Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Without a Paddle

Started by Anonymous, September 22, 2009, 08:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

[center:2cru6hju]The darkness was soothing. These days, Asyel could ask for nothing more. The silence was her best friend, her sanctuary. She fled to it when nothing else seemed right or real. She could never understand why life was the way it was, why it constantly mocked her. She didn't understand why no one tried to reach out and save her from the downward spiral. She didn't understand, but she accepted it.

Today was the day she dreaded most. The day time was proven to continue forward. The day she grew another year older. The day her parents abandoned her and left her for dead. She had many reasons for hating this day, but one reason stood out from the others. Today was the day those four dreaded marks appeared above her eyes. The day she could never be seen as a normal girl again. She hated life before they came along, but now, now life was unlivable, especially in Connaoth. She couldn't step out of her house without being ridiculed, gawked at, and tormented at every corner for having those things on her face.

She sat alone, as usual and stared blankly out the window. It was really the only thing worth looking at. She didn't have much else in the abandoned building. She had a few piles of old clothes for a bed and a candle given to her by her mother. She never lit it. It just sat there as a memory of what had been 7 long years ago. As she stared out the window she saw a glimmer of light hit the ceiling which was strange because nothing ever happened in he village. She got up slowly and stiffly and walked over to the window to see what had been going on below.

She looked down from where she stood and saw a man and a women arguing. She couldn't hear what they were saying but the woman's hands flared in anger. A mage! thought Asyel. Excitement grew as the light grew brighter on the fists of the raging woman. Asyel grabbed her ragged old coat and flew down the creaky steps to the floor below. She watched in pure awe as the man egged the woman on. She heard him say something about a "dirty, stinking magic lover" and watched as the woman's body shook in pure anger. Then, in what seemed to be slow motion, the fire in the hands of the woman lashed out and engulfed the man in a fit of fury and incredible color. The man didn't know what to make of it at first so he just backed away quickly from the woman before the screams erupted from his mouth. Asyel stared in what might have been a mixture of horror and fascination as the man collapsed to the ground and continued to scream in a pitch no man should ever make.

By this time many groups of people had formed a circle around the two. The woman's breathing, which had been going rapid fire before, had started to slow. It took a few seconds before she realized what she had done and looked wide-eyed around at the crowd standing around her. She panicked for a second, trying to think of a way to explain herself, before turning and walking calmly towards Asyel, as if nothing had happened. Asyel stared in awe as the woman brushed past her and found a seat on a nearby crate. The woman then burst into tears that no amount of comforting could stop. Asyel stood there for a second before walking cautiously to the woman.

"Hi there," she said to the woman, who looked up at her and continued to sob.
Asyel coughed and repeated the statement, louder with more intensity. With this the woman tried to stop crying and looked at her with tear filled eyes.
"Hello," said the woman, "Are you here to make fun of me too?"
Asyel thought for a moment. "No. I was just wondering if you are ok."
"i'm fine. Can you go away now?" said the lady, getting more upset by the minute.
"I can't. This is my home."[/center:2cru6hju]

Anonymous

Hachen quickly ran over to the woman from where he was watching the whol event unfold and said, "Look, this may not be the best place to sob.  We need a more... secluded spot if you want to calm down,"  He looked over his shoulder to check, "but the mage hunters will be here any moment."  He held his hand out to the woman so he could help her up, his face seemed sincere and his words held a certain command and urgency to them.  

A pig was at his feet and calmly looked up at Asyel.  It snorted, like a hello, then it turned to see if there were any mage hunters.  Luckily none, yet.

Anonymous

A slight figure darted among the buildings. The young man sighed, he had been trying to find peace and quiet for a while. But his guards would not leave him alone. He had to suddenly disappear into no where to lose most of them, but they seemed to keep on finding him. Ealius sighed. He was at a loss. He had enough guards as it was, but once they told others that he had gone missing, they had gotten dozens of more people searching for him.

Ealius sighed again. He had never gone through so much trouble to get away from everyone. He was in a dark mood. Eal was afraid that if he met someone he might beat them to death or something. Ealius stopped and took a few deep breaths and tried hard to calm himself down. But it was not meant to be, his arms moved on their own, and he punched a brick wall, once, twice, thrice . . . His fists had begun to bleed. He sighed, his anger vented. He ripped a piece of his outer cloak and wrapped the around both fist. He continued down the alley way.

Eal reached the end of the alley way, to find a woman crying not too far in front of him. Ealius never knew what to do with crying people. He took a few steps back and hid in the shadows and watched to see first, a young woman go up to the first woman, then a man. Interesting.

Anonymous

Asyel stood there. Staring. She didn't know what to make of the man, the woman, or the snorty little pig. She fell to the crate the woman had been sitting on and stared as they ran out the door. Should she follow them at the risk of being seen with a mage? should she sit here and be suspected of having done the spell? She weighed her options and decided to follow the two out the door.

She jogged towards the door, but before stepping out she checked to see if anyone noticed the commotion that occurred just moments before. No one seemed to be all to concerned so Asyel decided it was safe for now. She jogged after the man and the woman, keeping her distance so she wouldn't be noticed. She didn't want to talk or meet them, just wanted to see what they were up to.

She hid in the shadows so she could safely observe them when her hand brushed up against something, something alive. She squealed. "H-hello?"

Anonymous

Eal watched carefully at what happened. This was the strangest thing he had ever seen. It was all very confusing too. He watched as the woman that was crying and the man run off a little farther away. But it was the other young woman that scared the living life out of him. She had suddenly appeared there and decided to hide there as well! He jumped back and almost fell over. He cursed under his breath and steadied himself using the wall.

Ealius did not know what to do now. He had been found. This not good. He had been spying, which was frowned on. He sighed and stepped into a dimly light area.

"Ah sorry for startling you, but you startled me more then you, I." Ealius said. "The name is Ealius."

Anonymous

Asyel froze. Wide-eyed, she turned around and looked up at the man who towered over her. He had dark hair which was covered by a dark hat, that she could see. He also wore a long type of coat. She dared not look for a second more for fear that he would notice the marks on her forhead and turn her in to the mage hunters so she turned away. She clentched her fist. Oh how she despised contact with living creatures.

She took a breath before replying. "why are you here?"

Anonymous

Ealius noted that the young woman had some strange marks on her forehead, but cast them away, because he was never one to discriminate or . . . . markinate . . . He sighed. The second thing he noted was when the girl, well, maybe not girl, she looked around pretty close to his age. Anyway, she was making fists, and she had a look of annoyance on her face.

"Well, I was hiding from some people who are after me . . . " He paused, should she be telling this to her? " And I saw that crying woman and that man and you, it looked strange, and I get curious around strange things."

Eal looked around. "What is you name, Miss . . .?"

Anonymous

she listened to his response, digesting each word. hiding? was he a prisoner? An official? She turned her head and looked at him, closer this time. He was young, lean and handsome. she turned back before he could see her staring at him.

No matter what she saw, the important thing was he didn't look dangerous, at least not to her, though she wasn't one to recognize danger very well. She stepped back so she was in the shadows again and he was in the light. This way he couldn't catch her staring.

"well, Ealius, if i told you that i would have to kill you" She smirked. A little dark humor with strangers never killed anyone. Or did it.
"who are you hiding from exactly?"

Anonymous

The orders had gotten to her not too long ago. The messenger had practically shoved it into her hands before galloping off to find other patrols to have join in the search. Leslie had been watching the spot where the messenger had disappeared, wondering if she really wanted to take a look and what had been given to her. After all, her patrol had been going smoothly and without event, just the way she liked it. Now this. The captain looked down at the message she held in her hand, looked up at her small patrol, then back down at the parchment. Well, might as well get this over with.

Leslie showed little reaction to the order, though inside she wasn't too pleased. The piece of paper had orders to search a nearby town for one missing prince. Why was it that she always got dragged into the search whenever he ran off? Oh well, orders were orders and maybe she'd be the one to find him this time and let him know how she felt about his little disappearing acts. The captain put the orders up her sleeve and signaled her small squad to form up in a half-circle in front of her.

"Alright! Orders just came down the pipe saying we have a missing Prince and that he was last spotted in this general area." A few in her squad rolled their eyes. They knew that 'general area' usually meant a good dozen leagues. Others she knew stayed near the Capital to know that these disappearances weren't that uncommon but it was always a hassle to find the Prince again.

"Let's go! We're to search a nearby town then move on from there!" The soldiers barked out their compliance and steered their horses inline behind hers and headed off towards the town. On the way, Leslie was brooding about how a nice, peaceful patrol had gone so wrong. They were on their way back too! She really hoped the Prince was here. She'd give him a piece of her mind alright, rank be damned.

All thoughts about the Prince swiftly left her mind when the stench of burned flesh reached her nose. Some of the others had noticed it too and were showing signs of unease. "Free your weapons and be prepared for anything." She barked behind her, taking out one of her pistols. Though it might not be what she was thinking, it was always possible that there was a mage around. The villages weren't as tight about the vile monsters as they should be.

Soon, the sound of crying reached the Captain. "Form up and dismount!" She called, quickly following her own order. The others quickly formed into two ranks and got down from their horses, scanning the nearby houses for any suspicious activity. As the crying got louder, and the stench stronger, Leslie could tell that whatever had happened, it was down now. "At ease!" The Captain ordered, relaxing a little herself as everybody put their weapons away. Though things might have settled down a little, there was still protocol to go through.

Today had started so well too.

As the squad approached, Leslie handed her reins off to a nearby soldier and stood a little off from the crowd that was circled around the source of the stench and the crying. It was always a headache to deal with a death. Some of the villagers had heard the squad's approach and were trying to move others out of the way so that Leslie could see what had happened and were probably hoping that she'd kiss everything and make it better.

"What's going on here?" She asked, loudly. Most of the villagers looked up at her question then moved from in front of her so she could take in the scene. Was she saw took her aback. She didn't show any reaction, her training made sure of that, but the scene disgusted her and reminded her why mages were to be hunted down and killed. A woman was crying over a body that had no skin. Mage fire had probably burned the skin off, judging by the stench and the fact that nothing else was burned.

"Jenks! Stay with the horses!" She barked. "I want these people cleared and I want to know what happened here." Her five-man squad, not including her, broke up as directed and started dissipating the crowd, asking questions about what happened and such. Leslie went over to the crying woman and knelt down next to her. "Don't worry Ma'am." The Captain said genitally. "We'll get whoever or whatever did this." The woman looked up into Leslie's eyes to see solid determination. Oh would that mage pay.

Anonymous

Hachen finally got the woman to stop crying and looked over at the other two.  "You two can come out, I won't bite."  He said with a smile.  "I've heard you two talking although a bit muffled so I believe introductions are in order.  My name is Hachen Raine, and this is pig," He flourished his hand towards the pig that was leaving to check outside, "Okay... there goes pig would be more appropriate.  May I ask who you all are."  He wasn't just talkting to Ealius and Asyel but he also wanted the woman's name as well.

A pig in such a small town was the perfect spy, no one paid any heed to pigs, no matter the place.  The pig only needed to poke its head though to see the soldiers that had come.  It hid around the corner quickly and started to make its way back to where the others were hiding before they were found.

Anonymous

Ealius smiled. Today had turned out to be a very interesting day. He liked it when it was interesting. He loved to be curious about it too. He turned to the woman who he had previously been talking to. "Well, I was running away from my own guards of course." Eal grinned. "I must say though, I can't say too much more, or they will have to kill you too." A little humor on her humor. " And I do say, you still haven't introduced yourself, I guess we are going to have to do it with those two over there huh?"

He stepped out into the light and tsked. "And I forgot to bring my name with me." He paused before he addressed the other man. "I am Ealius. Just Ealius. Or Eal I guess for short. You do know that some soldiers are coming this way don't you guys?" he paused. "I can hear them already . . ."

Anonymous

Asyel smiled to herself. So Mr. Runaway had a sense of humor. Maybe she misunderstood that not all people are cruel in the world. She heard calling from somewhere off in the distance. Wow. come out of the darkness and be flooded by people. She watched as Ealius stepped from the shadows, revealing himself for everyone to see. Asyel panicked a second, again weighing the pros and cons of stepping from her hiding spot. This was why she never left her sanctuary.

After a moment of arguing with herself, she decided being caught with this runaway was better then being caught near a crime scene with no alibi. So she, to, stepped out of the darkness and quickly followed in step with him. She looked at her feet as she caught up with the man, er...Hachen and the woman who's identity she did not know. Asyel looked down and watched as the pig trotted past her. She wondered why it was even there. A pet? perhaps.

Asyel listened as Ealius introduced himself to everyone and stiffed a little as he mentioned the soldiers. She thought she heard something earlier but i guess it slipped her mind as something unimportant. Funny how that happens.

For the first time, Asyel took a look at Hachen. He was tall, he towered over everyone in the room, thin, and young. He couldn't have been much older then her, though he carried himself with the maturity of one much older, or at least thats what she saw. She then turned to the woman, who was sniffling beside him, cowering almost. She was small, the shortest one in the room for sure, but Asyel couldn't see much more then that  because the miss, or maybe misses, was standing in the shadows. She didn't seem like one who was into socializing to much.

She walked over and propped herself on a wall. Introductions were not her strong point. Hopefully she would be able to just sneak out and never have to see these people again. Hopefully she would be able to go back to her friend darkness. She sighed.

Anonymous

Hachen noted that the soldiers were coming, "That's why pig just left, he's my lookout.  Pigs are never pinned as spies because no one would suspect it.  He's perfect for it."  He turned to Asyel now against the wall.  He looked at her for a minute and asked, "So, do you have a name or am I to just call you girl in case we need to get away together?"  She didn't have time to respond though because pig came running back into the room and snorted twice.  

"Okay, they're close... too close."  He looked at Asyel and Ealius closely.  "Okay if they find us then they will kill... three of us.  Me, that woman, and... girl.  Ealius, I don't see any reason you would be in danger though, but that woman and I are mages.  As for girl, she isn't exactly human."  He poked his own head where the dots are on her head were to indicate how he knew.  "Unless there is something we don't know about you."  He said turning back to Ealius.  He listened for a response as he started getting out a map from his coat pocket.  He seemed to know what he was doing, like he's done this before.  "If anyone has anything to say I'm listening."  He said plainly while studying his map of Connlaoth.  Pig had its head out the door looking down the way watching for any soldiers.

Anonymous

Ealius cracked a crooked smile. "I've got something to say . . ."

He looked at the group of mismatched people. What an interesting day. But it is time for the chasing to end. Eal thought. He looked around at everyone and shrugged. He had to figure out how to put this in a delicate way . . . but he was running out of time, the soldiers could be seen rounding a corner. "Now, now, they wouldn't capture you guys if we were all with someone of great importance." he paused. "I mean, they couldn't just go and arresting the highest authority or a prince of the likes." He paused and glanced at the nearing soldiers. "Well, lets just say, you will have to watch to see."

He turned to the soldiers and took a few steps closer. The group of men paused and was slightly confused. Ealius brushed the hair from his face and smiled before his face returned to a frown. It was incredibly funny. The faces that the soldiers had on. "Why now, are you bothering us?" The men looked even more confused. Eal had to smile before he spoke again. "These people are under the protection of the Prince of Connlaoth."

One of the soldiers stepped forward. "Yeah right. And which of you lowly commoners could be the prince of Connlaoth?" Ealius tsked. "You should treat us "commoners" with more respect, becuase." Ealius shook his head at the soldier as he took out his royal seal. "I am the prince."

Anonymous

Of course. Hachen thought as he watched Ealius stop the guards.  Why was the prince of Connlaoth helping magic users and a non-human though.  Hachen walked up to and stood behind Ealius.  He didn't say anything but they were stuck there now, so he wanted to make sure things went right.

Anonymous

Asyel stood and watched as the whole thing opened up. She didn't want to give anything away about herself, not yet anyway. She would follow them but only so she herself would not be found and mistaken for the mage who blew apart that man. That was her biggest fear, aside from being abandoned again from someone she loved. So whatever these people had planned, she would be part of.

She looked up when she realized Hachen had been talking to her. He mentioned being willing to escape with her. Could she trust him? Should she risk it? Maybe it would be of some use to build a trust with these people, especially if it meant being able to save her life. She took a breath, but then caught it when he mentioned her on the list of those to die. Her hands automatically flew to her forehead to cover the marks. She looked around the group and noticed that non of them had scorning looks on their faces. In fact they all seemed accepting and bored with the fact. She dropped her hands slowly to her sides and relaxed a little bit.

Ealius began to speak, so Asyel turned to look at him. His had a smile on his lips as he stood relaxed and willing to speak out about himself. Though she just met him, Asyel admired this. His freeness about himself took her breath away for it was something she could never find the courage to do. She waited in anticipation for him to say more when she spotted the guards, flying around the corner. She froze and turned so her face was no longer in the sight of them. Of course. She was beginning to have hope again for living beings, then the mage hunters come along. She tightened her hands into fists and shut her eyes tight.

Ealius began speaking to them. He seemed to shape each word carefully so the guards wouldn't just arrest each of them right there. Great importance? High authority? What was he talking about? His words began to sink into her mind. Her eyes opened wide and her mouth dropped open. She knew what he was going to say before it came out of his mouth, but she herself couldn't believe it.
Prince? She leaves her sanctuary for one day and runs into the Prince!? It was almost to much for her to bear. She fell back against a wall and stared in disbelief. Completely forgetting there were guards right there, she ran her hand across her bangs, pulling them up and out of her eyes, revealing the marks that had a moment ago been hidden. One of the guards saw them before she could hide them from sight. He shouted at the rest of the guards. "She's a mage! Get them!"

Anonymous

Hachen looked over at Asyel and the woman to see if they were alright while Ealius talked and saw Asyel move her bangs out of the way and Hachen tried to stop her but was too late.  When he heard the guards he said, "Okay negotiation over."  He took Ealius by the arm, pulled him into the building with him and took out what seemed to be a stick.  Then the doorway and the wall above it caved in, blocking that way out.

"Okay, so,"  He started before pointing the stick at a wall and moving it in up right then back down.  This made the wall cut out in that pattern making a new doorway to a side alley.  The wall was cut through, like a saw and fell outward.  He pushed the wall to make room for them and said.  "Sorry Ealius but your in this too.  Hope your okay with being a hostage, its just in case we need you to be."  Pig ran out and down the alley to scout.  Then squeeled once.  "It's all clear, any objections because they'll be through that wreckage in about a minute."  He said pointing at the rubble filled doorway.  The sound of them shifting it had already started.  He knew that Connlaoth soldier weren't the brightest so even the prince might not stop them, unless he was held "hostage".

Anonymous

One of Leslie's squad approached her as she was comforting the lady and snapped to attention. "Ma'am, several locals have reported seeing the mage run off in that direction." He pointed in the indicated direction. She nodded and stood up. "Ok. Take Razor and Spike with you." The soldier saluted his assent. "And for Gods' sakes, be careful. This mage has already toasted one person that we know of. Who knows how many other it has killed." He nodded once before turning to call for those she named. Hopefully there wouldn't be any trouble getting things wrapped up and to return to their original mission.

For now, though, the villagers were looking at her in an expectant manner. She sighed inwardly. The things that come with rank. "Alright! Everybody return to your homes!" She talked loudly to make sure everybody could hear her. "Keep children inside and report any suspicious behavior." The villagers were scared and it was understandable. These beasts thought they could just go around, doing whatever they wanted it. It disgusted her. "Don't worry." She said in a softer tone though no quieter. "We'll get this beast on a leash." With that, the townspeople made their way back to their homes, confident that the military would fix this problem...or so the Captain hoped they felt. The remaining member of her squad walked up to her. "Come on. Let's go see how the others are doing." He nodded as she turned to lead the way.

It only took a few feet before an unpleasant sound hit her ears. "She's a mage! Get them!" Leslie groaned inwardly. That was probably Razor. He had always been one to jump into things without thinking it through first. She drew her pistols before breaking into a sprint. Hopefully things wouldn't be too bad by the time she got there. She slide around the corner to see the three men scrambling to clear the blocked doorway. "Idoits!" Leslie yelled as she ran. She skidded to a halt before spouting off orders. "Forget the doorway. Fan out and surround the building and wait for them to come out. Spike, Jim. You're with me. The rest go around the other way. Yell if you see them." Dammit dammit dammit. "Well? MOVE!" The soldiers jumped into action.

Leslie was certainly getting her exercise today. Good thing she kept up with her endurance drills. She whipped around one corner and spotted a group of people fleeing. With the Prince. Like hell she'd allow that! She leveled one of her pistols at them. "Stop or I'll shoot!" Not as dramatic as it could be, true, but it definitely worked. "Get ready to rush them." She told her subordinates in a quiet voice.

Anonymous

It was not a good day to be the prince. The idiots he had surrounded himself with today were not very smart. Even if the soldiers had not believed that he were the prince, he would have just asked to see the highest official there was and show them his seal. But Hachen decided to take his hostage. Everything went in a blur, it was pandimonium. Ealius was beginning to get far more annoyed then he had been for a long time. IDIOTS! Why would no one just wait and listen to him? He was getting dragged along by Hachen when a group of soldiers with a higher official, he could tell by their voice.

At this point, the person shouted, "Stop or I'll shoot!" Ealius finally snapped. He took a deep breath and shouted his words. "EVERYONE, STOP!"

He stepped passed Hachen and his group and into the middle where he could see both groups, the soldiers and his group of mismatched people. He breathed through his teeth and was shaking his head in disgust. He sighed before he looked up, with a glare on his face, at both the groups.

"You guys are all can't listen can you?!" Ealius exclaimed. "I can't believe no one would just stop and listen to me?" He looked at the soldiers. "Seriously, I told you that these people were under MY protection!" He snapped his head and looked at Hachen and them. "And you, Hachen, seriously! If you had just waited, that higher official - " He vaguely pointed into the group of soldiers. "Would have come! I would have gotten us out without all of this commotion!" He sighed again, putting his hand to his face and rubbing it. What a day. " Well, well now, what are you guys going to do? Keep on running and chasing?"

Anonymous

Everything moved in slow motion but too fast for any good reactions. She managed to grab the lady's arm and pull her to where Ealius and Hachen were before the guards could get their hands on her. She stood, shoulder to shoulder with Hachen, and watched as the guards rounded to where the new opening was. Her heart began to beat out of her chest before Ealius snapped.

Asyel's eyes opened wide in horror. He must be mad. Opening himself to these people could mean the death of the rest of them for kidnapping the Prince. She racked her brain for something to get her out of the mess and not risk the lives of these strangers. She looked over at the woman, who was now hyperventilating in fear of being captured and killed by the mage hunters. She looked at Hachen who's expression seemed the match that of her own. Then she looked at Ealius, who exploded in complete anger an frustration. How could he have just expected them all to wait there? How could he have risked their lives? He may have been able to get out of it alive, but the three of them would be captured, tortured, questioned, and most likely, killed. Asyel grew angry as well, but she could think of nothing to say. She just stared in frustration as the Prince yelled at them for fearing their lives.

She was just about to speak up when the woman decided to try and make a break for it. Her hands glowed bright orange and she shot power from her hands at the opposite wall from where the guards where. It hit, leaving behind a hole big enough for a large man to walk through with no problem. The woman then dashed for the door, either out of madness or pure fear, Asyel could not tell. She watched as the guards flooded in after the woman, reaching her quickly and throwing her to the ground. Asyel looked away quickly, not wanting to see what would happen next