Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Blacksmith and The War He Ran From [open]

Started by Scyrus42, January 22, 2019, 01:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scyrus42

A section of forest a few hours walk from the nearest town. From the sky, one would notice the trees there were larger and greener than those around and were dotted with Violet flowers. Approaching the section on foot would cause non-magical folk and animals to approach the center with curiosity. To a mage or magically inclined person, they would feel the magical energy in their bones. The humming energy practically visible in the crisp forest air.

The source of this magical power is a blacksmiths shop and house. It was larger than most, but not colossal. It was surrounded by massive oak trees, their size enhanced my the ambient magical energy. The grass was green and flowers grew so that the stem was the width of a finger. The petals a beautiful violet. The house itself was one unit, a tower on one side with open windows and a cone roof. The walls were arranged in a hexagon and made of plain stone from the mountains, but cut with unnatural precision.

The shop portion was a large square building made of the same smooth cut stone, the roof was cut logs with veins of purple weaving through the wood. A sign hung by a door reading in a completely foreign alphabet, and below it read "The Wizard Blacksmith". The door was elegantly carved, covered in glowing runes. It had a heavy iron knocker and a pristine brass handle.

The forge was unique, it was completely circular. The stone making the walls had no imperfections and was smooth as glass at the touch. The roof was metal plating covered in runes and magic circles. There was no way to access it from the outside, only through the shop or the tower. It had a single chimney sticking out of the center but spat no smoke, only a warping of the air like a fire and the occasional lick of Violet flame.

The inside of the shop was mostly barren, the floor was stone tile. There were a few racks on the walls and a few glass cases stood around, but all were empty. At the end was a pair of doors, one nice wooden one leading to the tower, and one solid steel one leading to the forge. The metal one was coated in runes and was burning hot to the touch.

Inside the tower was the living quarters of the blacksmith. A pair of chairs around a table with the skin of some enormous furry beast served as a carpet. A stone fireplace with a fire inside that had no logs or coal, but burned off of a runic circle etched into the rock. The next floor was obviously a workshop, an alchemists worktable took up a full wall, covered in allembics and herbs, a book sat on the table full of scribblings in a foreign alphabet. Hanging from another wall was a long staff. It was a single piece of metal in a hexagonal shape. It's whole length was covered in runes and bummed with magic. The final floor of the tower held a large bed with the blacksmith sleeeping only in a set of undergarments and spread eagle face down.

The forge was lethal to anyone other than the smith himself. If the array of wards didn't evaporate you on the spot, the raw magical energy and heat within would turn you to cinders. It was this building that gave off the heavy magical energy. Within was a forge unlike any else, in the center was a bright purple flame, staring directly into it was akin to gazing at the sun. Tools of all sorts liuttered on steel tables and an anvil made of some pitch black material. On it lay a hammer, the head was an interesting metal, silvery grey with patterns of black all over the metal. It was festooned in runes and had a powerful magical aura. Floating around the room were orbs of molten metal, one could tell that they were all different. A pile of broken and misshapen blades sat on another table, glowing red hot just by being in the room. Drops of molten metal fell off one and split up, going to different orbs in the air.

The room was steeped in magic and if one could see it, it would appear as a beacon of magical light, or a star laying in the middle of the forest.

Curiosity struck as a Traveller knocked on the front enterance.

Razor-D-Belphe

Grizzly Rockrieg didn't exactly know what had drawn him to this place. He had been hunting the better part of the day when he happened upon it and found himself compelled to knock. He waited with mild wonder to see what lay behind the door.

Scyrus42

The wizard upstairs awoke with a start and put on a set of standard clothes, a pair of trousers and a pair of boots. He almost reached for his staff, but pulled back. He remained shirtless, arcane tattoos in full display. AreĆ¼s climbed down his tower and walked behind the counter of his empty shop.

"T'ayem... *cough*" he whispered a translation spell, shifting to local common. "Welcome, please come in. I am the mentioned  Wizard Blacksmith, though my stocks are nonexistent. None of the ore in the shops has the metals I need. What can I do for you?"

Razor-D-Belphe

"Perhaps you can tell me." Grizzly said, sizing up the wizard. "I more or less found myself drawn here. Why would that be?" he asked as he stepped into the shop, bear pelt cape trailing behind him.

Scyrus42

The wizard scratched the back of his head "that may be due to the arcane dwarf star powering my forge. The raw energy is attractive. I am a blacksmith by trade and cane make you a good weapon if you help me get some decent raw materials." He glanced at the bulky customer with curiosity. He knew that the magic attracted animals, but this was the first person enthralled by it.

Razor-D-Belphe

Grizzly's instincts were akin to that of a wild beast's, as we're his senses and, largely, his disposition. Perhaps that was why he had been drawn as an animal would have.

"You need materials? Well, I suppose I have nothing better to do." Grizzly chuckled. "Sure, why not?"

Scyrus42

"Wonderful, I know the mines to the west have what I need, but they only mine the iron, ignoring the adamantine vein nearby. I would gather it by myself, but raw adamant generally refuses to be lifted telekenetically and I can't process it over there. I can source iron and mithril from the town, but I need some tungsten" his rambling slowly degraded into muttering and he almost forgot about his customer.

He shook his head to focus and nodded at his temporary companion. "I will grab my gear and then we can set out"

Razor-D-Belphe

"Alright, sounds like a plan." Grizzly said, stretching and cracking his back and neck.