Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Morning Light (Gold)

Started by Anonymous, August 11, 2009, 01:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The fiery, almost white sun had finally peaked the distant hills and was climbing its way up the sky. Up, high in the sky, light gray clouds lazily stumbled, as a light breeze shook the trees, the grass, and cooled the people of Reahj as they all worked their way to a specific place or person. A lone leaf was knocked from its perch at the top of an olden oak tree and began to saunter vaguely downwards.

Though it fell in no particular pattern, it seemed it was closing in on one particular human who was wearing all white. The figure was strolling leisurely towards . . . a flight of stairs. The leaf was naught three meters above when the young man brought a hand above his head and with two fingers, caught the single leaf, without even looking. It was something he did a lot of, after all, he did have control over the wind.

Ealius Maverikko sighed as he let go of the leaf and headed up the castle stairs. He was heading to his secret spot, the one that no one knew of. It was his place to relax and unwind. A place where he could watch the rising sun or day-dream or try to sketch a picture though his drawings were mediocre at best. It was something he had tried after he had found out he had a photographic memory, but it was obvious that even though he could remember everything down to the last detail, his pictures were not so good.

He opened a door and closed it quitely behind him then continued to walk till he reached a part of the palace only guards walked, and not very often, in fact, they often left it open for him because they knew it was his place. As he leaned against a wall, he happily watched the beautiful sunrise.

"Another day . . . " Eal sighed.

Goldie

(ooc: Woot woot! Should be lots of fun!)

Eirene's life has been turned upside-down in a few scant minutes after arriving at the palace.  She had fled for her life from Serendipity, found her way back to her home land, and turned herself in for the potential of having magic. Life, however, tended to have a different agenda than even the smallest human could ever foresee or understand. Instead of losing her life that day, she became part of Connlaoth's military force...a Mordecai.  Never in a million years would she have believed that the most desired ability would be gifted to her....

Her...a scrawny sixteen year old girl who would never grow taller than her current four feet and ten inches...who's weight barely surpassed 90 pounds after a large meal...how could she possibly be of any use to Connlaoth? With her heart condition any strenuous activity threatened death, any large surprise or unexpected turn of events could lead her to that light that threatened to consume her eat time her heart chose to fail yet again.

In fact...she had the worst scare in her life the moment she was told that her abilities were not magic and she would not be killed. She hadn't lasted more than a minute after that news before fading away into oblivion for the next few days. Now, at least, she was being looked-after by the greatest doctors in the kingdom...and they had been able to minimize the effects of her disease, but it did not cure her...it would merely prolong her life long enough that maybe, just maybe, they could find a cure.

What would her brothers say if they knew where she was today; physically and figuratively? Tobrecan would be livid...he had strived all of his life to force himself into becoming a Mordecai...knowing that his young, sickly sister was granted the gift above him...well...she didn't want to think about it.  Of course, she was bound to run into him sometime soon...he was a soldier after all and lived at the palace.

Teague...her eldest brother...he had disappeared years ago to travel the world. His musical talents were too much to keep him in Reajh, and he felt that the prejudice against magic users shouldn't extend to sharing music. If they could appreciate it, he would play. This, of course, had sent Tobre into a rage which was the cause for Teague's sudden disappearance, leaving only a note to Eirene to explain his decision. Perhaps one day she'd see him again...he'd probably write a ballad or something about her "journey"....

Having finally escaped the infirmary, Eirene found herself merely wandering about the castle grounds, finding the view of the ramparts more enjoyable than standing around in a dull castle waiting for orders and lessons to increase her capacity as a mordecai.  She was horribly untrained, and needed to increase her powers and become aware of them. If not, she was really no better than a normal sickly girl.

Before she realized where her feet were leading her, she found herself in an almost deserted part of the walkway. Almost, because the guards were gone, but instead there stood a boy dressed in white leaning against the wall gazing off into the distance. She hadn't been here very long, but she could definitely tell by his appearance that he was more than a normal boy...he was of noble birth....

Perhaps she shouldn't disturb him...

Even though she was a mordecai now, she still felt the restraints of her class. She was no noble, she was a merchant's daughter...

Turning quickly, she tried to make a swift retreat.

This failed miserably as she tripped on a loose stone and stumbled into the wall, making a scene as she tried to catch herself on the wall but only managing to fall heavily on her rear.

"Ahhh...." she mumbled, cheeks burning in embarrassment. Using the wall she pulled herself back to her feet, brushing dust from her knee-length skirt and refusing to make eye contact with the boy.

"So sorry..." she murmured again, "I'll...I'll just be going."

Anonymous

A nice morning. That was what it was. Or at least what it felt like. Yes . . . It felt like it was going to be a good day. Ealius smiled. A good day, for once. He had been kind of unhappy with how he felt every day, but he felt different today. Eal felt as if today was the day, something was going to happen for the good, something different. He sighed and continued to watch the sun rise higher, the sky turning from indigo to light blue. It was a beautiful sight, a sunrise that he had probably not seen so pretty for over half of his life.

Ealius watched as the sun grew even higher before he finally looked away, the light starting to burn his eyes. It was time to go back to his studies wasn't it? He really hated such school work. He never needed to use any effort on them, especially since they were on governing the land, how to fight a war, stuff like that. He sighed again, as he pushed himself away from the wall and turned in the direction he wanted to go, a look of exasperation on his face as he combed his wavy brown hair with his hands and headed off.

Not as many as a dozen steps took place before Eal opened his eyes and watched a girl trip and fall. She then climbed to her feet quickly and dusted herself off before blushing and apologizing. Ealius had taken a step foward when she had fallen, but now, he stopped and cocked his head slightly. He had seen her around before. She was a . . . he couldn't quite remember.

"So sorry...I'll...I'll just be going."

He didn't waste a second to answer, this could be the different thing that was going to happen to him! The girl seemed nice enough.

"No, wait! It's all right, no harm done to me," Ealius said, a warm smile on his lips, he could tell she was embarrassed. "I wish I could same the same to you, Miss . . . ?"

Goldie

ooc: feel free to pester me for posts if you feel like I'm taking too long!!!

ic:

She didn't know what to do...part of her wanted to run screaming in the other direction, but she couldn't deny a request from a noble...even if she wasn't entirely sure who he was...he was clearly very important. Especially given her new status as Mordecai shouldn't she become well acquainted with everyone in the palace? It would probably be a good thing to know who to trust, who to avoid completely....

And he didn't seem that scary, really. He was at least kind enough not to laugh at her blunder. She hadn't exactly been graceful....

Ultimately, she was just glad that whatever medication the doctors had prescribed had kept most of the worst heart-attacks at bay. Before this, she would have certainly succumbed to a fit the moment her heart began to race due to her embarrassment. It was nice to be able to act like a normal sixteen year old girl, if she could be described as normal...

"Ah...um...ok...." she muttered, arms clasped firmly in front of her, cheeks still flushed from her blunder. What must he think of her? Probably wondering how she managed to survive if she couldn't even walk normally...Ha! As if walking had ever been her biggest concern...She had always worried about her condition over any other minor balance issue.

"Eirene," she finished when his sentence trailed off, assuming that he wanted her name. Eventually, she was sure, people would begin to recognize her for her station. She was glad that today was not one of those days. It would be horribly uncomfortable to be known to people she had never met....

"You must think I'm horribly clumsy." she added after a moment of silence. "You looked so peaceful...standing at the wall...I didn't wish to disturb you yet here I am..." realizing, probably too late, that he might expect her to curtsy or something, she dipped quickly. "I am sorry for disturbing your thoughts. I'm new to the palace...I've only been here for a few weeks at most...and most of the time I'm in training and I haven't been able to get away until now..." Ugh! Here she was rambling on! What must he think of her!? Some uncivilized country bumpkin at best! This was NOT how she had envisioned her first meeting with a noble to be! They'd kick her out, or call the army to shoot her behind the palace for being so impolite and...just....ugh!

"I'm sorry...I'm rambling....Er....I can't bring to mind your name...?"

Anonymous

(ooc: Its fine! Take your time!)

It was completely normal. Completely normal, different, a nice different. It was nice different to have someone . . . well . . . normal to talk to. She seemed nice. Obviously nervous to talk to him, who she had rightfully determined as a noble, he couldn't help but let off a small sigh. Why was it so hard to talk to people? He put his hand to his face and rubbed it quickly before he got a good look at the girl.

And she was beautiful. Well, in her own unique way. She seemed a bit thin almost looked as if she was sick, but he was strangely attracted to that. He seemed to have the strangest taste. Not that she was strange, just different.

It was the first time his heart beat a bit faster. He actually felt a bit nervous talking to someone around the castle. Usually he was the cool and calm one, the one that could talk to anyone as if he had known them all his life even if he hadn't. He gathered his thoughts, trying not to think to hard about what had just happened. His mind was in pandemonium. On one side, he really wanted to just . . . hug her or something because he had failed to have human contact for quite a while, on the other, he was afraid the girl standing there in front of him might not like him or was someone he could never have. It was when she blushed when he really fell for her. It was truly a sight he had never seen before.

Eirene. It was a pretty name. Not too common either . . . Ealius smiled brightly before he decided on a reply to her . . . statement. "Ah, no, actually, I think you are absolutely dream – er – fine, yes, fine." He paused and put his hand to his face again. "And no! You weren't disturbing me at the least!" He stopped when Eirene did a quick curtsy. He sighed again, removing his hand from his eyes. "No need for formalities, it's not like I was going to have you hanged or anything, It is nice to talk to someone . . . normal . . . well, not . . . someone stiff and stuff."

He looked at the rising sun and gave a half-smile. "Oh, no! You're not rambling, it was nice to hear someone talk normally, well, almost, in front of me." He turned his gaze back to Eirene. "My name is Ealius, Prince of Connlaoth."

Goldie

Her blood ran cold in her veins when he introduced himself. All color drained from her already pallid complexion and her bright amber eyes grew the size of melons. Never, in her entire life, had she been so mortified. It was too much, just...way too much for her first noble to date would be...oh Gods, he was the prince! And she hadn't recognized him...and addressed him in such an unflattering manner!

Breathe, Eirene she scolded herself silently. If he were the least bit angry with her, he would not still be standing on the wall talking. Ealius...she meant Prince Ealius...seemed to be much more down-to-earth than she had expected of him. Either way, it didn't change the fact that she was being terribly impolite and embarrassing herself in the most absurd manners. She had fallen before him...right on her backside...

In. Front. Of. The. Prince.

She wanted to curl into a ball and die. Well...not really...she had thought she was going to die only weeks before and would rather much like to stay alive, thank you very kindly. But this would stay with her a lot longer than if she had been killed before.

Ah...the irony of it all. Her life was spared only so she could mortify herself before the Prince....

Which would have been better? At this point she wasn't sure.

"The....the....prince?" she stuttered, unconsciously taking a small step back. She had never been told what to do before royalty! When she had met the Matron she hadn't really been in any condition for formalities...but not.... UGH! What was she going to do!? There was nothing she could do! The damage was done, she would be dismissed and sent back to their small home where she'd wait alone for Teague and Tobre to come back, or write, or something. THAT would be worse than any embarrassment!

Unfortunately, before she could even attempt to rectify the situation, she felt her chest contract sharply, pain shooting up and down her left arm which she clutched, knees buckling. Without thinking, she supported herself on the closest solid object:

Ealius.

The spasm passed quickly enough, but it was the first attack she had had for a few weeks. Finding out that this noble was more than a noble had caused her so much inner distress she even the new treatments and medication had not been enough to keep her condition at bay. At least it was short, and she was only light headed momentarily before able to straighten and realize she had just used the prince as a handrail.

"Ah...I'm so sorry!" she breathed, taking a quick step back, "I...ah...I have an illness...I guess a weak heart." she chuckled nervously, "It's been better since I got here...but it still flairs up sometimes. I'm so sorry...I should have grabbed the wall..." She flexed her fingers, warding off the tingling sensation that remained from the small heart attack. "They're trying to cure me...I'm a new Mordecai..." she smiled sheepishly at him, her own understanding that she was worse than useless as a mordecai because of her condition showing clearly on her face. "Of course, I can't do anything unless I touch you...I haven't really got a handle on projecting the ability outward...like the real ones...So....Here I am, Eirene the invalid Mordecai."

Anonymous

He said too much. Ealius sighed. He really had said too much this time. Eirene looked like she was going to faint, because from the moment he uttered the word prince, her pale complextion had gotten whiter. He did not think that was possible. But what else, he thought he heard her stop breathing. Alarmed, he took a step forward, intent on checking whether she was still alive or not. He could not have someone die because he had told them he was a prince. First of all, because that was just plain stupid. Second, he would feel extremely bad. Third, he would get into a hell of a lot of troule.

When Eirene fell forward and grabbed onto him to steady herself, Eal was afraid that she really was going to die for a second. But when she finally steadied herself, she looked slightly better, but still . . . nervous was it? He could not tell, he was bit surprised after all. He dusted off his clothes and returned his gaze to Eirene, looking her over carefully.

"Are you okay?" Genuine concern laced his voice. "If you are going to fall over, it might be better if you were closer to the ground so it would not hurt as much."

He had said those exact words at the same moment Eirene had said her first words. But he still heard most of what she said. She thought she was useless, a broken toy was a way to put it. For a moment his face showed signs of disgust. Not because she had touched him or anything like that. It was because she had no self-confidence. But it disappeared quickly but the frown stayed.

"You're new are you?" Ealius nodded his head slightly at that thought. "Well, you may think you are useless, broken, but you ARE NOT invalid." He paused. "No, you are a human just as any other, and all humans and other species have their weakness. It's true that you have more then others, but that just gives you more to fight for!" He gazed into the sunrise and sighed. "It is your strengths and weaknesses that make you, you."

He returned his gaze, with a certain determination. "You are who you are, you are your own person, defined by both your weaknesses and strengths!"

(Ooc: Lol, I thought I had replied here, sorry for the long wait! If it was long to you . . .)

Goldie

Eirene took another step back, amber eyes widening in surprise as Ealius practically blew up at her. She had never thought someone would consider her small-minded for feeling like an invalid. Nor had she expected such an explosive response to her attempt at a joke - if you could really call it such. She herself didn't believe she could do the same tasks expected of normal Connlaothians, and her entire family believed it as well.

After all, her own mother had died giving birth to her...the heart Eirene inherited would eventually give out just like that and she would be nothing more than food for the worms. How could she even begin to expect to fulfill the duties of a mordecai if she could barely keep standing upon learning that the person before her was a prince. More intimidating and shocking events were bound to arise and what then? She would simply keel over and die on the spot, leaving her partners abandoned....

And if she ever had to fight?

What would happen then? She'd whip out her tiny sword to fit her tiny frame and have a heart attack the moment she broke a sweat!

At the same time, however, she felt oddly...thankful for Ealius's response. No one before had considered her equal...she was always the sick one, the girl with the heart disease. Always told to sit on the sidelines. Wait it out. Don't stress yourself. No no, don't get up.

It was frustrating....

"Thank you, Ealius." she murmured, looking down where her hands were clasped together, thumbs twiddling nervously. "I'm sorry if I upset you...I just...I've never been treated like a person. My brothers would never let me so much as sit outside on a hot day. Always saw me for my illness. I guess I didn't realize how much I started to see myself like they did...."

It was true too. How often can you hear something about you before you actually start to believe it's true? But now, how could she possibly believe her brothers when they both disappeared on her and went off to leave her alone with a father who looked at his daughter and saw his late wife?

With a deep breath she looked defiantly up into the sky, "I'll try to remember that I'm me" she declared, before blushing deeply as a soft chuckle escaped her lips which she stifled with the back of her hand.

"Anyways...yes, I'm new." She blushed again, rosy spots appearing on her porcelain complexion, "I honestly thought I had magic....I came here expecting to get locked up or executed...and instead...well, here I am!"

Anonymous

Ealius had to smile. The look on Eirene's face. He had not meant to be so forceful in what he said. But it was the truth. HE had grown up, and met kids that believed because they couldn't do something that their parents didn't want them. There were many sad stories. Parents killing their own child because they possessed magic, or abandoning them, or something like that. Eal knew that this was different by far, but it reminded him of those stories and what he himself saw.

He had once felt useless, being the talented genius that he was. He felt that he could not fight, that he was useless. Eal had felt that everything was about fighting and that it was the only way to solve things. Then he met another boy. The boy had been far more mature then him and calmly explained to him that life was difficult, that there would be many challenges ahead, and many people to tell you that you weren't good enough.

"Your welcome, though I must say, what I am saying, it is true, no matter what, believe in yourself, even if you already believe that you are lost, that you are useless, work to NOT be useless, work to be someone!" Eal said. "There are far more flaws in any person then there are perfections, I do not believe that there are ANY perfections at all!"

"Yes, you do that." Ealius said, before cracking a big smile. "Well now, that is a bit of trouble there, isn't it, thinking that you had magic and you wanted to be caught." He paused. "But try to survive instead of giving up. It is easy to die, much, much harder to live."

Goldie

Her face darkened slightly at his last words. It was so easy for someone to say those words...the easy choice is death the hard life. She knew this better than anyone, and yet this boy, this prince spouted it off like poetry. For the first time in a while she felt disgruntled at him. Yes, he had been right about not giving up on herself...it was a lesson she would struggle to learn but know she must.

"I know that." she murmured at his words, good humor deflating like a balloon filled with hot air that was let out in a woosh. There would be no flying for her this day, or perhaps anytime in the near future. "Believe me, I know better than most."

But what do you know? she thought silently, unable to keep the vicious words from floating to the surface, but she would never voice them, they would never be spoken. You, who lived in the palace under the protection of everyone, given everything you could ever desire.

She banished these thoughts the moment they arose. It was not fair to blame Ealius for something over which he had no control. After all, one could not choose to which life they were born. Eirene herself was unsure if she would have changed her past. After all, wouldn't that mean her illness would be bestowed upon another? Equilibrium had to be upheld and her life and trials were part of that equality. The more the thoughts persisted, the less she believed she would wish her lot on anyone else. Not that she was the only one strong enough to endure it, but it had shaped her into the person who stood upon the battlements this very morning.  And Ealius, too -with his royal blood and fine clothing- would shape her destiny, her future. She only need follow the path that lay before her.

"My mother had the same illness." she told him, unable to stop the verbal vomit that began spewing from her lips. "A poor disposition, the doctors said, no chance of survival. Yet, she lived long enough to have two boys and a girl who breathed her first breath while her own mother breathed her last. She was strong, Ealius, very strong...but sometimes strength isn't enough to win a battle. My brothers managed to bypass the illness, but with her dying breath my mother bestowed it upon me. I've struggled very long, very hard, and I intend to keep trying, but sometimes even the mind can't win when the body fails. This is something with which I've come to terms." She turned from her and rested her head on her arms on the wall. Amber eyes swept across the landscape outside of the castle walls as she took everything in. She had come so close to death only a few weeks before hand...the Mordecai trainers saw it as resolve and praised her for her courage at seeking death over magic.

She thought it was merely folly. Life should be more important, but there you have it....Connlaoth had its flaws just like any other society. And now, as an elite member of the military, she needed to adapt that mind-set or get out.

"So...even though I hear your words, and do not think I seek pity for my position," she added quickly to avoid any misunderstandings, "There are many things that I cannot do, even if I willed myself a strong mountain. Right now, I should be down in the practice yards learning how to incapacitate a man with a blade, or a gun, or even with my bare hands. I should be learning how to use what strength I have to bring down someone ten times larger than myself. I should be practicing stretching out with my shield and strengthening it. But I can't. Physically, Ealius. Physically these practices are too much, even with medication. I have only an hour or so a day to learn these skills because of my physical limitations. I can't will that away."

Turning, she gazed up at him leveling, eyes reflecting nothing more than blatant truth. She was not looking for pity, she was not sad or angry, simply...accepting. It was how she lived.

Anonymous

"Yes that may be true, that you know that better then anyone in this entire castle would, but I understand." Ealius smiled. "I understand how hard it is for you and I to live in this world, more you then I, but I also have pains and regrets, and the need to believe that I am worthy." He looked up at the blue sky. It truly was very beautiful. "While you may think that I am a bastard, spoiled half to death, prince, you are very wrong."

Ealius's eyes pierced through the light. "I am completely different from other noblility." He smiled, now, and cocking his head slightly while he did so. "You think it is easy? To live as a prince? To face the threat of maybe being assassinated? To having to live here and watch other people that were once your friends die for you? Is it really that easy for me to keep on living?"

Ealius spread his arms like wings. "Did you think that I never fought for my life? That I never believed that I was going to die but survived? What about the difficult path to live instead of die?" His mood darkened slightly. "While you believe your choice to live on is hard, I HAVE no choice but to live on!" He closed his eyes, an expression of pain on them. He was the exact opposite. Death was hard for him.

"Have I never had the thought to just die and not waste all those other people?" Ealius squeezed his eye shut, a lone tear fell from his eyes. "Never accept anything for the way they are, everything can be changed, even your sickness." Ealius looked into the distance again. "Do not take this for pity, it is not, it is the simple truth, and I for one, do not want you to lead a life of just accepting things for what they are."

Goldie

Eirene listened to Ealius speak and contemplated the difference between their two worlds. She wanted to be able to understand where he came from, but just couldn't wrap her mind around the horrible idea of being a prince. Sure, losing friends was no walk in the park, but even normal people had that problem. Ealius would never want anything, while the regular citizens had to fight for everything...for family, friends, home, food....

But she would certainly try.

After all, he probably had no idea what it felt like to be a normal human being either. What she could not understand in him, he probably had the same feelings towards her. After all, he was no Mordecai...and he was no Mordecai with a heart condition that kept him from doing anything.

But she would try to at least try to understand his position rather than judge.

And then it hit her.

She couldn't help it, but a giggle just bubbled out of her lips. Perhaps it might seem a little rude, especially after Ealius's story about having a hard time being royal, but she just couldn't help it. The realization about how down in the dirt this conversation was just made her break down into uncontrolled laughter.

"I'm....so....sorry...." she gasped out, grasping her side where a cramp was beginning. "It's just..." she took a deep breath and brushed away some tears. "Well, here we are bemoaning our lives as if that's the only thing that matters. Let's start again."

She cleared her throat.

"Hello, I'm Eirene." she offered her hand to shake.

Anonymous

She didn't understand. No one ever did. It saddened him a bit. But he was used to it. His world was not as far away from hers or anyone 'below' him as they thought. He almost heaved a sigh before he remembered that she was still there. His life by itself, was not hard, no, but what he thought of, what he was going for, what he wanted, what he . . . needed, was by far, harder to get then anything anyone else had to go for, or most of everyone else.

In reality, he had much experience with a normal life. He didn't get to go out much for long periods of time, so he snuck out, having people still pretend he was still in the castle. He had worked in resturants to pay rent, he had done dirty jobs, whatever. Eal remembered all the times that he went out to try to be someone nomral, not with the title prince. He was, always, someone out too far above everyone else, and he hated it.

Then he knew, maybe Eirene could be his way to see the world a bit, to see what it might hold for him. Not that he was going to use her or anything, just if she wanted to help.

Suddenly he head a noise. Laughter. He picked out his mind from the sea of thoughts to see Eirene laughing. He was a bit confused, but it brought out a smile. "Yes, that would be quite funny now wouldn't it?" He laughed lightly.

"Why hello there, beautiful!" He grinned. "The name's Ealius, it is a pleasure to meet you!"