Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

As Above, So Below [Blue!!]

Started by DragonSong, March 18, 2023, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Errr...right. Okay. Will do." She tried for a smile, thought she at least managed something close, then turned and beckoned for him to follow as she led the way down the street to her house.

It was a modest enough little building, close enough to the outskirts of the city that they weren't completely sandwiched between their neighboring houses, and only one story tall. Aya skipped the third step from the top leading up to the door out of habit--it always creaked--and reached into the satchel she wore across her shoulder to settle at her hip so she could dig out her key.

"I, ah, don't have company very often," she said half over her shoulder. "I'm afraid it's not the tidiest it's ever been..."

Oh dear gods. Was she really apologizing about her messy house to a demon? Biting back a sudden, vaguely hysterical laugh, she opened the door and stepped inside, once more gesturing for him to follow.

Blue

Pyr obediently followed along, either unaware or unbothered by her awkwardness in response to his...well, general state of being really. Since just about everyone reacted in a similarly discomfited way around him, he had accepted it as 'normal' behavior.

He waited at the bottom of the stairs while she went about the process of unlocking the door - another reminder that many in this realm could be thwarted with a simple physical deterrent - and simply took in the outside of the building while she warned him of the state of things within. Mortal dwellings came in so many variables it was astounding, and quite charming - it seemed more often than not the abodes were as unique as those living in them.

Once they were to go inside, he finally ascended the stairs, noting the one that creaked a protest under his weight - ah, that would explain the odd hop she did to avoid it. Closing the door carefully and quietly behind him, he remained stationed in the threshold while taking in what interior was available to be seen. As some households had 'rules and customs' that began the moment one entered, he opted to wait patiently for further instructions from his host.

DragonSong

Once inside, Aya quickly hung her satchel on one of the series of mismatched hooks by the door, then started bustling around the space, trying to pick up clutter while she found herself muttering, "Mum's been on duty for a few weeks, and she's not due back until tomorrow evening, so I just sorta...leave things about, really. I was planning to pick the place up before she got home, but..."

The house itself, like its exterior suggested, was a modest affair: mainly one largish room, with a wood-burning stove that also seemed to serve as the hearth. There was a table--big enough for five or six, but with only two chairs drawn up to it--tucked neatly against the lefthand wall, and a series of clearly self-built-in bookshelves lining the righthand one.

"Washroom's over there, if you need it," Aya told her guest, opening a thin door along the back wall and essentially tossing her armful of clutter inside. She paused and glanced at Pyr curiously. "I--I just realized--do you even eat?"

Shit. Well, he'd accepted her invitation, so...he must at least be able to eat, right?

"Oh, um, please, sit, if you want," she added quickly, seeing that he was still just sort of standing in the doorway. She gestured to a clearly well-loved reading chair drawn up close enough to the stove to feel its warmth, but not so close as to risk catching a stray spark. "I'll...I dunno, start some tea? Do you drink tea?"

Blue

He was enjoying his visual tour of the interior of Aya's home while she continued to verbally fret, but it took him a moment to realize that perhaps he was missing something in the interaction. He really did not have enough data to say for certain, but she was not the first mortal to worry over the apparent cleanliness of their living space upon having a guest.

Pondering this most recent curiosity, Pyr followed her invitation to sit and finally moved carefully from the doorway toward the proffered chair. The support beams holding up the ceiling overhead brushed against his hair, one catching him dully on the top of his head, as he passed beneath - unsurprising that the home had not really been built with someone as tall as him in mind.
Apparently no more bothered with hitting his head as anything else that had happened to him thus far, Pyr didn't react and instead concentrated on carefully taking his seat and then arranging his long legs in a way that did not stick them directly into the fire.

Hands folded on his lap, he finally turned to address Aya directly, in that somewhat ponderous way he always did things.
"Thank you. While I do not require sustenance, I have found that mortal cuisine is very intriguing. I will enjoy whatever you provide, but I understand food scarcity to be a problem and so if you would rather not waste it on me, I would not be offended."
His head tilted to one side again, a bit like a curious bird.
"I do have a question - is it customary for a host to worry over the state of their home when they have guests? I might assume that one's living space need only conform to their own wants, but perhaps I am mistaken?"

DragonSong

"Well, I mean--I know the place is small, but we have food," Aya muttered, wondering for a moment if she should be offended and then deciding that it was not, in fact, worth it. She started simply searching for what food they did have instead, emerging from the pantry with half a loaf of homemade bread, a small assortment of jams, and some soft cheeses that her mother was partial to and so always kept a bit around the house.

"Errr..." She hesitated, debating how to answer the question. "Well, yeah, I guess most people want to...impress their guests? I mean, I think that's what it is, at the core of it. I guess it's really just...what's done? I mean, Mum and I don't have guests very often so I don't exactly have a lot of practice at it, but..."

She moved the bread onto a cutting board and placed it on the table, spreading the jams and cheeses around it as artfully as she could manage on short notice--though considering her company, she wasn't entirely sure why. She usually didn't care about such things, and he certainly didn't seem to.

She looked around the small house again, considering. "Well...it does suit our wants, most of the time," she said finally with a small, unconscious smile. Shrugging, she took a seat at the table and gestured for him to join her. "Mum is still active duty, so she's gone half the time anyway; she was around more when I was a mite, but--anyway."

She shook her head and started slathering jam on a slice of bread. "I have some questions for you," she told Pyr with one arched eyebrow. "Fair's fair, right? So. You said you're a demon; now, I'm no expert on the topic, but I was rather under the impression that demons aren't usually able to just...come here. Not without a summoner. So...what's your deal, exactly?"

Blue

Entirely unconscious of the fact he nearly offended his host, Pyr tracked her quest for food while absorbing everything she said. Every little bit of insight and information was shuffled away in the depths of his mind, like a crow collecting shiny things - much of it was inconsequential, some just pieces of a whole, while every so often something of true value was found.
But just like the crow, Pyr didn't much mind what value others might put on his collection - he was happy just adding to his horde.

Relocating to the table to partake in the snack Aya had cobbled together, Pyr took his seat as carefully as before.
"I see. Thank you for answering my question."
What he thought about the concept of 'impressing' guests, if he had any opinion at all, was impossible to tell - like staring at a wall and hoping for answers to materialize.
He watched patiently as she helped herself to some bread and jam, unsure if this was a 'wait to be served' situation or not - thus far he had not puzzled out how to tell when this would be the case. Slowly, in case he was indeed misreading the situation, Pyr began to prepare his own slice of bread and jam, simply copying what Aya had made for herself.
He had already learned his lesson against trying to guess how and what to eat - too many horrified mortals in the past to make that mistake again. The way he experienced food was certainly different from mortals, he just wasn't entirely sure to what degree.

Chewing mechanically, he tipped his head in her direction when she expressed a desire to ask him questions of her own. She was correct in theory at least - while 'fairness' had little to do with it, equivalent exchange was another matter. Nothing for free, after all - that was the way of his realm.
The question was not entirely unexpected, but it was a bit tricky to answer. The simplest response would be 'because he's strong enough' to do so, but it explained nothing of the mechanics. He took his time thinking, just as methodical as his chewing, before finally answering.
"You are correct - for most demons, they cannot pass into another realm without help. I can explain in more detail if you wish, but the simplified method is that an entity in the other realm calls out an invitation, establishes a Contract, and then opens the pathway to allow the demon to pass through. From there, the Contract is often used as the anchor so that the demon may remain manifested. However, for those demons with enough power, this method can be bypassed. Forcing your way into a realm is terribly destructive - I suppose you could think of it like blowing apart a wall instead of finding a door, to say nothing of being invited inside. Manifesting yourself without an anchor is likewise possible, but it consumes energy constantly and thus you will eventually run out and be forced from the realm."
Pausing a moment, Pyr blinked slowly at Aya. It was possible that being honest would scare her, which he did not wish to do. Lying to her was not an option, but he could simply stop there, and let her infer what she wished from his explanation. He let out a huff of a sigh and finally looked away from his host.
"If you are a demon with immense power, you force the realm itself into a Contract. To use my earlier analogy - I cut my own door, and invited myself inside."

DragonSong

Aya listened intently as he explained his answer--in thorough detail, which she'd rather started to expect and also appreciated, at this point. At least in regard to this particular question.

Then he said he'd made a Contract with her realm itself, and she paused with her slice of breath half in her mouth, eyes wide. "Well. That's...mildly terrifying," she said with a slow exhale, putting her food down. "And you--what? You just used that insane amount of power to come here and...sightsee?"

She shook her head in disbelief--not because she didn't actually believe, to her own surprise she found that she did. Easily. Maybe it was something in the way he'd looked away from her before he said it; with most people, that might have been an indicator of a falsehood, but with him...she got the feeling it was more like...wariness? Or maybe even embarrassment? It was difficult to tell, but for some reason she trusted it more than logic said she should.

No, the disbelief was simply in regard to the enormity of what he was describing so casually. After a moment, she gave a low whistle and shook her head again, finally picking her bread back up to take another bite.

"That's insane," she muttered as she swallowed. "You're insane, do you know that?" She drummed the fingers of her right hand absently on the tabletop, a behavior that wasn't quite an anxious habit but was something close to one. He ring caught a flicker of candlelight before she flattened her palm against the wood and pushed away from the table a little bit.

"How did you end up at the stables?" she asked after a moment. "That just seems...I mean, you could go anywhere, couldn't you?"

Blue

Pyr was greatly relieved (and showed exactly none of it, of course) to find that Aya seemed to be a mortal of strong nerves. She clearly was unsettled, and rightly so - but she was not lashing out in any way he might expect. Such reactions were anticipated, and quite natural in his opinion. Anyone who could grasp even the edges of the scope of what he was describing had plenty of reason to fear. Had he any machinations against this realm, the damage possible was immeasurable.

Luckily for all, he did indeed simply wish to 'sightsee'.

No longer concerned with scaring off his host, Pyr's implacable gaze again landed on her. He had finished his bread as well, and so folded his hands atop the table softly.
"I believe I am interpreting your tone as 'incredulous', correct? Perhaps there is no way I can explain that would be adequate, given the vast difference between us, but I will try. For ones such as myself, there are largely no entities that could summon me, in a purely practical sense. Assuming I opened my own pathway to take the burden off the summoner, it would still be incredibly difficult to form an anchor strong enough to bind me to their realm. It is most often that the Contract is used, because Contracts are incredibly stable magic, but what could be bartered and offered that would be worth such effort? Anything capable of summoning me likely has enough power to achieve whatever they might ask me to do quite on their own. And so I have never been summoned, and have never seen other realms. I simply grew...curious."

The glitter-flash of cut stone tugged his gaze down toward the ring on her finger, though he dutifully finished answering her questions before asking another of his own.
"I travel all over the realm, as there is much to see. The stable was simply another stop along my path. What is that ring? It hums an unusual spell."
Given that his single-minded focus hadn't shifted from said ring since he noticed it, it shouldn't be hard for Aya to understand to what he was referring. Magical items were common enough in this realm, but often the spells were simple things that he could understand at a glance. A ring on one's eldest child he might have anticipated having a protection charm imbued, but rather than repelling this spell was binding. A limitation...a suppressor perhaps?

DragonSong

Once again, Aya found herself simply listening as he elaborated. She had more questions—how long had he been here? When was he planning on going back? What was his realm like? What did he think of hers? Where was he planning to visit next? And were demons more like the Fae then, really, visitors from an Elsewhere that connected to the mortal world, but seemingly with more restrictions, or perhaps simply differentones? Did he like the bread and jam? And probably a few dozen more besides those.

But then he asked about her ring, his attention on it so strong she swore she couldfeel his stare on the back of her hand. She glanced down at the thing, brow furrowed slightly.

"It's just a ring—hm? Spell? Oh." She shrugged, looking a little embarrassed, but in the pleased sort of way of someone who appreciated the intent behind a gesture even if they thought the gesture itself was excessive. "I think it's just a basic protection charm—Mum is infuriatingly mute on the point, like it's some sort of game, but it was a birthday present from her a few years back, so..."

She trailed off with a shrug, but her expression was slowly morphing from that vaguely pleased embarrassment to something...something else.

She stared at Pyr, hard. "Unusual," she repeated slowly. "You said it's an unusual spell. What...?"

Given what he'd just explained...what exactly would qualify as "unusual" to someone—or maybe something?—like him?

Blue

His gaze remained fixed on the ring, deep blue pupil expanding and contracting much like a cat's as he analyzed it from afar. What she said was not the truth, but it was no fault of her own - clearly her mother had lied to her about the ring's purpose. Or, perhaps, her mother had also been lied to...regardless, it was certainly no protective charm.
Quite intrigued, Pyr's head began to tilt to one side as was clearly a habit of his.

"Excuse me." With no further warning, his finger appeared over the ring - the movement had happened with such speed as to literally be blink-and-you-miss-it. His finger did not touch the ring, nor did it remain there for more than a moment before he withdrew his hand in his usual careful, measured pace.

"Quite unusual, in the sense I have yet to see a spell like this in this realm. It's quite complex - or rather, it was. The spell has eroded quite drastically, and will likely fail soon. It is not a protective charm, at least not in the expected sense - it is binding a power, keeping it enfolded and suppressed. Given that the ring is not that old, I can only assume that the degradation of the spell is due to the magnitude of the power it is keeping contained, rather than the slow wear of time."

Finally his gaze flicked up to her face, his pupil shrinking to that of a pinprick. No longer the metaphorical 'weight' of his attention, this time a humming pressure enfolded her - as before it lasted only a moment, broken when he blinked, electric blue eye returned to 'normal'.
"Fascinating. The power is certainly coming from you, but it is quite well hidden. Or perhaps it might be more accurate to say it is in a language difficult for me to translate. I don't suppose you know what of yourself is being held at bay?"

DragonSong

Aya flinched back a bit when his hand was suddenly hovering over hers, thoroughly startled by the lightning quick movement after all her previous time spent in his presence giving observation only to slow, methodical movements.

She slowly started to shake her head as he spoke, brow furrowed. It wasn't a protection charm, it was a--a suppressant. That didn't make any sense. What would it be suppressing?

Then he said the power was coming from her--was apparently enough power to erode the spell--and her slow head shake became abruptly frantic. "No," she said, as though she could possibly tell a being with the kind of power to hop between realms what was and was not true about her silly little ring. "No, that--that can't be right. I mean--I'm not even a mage! Sure, I've got some beastspeaking talent, but that's really just with horses, I'm not...I can't..."

She stood from the table, suddenly buzzing with anxious energy. "Are--are you sure?" she asked him, starting to pace, hands clasped tight together in front of her chest. "I mean...my mother is a dragonrider, maybe...maybe it has something to do with dragon magic?"

Blue

Pyr watched as she paced, eye traveling back and forth along with her. This was body language he was almost certain he understood, and it meant she was quite unsettled. Strangely, it seemed to be due to learning of her latent abilities, whatever they might be. He couldn't fathom why that would spark anxiety, but clearly it had, so he attempted to pick his words with more care.

"I am quite sure. I do not understand your assertion that not being a mage discredits the truth - with such a powerful spell of suppression, you would be unable to use magic even if you knew how. Assuming the ring was placed on you when your powers were ready to properly manifest, there would have been no opportunity for you to use them."
He paused to think, his head slowly tilting to the other side as he assessed her pacing form.
"While it is possible for a dragon to place a spell or boon upon another, this is not that sort of magic. That ring's charm is quite specific, and is not something I've seen before in this realm. I imagine whatever it is keeping at bay is quite rare."

DragonSong

Aya shook her head again, though she didn't seem to be denying what he was saying, exactly; it was more like she needed the movement to orient herself.

"But I don't have any power," she protested, as though he hadn't just explained how it was entirely possible that that might not be true and she could have no idea. "And—I mean, even as a kid, I never...I didn't..."

She reached up to tug at one of her braids, finally stopping her pacing, though she now seemed to be coming close to hyperventilating. "Why would she—what would she—why wouldn't she tell me?!"

She glared down at her ring—then abruptly ripped it from her finger, apparently unthinking or uncaring of the kind of consequences that might have.

Which were pretty immediate: sensation slammed into her. Sound, smell, scent, even touch, the feel of the wooden floorboards beneath her palms as she collapsed onto her hands and knees suddenly grainy in a way she'd never felt before. She gasped, clenching her eyes shut against the onslaught of sensory information.

"What...what's...happening...?"

The power that her ring had been suppressing flickered around her, faint gold, lashing out with tendrils into the world around her and then curling back in to her body. She gasped again, then whimpered, feeling the weight of it lashed to her core.

Desperate, she reached for the ring where it had fallen, unable to cobble together any other thought than to make this stop stop stop.

Blue

Aya's distress only continued to grow, leaving Pyr a bit at a loss. There was not much he could think to do for her, his experiences with mortals still fairly limited thus far. He also did not entirely understand the reason for her heightened emotions - yes, clearly it was her latent powers, but what about that was so cause for this reaction? This was something he could not begin to guess at, and so his options were limited in terms of what support he might offer.

Sometimes it was simply best to let them express all that emotion before approaching - calmer minds were more receptive to communication usually.

Unfortunately since Aya was still very much NOT calm, she made a reckless decision (as mortals were terribly fond of doing, it worried Pyr quite a bit). The ring came off, and Pyr could hear the tenuous strings of the spell snap with the backlash of power as it was released. Now a piece of metal and stone and nothing more, it rolled away beneath the table and Pyr paid it no more attention.
After all, there were more pressing matters to attend to.

The flash of power was so bright and sudden he felt it lash against his eyes, the warmth of red blood and blue-black ichor a slow trail down his cheeks. The damage repaired itself but still the burning sensation remained, and in that moment Pyr recognized the taste of this magic. A language difficult to translate indeed...more-so a language he was barred from reading again.
"Ah. I see."

The power began to settle soon enough, like a spring that had been compressed finally releasing with vigorous energy, only to return to its resting shape.
Mortals in pain or great discomfort were not hard to spot, and so Pyr easily realized that Aya was perhaps struggling with the consequences of her actions. Towering straight and unmoved above her curled up form, entirely expressionless, he seemed so much the callous demon mortals often saw him as.
But Aya did not have to see, because she would instead experience something entirely different. He was rusty with the ages, and the magic itself was now abrasive against his own, but he gently cupped that swelling power and carefully folded it back into shape, smoothing down the ruffled edges. Trying to suppress the power completely was likely to cause further damage, so instead he simply...muffled it, like putting his hands over her ears in a too-loud room, dampening the stimuli. He could hold her thus until she began to acclimate on her own, slowly but surely.

DragonSong

It was so much, too much, every single one of her senses suddenly heightened to the point where she could hear the stuttering rhythm of air rushing in and out of her lungs, her heartbeat not just a thudding pulse beneath her breastbone but the hammer of a war drum.

And then...something changed. It didn't stop, didn't go away, but it was suddenly...much closer to bearable. Her gasping breaths started to even out, slowly but surely, and she even thought that weighted feeling in the center of her chest had lessened.

"Please..." She winced, her own voice still too loud in her ears, though at least it wasn't deafening now. "Please...can you...make it stop? Make it stop..."

The creak of her front door opening was like a shot from a Connlaothian rifle. She flinched and whimpered, her whole body trembling as she tried to focus through the abrupt volume of the sound to figure out what it actually meant--

"Get away from her!"

Loretta Almarin was across the room in an instant, with all the savage grace of a well-trained warrior, snatching a knife from the table on the way and thrusting it against Pyr's throat as she shoved him back, trying to knock him away from where Aya was curled on the ground.

Aya, who couldn't gather her senses enough to tell her to stop, still trying to recover from the echo of her mother's voice that refused to fade from her ears.

"Stop it," Loretta snarled at Pyr, pressing the knife--still with a smear of cheese on it--to his throat until it drew blood. "Let her go, whatever you're doing, let her go."

Blue

Pyr's lips pressed more tightly together as Aya pleaded, the words a barb to his heart. He did not wish to see her in pain, but some pain was inevitable now and he hated having to be the one to deny her relief. He could simply cut off the pain receptors of her mind of course, but in the state she was in there was no guarantee he could undo the change later. Everything about this situation was delicate, such that any wrong move could cause lasting damage. He was essentially trying to help an egg hold its shape - too much or too little force and the shell would crack.

Naturally, this was the moment for further complication to appear in the form of Aya's mother. Pyr hardly had a moment to lift his gaze to her, garish with the stain of blood and ichor he had yet to wipe away, before she was on him with impressive speed for a mortal. Hmm, had Aya not mentioned something about that...? Was she a warrior perhaps? That would certainly explain her deft wielding of the knife now sunk into his throat.

You see, Pyr did not register much as a threat in this world, and lacked the inherent reflexes of a creature concerned for its safety. While most people would have stepped back upon being shoved, even more so when faced with a knife, Pyr was essentially an immovable object. There was no outward reaction to the woman's physicality nor the knife wound slowly beading blood, Pyr simply blinking placidly down at her as she stood between him and Aya's curled form. It hadn't even broken his concentration on the task at hand, though he did decide to address Aya's mother directly in an attempt to allay her fears.

"Please, lower your voice. You are causing Aya pain at that volume. Unfortunately, I cannot stop - as she has removed the ring and its suppressive spell, I am now assisting her acclimation to the sudden manifestation of her power. Should I stop, the pain and discomfort she is experiencing would worsen threefold."
His monotone was very soft as he spoke to Loretta, while at the same time he sought to reply to Aya at the same time - naturally he could not use his mouth for two different conversations so he opted to communicate directly to her mind, just as gently as everything else.

"Aya, I'm afraid I cannot suppress your power again and stop your suffering. Doing so would harm you more, do you understand? Do not worry about your mother, all is well. Please focus on your power and where it lies at the core of you - you need to come to know its feel, and allow it to settle. The pain and discomfort you are feeling is going to fade as your body gets used to its true nature. Right now you are like a child kept in the dark stepping into sunlight for the first time - it hurts and blinds you, but soon enough you will be able to see the world in a new way."
He smoothed the ruffled edges of her power again, like stroking the puffed-up fur of a startled cat - he could do little else to soothe her through the transition.

DragonSong

"You think I'm buying that, you demonic son of a bitch?" Loretta hissed--blessedly, whether it was her intention or not, the threatening tone did lower her voice. "Yeah, I know what you are--I've spent years preparing for something like you to show up, but you can't have her."

She only then seemed to realize the extent of what he'd said, blinking, the pressure on the knife lessening just a bit. "Her...ring? She..."

She looked down at her daughter, saw the empty spot on her right ring finger--which actually still bore a slight indentation from how long she had worn the ring--and all the color drained from her face.

"Oh no..."

For her part, Aya was just starting to feel like every sound wasn't going to split her skull open when Pyr's voice suddenly spoke directly in her mind. It was a shock, but oddly also something of a relief; with his voice in her head, she wasn't actually hearing it, and it wasn't as overwhelming as...well. Everything else.

Focus on your power, he said. But...she didn't know how. She'd never felt anything like this, she didn't--she couldn't--

I'm scared, she thought, unsure if he could hear her but keeping her mind open in the way she did when she communicated with the horses, letting her inner voice float away from her. I don't understand what's happening. I don't want this...

She whimpered, curling in a little tighter on herself, but slowly, so, so slowly, allowed her awareness to travel inward, toward that weight in the center of her chest. No--not quite. In her heart. And it wasn't a weight, it was... She didn't have the words for it, not exactly. It was like there was something massive inside her, bursting to get out, but it couldn't escape passed the fist-sized muscle in her chest. So it pressed and raged until she thought she was going to come apart at the seams, but somehow her skin still managed to contain it.

Loretta had stepped back from Pyr--not far, and she still held the knife--with her eyes fixed on Aya. She started to reach for her daughter, then remembered what he had said about her voice being too loud and stopped. She looked to the demon, her face a near-copy of Aya's with another thirty years to it and bright hazel eyes rather than soft violet.

"...What can I do?"

Blue

The hissed cursing passed him by with ease but the other bit was of interest - she had expected potential demonic intervention? Now that was something to look into, for as far as he could tell the power roiling against his own as the pure burn of angelic essence. Clearly Aya's mother had intended to hide this, given the ring and her expectation of trouble, but he was quite interested to know why exactly that was.

Luckily he was more than capable of splitting his attentions.

"I know, and I am sorry I cannot do more to alleviate that fear. This power is yours, but you have not had the time to accommodate it. That pressure is the result of the power having to make space for itself - what was once neatly folded and compressed into a small thing has now expanded exponentially. It may feel like you cannot contain it, but know that I will not allow you to break. Remember when I explained how I came to enter this realm under my own power? If I can do that, please trust that I can handle this with ease - you will be alright. The only reason I do not take your pain away entirely is because any further magical intervention carries too much risk. I do not allow you to suffer on a whim, Aya. It will pass. Just breathe, let it settle, do not fight it. If it aids in your belief of what I say, then know the terms of my Contract do not allow me to lie to the denizens of this realm. It is not empty platitudes."
He continued the rhythmic stroking against the magic inside her so she might have something pleasant to focus on, despite the way it burned against his own essence.

Meanwhile, he blinked in actual surprise at the question. He hadn't expected her to ask something like that quite honestly. Though still with knife in hand, she seemed to have opted to turn her attention to helping her daughter directly rather than try to remove the perceived threat.
Pyr met her gaze calmly, the cut on his neck already sealed.
"Remain quiet. Do not attempt to touch her. Other than that, there is not much to be done but wait. I apologize for the distress I have caused you. My name is Pyr, it is a pleasure to meet you- ah, despite the circumstances. May I ask why you are expecting an attack? And possibly from demons at that?"

DragonSong

She believed him. She didn't know why, but she believed him.

Let it settle. Do not fight it.

She tried. Slowly, painfully slowly, Aya forced herself to simply focus on her breathing, to count her thunderous heartbeats rather than allow them to drown out thought. After a few breaths, the air in and out of her lungs no longer felt like cold knives. A few more, and the fact that she could feel every whorl and divot in the wood beneath her hands was not quite so overwhelming.

The cradling sensation though...that was external. She knew that, somehow. She shivered, feeling the power inside her beginning to calm at what felt like a truly glacial pace and trying to focus on the sensation of connection that was offered by the gentle stroke of Pyr's power against hers, rather than the sickening rush of fire filling her veins.

Loretta was watching her daughter with a burning intensity; it clearly pained her not to be able to go to her, but in her current state...she would take the demon's word for it that touch would not be helpful. "Why wouldn't I be expecting an attack?" she murmured in answer to his question after a long, quiet moment. "She isn't supposed to exist..."

It took a few minutes--which to Aya felt like hours--but eventually the young woman managed to pull herself together enough to crawl back onto her hands and knees, then slowly sit back onto her heels. The golden glow around her seemed to be slowly reabsorbing into her skin, and with it, the hot needles of her power against Pyr's presence lessened just slightly. She shuddered, arms wrapped tight around her middle, and looked up at them both blearily.

"Mum..." She blinked, then hissed and clenched her eyes shut as another wave of power rocked through her, but it was...almost manageable, this time. When she opened her eyes again, they went to Pyr. "What...happened to you?"

She hadn't had occasion to properly see the blood streaking down his face before.

Blue

It truly was just a matter of time, all three of them only able to wait out the inevitable, with varying levels of discomfort. While the majority of his attention was still carefully monitoring Aya, his gaze remained on her mother for now. Her response was, once again, surprising to him.
"Oh? According to who?"
With his deadpan delivery it might have come across wrong, but he was asking genuinely. Mostly he simply wished to sate his curiosity, but it might also be nice to know if he should expect more sudden guests (well, Aya's mother was hardly a guest in her own home - unexpected entrances instead perhaps?).

Any response would have to wait, as Aya finally began to stir and pick herself up, careful in the way of one still in quite a bit of pain. Pyr watched her closely, feeling the waves of her power against his own beginning to recede, just as he knew they eventually would. He'd continue his vigil until she was entirely settled, whether that be hours or days from now - he did not mind the task.

Finally his attention was returned to himself, courtesy of Aya's question - reaching up, he touched the tacky surface of his face, fingers coming away coated in drying blood and the tar-like ichor that had run from his previously ruined eyes.
"Ah. The intensity of your power flare burned away the surface of my eyes for a moment. As I recall, mortals ordinarily do not enjoy the sight of blood, correct?"
On that note, he flicked his fingers and the mess disappeared entirely, leaving his pale cheeks clean once more and his visible eye clear.
"Is this better?"