Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When Wanderlust Proves Fruitless...

Started by Anonymous, September 30, 2008, 09:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

She stepped out from beneath the shadow of two large ash trees, gently touching the bark of one of them as she passed. With the green behind, in front, and under foot, it was very strange indeed to see her there, dressed in beige and light brown. She looked like she would fit in better in the Moraki desert, yet here she stood. She glanced around, almost lazily, before contentedly sitting under the tree that she had touched, placing her quarterstaff across her lap but still in hand, and laying her head against the dense bark.

Anonymous

OOC:

:x Post a freaking reply you guys. I know you're reading my posts.

Lion

This was hardly a place for a psychic to be hanging around, let alone a psychic assassin at that.  Thorn wasn't the type to go to just any place without some type of motive and because he was up here in "No-Magic" Land, it had to be because of some sort of contract.  Albeit his mental gift could hardly be conceived as the magic of archaic books of ancient knowledge, it was elusive in its own right.  Ever since childhood in Hyoite, Thorn was capable of reading the auras of things (people included) and became famous in the ice village as a finder of lost valuables and, on occasion, a child.  Yet this power was all the more of use to him as he matured into the man he was today.  It certainly aided him in finding the targets that other shady figures hired him to eliminate and even more so in identifying if the correct person.

At this moment, Thorn was ashamed to admit to himself that he was lost within these woods.  All he knew was that he was to find a small town located somewhere to the east and obtain the payment of a certain criminal.  Yet the more he wandered it the more and more every tree, root, and branch he passed was the exact same as before.  He scratched at the thin shadow growing on his face for a second as he looked to the sky, paying little heed to his footing as it shoved underneath an upward root.  His body launched forward, losing his balance from the root that impeded him forward and he landed face first upon the ungentle soil.  His flailed at his side, he let the shock of the impact swarm his head and an incessant pounding soon followed.  Slowly, Thorn opened his eyes and saw before him a girl sitting beneath a tree.  "Damn," was all he muttered.

[Sorry, not the best I've ever written.  But I hope it's something you can work off of.]

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

OOC: I've been trying to get online, but I get logged out right after signing in whenever I tried, so I'm on a different computer, yay!  :D

Leena's ears perk up momentarily, hearing steps through the woods behind her. Just another plus of being Elven. Her head turns automatically as the figure lurches forward, face first to the ground. She quickly spots the root he had fallen over and watches him for a reaction.
It was very interesting to watch him, but only because he did nothing; he only lay there. She wonders if his will to survive has faded, if that's what happens within humans over time. Perhaps it had been diluted in humans, that they had become so dependent on others, and new technology, that they expected to remain safe while wandering through unknown woods, woods belonging to nature. Nature of course is the least likely to watch over men, who build themselves up while tearing down her kingdom.
His reaction interrupts her thoughtfulness, and she can't stop herself from letting out an airy laugh. When she does finally stop laughing, it's because she reminds herself how rude she must seem, laughing at his misfortune.
Leena quickly stands, her staff in hand, and takes half a step forward, embarrassment and concern easily masking her former mirth.
"Are you all right, stranger?" she ventures, her soft voice laced with sincere concern. She isn't quite sure if this man was a friend or foe, and so she stays where she is, despite wanting to help him.

Lion

Feeling his head spin, Thorn waited a long minute or two before answering.  When the buzzing and swarming of a thousand brilliant, white-hot needles ceased to be in his skull, he pushed himself up on his knees and unsteadily climbed to his feet.  Claiming support by tree with one hand and bracing the hilt of his short sword beneath his black jacket.  He furrowed his brow and screwed his face in an apprehensive visage.  He looked her over and spoke tentatively, "I'm alive if that's what you mean.  Who are you?  What are you doing out here?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

She knew she would lose concern for this human, but it seemed to happen faster than she anticipated. Her eyes dart to his hands, identifying any weapons she might have to remove from his person later on. She takes a step back from him. "I could ask the same questions of you, stranger, but I doubt we would get anywhere." She flexes her fingers around her staff and answers, "My name is Leena, and I was communing with nature. And now, your own name and purpose, if you don't mind," she finishes gently, noting the uncertainty in his voice.

Lion

"Name's Thorn.  My business is my own," was all he moved to say.  Why should he care that she wanted to know who he was?  As far as he was concerned there was a destination to be reached by sundown and that was all that mattered.  Thorn, however, was tempted to read the aura of this person, who called herself Leena, and see just what she was really doing out here.  His grimace softened until he finally stood up straight and took his hands from his blade.  With genuine curiosity glimmering in his eyes he quirked his head and screwed his visage in a quizzical manner.  "Communing with nature, you say?  What are you, some kind of shaman?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She doesn't want to make him known to the fact that that word, shaman, struck her particularly forcefully. Instead she acts too cool, too calm. "Yes," she answers his first question, then ignores his second one. "You're a brave man, uttering those kinds of words," she pauses, "brave, or foolish." She leans lightly against her staff and tuts lightly in disapproval. "Surely you must be aware of how much trouble that could get you into?" Leena brushes a lock of hair behind her ear, not only giving herself something to do, but simultaneously allowing her most important sense, at the moment, become somewhat heightened.