Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What dreams may come... (private)

Started by Lion, January 30, 2008, 07:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"Quickly! My husband's on his way I just know it!" Lady Marchalt whispered harshly to the figure struggling to put on up his trousers.  The room was stark in shadow and to light a lamp was to put the lady under suspicion.  Everyone who knew her knew she didn't have a lamp on after ten o'clock.  "Hurry!  I think I can hear his carriage out on the street.  Here's your shirt."  She tossed a white silken shirt to her male company.  She watched him stuff his feet into his boots and toss the shirt over his shoulders.  As his shadowy silhouette made for the window, she called out, "Thank you for your company.  We'll see each other again, I'm sure."

The shadow stopped as he acknowledged her words before shuffling out the two story window, closing it on his way out, and down the carved granite balcony.  With a sigh, Lady Marchalt slumped down on the bed, exhausted, "What a man..."  She then drifted off into the cool waters of dreams.

~
Ralen Lycurgus dashed across the moist, dew covered lawn undetected by the keen senses of the guard dogs and their handlers.  As silent as the night, his sleek body made it to the back gate and traversed their cold, iron barbed tips in a swift leap.  Taking the front gate was too risky and if the lady was right, that her husband had just returned from his journey, Ralen would find himself in a very uncomfortable situation.  All he wanted to do was get home without finding his neck in a harness.

Time slowed for the youth that spent the time with the wife of a very important man.  Each feature placed on his smooth skin with intricate precision, his two hazel-green eyes a perfect distance from each other with an unbroken straight nose aligning the perfect proportions of his lips and high cheekbones.  His white-blond hair was a little windblown from his mad dash across the lawn and away from the Marchalt estate, but was coiffed back into place when he stopped in an empty alley way to button up his shirt and tuck the ends away in his pants.  From his look and body structure, one could hardly guess he was two hundred and twenty-three years of age and still going.  They would be too enthralled with his beauty to guess his age.

Despite his successful endeavor, Ralen was not satisfied with himself.  Sure, Lady Marchalt was a remarkable woman, beautiful and vivacious, traits he appreciated in a woman.  It had only been a been three years since his ability to see color was beginning to fade and his once poet's heart starting to turn to stone.  Frankly, when these things started happening to him, he was scared out of his wits and consulted anyone who would help him, regardless of their stature.  Luckily a close friend of his knew the answer and told him of his need for a lifemate.  In a sense, Ralen had been relieved to find that he wasn't indeed losing his mind like his poor mother had, but dismayed to discover he would lose his most valued gifts unless he found the one he was destined for.

He had set off that day and began his search, pinning and burning in his sleep and in his heart for that faceless lady he saw in his dreams but virtually incorporeal.  But his expedition proved fruitless countless times, sinking his hopes further and further into the pits of despair.  Ralen was uncertain how he had managed to charm the wits off a woman wherein they invited him into their beds.  But his desire was too much for him to contain and maybe, just maybe, there was a fragment of hope to be found in these ladies for he did not know their origins nor their blood.  Perhaps, one of them would happen to be a Carpathian.

Neat and trimmed, Ralen stood underneath the kindling street lamp, grinning at this time to test.  Of course it took a decade for the effects of the fading to decay completely, but the symptoms alarmed him desperately for he knew he was still young and naive.  He held onto the solid pole like a newly made blind man, holding his eyes tightly shut.  Under the illusion of affection, he figured that maybe his sight would retain their color.  This time, this time, his mind chanted in chorus, It just has to work this time.

Slowly, he opened his eyes and looked at the dirty brown ground.  Color!    A grin spread to his lips like lightning.  Suddenly though, the brown was fading into black and blue that streaked the star-studded sky faded too.  His smile faded.  Marchalt was not a Carpathian, this test confirmed it, and therefore was not his lifemate.  His mind tried to force its way to the bright side, but was stopped by the vines of despair that bounded his spirit.  Disappointed, he stuffed his hands into the pockets of his breeches that clung to his legs like a second skin.  He needed a drink tonight and a good kill.  Perhaps he could drown out his sorrows.

His mind pounded with that infernal question that repeated itself incessantly for three years straight: Would he ever find his lifemate?

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

From rooftop to rooftop she bounded, wondering where in the wide, beautiful world her brother had gone. Maybe to find a kill, something she still found barbaric.

She had long since watched the colors fade from her eyesight months ago when her lifemate went missing. He said he would come after her if anything went wrong--and she called out...and he wasn't there.

Perhaps...he had found his old lifemate and left her behind. Just like she'd been afraid he'd do.

She shook the thoughts. Because of the way she'd been thinking lately, she'd been unable to get herself into the mood to steal anything. If anything, she'd been sloppy lately--a child had captured an image of her running through a town with his mother's necklace in his mind and, as luck would have it, he drew a perfect picture of her profile.

Wonderful.

She needed to get back up to speed. Pack up a few coins and head out on her way. Satu eyed the ground atop of a rooftop's steeple, peering down into the grays and blacks. Wait. Someone's moving. She grabbed hold of the steeple slid down carefully, as if that would help her eyesight any. It was a man.

She smirked, something she'd picked up from the one who betrayed her. "He'll be a perfect practice target. I won't take it, just pick it up and give it back, telling him he should be more careful. That's what I'll do."

In three rooftop hops. she had hopped her way over to him and perched onto the street lamp, reached out and--

--froze. Something's different about him. Slowly, she stretched her body out so she could pick a pocket or two without having to let go of the lamp. He walked just out of her reach, making her hiss. "Would you get back here?" She blinked at her newfound temper. Oh, no.

Lion

Ralen felt the need for a strong ale overcome him and he emerged from the meaningless support of the lamppost, oblivious to the feminine shadow that was too close for comfort.  It was only when she reached out at him did he feel brush of air from the hand movement did he stop.  Thinking it was nothing he continued to pursue another step when the sound of hissing touched his sensitive ears.  What the hell?  A snake?  Ralen furrowed his brows when a voice stopped him in his tracks.  

Carefully pivoting on his heel, his eyes fell upon a young woman that remained hidden on the light.   At first he had suspected that she was speaking to someone else.  But as he tossed his head too and fro realizing there was nobody on the street but them, he knew she was talking to him.  And the sound of her voice held a hint of suppressed frustration.

With the courtesy of the gentleman in him, he asked in a gentle voice, "You're speaking to me?  Pray tell, what would a mere gentleman like me do for your service?"  By the gods of the heavens and the overlords of the hells, she was stunning.  His eyes were wide as he stared at her like a crazy person.  There was an essence about her that old him that she wasn't an ordinary person, least of all someone like Lady Marchalt.  He tried to regain the wits about him, modifying his composure before adding to his previous inquiry, "Who are you and what do you want?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

"Pray tell?" Satu cracked a smile. I haven't heard that in a while. She shook the smile off her face and held out her hand. "I want your cash and I want it now. My name is not for me to tell--but I can give you my alias. It's the Specter of Silence. Pleased to meet you, my lean little Goose." Goose was a term she used in order to mock her victims.

Her stern face then turned into a pout as she realized he wasn't going to give her the coins that easily. Were the people fearing her even less nowadays? She fluttered her lashes at him. "No? Well, then." She pulled out one kama, its staff painted half-black and half-gold--the golden half facing Satu's possible opponent--and twirled it. "In that case, I'll make a bargain with you. A few coins for your life. If not, I get your life and your coins. How about that?"

Her autumnal, reddish-brown hair was illuminated from underneath by the soft lamp she sat on, her blue eyes lit up like two bright suns, intensifying her concentration on the young man. Satu shifted her weight on the lamp, making sure he couldn't see up her shorts or down her jacket. She pulled the hand holding the kama back, her black trumpet sleeve with golden hems fluttering with the movement. The blade of the kama made a high-pitched whush noise, with the sound of shing following it seconds later.

She cocked her head to the side as she looked him up and down. "Just get back from...a rendezvous, shall I say? Only the most lowly gentleman--no--the most lowly cur would be caught outside looking like that. You may want to straighten yourself out a little more, Mr. Affair."

Wow, she was being extremely cruel tonight.

Lion

It was difficult, he had to admit, to hold back the laugh that came up as he listened to her words.  Suddenly a roaring chuckle emitted from his mouth that was nigh uncontrollable.  This was better than a drink!  There was a rush of energy back into his once despair-filled soul that he slapped his thighs in wonderful amusement.  As his tumultuous laugh began to die down to a faint snicker, the mirth in his eyes left them twinkling in the lamplight.  "Aye.  And you may want to work how you choose to rob people, Miss Specter.  You're not going to get very far with that ridiculous twaddle," he retorted, brushing a hand through his unruly white blond hair, and crossing his arms over his chest.

Despite the fact that she was right in her evaluation, he was not embarrassed.  It was an amusing surprise to find that she commented on it.  The essence of fear did not even reach him as he gazed speculatively at the shimming edge of the kama.  Ralen had not seen a weapon like that in years and its make was a cause for curiosity, but he didn't care to question it at this moment.

The prospect of death, though unpleasant in itself, was not an issue with Ralen, especially now.  His problems had just begun and now this twit of a young girl was threatening him if he didn't give up his gold.  He had lots of it, legally stored away in several places across the continent, he could afford to give some away.  If he had any on him now that is.  Money was immaterial to him as was death.  He had more important things to worry about than death and, should the banshee call for him to be taken away in the reaper's cold grasp, well, he simply saw it as an end to all these lifemate issues.  Besides, he was a lover not a fighter.

And as a lover, he had a natural attraction to anything that bore a unique beauty.  As did this one.  He was not so much intimidated by her demands as he was absorbed by her striking loveliness.  "As for your demands, before you start gutting anyone, you should probably know that I haven't any money on me at all.  It would be rather disappointing if you tried to rob someone who had no prize to offer, wouldn't it?"  Ralen cocked an eyebrow to add to his rhetoric.  She did seem rather desperate for cash enough to put on a visage of cunning; her eyes were too filled with another emotion to seem truly fierce at heart.

"You know what, why don't you join me for a drink at Todd's Wheeler Inn?  You look like you could use one.  The owner owes me a favor or two anyways so the drinks would be on him," he invited whole-heartedly.  His gaze spoke of sincerity while he stared intently into hers.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Her eyes flashed angrily at his laughter and pulled the other kama out, hopping up onto the lamp's highest point, balanced like a dancer with the poise of an assassin. She waited for him to explain himself before snapping at him, cheeks blazing from embarrassment. "Do you know who I am? Sir, I find it difficult to believe that you're from around here! I'm one of the top feared and revered thieves in this place--there's a heavy price on my head and--" She eyed him again. Wait. Like she thought earlier, he wasn't just any victim. She looked him up and down, wondering if he were a noble of some sort. Normally, she ran into the kind that didn't care about what happened to their money...nor their lives. They'd lived so much that it didn't matter anymore to them.

Maybe that's what he is. Or maybe he's just that stupid.

Satu blinked at his oblivious invitation and scoffed. "I don't drink, thank you. And if you knew any better, you'd know that a well-known thief can't just stroll into a tavern without a care in the world." Hurt by his lack of enthusiasm in being robbed, she sighed and turned her head to the side, looking at a building from the corner of her eye. "Why did I think I could practice on you?" She stood up and glared down at the man. "Thank you for the offer, Goose, but you look like the perfect heartbreaker...and I've already had one heartbreak. That was enough for me."

She crouched down and sprang to the nearest rooftop, walking quietly on, twirling each kama in her hands. She looked over her shoulder at the white-blonde haired man and thought about how much he looked like Lomion. She stopped dead in her tracks a moment--a Carpathian? She eyed him a little while longer before turning to face the stars and kept walking. Nah, he drinks other liquids; older Carpathians can only drink blood after a while, right?

She shook her head. "He said 'ridiculous twaddle.' Honestly! What sort of pinheaded...lunatic...!" She mumbled on, seething with embarrassment and frustration.
((The end. xD Just kidding. It's really late, so if there are some errors in here, feel free to let me know. And it's not over, Satu just likes to brood every once in a while.))

Lion

[Nope, no mistakes that I can see.  Actually I thought it was really funny to read.  Never thought she'd get pissy at a nice guy like him. lol]

His face did not betray him, not that it ever did.  He was fairly young in his centuries, especially when he was compared to the ages that his mother had met his father.  Septim was more than six hundred in his years when his mother was at least half a century his senior.  It seemed to make sense that their love was true to the core for they both had waited nearly one thousand years to find each other.  And that same need and want for love was ingrained in Ralen, their only surviving child.  He was the only living descendant to claim his father's barony after his demise; all of his brothers and sisters were either killed by wild creatures or hunters justifying them as demonic offspring, completely undeserving of life's gifts.

He was young enough to still have human-like hungers and needs that weren't animalistic in nature, such as eating and drinking.  And his desire for blood was not as recalcitrant as it might be in a vampire, his father was an excellent tutor in teaching his son control.  And that once desire for drink was dissipated by the mirth she had caused his spirit.  Despite the amount of hostility in it, their conversation had been invigorating for him and suddenly the need for ale had vanished as by taken by the wind.

A single word caught his interest the most.  "Heartbreak?" he whispered in her wake as he watched her lithe form bound off the lamp and into the night.  She was a complete stranger and yet something about her intrigued him, making him want to follow her.  Suddenly in his tornado mind, an idea struck him.  Could she be... another Carpathian?  Her words of one heartbreak being enough had hinted at it but he could not be sure right now.  Who in hell's name was this woman?

Ralen decided to find out as he charged the energy into his muscles and leaped off the ground as if one with the wind.  His boot tip just barely made contact with the peak of the lamp when he vaulted upward again to the building top he had seen her scale with fairly no effort at all.  "Wait," he called out.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

((Haha! Yeah, Satu can be touchy when she's had a bad day. xD))

In the middle of her rant, she just happened to catch a slight change in the air--something besides her was breaking it in half, slicing through it somehow. She felt it from behind her. Twirling both kamas fiercely, she spun on the balls of her right foot, landing in a dancer's delicately disciplined position, one foot in front of the other, her back straight but relaxed. She lowered her head when she noticed it was this...nuisance. "Wait for what, another insult?" She snapped.

A light breeze swept by them, fluttering her short hair about. She had been wanting to grow it out for a while now, however it always slowed her down during a raid, despite the fact that longer hair would disguise her a little better. She noticed his white blonde hair and watched it a moment before snapping her eyes on the man, wondering just what in the gods' names did he want.

Remembering that he had offered to buy her a drink at the tavern, she  rolled her eyes. "I told you that I don't drink, didn't I? If that's what you're up here for, then get down and leave me be. You'll blow my cover anyhow." Still holding a kama, she put her left hand on her waist, only to lift it back up again, hissing through her teeth.

Not her day.

Earlier, she had gotten into a little scuff with some rogue traders--for a few coins they wanted her, not the items she'd offered them. And because she'd made such a fool out of them, one of them tried to run her through with a dagger, getting it only halfway in before she pulled away. The fight ended in an awkward sort of draw, since people were gathering around to see what the fuss was all about--not to mention the authorities.

She let her arm dangle, almost losing the urge to defend herself. She had to watch it--if she wasn't careful, her emotions would show on her sleeve. Once she hardened her face, she noticed that not only did she hold a face of pain, but was looking like a desperate doe, wide-eyed and almost in despair, at the wound. She jerked her head up to watch the man. "What, you're still here? Go on, go on--I can't let you come home with me, you know." She smirked. "Mother wouldn't let me keep you."

Lion

Her movements like that of a dancer, entranced him like a dancer.  It wasn't until her obviously annoyed voice penetrated the barrier of his thoughts.  "I know, I know.  There's no need to get hostile on me," he began half hesitantly.  Exactly how did one ask if another was a Carpathian?  It dismayed him to realize that even that was all he need to know from now, that he could go on from there, he was still at a loss for words.

Ralen had to tear his eyes away from her, especially if he wanted to get the words out.  So he resorted to giving vigilance to loose gravel of the building.  It was a bit difficult to see clearly in the scales of gray that occupied his peripheral vision but he made due with what he could.  Slowly he reached down into his boot shaft, his fingers fitting in just barely, and pulled out a small sack lightly weighted with coin.  He held it in front of him, jangling it like a bell before tossing it to her feet, the sound resonating with enticing clanks.  He may have lied about having money before, but a part of him felt he should give up what he had for reasons unknown.  Maybe, he was just being foolish.  Maybe there was some sort of logical reasoning behind his decision to follow her other than that he wanted to know her species.

She struck him as peculiar from the moment he laid eyes on her and now his curiosity was ranting at him to cease belaying his inquiries.  He moved his sight at the bag and allowed his eyes to snake up her form.  He had a powerful suspicion that his head was playing tricks on him; eminently on the tingling sensation that stored itself in the pit of his chest when he looked into her glittering blue eyes.

Wait a damned minute!  Blue?  Could she possibly be....  No, there was no way at this moment.  He had to admit the possibility was tempting, but there couldn't be a way.  His eye sight, though dominantly black and white, would return to normal colors every so often, that he could not use this change in sight as solid evidence that she could be the one.  He had to ask the ultimate question.  The question that came all too soon.  Involuntarily, he asked, "A-are you a Carpathian?"  As he awaited her answer he was caught up in the look in her eyes.  Eyes that bespoke of a severely grated wound, too tender to the touch.  And frankly it wrenched at his heart.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She watched him with a persistent suspicion as he reached down into his shoe. Fearing the worst, she assumed a defensive position, a slight uncomfortable snarl on her face. Once he threw the bag at her feet, she hopped backwards, expecting to land delicately on the edge of the rooftop. Instead, she overshot it and her right foot lost balance. She caught herself with her kamas, pulling herself up to inspect the mysterious bag he’d thrown at her. She climbed back onto the roof and scooted forward, making sure not to breathe (in case he had hidden some sort of gas within it). Because of her little…mishap…she hadn’t heard the jingling of coins. So she curiously took a kama and lifted the lip of the bag and shook it, hearing the sound of coins.

It took every muscle in her body to stop every muscle in her body from screaming “YAY!�

Standing up yet again, she looked him over. Just what did he want? Noticing the movement of his eyes made her nervous, making her jerk her head away to look at the full moon that rested on the horizon, cheeks burning slightly. “Iâ€"it’s impolite to stare that way,â€? she grumbled.

“Aâ€"are you a Carpathian?â€?

She gasped as if he had driven a sword through her. Her eyes widened at him, giving away every secret she held dearâ€"yes, she was a Carpathian. Yes, she had a lifemate. No, he wasn’t around anymore. Her eyes shimmered with the threat of angry tears as she remembered lonely days of not knowing where in this wide world Lomion had gone, listening to her brother boast about how he told her that he wouldn’t come to her rescue. “K…â€? She raised her head, her lower lip pressed tightly against the top to keep it from trembling. As for the rest of her trembling body, well…she just prayed he couldn’t see it. Her reddish-brown hair was illuminated with the brilliance of the cerulean blue moon, gracing her with an angelic look, if not for just a little while.  Ã¢â‚¬Å“Keep the money,â€? she blurted. The rest of her questions fell over one another, all trying to get answers at the same time. “Why are you asking me this? Who are you? Don’t you know that’s rude to assume someone’s a Carpathian? I mean, that’s basically saying that I’m a vampiress in the making. In all honesty, I’ve never experienced anyone as…as…!â€?

She raised both kamas as if to throw them, then threw her arms down in a childish manner, holding her head down. “I’ve had a bad day, so don’t…!â€? Don’t what? She was as curious as he was, but…she knew it would end the exact same way her bond with Lomion did. And what would she do if he continued to do…whatever? It was her job to steal, not to kill. That was her brother’s job. “I just…â€? I’m tired. I haven’t slept in days. My side hurts… her list went on and on in her mind, just like her tears went on and on. She furrowed her brow, determined to not let him in on her feelings. A thief never shows her feelingsâ€"wait. What am I, back to square one of thievery? I’ve really hit the bottom… Through a vulnerable, child-like, quavering voice, she said five words: “I want to go home.â€?

Lion

[Sorry for the delay.  I was reading Breath and Burn again in the Cerenis forum.  Brought back a lot of memories.]

If a few things could be said about Ralen other than that he was a gentleman, had insomnia, and was a little testy on the subject of family history, was that he was an excellent observer of life and its happenings.  He had a poet's heart, sentimental and caring, of which blended quite well with his gentlemanly upbringing.  The moonlight's play on her eyes were very prominent to him and the clasp her look had on his heart seemed almost a deadly vice.  If that infernal indifference hadn't already started drying up his ocean of courteous impulses, he would have wanted to give her a hug.  But then again, by the look of her kamas, such an action would have probably been most unwelcome.

Instead he focused in on her stammering, preparing to explain his questioning with confusing statements of his own.  Ralen had ignored her sudden outrage and watched her progression toward a more tranquil state.  He made a move to speak, gently gesturing at the bag of coins he so carelessly tossed at her, "No.  You seem to want it a lot more than I do.  It's immaterial to me what happens to it."  

As her stammering furthered, the idea that his assumption was indeed corrected began to seep deeply into his mind.  A moment of silence came before her last words wherein he tried to keep it at bay.  "I-I asked merely out of curiosity for I too am a Carpathian."  Ralen gulped his pride and tried to step closer to her, holding his hands up to show that he meant no harm.  Then it came: "I want to go home."

Ralen's head flinched back in surprise.  Home?  Home?!  Where in heaven's name was home for this thief?  He continued his wary approach, making sure not alarm her by any sudden movements.  As soon as he reached her he gently pulled the coin bag from her grasp and put it in his pocket, the few coins that were in there jangling within silenced by the enclosure.  A faint tattering of nonsensical thought came to him that perhaps his breeches were more snug than he'd like them to be at this moment.  He lifted her chin to face him and asked her as collectively as any proper adult would, "Where is you're home?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

((Haha! That's okay, I understand. I go and read other threads as well.))

Satu's ears alerted her to his approach, but at this point, she felt defeated. Here was the Specter of Silence, crying like the littlest girl who dropped her cream-filled treat in the candy store. The essence of pathetic.

Choking back tears, she allowed herself to hear that he was a Carpathian as well. He was such a kind man, Lomion wasn't like that--he was at the stage where emotions had fled from him, leaving him two choices: to find his lifemate or go for vampyrism. "Car...pathian..." It was all her tongue would allow before tears began to flow again.

He was getting closer--why wasn't she reacting? When she was but a young girl, she was taught that even in the most dire situations, you had to keep up your guard. So even when she cried like this as a child, she jerked back into action as soon as someone made a move towards her. But this...this calm washed over her as soon as he touched her chin. "My home is far away. I can't go back because I'm afraid I'll put my family in great danger. So I stay away."

Her thieving side finally awakened, giving her some sense back. Be careful! He could be trying to turn you in.

She pulled her chin away slowly, watching him with eyes that read "don't tell anybody about this." She turned her wrist up and wiped away three cascading tears in one fell swoop. She looked off towards the east, looking at Stonewire's Inn, where she had successfully bribed the owner of the inn with empty promises if he let her stay there for three nights.

Get a hold of yourself! "Many apologies," she uttered, still looking at the inn in the east. "I've had an awful day." She paused, thinking whether she should--oh, what the heck. She's done other careless things tonight, she might as well. "I'm going to my inn. You can follow if you want--however..." An eye swiveled in his direction, burning with blue crystals. "I don't want you turning me in or telling anyone about me. Understand?" Satu dared not move until he answered. She lifted both kamas, ready to place them within their straps on her back. In her mind, she laughed at herself: why was she trusting him all of a sudden? Just because he was a Carpathian? Then, she thought further. Maybe because he interested her just as much as she had interested him. And...because she needed someone to talk to. Or at least associate with.

She shook her head. She never stopped thinking about those kinds of things. She looked up at him again, and-- "Green." What the devil? Was she truly seeing green in his eyes? She blinked and squinted her eyes to test them. Yes, they were still green. But why? After months of gray and black, why?

Lion

[I remember making Cyrus to be such a chivalrous klutz.  With hope, I won't make the same mistake with Ralen.  He'll be a gentleman but a little more intuitive than his Medirein counterpart.]

Ralen listened quietly to her, acknowledging her every word as if somehow drawn to them.  His head was forced to look down at her since he towered over her by at least a whole head.  Ralen chuckled in a non-offensive manner and smiling, he muttered, "You may trust your secret to be safe with me."  At the prospect of following her, a part of him, though he didn't want to admit it, actually wanted to follow her.  To know more about this mysterious Carpathian woman whom refused to make her identity known other than assert her alias to him.  He wasn't really into the idea of calling her Miss Specter if he ever saw her again.

That brought about another matter to be conveyed.  How was she to trust a complete stranger like him?  Though her words showed no aggression that he could read, he had questions as to whether or not he could place his trust in her as well.  But he decided it was worth the risk, decided that he would take the chance to know this woman.  Perhaps it would be the gravest mistake he could make in his life if he didn't.  Ralen sure as hell wasn't going to spend the rest of his existence alone and pining.  He nodded again and graced a smile to his lips.  "My name is Ralen for future reference," he said, still grinning.  "I don't think Goose would be a very appropriate name for someone who had just seen what I have seen."

Ralen returned her curious gaze.  He was not sure what to say now or even if he wanted to say anything to ruin this peaceful silence.  But then he wondered of her family and what she said about keeping danger away from them.  Was she a fugitive?  Of course, she was a professional outlaw, a thief to be exact, by her words to him before her tears.  She had a collected demeanor that simply oozed competence.  He was about to ask her of them, of why she could not go back but immediately decided against it.  It probably was too touchy a subject for her.  Hmm, his conscience chided him, you're not going to get anywhere in finding out more about her unless you take a different approach, fool!  Ask her of the inn!  If his conscience were a separate being, Ralen most likely would have been slapped by it.

"Uh where-"  But she beat him to the punch.  "What?" he uttered, his face screwed in a suspicious glance.  "C-can you see the color in my eyes?"  His confidence grew but he could not comprehend why.  "You're eyes.  I see them as blue.  They glitter like moonlit oceans."  Staring expectantly at her, Ralen was nearly breathless.  What did this mean?

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

((Holy freakin' crap! I thought your writing was a little familiar! xD How are you? *feels bad for not knowing you changed your name* But that's all right. ^-^))

She fought back a smile as he promised to keep her secret and nodded. Perhaps he wouldn't be so bad after all. What had brought this odd Carpathian here? It smelled like he was constantly on the lookout for his lifemate--the scent of another woman reeked from all over him. "Ralen," she repeated. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance."

She ignored his comment about her use of the name "Goose."

Once he had asked about his eyes, she gave a quick nod, bunching up her lower lip to make herself seem serious. "Why, am I wrong?"

"Your eyes. I see them as blue. They glitter like moonlit oceans."

Satu blinked at the man, wondering what in heaven's name was going on exactly. "How did...? I...Wait a minute..." She fought every last happy thought back until she was able to speak one phrase: "Follow me--we'll straighten things out at the inn." With that, she bounded from roof to roof, letting the happy thoughts slam from one wall of her mind to the other, screaming "I found him, I found him!"

Of course, Satu kept a realistic side to her, tucked far away from the reckless happy thoughts, keeping her grounded to the earth. It's a coincidence, it said, Don't get yourself hurt.

((Blah. A really short/bad post. xP))

Lion

[I've been pretty good over all.  I took a break after a long while and when I decided to come back I found that my account had suffered a slight deletion problem.  So I just created a new account and went from there.  Thanks for the exuberant welcome though :]

And on a more somber note, I don't know if I told you this, but I'm sorry about your grandmother. *gives huggable bear*]

Lady Marchalt could be described as a very fickle woman.  Particular about finances, her friends, her acquaintances and most especially her appearance.  Her elaborate wardrobe of dresses, wrappers, robes, coats and endless shoes filled her closet like a caved in mine.  Her scent was strong for she used potent perfumes of various scents, some more attractive than others, and now more than ever did Ralen begin to suspect that her scent rub off on him.  He was merely concerned because he did not feel like smelling like another woman in front of this lovely Carpathian.

He dragged ragged and shaking fingers through his silky, white-blonde hair, its outline glowing softly in the moonlight.  As thunder follows lightning came the revelation upon him that this thief was perhaps the one he was searching for in the whole of his existence.  A part of him shook with the utter euphoria that exploded like cannonade fire in his body.  Don't get too excited, Ralen warned himself, you wouldn't want to jinx it.

"No," he breathed in astonishment, shaking his head.  "They're green.  Well hazel-green to be exact."  He wanted to smile, to jump for joy, to cry out into the night his ecstatic relief that he felt running through him like a wild animal no longer chained or caged.

But before he knew it, she was off again.  Ralen dashed from his spot to the roof ledge and leaped like a bird into the air after her.  It might have been a strange sight to the people who chose to carouse the deserted streets this time of night to see two people capering from rooftop to rooftop without a care in the world.  The hurdling came easily to Ralen, following her lead and ignorant to the melting of the glacier the was forming around his heart.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

((*hugs the huggable bear* Thank you. ^-^ But she's out of her misery now, so when I look at it that way, it isn't so bad.

And I noticed all the accounts being deleted! I wondered about yours and if yours had survived. That stinks. But at least you're back!))

Landing on the sill of a room on the second story, she crouched down with grace and perfect balance, peeking through the royal blue curtains. It wasn't her room. She bounded to the next sill, and the next one after that and repeated the same process. She finally found her room and picked the window open, sliding it up and creeping through it, leaving it open so the young man would follow.

He may have thought it odd that she was going through the window like this, however she didn't want the doorman to be suspicious of her garments and her weaponry, so, to be safe, what better way to get around but by rooftop?

Her hand traveled by itself up to her chest and clutched at her heart. It was beating abnormally fast, faster than she would've liked. Not only that, but she was trembling, just as she had when she was first getting used to climbing up on rooftops. "What's made me weak like this?" She uttered. Satu glanced over her shoulder looking for Ralen, hoping he wasn't listening in on her conversation with herself. "I'm fine, but I feel like I need to sit down."

Without hesitation, she brushed splinters off of her shoes and trumpet sleeves before sitting down in a comfortable armchair, looking across at the other empty chair without the feeling of relief. What was wrong with her?

Lion

[Yeah, it usually isn't so bad when such an event is put in that light.  I remember when my grandfather died when I was four years old from lung cancer (he was a smoker, though I'm surprised he lived to be about 90 or so).  The whole thing was blur so I don't remember much, but from what I learned from my family he was in a lot of pain and I'm just glad that now his suffering is over.  All of my grandparents are gone but one and luckily I'll at least have fifteen more years to spend with her (according to doctors).]

Ralen perched himself in a stealthy crouch on the building top across from her, watching and awaiting as she inspected each window.  When she succeeded in picking the latch, sliding it open, and disappearing within, he perked up from his spot and ran alongside for she had gotten far from him in her window inspection.  He didn't dare question her reason for going in through this way rather than the front.  He suspected she had reasons of her own and he respected them as much as was innate in him to do so.  For what reason should give him right to do so otherwise?  Though he was sure that she was the one, that in itself gave him no right.

As he neared the window, preparing to dive into it like a professional acrobat, he felt a pulse in him quicken, causing a somewhat gentle thumping in his skull.  Maybe it was the idea of encountering her in the same room with him that made his blood boil yet he was not sure he could concur so.  Even as incoherent whispering touched Ralen's sharp ears he was already into the air and through the open window, twisting and landing lightly on his feet.

She had taken her seat in the armchair, the color which Ralen could not make out and, in turn, took his across from her.  She was right.  There were things to discuss between these two that were virtually complete strangers but how was he to know where to begin.  Eying her curiously, he took the time to notice how another color was coming into view: her auburn hair.  It was a color he had not seen in what might have been twenty or thirty years, even when he could still see color.  It was indescribably beautiful and from what he could tell suited her rather well.  

A ghost of a smile touched his lips, a bit nostalgic and bit lost in the here and now, as he said, "I'm seeing your hair now.  A beautiful shade of auburn, if I'm not mistaken.  I'm not am I?"  He looked down a little, tilting his head to gain a better view of her, when he noticed her trembling.  Carefully, he climbed to his feet and stepped lightly towards her until he reached her side wherein he knelt at her feet.  Looking up at her earnestly, he spoke in a soft voice that was filled with genuine concern, "Are you alright?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

((I lost my grandparents early on--Grandma Debbie was the last one--so I didn't know them very well. But that's good you get a little more time with your grandmother.))

She jumped as he made his way into the room, clasping the arms of the chair tightly as he lowered himself into the chair. Watching his every move, listening to his every word, made her weaker, tremble a little more. Her heart was beating quickly, jumping from the ribcage all the way down into the pit of her stomach.

"Auburn...?" She unconsciously reached up and pushed back her hair as if it were long and in the way. "I...yes, that's right. How are you guessing all of this? You're too good at this." The sentence just found its way to her mouth, not asking permission if it was all right to say that or not. Her cheeks burned slightly as she turned her head away.

Before she knew it, she heard him get up, walk right over to her, and kneel down. Her voice cracked as she shakily asked "Wha?" She shook her head. "I'm fine, I'm fine, I just--I just need to re--" As she was speaking to him, she had been making her way to lie down on her left side in the armchair. She let out a loud hiss as she recoiled from the throbbing wound, cupping her hand and placing it over the wound, not daring to touch it.

"Sorry if I scared you any," she murmured. "I hurt myself is all." Her heart was quickening in pace--it wasn't unnerving or uncomfortable. It was actually a little refreshing. Why, she wasn't quite sure. Was Satu that fatigued? If she was, then it wasn't quite safe to be around such a strange man--he could take advantage of her for all she knew. And besides, he smelled like another woman.  He could've just gotten back from violating another woman against her will.

She shook the thoughts out o her head to avoid becoming too suspicious. Now, now. This is another Carpathian. If anything, he could give me some hints as to what I should look for when finding my-- She had stolen a glance at him during all this and, yet again, caught the most beautiful hint of green in his eyes. She rubbed them as a sleepy small child would and looked again. Green, green, green! "Why am I...?" Her voice trailed off, rising to the top of the room like heat from a fire, wavering, unpredictable, full of a cozy warmth not found anywhere else.

Lion

[Thanks.  I'm very thankful and hopefully I won't do something stupid and waste that time away.]

Ralen felt the corners of his mouth pull back into a genuine smile.  If his face were a canvas, the colors that were his emotions probably would have covered every inch of it.  Though they were not plain on his face as they might have been, he could not hide the ecstasy he was feeling as he neared her.  The throbbing pulses that surged through him were become all the more prominent now.  They wracked his every muscle and caused him to tremble slightly.  Straining for control, he took a grip on a handle of the armchair.

He didn't know what it was exactly that made him feel this way as he looked at her, but another thing was that he could hardly tear them away so entrapped he was with her right now.  And to think, he didn't even know her real name!  Nodding to her explanation, Ralen said, "It's alright.  I'm such a fool I don't even know the meaning of fear."  A reassuring chuckle followed his comment as he beamed, child-like, at her.  

Though his words might have conveyed that his face were convinced that she was fine, his hands were not.  A look of dismay was cast over his face as his hands followed to her suspected source of pain.  He did not know it, but he did not like the thought of her under great stress one bit.  His smoothed hands tenderly laid where her hands attempted to hide her wound.  With one hand he entwined her fingers in his own and with his free one, removed any obstructions that blocked his view of her source for hurt.  His eyes widened in vague surprise yet he uttered softly, "That's terrible."

Suddenly he found himself leaning forward without his volition whatsoever, closing his mouth over her wound in an attempt to heal it.  He had never seen a Carpathian's saliva actually work the process of healing, but something was telling him to try nonetheless.  His lips enclosed over the wound in a slightly wet kiss.  Would it work? Ralen didn't know.  However, he did feel the beating of her pulse beneath the skin of her neck.  It was as quick as a rabbit's on the run from a white fox.  But what struck him as even more strange was the mutuality of the throbbing.  Ralen's face was drawing in to hers, becoming intimately close.  It seemed ages as he neared her further, gently brushing her cheek with his fingertips and turning her chin to face him.  He finally closed the distance as his lips landed on hers.  All that was reason, logic, and truth no longer having their place in his mind.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

He didn't know the meaning of fear? She didn't know if that was fearless or oblivious of him. She watched him move about, taking her hand into his own, moving her jacket and undershirt out of the way to see the sword wound. Afraid he was going to poke at it like the few friends she used to have would have done, she cried out: "That--!" But felt his gentle hands--smooth as silk--graciously glide against her skin, not meaning any harm. Even so, the wound was still tender to the touch--after all, she'd just gotten it this afternoon. She hissed again, but this time it was a little more restrained. Her hackles were already rising at the fact that he had moved her hands and was touching her without permission. As long as he didn't do anything stupid, he wouldn't find himself in an uncomfortable position.

She had looked away from him for a quick second--who knew why?--to find something slightly warm touch the wound. It pressed against the edges of the wound, making a dull pain dance around it. However, it seemed to be going away little by little. Satu glanced back at him to notice his mouth was there, doing something she'd forgotten about already. Is my memory that bad already? I've already forgotten our saliva heals wounds? She remembered Lomion and how, once he had bitten into her, had been almost immediately healed of his horrendous wounds. The thought of Lomion made her twitch a bit: the bastard.

And this one--this man--was probably the same way--waiting only to recieve comfort, then will leave again whenever he felt like it.

She pulled her head away from his as he neared her face, face reddening and eyes bright with not only fright, but with an embarrassed innocence. She'd never been kissed before--why did she have to start now? But, out of curiosity, she let him. He seemed experienced with it--which embarrassed her all the more. Her awkward lips were trembling, slightly parted, wanting to deepen the kiss herself, but couldn't get over the embarrassment to do so. Couldn't he have warned her so she could have been ready? Or let her initiate? Or--

A thought of Lomion came into mind.

Don't get attatched so soon, honey. Satu's eyes shut tightly, fighting back angry tears and, raising up a hand, she lightly slapped Ralen, an action that was meant for Lomion. "Don't--!" How could she explain that? Couldn't he read her mind like the other Carpathians could? She was pretty much an open book since she never learned how to conceal her most secret, deepest thoughts.

She was pushing herself into the armchair, head turned from him, eyes still closed tightly. One after another, tears were eeking through the tight spaces in her eyes, resting on her high cheekbones for a moment before continuing their journey down her angular face. "Don't!"