Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Not Meant To Be Alone (Open) (Mature)?

Started by Anonymous, January 24, 2009, 05:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Melusine was a little dizzy as she came to a stop in the Niahi Woods. Here seemed like as good a place as any to take a break. She sank to the ground, her feet throbbing as though they would never stop. She hurt so much that she was now sucking air in through her teeth.

Deep breath in, deep breath out, she thought. It was hard going anywhere now that Xelus was gone, but she had to, regardless. What if the same hunters that shot him found her? She knew she should find another deer, too, or at least a horse, but it would be difficult. She had raised the orphaned Xelus from a fawn and so by the time he was old enough to be ridden, he had trusted her implicitly.

And now he was gone, all because of some stupid hunters who weren't paying attention to the fact that she had been riding Xelus when they shot him. She didn't know what she was going to do. Eventually, she'd have to leave this cozy spot and go...somewhere. But where was she going to go? The humans had burned her village, so she couldn't go there. That was why she'd been fleeing when the hunters shot Xelus in the first place.

Crawling on her knees, Melusine went over to a nearby bush and picked some red berries from it. The juice stained her face, hands, and teeth as she ate, but she didn't care. She supposed there was very little she cared about anymore. Drinking some water from a skin she'd packed, she wiped her hands on her white tunic and brushed her curly red hair out of her face. She wanted to see where she'd stopped a little more clearly. She was totally unaware that someone else was watching her, too.

Anonymous

Aaron had been having trouble sleeping ever since the bite had happened. When he closed his weary eyes that huge grey furred beast had appeared in his dreams chasing him. Every time he would run away for what seemed like an eternity before he was bitten and then he would wake up with the wound in his left thigh muscle groaning. He would check if he was bleeding but no such thing.
It was already half healed proof that the venom was all over his veins. Hopefully since he was bitten on the last full moon rising he could reach a cure before his current condition escalated further than this. Already the air around him had started to reveal unknown sensations that most he could barely relate towards.

He could hear as the rodents came out from their caves and trees to feed. A bird was singing passionately on a branch a few yards away, its soothing song was really loud and he was looking around for something to put into his ears when something moved within the corner of his eye.
Since the wind was going in opposite direction he had not sensed anything sooner. He hid behind the same tree he had fallen asleep under for all he knew it could be a bandit and he would rather get to La'marri without any risks involved. He dared not show his face to see who or what it was yet so he relied on his other senses as much as he could.

The person was breathing heavily almost like hearing his father after a good work harvesting lumber except it wasn't as rough. A small thump and the crackling of leaves indicated that this person had taken a seat nearby probably to feast on the berries.
Same reason he had come here following the route his parents had used when visiting La'marri for the autumn market. The berry bushes where rustling from being picked and the sound of eating made him dare take a look, after all the person would be busy eating what harm would a peak do.

As he saw the long red hair he immediately cursed himself for believing the worst. The nightmares had probably made him too jumpy for his own good. Never again will I hide from strangers he swore to himself as he came out from his hiding place. He quickly broke the silence that followed as dead vegetation crushed underneath his feet with a greeting "Hello there fellow traveller."

Anonymous

"Hello..." Melusine was still a bit out of breath because her feet hurt so badly. "I'm Melusine. Melusine Muguet." The little elf, who appeared 18 in human years, grinned at Aaron almost oblivious to the fact that her teeth had turned red with berry juice. "Who are you? I need some help. You see, my feet hurt quite badly. I have been running from some humans who shot my friend the deer. I need a place to hide. I used to be able to ride Xelus to get around, but since they've shot him I don't have anything..."

She gulped, but managed to force back the lump in her throat. Managing to stand up, she walked a few more steps before collapsing next to Aaron on the grass.

Anonymous

Aaron was quite confused by the turnabout of this conversation. Her scent didn't help him much either. It was overwhelming his nose and bombarding him with information. She smelled deer but also of pain and confusion.
He had never smelled elf before either and his confusion didn't help at all when Melusine collapsed. He had instinctively reached out for her and missed by a few inches.
The following motion almost sent him stumbling over her. Embarrassed he quickly strode over her and gathered himself.

"My name is Aaron and the ground isn't suitable for a conversation. Let me help you to a more comfortable sitting." He said as he lifted her up with ease and seated her next to one of the great trees surrounding the small clearing. Slowly getting used to her smell he quickly sharpened his ears checking the surrounding area thoroughly before taking a seat next to her. "Are you certain that these humans are still tracking you? They weren't just after the deer?"

Anonymous

"I can't be sure," she said. "You see, the humans burned my village down. That's why I was running from them in the first place." Besides her berry-stained face, hands, and teeth, her tunic was soaked with Xelus' blood. "What am I going to do now? I can't stand for more than five minutes without pain, or walk more than forty-five minutes without pain. I raised Xelus from a fawn, and it would be difficult to get another animal to trust me enough to ride it."

Anonymous

"Someone within the village of La'marri probably have something tame and ride able for sale, it is only a week's march from here." He said as the wind brought the missing piece of the puzzle with it.
The smell of human was feint but it was there, his pulse was steadily rising trough the rooftop and his left ass cheek was on fire as he reached out his hand with the last ounce of mannerism he had left. "We are getting out of here; I shall take the deer's place."
In truth he wasn't intending to let her refuse.

With a defiant snarl he heaved her onto his back like he would do with any log of wood letting her upper body lean down his back. With one arm keeping her steady he darted into the distance as fast as humanly possible.

Just a few strides from where he had started his body started reacting to the sudden movement and added weight. He had to keep this speed up at least for a few hours but the sharp sting in his side told him to slow down.
Heavy breathing could probably be heard for miles as desperation clicked in and he let the mind slide back to the time when he had ran from the werewolf pretending it was still chasing him and he wasn't going to let it catch him again.

His feet moved once more with the threat of death left hanging in the back of his mind. He never noticed the grunts he made while exhaling or that his legs moved on their own even as lactic acid tried to slow them down. All he cared about was moving forward never slowing down.

They had reached a small yet definite clearing when his legs caved into the stain he had put them trough. He fell to his knees, finally released his grip on her waist and let her slide off his shoulder. His throat was sore and his feet were in purgatory but he was still alive. A sentence that he would repeat inside his head as the upper body followed the legs down to the forest floor. Darkness tried closing his eyes but a voice inside his head told him to get up, he looked towards the girl her face and hands still stained in the red berry juice and his eyes widened. <SHE WILL DIE IF YOU DON'T GET UP>.

"Don't worry I just need a few moments to get back on my feet." He whimpered before crawling back into a seated position, silently massaging his legs.

Anonymous

He had scooped Melusine onto his back and begun running before she even had time to react. By the time he had stopped running, she finally had her thoughts together, but she was surprised to feel his legs stop moving and his body collapse.

"Aaron...thank you...but...what in the world did you do that for? I mean...are you all right? If we're both unable to walk, there's no way we can get out of here...." Her breath caught in her throat and she began to sob. "I didn't mean to make you feel as if you had to help me. I was just stating the facts."

The truth was, she would never have survived without him there at this point, but she didn't want to admit that. She thought he had hurt himself, and if he had, then it was because of her.

Anonymous

In truth Aaron felt embarrassed that he had not known his own limits as he lay there sprawled on the his backside. Cold sweat kept pouring down from his exhausted body and he could not feel his legs yet.
He was cursed with this self regenerating body, more or less a blessing at these moments. As she started sobbing he got up in a sitting position.

His brown eyes glinting yellow with the werewolf poison working to repair the damage he had done to himself. "I told you not to worry; I'll get back up on my feet before the hunters catch onto our trail."
He pulled out his small water skin and slaked his thirst. Confused he looked around "Do you know this forest? I can barely keep track on where I'm running. The best would be to head straight for La'marri."

Anonymous

She nodded, wiping her eyes and sniffling once she knew he was going to be okay. "Left," she said. "La'marri is left. If we go fast, we should be able to reach it in five days rather than a week. Do you think we can do it?"

She hoped he thought they could. Melusine could only shudder at what might happen if they didn't. "I hope we can. I really don't like thinking of those hunters. What is it with humans? Why don't they like elves? Just because we're taller and smaller and live longer is no reason to pick on us."

Anonymous

He got up on his feet with a roar, jumping up and down to try them out. "I am afraid I have no answers for that question. You could always go back and ask them." He casually smiled before offering his services as carriage once more "we will go at a slower pace so the damage to my legs get to fully heal, Staying the night somewhere will be ill advice."

He lifted her up on his shoulders so she could see better, giving him directions while he lightly jogged trying his best not to leave to obvious tracks.. If they had dogs to track up stragglers they would find it though so he kept a keen ear to the surrounding sounds often barking at shadows.

Anonymous

She nodded. "We really shouldn't stop anywhere, you're right. If we must stop, we should find something to cover our scent, though. Some kind of spray."

She smiled, although he probably couldn't see it. If she hadn't still been a little frightened, she might have laughed. "I've never actually...well... ridden...on a person before. Thank you. If you hadn't come along when you did..."

Her voice trailed off and she trembled, and that, he might be able to feel. "They might have got me. But they didn't because you came." She leaned her cheek against the back of his neck and breathed deeply for a moment.

(OOC: He's not going to hurt her in his werewolf form, is he?)

Anonymous

He could feel her gratitude but knew he was not worthy of any such thing, he was cursed to transform into a beast during full moon and this beast showed no mercy to its victims. He had prayed for several nights already that if he should ever transform he wanted to control it.

"They might still get to us." He growled as she told more sweet words from his back never forgetting the constant threat that lurked out there somewhere, letting her rest as he strode on, his mind wandering upwards towards the moon.
Slowly accustomed to the sounds of the forest he finally allowed himself to focus on the noises and smells that were human in nature.

Yet all he could fill his nose with was her smell, she was still dirty from the berries and her tunic stained by the blood of her previous ride. If he hadn't been bitten then he would never have met her. He wondered why she hadn't reacted to his most unusual behaviour. Before his trail of thought could continue much further wolf howls pierced the sky.

Quickly deciphering the howls as territorial howls he had to resist the urge to howl back a question, asking to pass trough their territory. A guttural howl was tingling at the back of his throat. He kept it inside not wanting to reveal it to her in fear that she might choose the hunters and pray for mercy rather than ride with him.

Anonymous

"What is it, Aaron?" she asked, noticing his strange behavior for the first time. "Do I smell strange? I know I need a bath after...after what happened. Unfortunately, I'm not sure when our next opportunity to bathe will be."

She knew she should probably feel embarrassed, but she couldn't yet. She only had the good sense about her to feel apologetic.  It hadn't yet hit her that Xelus was gone and that his blood- all she had left of him- was the cause of her strange smell. If she washed off the blood, it meant Xelus was really gone, and that she was really all alone. That meant that, should Aaron leave her, no one would probably help her.

Anonymous

What it was? He wanted to howl at the moon, to chase game with the pack and to. <I am not a wolf!> He yelled into his mind, in truth he didn't know anymore. He was at a lack of words too, how could he possibly explain that he occasionally during full moon light exposure transformed into a mindless two feet tall killing machine.
"Yes you smell." he said silently and left it at that to break the awkward silence.
"No bathing until we know they are not chasing us. We will need a place to sleep and I am not exactly a food vendor." He let the obvious hang in the air.

They had to find food. He barely had enough with him to make the journey alone and now he was lost having this girl lead him towards the city. He could smell and see the markings now as they entered the territory of a wolf pack at about 12 individuals.
They had recently marked the boundaries so he assumed them to be about a half days march from where he stood.

The strange part was that it wasn't him guessing at all. He stopped and leaned down to investigate further. A pack of deer where running from them.
They had hunted them for some time and one deer had a wound in the hind leg. The pack was probably feasting on it now. A corpse like that could feed the pack for days. Could he fight twelve wolves?

No, he could not take them on head on but if they approached during the night and made a fireplace he could probably steal some or they would abandon the corpse, fleeing the smell of human. His mind wandered back to Melusine. His mother and father had always supported the truth.

He would have to tell her if she asked, such a secret always prolonged the inevitable. "We will have to take a slight detour unless you feel what you have to eat will last you for the jurney."

Anonymous

"I ran out," she said apologetically, shaking her head. "I'd been running for almost two days without food before you found me. Not that I noticed. When one is fleeing for their life, they notice very little. But now that I think about it...yes, I have run out." She blushed in embarrassment. If only she'd kept track of her food, she might have saved them some time.

She then realized that although they knew each others' names, they had no idea where each other was from.

"My village used to be somewhere between here and the Tuor Ocean. Where did you come from?" she asked, to pass the time. "And why are you going to La'marri? Obviously, I'm only going because I don't want to be alone, so I followed you."

Anonymous

"Me? I am seeking a cure. La'marri was the closes place from home that has wizards and people that would know how to make the one. My families are lumberjacks, part time farmers, fisherman and we also build ships.
So we practically live in our own little society, at a riverside where a giant river goes into the Tuor Ocean it's at least a week's march from here. I took the same road my uncles used to travel by but now I'm lost." He paused "Or well as lost as any man can be in a forest this big, I'm not entirely useless my parents told me how to navigate the stars and cut wood. Who knows what for; I guess they wanted me to take over the family legacy.
You see it all started when my great grandfather Skadi the great marooned there with his crew about 450 years ago. Instead of gutting each others or dying they started living off the land. A few years later they had a few houses and a ship as great as the one they marooned on. The land was good to them and there was no reason to not settle down. So they did and so their children continued their legacy."

"One day my grandfather's father brought home a woman he had married from the village of La'marri and that full-moon night she transformed into a werewolf, killed him and ran into the woods.
Any sane person would have ran off and moved away after that but they got used to barring the doors during the full moon rising."

He kept a keen ear to her pulse now as he stopped the tale of his family letting the story sink in hoping she wouldn't ask any further as he kept tracking the pack of wolves.

Anonymous

"Oh my..." she whispered. "That's quite a story. I'm afraid I don't have nearly as much to say, and what I do have to say...I can't right now. It may be awhile before I can tell my story," she admitted with a tight throat and sorrow in her eyes. "I just can't find the words right now."

Her ears perked up when she heard him say the word 'cure.' Suddenly, his strange behavior almost made sense.  What cure could he be looking for?

"Are you ill, Aaron? What's wrong with you? Maybe I can help."

Anonymous

There was no escaping it, he had to tell her now or lie. He sucked at lying so there was only one way. "A smart man once said. What can go wrong goes wrong eventually and there is no exception to this story. I was bitten in my left ass cheek a few weeks ago but escaped with my life intact thanks to my father and a giant log of wood.
I left to find a cure as soon as my nursing mother would let me. In truth they wanted me to stay and live it out but I thought id take my chances at finding a cure."

As soon as he had said it he regretted it, she would probably fear him now and rightfully so because werewolves where beasts. Myths and legends proclaimed them as unstoppable demons, killing men whenever they had the chance and gorged in their blood. Only to be put down by wandering noble heroes who were fortunate enough to own silver weapon. "I am starting to doubt the reasons i made to want a cure. Without these powers we would most likely be dead, so maybe a few nights of doing the devils work under the full moon is worth it?"

Anonymous

She nodded. "Maybe, because you decided to help me, it is good for you. But you must promise me that you won't kill me when you turn. That will be all I ask."

Melusine had never actually seen a werewolf before, only heard of them. That was probably why instead of running away, she watched him with an air of fascination. She did turn a little pale, but once he promised he wouldn't hurt her, it would probably go away.

"I'm glad you told me," she said. "I'm sorry I don't have anything half as interesting to say to you. And as long as you don't hurt me, I promise not to leave. I've never actually seen one though, so if I become ill at your turning, please don't hold it against me."

She did have one question, a question that she giggled as she asked. Bitten on the butt cheek? That was amusing.

"Why did he bite you- *giggle*- there, of all places? I thought werewolves went for your heart?"

Anonymous

His face reddened as she asked why it had bitten him there. "I don't know, never got around to ask it but I do have a scar over my left butt cheek to prove it. Maybe because I was running and my father threw a giant wooden log at its face when it sort of lounged at me."
The other question bothered him, how could he promise something like that without being sure. "If I can control myself once I transform, I will not harm you." He had never been good with words but hoped the point had come across.

As the sun stood up they finally reached a wolf's crossings, they had fled the carcass of a deer taking the best bits with them, probably warned by the wind of his coming. I'm afraid its no buffet but it will make do he said as he dropped her down, put a few sticks from nearby trees together.
Although the moist from dusk had made the forest wet he still carried a few pieces of dry timber. He made room for a small fire, took out one dry, lighted it on fire and fuelled it later on with wet logs. He also gathered a few wet ones to stack besides the fire, making, drying them for further use.