Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Serendipity Money?

Started by Anonymous, September 02, 2009, 03:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Yeees, you know me as Shizzy the Spook. Anyway, I was looking through the Wiki and found Serendipity's money system! Yay!

I read it and now...I am confused.

Quote from: "Serendipity Wiki"The currency of Serendipity comes in the form of copper, silver, and gold coins, all of which are branded with Serendipity's rising sun on one side. Most merchants in Serendipity will also accept Adelan coin and some will accept Connlaothan as well.

Copper coins
    One copper coin is a pip. Opposite the sun side is a wheat bundle.
    Ten pips make a copper penny, with a lily opposite the sun side.
    Ten shils make a copper shil, with a dragonfly on the opposite side.

Silver coins
    Twenty pennies make a silver glint, with a spear opposite the sun side.
    Ten glints make a silver moon, with a moon and stars opposite the sun side.

Gold coins
    Fifty moons make a gold shiin, with an a portrait of Shaith opposite the sun side.
    Fifty shiin make a gold sun, with a rampant gryphon opposite the sun side.

I'm going to assume that the copper coin thing was an accident, and that ten copper pennies make a copper shil. But...what I don't understand really, is the different levels for each coin. Why are there three different kinds of copper coins? What's the difference between them? Are the copper shils (Which I hope aren't just copper pieces with a different thing posted on the back) of purer form? Do they add a dash of silver to the mix to make it different? The same goes with Silver and Gold coins as well.

Because that just seems like..."Oh I want a gold sun. I'll just melt this Shiin down and stamp a rampant gryphon on the other side of the new coin and BAM! I've turned this gold coin into FIFTY small gold coins. Then I can just go get fifty gold Shiins for my one gold sun and do the exact same thing!"

Tally

It's the purity of the metal that makes the difference. P:

Anonymous

See thaaaaaaat makes a little more sense, but why the different denominational values of the coins? It seems like an awful headache for the whole thing don't you think?

Edit: I don't even know why it makes such a strangeness to me, considering in DnD it's like "Copper, Silver, Electum, Gold, Platinum"

Anonymous

When I read it I thought size was a factor. Bigger coin=more precious metal=more money.

It would also mean you could cut a coin up to make change. They used to do that in real life, that's what "pieces of eight" meant.

Tally

Size would also be another factor, yeah. ^^

Anonymous

Quote from: "Acacia"It would also mean you could cut a coin up to make change. They used to do that in real life, that's what "pieces of eight" meant.

That's how I always thought it worked. As that was how the real world did it xD