Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What Dreams May Come

Started by Anonymous, February 16, 2008, 02:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The tavern was on the less savory side of town, sorely in need of a good scrubbing from floor to ceiling and just barely bright enough to discern a pretty face from an ugly one, which Tryst thought was a shame. Still, it was lively enough and the ale was flowing like water.  This was good because Tryst was broke and where there was ale there were men with coin and a drunk man with coin was a far easier pursuit than a sober one.

On her way across the room she scanned her surroundings, seeking a target. It took only a moment to spy a drunk slumped over, all but drooling on the table. Without an outward sign of nervousness she deftly slipped her fingers into the man’s pocket and relieved him of a few coins. Enough for a drink, at least, she figured as she made her way to the bar, adjusting her bodice a bit lower.

“Wine, a strong vintage,� she tossed a few coins in the general direction of the barkeep. She realized as she sipped her wine that she was bored. Intolerably bored with this wretched city where she could sense distaste for ‘her kind’ in every sidelong glance and under-breath whisper. They were the same as the clan. No one seemed to have a problem with her when she shelled out coin for a drink, or resigned to share their bed with them after a long night in the tavern… but on the street…

Where has all the excitement gone, she wondered. It had been years since she’d left the Elven Clan, curses and stones following in her wake. It would be one big adventure from there on out, she had decided that day. Yet, here she was, in another cheap tavern surrounded by swaggering fools drinking another glass of cheap sour wine.

She scowled into her near empty glass and beckoned the barkeep for another, which she downed in a single gulp. The bartender flashed an appalling toothless grin at Tryst that made her stomach churn even more than the lousy wine did, but he was already refilling her glass so she forced a smile in return.

Gods if even one interesting person, preferably one with teeth would make an appearance in these places I might keel over and die of shock.

She was still sulking about her plight when the door to the tavern was flung open.

Lion

All along the journey to here, Germaine could think of nothing but the drink she so direly desired.  Something strong, not too potent as to wipe out her wits but enough to relieve her of the tension that wrapped around her brain like a python's deadly embrace.  Her head pulsated harshly as if knuckles garbed in a steel gauntlet, relentlessly thumping on the inside of her skull.  Wrapped in her armor, plated and layered in a strong and flexible, ebony steel, and flowing crimson cloak, she cut quite an imposing figure as she strode through the wisping wind on her chestnut gelding, it's gentle hooves prodding on the streets like a bored beggar.  It was very windy so she was thankful of the warmth her cape offered to her, its thick fabric soft and comforting.

Germaine was sure she did not need to be dressed so securely in all her mobile armor, leather tunic and all, even the heavy pauldrons she never cared to wear before.  However, that dream that reached her the night before gave her a feeling of uneasiness, an emotion she never had the misfortune to experience before.  She was thankful she could not remember it clear for it disturbed her too much.  All she could recall was the voice that spoke to her while she slept, visions of death and burning passing over her conscious sight like drifting clouds.  It was a woman's voice, one that did not hold the trying of years but about as old as she.  Despite its words of terror that shook her to the core, Germaine felt a faint familiarity from the voice, as if she had known it all her life.

She could not--would not- think of it now.  It perturbed her too greatly and perhaps she would able to drink away her anxiety in the biggest bottle of brandy they had, no matter the cost.  As she approached the tavern, The Wisp o' the Times, read the sign hanging in the front just above the battered wooden door, the headache that plagued her on her way here seemed slightly dissipated and dulled, dismounting she handed Kyran's reins to the ostler by the stables, tipping him handsomely.  "Take care of him," she commanded before stepping lightly inside the tavern.

It seemed all eyes turned on her as she walked in.  Having so many people stare at you didn't help her headache and seemed to grow doubly as she walked in her impulsive gait to the head of the room, ignoring all of the rowdiness, and ordered the brandy she so eagerly desired.  For all her look, her face was serene, her short, black hair sufficiently hiding the two small spikes that were growing out her forehead.  When the drink arrived, she was sullen gulped half of it down, feeling the fiery liquid seethe relentlessly down her throat.  All she could think about was the terrible dream and the voice that was hauntingly familiar.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

"SOMEONE STOLE MY MONEY!" came a cry in the streets.

Angel Macleod had heard this from about four hundred meters away as he strode down the street just five minutes after he had picked the unfortunate victim's pocket. Yeah, that's what you get for trying to scare me senseless, ya bastard, he thought to himself in glee. He then hid himself in the alleyway, preventing himself from being seen.

Earlier, he had run into a man who was--judging by what the townsfolk say of him--was a racist bastard. He thought that humans were the best race of all--especially over half-elves, whom he considered as "dirty mongrels." Now Angel didn't take that comment very kindly, especially when it was pointed at him, so he decided on a subtle, yet effective revenge. He pretended to be very afraid and offended by the man. The man came in his face and started badmouthing Angel. Angel barely restrained himself from murdering the fool, but he kept his act up, then, while the guy wasn't noticing, he swapped the bum's money satchel with a note attached to a rock. He then ran away, pretending to cry as he did.

But even though he had succeeded in getting even, he was still quite angry at the man for badmouthing not only Angel, but the kin of half-elves. The half-elves did nothing wrong to offend the humans...just existing was enough to set some of them off. True, in his twelve years of traveling, while Angel had come across people who were tolerable of--and even friendly to--him, those crossings were fleeting, and he found people who couldn't tolerate a race with mixed blood...well, much less than in his former home continent, but they were just as nasty.

Angel shook the thought out of his head. I really should stop being this cynical, he thought as he stepped out of the alleyway and towards a nearby tavern. He ran a hand through his extremely long white hair and set his different colored eyes on the door. He made his way inside; he needed a drink.

He eyed the tavern left and right suspiciously. Some of the human occupants had made glances at him, while others whispered under their breath, but a large portion of the crowd was just too wasted to notice him. Sleazy...but it'll do, he decided.

He made his way over to the bar and sat next to a rather quiet woman, thinking that she might be good enough company. "A pint of your strongest drink," he told the bartender. As the bartender prepared his drink, he took a quick sideways glance at the woman and noticed she was a half-elf, much like he was.

He then accepted the drink and paid the coin from the satchel hidden in his long, white coat.

Anonymous

The bar around Tryst was beginning to grow crowded.

Finally, someone other than the local bar-rats, Tryst thought; not really considering the fact that her frequent visits to The Wisp o' the Times threw her into that category herself.  Most notable of the newcomers were two in particular.

One was a young woman who strode into the tavern as if she owned the place. Dressed in full battle regalia, Tryst couldn’t help but chuckle. If war descended suddenly and abruptly upon the little hole-in-the wall tavern, at least someone would be prepared.  

The second was a half-elf, by the looks of him. Tryst was fairly intrigued by this, almost as intrigued as she was by his multi-hued eyes. It wasn’t often that she stumbled across others of her race. A little shiver of anticipation ran up her spine when he opted for the seat next to her. This could be an interesting night after all.

Tryst knew she shouldn’t go in for a fourth drink. The wine, cheap though it was, was strong and already she was beginning to feel that warm tipsy feeling, that giddy dizziness, a sensation that had gotten her into trouble on more than one occasion in the past. Beyond that, her pilfered coins had run out. Still she found herself calling out to the barkeep for another.  Once it was in hand she turned to face the half-elf beside her.

“Got any coin,� she asked, flashing him her most winning grin then gulping down another draught of wine.

Anonymous

Zandra had found that is was best to stick to cheaper, sleazy taverns. They tended to not care about her unusual size and shape. And there was a higher chance of the whole room breaking out into a fight. And the Centaur liked bar fights. They were quite fun.

Her hooves made a dull clopping sound as she walked down the street. She scanned the buildings, looking for a good place. Finally deciding that one was just as good another, the warrior ducked into The Wisp o' the Times.

It was what she had expected. To small for one, but that was to be expected. At least it was crowded. Zandra made her way carefully to the bar, not wanting to smack her head on the ceiling.

She nodded at the bartender, "Something strong. Something actually strong."

Zandra was well aware of the looks she was getting. Centaurs weren't normal in the cities. And men always seemed to find the fact that they didn't care about clothing much fascinating.

She was a little surprised to see some elves near her. Or, maybe elves. They looked a bit like the ones who lived near her home village, but these ones were less...rugged. They were softer looking, pale and delicate.

Anonymous

Bells all a tinkling Fool loudly banged open the door and quick stepping in to avoid being hit by the door as it banged back on him. Always a fan of the local taverns paticulary for culture and the promise of cheap brandy Fool had chosen the cleanest in his opinion, since everyone knows the shabbist dirties ones have the best service. Humming to himself as he tinkled around the tavern he spied a horse standing near the bar, snickering to himself he went into a quick hopskip and quickly sprinting across the bar he hopped onto a table and lept into the air. Quickly getting into a small human ball  he span once before landing on the nice horse's back. Breathing out in a rush of adrenoline he grinned and flagged down the barmaid

I'll take a small measure of wine mixed with your finest brandy.

Patting the horse's head with a bemused expression he found himself noticing how unhorselike the head was, oh well, might be a freaky horse.

Anonymous

Zandra started when she felt the strange man land on her back. She turned as best she could, stomping one large foot, trying to get him off, "Get off! Now!"

She was not some beast of burden to be ridden. Far to many humans seemed to think that. Or, whatever race this creature was. She shook herself again as she tried to smack the creature with an elbow. Sadly, her back wasn't that easy to reach in the small confines of the bar.

Anonymous

Angel gave a small smirk at the half-elven woman; it seemed clear that she was having too much to drink, so he decided against it. "No, I haven't...that was the last I spent on this drink. I'm sorry," he said. A lie, but he masked it well.

The door opened, and a female centaur, of all creatures, entered. Now, he didn't mind centaurs, but it was rare to see one walk into a bar filled with humans. He shook off the notion and took a long gulp of his ale.

But then Angel could have sworn that he heard ringing bells as another person entered the tavern. Angel glanced and saw that the next customer looked something like a jester. Now that was a very rare sight. Angel ignored him and went back to his ale. But it almost went down the wrong tube when he heard that strange jester-like fellow jump onto the centaur as if she were a domesticated horse. Now if Angel knew a thing or two about centaurs, they did not like to be treated like that. And lo and behold, it looked like the centaur was trying to fling the man off her back. Angel felt the centaur could do it too, so he regained his composure and turned to the half-elf female. "Kind of a roughhouse, wouldn't you say?" he said, referring to the fight going on.

Anonymous

Tryst gazed in wonder at her surroundings. First half-elves and women masquerading as knights in shining armor… now centaurs and jesters getting into barroom brawls. She was a bit worried that someone had slipped something into her wine. So much for being bored, she thought with a smile.

“More like a carnival… we could take this lot and form a travelling circus…Go on the road, see all the sights,â€? she paused for a moment then as an afterthought added “Tryst Brandeis pleasure to make your acquaintance,â€? and extended a hand for the man beside her to shake.  Her attention was still half-absorbed in the debacle with the centaur and the fool. She watched it first with amusement but then with mild concern.

“Someone really ought to break that up before somebody gets hurt,� she fretted. Assuredly she wasn’t the one to do it. She wasn’t quite sure she could stand up at the moment, let alone wrangle a centaur into submission.

Anonymous

Fool was not one to be detered by a mere elbow, fending off the smacks with  his forearm he expertly balenced without neededing to set a hand on the horse with two arms's body. Still patting the horse's head he calmly and cutely murmered.

Thats a good horse, no need to smack the fool, Fool hasn't done anything wrong has he?

Anonymous

Angel smiled and gladly shook the hand. "Angel Macleod is my name. Nice to meet you." He then glanced at the centaur, who was still struggling to get that fool off of her back. Yep, it looked like it should be broken up. After taking another sip of his ale, Angel went through his mental list of things he could do:

Well, he could blind them temporarily with a flash of light, but that would mean the entire bar would be unable to see for a while.

He then thought of beating them senseless, but he had never fought a centaur and a fool before.

He then thought of finding someone else to break up the fight, but this tavern was filled with drunken bums who seemed more likely to join the brawl than stop it.

"Yeah, someone ought to stop it," he said worriedly. "But I don't think I'm the one to do that. I've never fought a centaur before." Then, after a pause, "But I'm sure that someone will." His tone was filled with reassurance after he eyed what appeared to be a female knight in shining armor.

Anonymous

Having a frustrated and thrashing Centaur warrior was a bit exciting in a small room. She snarled at the Fool smacking his hands away from his head, "Get off me right now or I'm going to rip those bells off and shove them up your ass!"

Normally Zandra was much calmer then this. But no Centaur likes being treated like a horse. She shook herself again, trying to dislodge him. Because of the low ceiling and her large size, she couldn't get her full range of motion and was having problems reaching the agile clown.

Anonymous

Keeping a bemused expression on his face Fool lent over and recieved his order from the bar, taking a sip from the fruity brandy he smacked his lips extravagantly and then went to calm down the armed horse thing, setting his glass down on a nearby table he screwed up his face and weakly slapped the smacking hands away, still keeping his balence on the shaking horse he responded in a witty way

If you dont calm down i wont get off you anyway, i'm pretty sure your going to get bored of this a long time before i will my good horsey!

Anonymous

"I am not a horse!" Zandra was starting to get embarrassed as well an angry. Not a very good combination for her, "Just because I bare a resemblance to your work animals doesn't mean I am one!"

She shook herself again, "Now get off!"

Anonymous

Fool leant in closely so the centuar could see his face, sticking out his very pink tongue he grinned

Anyone can see that your not a horse, dont make yourself look foolish by pointing out the obvious, i believe that i'm the only fool here. Pff i never use horses as work animals, so i think that little presumption is incorrect i'll be awaiting my apology thank you very much. I fail to see how a Fool sitting apon you back is such a hard thing to complain about, i dont wiegh very much, i'm fairly sure i dont smell i washed earlier today, i dont make much noise and between you and me my dear friend, Your making a bit of a scene.

Fool however had another approach, sending a tendril of suggestion ever so subtley just to see how resistant the centuar was to enchantment, and maybe to get a free drink out of it

Well maybe the fool isn't such a bad person, and he's right he doesn't wiegh much, maybe i should just leave him where he is, maybe he wants another drink as well

Anonymous

The Centaur shook her head, her eyes glazing slightly for a moment. Maybe the Fool wasn't so bad after all. Though she still didn't like him on her back.

"Get off of me and maybe I'll forgive you. Regardless of your weight or smell it is still rude to climb onto someone without asking." The Fool might not smell much, but the Centaur had a strong horse scent mingled with the slight scent of greasy hair and sweat. It wasn't all that unpleasant, but it was distinctive.

Lion

[Sorry to say that I don't think I'll be able to post anymore in this thread.  I just can't seem to find the time right now between school and all the threads I have already.  So again, I apologize to those who expected me to post.]

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Giving the centaur one more pat on the head Fool gracefully dismounted only to leap over the counter in a very cavalier fashion, pretending to be chewing something he leant on the counter with one arm and looked at the patrons standing next to the centaur, changing his voice to a drawl that mimiced the bar man who was looking coviently the other way

So.....What'll it be?