Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A traveller amongst them (Open)

Started by Anonymous, March 23, 2007, 07:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Inania stood on the edge of the village, taking in her surroundings, wondering if her mother's path had led her this way. As she adjusted the brim of her hat to block out the sunlight and to cast shadows on her face, she looked around for a safe haven.

She cast a quick glance to the flitten at her feet, playfully batting at her pack she had dropped. She rolled her eyes in silence, skeptical of why this adorable creature would want to follow her all the way from Serendipity. And then she kneeled down, grinning her trademark half-smile, scratching behind the flitten's ears.

"You are absolutely too cute for your own good..."

A cawing noise caught her attention, and she stood at attention again. She put a tiny hand to the brim of her outlandish hat, squinting into the horizon.

Looking at the creature again, she said, "I need to ask around about my mother and find someplace to stay."

Gathering her pack and throwing it over her shoulder, she told the kitty, "Let's get started, shall we?" It meowed up at her, eyes wide and shining.

Up ahead and to the left, she spotted someone that looked like a fellow healer. She figured a healer would be the best place to start. She tipped the brim back up, so as not to seem unfriendly, and walked slowly towards the healer.

"Excuse me," she called ahead, seemingly catching their attention. "Excuse me, I'm looking for someone - might you have a moment to spare?"

Anonymous

Sheila muttered a curse under her breath. Of course Feta would learn to master his ability to spit fire on the very day Sheila wore her newest pair of leather sandals.  Glaring at the tiny dragon, she resisted the urge to smack it on the forehead. Feta stared up pitifully at her, eyes wide and shiny, and Sheila shifted her focus back on the burnt sandals.

“Oh, you are in luck!� Sheila smiled widely, clapping her hands together in feigned excitement, “I just happen to be conductin’ a census of every man, woman and child that pass through our oh-so tiny town of Cerenis.� Rolling her eyes dramatically, Sheila leaned back down, willing the singed sandal to repair itself.

No sooner had she finished her sentence did Sheila lose her balance, tumbling straight out of her broken sandals and scraping her knees on the cobblestones. Sheila rolled over and then stretched her feet and hands out wide, as if doing a horizontal jumping jack. She squinted into the sun and sighed loudly, trying to ignore the unease that was welling up in the pits of her stomach.  

Of course. Of frackin’ course. Bending at the waist, Sheila glared at the blue haired woman. “I apologize, how may I help you today?� She stated methodically, through gritted teeth.

There was a time when Sheila would have resisted those strange and sudden urges, the awkward compulsions to help someone in need. Yet, she soon noticed the high correlation between ignoring those compulsions and the sudden high incidences of her getting sick, or spraining her ankle, or losing her sack of cash (not that she ever had a sack of cash, but she was certain that it would have been one of the first things she’d lose if she did). No, Sheila had learned that whenever one of those compulsions stirred in her belly, she’d better listen to it, or else. She'd listen all right, but she wouldn't enjoy it.

Sheila crossed her arms, waiting impatiently for a reply.

Beside them, Feta was busy sniffing in the general direction of a flitten, this being the first time the tiny dragon had ever seen such a creature. His translucent wings were curled tightly around his frame, his tail low to the ground, defensive.

Anonymous

The reply hadn't been at all what she had expected. Cocking an eyebrow at the sarcasm, she said, "Actually, the person I'm looking for would be a local, not a passerby."

She removed the wide-brimmed hat to reveal herself, knowing full well how much she looked like her mother. "She's a..." Inania leaned in - close enough to be heard, not too close for comfort - to whisper, "...a, uh, dancer? Last I heard, she went by the surname Laorien, but that was ages ago. I've gotten word that she lives near here. Or lived, I don't know."

She winced at the possibility of her mother being dead. It was hard enough that the woman had run off when she was little, enough that her father was killed; she didn't want to think about it. Finding her mom was all she had right now. That and her cute little...

"Keerin? Stop swatting at it!" Inania quickly ducked down, grabbing at the flitten. She didn't think it could do much damage to the tiny dragon, but she didn't want her getting hurt either. There was a reason dragons were tougher than kitties...

She straightened herself up, still clutching the flitten.
"Sorry abou that. Where were we?"

Anonymous

((sorry, my internet has been out, just got it back up, will post a reply soon!))