Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

House of Thorns [open/pm to join!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 11, 2016, 06:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

[PM if you wanna join! 8D I don't bite!]

You know a hare won't be enough, the voice whispered in Sadb's ear, lover-close, as she pulled the dead rabbit free of the thorny vines that had entangled it, the vines shifting and uncoiling like a living thing by her command. Sadb grit her teeth. The fae didn't have to remind her. It had been months since a person had visited her house of thorns, and she could feel the fae growing restless, dissatisfied with animal tributes and her own meager blood offerings. The thorns were growing thirsty.

"You said animal was enough."

I did, the fae answered, but I've grown bored.

Sadb felt like throwing the rabbit, if there was anything to throw it at--and if it wouldn't damage the pelt. Instead, she just held it by the ears and headed, stiff-backed, outside, the vines parting as she walked to allow her passage as she traveled through the labyrinth of her creation. "Bored, hm?"

Yes. You're boring. You've been very boring lately. Sometimes, it was easy to forget the fae was ancient and dangerous when she took such a petulant tone. You haven't visited any villages in aaages! And no one's come to visit us! Animal just isn't the same. It's not as rich. If you don't snare a human soon, you may soon be snared instead.

And the vines closed in around Sadb then, swinging down to block her passage and pressing in until she could feel the prick of thorns through her clothes. And though Sadb's breath caught, her heart leaping as a chill went through her, she swallowed down her fear and made a point of rolling her eyes. Fae were like animals; they smelled fear.

"Don't be so dramatic. I get it, trust me," she said, and with a flick of her hand the vines receded and she ducked on through the passage and into the bright light of day. "You need to learn a little patience, you know."

I've been patient, and it's been months, the fae pouted. I want human this month. And this month I will get it. And then, just like that, Sadb felt it as the fae receded from her mind and went off to wherever it was she went, leaving her, for a moment at least, in peace.

With a relieved sigh, to have her mind to herself, Sadb went to her fire pit--which was empty--and sat down beside it where she could work on gutting and skinning and cooking the rabbit. Its fur had gotten a little too damaged from the thorns to be worth salvaging, she found, but its meat would still be good. About the one good thing about the fae was she never hungered; her thorns sprouted blossoms, and the sweet smell attracted animals. There was never a shortage of beasts killed in the vines.

And as she worked, she found the rabbit was, like all other creatures killed there, bloodless.

Even though she had grown accustomed to it, it was still as eerie as the first time she'd realized it.

With the animal skinned and gutted, Sadb rose to her feet and walked the short distance to the stream to clean her knife and hands, her fingers growing numb against the cold water.  It was a beautiful day, the wind constant but not so biting, the sun warm, the land rich and green. And yet, here she was. Just another day nursing a bloodthirsty fae.

Just another day both hoping for another person to come on by, and wishing they would stay away.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Mephistel

It was just another day, another boring day with nothing much to do. The young thin man was walking, looking at his feet, he looked bored, as if the whole world had nothing worth offering him. His hair falling over grey empty eyes. He pushed a thread of hair away, looking annoying. Biting his own lips as he was trying to think about something to do.

To be honest, Prince was completely lost. He had gone from the last village and up the forest, but it had already been a week and no sign of the next village or city...or anything! Just trees, stupid trees with nothing but small annoying animals. Oh, he had killed his share, out of boredom. Strangling some, carving words into their skulls with his knife.

He had eaten some of them because he didn't had anything left to eat, but others, he had just kill for pleasure or as target practice, leaving the fresh corpse behind. He didn't really care. Adjusting the small diadem on his head, he kept walking, sighing along the way. He had almost broken a nail! Well, the nail had nothing but the black paint over it was scraped. To him, it was almost as if the world was coming to an end...it actually seemed worst. The end of the world didn't bother him much.

Eventually, he made his way to a small stream, where he saw someone. He almost jump out of joy, but nothing showed on his face. This was the first person he had seen in a week, and it looked like a human girl. He walked toward her, his thin looking figure making him look like a girl, not to say the jewelry he was wearing didn't help the mistake.

-Oh...Hello there!-

He said, with a grin as he tilt his head on the side, looking at her from the shade of his eyes.

DaGlobster

Hollies, wolfsbane, parsley...

Crembor sifted through the patch of herbs that grew alongside a log halfway interred into the riverbank. He'd been stooped over for the better part of ten minutes, cane stabbed into the ground so it wouldn't fall down into the mud.

He knew there were fae about in this area, and he knew what the protocols for dealing with them were. He was a ghoul Sire, a creature of immense dark power, so the fae left him alone if he did them the same courtesy.

Fine by him.

He'd just finished picking the herbs when he heard a voice ahead call out a greeting. Crembor spared a glance from behind the trunk, just quick enough to see that a couple of human looking folk had turned up before ducking back behind it.

He could smell the blood on the woman's hands from where he crouched. It was fresh, incredibly so. Yet he decided to wait it out.

Rhindeer

Sadb had been stooped over the water, scrubbing at her stained hands, when a voice called out in greeting--and alarm and fear and excitement in equal parts jolted down her spine like an electric shock. She shot upright in a flash, hand gripping her knife, and flashed it out in front of her as a warning as she took a wary step back.

Be careful what you wish for, she thought grimly as she stared at the approaching person, sharp eyes taking in their strange clothes, their pale hair and skin. She couldn't tell if they were a man or a woman, their looks androgynous, but it didn't make a difference to her.

"Stay back!" she called out, a sudden fear seizing her--fear for herself, and fear for the stranger. God, how silly it had been to hope for another's presence! That hope had been a fantasy, really, and nothing more--and now that the reality was there staring her in the face, she sorely regretted hoping for it at all. She had fantasies of normalcy, of company, of friendships--but it wasn't possible, because in truth, visits from other people only ended one way.

In violence.

Whether they attempted violence on her not, it didn't matter. They all wound up in shreds among the thorns.

And more often than not, they came to hunt her, the witch of the valley.

Fools.

"Turn around now and go back where you came from. Now, if you know what's good for you!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Mephistel

It seems his joy was quickly taken away as the girl was now threatening him with a knife. He looked at her, and sighed.

-Really?...That's so cold!-

He said, looking at her very sadly, his expression changing suddenly. He put a hand on his chest, where his heart was.

-I'm just a poor soul, lost into the woods! I haven't seen anyone for a week! I haven't had a proper meal in days! -

He said, sounding dramatic.

-I wish you no harm...really...-

He added a bit more softly. He pointed at the knife.

-And...If you think you will be able to kill me with this...I'm effraid it won't do much...-

He shrugged, looking at her, then at the surroundings, trying to see if there was a house or something near by, or if that girl was just as lost as he was. 

DaGlobster

Ah, so they were strangers. Crembor didn't take the time to think about how coincidental it must be for three strangers to meet like this in the woods, he only focused on the situation.

It seemed the girl wasn't too keen on having visitors, or perhaps this was her turf. Either way, none of these situations bore well for him. While he would've preferred to stay out of this, it seemed... whatever it was that approached her wasn't too keen on playing friendly either.

Crembor was too damn old to buy into a facade like that, and he sure as hell didn't want either of these two whippersnappers ending up dead. More the girl than the other... thing. He still wasn't sure what gender it was from where he was standing.

He stood up from behind the log, wearing his travel cloak and wide black hat on top of his work clothing and supporting himself on his cane.

"Just when an old man thinks he can find peace gathering herbs in the forest," Crembor started, directing his eyes to the two of them. He was about fifty feet away from them.

"The hell is going on here?"

Rhindeer

Sadb stared at the stranger, disbelieving. Wow. Most of the people who came here at least tried to gain her trust. They all had sob stories of some variety, or called to her sweetly to come out into the open, just a little closer, really, they meant her no harm, they just wanted to help. But this stranger skipped all that and went straight to the subtle threat: the threat that she wouldn't be able to kill him with just a knife, after claiming he wouldn't hurt her.

Her eyes narrowed and she took a step back. "They say you can read a person's intent based on what they feel others intend," she said tightly. "That they project their own motives onto others. You think I'd try to kill you because you'd try to kill me. I want neither."

Though maybe she ought to let the thorns have them. But God, she was tired. She didn't want anymore blood on her hands if she could help it.

"Just please, turn back and go back to where you--ah!"

She startled at the sound of another voice, and the appearance of an old man, her eyes going wide and body stiff. There were two of them?!

At least they didn't seem to know each other.

"Nothing is going on!" she snapped, clutching her knife tighter. "Nothing. Just...both of you, forget this place and leave." A pause, a deep breath. "Please."

DaGlobster

Crembor's face twisted into a bit of a frown, and he leaned on his cane. He coughed rather severely into his fist before he responded.

"I've been gathering herbs here for years, missy. I ain't goin' nowhere, but I don't mean you harm, either. If your home lies that way, I'll go no further," Crembor said, and then his eyes turned to the... thing.

He really ought to buy a pair of glasses one of these days. His incredibly acute senses were great and all, but time still wore down on his mundane vision.

"This thing bothering you?"

Rhindeer

Sadb leveled Crembor with a hard stare.

"You're both bothering me," she said flatly, hands tightening on her blade. Politeness hadn't gotten her anywhere, and the sooner these two left, the sooner she could breathe again.