Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pale Light of Silver Moon [Zaali, open?]

Started by Anonymous, April 19, 2009, 08:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It was a few minutes shy of supper time, and the streets were emptying as the town's inhabitants filed back toward their homes, many of them carrying food fresh from the market. Of course, supper probably wasn't the only reason most people wanted off the streets; it would be nightfall soon, and Zantaric had a rather dubious reputation when it came to the 'safety' it provided certain demographics. Not that Mister Black was terribly concerned about that sort of thing, which was why he didn't particularly mind showing up so close to nightfall.

A dark portal popped into existance in the middle of the road, inky black smoke seeping out and spreading a few feet in every direction as Black stepped through. He was dressed in his usual outfit: a black gentleman's pea coat, black long sleeved shirt, black slacks, black leather dress shoes, and of course, his black top hat. He planted the black laquered walking stick firmly on the ground at his feet after he'd stepped clear of the portal, resting his hands on the silver pommel as his traveling companion exited after him. For those individuals who didn't brand Black's arrival as all that out of the ordinary, they certainly classified his 'companion' in a different category altogether. It was an oak endtable with a black and silver phonograph attached to it, and the images on the sides of the phonograph were a mosaic of human suffering and chaos...a leftover from Black's 'circus' days. And while he was certainly a good deal less psychotic, that didn't mean he was going to get rid of Mortimer, who emerged from his home soon after the table had walked, yes walked its way out of the portal.

A few bats fluttered out of the horn of the phonograph before two skeletal arms (literally) reached out from the opening, bony hands grasping the rim of the horn, and Mortimer the skeleton pulled himself out of the phonograph. Well, his upper body anyway. He never fully left his home. Somehow he emerged with a black porkpie hat resting comfortably atop his skull, and he pulled a pair of reading glasses and a tattered looking journal out from the phonograph next, placing the glasses on his head (how they stayed there was a mystery, and why he needed them was another) and thumbing through the pages while mumbling something under his breath. Black meanwhile, turned and caused the portal to vanish as quickly as it had appeared with little more than a mumbled incantation.

"Well, we're in Zantaric alright. Don't get what you see in the place, but hey, you're the one with the bigger hat," Mortimer said, the skeleton's voice sounding strained and low pitched, like it took a concerted effort to speak. Which it probably did, since his vocal chords had never existed in the first place. "So what now? Not like you run the circus anymore..."

Anonymous

Despite the fact that Zaali wasn't really that much of a fighter, she never really worried about being out late. She just managed to radiate enough annoyance and irritation to really be worth the effort. She was pretty enough with her dark skin, rich brown hair and pretty features, but swirling black tattoos crept out over her face, distracting from her good looks. And she looked absolutely broke.

Damn her sister. Her and her fucking drinking habits. She should get leave her. All she did was whine about this all being Zaali's fault. Little brat should try living with an abusive husband for a few years. See how well she handled things.

That was weird. There was some black thing. Zaali hung back a bit, not liking the look of that. Some very weird things could happen here, some not nice things. Her large brown eyes got bigger as more and more weird things appeared out of the portal.

She gave a small gasp at the sight of the skeleton, scrambling back when it spoke, hip bumping against a barrel and knocking it over. Necromancy! That wasn't good! Glancing around, Zaali tried to find a way to slink away. She could always teleport if she needed too, but she liked to keep that as a nice ace up her sleeve.

Anonymous

If Black noticed the girl, he didn't show it. Mortimer on the other hand, slowly turned his head toward the commotion and tipped his hat at the woman before returning his attention to the tattered, leather-bound journal he held in his bony hands. "So? What now? There's an old temple outside town, but not much else. Nothing worth noting, that is," Mortimer announced before closing the journal and dropping it back into the phonograph horn, followed shortly thereafter by his reading glasses. To be honest, Black wasn't quite certain what to do first, though the sound of his stomach growling solved that dilemma for him. Had he been in the ordinary world the entire time, he would have died of starvation several times over, however all the time spent in realms outside of time meant it was only closer to about 14 hours without food of some sort.

"...hm, finding a nice meal seems to be as good an idea as any, I'm much too busy to die of hunger," Black announced, and only then did he take notice of the girl trying to find some way to slip away unnoticed. "Oh for heaven's sake, does this have to happen everywhere we go?" he complained, eying Mortimer suspiciously before continuing, "I just can't take you anywhere, can I?" If Mortimer had eyes, he would have rolled them.

Of course, even while having this discussion, Black was busy preparing a means of contacting the woman before she could run off. As she continued backing away from the scene, she'd eventually bump into someone. Upon further investigation, it would be a second Mister Black. This one with his pea coat shut tight, despite lacking any visible buttons to speak of. "Pardon me, but could I trouble you for a moment? New in town and all that, and I've been without a meal for some time. Would you be so kind as to host my companion and I for the evening? You'd be amply reimbursed for your kindness, of course, I don't expect anyone to do such favors for free."

Anonymous

Finding herself backing into someone had Zaali whirling around, startled and angry that someone had come up behind her. When she saw it was the twin of the tall, creepy guy, her dark skin paled a little. That was fucked up.

She moved away from him, turning to try and keep an eye on both of them, "Who the fuck are you?" While the man looked like someone it wasn't a good idea to piss off, Zaali was grumpy and scared. And being scared just made her angry.

Though the question gave her pause. Money was always needed. She frowned, chewing on her lower lip. She was not going down any dark alleyways with this dude. Granted, he looked like he could make anywhere a dark alley.

".....You just want me to take you to get some food and get you a place to sleep?" There was no way that she was letting them stay at her place. But she could find them an alright place, "How much you talking about paying me?"