Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In need of pest control (Mdu ^^)

Started by Anonymous, May 01, 2008, 05:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The little twig of berries was as heavy to Tien as a sack of bricks to a human. She could carry twice her own weight when her wings felt up to it, but unfortunately, Tien didn't weight much. Perhaps she could have changed form to carry them, but that seemed like overkill. Her green wings beat the air at twice their usual speed to maintain normal height as her burden attempted to drag her down, and her tiny face screwed up with effort as she ploughed on, darting over and under branches as she went. She was repeating a daily ritual, and the insects in her path got out of her way as she approached. Determination etched into her features as a shaft of sunlight illuminated the tiny, fluttering figure zooming resolutely onwards, the occasional leaf stirred as she passed. In the distance, the gentle rush of a stream could be heard, echoing a little around the trees. When the sound reached Tien's ears, she made an effort to gain a little more speed and altitude. She was nearly there.

Heaving a deep breath, she ducked under a particularly thick beech branch, and as her arms began to really complain, she dragged the berries higher and struggled towards the water. When she felt she couldn't hold on anymore, she allowed a burst of bright white to flare from her arms, trying to strengthen them. Instantly, they felt stronger, but in a complete magical miscalculation, her wings suddenly became useless. Before the Sedora had time to shout, she dropped berry-first into the stream.

For several moments, dragonflies skimmed curiously along the surface and then backed away to the quiet puddles in the rocky banks. A wet head broke the surface a few feet from where Tien had gone under, her mouth wide as she gasped for air. The largest of the insects zigzagged out again, passing close to the girl. Still choking on the water, she grabbed onto his tail and held on as he dragged her through the stream to the bank. Her other hand was still clamped to the berries, and she flopped onto a little rock, her soaked wings twitching as they tried to dry themselves. Shaking her head vigorously, she vaguely patted the dragonfly's narrow body and managed to get her feet under her. The water spirit must have been mad at her. Or maybe it was the air spirit?

"I'm really sorry," Tien panted, hefting the twig of berries up. "Please accept this offering from your humble servant." She made to kick the twig into the stream, then stopped and reconsidered her words. "And please don't dry to drown me again, okay?"

The twig landed in the water with a small splash, and Tien grabbed one of her wings, trying to wring out the water. That had been worse than the rain, and she really hated being rained on. Before she'd managed to squeeze the drops out of a single wing, however, the dragonflies were on the move again, flitting around her anxiously. Perplexed, she looked in the direction they were heading from. A slight tremor shook the ground, as it always seemed to when something larger than a mouse was coming. Intrigued, Tien hopped along the rocks, craning her head to see over the opposite bank.

Anonymous

Vivian heard the sound of twigs cracking, there was an animal coming. Animals had blood, that meant food. It was still light so he had to be careful. Any skin exposed would burn horribly if he moved out of the shade.

He dropped from the tree he was sleeping in and moved quietly towards the sound. The animal was fairly large, a boar perhaps, and it was coming towards the nearby river. If he could just find a nice set of bushes to hide behind he may finally get some food. His stomach growled loudly so he hugged it. The thought of food was making him dizzy.

The animal was a deer, deer could hurt if they kicked you.

You coward, you ran away from humans and now you cower at a deer.
He felt ashamed of himself, vampires (and Aswang) were not meant to be cowards. He had no knife so he had to be careful. He snuck up behind the deer and grabbed its torso. It kicked hard and he panicked, dodging a hoof to the groin. It tried to scramble away but he still had hold of it. He needed this food, even if he got hurt in the process. It dragged him, bucking and twisting, trying to get him of. He grabbed its neck and pulled himself up closer, almost on top of the animal. Finally he took a deep breath and lunged his teeth into its flesh.

Hot warm blood ran down his throat, reviving gluttonous instincts. He sucked at the neck as the deer finally gave up struggling and lay still. He pulled its body closer, feeling the warmth of its dying body as he gorged himself. When he finished he licked his arms and face then lay back down. He pulled his cloak over his face and smiled.

Anonymous

When her area of vision failed to reach the top of the opposite bank, Tien's wings immediately started fluttering at a ridiculous pace. It raised her about a foot off the ground, but they were still damp, making steering awkward. She continued to hang in the air, waiting for the little bar of sunshine and the breeze she created to disperse the moisture, observing the various refugee insects as they decided to head across the stream. They didn't normally move very far in their droves like this, and as she bobbed around uncertainly, she beckoned a particularly loud wasp over. She couldn't ask what was wrong without shapeshifting, so she settled for looking at the wasp intensely. After a few moments, it began to twitch a leg here and there, darting around her in circles. All she could glean of its movements was that Something was over there; Something that was making the smaller inhabitants nervous. Curiosity began to boil over, and Tien slightly recklessly considered herself dry enough to go and investigate.

Green wings thrummed through the air as she fought to gain height and get past the water in one relatively dry piece. It only took a few moments, but she could feel the drag of the air trying to tug her off-course. As she reached the other bank, she let herself onto land again, scrambling up the side with an uncanny, insectile speed. Straightening up at the top, she brushed the odd drop of water from her leaves and started forward, easily trailing the path of the fleeing flying things. It wasn't long before she found the cause of the commotion, and for a few heartbeats, the Sedora stood and stared at it, stunned. When her senses came back, she darted under the nearest bush and shivered. It had nothing to do with being cold or wet.

Tien tended to chase hunters out of her patch. They weren't part of her food chain, after all, and where men hunted, men would cut down trees and anger elemental spirits, and they tended to take out their frustration on Sedora who weren't doing their job. But more than that, it infuriated her that they killed for no reason. They could eat what she ate! But no, they had to have her animals, and her trees, and sometimes they just wanted fur. Much as she found the odd passerby interesting, she knew better than to let them start using her forest as a buffet table. Sure, she wasn't the most intimidating figure the forest had to hold, but she had her methods.

Decision made, Tien scuttled out of the bush and took to the air. She started in a wide, sweeping circle, pretty sure that she could go fast enough to prevent the human from seeing her, and then she opened her mouth. Instead of a tinkly fairy voice, an eerie, echoing boom came out, sounding echoey and directionless.

"Get oooouuuuut," she intoned, trying to copy the voices of a couple of short humans who'd told her something called a Ghost Story. "The spirits of the forest are aaaangrrryyyy! Leave nooow, or prepare to meet your dooom!"

It was very impressive, if she did say so herself, even if she was getting slightly dizzy from all the circling.

"This is your last waaarnii- woah!" Mid-word, the voice changed, to a rather more ordinary - if admittedly slightly tinkly - tone of voice. "Woah, woah, flight failure, goin' down, out of the way!"

A combination of dizziness, speed and slightly wonky wings dragged Tien into a plummet, spinning her figure around and around before she began to tumble. Everything passed by in an incredible blur, and before she could register which direction she was nosediving in, her shoulder struck a branch. She bounced off, hit the following branch, and was unceremoniously tossed down from twig to branch, leaves floating down in her wake. The collisions stopped briefly during another plummet, and the Sedora hit the ground. Being fairly sturdier than she seemed, she managed not to die, but she was pretty sure that she shouldn't be seeing stars in the daytime.

"Unn," she muttered, blinking heavily and trying to sit up.

Anonymous

He slept peacefully in the warm afternoon shade. He hadn't slept properly in weeks. His whole escape had been beginning to look foolish. Perhaps he could stay here, living off the land. His mother would ever find him here, he would never be beaten or tortured for being different. He may even be able to find a firend. he had never had a friedn before.

Vivian opened his eyes wearily, one of his hands was in a sunny bit and it was blisterring. he pulled his hand into his cloak moved toward a bush of some type. He curled up again with the intent to go to sleep when he heard a large threatening voice.

Get oooouuuuut.
The spirits of the forest are aaaangrrryyyy! Leave nooow, or prepare to meet your dooom!

He cowered under the bush. He did not understand, he hadn't done anything wrong. In his groggy state he thought it might have been the voices in his head, but they never never cared about other spirits. They always wanted him to kill, drink and attack humans. Perhaps it was some type of ghost, maybe it even was a spirit of the forest. He burried his head in his cloak to try and protect himself. During the day there was  nnnothing he could even do to leave the forest. He would burn as soon as the light touched him and he couldn't even fly.

This is your last waaarnii- woah
Woah, woah, flight failure, goin' down, out of the way!

He lifted his head at the sound of something falling. he scurried over to it and saw a tiny pixie (he couldn't tell the difference). He gantly picked it up and cupped it in his hands.

'Are you okay,' he asked, his gaunt face full of concern. He looked down to the stream, there was too much light to go near it so he sat back and licked his finger then wiped the sprite's. The poor little thing must have fallen from about a metre. he insected it a little closer. he had never seen a sprite before, only read about them in a book.

Anonymous

The whole world was whirling, apparently for reasons of its own. Before Tien's brain had stopped spinning, everything tilted again and she felt herself being lifted up. Bewildered, she shook her head vigorously in an attempt to clear her vision. There seemed to a soft wall surrounding her; she put her hands against it and stared at the nearest part in bafflement. It looked like... a finger. A big one. A human one. AAHH! It's got me! Her wings twitched and fluttered in alarm, and she hurriedly tried to get her feet under her. She was, admittedly, too small for a human to want to eat (unless they had a very strange diet), but she was just small enough to get squished for trying to scare them.

'Are you okay?'

Tien paused in her scrambling, peering owlishly up at the face above her. Of all the things she was expecting to hear, that hadn't even been near the top of the list. A moment later, a big, wet fingertip dragged across her skin, and she pulled a face like somebody sucking on a lemon. Sticking her tongue out, she grimaced upwards, the expression fleeing when she saw the human was even closer than before. She considered her options. She could shapeshift into a bird and run for it (metaphorically speaking), or she could turn into a wild boar and try and gore him - but the latter was too violent for the Sedora, and her innate sense of curiosity forbade running away until it was absolutely necessary.

"I'm okay," she volunteered, getting a firm hold on the human's - man's? - fingers and levering herself upright. Her wings rearranged themselves, nervously. "But why did you ask? You ate a deer. You killed it! One of MY deer! Nobody's supposed to do that. I was supposed to scare you away so you didn't eat any more. So why did you ask if I'm okay?"

Anonymous

Vivian shifted slightly, 'I had to kill it, I needed to eat. I can only drink blurd.' He felt rather ashamed, 'I don't like it any more than you do. I- I can taste their panic as they die.'

He gave her a shy smile, 'I probably should have killed you but I didn't. I don't like killing, besides I thought you might be hurt.'

His face went slack slightly and the voices in his head began yelling at him.
You lowly vampire, you are not worthy of the name Aswang You're Mother should have dried you up long ago.
He shook his head and looked back at the sprite.

Anonymous

'I don't like it any more than you do. I- I can taste their panic as they die.'

Every muscle in all of five inches of Tien's body froze solid. Miniscule goosebumps raised all over her skin, but she was too horrified to try and rub them away. Her vocabulary wouldn't win any prizes at the best of times, but just now there wasn't a single word - or a long string of words - that came close to expressing how she felt. She could only stare.

'I probably should have killed you but I didn't. I don't like killing, besides I thought you might be hurt.'

The reminder of the fall spurred Tien's body back into action. Her wings flexed, experimentally, and a moment later they beat the air as she took off, taking care to hover in the same spot in front of the man's face. The episode of sickened pity was all but forgotten as she scrutinised the gaunt face taking up the horizon in front of her.

"I'm Tien," she announced, rather abruptly. "I only eat nuts and berries and things, that's all Sedora really eat, seeing as we take care of everything, and this place is my patch, but I've decided you can pass through as long as you don't eat too much." He wasn't a human, so food chain rules didn't apply to him. Killing other creatures to stay alive was abhorrent, but asking him not to eat - or scaring off potential meals - would kill him. That was abhorrent, too.

"What are you?" The question seemed disconnected to her previous outburst; she tended to say whatever passed through her mind the moment it did so. "How'd you get here? You got really far in without me knowing, that's impressive. Where are you going to?"

Anonymous

'I am an Aswang. We are a proud breed of vampires. We need blurd to survive and most of us can taste people's emotions, thoughts and sometimes memories. My mother used to use it to see if I was lying to her. I don't know if I can because I've never frank a person's blurd.'

He smiled at the girl, 'Thank you for your offer. I don't know where I'm gong but I just got out of Connloath. The big city there,' he frowned in thought, (which made his drawn features look grotesque and sickly). 'I am usually only awake at night, I'm usually hiding during the day.'

His stomache growled and he looked down to his belly, 'I'm sorry. I hadn't eaten in weeks.'
Aswang were meant to eat every two or three days but his mother had only fed him once a week, thus he was able to go a bit longer than most. Still, the lack of blood had been making him very ill. His face twitched slightly a the memories of his mother and Connloath.

Anonymous

Now that she knew he wasn't just a human, it seemed ridiculously obvious. She hovered uncertainly, rapt with attention as he spoke. Okay, he'd just said he should probably have killed her and he did eat her animals, but he was very forthcoming with information. There was no more direct route to Tien's heart than that. When he finished speaking, her face contorted as though she was trying to solve a particularly nasty equation. Abruptly, she turned away, flittering a little higher and further in the opposite direction. Hanging casually in mid-air, she put a hand to her chin anbd considered things. Half a minute later, she returned to her old spot and regarded the Aswang very seriously.

"I'll take you through my forest," she announced, sticking her chin out stubbornly. "I know the shortest way. Woods are no places for vampires, and everybody will be really annoyed if I let you stay and eat things up." By 'everybody', of course, she meant those inhabitants that the Aswang would be tempted to eat. She circled him rapidly, but her eyes were on the trees around her. Tien could tell where she was from the pattern of a bark, or a wasp nest on a certain branch. Coming to a stop in front of him, she looked outward, her mind buzzing with directions and shortcuts.

After a moment, though, her eyes slid sideways to peer at the Aswang again.

"What's a settee?" Most travellers were from villages or hamlets. She couldn't remember hearing about a city. "Do you have a name? Why did you leave if you don't know where you're going?"

Anonymous

'I cannot go to any place for vampires. My mother would find me.'

He shifted into an area with less light. The sun was getting dangerously close to where he was sitting and he was already burnt in too many places.He winced when he bumped his wing. 'A city is a place with thousands of buildings. thousands of people live there and soldiers are always watching,' he too did not know much about cities. All he knew was from books and the little he had gained since escaping his mother's house. 'My name is Vivian.' It was a girl's name but he had no other.

Anonymous

'I cannot go to any place for vampires. My mother would find me.'

Tien frowned. That was a problem, really, because he couldn't stay in her forest. The elemental spirits would have her for dinner if she let that happen, and while she may have been mouthful-sized, she wasn't keen on the idea. She folded her arms and listened attentively as he told her about cities. It was a hard concept to grasp; all those people, all those shelters, all those... what are soul-jers?

It sounded a bit exciting, if dangerous for a five inch creature with more curiosity than ten humans rolled together.

'My name is Vivian.'

Tien wasn't familiar with names in general, and since she had no experience with them, she merely nodded, seriously.

"There's a cave near the stream where you can hide for today," she offered, looking thoughtful again, "but tonight you must start for the eaves. I don't know what's past them, but we'll both be in big trouble if you stay. But I can keep you company as far the edge, and you can tell me more about settees and souljers and how big everything is outside the woods."

Anonymous

From his sitting position he managed a low bow, almost touching the ground, 'thank you for your generosity.'

He glanced at the light that was coming closer. Hopefully the way to the cave didn't invovle getting under the sun too much. 'Soldiers are people who keep order and guard the towns. Unfortunatly, they also hate mages and anything that isn't human.' He waved his hand at his body. Though he normally looked like an undernourished human, right now he looked almost corpselike. Even if he had been well nourished enougfh to look ablsoutely human, he would still need blurd to survive.

He pushed himelf to his feet and moved closer to a tree for cover. There was no use taking any chances.