Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

You're the boss and I'm just a slave (open)

Started by Anonymous, April 23, 2008, 02:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

A whole cacophony of impulses assaulted Juliette's senses, as her captor tore through the night. Nothing appeared more than a mindless blur. Add to that, the dull numbing sensation of claw-like fingers digging into her flesh with a merciless intensity. She raged against her captor, she really did, railing and rallying for the whole journey. Scores of creatures were thrown into disarray, woken up by her high-pitched alien wailing.

Why couldn't he understand that she didn't want to go with him? She didn't want to go anywhere in fact! The place outside the city was the only place she had known since waking up, and something in her wanted to cling to it in case it shed any clues. It was a silly notion; of course, for she had been dumped without a second thought, but to her, in this state, it was the only rational thing she could hold onto, the only lifeline she could grasp that was in plain sight.

The swarming energy from the blood Juliette had drunk earlier was already diminishing, ebbing away ever so gradually back to a baseline. She was falling back to the earth from her high, and with this grounding, she felt her limbs grow heavier, the result of the sheer burst of uncontrolled energy she had burned in the last hour or so.

She had ceased to scream. Something the notion that it was useless had gotten through. Now, the odd sniffle penetrated the cold, still air. It seemed that her lessening struggles were also doing her some good. Either that, or her captor was also weary, for he too slowed down, and let go of her legs. With a graceful arch of her back, Juliette felt the tips of her toes touch the dirt ground, followed by her heels. How good it felt to be on solid ground!

Her joy was short-lived as an arm clamped around her body once again. With that, her mouth snapped open and her eyes screwed shut as another scream erupted from her throat. Before she had a chance to thrash out, she felt her captor's fingertips upon her face, gently probing her chin, nudging her so she had to turn her face the other way.

Hush, hush. I'm not going to hurt you, youngling. Just quiet down, please. Shhh-shh-sh.

Scowling, she closed her mouth and fixed him with the most evil glare she could muster. The aura she was receiving from the man confused her. What did this goodwill mean? She reacted by making her pout more fierce and laughed harshly when she felt the grip upon her body tighten.

Tossing her hair back rebelliously, she spat, "You hurt me lot's here," and then inclined her head towards the place where he was gripping her.

The last dregs of the blood magic in her veins receded, and it was as if a light had been extinguished. Juliette gasped, and slumped against her captor, as all the energy from her first feeding drained out of her body. Moaning softly, she felt her knees give way, and dark spots began to swim in front of her heightened vision. This was a sensation she remembered all too well. The dizziness, the swaying, the disorientation just before one passed out. But she couldn't; this man was dangerous and had her all to himself and she didn't know why and all she wanted was to go home and to be able to articulate her thoughts the way she could before. Now she was well and truly helpless.

((Sorry, not given you much to work with there, hmmm... -_-; ...*runs and hides* ))

Lion

[Eh, no worries.  I'll manage.  *gives treat*]

The icy chill of night was heaven to his almost languid skin as the adrenaline of mad running flushed through his veins.  But little did he know how numbing the smooth flesh of his face really was in comparison to the hot fury he felt rising in him.  It wasn't the anger he had felt when he tore the zombies to shreds; that was sadistic bloodlust combined with trembling rage that made him powerful enough to literally tear bodies to pieces if he wanted to.  And then he had wanted to.  But now he only wanted to calm the girl, but if she was going to be dodgy and annoy him, he could reciprocate accordingly.

Yet he suppressed himself with something that was of great effort to him.  Usually he never had, or wanted to for that matter, to control his anger.  For it was in this emotion that was one of his greatest resources and, when his past was considered, he had a lot to be angry about.  So, he figured what better way to channel such a powerful emotion than to trigger it into destroying one's enemies.  And, in seeing how weak a fledging she was compared to his aged and strengthened state, he knew that he might well be able to destroy her without a second though.  Yet, for reasons he could not identify, he took pity on the scowling little creature struggling in his arms.

His face remained as tranquil a facade he could muster, even going as far as to place a small, wry smile on his lips as she complained about his hold on her.  His smile widened a little bit as he snapped, "I'm trying to help you, you insolent little wench!  Listen, I'm sorry about that, but I can't let you go because you'll just want to escape again.  I can't let that happen either."  He lessened the hold just a tad to make it more comfortable but still not enough for her to break free from.  And just when he was about to ask her if it was better, not that he really cared, she fell limp in his arms as a soft moan escaped her lips.  Quickly, he caught her beneath her arms and held her against his stalwart frame for support.

"Damn it!" he whispered harshly.  "Don't faint.  Stay awake. Come on, you can do it.  Or you'll die in the bane of your existence.  Fight it!  Pull yourself from the swirling darkness.  Whatever you do just don't let yourself fall!"  His mind thought quickly and his eyes became alarmed.  Blood!  It was obvious she needed further sustenance after feeding so little on the guard of her choosing.  Human blood to a fledgling was a puddle in a desert compared to the kind of nourishment they so desperately needed.  Such blinding hunger often caused a youngling to act like a ravaging marauder, killing all in their path just to feed, with no regard to their own safety.  And it was this behavior that got them slaughtered by professional hunters like cattle in an emaciated country and the mournful answer why so many young didn't last their first year.  Well, to hell with that! Dietrich thought savagely.  He would let her feed on him if he had to in order for her to survive.

Uncannily, he switched around her torso as if she were some kind of rag doll and set her back to his chest.  Tearing the remnants sleeve from his left arm and supporting her with his right arm wrapped around her, he placed his forearm before her face and commanded her in a gentle voice, "Feed.  I don't care if you hurt me, I can stand the pain.  Now, sink your fangs into me."  He suddenly felt very irritated by her sudden weakness.  He'd almost preferred her animal rage at him to this silent frailty.  But apart of him pitied her for he could concur with the difficulty and confusion that came with being newly transformed.  He held her close to him reassuringly and spoke softly, begging her to bite into him.

Yet a distant part of his mind could help but scoff reprovingly, "Women."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Juliette was barely aware of being handled about. Her head flopped lifelessly to the side, and her eyelids fluttered feebly as she tried to cling to wakefulness. She didn't quite understand what was happening, but it didn't seem to matter. In fact, nothing seemed to matter at the moment apart from the faint swirling black dots that were appearing before her eyes. They entranced her, beckoned her onwards. They whispered that there was still hope, that her soul hadn't been fully bound to her body for all of eternity, that she could still go to a better place.

In her mind's eye, the cottage materialised again, and the warm scent of freshly baked bread filled her nostrils. Juliette saw a group of people stood by the door, all smiling, and waving. They had their arms around each other, and were wearing simple country clothing. Yet, there was something wrong with this picture. Where the eyes were supposed to be, there was nothing but dark shadow. Feeling uneasy, one of her own eyes cranked open, and peach coloured flesh filled her vision.

"Feed."

Juliette stared helplessly at the arm. Somehow, deep inside, she knew that there was no turning back, that she was already damned. She found herself fascinated by the blue veins. Her eyes traced the path as it branched off into smaller veins, and she had to swallow to keep the drool from spilling out of her mouth.

Feed, is that what the man had said?

She tilted her head, questioning the order silently. There was something of a look of urgency in the man's eyes that made the decision for her. Juliette gave in, and unleashed the demon within.

Her mouth clamped over the man's arm, and she struggled to be free so she could lock her hands around this bit of juicy flesh. Her teeth sank in easily, as if she were biting into a sandwich. The blood trickled into her mouth and her tongue lapped it up gratefully. At first, she was tentative, but the hunger took hold and soon she was feeding in force.

This man was being both nice and really horrible to her. It was so confusing though, couldn't he make up his mind?!

The expression upon her face slackened into a dreamy countenance, as Juliette satiated her thirst. The gulping became less frequent, and then with a sigh, she let go, and sank to the ground whilst her soul screamed as it was vehemently sealed to her body with a burning intensity that caused her to feel warm and snug inside. Little did she know that she had well and truly now damned herself.

"It should be cold," she murmured to no one in particular, still with that vacant look upon her face. Bringing her arms up to huddle her body, she continued, "It should be cold, so why don't I feel anything?"

Things were finally becoming clear though. Objects took on names, and her brain slowed down enough for her thoughts to start making sense. She had been lost, and now she was metaphorically out of the woods. However, on stepping out, the world had now been irrevocably changed, and would always be seen now from these dark tinted eyes.

Past events materialised, and with dawning horror, Juliette unclasped her body and splayed her hands, which were trembling finely. The words that came out of her mouth were barely above a whisper.

"What...what have I done?"

Lion

As the girl sank her teeth deeply into Dietrich's flesh, he forced his hand to clench to keep him from an utterance of pain.  The vice of her mouth on his arm tightened and he growled harshly in response.  It was not long afterward that he felt the ends of his own canines advance past his gums and a noise escaped his throat that sounded sometime like a low, guttural snarl.  This snarl soon elevated to a slightly louder growl but was subsided by clenched teeth, hardened jaw, and a great amount of suppression on his part.  He rolled his eyes back in his head as he let small waves of pain flash through him from the throbbing of his forearm.  Regaining control of his senses, Dietrich felt her drain a small amount of power from him, his strength decreasing.  Apart of his mind berated him to stop her, to throw her off and chastise her for such behavior, but reason prevented him from doing so.  He knew of the resolve it took to survive so young and so hated by everyone.

But he had been lucky.  He had been received into a coven and had had a miserable human life.  Upon becoming a vampire, though indeed a creature that was hated by many and feared by most, he persuaded himself that he had shed his weakness and had been reborn into a stronger form.  He held no regrets in making the decision in staying as he was and instead saw the transformation as a new horizon.  Still, his new identity and feats for Cronus' coven did nothing to quell the silent contempt he knew the pure bloods held for him.  This caused him to hate anything fiercely that attempted to make him lesser than they and he left living under Cronus' belittling eyes and decided to find a home for himself.  And it was during this time that he had learned about the hardships of survival by his own volition: The loneliness, the eternal hunger, the fear of being captured by hunters or roasted by sunlight, never being able to settle in a place of inhabitance, and being hated.  It was hell in itself and only those strong enough to endure it could survive.

Furthermore, Dietrich did not have anyone to teach him of these hardships and he constantly feared that his second chance would be snatched from him.  These times of trial and survival hardened him in the face of danger but not his hidden heart.  And it was this inner heart that sympathized with the youngling that fed on him.  On one vengeful occasion, he had acquired a taste of vampire blood.  The primary reason was why he commanded her to feed on him for it was more invigorating and nourishing than human blood and would give her the energy he wanted her to have with longer lasting results.  He knew also of the bond created between two vampires when one fed on another without killing them but he was willing to risk it if it meant bringing her back.

After her feeding slowed and she released him, Dietrich fell back on his haunches and held his wounded arm to him while she huddled and uttered words that made no sense to him whatsoever.  Clutching the arm with his right hand, he perched himself on one knee in a balanced stance.  Using the torn cloth from his sleeve on the ground, he wrapped it around his arm in a tightly bound fashion, uncaring of the pain when his attention turned to her.  He drew ragged unnecessary breaths and his numb face was covered in tiny beads of perspiration.  As he watched her try to make sense of herself, and while his mind was now curious, as was his expression, he knew better than to ask her of her well-being.  He knew from her actions and wandering eyes that she was not okay.  He would be a fool to ask such a question.

Instead, he crawled over to her and remained in a crouch stance.  He grabbed her hands in a gentle grasp and jerked them lightly to draw her attention to him.  "You've survived is what you did and it was necessary for you to do so.  We have to go," he said quietly, an intonation meant to instill trust.  "Listen, things are beginning to make a lot more sense now aren't they?  In that case, my name is Dietrich.  I'm sorry for taking you by force but I needed you to come with me and you wouldn't hear me out.  There's not much time to explain everything but I'm sure I'd be able to even if there was time.  I promise I won't hurt.  I didn't lie to you before when I said I was trying to help you.  If you cooperate, we'll be on good terms.  Should you refuse, I'll be compelled to take you by force again, which, we know, neither of us likes."  He looked into her eyes with honesty, a rarity in someone like him and spoke both sternly and imploringly.

He spoke once more.  "I suppose I don't want to go around calling you 'youngling' for the rest of the night.  Do you have a name?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

It should be cold, but she couldn't feel a thing. Now that really wasn't right. But then, gradually, warmth began to creep through her. In her blood, the tiny red blood cells flowed with a new vigour that they had never possessed when she had been alive. Her new transformed cells pervaded every fibre of her being, nourishing and invigorating her flesh, so that she didn't mind not being able to feel the coldness anymore.

Juliette knew by now, that something had happened to her, that there was now no hope at all for a normal life. It was disheartening, but she still didn't quite understand fully what had gone on.

"I suppose I don't want to go around calling you 'youngling' for the rest of the night. Do you have a name?"

Her eyes locked upon the man, and she answered with meek obedience, "Juliette."

At least she still owned something close to her heart. At least she still remembered her name. Even though now, it seemed all so insignificant – what were names in the grander scheme of things? - Juliette clung to familiarity with the fiercest ferocity. The man had said he was called Dietrich? Now that was a name Juliette had never ever heard of. He must've found her tonight then. And furthermore, what an odd sounding name! It had a foreign lilt to it, suggesting that he too wasn't from around here.

Juliette sensed that kindness wasn't an instinctive attribute to this man's personality, so why had he shown her any compassion at all tonight? She was about to ask him that, when suddenly, a burning arrow whizzed through the air.

Eyes wild, she leapt up and tensed, drawing in a sharp intake of breath. The arrow had embedded itself into a tree trunk a few feet away. Despite her fear, she found herself transfixed by the flickering of the flames, by the orange destructive glow. She didn't know that apart from the moon and the stars, this was the only light she would ever see now. The light of fire, which was a greater cause of fear to her kind than a lot of other things. But she didn't know that at this moment in time.

((Sorry for the late reply – had a really busy weekend! Normally I do longer posts than this, but my muse is way out tonight... :( ...!))

Lion

"Juliette..." Dietrich mimicked, nodding in comprehension.  This was much better now.  Both were able to achieve some form of a state of halcyon.  And now he had something to call her.  He had to admit that she had a comely name and it suited her well enough despite the fact that she was covered in grime and garbed in filthy attire.  He considered a good sign that she was able to recall her name; it would have been a shame for her to discard what would become the last connection to her former life, if she remembered it at all.  He knew he didn't have time for further questioning at this moment and was about to suggest that they should continue on before the sunrise when suddenly a bright light zipped passed him and dug itself deep into the trunk of a massive tree.

Juliette had darted away from him in surprise and seemed transfixed upon what he discovered to be a burning arrow.  But instinct overthrew Dietrich's senses and caused him to duck as another projectile directed its path towards his head.  The heat of the arrow barely made contact with the nape of his neck but was almost enough to make him sweat.  It was ironic how once fire had been his tool when he worked as a blacksmith in life and now he had to avoid it because it would set him ablaze like gunpowder.  He exhaled a sigh of relief to know that the arrow passed over him without singeing him at all.  But immediately the thought of his own safety deserted when his perceptions detected a blazing dart headed in the direction of Juliette.

Around him, the world slowed down as he moved faster than everything else.  His muscles were fueled by adrenaline.  His focus honed in her as he moved towards her.  Again the world outside his line of vision blurred as he covered the distance between her and him.  Just as the arrow neared them he wrapped his arms around Juliette and yanked her out of the projectile's path.  He fell to the ground in the force by which he tugged her but was up on his feet in the same instant and pulled her after him.  "Run!" he commanded adamantly, hoping this time that she would realize that she was in danger and that she would cooperate with him.

He had no time to process the precise profiles of the figures he saw from out the corner of his eye.  But he did however make out a series of tattoo covered bodies and arms that matched those that would belong to renegade hunter house known as the Servants of Drakkar.  Unlike other established hunter houses, these adept archers and trackers were a scattered ragtag band with no elected leader and blended very well with the cultures of the mortal world, making it difficult to bring them to light, even if one managed to reveal the tattoos hidden beneath heavy trench coats.  They were excellent hunters due to their ability to use stealth to sneak up on unsuspecting vampires and primarily burned their prey to ashes with flaming arrows.  Doing so would keep the vampires from 'rising again' or so the Drakkarians would claim.  In all his existence, Dietrich had seen only one, a corpse he found in the wood one midnight jaunt equipped with the primary bow and arrow combination.  He did not know, however, that they could be found in this area of the continent.  Nonetheless, it would not be wise to remain in an area where one was just attacked in.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

It all happened so, so incredibly fast. One minute, she was upright, staring at the awe-inspiring way the flames flickered, and the next thing she knew she was face down on the ground. Her nose was being grinded into the dirt, and when she tried to breathe- could she even still breathe?!? - she choked on her own saliva, mixed with detritus and forest floor. It was enough to cause Juliette to retch. Stomach heaving, she scrabbled at the ground, clawing herself into an upright position just as Dietrich's hand locked upon hers and dragged her back to her feet.

A quick glance at the tree showed more arrows embedded in the trunk, arrows that would've sunk into her flesh instead.

"Run!"

And this time she obeyed.

Juliette's muscles spurred themselves into action, and she took off like a startled rabbit. She had no idea of which direction to run in, but further into the forest looked to be as good an idea as any. Something about the darkness closing in just seemed to be slightly more comforting right now, and so in that direction she went. The dark was better for making oneself inconspicuous.

Her feet followed the path, chalking up little dust storms in the wake of her flight. Juliette couldn't hear if Dietrich was still with her or not, for he must've been weakened from the blood transfer, whereas she had been reinvigorated. She still wasn't sure what he wanted from her.

"Dietrich?" She called uncertainly. Her voice was little more than a quaver. Slowing down to a brisk pace, she strained, listening out for any sound other than the immense pounding of blood that was thundering in her ears, rendering her deaf to all other sounds. The fine hearing would come with a bit more time, but the detailed sight was already present. It was the first thing to come, and in the ever increasing event of torture leading to death, it would be the first thing to go.

"I'm scared," she gasped. Her hands floundered for something...anything to cling to, for here in the deep unfriendly forest, everything appeared larger than life. It was no fairytale, Juliette realised. If it was, she would be able to remember everything. She would be able to throw off the blanket that covered her memories, and she would know who she really was, or at the very least, who she used to be.

It then came to her attention that she was lost. A white fog had descended from the heavens, and it cloaked everything around her, muffling and distorting the shapes of the forest. Instinctively, Juliette shivered. Here, few rays of light from the moon managed to scythe their way through the dense evergreen trees. Whatever light that did manage to cut a swathe through the canopy was meagre, watered out and weak.

But it was enough to reflect off a pair of golden eyes further ahead. She noticed this just before the low growl.

First, flaming arrows, and now this?

What was going on?

There was a name for this animal. She thought of a large furry creature with four legs, and a big panting tongue. But somehow, the image seemed slightly wrong. It seemed friendlier, warmer than it should be.

The eyes flashed once, and then disappeared, but the prickling feeling remained until she came to a wooden cottage. Weeds and the weather had taken over the beams, but the abandoned building still appealed to her. Juliette tentatively crept up to the building, and peeked inside each window, slinking around each side to make sure it was safe. Satisfied, she darted in, for nobody lived here and therefore she was able to enter the dwelling with no repercussions. But she didn't know about this yet.

The only thoughts in Juliette's mind was of the whereabouts of Dietrich, as she curled up on a hearthrug by a cold grate, and drifted off to sleep, with four walls and a closed door offering the only protection to her from this world.

Lion

Dietrich ran haphazardly through the forest, his legs not carrying him as fast as he would have liked.  He knew Juliette had drunk deeply from him but he couldn't conceive that she had actually drained so much strength from him.  He felt weakened, a little dizzy as the swarm of trees went past in a blur as he dashed.  He already felt the presence of the hunters recede into the darkness once again, having left them behind but suddenly he realized that he had also left the presence of Juliette.  Upon reaching this culmination, he slowed his dash significantly until he reached a complete halt.  He twirled around, his jacket flurrying as he turned with his head ducking to and fro in the foggy darkness, searching for the form the youngling.  "Juliette!" he cried out, running his fingers through his dark auburn hair in frustration.

He had thought his invocation when suddenly he heard, ever so faintly, his name in the distance.  When a vampire managed to become as old as he had been, acute hearing was an attribute that was useful in more ways than one.  Though the voice must have been a slight tremble, he was able to hone in on its waves and attempt to detect its precise location; but to no avail, he found only its course.  Instantaneously his head swiveled in the direction of the familiar meek voice.  The white smoke of the fog clouded his vision even as he began to move again.  Even as he walked toward the voice of the youngling, as she said something else he did not pick up, he felt compelled to get to her as quickly as he possibly could.  Yet he realized now that she had taken much from him and allowed the concept to sink in deep.

Dietrich stopped by a tree and waited until the dizziness subsided.  When it did, he cleared his senses and walked through the fog again, reaching out instead with his perceptions.  His mind extended out to her, trying to locate her.  It was even more difficult now that he was weakened but he forced himself to focus.  He could not feel her mind as closely as he could on their first meeting but with this resolve and a few minutes of concentration, he saw a vision come before his closed eyes: A vision of a woman approaching some sort of small building.  She ducked around each side of it, perhaps searching for something, before she bolted within and closed the door behind her.  What it was that she was looking for, he couldn't tell, nor did he know for sure that this was indeed Juliette.  But, he decided, this was the best chance he had at finding her because his mind reached out to other being than Juliette with a vicinity of a hundred miles.

But damn, the vision was as foggy as his surroundings and still the fear of uncertainty crept into his soul and at the fact that, should he lose her again, Cronus would roast him alive.  If only he were as powerful a psychic as Cronus that he may be able to locate her exactly, perhaps even summon her to him instead of having to go to her.  But Dietrich's primary ability was shape shifting, a skill that he honed to perfection to disguise himself to those that would become his prey or to deceive enemies from hunting him.  He had but one animal form, a large black wolf, which he could transform into when no humanoid form suited him.  He devised, that to get to Juliette quickly, he would need something faster than what traveled on two legs, even with enhanced running speed.  He would have to use his wolf form.

He paused in his motion and crouched low on the ground.  Such a transformation was direly painful because his bone structure would have to shift into an animal form that a two-legged being was not accustomed to, but he would endure it if it meant finding her.  With both hands and feet poised into proper formation, he felt his bones crack and moved as was required in performing the transformation.  His faced screwed in pain and almost snarled as his face began to bear more wolfish features, skull elongating into a snout, teeth sprouting into sharpened knives, his entire body compounding in muscle, and, after the blinding pain subsided and his clothes melded into this transformation can the shadow form of a great black wolf, twice the size of the average animal but just as vicious for it carried the same mind and behaviors as Dietrich.  Thick with ebony fur and equipped with burning yellow eyes, Dietrich set off in the direction of the vision in his wolfen form, great paws bounding off on the soft pads effortlessly.

His heightened sense of smell followed a familiar trail like a hound on the hunt.  His form dodged the great evergreens without the need for the moonlight that dabbled through the thick canopy above him.  After what seemed an eternity of running he came upon the same run down building as he pictured in his vision.  The smell of Juliette was strong here and ended without a trace.  Dietrich approached the door with caution, sniffing the ground and delicately balancing his lean weight on the soil with his large paws.  Found her, he thought triumphantly.   His voice was doglike and came out in indecipherable somber whines and whimpers as he scratched at the door as loudly and as persistently as possible.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The scratching and scrabbling at the wooden door recalled memories of scraping fingernails on a chalkboard, a sound that sent goose pimples down Juliette's back. Vivid images swam before her mind's eye; images of a young child, with the same tattered black hair and the same raggedy appearance. The girl was running around on a flat dirt square with other children, with all the wild abandon and carefree airs of an infant knowing that the world is good and green and pure. The images then switched to a classroom, and to the children ravaging an empty teacher's desk. One of them raked his hand down the board, and the most awful screech wailed outwards. The scratching grew louder and louder, and no matter how hard Juliette pressed her hands to her ears, the sound just cut right through to her head. Louder and louder and louder and...

She bolted upright, eyes wide and alert. The noises of the real world had slipped between the sheets separating dream from life, like nothing more than a mere ghost in the night. Juliette clutched the hearthrug closer to her body, and sat up blearily, still on edge as ever.

Her eyes never left the wooden door. They drank in the patterned grain, each etching a marker of a tree's lifespan. They drank in the scuffing on the bottom corner; an imprint made by the last owner of the cottage. And finally, they drank in the splattered bloodstain that speckled the wood grains, and she relived the violence and the screaming, the last secret imparted by the four walls of this abandoned cottage. Oddly though, she found herself less and less affected. Her heart began to race at the thought of all that blood, but inside, she felt sick, confused as to why she was reacting this way.

Juliette thought back to the animal she had seen slinking away in the forest, and her blood ran cold. An animal had wrenched itself here, slaughtering all the inhabitants. Maybe it was the same one she had seen.

The scratching would not cease. If it was going to do her any harm then it would've done so already by now. That was the logical thought in her mind as she padded towards the door, with sleep still flitting in her hair like moths in the night. She didn't want to make any sounds, and found that she was able to move with stealthy ease across the floor. When she had herself pressed against the wall, Juliette paused, and listened. The window was only slightly to her right, so she had a means of escape should the situation arise. With her left arm, she reached over and unlocked the door, allowing it to swing open.

For a split second, Juliette froze. Her eyes locked with those of the beast, and then her reflexes kicked in, and she had thrown herself out of the window. Her muscles leapt into action and the magic coursed through her veins. She would put a good hundred metres between this thing. For some strange reason, the sight of the animal...wolf...that was the word...the sight of the wolf caused the hairs on the nape of her neck to stand up on end. It must've been instinct. Vampires and wolves had never gotten on. She didn't know this, of course. All she felt was a burning, blinding hatred that engulfed her vision, and caused her face to twist into a feral snarl as she spun back around, a good twelve metres away from the wolf, gauging it's reactions, its behaviours. The fight or flight mechanism would kick in, in the next second.

((Gonna be away for a while! Any ideas on what direction to take this RP in?))

Lion

[I think a confrontation with Azalie and Ophicus is in order, just to change things up a bit.  Krazikiwi did give us permission to control the characters if need be.  This gives a chance for Mdu to post as well.  Then afterward, Juliette and Dietrich can have some bonding time if you'd like so that he may teach her how to accept what she is.]

He did not bother to sit on his haunches for he expected that he would be able to enter without any problems or obstructions.  He continued to paw at the door in his wolfen form, not at all thinking that perhaps the noises were making her nervous.  For a moment, though, he did consider changing back into his humanoid form to reassure her when she opened the door that it was indeed him.  The cold air blew through his thick black coat, tossing the hair to and from like a big ebony bush with a tail.  As the wind flowed a memory of his development of his shape shifting skills came storming back to him like a flashflood.

He had trained his power so that he would absorb the images and memories of humanoids that he killed so that he may assume their roles.  It may have come as a surprise that to shape shift was an ability that affected the physical body rather than a feat accomplished by spells, chanting and charms to obtain a veiled disguise that could easily be discarded.  A vampire's form of shape shifting altered his height, weight, appearance, skeletal structure, and sometimes even their mental disposition.  And to say that the transformation was painful was to say the very least.  Indeed it was, to feel bones breaking down, tearing through skin in clawed formations, face structure changing, and becoming an entirely different person all together.  This variation of shape shifting made deciphering the disguise a far more arduous task than with a mere spell.

It was difficult to say precisely when Dietrich had obtained his only animal form, but one thing could be said with certainty: it was of werewolf lineage.  It was true that vampires and the garou had a troubled history and it was true also that many vampires considered the werewolf were the bastard cousins of the vampire; just as many garou considered the vampire the bastard cousins of the werewolf.  There was a certain prejudice of one towards the other, a concept Cronus embraced within the rules of his coven.  The wolf and all of its relatives were to be hated, despised, and looked down upon.  But Dietrich had never been one for rules, except for his own of course and thusly did not entirely embrace this prejudice.  True, he did not have many fortunate encounters with werewolves, most of which wanted either to tear him to shreds or eat his head whole, both situations resulting in his death.  However, because he turned into the canine, though just an ordinary wolf by comparison, did further to mark him as an outcast.

Dietrich stood on his hind legs for a moment, whining loudly and persisting in his scratching until his smelled the scent of Juliette approaching him.  Then suddenly the door was pulled open and his great paws fell forward on the worn wooden planks that made the flooring.  Dietrich's glowing yellow eyes locked with who he was relieved to discover was Juliette, standing defensively beside a window.  In a flash however, Juliette had leaped out the window in flight.  This action surprised him, unknowing of the fact that the reason she ran was because she must have feared the look of him, not knowing all along that it was Dietrich.  He tried to call out her name but the word came out in a whining bark as he watched her dash away from him.  His human vocals fought against the animal larynx but to no avail, her name still came in the same utterance that sounded submissive.  In a spark of instinct, he darted towards her when she paused for a split second, hatred consuming her dirty face.  It did not take much strength for his muscle-packed body to cover the distance in a short time; a combination of four legs and vampire speed did wonders for him.  Dietrich bounded through the air in a pounce intended to apprehend her.  He attempted to knock her over with all the power of his weight, acquired velocity, and physical strength.  He felt himself collide with her smaller form and used his great paws to pin her down.  He tried to call her mentally, like he did in the tavern when he begged her to leave with him: "Didn't I tell you not to run!  It's me, Dietrich!" and uttered an ironically submissive whine.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

OOC: Is there any way the two characters could come out of the city? The soldiers in there would attack Vivian as soon as he went close enough. Is it sun-up yet because Vivian's skin burns in the sun.?

Vivian shifted away from the pair, unsure if he should stay with them or not. The female seemed a lot like his mother. She also had no problem with human drinking blood.

'I have to go. I need food before I have more cravings.' He licked his teeth and winced. His teeth hurt where he had bitten the golum. He hurried away and hid in a nearby garden. After all that he had been through he just wanted to curl up and hide. He pulled his tattered jacket around him and rubbed at his sore arms.

At least I am free.
Vivian tensed, expecting his ancestors to start teliing him how pathetic he was. When they didn't he breathed a sigh.

Anonymous

Before her reactions, kicked in, the wolf was upon her, and the next thing she knew, Juliette's head slammed into the ground, with a force so great that dust clouds kicked up. The pain was intense – fiery needles shooting through her brain in an explosion of white. Everything about the wolf screamed enemy to her, and her mind was in so much disarray, that it was unable to receive any transmission at all. Her fear was stark; even more so when Juliette found she could not move a muscle. She was so close to the towering wolf that she could see every tipped strand of fur and the rise and fall of it's great chest.

When the wolf failed to rip her head off, with a tremble, Juliette forced herself to raise her eyes, until they met the beast's. She'd seen those eyes before, but not in this body. The low whine brought harsh laughter to her lips, but the feral beast within herself recognised Dietrich, and submerged sullenly.

"Dietrich?" Juliette's pupils, which had been dilated to full moons, now returned to their normal size. She blinked once or twice, whilst her eyes readjusted to the meagre amount of indigo light that filtered between the leaves of the trees in the forest. "Is it really you?"

She tried to move, and forced her hands free.

At that second, she heard the wisp of something fainter, carried along as an echo, riding on the breeze.

At least I am free.

Juliette's brow creased in the faintest of frowns, and she stopped struggling. Who was that other voice? It seemed familiar, and so close. Close in distance, and also in time. She must've encountered it before, but the tendrils were steeped in mist, in the first few minutes of awakening. Everything there and then was extremely blurry. Manoeuvring herself into an upright position, Juliette shook her curls, and tugged Dietrich's tail several times.

"Did you hear that?"

((I have no problems with meeting up again with you, mdu! Sorry I've been caught up in RL, and apologies in advance as I will be going away again in a few days! *sniff*))

Lion

When he heard her laugh, Dietrich smiled in his wolfish form or at least what could be construed as the odd and amusing way a dog could smile.  She recognized him!  For that he was thankful enough and approved her inquiries with a few submissive whines and nudged the side of her face with his muzzle.  He took his paws off of her as she tried to free herself.  Stepping to the side precariously off of her, he was almost too preoccupied with the thought of transforming back into his original form for his thoughts to perceive anything distant.  When suddenly he felt an insistent tugging on his tail he turned and almost nipped at Juliette's hand.  

"Did you hear that?"

For a moment he perked up he ears, unable to catch anything.  He was about to reply to her when suddenly the frustration of being literally speechless took its toll.  Quickly he felt his wolfen form transform back to his original body: skull and snout shortening, claws and tail receding back to their origins, and the fur disappearing as well.  Changing back was a far more comfortable process than shape shifting into a different form.

He appeared fully clothed in his torn jacket, clothing and boots in a crouched position on the forest floor.  As the pain from his throbbing headache subsided, he shook his head and squeezed his eyes tight before pulling himself to his feet.  He took a moment to catch his breath as he reached down to help Juliette to her feet.  "I apologize for jumping on you," he said quickly, "But I told you not to run.  Though, it would have been impossible for you to know it was me if I didn't apprehend you.  Oh, damn my idiocy.  I'm sorry.  You'll be okay won't you?  Now tell me, what was it that you heard?  But be quick, we've—" He quickly scanned the skyline through what little spacing was apparent through the thick forest canopy.  "—only about one or two hours before sunup or else we'll both burn alive."

His voice was both gentle and stern as he nodded and looked at her expectantly.

[*screams* Horrifyingly short.  I'd normally write longer but lack of proper sleep, music, and writer's block keep me from writing a longer post.  And go ahead and meet up with them, I don't mind.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Vivian's stomach growled and he could feel lust building up inside him once more.  Slowly, he stood up and went to the house near the garden and rested his weight against the door. Right now he was almost willing to drink anything, which was not a good thing. He stretched his fingers across the door, and rubbed it down until they touched the handle. He grasped it with both hands.

No, he couldn't do this. He couldn't drain the householder's blood, nomatter how sick he was. Killing another person for his sake was wrong.

You coward. You know you need the blood. You're just too scared of the people living here. What would your mother think of you?
I'm not scared.
Prove it.

Vivian's lips trembled and he turned the knob and he sucked on his lower lip. He didn't want to do this, he shouldn't be doing this but he had no control over his movements. He opened the door and slipped inside. Inside was more of a hovel than a house and he wrinkled his nose. People lived like this, free people chose to live like this?

Please don't make me do this.
Don't beg, you weakling.

Vivian was dragged over to to a bed, in which was a man and his wife. They were sounds asleep. Vivian's hand reached out and stroked the woman's neck. She was so warm and her body was so soft. He could even hear the strength of her pulse.

This is wrong.

He bent over, his disheveled frame pressing lightly against the woman. he willed her to wake up, praying her or her husband would act in time to stop him. His lips brushed against her neck and he breathed in, smelling the scent of her skin. She didn't have the nicest smell, but after weeks of starvation, he could eat anything. He opened his mouth and sucked on his skin, forcing himself to go against his instincts. He didn't want to bite her. Tears began welling in his eyes and ran down his face to her neck.

Please! Don't make me do this! I'll go back. I'll go back to Mother. Just don't make me bite her!!!

A movement startled Vivian and he was able to control himself enough to lift his head and see what it was. The husband was awake! This was wonderful, the woman wouldn't be harmed. The man fumbled a moment or two before realising what was happenning. Vivian got off the woman and backed away.

'I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-' he said. He didn't get the chance to finish it because the man was coming at him. He scrambled back and got outside, then ran. He kept running. He wouldn't be able to change form while he was running. All the thought that was in his head was that he must get away, he must get to the forest.

YOU FOUL CREATURE! YOU COWARD. YOU COULDN'T EVEN DRAIN THAT WOMAN TO SAVE YOUR LIFE. LOOK AT YOU, ARE YOU CRYING? YOU WERE BETTER OFF WITH YOUR MOTHER. His ancestors continued abusing him all the way to the forest. He had no strength or will left to even argue with them, in fact, he agreed. He couldn't have drained that woman and he WAS better off with his mother.

Vivian slumped to at the edge of the forest, hands and knees sinking into the dirt. He had been so close, any longer and he would have bitten that poor woman. The thought made him wretch and he hung his head. He felt so guilty about what he had almost done. he needed to learn to control himself better.

Anonymous

Juliette swiftly released Dietrich's tail, as he shifted during mid-pull of his tail. She found that he was more formidable in his human form, and instinctively pulled inwards in the motion of a child that has been found being bad. Dietrich had asked her a question though, and after the whole palaver of earlier, she was beginning to believe that maybe he really did want to help her.

"A voice in my head," she said simply. "Not you, but a different one. Not very strong, but close." She crinkled her brow, as the words flowed ever more naturally from her lips. "I think he needs help."

Juliette didn't realise it was the man from the earlier confrontation, for she had hardly been in a fit state to recognise even herself. As it went, even now she probably wouldn't recognise the ghostly girl in this silver forest. Dietrich was right. Dawn would be coming soon...but why would she burn alive? Swallowing, she kept the question to herself for now. Tendrils of mist curled around her legs, and shafts of setting moonlight lit the way back.

She looked at his stern features, wondering if he would risk the penalty of being burned alive to go to the aid of this other person, who could potentially be an enemy. The decision was made for them both, when the man crashed through the foliage, and slumped at the tree line about twenty metres from them, apparently unaware of their presence. The thoughts and voices emanating from him were so violent that they spilled out into the night, hammering in on Juliette's own mind. With a cry, she clutched at her own head, and dropped to her knees in pain. What magic was this?!

Lion

Time was a tricky thing to tell, especially when one not only didn't bear a timepiece but also when they lived to be as old as Dietrich had.  He'd gotten so used to telling the passing of day into night by the feelings of which his body emitted.  During the day, while he could quite possibly stay awake during this time as long as he was out of the sunlight, he was a little weary and when night made its grand entrance, he was far more energetic as if the moon itself powered his body.  Time was of the essence only when it was required and now, as this night would soon end, it was.

Dietrich was wont to rush to her, but he curbed his impatience and awaited her answer with a hint of curiosity.  Yet as she finished speaking, he soon learned that she was right.  As he listened intently, there was a disturbance nearby that apparently she was able to perceive better than he could.  He thought nothing of that notion and instead focused on the presence of the thing that the din crashing into Juliette's senses.  It smelled like a vampire and yet in some sense he knew that it was not for it did not bear the smell of a true vampire.  Another species related to vampire was a possibility that he was able to consider only for a moment before the girl at his side cried out suddenly from seeming impairment.

"Juliette!" he called out, catching her under her arms but not before her knees permeated through the swirling mist and onto the ground.  The creature, from which he had originally detected the smell, came thrashing through the underbrush like a raving animal that suddenly grew a conscience.  He could tell somehow there was a great shame upon the seemingly human male's shoulders but did not change his hostile façade upon his face.  Even as he kneeled behind Juliette, he held her close to him defensively, though only the heavens knew why, as he stared at the thing with cautious yet dangerous eyes.  Dietrich held one arm around her waist and another around her shoulders as he spat out at the thing, "And what creature are you, monster?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

A woman's shrieks woke Vivian from his guilt and self-pity. He looked up to see a man holding a woman, who was in a lot of pain. The man was being protective and glaring down at him. Vivian had no idea why, he hadn't hurt them and he didn't plan to. Surely they could see he was harmless?

And what creature are you, monster?

'I'm, I'm a vampire,' Vivian said. He didn't want to say what he really was. This immediately set his ancestors abusing him again and he groaned with his head to the ground, his matted hair hanging in his bile.

Get out of my head. You've already caused enough pain. Unnoticed, he also spoke aloud. This was something that only happened when he was very weak or tired, of which he was both. I reject you, I reject my heritage and I reject the blood. They stopped. Why would they stop, unless they were planning to get him again later? He let out a long sigh. Even if they were planning to attack him again later, at least he had the night-time to hunt for animals.

Vivian pushed himself up to his feet and looked at the creature in front of him, possibly another vamp- one of those things. Why were they here, in front of him, in a forest, outside Reajh? His immediate thought was that they must be tracking him, but why was the girl screaming. He didn't like it when girl's screamed, he always felt uncomfortable and slightly guilty. 'What do you want? If it's blood then I should warn you, I don't have enough in me for even myself,' he was trying to sound casual but his voice wavered and it sounded weak. He could still taste the bile in his mouth.

Anonymous

The constant throbbing was too much for her newly awakened mind. She didn't know how to deal with the jagged colours and the spiky echoes of pain that assaulted her mind. Dimly, she registered being swept into Dietrich's arms, and the steely tone in his voice as he faced down the intruder.

The reply was that the man was a vampire, something that Dietrich had said Juliette was too. If that was the case, then they should both be so alike, and yet never had she felt so different from him. On instinct, she knew that he was something wholly different – but if asked, she would not be able to explain why.

Juliette barely even remembered the cowering man from the scene outside the castle gates. Everything seemed as if she had been walking in a dream. The mist billowed and enveloped her. She found herself trembling, wanting nothing more than to bury her head in the ground, which didn't seem such a bad idea when dawn was but a few hours away.

---

"This monster, this awful monster, just leapt through our window!!" If the woman's hysterical voice went any higher, then it would be supersonic, and what was left of the window would shatter immediately. Her husband clutched her protectively, and nodded assertively, confirming the story. "I thought he was going to devour us, but he was screaming so much, god knows why! He just turned tail and ran away!"

"And are you sure he went in that direction?" The leader of the group of men pointed with his flame torch, to a thin path in between two towering pines. The husband nodded again. "Very well, then. Thank you for your time, and may God be with you."

The husband ushered his wife back into the safety of the cottage, and slammed the door, whilst outside, the men milled about, picking up their weapons and hoisting themselves back onto their horses. There wasn't much time left, but if they hurried, then they could still catch themselves a vampire or two. A shout pierced the air, and was answered by the rest of the men. They waved their pikes, swords, and crossbows as a show of bravery, before trotting of into the darkness.

The monsters weren't far away.

---

"Don't like this," Juliette mumbled, pressing her head into Dietrich's side, so she didn't have to look at the man. There was something ominous in the air, something galloping on the horizon. It was following the man, like the wings of death. She muttered the same words again, "Don't like this," and then tugged Dietrich's sleeve, indicating that they leave now.

Lion

Dietrich's nostrils flared and he sniffed the air once more.  "You're no vampire...least not of the true breed.  A sub-species?" he retorted lowly.  "But I would not eat you if I was starving!"  He eyed the man a few seconds more, contempt slowly but surely filling out his gaze.  From immediate evaluation, Dietrich knew this creature was not a vampire, though it claimed to be.  It certainly smelled of death or so he thought, being the sadist that he was, but the man was weak.  As far as Dietrich was concerned, the weak could rot for all he cared.  But perhaps this thing was not as it first presented itself.  The notion made a prominent slip into his thought process and registered itself before he could ignore it.  Maybe this person was, as well, a youngling like Juliette only of a different breed and far more emaciated.  Grr, Dietrich groaned in irritation.  Shit!  Is this night to be filled with younglings?  They're practically falling out of the sky!

But he didn't have time to ponder upon such savage thoughts when Juliette began trying to dig her head into his chest as if to escape.

"Don't like this," she had said, continuing her excavation into his sternum and tugging at the remnants of his sleeve.  "Don't like this."

"Hold on a little while longer, Juliette," Dietrich spoke with a frightening gentleness.  It wasn't like him at all to show kindness or courtesy to anyone that didn't benefit him in anyway but the constant reminder of the Pendragon's wrath was enough to sway him in Juliette's favor.  Yet she was not prodding him out of weakness for it seemed she sensed something closing in on them all.  Something she perceived was obviously a hazard to them all and the feelings began to leak into him as well.  Dietrich felt his hardened abdomen clench and the shivering hands of the Reaper snatch at his guts.  Danger was near.  There wasn't a doubt in the landscape of his mind.

Nodding to Juliette in understanding that she successfully conveyed her message, he collected her in his arms and stood to full length.  His survival skills immediately notified him to get out of this area as quickly as possible.  Out of sheer lack of thinking, Dietrich turned back to the man and said quietly, "Follow if you want to survive.  If you seek death then go ahead and stay behind.  Whatever you choose, I care not."  With that, Dietrich stepped through the tendrils of early morning mist that grasped at his feet in vain and into the darkness with Juliette in his arms, heading toward a destination that was far closer than he would expect.

[So a band of marauders are after them.  I don't think the cottage would be a good hideout, would it?  Seems like it would be too suspicious to me.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

He was not a youngling or a new born; he was just weak from malnourishment. Vivian had been too long without a person's blood so his senses were incredibly dull. He rarely had good sight to begin with and his normally strong sense of smell only registered the scent of his own sick. His senses of smell and taste were now next to useless, they were weaker than a human's now. Hopefully he would not be able to taste animal's panic next time he drained their blood. Knowing his luck it would heighten next time he bit something.

His teeth hurt, he probably wouldn't be able to get through the skin of an animal unless he went mad again, or he cut it open first. He ran his tongue over where he'd chipped his tooth on the gollum before replying to the vampire's insults. He was about to reaffirm that he was a vampire but decided against it. So far his ancestors had forced him into almost attacking soldiers, biting a diamond gollum and sneaking in to drain an innocent woman's blood; he did not want to make them any stronger or angrier. He couldn't even say that it didn't matter what he was, that would be an insult to them.

Vivian sighed and hung his head. He gave up trying to think of a comeback. If he said what he was he might be captured but if he lied he would be abused by voices in his head. It wasn't much of a choice, he would have to remain silent. He tried for being friendly. 'I'm sorry if I scared your girlfriend,' he said while giving a stiff, aristocratic bow. He didn't even think that it might give them some clue as to who he was. For all he knew, everyone bowed to their equals or betters like that.

'I'm sorry Miss. I did not mean to frighten you.' He kept his eyes on the male, it seemed to him the male would be more likely to rip him apart than help him. Vivian wasn't used to being around many people so he could be wrong.

Follow if you want to survive. If you seek death then go ahead and stay behind. Whatever you choose, I care not.

Vivian's eyes widened as he thought of the Connloathian guards and the people he had drained. The guards would know it was him if they saw the woman; they would be hot on his trail by now. He stood rigid with fear as the pair left. The thought of being near the man scared him but so did being near the guards from before. He doubted he would even be able to climb into a tree to hide or fly away, especially with the sun rising. He watched the pair leaving, unable to decide.