horizon behind me, no more pain
windswept stars blink and smile
another song, another mile

you read the line every time
ask me about crime in my mind
ask me why another read song
funny, but i bet you never left home

</center>

Itaaski nibbled at a hunk of cheese somewhat awkwardly, his large, hollow, venom-bearing fangs folded back against the roof of his mouth carefully to avoid accidentally puncturing a hole in his own hand. Not having molars, the snake anthro was forced to enjoy the rare treat of human food in small bits, sharp needle like fangs used to carefully gnaw off bits of the rich cheese and long tongue pulling them into his mouth. It was good; he rarely got to eat simply for the pleasure of eating, because while whole rabbits are wonderful for filling the belly for a week or two, they don’t taste exceptionally good, and Itaaski had long since learned that he was far better off dealing with meager food lacking much taste and no contact than he would be if he went in to town more often than he did, simply to buy those little things which brought him pleasure.

He so loved the sharp tang of cheddar cheese, even if it was difficult to eat; this was one of the few times when he’d actually bothered to go into a city. He needed new clothing, new weapons, new equipment…and he had a very large pile of very nice furs he needed to sell. Furs always fetched higher prices in the larger cities, and he anticipated an even nicer payoff since these were pelts from animals in the far south, the ones from the exotic places, pelts these northerners rarely saw. Itaaski was further north than he preferred to be, especially at the onset of winterâ€"a dangerous time of the year for a reptile in a place where, so he’d heard, snows were common and deep.

If there was one thing Itaaski would readily and without shame admit he feared, it was winter, and cold. In all his life he had never seen a true winterâ€"the ones he heard about which were so common hereâ€"and for that he was grateful. Even now when the others around him seemed to be comfortable with the temperature, he was feeling rather sluggish and cold, chilled by the wind whichâ€"to himâ€"had an unpleasant bite to it. In an attempt to stave off the cold he was wearing three shirts and two pants, but without the ability to produce heat himself they did little; his long, powerful tail, scaled and beautiful with its glittering array of colors and patterns, was the largest indicator that he wasn’t normal, at least until someone got a look at his hairless head and fine, bright scales, and large, bright blue eyes with slit pupils.

People were giving him a wide berth as he meandered through the streets, looking through the vendors with coin in his pocket, not yet interested in buying but wanting to see what was available. He was feeling rather lonely, and regretted the fear people exhibited; he liked people, and liked to interact with them. How could he convey that to them, that he wasn’t going to hurt anyone, when they all flinched if he so much as smiled?

<center> fourteen seconds until sunrise
tired but wiser for the time
lightning thirty miles away
three thousand more in two days

and on a good day
i know it ain't everyday
we can part the sea.
</center>

Anonymous

Jovan squinted behind his dark sunglasses, sighing. It was quite bright out today and he wasn't used to it yet, having just woken up. He yawned, one hand lifting up to cover the yawn. It was earlier then he normally liked, but he was starting to run low on funds. So that meant braving the crowds while still slightly hungover.

His long white ears were pulled back over the bright purple bandanna. He had found they drew a bit much attention here. He scanned the area, looking for a good spot to set up when he noticed something, or rather someone, rather interesting.

The painter perked up a little, nose twitching slightly with excitement. He moved through the crowd to get a closer look. He paused, his neck hairs standing up as he got a better look.

It was a snake. Jovan didn't move for a moment, instinct screaming at him to flee, curiosity wanting a better look. In the end, Jovan had never really listened to his better judgment, so why start now?

He moved closer to the strange man again, reaching out to tap him on the shoulder, though he couldn't quite control the trembling in the limb, "Excuse me? Sir? I am sure you get asked this all the time, but would you mind terribly if I could draw you?"

Anonymous

<center> no time left now for shame

</center>

Itaaski paused as he walked, tongue suddenly flickering in and out of his mouth rapidly, scenting something…interesting. It smelled very, very like foodâ€"like a tender rabbit ready to be eaten, but at the same time it smelled too...human. It was not like the smell of a rabbit who has lived among humans, or the smell of a rabbit in an area where many humans also are, but an odd mesh of scents. It was intriguing.

He looked around, but his eyes had never been as well suited to the daytime as a human’s, and he wasn’t able to visually locate the source of the scent. He supposed he would simply have to live with his curiosity and move on with life, since he couldn’t very well go hunting after whatever was producing the scent, could he?

It was as he was turning to go that a tap on his shoulder came, and he turned around, surprised to find that the source of the scent had in fact found him! The source of the scentâ€"it was really strong up close, almost blocking out much of the other (more unpleasant) smells of the streetâ€"was actually a rather small, svelte albino rabbit anthro, with surprisingly bright clothing. Itaaski looked the shorter man up and down with interest; the other wasn’t all that much more slender than Itaaski, but shorter. He was rather cute, actually, and though Itaaski’s instincts at first called for him to strike and inject the prey with his lethal venom, reason told him that this was a person, not food (no matter how much he smelled and acted like prey) and anyways was too large for Itaaski to even begin to be able to eat.

So after staring for a moment, the snake offered a polite smile, rather surprised by the request, “Draw me? No, I have never been asssked that before…why would you want to draw me?�

and on a good day
i know it ain't everyday
we can part the sea.
</center>

Anonymous

When the slender snake-man had turned, Jovan felt a shiver of fear go down his spine. But he did his best to hide it, smiling broadly at the man, "Really? I find that hard to believe!"

He dropped his hand, the snake's attention on him lessening his nerve a bit, "You are so very unusual looking. And colorful. It just begs to be painted."

And on closer inspection, rather handsome. Which was always a plus in Jovan's book. Beautiful people were always more fun to paint. He flashed what he hoped was a winning smile at the other male, "Pretty please?"

Anonymous

</center>

The long tongue, forked at the tip and slender and pink, slid out of his mouth rapidly, tasting the air; his eyes were not nearly so effective as his sense of smell and his heat pits. He smelled the fear coming from the rabbit anthro more than he could see it; an acrid, unpleasant stench. He returned the smile politely, although what with his fangs and the row of needle-sharp pearly whites, it might seem rather frightening. Still, despite how frightening it may look, it was a genuine, warm smile. “Yesss; unusssual, I am. Mossst fear me, not wisssh to paint me.� He wasn’t sure why this rather frightened little rabbit-man wanted to paint him, but the reptile wasn’t bothered by it; he was rather flattered, even if the only reason the bunny wanted to paint him was because of his oddity.

It was better than having the rabbit run in terror. And Itaaski had been complaining about being lonely, hadn’t he?

“Sssure. I don’t mind…where sshall we go, to do thisss? Oh. My name isss Itaassski. What isss your name?� His tail swished slowly over the cobblestone behind him, scales glinting in the morning sunlight, his scales making a soft rasping sound over the stone.

and on a good day
i know it ain't everyday
we can part the sea.
</center>

Anonymous

Jovan flinched a little when he saw those rows of sharp teeth. The snake anthro seemed friendly enough, but it was still a little scary. He tried to cover the flinch with a smile, "Well, I like to paint that which is unusual. And pretty."

He gave a small wink at that, before scanning the area, "Well, it's a little crowded here. But I'm sure we can find somewhere." He shaded his eyes with his hand, wriggling his nose a little. He wouldn't mind getting out of the sun. But he liked how the light played off the snakes scales.

Anonymous

</center>

Itaaski’s smile faded at the sight of the flinch the rabbit anthro gave; he hated when people flinched away from him like that, but covered his fangs for his companion’s comfort. He tilted his head, “Then I will be happy to possse for you. But I have never been called ‘pretty’ before.� He chuckled a little, the sound a bit hissy but somewhat cute, despite the strangeness.

He followed the gaze of the rabbit, looking around at the crowded streets; there were truly a lot of people around. “Yesss, there are many people here. Do you have any placcce in particular you would like to go..? I am not from thisss area, and ssso do not know of any good placccesss.�

and on a good day
i know it ain't everyday
we can part the sea.
</center>

Anonymous

The rabbit didn't really notice when the snakes smile faded, as he was still looking around. He gave a small huffing noise, his hands on his hips, "Well, that is just no good. I'm not really from around here either. I don't really know where we should go."

He suddenly paused, glancing over at the other male, "No one has called you pretty before? How sad. Everyone should be told how pretty they are as often as possible." He grinned at then, trying to relax. Itaaski seemed nice.

Then he blinked again and a faint blush stained his pale skin, "Oh dear. I got all wrapped up in wanting to paint. I never introduced myself."

He forced himself to hold his hand out, trying his best to not listen to his instincts, "My name is Jovan."

Anonymous

</center>

Itaaski considered this, “May we go sssomeplaccce warm? I am cold.� He shifted his weight, tail slowly moving back and forth, restless and trying to keep himself warm somewhat through the friction of his muscles. Itaaski gave the rabbit a startled, bemused look; he’d never heard that before. “They ssshould? Why?� Nobody he’d met before told men they were pretty…

There was a bit more heat in the rabbit’s face than before, Itaaski noticed, watching the blush both normally and with his heat vision, interested. “Your faccce is warm. Why?� He paused, “It isss fine. I am happy to meet you, Jzofan.� He couldn’t pronounce the ‘j’ and ‘v’ properly, lacking a normal tongue and teeth, but smiled politely and shook Jovan’s hand, careful to hold firmly but nowhere near painfully, and let go at the appropriate time.

“Where ssshall we go?�

and on a good day
i know it ain't everyday
we can part the sea.
</center>

Anonymous

Jovan's nose wrinkled, twitching slightly as he thought, "Well, I think we shall just have to have an adventure. Let's at least get out of this crowd, shall we."

The rabbit gave a wide smile at Itaaski's pronunciation of his name. It was interesting to say the least. And Jovan liked things interesting. He started to weave through the crowd, glancing back to make sure the snake was going to follow. They were never going to find some place less crowded in that mess.

Anonymous

</center>

The wrinkled, twitching nose was rather cute, Itaaski thought, watching it and flicking his tongue absentmindedly while waiting for Jovan to make his mind up. Rather odd, but then Itaaski hardly had room to talk about others being odd, now did he? He smiled, “An adventure? Alright, Jzofan. Lead the way!�

He followed after the rabbit anthro dutifully, being careful to make sure nobody stepped on his tail. That always hurt. He had no trouble navigating the crowds, with the way people got a glimpse of his scales and stepped aside.

and on a good day
i know it ain't everyday
we can part the sea.
</center>

Anonymous

It didn't take Jovan long teto get out of the main crowd. While he didn't have Itaaski's knack for parting crowds, he was very good at wriggling through them.

Once they had left the crowded streets behind, the rabbit paused, grinning, "Now we can finally take a breath, eh?" He shadded his eyes again, looking up the street, "What say we follow this one? And maybe we can find you a nice spot of sun. Or even better, some nice colors that match those scales of yours."