Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An unfortunate circumstance

Started by Anonymous, October 06, 2009, 06:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Not the smartest idea she'd ever had, but since when did she actually care enough to think about it?  It was of no matter anyway, it's not like it hadn't happened before, just a little less messy and involved.

In this serene valley of seeming paradise where the birds whistled and cawed to one another, animals frolicked along the fields and fish swam wildly through the river as hungry beasts watched the surface; there was a lot of noise disturbing the peace, metal noisily crashing against metal, piercing whistles of arrows or bolts cutting through the air, usually followed with a dull thunk.
It was the sound of a single, black knight fending off around seven hunters all with a variety of weapons and substances in attempt to subdue and kill the knight, except about a minute or so into the battle they realised it wasn't going too well.

Perish had about twenty bolts and arrows sticking out of her with a variety of tips and metals as the archers attempted to figure out what would work, silver, holy, cursed, broadheaded arrows, barbed, everything they had.  She wasn't responding much to the arrows slamming into her every so often, occupied with fending off three fighters, one had a very big axe, the other two had swords that looked rather unique for mage-hunting.

The axe crashed into her side, the edge stopped from the plated armour, the satisfying sound of several bones breaking were heard, but Perish was still working away at the other two, succeeding in killing one.
The archers got annoying next, she totally ignored the fighters and chased after the archers, a dozen more arrows and bolts riddled across her before she had silenced two of them.
Though unfortunately her ignorance of the fighters was unwisely chosen, an axe came swinging down, nearly cleaving one of her legs off and knocking her down.  She was promptly coup de graced by the sword wielder but that only left him open, so he joined the other fighter and two archers in death.
Perish stood up and pulled the sword out, blocking and axe and flinging the sword at one of the archers, going off to pursue the last one when the axe came crashing around again.  This time she actually lost her left arm, knocking her clean off her feet again which the fighter followed up immediately, crashing the axe into her mid section, sinking in deep but not quite cutting all the way through.
He had to let go of his axe to get away from Perish's counter attack, running off to pick up a weapon from his fallen comrades.

Anonymous

Connlaoth was not a place that many people wanted to go. A person with magic flowing through them was without a doubt going to get themsleves killed. However, it wasn't like they could just tell who was a magic user, not if you were smart. The person walking through the lush valley was smart. He wouldn't walk into Reajh, no, that would be a terrible idea. Just in case they could find out what he was. His stride was nice and calm, he didn't very much have anything to fear this far out. Besides...he was 'normal' so to speak. He was a tall fellow, very strange looking in terms of his attire. He wore a puffy black and white striped shirt, it had rather large shoulders that were puffed out.

He walked with calm abandon, a rather finely crafted lute was within his hands, which were strumming the strings to tune it. He knew the sounds, the correct sounds that the different chords should make. His eyes, one chocolate brown, one light blue, looked as one of his passes over the strings sounded...metallic. He shook his head, sending his shaggy blonde hair with black tips everywhere. A growl passed his lips as he fixed his hair, but stopped when he heard...something strange.

What was that noise? He had heard that noise before.

Oh! That was the sound of battle! He knew that much. It was the sound of metal attacking other metal. His feet were quick as he began to run, trying to hunt down the source of this sound. It didn't take too long for him to find the particular sounds of battle. When he got there, he was stunned by the absolute carnage that he was witnessing. A knight was fighting seven people...and by the looks of it...they weren't doing so well. The gruesome sight before the strange man was intense, and he couldn't help but just stare at what was happening. This was insane...he could see the Knight getting attacked, losing an arm, and even a leg, but still the Knight fought. Was this some berserker who would only feel the pain afterwards? Would the person die afterwards then?

The knight was doing rather well...until one of the last people managed to knock the knight off its feet. He was rather surprised to say the least, and for whatever reason he sympathized for the Knight. His lute was placed upon the ground, and his wicked thin dagger was removed from his belt. The man was fast to rush the retreating fighter, launching the full force of his body to knock the man from his feet. With the man upon the ground, his face pressed into the grass, the dagger was quick to press through the man's back and into his spine. The dagger worked quick to do this several more times, before it was pressed through the fellow's throat to finish the fighter off.

His dagger was removed from the dead man's throat and replaced into his belt. He turned his attention back to the fallen knight, running to the knight's side and kneeling at the head, removing the helmet. There he found a woman instead of a male knight, which he expected. "I uh...I don't think you're going to make it Miss...I can...perform a mercy kill." He wasn't even sure if she'd be able to speak, someone who had taken THAT much damage would surely almost be dead of blood loss by this time.

Anonymous

There was pain like a rather sore and irritable scratch in her lower torso, her left arm was really sore, like her leg, and the amount of arrows riddled through her felt very, very awkward, mere pin pricks of pain.
Her sword arm fell to her side, not sure how to proceed now there was an axe in her stomach and her right leg wasn't too usuable, though it seemed as the fighter retreated he met his demise at the end of a dozen dagger strikes, by some stranger.

Before she knew it she felt her helmet being removed a little disorientated, her habitual instincts made her arm reach for her helmet but it was quite clear this person wasn't attacking her, so the vulnerability wasn't too worrisome.
She blinked a few times in response to the man's words, raising her head a little as she looked at all the blood pooling around her and thrown all over the grass around the site of the battle, it did indeed look pretty bad.

"Ouch," Perish mumbled, blood gurgled up through her mouth and streamed down the corner of her mouth, she didn't cough since she didn't actually breathe, but talking did require her lungs and her lungs were flooded with blood right now.
"I almost wish you could kill me," Perish said, more blood seeped out of her mouth as she reached to the hilt of the axe still embedded in her stomach, vainly tugging away at it in attempt to remove it.

Blood all over the area slowly started travelling to Perish like she was some kind of blood magnet, unnoticeable at first, unmistakeable at second, and it slowly creeped up her body, in through the cracks of the armour, piercing into the body and re-entering the bloodstream.
"I... need a hand with this, I only have one," Perish said a little unsurely at the stranger as she very slowly budged the axe, again, blood dribbled out of her mouth with each word.  Her wounds were closing up pretty rapidly and reknitting the flesh but they couldn't properly heal with the arrow or axe still in them, the cracking sound of bones un-breaking came from her ribs.

It had to be her luck to come across a mage-hunting party, she stuck out like a sore thumb with her black armour and devilish sword, yet she never changed what she wore regardless of how much trouble it got her into, right now was a prime example.

Anonymous

It was astonishing to see that the woman was still quite cognitive. Her eyes looked...blood red, which chilled his blood to say the least. Her skin was white...though stained with blood, her hair was just as white as her body. However her skin was soaked with blood and sweat, just as her hair was. Ouch? Was that all she was able to say?! This was insane to say the least. The woman was...quite alive? He couldn't believe it, he really couldn't. Unless...she wasn't a native to Connlaoth...and she was...special. The thought crossed his mind but...for the time being he had to focus on...on something. He didn't even know what.

"It...wouldn't be too hard?" It was a question of course, because he thought it would be but...if she wasn't then the biggest question was...what was she?

The sharply dressed bard noticed that her wounds, what he could see of them were healing over. Was that even possible? For a moment he bit his bottom lip as he thought about. He was a shapeshifter. This was very possible.

"I uh...yeah okay..." He stood up and went to the axe handle, placing both hands on the axe blade as he quickly yanked the axe from her body, tossing it aside onto the ground beside them. He noted that her body was actually...healing. The skin was knitting itself together and the blood was being...sucked back into her body. He could even hear her bones within her body fixing and mending themselves. He decided that the best thing to do would be...to probably pull the arrows from her body. She had quite a few bolts and arrows in her, and he carefully plucked them out, it was obvious she'd be able to handle the procedure.

"Uhm...I'm...I'm Ode...you ah...You're in the wrong place for a person with magic aren't you?" Ode asked her as he inspected one bolt that he pulled from her body. The blood...there wasn't any. Alright, she was very special. This was...this was very special. "What about your limbs...you seem to be uh...mending yourself so uhm...do they grow back or...do I need to go and grab them?" You had to be careful in this situation. She had just killed Mage hunters, and so had he...so this was very dangerous. He could be...accused of being one. That wouldn't be good at all.

"Gods I hope they didn't have any friends."

Anonymous

Perish's body simply just absorbed all the blood crusted onto her as she focused a little, all the injuries were quite tiresome not to mention awkward.  It was quite the relief for the axe to be removed, the blood leaped off the blade as it left her body, but it didn't feel any less weird, her lower half was barely attached right now.
Though as she was concentrating on speeding up the regeneration of the axe wound, she jumped a little when she felt one of the many bolts pulled out of her.  It was a little surprising as she hadn't actually asked for him to help with the bolts, she looked at him a little curiously at first, wondering what compelled him to do as such.

"...Thanks," Perish said sincerely, helping to pull out a few of the bolts and arrows while her wound healed.  The missing limb was getting annoying, she wasn't letting it regenerate because she had a perfectly good arm a few feet from her, she just needed her leg to finish repairing itself.
The man was introducing himself, so Perish naturally returned the courtesy.

"I'm Perish, I was just wandering and these hunters decided to attack me.  I'm not entirely sure where I am, but it doesn't seem very friendly," Perish replied, sitting up slowly when the axe wound was finished healing, pulling the last few bolts out before looking around for her arm.

"My limbs?  No it's alright, I can get them," Perish assured, getting her feet under her in preparation to stand, before looking at Ode curious, "Aren't you... afraid of me, or something like that?  Apparently I'm not normal, most people don't like me for it."

She had met a great many people who shunned and hated her for what she had become, she didn't hate them in return, in fact she didn't do a thing in return unless they actually attacked her, like those hunters.
Ode appeared to be a nice person, he didn't attack her and hasn't yet, he even helped out a little, and that was all Perish needed to trust him.

She merely crawled over and picked up the dismembered arm, holding it in the right place for a moment as the bones and muscles rapidly reconnected, flesh wove back together and blood disappeared back into her blood stream.
After all that it had barely looked like she had been in a fight at all, she didn't look tired, all the blood on her was gone, she no longer had a single injury, merely a few discrepancies in her armour that told of a battle.
Perish turned as she looked around, she could have sworn there was another archer...

"I think one might have gotten away, maybe he'll bring friends?" Perish said a little vacantly.

Anonymous

"Perish that's...an interesting name. No you're in a place where uh...people with magic and what not are rather hated. You're lucky you aren't at the capital city." Perish. That could have just been a nick name right? He really hoped that it was something like that, or it was just...a name. For a moment he wondered if her name was Perish Plague Death Toll. That would have been awkward and hilarious. He continued to help her with pulling bolts and arrows from her body, trying his best not to hurt her but...at the same time...she had said 'Ouch' after all was said and done to her.

"What? No I...I mean you're a little intimidating sure but...I can't see why I should be afraid of you." He told her with a straight face. He wasn't too afraid of her, granted she had just killed everyone, and her body was knitting and healing itself together but...he was a shape shifter and patented a form that was half giant eagle, one fourth Octopus and one fourth lion. It was a crazy looking creation but it was his crazy creation.

He wanted to help her get to her...missing limbs but...she seemed to be quite able to handle the whole thing. So he simply let her go, he honestly couldn't believe what was going on. HOwever, something was really...prodding at his brain, at his mind. He barely even heard her as she talked about the missing archer. There was a song brewing in his mind, that's all there was to it. "Huh? Oh uh...yeah he might...we...er...I mean if you want to have a bit of company. Ahem. We should get away from here." Ode told her as he stood to look toward the hill he had come from. Hrm. That was probably not a good way to go...OH! His lute!

Quickly he ran back to the hill and retrieved his lute before he walked back to the strange woman. "Dark lady...dark lady...she just fights on...dark lady, dark lady...you may have the brains but she has the brawn. Dark lady, dark lady, you walked into battle, dark lady, you cut them down like cattle...dark lady...dark lady...her wounds were once great...dark lady...dark lady...what's in store with your fate.." His voice was sing-song as he strummed out this new song, quickly putting it into his memory. Yes, that would do nicely! Hah!

"Oh ahm...I'm sorry...I'm a bard so...when the moment strikes me I like to write a song. We should really go however...probably head...that way." He told her as he pointed what he assumed was south. He was almost completely sure it was south. South would get them the hell out of this country, which would be a bad place to stay in. "So...Perish should we er...get out of here as soon as possible?"

Anonymous

Perish shrugged, agreeing with Ode, as she really didn't know why people hated people, there was only ever one person she hated, and it was for a very good reason.  Of course that person was basically erased from existence by Perish now...
It did make her curious as to why people could spontaneously produce emotions on demand, it seemed so strange and unnecessary, Perish had only ever seen emotions as a courtesy, with the rare exception to the rule here and there.

As she went to stand up and properly thank the man, he'd suddenly run off, causing Perish to raise an eyebrow in confusion, wondering if she had done anything.  But he promptly came back with a strange instrument in his hands and singing a tune she hadn't heard before.  A bard it seems, a rather odd profession but it wasn't like she could judge, it was either she was a dark knight or she just plain didn't have a profession, either prospect wasn't all that impressive.
The singing intrigued her though, a song about a dark lady, how could he make a song so quickly?  It was amazing in her opinion, she tilted her head slightly as she watched Ode.

"You can... make songs just like that...?" Perish asked, examining his lute for a moment, more interested in his profession than whatever the archer may be bringing back with him.  He'd wrote a song about their meeting just like that, she didn't know why or how, but it was somehow comforting.
Though, Ode quickly reminded her about the potential danger they were in, and she just looked around as if rather lost.

"I... don't know... should we?  I never know what to do, I never had a reason to do anything," Perish said with a shrug, putting her sword away and picking up her helmet, "What do you think we should do, Ode?"
She personally didn't care what happened, if they stayed there she'd just have to kill a dozen more hunters, if they moved then she wouldn't, but it didn't bother her to lose a few limbs again and kill a few more people.  Though she'd probably end up following Ode anyway, if she had nothing better to do she'd just follow whatever interested her like some incredibly impulsive person, but it wasn't really impulse in her case, more a lack of everything else to do.

Anonymous

Ode could spin volumes on the subject of hate. He had stories and songs full of hate, ones that spoke of heroism and honour, but if you really assessed the situation, it was all just hate. The hate of one creature, of one race, and the 'valiant' tales of trying to bring peace through genocide. No, Ode could spend thirty years on people's hate and animosity for life, and on some level it almost sickened him. Humans could be the worst offenders, and it surprised him. They had about a hundred years, and about seventy of them could they actually think cognitively and be without their parents or an aide so they don't hurt themselves or wander off when their memory fails them.

No, their hate was silly and unnatural. Something evil burned inside their hearts. Oh that sounded like a good song, he'd have to remember it!

"It's why I'm a bard, Perish, I can see the music as it flows." He told her enigmatically, a mysterious smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. "I'll refine the tune later, but for a first draft it isn't bad at all." She had been the perfect subject for a song honestly. A mysterious lady that wore Knights armour, dark like the shadows of night, a woman whose wounds healed themselves, and whose limbs could be pulled off but would sew themselves back on like so many wish a child's doll could.

She was a very good subject for a song.

He was surprised when she asked him what to do. Was she a lost soul, wandering without purpose? He wouldn't believe it, everyone had a purpose! His purpose was to sing and share the stories that he heard and the songs that he wrote. "Well...I'd say south. We go south, and we get out of Connlaoth, unless you want to try murdering the entire country." He actually sounded amused by the entire concept, but he was wary. "This place out here might seem easy sure, but I hear tales of Reajh having....some wicked power that halts magic. Fireballs sputtering into death and lightning bolts crackling away into nothingness. I'm not so interested in discovering if these rumours and stories are true." Ode told her honestly as he shuddered at the very thought of it.

"So best possible course for a couple of people like us, is south!" That was it, it was truly and finally declared. Clapping her on the armoured shoulder he pointed in the direction that he was almost one hundred percent sure was south. It felt downhill. Not...literal downhill, but for whatever reason, travelling south ALWAYS felt like it was downhill. He liked that about the direction. If you felt lazy...just go south. One day he'd find out why. He began to strum his lute once more as he started off in that direction, beckoning with a gesture of his head for her to follow. He didn't walk fast, not knowing the extent of how well she could walk in her armour.

He didn't want to leave this woman behind after all!

Anonymous

This man was interesting to say the least, he didn't run away or stab her or anything like so many people have tried, it was incredibly uncomfortable either way, she didn't like being feared, it made others unhappy.  Not too mention she wasn't all that fond of being impaled every so often but it didn't entirely bother her.
Music had always been a subject of interest to Perish, while she couldn't completely understand its purpose as it was generally used to evoke emotion, but it was a curiously little mixture of words and a tune pleasant to the ears.  It was like the musician distilled the essence of something, anything, and infused it into a song that they could share with everyone, and they could tell it anyway they liked.

She'd never actually properly met a bard before, she'd been to enough taverns and places to listen to them, but she'd never had a reason to randomly go up and talk to them so she'd never met one.

Perish looked back over the valley as Ode brought up the random notion to murder the country, like all ideas, she didn't just discard the thought even though it was absurd or reckless.
"I don't know, should I murder the entire country?" Perish wondered aloud, partly a question to Ode that was strangely lacking in sarcasm or any of the sort, like she was seriously asking if she should try it.
Of course she had no idea why should try it or want to try it, but that had never stopped her before, she'd jumped off a cliff before because someone wondered what was down there.
A hand clapped onto her pauldron and she jumped a little, turning back to look at Ode as he declared they should go south, so it seemed murdering the country was out of the question.  She paused for a moment to look back at the mess she'd made of the hunters, her sword was definitely not an orthodox weapon.
She looked back at Ode and saw him already walking off, playing his lute again, Perish jumped, rushing after him quickly at first, not wanting to get left behind.

"So what's south that's best for people like us?" Perish inquired, yet now that she thought about it after saying it, how were the two of them similar in anyway to be referred to as members of the same group?  People here hated magic, therefore Perish should be the only one in danger, so it would technically be best for her to go south.
Ode didn't look strange like her, he was a bard, interesting but not strange, she wondered if he was hiding anything and for what reason if he was, she personally had no idea why she should keep things secret unless someone tells her to.

Anonymous

Being a bard was rather rewarding. If it wasn't just for all the songs and stories you got to write and hear, it was the company you got to keep. Ode never turned down company, and he would admit in the back of his mind, he'd never turn away from female company. Oh no, as a bard, and a shapeshifter, that was pretty much ingrained into his system. He'd never admit it of course, for fear that he might get himself hurt physically. No it would be best not to say anything along those lines.

At the same time though, he had tried to be helpful, and it had seemed like she had needed help. If it ever came up he'd remind her he didn't know she was a female until after he took the helmet off. Yeah, that was safe.

Ode looked at the woman sharply. That was a question. That hadn't been sarcastic or it hadn't been a playful question. She didn't seem capable of the latter...or even the former actually. She'd never make it anyways, once she got to Reajh, and if the stories he had heard about the strange power there to stop magic, she'd no doubt end up being killed rather quickly. She appeared to have magical abilities, people just didn't suck blood and knit skin and tendons back together. No no, she was surely a very magical person, and a very serious person. It was probably best to vacate this area. If she was right, and an archer had gotten away, he'd bring friends, and they'd try to track them. He prayed they weren't any good either. Though, if need be...he could just become a horse, but he really didn't like the idea of carrying someone in all that armour. He'd have to become a war horse and the prospect was...not inviting.

Walking wouldn't hurt her.

"Lands where we won't be oppressed. Open fields and forests, cities where we won't be looked at oddly. Well...you might...with all that...dented and ripped armour." Ode however was pretty sure that people would be looking more at curiosity than anything. "Serendipity, Adela...Sehra plains, the Moraki Desert...Essyrn...places where we can be free you know? Places where I don't have to disguise myself all the time like a biped and I can stretch myself out into the form of a big cat or an eagle..." His voice, and his eyes, were distant as he spoke of being an eagle. Oh just the idea of being able to fly set his soul alight.

"That's what's in the south for us though Perish. A much better place than Connlaoth. Not all the inhabitants are really bad people....they're just...not fond of magic. It's evil to them, people who use it are evil in their eyes, stained I guess. I'm not one for spending a lot of time here and discovering why. If anything I'll avoid this place like it was full of the plague." Yeah, a plague of ignorance. He'd almost written an unkind song about Connlaoth, but thought better of it. There were sometimes some very interesting prospects in Connlaoth, and so long as he took care not to let them know he was a shapeshifter, he could always come back. After all, he was human! At least in their eyes.

"So what's your story Dark Lady? Why the...strange powers and the dark armour?"

Anonymous

It was almost funny how careless Perish was, she could have been doing something incredibly, incredibly important a few minutes ago, maybe she had something to do in this valley?  Regardless if the entire country's fate rested in her hands, she could forget about it in an instant.
It almost seemed more like freedom, completely and absolutely free in the fact she didn't have any anxiety on doing something regardless of what it was, though on occasion she may be reluctant if it hurts someone.

But as a general rule of thumb, if it kept her interested long enough she could probably doing anything, like this bard for example, how long she followed him around was going to completely depend on if she found him interesting or if he told her to.  Quite simple really.

He really did have the flair for being a bard, they way he could talk things up like he just did, explaining the lands in such glorious expressions, she'd probably be interested for quite awhile.
She wasn't really used to the idea of oppression, oppression usually related to people taking away your free will in someway or another, Perish didn't exactly possess enough free will to be oppressed.  And the concept of open fields and forests didn't make a real lot of sense to her either, Ode was clearly for the idea like it was a good thing, so she just went along with that.

Ode finally said something that gave Perish a rather solid hint about him, becoming an eagle or some such, that was far from normal so he must have some kind of power that would technically put Ode and her in the same group, both needing to get out of the country.  She didn't really question him about it, she was pretty sure what he was, though it was still a small little battle in her head between curiousity and carelessness, carelessness won in the end since there wasn't much ammunition for curiousity.

"I'm quite used to people looking at me oddly, or throwing things at me.  I look evil enough to warrant scorn, well, apparently anyway, I have no idea what evil is," Perish said, looking at one of her black gauntlets, quite angular and aggressively designed, the finger tips were pointed enough to be weapons of their own with enough force.
Though when she thought about it, south did appear to be a better place in one respect anyway, most people probably wouldn't try to kill her, it made her uncomfortable and a little sore when people tried.

She pondered on Ode's question for a moment, her story wasn't something she told people, purely because no one had actually asked before.  She guessed most people were too busy shunning her or being afraid of her to even be interested.
So she gathered up what pieces of her memory she could and attempted to put them in place.

"My story... It's got a few holes in it, but it sort of begins with a farmer woman, and her husband..." Perish began, her thoughts slowly mulling over each part of her memories as she recalled them,
"My husband, he was... destroyed... by a rider in black, the rider stank of death and decay, he had strange, twisted abilities.  In time, I learned those abilities, I practised his power, I gave up almost everything for them so I could get revenge.  Vengeance does strange things to people... I never actually wanted these powers before," Perish said, looking down at herself, ruined armour and all, "The armour was one of the rituals I learned, I don't think it's even made of iron, everytime I do the ritual it kinda just heals up like my body does. It's like the metal is dead somehow."
"I needed armour and weapons to kill the rider, else he could have left me in several pieces across the countryside," Perish explained, picking at one of the holes in her armour idly as she followed Ode along.
She hesitated a bit at first, but she figured it was her due, and she her curiousity was vastly spurred by her interest, so she worked up the will to ask.

"What about your story?  Why did you come and rescue a 'Dark Lady'?  Aren't I evil to you?  I just killed five people and I don't even care, aren't... people supposed to care...?" Perish inquired, she could never be sure of these things, she didn't understand the living in the slightest, why they didn't kill people who deserved it, why scratched out a living with such a miserable life, the whole concept of desperately attempting to continue living.
She knew desperation, sometimes she wanted to help someone or keep someone happy so bad and was failing slowly, but relating it to trying to live seemed hard to understand.
Maybe it was just because she didn't have to even try, to survive, most poor people fought to put food in their stomachs, Perish didn't even need to eat.  It could probably explain a lot of things, but it wouldn't help her understand any better, thus was useless to her.

Anonymous

((Whew, this might be a bit of a long post))

Ode was a bit of a dramatic person, he had a flair for that sort of thing and it came with the territory. He had to be good with painting pictures and instilling ideas in people's minds, or else he might have to turn into a stray cat and search trash cans for food. The good thing was that he wouldn't need to eat a whole lot of food, but still...eating from trash cans wasn't a pleasant experience.

Ode of course wasn't trying to exactly hide what he was, but he didn't want to really...share it. They were still in danger after all, not the greatest of dangers but they were still in some sort of danger. If it got to be really bad he could take to the sky, become a gryphon or something along those lines, they were big and strong enough to carry a person, even a full suited knight really.

Something to think about.

"Evil is subjective, not really a worry." He was right about that, evil was subjective. If ninety nine out of a hundred people said something was evil, then it was evil. Unfortunately the idea of good and evil were passed down in different areas and are ingrained in a person's mind. They are passed down in society and the rules and laws of a nation can often cause a person to understand the concept of right and wrong, of good and evil. Religions were also notorious for it, as well as superstitions. That was unavoidable, and if you went to different countries, you'd find it to be true.

There was no unification, and that would end in disaster.

Ode carefully listened to Perish's story, rather interested in the tale actually. She had a story of love lost, of revenge, of ultimate vengeance, of success, and of consequences. That was the part that people loved to hear about. After all she did to avenge her husband, she ended up twisted...no...altered by this power. She was stuck with the armour, even after she killed the Dark Rider who had changed her life. He actually felt sorry for her, she seemed to have had such a nice life, and she was no doubt a lot more personable and...he didn't want to say intelligent, but less reckless and...innocent almost? She was naive, impulsive perhaps, even more so if she had gone to these lengths to avenge her husband.

He wasn't sure what to call it, but she just seemed like she was vacant...empty almost.

Idly, in the back of his mind, he did think about the fact that she was single now. The natural desire to woo and bed the lady however was overuled by several hundred years of bard instinct. Probably for the best.

"Myself? Well...let's answer one question at a time. As I said, Evil is subjective. You looked like you were in trouble, and Knights usually are upstanding folk, so for the five people to be attacking a knight, it's usually best to help the Knight. And when I say the word Dark, I don't mean it in any sense but the fact that your armour is a dark colour. As for whether or not you should care, it all depends on what you think, not what I think. Some people can't care...that's just how they are. After all, a Knight who fights for a cause, who fights for what they believe in, will probably not care after he beheads several people. It all depends on how you view them right?" The arguement was a long standing one, and it could back for generations. A crusade after all was a holy war usually, and the people involved would never feel bad killing a heathen. A knight sworn to a king would kill the King's enemies without a second thought.

Everything depended on the individual and a bit of circumstance really.

"But that's a debate that I could talk on for hours. As a bard, I have many tales and many songs about such things, of battles fought and won, of disputes great and small, and of people heroic and villainous." Ode was smiling as he told her this, he enjoyed company, and as anyone could see he wasn't a fool, he had quite an intellect, and he had quite a mouth. He was perfect for being a bard.

"Now on to your last question...which was your first question. You wanted to know my story. Well...I'll keep it as clean as I can, but there have been quite a grouping of sordid affairs and romantic soirées." Ode told her with a slight grin on his face as his fingers strummed along the lute's strings. He wouldn't deny his past, and his somewhat insatiable lust. "Ahem. I was born in a place I only know as the Connection Point. It was a very nice little place actually, it connected other worldly energies into a sort of...room that you could venture into and move from one world to another. The magic there, after simply culminating had eventually spawned me and a rather large group of people. Depending on the person, the room appears different. I saw a rolling grassland, of brilliant valleys and streams that stretched into the endless beyond. Venturing around the connection point I stumbled into a river...which incidentally had been a line of serious energy. I ended up plopping out from a river in this world, naked as the day I had been created." He did so like his story, it was a rather nice tale, if the person liked this sort of thing of course.

"I learnt that with all my creation and all the magic that had coursed through my body after falling into the energy stream, I could...cahnge myself. I could go into any form I saw fit, I could change my clothing at will, I could add minute or major details to any form I took, and I could even alter some of the abilities of the forms. However, I did enjoy a human body, and I still don't know why. Perhaps from the time in the Connection Point. At any rate, I happened upon one day, as I pretended to be a finch, a man who was playing a most wondrous pipe flute. I was enchanted by the thing, by the beautiful tune he could create. I followed him back to a city, where I turned myself into a human and went to him in a bar. He was a bard, and I listened to his tales with amazement. A burning fire in my heart was lit that night, and I went to him, asking to train me. Years passed, and he taught me everything he knew. He challenged me to think differently, to not get bothered and burdened by such silly things. He was truly an enlightening and enigmatic fellow. We parted ways, and I began my trade as a wandering minstrel. I went to many places, watched cultures evolve, and quite enjoyed some of the more...finer aspects of being a bard...and a shape shifter." The last bit was said with a bit more of an arousing tone that he meant something a little more...naughty than anything.

"So now you find me here, with you, wandering and winding my way back down into the south." There was a lot more to his story no doubt, he obviously had lived quite a while, but really it was never good to give away the entire story just like that. No you had to draw people into it, make them ask questions, make them think and talk about it, leave them wanting more. Always leave them wanting more.

Anonymous

Perish walked beside Ode in silence as she patiently listened every word he said, regardless of what he said.  She was a very good listener by now, a few decades of loneliness and isolation certainly dampened her ability to talk to others, but she did listen.  And what was more, Ode was a very good talker, there was no denying he was a bard, even if the instrument in his hands had never existed, there would be no mistaking his colourful words and way of speech.
He seemed to have the wisdom of many ages passed, a level of thinking not often seen in everyday people, if it wasn't clear from his actions around her, it was certainly clear now.

Perish did feel evil in some ways, whose definition she was unsure but she did feel something incredibly wrong with herself, the part people hated and shunned her for, while she'd never committed an act of evil in earnest, she couldn't really say she'd committed an act of good with pure intentions.  She never really had intentions to speak of, except perhaps not to make people unhappy, that was about it for her purpose in life besides vengeance.
Vengeance was an evil notion was it not?  Perish had a feeling that it was, but she never really condemned anything, even the people she killed, she didn't kill them because she believed they deserved to die, but because either someone forced her to or because they had tried to kill her.
Some kind of obedient killing machine that acted in self-defence?

Perish raised an eyebrow, glancing at her armoured self and at Ode as he spoke about her as if she were a knight.  True she did look the part, evil perhaps, but knights were usually the only type to walk around in head-to-toe full plate armour, it was just that she was far from being a knight, and never intended on actually becoming one.

"I did like the sound of becoming a Knight, I was helping my husband train to be one, but I never actually officially became a Knight..." Perish said as she managed recall some of the training sessions she had with her husband on the farm.  They were always heated sessions, she and her husband were quite the pair, their skills increased at the same speed and provided a constant challenge.
She did think on how she viewed people and taking their lives, somehow she had a double opinion, yet in a way there was only one:  She plain didn't care if she killed people.  Though in the depths of her mind she never did actually like making people unhappy, while it did sway her decision on occasion, it didn't stop her from killing anyone without even the bat of an eye.

"I don't actually care who I kill," Perish said a little quietly, as if also talking to herself, she did sound quite evil now, a vengeful, cold-hearted killing machine.  Yet she wasn't killing Ode now was she?  She had absolutely no idea why she functioned as she did, maybe a part of her was still alive, which is why she couldn't understand it?
It'd make sense, but again, not helping her comprehension.

She brightened up a little when Ode spoke of having much more things to talk about, stories were always interesting, and songs were incredible in her opinion.
His story was as interesting as he was, Perish's attention was unmistakeably captured, like she was hypnotised yet not at the same time, she loved hearing things of life, a strange kind of irony to her existence.  She treasured the memories of her life before her fall, such a wonderful and purposeful existence cut short.
Regardless of how many times she recalled her treasured memories, they always inevitably spiralled back to the loss of her husband, a broken image in her mind from her mind's attempt to protect her sanity, but she knew the magnitude of how horrifying it was, and it saddened her.  Every time, without fail, she spiralled back down into misery, a bottomless pit that she often tried to climb the walls of, but there was nothing to climb to any more, and thus she fell time and time again.

His story left her with a lot of questions, some of them she didn't really know how to phrase properly, others she wasn't entirely sure she should ask, fidgeting a little before even asking some of the more normal questions.

"You can change in anything?  What's it like?" Perish asked, a little intrigued.  She kind of knew what it was like to be various animals from her many experiences, though those tales were not for the faint of heart.

Anonymous

"You took a different path, you swore allegiance to a different cause. It may not have been a nation's cause, but it was a cause that you believed in I'm sure." He honestly couldn't say, but if she had gone through hell, had changed and altered herself in the name of vengeance, in stopping the evil that was the dark rider...well, than in some small way she had been a knight. "After all, your intentions were fuelled by revenge, but...if you think about it, you were a good person on the path of evil. You simply...took a turn somewhere and became lost." It happened occasionally. People became obsessed, and in turn that obsession would lead them down strange roads, and soon that would be their life. Maybe that's why she seemed so vacant.

She had gone down and removed her obsession, and now there was nothing for her. She was just a lonely soul, trapped in a dark husk, wandering around on the mortal plane.

That tugged at his heart strings.

"Maybe not on a level that's understood. Maybe it's because you can't really...feel the impact? Murder and removing a life is...special." He hadn't killed before, at least, he hadn't killed a person. He'd hunted rats and mice, he'd eaten fish as predator birds, but he'd never killed another fully sentient human being.

He could tell he had her attention at least, that she had been pulled in and captivated by his story. That was always pleasing to a bard, when a person became hooked on a story or a song. It was just like getting the first mug of ale from a freshly cracked barrel, or stealing the night away with an innocent looking tavern girl. That sense of euphoria from such a simple pleasure, it was unmistakable, and it was utterly enjoyable really.

"Most people can't even begin to imagine." His voice became far away again as he spoke. This particular subject was very close to his heart, and rightly so it was a big part of him. "The change is...painless for me. I don't feel a thing but...when I was in the connection point, I was a male. However, now I have this power, and I'm not limited by gender...the feeling is..." He scratched the side of his head. "It's almost like when a person loses a limb, you hear about how they think it's still there. Well, imagine being you...and suddenly you're a bird. They're anatomy is all different...you have wings...but no arms. It used to be that I thought my arms were still there...and I'd try to use them, only to find nothing happening. You get used to the change...like turning into a cat or a dog, you have no opposable thumb...yet you have the dewclaw, but you still try to grab things like you were a human." He wasn't a shifter in the sense that some people were. They had been born human, and they learned to shift through magical means by someone who knew what they were doing.

At times, he heard of shifters who took on even the personality, with their own being just a slight tinge in the back of their minds. He couldn't imagine it that way.

"But...as a human, there are some things you'll never truly experience. As an eagle or a hawk, several hundred feet above the ground, able to spot a small mouse among the long grass...or being a dolphin in the water, propelling yourself  through the water as if it were nothing in your way. To be something else, another animal, or even to be another person all-together...you feel very small. It makes you humble almost, as you realize what it's like to be something else, to live the life that isn't yours." That was a very accurate way of putting it, though Ode wasn't sure she'd understand. He'd yet to really come to understand his new companion, her abilities and her ways. He wondered, idly, if she would need sleep. He had seen her battle, and he had seen her heal...so it was an altogether good question.

"I must ask...but do you require...sleep? And food? I ask because...I mean I don't really need sleep, but I do need to eat. So I'm hoping that I don't slow you down any by needing to eat...but I do enjoy a good break once in a while, like at a riverside or some such thing." He loved the water, but he loved being cool. He didn't know why, but being beside a cool river side with a gentle wind was probably one of the grandest things in nature. It had to have been the poetic bard side of him.

Anonymous

Ode's words struck very true to Perish, if there was a single thing that she was, it would be lost, lost for a purpose, lost in the world, lost for understanding, just lost in nearly every sense of the word.
She was never actually sure if the burning vengeance and hate she felt for the rider was right or not, whether it had been evil of her to track him down and utterly obliterate him from existence like she had, she truly had no idea except that regardless of it all, she wanted that rider dead.
She knew there was something wrong with snuffing out the life force in another person, putting an end to what could have been a life filled with absolutely anything, limitless possibilities, a life potentially more precious than her current existence, yet like with so many other things, she couldn't quite understand why it was wrong.
It was like her mind didn't even comprehend the magnitude of what she did when she plunged her devilish sword through someone's chest, ending their life prematurely.  Like she had never cared about it before in her whole existence.

Perish attempted to use what imagination she had left to put herself in the world Ode was creating with his words, in an obscure and twisted kind of way she knew almost exactly of what he spoke, it didn't seem quite the same though.  She couldn't really imagine herself being a bird, it sounded... weird... but in an obscure kind of way she did know essentially what being a bird meant, or what he was trying to explain with that situation.  It was almost funny... in a macabre kind of way.

"I know what it's like to lose a limb," Perish spoke up as if she'd done something right or had the answer to some important question, "I've had my arm chopped off a few times, and I've nearly gone to pick it up with the arm I've just lost, it's like that isn't it?"  In a macabre kind of way... -should be added.
"Though I can't say I've tried having wings and no arms at the same time before, I kind of need my arms to get the wings," Perish said conversationally, unintentionally being rather vague on how she was actually able to possess wings.
The claws were also a somewhat new concept to her, she'd never actually tried it before, probably mostly because she hadn't felt the need, the curiousity, nor cared enough to try it.

And she couldn't say she understood much of what Ode said after that, she was kind of something else other than a human, yet a human at the same time, she'd never completely been an animal so she wasn't exactly sure on what he was talking about.
Although, she did kind of know what it was like to live a life that wasn't hers, what she was now and what she was before felt like two seperate lives, they may be connected somehow but they just seemed far too different.
A peace loving woman, strong willed and eternally happy with the man she loved, or a vengeance powered undead, eternally sorrowful almost completely lacking what one could call a will.

She looked at Ode a little curiously as he asked her about food and sleep, but it was more what he said about not wanting to slow her down that was completely lost on her.  To her knowledge it was her following him, so the only person that could be slowed down should be him, shouldn't it?

"Um, no, I don't require anything, I don't even need to breath unless I want to talk.  I suppose I could eat something if I wanted, but it's impossible for me to sleep in anyway," Perish replied, almost seeming to shrink somehow to make herself seem less significant, "You don't have to worry about me unless you don't want me following you.  Take as many breaks as you'd like."
Indeed, she was quite the absent companion, no food, no water, no rest, not even breathing, no desire for fame or fortune, only to help and follow those that interest her.
And right now Ode interested her, he was lively and he didn't want to get rid of her so far, she didn't really understand what there was to enjoy about a break or a river, she never needed a break nor saw a reason for one, and rivers were just obstacles that tended to fill up her boots with water.

There was one thing in the back of her mind that was eating at her, though she really lacked the willpower or confidence to ask it of Ode, it was just she really wanted it but really didn't want to be trouble to Ode.

"...Um... maybe some time... you could... tell some of your tales, and sing some of your songs...?" Perish asked, staring down at her hands as she fidgeted actively, trying to make herself seemed even more insignificant, but she truly was interested in hearing more, music seemed to bring things to life, and stories were always interesting.

Anonymous

He had wondered about her limbs and what happened when she lost one. Ode knew she had some magic after all, and he could only speculate what could happen when she tried to retrieve it. He had never really met anyone who lost their limbs and then went to retrieve them. People....usually died. Still, as he knew, she was special, very special. That was fine by him too. "It is sort of like that yes!" Ode was glad that she was slowly starting to understand what he was talking about. The worst thing was when someone just didn't understand and let the other person blather on. It was insulting, mostly to the person who couldn't understand. A conversation should involve both parties after all, and they should enjoy what's being talked about.

"Really? Well there ain't a thing wrong with that m'dear!" Ode told her with a grin, almost sensing her uneasiness. There was surely some poor self esteem issues which was odd for a person like her. Not that he minded, it was cute really. She was shy, her interaction with people probably wasn't the best anymore, as she had said. People did and said mean things to her, and she didn't quite understand it. She didn't seem to understand hate anymore, despite it having run through her very being for a good amount of time.

Ode was all grins, his eyes bright as she told him that he could take as many breaks as he wanted. "Well that settles it, when we come to the first cool river we're gonna take a small break." He would probably never let her go willingly, she was an interesting person to be around. He also wondered if she could ever revert...if she could be...more human...more alive. Something to think about after they got back to the south. They were still in Connlaoth after all, so he didn't stop for too long, she was very recognizable, and if the archer had seen him then his description was probably going to go around with hers. If they didn't know he was magical, he'd be a sympathizer, which would condemn you just as much.

So a small break would suffice.

"Some time? My dear Perish you're with a bard on a trip that'll probably take several weeks, if not a good month and a half. You won't be able to stop me!" He told her with a light hearted chuckle. No, she'd hear quite a few stories and quite a few songs really. She seemed to really enjoy that, and it was very nice to find an audience.

Ode's hands began to strum along the strings of the lute as he thought of a song to play for her. Well...song was a little rough in the traditional sense really. "Wind dancer...you've figured it out...as I watch you from afar you seem to have an answer, you've got an answer beyond any doubt. Wind dancer I see you so free flying out there...wind dancer you glide so carelessly in the cold light air. I was so young when I saw you and wished I could be equal to. Ohhh wind dancer, wind dancer the one and only, wind dancer I wonder if you're ever lonely? Wind dancer I can keep you safe and warm, wind dancer come in from the winter storm..." Ode's song went on like this for a little longer, praising and talking about the Wind Dancer. It was hard to tell just what the wind dancer was. When his song finally came to an end he looked over at her and grinned.

"I wrote that about a shape shifter who liked to be a hawk. I saw her caught in a storm once, and still she flew amongst the rain and the lightning without fear. Haven't seen her in about a hundred years though." Still, the song was a nice one after all. One thing he had known about her, was you had to get her attention in a hawk or eagle form, she'd ignore most people in human forms. He'd admit, that he had tried his best to get her attention as a hawk, but he had been young, and she wasn't having any of it. A little scorn and humility was actually nice for someone, it helped to keep their head on straight and their feet on the ground so to speak.

"Here's a question for you Perish, do you need to...uh...I mean I don't know how it all works but do you need to bathe or...do you simply not get dirty? Like it's impossible to get dirty?" He could only imagine, he wasn't sure if she sweat, and with her being in that suit of armour he could only imagine what might happen...he was surprised that he wasn't actually asking as a...ahem...pervert either. He was actually interested in, for the fact that in some other forms there was a very good sense of smell. Though yeah, perhaps there was a little bit of...perverse intention in there, only a little.

Anonymous

Very faint happiness had began to fill her the more she spoke with this bard, she actually managed to understand something talked about for once, perhaps not in the same way but it was still the same thing essentially.
Though it was kind of strange, it meant she was kind of happy that she had been able to lose limbs to find out what it would be like, so she knew a little of what it was like to be whatever it was that Ode was.  Truly bizarre.
Most of the time she was completely lost for understanding, while still able to communicate on a basic level she often didn't understand most of what people talked about, it was hard to make sense of something when you couldn't apply it to yourself.
She actually like she was a part of the living for a moment there, being truly able to relate to someone alive.

Was there truly nothing wrong with being what she was?  Was Ode just trying to be nice?  Perish didn't really know, she personally thought there was something wrong with not eating and sleeping and such, not eating or breathing seperated oneself further from the land of the living, it was... strange.
And the sleeping aspect, it tended to make her confused more often than not, being tired usually meant she had taken a lot of damage, which usually fixed itself rather quickly, but everyone could measure of time via their sleeping patterns.
It also tended to rob people of an incredible amount of time, not that it helped Perish, she just had a dozen hours more than everyone else in which to continue her torment of a life, days melded into one never-ending, indistinguishable stream of thoughts.

She nodded in response to Ode's declaration rather obediently, a small break it was, and this valley seemed to have quite a few small rivers about it, a few were a little distant but there was one or two that was near their path ahead that looked adequate.
Though she was rather lost on if the rivers were 'cool' or not, she always felt cold, almost regardless of what she was doing or what the weather was like, a side effect of her state that she just seemed to generate cold.  If she were any colder she'd probably frost up her armour, on particularly hot days people could swear she steamed, rather spooky to see.

"There's a river over there we could take a break at, I'm not sure if its cold, I may be able to cool it down a little though," Perish offered a little hopefully, trying to be helpful.
To her, if she wasn't be at least helpful in some way, she'd feel following someone was a little useless to them, thus it would seem selfish.

Perish managed a very small smile upon hearing the bard would tell her stories and such, while she knew how to smile for courtesy's sake, it was never genuine except for now.  Emotions were usually quite a feat for Perish, nearly impossible unless they're very strong, like some kind of emotional buffer, she rarely if ever felt positive.
It seemed there would be much time to spend, which would be good because Perish wanted to hear everything Ode could possibly tell, it was almost like some kind of drug that made her feel a little more alive, stories and songs seemed to capture the essence of an emotion.

Once more Perish's attention was completely caught by Ode as he played a song, her eyes unfocused a little, and she could almost reach out and touch the energy it produced.  She blinked a few times as the song came to an end, refocusing her eyes and looking at Ode again.

"That song was great," Perish said honestly, still in a bit of a reverie from it, "She didn't actually fear being caught in a storm?  I thought most people were afraid of storms, and lightning.  I mean, lightning's uncomfortable but I don't fear it."
Perish of course didn't understand the fear in storms, and being a walking metal conductor she had been hit a few times by lightning, quite the inconvenience, mildly painful, but mostly uncomfortable, people tended to shy away from people who sizzled and smoked...

Perish pondered on his question for a moment, she never really made a habit of bathing, she also never seemed to smell, her body didn't decompose or produce anything so it probably made sense, but dirt still could get inside her armour and such, so she needed to wash when that happened.
Like all things she didn't see much point in bathing, and she wouldn't have seen much point in washing dirt off if it hadn't been so uncomfortable in her armour.

"Well... I do get dirty, I guess not in the same way living people do, I haven't needed to bathe for hygiene's sake.  I do get rained on every so often though, I don't suppose that counts?" Perish said thoughtfully, the possibility of the question having less tame intentions didn't really occur or matter to her, she just took the question as seriously as she could as she saw no point in not answering it.  Though innocent curiousity was still there.
"Living people need to bathe right?  Do you think maybe I should too?" Perish inquired, the question was quite sincere.

Anonymous

Things didn't always have to make sense, so long as there was a connection, that someone could understand what you meant. Even if it wasn't the way YOU understood it, so long as as you both had some understanding of it then there was nothing to worry about. Ode only worried that she wouldn't understand, and that she might get upset by the whole thing. He really didn't know what the woman might do, after all she talked about how she was different, and her personality was very stoic...it was usually the quiet ones that could be deadly after all.

Still, she seemed to have some interest in him so he was sure that he was moderately safe. If she couldn't shoot lightning bolts from her finger tips or throw fireballs then really he could probably just become a bird and fly away. Still, he didn't see her as becoming violent toward him. He wasn't sure he could make her upset or he could get on her nerves. Hell, he wasn't even sure that any of the more despicable acts toward her would constitute any sort of reaction. Really, that was almost terrifying, and Ode decided that it would be prudent not to try anything. That would be taking advantage of someone, and he wasn't one to do that sort of thing.

Consent was a fine thing, and could be a challenge in some cases after all.

"Excellent! I'm sure in this valley it will be quite nice. Don't worry about the temperature, because I can handle such things rather easily. It's the shape shifter thing. Though I thank you for the offer, and rest assured if it isn't cold enough I'll ask." He did appreciate it, and though he wasn't sure if he would need it, still, he didn't want her to feel like she would be useless.

He was very happy to have her full attention, to have her watching him and listening so closely to his song. He did like this song actually, it was one of the first that he had written and been inspired to write. The storm that night had been quite a fearsome one, but she still braved it despite everything. He almost wished that she still was around, that she hadn't gone down far south. Still...there was nothing that he could do now, he only had his song, and that did help to comfort him really.

Ode smiled and bowed to her as she praised his song, walking even still though without missing a beat.  "She was unafraid...I think she felt so close to the world and to the storm itself that nothing in it could harm her. Nothing did as far as I saw, but I lost sight of her after several leagues." Still, it had been one beautiful light show really. He had quite enjoyed every minute of it.

"Well...in a way it sort of does but not completely." It was just rain after all, she needed to have a soap cake in the very least to ensure that she was truly clean. Though he did suppose that even without it, just getting into water and a bit of scrubbing might work. He'd have to investigate her smell when he turned into something with an acute sense of smell.

"Hmm...that'll be interesting. I'll have to check when I'm something with a good sense of smell, like a cat, or a mouse, or something like that. Honestly, you don't smell too bad...though...there's a bit of an armoury...metallic smell but that's the armour I'm sure...if you're wearing clothes under that...and I'm almost sure you are...I bet it's the clothing too. THOSE are what will need to be cleaned then as well." It was all a matter of circumstance. "Have you ever thought of...not wearing armour? I mean...can you even leave it somewhere or will it just...materialize back onto you? Or does it pass a curse onto people?" She would stick out in that armour, it was recognizable, and with it being able to heal itself...well...there was just some trouble.

Anonymous

It was kind of strange, walking alongside a living being as if one of them, not a real lot in common yet Perish could almost remember what it was like before her fall in damnation.  Only when she was alive, she was such a different person it was like she almost completely changed when the dark energies touched her soul, Ode had the will to do things he wanted to do, and in her previous life so did she.  Right now she just wanted to make sure she didn't scare Ode off, though for all her desires she'd probably go against them out of carelessness and recklessness, she had a habit of coming across as being incredibly creepy.

The concept of shape shifting did sound intriguing to Perish, going from one thing to completely another, something she had never experienced before, perhaps in small doses but not entirely.  The ability to change into something completely new, as if Perish might be able to change into something that people might accept, that she might be able to mingle with the living once more.
But of course her body would not allow such transfiguration, the powers that regenerated her would keep attempting to turn her back into exactly what she was at the moment of her fall, which is why she never, ever looked different, her features imprinted in time itself.
"Do people shun you when they find out what you are?  Throw rocks are you and such?  Fear you?" Perish inquired curiously, trying to figure out more about Ode, what kind of life he led in comparison to hers.
She could accurately guess it was a hell of a lot happier than hers, the same could be said for a lot of people but Ode wasn't like a lot of people, being one of the very few that didn't just throw her aside like some evil creature that she appeared to be.

At first she looked a little blankly at herself, bringing a gauntlet up to her nose to smell.
The metallic tang instantly filled her nose with the slight scent of dirt and sweat from the recent battle, though since she didn't actually sweat it was obviously from one of the hunters she killed.  Sweating obviously required water, Perish didn't drink so it kind of made sense, though it was also used to cool the person down and Perish didn't really need any help in that respect...

"I suppose I've been in this armour for the better part of my life, I've never actually found much of a reason to take it off unless sand or something has gotten inside, I put it on out of habit," Perish mused, thinking hard across her lifetime since the first day she made the armour, "There's nothing real special about the armour except that it has been made by necromantic power, I could get rid of it if I wanted, but shouldn't I wear armour?"
She didn't actually see a point in wearing armour, like most things, but something compelled her to put it back on each time.  Perish looked at the question again and wondered if Ode had meant something by it.
"Did... did you want me to take my armour off?" Perish asked in all sincerity, looking at Ode inquiringly as she rested her hands on a pair of clasps on the sides of her torso plate.  She was naive to a fault like that, ending up in a strange kind of careless obedience that was just asking for trouble.

Anonymous

Ode was very interested in Perish. She had a sort of...well he wasn't sure what she had, but he felt compelled to help her. Her ways were simple, and that was something he could appreciate. He was just as simple really, his needs weren't very hard to satisfy. He could relate to her style of thought honestly, and it was refreshing actually. He liked to find people that he clicked with. Despite what people might call faults, he just saw them as quirks, and he liked them. Everyone had faults after all, and some they couldn't help, they shouldn't be scorned for that. It would be terribly unfair, it really would.

Ode rubbed the back of his neck as she asked her question. "That...all depends really. I mean...no one really fears me...there are some who are superstitous of shape shifters. That comes fromt he fact that they think I might steal their soul if I take their form. Some just don't like the idea of me being able to impersonate high ranking officials or trusted guards and the like. I don't think...I've ever gotten rocks thrown at me though..." Ode could remember a couple of arrows being shot his way but they hadn't really been meant to kill him. At least he hoped they hadn't honestly.

"Ah well...see that's sort of like...round logic. You wear armour to protect you, but you get attacked because of your armour, so you wear armour. You gotta break that circle of yours." If she got rid of the armour, she might actually be able to have some form of normal life. She wouldn't be completely normal, those afraid of necromantic powers may very well be...well, afraid and angry at her but...otherwise she'd probably survive easily!

Ode actually had to do a double take when she asked him that question. He couldn't believe what he was hearing! Did she actually ask him that? He had to remmber that she was in a different state of mind than everyone else. She may very well have realized what she was saying, but he couldn't honestly be sure.

"Ah ah!" He moved his hands to hers, gently pulling them away from the armour clasps. Luckily his lute had a strap on it and it simply fell to his side and hung there. "Now that could have been...I'm really still going to hope you've got clothes of some sort under your armour...but around someone like me...you have got to watch your words. Asking a bard if he wants you to take your clothes off...that's a bad idea. That really is. Well...no it can be good but in this particular situation as we're trying to get away from a magic murdering country it is a bad thing to ask." He can't believe that he had to have a conscience at a time like this. He would have to be the one to show some moral upstanding.

It was...absolutely hilarious. He might have to actually write a small poem about this.

"We gotta go over a couple of uh...ground rules I think." Ode told her quietly as he let go of her hands. "That sort of question you ask in more intimate situations. You have to absolutely be careful with what you say. Asking someone if they want you to take your clothes off...that's not appropriate for anything but an intimate sexual situation. " That really was the big thing. "You just have to be careful with what you ask. You've observed a lot of people after all, so try to base what would be appropriate off of what you can recall from watching people. Just don't go off of the violent people who throw rocks or try to kill people...you know what, if you're unsure just ask me." But she was on the right track. She did need that armour off.

"I've got to ask you something serious now though. I want you to think about it, and don't answer right away either Perish. Do you want to change your life? Because I can help you change." Ugh, there was a lot of double entendre, but he was happy that she probably didn't catch that sort of thing. "Think it over. If you want to fit in but still be an individual, to have people stop throwing rocks and chopping limbs off...to have everyone fear you." Ode looked to her, his eyes staring at her face to try and honestly figure out what she might want. He wanted to help, and he wanted to stick around such an interesting individual.

He still couldn't believe the armour question.

"I would like to help you, to adapt and to...find a purpose again Perish. You've lost it after you found revenge, and now you wander without a purpose. We've got to find you again." And Ode could not believe how good of a story this would make as well. A chance encounter, a hero who lost her way, the darkness overtaking, she wanders lost in the void that is her life, her revenge having been complete she fell from life, from a purpose, and now she must find herself again. She must climb up from the darkness and get back into the light.

Oh yes...this chance encounter was leading to quite a time.