Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Road to Adventure

Started by Anonymous, August 16, 2009, 08:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Kaylin was certainly interested in hearing what Takuma had to say. "Eight years? Wow..." She marveled over how much dedication that took. "You must've enjoyed it. When I was eight, the only thing I thought about was playing with frogs and terrorizing my brothers," She said before wondering if she could ever have that much focus to study one thing for so long.

At hearing mention of Adela her ears perked up even more is possible. Distant places she'd only hear in stories, were now something she could go and see. The thought of it caused butterflies in her stomach. Their sudden flutter caused her to not ask questions about it right away. Soon Takuma asked his own question. She tapped her chin in thought with her finger. "You know, I've never really thought about it before. Being a bard would take a lot more practice. I don't know any instrument yet, but..." she paused to come up with more reasons it couldn't happen. A smile came to her lips as she thought about how much she really did enjoy them. "...I really do love them. It's part of the reason I was thinking of being a pirate."

That's right, the first job she thought about was being a pirate. Not the pillaging kind, but the idea of going to distant lands and learning about them seemed to intrigue her a great deal. Kaylin let out a laugh of genuine happiness. It was the loudest outburst she'd made the past few hours, but in a good way. Her mirthful eyes went to the sky. "My whole life i've only had fluffy dresses, getting married, and noble business to look forward to. Nothing I looked forward to, that's for sure. Now that I'm away from it all, the possibilities are endless. Or will be at least. Never say never, so it just might be what I settle into. Who knows what the future will bring."

When Takuma brought out a hose, Kaylin was taken a back. Though she had ridden in carts, this was really the first time she really saw a horse up close. It was a big, powerful, beautiful animal. She made sure Takuma was in between herself and the majestic creature. Occasionally she'd steal glances at it. Soon they were near the farm. "Sure, no problem," Kaylin said as she took the lead. As they wandered down the path, Kaylin was quiet with looking at the area they walked though. Also, she wanted to be extra careful no one was following them. There were animals grazing in the distance, fields of wheat, and the distinct smell of delicious food cooking. Those smells were either coming from a smoke shed or the modest home they were heading toward off the main road.

She was somewhat surprised to see Martha sitting on the porch, head in her hands, watching them with a smile. Kaylin couldn't help but react with her own. She wanted to quicken her pace to the woman, but didn't want to agitate her bruised side with it. Instead, she raised her good arm in a modest wave. "Ahoy there!!" She shouted, the woman was still a goodly distance away.

Martha cupped her hands to project her own voice. "It took you long enough to come back! Brought friends this time?" She said as she stood up.

"Yes!" Kaylin said as she gestured to the spear man. "He saved my life! Wait til you hear the story!"

"I'm sure we'll here all about it. Come on in after getting the horse situated," Martha said, gesturing to a stable  not terribly far from the house. The woman waved and departed into the house.

Kaylin turned to smile up at Takuma. "Let's get going. She won't let us eat until after this one's taken care of." She lead the way to the stables, secretly hoping there was some time she could freshen up before eating. The more she thought about the food though, the more she thought of letting that dream die. Food was sounding awfully good about now.

((OOc: Feel free to place things where you'd like, and time things how you'd like here. You can RP the Hopkins to if you'd like as well.))

Anonymous

Listening to what she said, he began to get a better picture of Kaylin. Her life she'd left behind her in Connlaoth must have been very suffocating for her if she had always been seeking adventure and excitement. Tugging on the horse, he would lead it towards the stables.

Upon reaching the stables he would place the horse in one of the stalls, making sure it had some food and water for the night and having removed it's tack, before leaving the stables. Heading back towards the house with Kaylin, hoping she figured she'd be the one telling the stories. He hadn't told a story in all his life and wasn't dying to start now.

Almost back to the house, Takuma would feel a rogue breeze brush past him and caused the hairs on the back of his neck to stand on end. He stopped still for a moment, peering deep into the fields of crops and searching for a sign of any movement or life. He would find nothing, but the feeling didn't leave him. Still, he hadn't seen or heard anything. Continuing into the house, he would hold the door open and let Kaylin lead inside, only having caught a glimpse of the elderly woman so far.

((OOC: You can control, I tend to rush too much. >:P ))

Anonymous

Kaylin had stayed at the entrance of the stables while Takuma tended to horse. An area for pigs were there, so she busied herself with them. She had only been into the stable once, and that was to grab something. She liked watching horses from the distance, but being up close was another matter. Kaylin tossed it up to only being around smaller animals really. Didn't explain the reason why she was fine when horses were attached to carts. Before she could ponder it more, Takuma had finished. She lead the way back, mind on how nice it would be to have one last home cooked meal before their long journey.

Salt potatoes, corn, roasted chicken, an assortment of greens, maybe pie for desert, or cake, or her favorite, ice cream. She never noticed Takuma pausing in the breeze. On familiar ground, she unfortunately lost the thought to be cautious still. A great waft of food came just as they stepped inside. "Thank. You," She said aloud. It was originally meant for Takuma for the door, but it could've been to the older pair for the food, or  even Takuma for agreeing to come back. Kaylin stood briefly just taking in the sweet smell. "Man I never realized how hungry I was until now." Tidying up could certainly wait.

"Good timing dears, it's just about finished," Martha said from the direction of the kitchen. Not much longer after, the sturdy woman bustled across the hall with a large pot of something steamy. Her bright eyes fell on the two, taking in Takuma's towering form and spear, and also Kaylin disheveled state. Martha paused at seeing this. "What on earth did you get yourself into?" She said with a motherly frown. As steam was getting in her eyes, she decided to keep it moving toward the dining room, before she left the hall, she started speaking. "Tell us at the table. You don't have to tidy yourself up all the way, yet, but make sure you wash your hands!"

Karl came down the staircase that was opposite the main door. If he was surprised to see a spear man in his house, he never showed it. He did have a somewhat angry look to him. "Greetings," was all he said before making his way toward the dining room table. He also paused before continuing into the other room. "I've set up some rooms for you upstairs."

"Thank you Karl," Kaylin said. Once he was gone, she tilted her head toward Takuma. Her good hand came up to block sound from escaping out the other side. "He gets grumpy when he's hungry. They normally eat a lot earlier." Straightening up, she gave Takuma a smile. "Treat this place as home, or you'll get scolded." Upstairs was the place she preferred to carefully wash her hands. After undoing her braid and giving her hair a quick finger comb, she did just that. There would be plenty of time for Takuma to explore his room, and look around. She did a quick survey of her own room, right next to Takuma's before heading for the stairs. "Meet you down there when you're ready." She was excited to see what foods there were. It seemed to be a wider selection than she thought.

Anonymous

Takuma had been around horses as often as he had dogs, and that's what they were to him. A big dog, capable of every bit of thought and emotion like that of a dog, and could learn to be as loyal as one too. Takuma didn't know if Kaylin had ever rode a horse before, but it might come into play in some point down the road.

He figured he'd ask when they got on the road the next day. He would prefer she be a bit comfortable on horseback should they need to get to or away from somewhere fast. Takuma's hand released the door as he followed Kaylin inside, smelling the food and forming a smile. He listened to the old couple and Kaylin, mostly looking over the house some. Cozy, would be the best word he could use to describe it.

When it was said that rooms had been prepared for them, he would take the time to at least put his spear up in his room and get his hands washed. He placed the spear next to his bed, on the floor and parallel with the bed. He certainly couldn't have the thing with him during dinner, it was mostly useless indoors anyways. Removing his leather armguards he place them on the bed as well, flexing his hands some and enjoying the freedom once again.

Takuma got his hands washed and cleaned before heading back downstairs, wondering how he was going to pay the couple back for their generous hospitality. He could see why Kaylin had stuck around with them for a while.

Anonymous

"This is heaven," Kaylin said, paused at the door way. There was a small feast of food. The dining table was a short rectangular on which could fit 8 people at the most. The food was set up in the middle, a place for each person at each side of the table. Soups, bread, beef, and all that she thought of before. It was all food that could be taken with them, or dried out and taken with them on their journey. Kaylin was too hungry to think that far ahead.

Karl was also paused, but over the steaming food. "It's hot as hell," the aged man said. He looked as if he'd devour the whole serving bowl, but quickly he settled into his seat as Martha walked in. "Go ahead Kaylin, take a seat," the woman said. Kaylin happily obliged. "You too, dear," Martha said to Takuma when he arrived. "Help yourself before Karl eats it all." Everyone could help themselves.

"Thank you for the food, both of you," Kaylin said as she fixed her plate and got settled. "There has to be someway I can repay you for everything."

Martha fixed her with a warm smile only the aged possessed. "You know payment isn't needed. Your tales are enough to entertain us." Her gray eyes turned to Takuma, "My name is Martha. This one over here is Karl," she gestured to Karl who gave his own nod of acknowledgment. There was enough pause for Takuma to introduce himself, but if he didn't want to, there was no pressure. "I'm not sure what happened out there, but thank you for helping Kaylin. How exactly did it all happen?" Her eyes fell back on Kaylin who happily obliged after a few bites of delicious food. She explained what happened, how a strange man approached her and Takuma fought through someone to get within a close enough range of her. The attackers wouldn't give up, so Takuma had to put them out of commission. She explained every sound, movement, and word with excitement. Her voice fluctuated in pitch and tone. Even with the limited room for gestures she had, the story seemed intriguing.

"...and then I realized I forgot my stuff, so we decided to come back," She stated in an exaggerated, dull voice before picking up her fork.

"My goodness," Martha said in awe. "I never knew we had any troublesome people around here. I don't know what would've happened if you hadn't been there, Takuma."

((OOC: btw, you can move things along as you'd like. I figure morning can come about in two posts or so. I tend to take things slow XP Let me know how the pace is so far. I like the postings! Helps me get a better grip on Kay'))

Anonymous

Takuma entered after Kaylin, quietly taking a seat at the table. Looking out over the sundry of foods before him, he didn't know where to start. But Takuma wasn't much of a glutton, once he'd eaten enough to satisfy his appetite he simply couldn't eat anymore. But, before he would pick out a dish to try out first, he would listen to Martha introduce herself and Karl. He would give a bow of his head, replying. "I am Takuma. I cannot thank you enough for allowing me to stay for the night."

Which was true, allowing an armed stranger to stay in their home was trusting, but he supposed that since Kaylin trusted him, that made it easier for them to trust him. Takuma was few on his words however, his plate seemed to have a variety of different foods. It looked like a salad at first with the vegetables he picked out but also some bread and beef along the side.

He ate quietly while listening to Kaylin's account of what had happened. Her voice and her movements made it sound grand and dramatic. Battle was anything but glamorous, but he wouldn't comment on it. His only addition to the story was a small nod at the end to confirm they'd came back for some of her things. When Martha spoke, Takuma would be almost finished with his plate, replying back to her when his mouth didn't have food in it.

"I don't think you'll have to worry about them." He didn't know what would've happened either, they didn't seem to want to out-right kill Kaylin, but there was worse things than death out there. Regardless, she would be safe as long as he was around.

Anonymous

Kaylin's plate had barely been touched, but she was making quick work of it now. She glanced at Martha, who nodded her head in agreement with Takuma. "We haven't had a problem for the last few decades. Which is nice considering we've been here for 46 years."

"Hopefully not another 46," Karl said. He was about to reach for seconds, but at the look his wife gave him a change of mind, briefly stretching instead. "I'd like to travel myself before my legs give out on me."

"Retirements just around the corner," Martha chimed in. "I'm sure we'll be able to find decent folk who can manage the farm eventually." Her eyes looked around the table before settling on Takuma. "How about you Takuma? Ever thought of settling on a farm?" She asked with amusement. Settling on a farm was something not many young people looked to as glamorous. Her gaze became more inquisitive. "What is it that you do anyways, besides helping out others against the occasional bandit? Your skill with a spear seems amazing."

Anonymous

Takuma managed to stifle a chucke at Karl's quip, keeping his eyes on Martha as he soon finished his plate. It only took him a moment to think over Martha's question. Searching for a new line of work did nag at him from time to time. The violence he saw in his career and the aggression is attracted didn't suit his nature. "It's crossed my mind before. I woman I once knew told me she thought I'd be happy with nothing but a plot of land and some plants to look after. However, there's far too much strife in the land these days for me to put away my spear." In his decade of being a bodyguard, he very rarely didn't have another job waiting for him around the corner, which was disappointing.

Though, he wasn't settled on the fact that his efforts were futile. He just had his work cut out for him and he wasn't one to abandon his duty and set his skills to the side to pursue what he enjoyed. There was conflict there, but he had his priorities. He would give her a smile at the compliment, replying. "I'm a freelance bodyguard. I learned how to hold a spear at a young age, and I guess I got better with time." He stood from the table and would give a small bow to Martha and Karl. "Again, thank you for the hospitality." He looked to Kaylin. "We'll be leaving around dawn tomorrow, make sure to get some rest." He would excuse himself from the table, heading back upstairs to the room that was prepared for him, wanting to get as much sleep as he could before he'd be back on the road.

Anonymous

The rest of Kaylin's night was pretty straight forward. As neither of the Hopkins allowed her to help put any food away, so Kay took it upon herself to get cleaned up. After managing to comb her hair with her left hand, she flopped back on her own bed, eyes turning out the window as if to watch the distant mountains. It was going to take a while to cross over. At least she had her map to help them pass by the best route and avoid the coldest weather. Who knew, maybe the stories she heard about a few secret spots weren't real. Maybe her altering the main maps weren't the best idea. Oh well, at least she had the actual map she based hers off of. From cross referencing everything various people told her though, there would be nothing to worry about.

A picture of the spear Takuma wielded came into her mind. Perhaps making this trip would've been better had she learned some type of defensive skill. Beyond those mountains was a world of magic. Getting there had been proven to be more dangerous than she first imagined. All of it was a half baked plan though. Escaping possible wedding plans was the only way to go about it. Maybe she could ask Takuma to teach her how to protect herself better. Her eyes closed with thoughts of her wielding weapons of legends, and she drifted into sleep.

Not long before Dawn, Kaylin rose. It had come too fast for her, but she had gotten good rest. After washing her face, she became wide awake and far less zombie like. Her wrist felt better, as did her shoulder. The side was still sore, but at least she could move without wincing. Making her way downstairs, she checked her pack to discover two additions: a small boomerang and a slingshot. They certainly were no weapons of legand, but they were better than nothing she supposed.

Both Karl and Martha would've been avail for either of the younger ones should they need anything. Karl would help Takuma if he needed any assistance with the horses. Martha was making the final preps for providing the two with food for the long trip. Also, she provided a quick breakfast for them to grab and go if they wished. Kaylin was inspecting the "weapons" (though Martha clearly explained that they were gifts to remind her of them) as she waited for Takuma to have them head out.

Anonymous

Takuma was up before dawn as well, standing out by the front porch. He was dressed in his normal clothes, the leather arm guards buckled tight. He held his spear much like it always was, stationary against his arm and passive. Something still didn't feel right for him, and could only blame the foreboding feeling on his instincts. Lifting his left hand, the bodyguard rubbed the sleep from his eyes and went about getting stuff prepared for the road ahead.

The horse was fed and brushed out before Takuma put the tack back on and lead him from the stables. Whether a cart was actually needed or if saddlebags would suffice, he'd have to see how many supplies the Hopkins had offered. Once they'd had breakfast and everything was in order, Takuma would give his thanks to the Hopkins for their generosity and a bow of respect before turning to start them off along the road.

They hadn't brought any trouble to the couple thankfully and they were much more prepared for the trip through the mountains. Glancing over at Kaylin, Takuma would ask her. "You ever rode a horse before?" The horse was a pinto, a mix of beige and a darker hazel. It could be called a paint horse because between the color transitions there was something of a mix of the two colors. It wasn't an incredibly fast horse, but it was well built and cared for, having plenty of stamina and endurance.

Anonymous

Kaylin peeked around Takuma to get a better look at the horse. Like before, she had let a few feet settle between herself and the horse. It was an amazing creature, and seemed well mannered. Kaylin shook her head. "The only thing I've ridden was a dog named Max when I was 3. One of my brother got Max to follow him around, jump over a hedge, and make me fall in a pond full of the most 'exotic' fish that got me yelled at by our parents. Needless to say, it wasn't a great experience. Since horses are like big dogs, I've never tried to ride one."

Her eyes never left the horse. It looked like a Mare, and had one of the most interesting coats she'd ever seen. "...But, there's a first time for everything. I'll have to get used to it one time or another." She glanced over at Takuma, " is it easier than it seems?"

((ooc: Bleh! So sorry for shortness.))

Anonymous

"Learning to balance and stay on the horse is simple. Getting the horse to follow your commands exactly is more difficult and takes time and experience." Takuma still held the horse by the reins, who occasionally could be heard chomping down on the bit in it's mouth. The bodyguard's eyes would turn from the path ahead and to the horse for a moment, before saying.

"I rode this horse to catch up to you. She's still young in her years and not very fast, but she's an adult and has been rode often and doesn't spook easily. A good trail horse." Takuma glanced back over to Kaylin. "You should give riding her a try, she'd only be walking. It would be better than your first time be when we actually have to use some speed."

((OOC: Hehe, it's fine. And caught a bug, might be a bit slow on posts next couple days. x_o ))

Anonymous

She was uncertain about trying to ride the horse. It was much, Much bigger than any dog, and could run for longer and faster. Her eyes closed and she shook her head to get rid of the fear. If she was going to have to be on her own, she'd have to learn basic things like riding a horse. Takuma had made yet another point. Now was as good a time as any. Kaylin's eyes opened, showing nothing but determination. She gave one solid nod, lifting her fist in front of her. "You're right. I gotta give it a shot, at some point at least."

Slowing a bit, Kaylin waited to get on the other side of the horse until it was safe for her to walk behind her. Tentatively she lifted a hand to pet the painted horse. To not let her nervousness be transferred to the horse, Kaylin thought it best to speak. "There's a good girl. Please don't throw me off your back..."  Kaylin kept talking to the horse with a mellow tone, letting her voice sooth herself and hopefully put the horse at ease. After she was comfortable, Lin fell into a peaceful silence. Her eyes moved around as thoughts came to her head.

"Hey Takuma, is there anything I can do to repay you for helping me out? It's a long trip to Serendipity. How in the world did the person who sent you pay you enough for it?" Her hazel eyes looked to the tall bodyguard. "When can you tell me who sent you anyways?"

[center:278wtlzs]========[/center:278wtlzs]

Marona stood stealthy in a tree on the mountain side. She told no one which one it was exactly. There had to be at least 20 other followers in her range of sight. With her enhanced vision, this was easily within a five mile radius. Most were hidden from the casual looker, but others were making rounds. They had to search for the girl, capture her, then return her to some noble or other. She didn't know details of who hired Commander Wayde, but she'd make damn sure her orders were accomplished. It was a simple role: Make sure no one harms the girl. Also, she was the reigning arbiter. Though the others listened to Lyron, if she had something to say, all would listen. She wasn't above cutting down friend, or foe to get the job done.

Speaking of which, the auburn haired man chose the base of her tree to relieve himself. She averted her eyes to scope for any danger. The young man muttered heated words all the while. It was easy to tell he was not happy with his wound, or whatever it meant to him. Marona knew the man knew where she was, generally at least. It was a bond shared between them, and her brother Agito. She fought the urge to tell Ly' to get back to work. Her eyes swept through the slanted trees on the mountain side. She could sense her younger brother making his way toward them, but he was still many miles out. Just a bit more than Kaylin and the man who helped her. There was a good reason to think some one was with him, but there wasn't any way for her to be sure just yet. She and the other followers waited for another chance to complete their mission.

((ooc: Hope you're felling better. Being sick bites sometimes))

Anonymous

When Kaylin had gotten to the side of the horse, he'd stopped walking to keep the horse still for her, to make it easier for her to pull herself atop the horse. He'd keep an eye on her to see if she needed help getting into the saddle. Usually he would simply grab the horn of the saddle, place a foot into the stirrup and pull himself up. But seeing someone do it was a bit different than doing it yourself and he'd lend a hand if she needed it.

When she'd looked to him and asked the questions, Takuma kept a serious face. "The only thing I'd ask of you is to pay it forward. And my client and the expenses they incur are still confidential, Kaylin." Whether he'd had to help her onto the horse or not, once she had her feet in the stirrups and was settled some, he would begin to to walk again, the horse following at it's slow pace next to him.

Takuma casually walked forward still, the reins of the horse in his hand while he lead it forward. For a moment he didn't feeling anything, but again he felt a cool breeze brush across his face, the soothing wind coming out of no where. As disarming as it felt, there had been no wind prior to that, and reflexively Takuma jerked his head back, a blur passing in front of the spearman's face.

"Shit." The hunter's aim was good, he'd lead the target as his constant speed and pace, the effects of his target's gait on his movement, and he'd still missed. Patience was a useless virtue. The arrow had followed the wind current and even with the increased speed, it didn't outweigh the effect that his target's senses were a bit too honed for such long shot.

Daust was at a small rising in the forest, a rocky outcrop that overlooked the path the girl and his target traveled down. Of course, by now he was hidden behind the rocks. It'd been a long time since he'd gotten to fight with him, maybe he'd gotten too arrogant and complacent. Fat and slow. The voice rang in his head and spurned the assassin. He wouldn't be made a fool of.

"This is real then. It's really him. But who...?" Who was the girl? His daughter? A relative? They didn't look very similar. Nevertheless, it'd only take a few more experimental shots and maybe he'd get his answers. Could the girl defend herself? Was she a threat? She didn't look like it, not much like a fighter all, no. Today he was a hunter, and for the first time in a long time he'd found his perfect prey. Selecting a second black-feathered arrow from the quiver, he settled the arrow onto the string, raising the bow.

Another brief current of wind would stretch from the bowman as only the bow and arrowtip protruded around the rock, firing off a second shot off towards Kaylin's upper back. The arrow would be airborne for a few seconds, the shaft cutting through the air quickly. If Kaylin was so observant, she'd feel the tickle of the breeze on the back of her neck from the wind current directed at her upper back.

Takuma simply ignored the first arrow, his eyes searching in the direction the arrow had came from. If there was a good spot for the archer to post up at, it would've been on top of the rocks not too far off into the forest. "Kaylin-" He'd had the time to say her name, trying to get her attention when he'd seen the composite bow show from the rocks again. Once the arrow was airborne, it only took him a moment to see for which of them it was aimed for.

The spearman didn't need to take the time to unsheath his spear, moving his one arm in a blur with the polearm in his hand, thrusting the sheathed blade into the path of the arrow, a counter-measure in the event Kaylin hadn't moved herself to get out of it's path. Of course, by now the horse was beginning to get spooked a bit from all the movement and the arrows impacting near it.

Anonymous

Getting onto the saddle was a bit awkward. She pulled herself up the way she'd seen others do it: hand on the horn, foot in the stirrup, then up she went. Aside from the hesitation when she was first off the ground, Kaylin was able to mount up fairly quickly for it being her first time. With her other leg in the other stirrup, she settled in the saddle. Her first thought was that she didn't like it, but she knew she had to give it a chance. When the horse began moving, the feeling only increased. A gentle breeze appeared from almost no where. Perhaps it was the change in landscape. Looking around though, she didn't see any change really.

Whatever it was, Kaylin didn't like the feeling she was getting from up here. Without warning, something whizzed past the body guard's face. It was too fast to be a bird, or a bug. Her eyes went to where it was headed. The only thing she saw was a black feathered end to what only could be an arrow, deeply embedded into an unfortunate tree. "Takuma, what's going on?" Her words were more deliberate than anytime before. She would accept not knowing who sent her, but this was something she couldn't let go. Something wasn't right. Unease seemed to tingle up her neck, traveling right into the horse who was becoming more and more unsettled.

Kaylin's grip on the saddle tightened. There was a sudden breeze again, this time it almost seemed to be heading toward her. The horse made a jittery movement and Kaylin leaned to the side. Had the arrow gone through, sheer luck would've had it so that neither were injured. Thankfully nothing got so far. She looked back at Takuma who's sheathed blade was by her back. She looked at the deflected arrow. Panic started to work its way into her. The best cover for that was anger. Her narrowed eyes went toward where the wind and the arrow had come from. Though she was concern and fear were in her eyes, it wasn't really easy to see in her narrowed eyes. "What in the world? Bandits already?"

[center:2cxrgho5]========[/center:2cxrgho5]

Agito walked along side their Commander Wayde. Standing next to such a massive man made him feel even more inadequate since he lost the fight the previous day. Thankfully his head wasn't hurting as much. If it wasn't for his genes, he might not have woken up, let alone notice his sister right away. The teen was careful to watch his speed. His own skill got the best of him at times. The commander liked to be in front of all his men, at the forefront of battle he called it. Agito ached to scout ahead, or at least for the concealment of the denser trees in the forest. Wayde was like a tank when traveling. Slow and powerful, nothing got in his way. In battle he became something to recon with. It was almost as if he deliberately allowed his foes enough time to run before he got there.

There had to be at least twenty other men behind them. The Commander received the letter the spear-man had dropped. After reading it over, he simply rolled it back up and had Agito gather all of their their followers. Using his speed, Agito was able to relay the message to everyone, grab some shut eye, and watch everyone return as fast as they could. Unease crept up in him. He knew the direction his sister and her admirer were in thanks to their bond. Right now, it was telling him that things were not okay. Something was wrong, or at least might be. He'd stay quiet for a bit longer, but if he felt Marona pull for him to do anything specific, he would speak up. Though they were a few miles away from the start of the mountain, it wouldn't take him long to reach there.

Anonymous

"It's not bandits. This one's working alone." And with that, the spearman looped his fingers around the horn of the saddle, jumping and pulling himself onto the saddle at the same time, sitting directly behind Kaylin. "Just hold on, we have to get out of range." He'd say from behind her. His heels would give a gentle kick to the horse's flanks, making the mare stutter-step for but a moment before darting forward. The horse ran a little faster than a canter, the spearman holding the polearm off to the side of the horse and keeping his eyes towards the rocky outcropping for any signs of a third shot.

Takuma didn't seem too worried. The archer was at a long range, which gave him time to spot the arrows and react to them, since he knew where they were coming from. If the bowman had been closer, he'd been in a bit more dangerous position. Thankfully, that wasn't the case, and soon they'd at least be getting close to the base of the mountain. Hopefully they could lose anyone else who was following them in the mountains.

Daust watched as the arrow was deflected, bouncing off the metal sheath of the spear. He didn't ready another shot, but instead flopped to the side in a fit of giggles. How could his luck be any better? Not only had he found this one he'd been searching for so long, but also with a very distinct weakness. The bowman feared this would be too easy. His experimentation was over.

Sheltering the string of the composite bow against his arm, the assassin would tighten the quiver about his body before he dropped down the rocks, bouncing from ledge to ledge with a fluid momentum, before dropping to the forest floor. A scratching as he dropped through the floral canopy, and a small thud as his shoulder contacted the ground. His momentum sent him forward in a roll which propelled the wind mage onto his feet into a running start.

Small gusts of wind began to carry behind the bowman, giving only a gentle push at first, then sending debri into the air, scattering against the trunks of the forest. Soon the bowman was beginning to catch the speed of the horse, darting between the trees, but keeping his distance. He windwalked after his prey, the bow clutched tightly to his arm.

The hunt was on.

Anonymous

((OOC:Terribly sorry for the delay, Reo.))

The hand on the saddle startled her. A disturbed confusion came over her, but settled quickly once she realized it was Takuma. Kaylin's eyes returned to where the arrows had came from. There was no more sudden movements, no more arrows just then. She tried to think of how her death would be, but it never came to her. Perhaps it wasn't going to be possible today, or it was too horrifying to imagine. Laying her hands on the painted mare, Kaylin got a better feeling of the horse. Power exuded from the horse beneath her and Takuma behind her. It gave her shelter from her own fears and strength to focus on what was going on.

The horse was going faster than ever before. Much different than the steady walk originally planned. The ground would get more uneven as they approached the mountain. One wrong step could be the end of it for all three of them. Kaylin leaned closer to the horses neck, mindful not to get hit by it's movements. Amongst the sound of hooves she heard a string of soft sounds near by. They didn't alert her, but seemed to give her strength, comfort, and confidence. It went on for a moment before she realized they were her own words. She was actually speaking, but the words were nothing she could distinguish with all the sounds. Whatever that was about, Kaylin stopped as soon as she noticed it. She felt no need to question it, only a little bit more calm. The terror didn't grip her as it had before. Though the threat was still out there, she was just a bit more steady. Her horse seemed to be moving faster, and more sure, but that could just be her imagination.

She noticed Takuma handling his spear. He above all else needed to focus on the threat. There was no room for fear at this time. Kaylin turned her hear to speak to the bodyguard. "Tell me when and I'll drive!" She said loud enough for him to hear. She watched him for a moment to make sure he heard. She'd know if he wanted her to hold the reigns. No, she had never done it before, but the horse seemed to know what she was doing. How hard could it really be? Right now Kaylin felt as if she could take on the world. Right now, this moment, she wanted to live in that feeling. In the back of her mind she had a feeling it wouldn't last too long.