Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

This Is Paradise! In Disguise...[Lion!]

Started by Anonymous, April 10, 2009, 12:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

ooc: This thread is the sequel to this one. =)
bic:

As ever the late-riser, Maia gradually eased herself from her peaceful slumber, a yawn announcing her arrival back to the world of consciousness. As she opened her eyes she blinked once and then twice before pushing herself up; as much as she wanted to savor the hours of darkness she could not help but dread the journey to come. With the need to prepare in mind she finally set her bare feet to the cold floor of the bedroom, shivering as she scrambled to pull an extra blanket around her shoulders. Shuffling around the apartment, she put all the things she wanted to bring in a bag before changing into comfortable clothes for the journey. Her methods were careless and haphazard, but she did not mind so much because she was eager to rid herself of the place as soon as possible.

Even so, she remained a bit drowsy and wanting nothing but sleep as she turned to look out the window at the moon that was peaking about the clouds of the night sky. Delighted as she was to be leaving she could not help but feel a bit odd with doing so so suddenly after remaining for such a long time. There were things she felt she might miss from the little place but she also felt that leaving was also going to bring her further happiness as well as safety.

As she finished with her bag she walked down a hallway, through the kitchen and down another hallway before coming to the front door where she set the bag against the door frame. Letting out a soft sigh as she turned to head back to the bedroom, Maia took her time in looking over the things she'd spent so many years around that seemed almost like strangers now because she knew that she would be leaving them for what she hoped would be forever. On her way, though, she stopped at the door to the room where she had spent many nights interrogating and also where she had begun to realize the feelings she had for her lifemate. Smiling to herself, she opened the door and stepped inside quickly before closing it behind her.

From the time of its last use it had not changed, remaining the same cramped space that was a sorry excuse for an actual room. Laughing softly, she went to the middle of the room before sitting down on the floor. She felt nostalgic, being in the room again -had it really been so long since that time? Remembering how it had felt for love to reenter her heart after being away for so long made her happy and it was one of the memories she knew she would treasure for the rest of her life, no matter what happened in the future.

Lion

He'd waited a long time for this; days, weeks, years—hell! His whole life!  Maybe he knew that some day, deep down, he would find his lifemate, the woman he was destined to spend the rest of eternity with, however long that was.  But even as he had given up hope in the past, he didn't realize that he nearly abolished his future.  Kaito was thus only partially grateful for his overzealous and erratic behavior.  Because if he hadn't robbed that one man, he would have never met Maia.  And he shuddered to think what might have been his future if he'd never met her.

He remembered thinking of her often, from the time they rumbled on a rooftop to the moment the rumbled in the sheets.  And he grinned against the moonlight, thinking of the first moment he must have loved her.  He didn't know when it was.  It might have been the moment he saw her, it could have been the moment she pressed her lips to the back of his neck, or even the time she cut a slit in his back.  That last one really hurt but it had been a while since he last met a woman strong enough to willingly attack him.  Kaito's life had been full of violence, from toil in the streets to the ring, and he wouldn't have been surprised.  But girls never fought guys in the Underground; not that they couldn't have handled themselves but it was just something that he'd never seen done.

Kaito leaped from rooftop to rooftop after sunset and collecting the remains of his fortune.  He snatched a bag from a local sweetmeats shop and used it to put his money in from the several hiding spots he had around the city.  When he was sure he'd gotten everything, lest someone else found the coins, he headed off to Maia's apartment.  He didn't have anything of value to take with them when it was time to leave, so he didn't mind taking anything less than the clothes on his back.

He reached the roof of the familiar, stalwart building and swung down to her window below.  Seeing that it was slightly open, he grasped the ledge and shone himself inside.  But as he looked around the bedroom, no one was there.  "Huh," he said quietly and wandered throughout the apartment, trying to trace where she might be.  It was stunningly silent, a type of peace he didn't want to break by saying her name even if it meant finding her.  Instead, he traveled from room to room until he stumbled upon a familiar hole in the wall.  Seeing the door was slightly ajar, he nudged it open with his shoulder and entered, spotting her figure strewn across the floor.  He looked down at her and smiled, "Back on the ground, eh?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

The room was peaceful tonight, something that would have once been normal, but it was strange to her now after spending so much time with Kaito. She wondered what he was off doing, if he would be back soon and when they might be leaving. She found herself imagining what his cabin might be like, if it was anything near to what her own apartment was like. Her thoughts were interrupted, though, as she sensed a new presence nearby, but she was grateful that it carried the familiarity of her lifemate.

The urge to rise and greet him was strong but she knew it was always more fun to make him work so instead she remained quiet and in her place. Once she heard the door open behind her, though, she dropped the effort she'd been putting up and immediately turned to look at him. Giggling, she stretched out her arms as she leaned to lie on her back. "It isn't such a bad place, you know," she said with a yawn. Looking up at him afforded her the sight of the bag he was carrying and she jumped to her feet to rush to him. "Hm? After all you paid that man you still have that much?!" Maia's eyes widened to accommodate her amazement as she poked at the bag full of coins. "You'll get robbed carrying something like that around...but if you won it you can defend it, right?" she teased, giving him a quick hug before walking past him.

"This is a nice place, but I'm sure I'll like yours even more," she insisted as she turned to face him again. "And speaking of which...when will we be leaving?"

Lion

Kaito grinned in amusement.  With a nod he said, "You're right.  It sure brings back memories."  He watched her as she scrambled to her feet and rushed to him.  He greeted her with a wider smile and raised both eyebrows as she widened her eyes in amazement at the bag he held around his shoulder, sagging with coin.  He nodded and defended it a little as she poked it.  "As you know, my dear, I had quite an illustrious career in my day and I can still throw a good one, two jab if you need me to."

A laugh escaped his throat and he continued, "This is for both of us.  This money's ours and we can do what we want.  It's enough to last the rest of our existence.  Or anything else we might need."

He embraced her in response and watched her go past him.  He shifted slightly, readjusted the bag on his shoulder and said, "It's been a while since I've been there.  For all I know, there's nothing but dust and cobwebs but nothing of too much value for things to be missing.  I know you'll love it.  The last time I went there, it was in the winter and the water down by the stream shone beautifully in the midnight moon."  Kaito, as if he hadn't seen her in years, leaned down and kissed her softly on the cheek, letting his own flesh linger there for a moment so that he might savor it forever.  "We can leave as soon as possible.  I've got all I wanted to bring.  We can even leave now if you like."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Kaito's description caught her attention, for she had not been out into the forests in such a long while that she'd nearly forgotten how beautiful the natural sights were. It excited her that she would have such beauty to look forward to and it got her wondering about what else might be there. "It does sound lovely, Kaito...how lucky am I, hm?" she said cheerfully, her smile brightening. Receiving a kiss was pleasant, if unexpected, and Maia leaned closer towards him as he spoke to her. With an energetic nod she pulled back a bit so she could see his face properly. "I would be more than happy to leave now...the sooner the better!"

With no heed towards saying her final goodbyes to her home of decades, Maia quickly turned and headed to the front door. She snatched her bag from the floor and ran out the door and down the stairs, careless in her happiness, and she did not stop until she was out on the street in front of her building. Looking up at the cloudless sky made her feel as if she were invincible tonight -even though her condition rendered her far from it-, so much that she felt that even the smell about the city and the feel of the breeze gave off a positive air. Switching her bag to her other hand, she took in a deep breath before running off towards the true outer edge of Ketra where she knew the buildings met towering trees. She did not pay enough attention to where exactly she was going, though, not really caring if she was going in the right direction or not so glad was she to have the freedom to even run about the streets like she was.

Lion

He nodded and said, "Alright.  Let's go then."  With a smile they set off down the stairs and out onto the streets.  The darkness was beautiful about them, and he was almost tempted to tear off into the night without another word of direction.  But unlike other evenings in their haphazard journey together, they finally had a destination.  A place they could set off together and be away from the troubles of their old world.  Thus far they'd been plagued by needless violence, terror, weakness, and, to an extent, slavery.  But now they were free, they were finally free.

Kaito watched with somber amusement as Maia ran out onto the street like a little kid with her candy.  A laugh escaped his throat and he followed suit.  After readjusting the bag, he stumbled from sidewalk to road and back again before calling out to her, "Be careful, Maia.  You could hurt yourself.  I don't think that's any way for a pregnant woman to behave.  And plus you're running in the wrong direction.  We're supposed to be going south, not north!"  He pointed with his left and paused, waiting for her to follow him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Too caught up in her own fantasy, Maia didn't realize how dangerous it might be to be running around recklessly like she was. When Kaito pointed it out to her, though, she laughed as she slowed and then turned to follow after him. "It's great to be out tonight! Like it was made for us, huh?" Her smile beamed with absolute glee as she rushed to catch up to him. "I really should be more careful, don't want daddy to worry," she teased, nudging him gently with her arm before surging forward again in her determination to be the first to the forest no matter if she was really going where she was supposed to.

After a few more blocks of sprinting, though, Maia's body began to punish her for running like she was while pregnant. She slowed her pace but the queasy feeling did not subside so she, unwillingly, dropped down to a walk. "It's not fair...the one night I want to run so much, too," she muttered with open disappointment in her tone. Switching her bag back to her other hand, she began to swing it around in harsh, sporadic motions to make up for the desire she held for speed.

"I guess I didn't make it too far, huh? Walk with me?" she asked with a laugh. "And tell me more about this place of yours, if there's anything to tell, or anything interesting about it. I'm sure there's a ghost or two hanging around, right?"

Lion

"When you're right, you're right," Kaito said, trying to keep up with her.  "We belong in the shadows, don't we."  He was tempted to run after her, perhaps in an effort to keep her form falling over and hurting herself, but he knew that if she could run, she could catch herself if need be.  He laughed at her comment and merely followed her out in the opposite direction.

As she began to sprint, he too followed suit, keeping up with her leg for foot.  He held the bag tightly onto his shoulder, carefully so that the bags wouldn't fall out but loose enough so that he had room move his arms in a running motion.  He slowed when she did, knowing that her body wasn't currently designed to be doing such strenuous activities.  "You should watch it.  You're in no condition to be running a marathon."

Walking alongside her, Kaito began to elaborate on the finer details of the cabin.  It was a two-story squat and hidden in dense inlet that was difficult to navigate if one didn't know their way already.  He reflected on the stream and the animals indigenous to the area, most of which were harmless and ate only the plant life.  "But I don't think there are any ghosts.  Unless you want one, then maybe I'll do a little soul searching."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Maia diligently listened to him, giving her full attention as she stopped swinging her bag around. Nodding along as she heard the details, she cracked a smile and laughed at the suggestion of finding a ghost for her. "It's good to know that there will be enough room for us and our baby but you don't have to do that, I'm content with having a calm lifestyle after all of this," she said while looking up at the night sky. To herself, though, she had to admit that, while as eager as she was, there was also a bit of nervousness along with that joyful feeling about living so freely after being among cities for so long, and she found herself wondering how this new life might differ from the past.

Just knowing that she wouldn't have to go running around for someone else anymore, to be able to do whatever she wanted whenever she wanted, was quite invigorating and, if she had not felt symptoms of her pregnancy already, she knew she would have jumped to the rooftops or danced about the street in her bliss. For now, though, she had to settle with walking alongside Kaito, something she surely would never find herself complaining about. Gently, she reached up and grasped his arm as she moved a bit closer to him. "Did I ever tell you how fortunate I am to have you with me?" she asked, smiling up at him. "I'm sure any other who saw us now might be jealous of our love and fortune in circumstance; surely it must be every Carpathian lady's dream to hide away with her lifemate, hm?" She giggled as she thought about it.

"We're some of the luckiest of our kind, I'm sure of it," she said, a contented sigh topping off her good mood.

ooc: *hands you a cookie* Thanks for being patient, I really did take too long for this.

Lion

Kaito was grateful for her presence beside him and was content to walk along with her.  Of all the time in his life, he was alone; sometimes he would frequent a local brothel to curb his overwhelming loneliness.  He hadn't lied to Maia when he said he wasn't the lusty type, but it would be an extreme hyperbole to state that he didn't fool around a little bit.  Thank the night mother that that was decades ago, at least ninety years, and something he would like to forget.  Of course, for the sake of decency, he wouldn't tell her a thing about it unless she brought it up first.

But now that burden of loneliness was relieved and he could rest for the time being as he walked along side her.  It was moments like this that he lived for, especially now that he finally had a reason that differed from the greed that drove him in his early years.  Back then he was young, foolish, a rapacious imbecile that acted on whatever whim he wished.  He was older now, more mature.  A true Carpathian male that had responsibilities to account for.  He now had things to lose, and with that, the duty to protect them, both Maia and their child.

Kaito held onto her arm snuggly, both in support and the appreciate of her presence.  He tilted his head a bit surprised at her first question, a little taken aback.  With a smile threatening at the edge of his lips, he said, "Of course, but I never get tired of hearing it.  And those bastards?  Let them be jealous.  They can rot in this godsforsaken city for all I care.  So long as I have you, I'm happy."  He kissed her temple and nudged her to the side playfully. "But I don't know much about that dream.  If I were a woman, I'd probably want that baby out as soon as possible."

[*cheers* Yay!]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Maia laughed as she listened to him respond, the action genuine as she found herself easily amused by his boldness. "The same goes for you, you know. So long as we're together I would be the happiest woman in the world," she replied, voice gentle as she coiled her arm around his while he tightened his grip. What he had said, though, got her thinking about their coming child again as she bumped him back while a playful grin worked its way to her lips.

For all her mother had drilled into her head about raising a baby she could not recall any instance where she had been informed of what a regular gestation period was. Something Maia really should have worried about, this child being her first, but at the moment her mind was occupied with seemingly more important thoughts. "Well, it's not that bad right now but the little thing can't stay there forever," she said with a laugh, looking down at her stomach for a bit before angling her head to look up at him again. "And I've never heard of any major complications before with a Carpathian woman so I suppose I can look forward to an easy birth too, unless of course you've heard any stories?" she asked, sincerely hoping that Carpathian mothers had it easier when it came to childbirth.

"Well, I guess it doesn't matter either way since we'll find out soon enough...but on to funner stuff!" she exclaimed enthusiastically. "What would be your dream baby, hm? Want to raise a little fighter for yourself?" she asked, her eyes dancing with amusement.

Lion

Kaito quirked his head curiously at her, grinning.  "You're the only other Carpathian woman I've met in my life that wasn't my sister.  I don't know anything about babies could possibly be of any use.  All I can say is that they cry a lot and need lots of love and attention.  Which, as I'm sure you know, I'm completely prepared to give."  And that was something a hardened person like him was looking forward too.  The moment where he could finally cradle their child in his arm.  He would no doubt want to spoil the baby rotten...  Not that he'd ever tell Maia that...  He'd rather she see for herself.

"This baby's going to be one lucky non-vamp, you know.  Two parents that are going to love the hell outta that kid should be the basis of every good family.  At least it was in my home.  I don't remember my own parents to well since they were killed while I still very little but, nonetheless, I'm sure I'll love the kid as much as I was loved..."  Kaito was somber for a moment, taking the time to gaze at the ground while they strode.  They reached the borders of the city now, the true walls where they could dash away into the dusk of the forest.  Somehow reaching the darkness made everything complete, as if the time for them to be gone away from their old weary world had finally arrived.  And that was enough to bring his eyes back to her.

"I don't care what the child is.  I know I'll love it no matter what.  If it's a boy, I don't want him to be a goddamn fool like me.  I want him to be a gentleman and grow up like one, manners and all.  And if it's a girl and she wants to fight.  Well, that's different.  I'd want her to be a fighter—like her mother..."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Maia smiled, her mind at ease as she listened to him speak. A light laugh escaped her lips and she shook her head as her smile grew to a full-out grin. "That's all you've been talking about since you found out, I'm sure you're going to give more than your share of love... At least we know there will be one good parent, I'm a bit nervous about it to tell you the truth," she admitted. "It will be nice to be away from the city, though, at least that will be time where our child will not have to know of the lives led in such a place." On a pleasanter note, she tried to picture in her mind how Kaito might look holding a squirming baby in its little blankets and she snickered, the image being more amusing than adorable to her.

"Oh, I would not want them to be like me...I got myself into a fair amount of trouble before I ended up in Ketra. It think would be quite nice, though, to have a boy. Not to say I would not love a girl just as much, but a little boy would be nice to raise if he resembles his father even just a little," she said, teasingly poking at his side. "That way he'd find his own partner so quickly with all the ladies gathering around him." Maia laughed, loving how much fun it was to tease and play. She quieted down for a moment, noticing the change in the atmosphere as they went further and further away from the core of the city. It was somehow pleasant seeing the trees so near now, the forest almost inviting them to be among its life.

A change in scenery would be nice, just being away from the pressures of her previous life would be enough for her to relax and enjoy herself. "Is there anything you're going to miss?" she asked after a few moments of silence, tilting her head to look up at him.

Lion

The forest was far more inviting than he'd remembered.  It must have been years since he was last here, wandering, training, learning...living.  There were multiple reasons burrowed deep beneath the surface of conscious thought that contributed to the desire to leave Ketra.  Sure, he no longer had a place in the city, having lost a horrible final battle (with the money of course) but there really was nothing for him here anymore.  He had the fun he wanted, did the things that mattered in life and, better yet, met his lifemate here.  All in all, if he were to die this very moment, his spirit would be content to rest.  Now was the time to move on, the time to start on another journey.  For life was not a single journey of a thousand miles but miles and miles of a thousand journeys.

The forest had always been a place of solace for him, a sanctuary that could offer him mental and spiritual healing in times when he needed it.  Though he'd lived in the city for so long, he was sure he hadn't lost that wild touch to him.  But times change and maybe he'd only be able to chop wood, instead of climb trees, swim but not dive...  Well, that was a matter to be solved when they got to their destination.

He considered her question for a moment longer, wondering if there really was anything that he'd miss.  In his time here, Ketra had been good to him.  Sure, he got his ass kicked here and there at the start of his career, but he could measure the bad as far as he could throw a rock.  And he could throw pretty damn far!  He'd gambled, taken his chances, found the woman he'd would spend the rest of his existence with, and was ready to depart.  But there was one aspect that he wouldn't be able to do from the safety of his cabin in the woods.  "Only one thing," he said.  "I'd miss looking out at the rooftops in the starlight.  Ketra had it's bad side, but the city was exceptionally beautiful during that time."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

As he pondered her question Maia took the time to think of it herself; what would she really miss after all? Of course she immediately threw out any possibility of Ottah and the various business partners of his that she had ever had to deal with, but for the briefest moment she did dwell on the simple fact of his kindness to her in the early years of work for him. The greed he had shown in the end, though, covered up any pleasant memories that might have been worth thinking on, and she felt she would surely never be grateful enough towards her lifemate to ever make up for what he had done for her. A few simple things did come to mind, though, things that she felt might be missed but probably not cause any significant heartache over, such as the accessibility of everything she had ever needed being within the familiar buildings of the city. Even as she went through this brief process of thinking, though, she felt that homesickness would never truly plague her so long as her life was spent with Kaito and their child to come.

"Ah, yeah," she said, her tone easy and light as she thought about his answer. "I guess that would be something to miss, but if its beauty is ever missed -at least by me- I think it might be a while. I'm content with having somewhere new to go home to now, even if it's the smallest of shacks." Maia smiled as she finished talking and slipped her arm from his as she picked up a swift jog, wanting to try running again. "I don't think I will ever get used to this, though," she whispered of her sudden incapability of full-out sprinting like she wanted to do, knowing that her condition was the only factor keeping her from doing so.

Cautiously she moved along the path they were on, hoping that he would not let her go off in a direction that would lead her astray from their goal, but a sudden thought came to mind and she turned her head to look at him. "Kaito? Are we going to have any neighbors?" she asked, curiosity brimming as unspoken, yet probably unnecessary, questions filled her mind.

Lion

Kaito laughed a little when he heard her statement.  "Little shack?  My place is far from tiny.  Not to imply that it's a huge mansion or anything but it's of substantial size that you'll have plenty of room to jump off of walls if you'd like."  He grinned down on her and left the memories of the city out of his turbulent mind.  Because, in truth, that was where they really belonged.  They didn't have a place in a head that was more occupied with pondering the future as opposed to worrying about the complexities of the past.  He was going somewhere now, whereas before he was going no where.  Stagnancy had played a major role in changing his destiny but now he would be the one holding the reins.

"Huh?  Neighbors?"  He increased his walking pace in order to keep up with her as she tried another attempt at running.  It was a decent jog and not one that he saw would damage her or the child in any way.  If she pushed it too hard, he'd carry her the rest of the way if he had to.  "Not too many, I don't think.  It's been quite a while since I been there that anyone might have moved next door.  The last time I went there was nothing but the nature that surrounded the cabin.  Animals and such.  It's quiet and serene.  That's what I like most about it.  And I hope that you will too."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She was quite pleased with what she heard, not that she did not want others around but more that she wanted the place to themselves. Except for business reasons she had not had to be around all that many people for years unless she so chose to put herself in the situation, which she had always preferred not to. Now that she had some sense of purpose for her life Maia was more than eager to allow a pleasant future to play out, which made her naive in a sense due to the fact that she did not care how she reached her goals but only that she managed to meet them.

In the past she had been quite a shy thing, after her parents had been taken from her, and due to her uncultured ways and completely useless, bias perception of the world her life had taken a steep downward trend that led her through various encounters that had left her a scarred woman, both physically and emotionally. Now she was older, better-informed and quite free from the man that had shown both kindness and cruelty in her time under him. She hated that man for nearly everything he had ever done or made her do, but at the same time she was eternally grateful for other, rare instances that occurred throughout their lengthy relationship.

Now was her time, she felt. In a place where she might spread her wings just that much more and learn from her mistakes; she wanted to grow and mature and knew that this was her chance to take in everything she could. "I like the quiet, I'm sure it will be perfect for us," she answered with a warm smile, turning to look his way before pushing herself to move just a little faster, testing the limits of her abilities at present in a fairly enjoyable fashion.

As she kept going along she felt something change in the atmosphere. It was somehow...quiet. She could clearly hear her footfalls and she looked over her shoulder for a moment at the lights that marked the nightlife of Ketra. Smiling for a brief moment, she urged herself onward at an even faster pace as she reveled in this realization. "I love it already," she whispered, then said in a more audible, if excited tone, "When we get there you must give me the grand tour! I've lived in that one place for so long that I know anything would be better."

Lion

By walking, reaching Kaito's cabin would take a few days as it was a few miles deep into the forest.  But running was a different question and, if one knew the paths like he did, they could reach it a matter of hours.  For a moment, he thanked whatever divine spirit was out there that he was a Carpathian and could take such physical punishment.  The cabin was well hidden away from the rest of the forest and people looking for it would take it as nothing more than another density that needed to be cut through.

It would be a solace for them and Kaito was glad he thought of the place when he did.  It would give Maia and him a place to finally be away from all the troubles of the past.  For her, it would be from her cruel master, whom, he suspected must have been something like a father to her in the past and for him, his waywardness.  He was no longer in a position where he could worry only about himself and, though those days were simplistic, he didn't miss them.  He just wanted to get as far away from Maia's old taskmaster as possible and if he deigned to send a troop after them, they would have a hell of a time finding them.

Kaito smiled to Maia and nodded, tightening the strap on his shoulder until the bag was secure on his torso.  He watched her try to run still and with a burst of spontaneity he dashed forward and subsequently picked her up into his arms as he ran further into the woods, leaving the city behind them.  "It really ain't nothin' more than a damp little squat.  I don't know how much you could really like the forest or nature but I suppose anything's better than your old apartment after spending years working for that monster.  What was his name again...O'hara?  Eh, I don't care anymore than I can spit on him."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

All she had were mental pictures of what she thought their new home would look like but otherwise she would be clueless until they arrived. At the moment, though, she was content with imagining whatever she might imagine as she kept going along. For a time she was not worried about how she might be affecting herself by barreling towards her limits in her current condition, only that running was going to get her to their destination faster. This piece of oblivion obviously earned at least some concern from Kaito but she was utterly surprised when she felt herself lifted easily from the path as he kept moving along.

She knew that in such a sudden, quick moment she had probably had a million expressions upon her face, but as she settled into his arms and looked up at him she decided on frustration as her first response. "Kaito...I was perfectly fine, you know!" However, her attitude changed just as quickly and she found herself smiling and laughing. "But thank you, it's very nice right here." Maia patted at his shoulder gently as she looked around him to the road already traveled. She was thrilled to find that even she had to strain to see any of the lights from the city and looked up at her lifemate with a sort of child-like excitement gleaming in her eyes while an equally cheesy grin spread across her lips for a moment, looking as if she might say something but then allowing her expression to fade away.

She was enjoying herself, content to lie in his arms as they went along, but she was also a bit concerned that he was carrying such weight in such a concentrated area. "Kaito? Are you sure this is all right? I can run, you don't have to carrying everything and me just...I don't want to overwhelm you, okay?" Her voice grew concerned as she looked up at him, hoping that if he still insisted upon carrying her that they would at least get their soon. Looking at him, though, did bring a warm expression to the surface and she reached a hand up to stroke his jawline with her index finger, hoping it might incite a verbal confirmation of any decision on his part though she took great pleasure just in simple gestures such as that which she had done.

Lion

Kaito ignored her initial objection to being carried.  He responded only with a sarcastic laugh and sardonic grin.  It really didn't matter to him that she wanted to run, at least not right now.  And the fact that she objected was...well, he found that rather endearing and cute.  He liked to see her when she was angry.  He didn't lift her so unexpectedly to keep her from her hurting herself while she ran, rather he did it because he wanted to carry her and he knew she would never agree to it if he asked.  So, better not to ask and do so out of sheer will rather than permission.  In a sense, such a gesture was kind of a metaphor for their love, how it just picked up without thinking.

Whatever the case, Kaito merely grinned as he ran, breathing through his nose and trying to keep from jostling her too much.  He readjusted his grip on her legs and her back and pressed onward.  The night was beautiful for a run and chances were that, if he was capable of keeping up his current pace, they could make it to his place before the night was out.  Stars studded the sky and soon only they were visible beyond the skyline.  Ketra was in their wake and Kaito jumped with glee within that he would no longer have to return to that prison of city walls.

When he finally decided that he would speak, he merely nodded as he said, "Of course, I'm alright.  Are you kidding?  I was built to carry things that weigh twice your weight, stuff included.  I might as well trade in my Carpathian title and wear a name tag that says 'Pack Mule'.  I think I'd make a pretty good one, too.  Though I don't think I'd like the kid to look like a mule..."  He trailed off in his words and peered down at her for a moment as she stroked his face.  "Besides I like carrying you.  Sure beats the hell outta carryin' a sack of rocks on my pack."  He adjusted his arm and lifted her to his face, kissing her with passion before turning his attention back on the path.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn