing else to give you.

Pol laughed slightly as Kythe chastised him.  My friend, I think you have misunderstood me.  I don't remember being born or living only as a wolf, but my body sure does.  I was simply suggesting that I would prefer to hunt as an animal, but your form would scare off the game we seek, so human shapes shall do.  Besides, it will give us a chance to hone our silent communication.  I still don't trust telepathy too much.

Of course Pol did not mention, that this hunt would provide them with time alone together, he knew it all too well.  He knew in his heart he would not try anything, not yet when the lose of her beloved husband and brother were both so near, but by the Gods he wanted to.  If nothing else this would bond them, and perhaps easy the transition from friends to lovers.  If such a transition were to occur.

With a final pluck of his bow string, and a single ruffle of an arrow's fletching, Pol nodded and trotted off into the deep forest, scenting the air and checking for tracks as he did.  Deer, rabbit, and boar scents were all around them, but none younger then a couple weeks.  They'd moved on for one reason or another, so it might take some time to get to them, but there was no hurry.  I can't scent any nearby game, but I've found a game trail, if we follow it, we'll prolly catch up to some deer.  They have a couple weeks head start, but you know how deer herds move.  Slowly.  Ready, Kythe?

Anonymous

Valandil's ever watchful black eyes remained fixed upon Pol as he awaited the boys reply. Deep in his heart the dragon knew this boy was the best thing that could ever have happened to his Bonded, but Valandil was reluctant to give Kythe up so easily to this one or to any male for that matter. It was not that he was worried that they might take her attentions away from him it was that he worried (uncharacteristic though that was for the large black dragon) that she might have her heart broken yet again, and that was something he could not bare, not for his sake but for her own. Kythe had suffered enough pain and heartache in her life and now that he had found her and vice versa he wanted to make her life easier.

His attentions turned to Kythe as she strode over to him and sidled in between his front legs to get to her packs and her things. For a moment he watched as she flung things from between his legs to reach the box she had carefully stowed her beloved longbow in. How could he ever watch her in as much pain as she had been after hearing about Nifftin and Galin? That had almost broken her back in DaeLuin, although it had brought her to Lucivar. Dismissing that small blessing he knew that he could never allow her to be as heart broken as she had been then, no matter what Pol said the boys every move would forever be scrutinised by the dragon.

I have known Kythe for longer and yet she seems to keep on surprising me. I shall not allow her to be hurt again Pol, not like she was before. And yes that is exactly what I am saying. Are all males this blind or just your race? But I shall say no more on this, only Fate knows what is instore for you and his daughter and I shall speak no more upon it. But mark my words boy, i shall be watching you closely.

Turning his attention back to Kythe who (by the sudden exclamation betwen his legs had found her bow) stumbled back into the open and grinned as she held a rowan wood box tenderly to her chest. Kneeling she opened it and carefully took out the longbow made from the wood of an old Mynan silver oak which gave it it's odd white-silver colouration. Blue veins pulsed through it slightly and as she began to thread the delicate silver string to it sparks flicked across her fingers, causing the woman to smile. The entire bow was infused with power of the wind and lightning, it was a fierce weapon that she had never brought out in DaeLuin for reasons unknown even to her.

Testing the string to make sure it was tight enough she nodded, happy that it was secure. Reaching into the box she pulled out her quiver of arrows, all made from the same wood of her bow. Flicking it over her shoulder she looked over to Pol and gave him a soft smile, she looked down and tried to cover the sudden flush of colour in her cheeks behind her hair.

"Aye I can see what you mean. A three headed dragon does tend to scare the game away doesn't it?"

She said with a giggle as she slung her bow over her shoulder as well and patted Valandil on his nose gently. The dragon snorted and rolled his eyes, knowing only too well that he was being left behind this time. Kissing her dragon on the end of his soft scaled muzzle she ran off to join Pol, giving Val one last merry wave and a smile.

Watch yourself my Bonded... and I do not mean the animals in the forest.

Turning away he took to the air and went off to hunt alone, his heart filled with worry for his Bonded.

The scents of animals struck her hard as she entered the forest, she had long since forgotten what it was like to track this way, it had been a while since her last proper hunt. She nodded to Pol and followed after him, her eyes flickering across the forest as she moved ahead, placing each foot carefully so as not to make a sound. ]

It was nice just to walk through the forest with him like this, though she could not help but compare it to that fated morning when they'd been attacked and ended up here... how she wished that day had never come. For a while nothing stirred but the pair other than a few birds and smaller animals that would not have fed Alura let alone her and Pol. However a few metres further and she stopped, her ears had caught the sound of hoofbeats-steady and calm and the scent of deer was strong in her nostrils. Holding a hand up to stop Pol she pointed to the trees.

Look, over there.

Slipping her bow from her shoulder she pulled an arrow from her quiver and knocked it into the string. Smoothing the white feathers she pulled back on the string and aimed for a doe. She held the string for a moment, pulling it back further to get the best reach on it and hopefully make her arrow silent. But the moment was lost. An agonising pain ran through her entire right arm from her shoulder to her hand, the wound from their last bounty hunt causing the limb to protest at this current strain. Crying out she dropped the bow and collpased to the floor as red flashed behind her eyes from the pain.

Anonymous

There was no getting around it, the half wolf could feel the eyes of the dragon boring into him, as if he were looking into his very soul.  Or perhaps at his organs, most beasts did prefer those to the tough muscle that coated their prey.  Either way, the thought sent shivers down Pol's spine.  He was not normally so much of a fool to trace the threads of life further down then he could see, but with Kythe he couldn't help but wonder if her dragon would stare at him with loathing and mistrust in a hundred years from now, if he would do so when their children were being bounced upon their knees.

No, now that was too far.  Despite what Chaos said, he would wait to see if Kythe did harbor feelings for him with his own eyes.  Besides how much trust can one place in an ancient creature with such a name?  For all he knew the dragon thought it might be entertaining to watch the wolf woo a woman who wanted nothing to do with him, except perhaps fill her coin purse.  Believe none of what you hear, half of what you see, and all of what you smell.  Wolves were very fond of their sayings, and more often then not Pol too this one to heart.  At familiar tapping of an entity wanting to converse in his mind, the former Guardian allowed the dragon in, listening intently.

There was little time for a reply, nor could he think of a suitable one, so he shove the creature out and closed off his mind.   Let Chaos wonder what he was thinking, and if his possible ploy/possible truth had taken any affect.  The wolf could not help but smile as his partner found her bow among her other belonging.  Pol had once been a keen archer, better then most, and while he'd put it aside for the sword, he could still judge the power and craftsmanship that Kythe's bow embodied, reminding him of his cousin's weapon.

Pol shrugged his own quiver into a more comfortable position on his back as Kythe slung her over her shoulder.  'tis a wonderful looking weapon.  Seems my memories tell me my cousin had one not too dissimilar then that.  I should hope it is true, I'm half starved and I'd not like to come back with an empty belly.  The wolf's heart leapt slightly as she smiled, but quickly fell when she looked away.  Surely not a good si-  Gods?!  Her cheeks look as red as an apple?!  Not a sun burn, would have noticed before.  Could she be blushing?  Was Chaos speaking the truth?

When the dragon lifted off the two bounty hunters trotted off into the woods, becoming just hunters for this moment.  Pol did not stray far from her, though he didn't doubt he could out distance her in the thick undergrowth.  She was a far superior swordswoman then he, but he out matched her in woodsmanship, so he never let it bother him.  He glanced over to her as they moved at a stead pace, a smile crept across his lips as he watched her search the forest for just a brief moment, he couldn't risk too much more without seeming to be staring.

Look, over there.

He was not sure if she had said it, thought it, or used body language, but the former Ranger got the idea.  A large doe, old and far past her prime, stood grazing in the smallest of meadows.  Good, Pol would have felt horrible at killing a doe in her prime, such things were not done in wolf hunting.  Humans had it too easy with their weapons.  He nodded slowly as he silently notched an arrow and drew to his ear.  He had no doubt that Kythe could easily fell the beast, but there was always a chance he or she could miss, so a second chance was never a bad thing.  Pol had been about to loose when he heard a cry of pain, his shot went very wide, the arrow burying itself in a tree, the deer running for its life, and the wolf in human form dropping the ground to hold Kythe in his arms.

Kythe!  Are you okay?  Please, talk to me.  Kythe.  Pol quickly realized it had been her arm, a wound taken in their last conflict.  From what she had told him, it shouldn't have been like this.  Either she'd not let it rest or she'd lied about the severity, either way was not good for her.  He quickly dug into his belt pouch and found the herbs he wanted and mixed them with the contents of his water skin.  They were potent pain killers, so potent in fact using more then a leaf would addict a person while using more then two would kill them.  Kythe, Shadow, here, sit up and drink this, it'll help.  Pol cradled her in his arms as he might have done with a human babe, tipping the medicated water just slightly into her mouth.  He'd only used half a leaf, and with the water to dilute it, there would be no chance of addiction or death.  Kythe, please, tell me you're okay.  She had to be fine, she'd lived through worse wounds.  Unless there was something she didn't tell me about it, or the blade that made it.

Anonymous

For the first time in Valandil's life he found no amusement in the young half wolfs unease towards him. Normally Pol's feelings towards him would have made the dragon laugh, but not now for he knew the cause of the boys emotions and they tied to his. Valandil had looked at Pol with such an intensity that he had been looking through the boys heart and soul, that would make anyone uneasy in the presence of such a large creature. Valandil could see everything that even Pol probably didn't realise hid within himself. He could see the reactions Pol had when Kythe spoke or touched him even for that brief moment, he watched the boys dreams deep in his subconscious and knew that the boys heart was true... but that still didn't mean he wouldn't hurt and betray Kythe should another come along. He had nearly lost her once before to heart ache, he would not lose her again!

He did find amusement in Pol’s distrust of him however, but then again he could not blame the wolf when his name and very being meant and embodied Chaos. As a flush rose to his Bonded’s cheeks the dragon rolled his black eyes and stirred from his couch, readying himself for his hunt alone. Flicking out his wings he stretched them and yawned, he was more hungry than he’d first anticipated and was glad to be given this excuse to hunt.  

Kythe smiled and ran her fingers along the bows smooth handle and chuckled as the sparks flew across them. She’d always loved this bow, from the moment the Elementals in Myna had gifted it to her, the weapon had saved her a great many times before whether it be in battle or when close to dying and she’d needed to hunt. A gift from those that had brought life to her and watched over her ever since.  

“Don’t know what I’d do without my bow, the Elementals back home gave it to me years ago and I’ve never let it leave my side since.�

Patting it’s end as she slung it over her shoulder she watched Val with weary eyes, her dragon was up to something but she couldn’t figure out what it  was exactly. As they had walked through the forest she had known his eyes were upon her but it had not truly connected with her brain just how long Pol looked at her. She kept her eyes to the forest, searching for the herd of deer she was currently tracking and attempting desperately to stop herself being distracted by Pol’s presence.

For the years she had been hunting Kythe only ever picked out the old or injured, she had never been able to bring herself to kill a young buck or doe in the prime of life and so she was happy with the choice she had made. Silently she begged forgiveness from the doe she had picked for their lunch as she pulled her string back. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Pol draw his own bow back, though confident in her skill she was glad to have him there should she miss.

Not that she got the chance as the pain ripped through her. She was on the floor before she had chance to register quite what had happened. The pain moved from her arm to the rest of her body, setting her blood afire and making her head pound. She felt herself in Pol’s arms but the burning pain in her body distracted her from that as black and red spots flashed across her vision for the moment. Vaguely she could hear him speaking to her, was he telling her to drink something? Pushing herself up as best she could she opened her mouth and drank the cool liquid he offered to her. Swallowing it she spluttered slightly, but at least the spots had gone.

Sitting up she placed her left hand onto her right shoulder gently, kneading the tender skin on the limb with gentle fingers. The worry on Pol’s face was true enough but she wondered what spurred such panicked emotion in her companion. With a soft smile she raised a hand to his cheek gently and let it rest there.

“I’m alright Pol, please calm down I’ll be alright. Obviously that wound was deeper than we’d first thought.�

My Bonded! Kythe are you alright? My wing burns! Kythe please answer me!

The sound of frantic wing beats and a wave of panicked emotions accompanied the call as a crash heralded the arrival of Valandil. Whatever deer had remained would be long gone now that her large Bonded dragon had appeared to see what damage had been done. In his terror for his Bonded the dragon almost crashed into them as he lowered his head to them, waiting for an answer. The woman smiled and scratched Valandil’s nose with the hand that had rested upon Pol’s cheek.

“I am fine my love, will you hunt for Pol and I my fine dragon? WE are hungry and I’m not sure I can hunt myself with my arm so inflamed.�

The dragon nodded and crooned to her as he turned to look for food.

Watch over her for me Pol.

He said as he took to wing once more. Watching him go Kythe winced again as a twinge of pain ran through her arm.

“Take me back to the clearing will you Pol? My arms aches and I don’t think I can walk very well either, seems my entire body has gone numb.�

She said with a slight laugh, though she was in fact very embarrassed. This was not how she had intended to fall into Pol’s arms at all.

Anonymous

The a single cry went up from the dragonic woman as a single arrow flew wild missing the doe by at least ten yards.  The smart creature wasted no time waiting for a second arrow to take its life when the first did not, and took off into the forest.  Normally Pol would have shifted and gave chase, the idea of prey escaping was familiar if not pleasant.  But in this instant he couldn't have cared less.  The deer no longer existed in his mind, all the small hunger pains were another man's problem for the moment.  His golden eyes and heart saw only Kythe.  It was almost as if he could feel her pain in his own body, but in the end he knew it was simple the trick of a mind desperately in love.

Pol held the woman he loved in his arms as he might hold a child.  He poured some of the medicated water down Kythe's throat.  It would take only a couple moments for the liquid to dull her pain, of course the half wolf wasn't about to tell her it might dull her wits as well.  It didn't do that with everyone, but some found they were unable to think so well with it in their system.

“I’m alright Pol, please calm down I’ll be alright. Obviously that wound was deeper than we’d first thought.�

Obviously?!  Kythe, you should have allowed me to look at it.  Gods alone know what damage is done now.  It is times like these that I wish I knew more in the way of magic.  May I check your shoulder?  There is little I can do for it now, but I could tell you how bad it is.  Pol sighed softly as he helped her sit up more.  Much to his surprise he found her hand upon his cheek as he held her.  Perhaps it was coincidence, but a spark jumped between them at their touch.

Kythe you have to be careful, please promise me you'll be more careful from now on?

Pol watched as Chaos came back and he and Kythe spoke, but he barely noticed.  A part of him had become disappointed that he would not be on the hunt, but in the end his place was with Kythe.  Nodding silently, Pol lifted the woman in his arms and slowly made his way to the clearing they'd come from.  When they'd returned he gently set her down so she leaned up against him.

What's so funny, Kythe?  You nearly gave me a heart attack, ya know that?  I don't know what I'd do if something had happened to you.  So please, may I check out your shoulder?

Anonymous

The pain may have gone but still her arm throbbed in an echo of the agony she had experienced only moments ago. The water that Pol had offered her tasted odd and her head span slightly, even if her legs hadn’t gone numb from the pain she doubted she would have been able to keep balance with her head spinning as it was. She flinched as he scolded her, jarring her arm in the movement and hissing at it protested at the movements. Swearing inwardly she said nothing, let him berate her for the moment while she ignore the dull throb in her shoulder then she would answer him properly instead of through gritted teeth. When he’d finished she looked into his eyes and smiled softly, hoping to calm his fury.

“I thought it nothing Pol. Both of us have had worse wounds than this I had not thought it so deep. Now stop fretting I really am fine, I’ll just have to rest it a while longer than I’d first intended that’s all.�

With her hand against his cheek she felt the jolt and a warmth rushed through her arm, familiar yet strange all in the same moment. She kept the shock from her eyes as fire danced through her fingers at the touch, a sign of something she could never have hoped for, something she had tried to repress deep within her heart. She cursed her Minadrian heritage for that one little gift and sighed softly. A Minadrian knew when they found their life partner through touch, a small brush of a hand could cause such a burning within themselves that they almost died from the shock of it. It was the Fire of Truelove, two individuals destined to spend eternity together felt it when they touched and the more passionate their touch the more intensely the flames burned… but there were times when the Fire had been one sided and Minadrian’s had committed suicide from the grief of that knowledge.

“I promise I’ll be more careful Pol.�

As Valandil left to find them food Pol picked her up in his arms. Wrapping her good left arm around his neck she leant her head upon her shoulder and closed her eyes. This was not how she’d pictured ending up in Pol’s arms at all. She opened her eyes once more as they returned to their clearing by the lake once more. As he placed her down and began to scold her again she felt like a naughty child being reprimanded by a parent and she could not help but look down in shame and giggle slightly as she had when she’d only been about five. She caught the worry in his words and reached out to him, taking his hand within her own.

“Hush now I’m alright. I promised you I’d never leave you alone and I won’t ok? I’ll let you tend to my shoulder and we’ll eat as soon as Val returns with our meal alright? Come now everything’s fine.�

Her voice was as soothing as she could make it and she tried desperately to ignore the fire in her fingers. In the back of her mind she felt Valandil warning her of going down this path but she did not care… she loved Pol with all her heart.

Anonymous

Pol was not angry, at least not truly.  What might seem to be anger at his beloved friend (hopefully more then that one day) was actually concern so deep and so pure that it came out so strangely.  But he quickly realized that that line of questioning would do little good, especially when he noticed Ky flinch at his words.  He did not mean to scare her, it was just that he was so concerned, if anything happened to her....well it was not something he wanted to think about, not now not ever.  But as she flinched he could almost feel the pain run through her body, the drug he have her would soon make it so she did not have to suffer through the pain.  He listened as she spoke and felt his heart jump slightly, she truly did think him angry at her.

Kythe, I'm sorry for scolding you, I am.  But...I just can't but worry about you.  If the wound was deeper then you expected then there is a chance...I'll take a look at it for you, Kythe.  I just don't like the idea of you suffering, even just a bit.

As her hand reached up against his cheek, and the spark jumped between them, they both let out a shocked breath.  Her hand was so warm against his cheek, and he never wanted to let it leave.  There was something different, her hand didn't just have good circulation, it was far too warm, and yet at the same time it wasn't normal body heat.  He wanted to ask her, but something kept his voice in his throat.  As he lifted her up, he felt his whole body shiver when she placed her head upon his shoulder.  In all his dreams where she did that, they were in a soft bed, not walking through the forest, while he hoped she was okay.

As he placed her down upon the soft grass and listened to her words, he felt a smile cross over his lips.  He loved her...there was no denying it, he loved her with all his heart.  And if Chaos was right, if that spark meant anything, if his instincts were correct, then she had some feelings for him too.  If the worst did not happen, then he knew in his heart they'd be together.

But in his heart, he feared for the worst.  If the wound was not bad like she said, then something else was causing the pain.  The worst possible case would be infection.  If her wound had become infected while it was healing, and she'd done nothing to stop it, that could be causing the pain, but now it might be to late to do anything.

Good, never leave me, and I shall never leave you, Kythe..I- He'd been about to say it, why shouldn't he?  But something stopped him, and he quickly changed the subject. Let me take a look at your shoulder.  He propped her up and pulled the side of her shirt down just enough to expose her shoulder a bit more.  It was red and inflamed a bit, but not swollen as if it were infected.

Oh thank the Gods.  It doesn't look like it got infected.  I think you tore some muscle or something.  You're gonna have to keep from using that arm for a few weeks. Pol sighed in relief, knowing that she was most likely not in trouble.  He removed his cloak and tore it into two roughly equal slices.  Before he even began to speak, his cheeks flushed bright red with embarrassment.  Um...uh...Kythe?  You're going to have to remove your shirt, so I can bind your arm.  It'll help the muscles heal faster.  I'll use half my cloak to bind it, the other half you can, well, use to cover  yourself up.

He was a pup, nothing but a silly little pup, who was with a pretty she and could not think straight.  She surely thought him a foolish child.  But somehow he gained back his nerve.  Kythe...you scared me.  If your wound had become infected without our knowing...I've seen men die from scratches that weren't treated right.  If you....if anything ever happened to you...Kythe if you died, I don't know what I'd do...because...because I love you Kythe.