Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bonds of Mortality

Started by Lion, September 17, 2015, 02:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

[Tag @Soapies ]

His quarry couldn't be far.  They rarely ever got to be anyway.  It was amusing to be sure, to allow them to think that they could possibly escape.  Ki'adan always got his man, or woman, no matter how fast, how far, how dogged they thought they could run.  He had to admit there was a thrill in the hunt, excitement in the chase.

This runaway in particular was surprisingly good at covering their tracks.  This one was older than most runaways, but Ki'adan figured this probably wasn't the first time they'd done so.  Female, lithe of build, approximately 5'8" in height.  Blonde hair, grey eyes.  Fairly usual as far as descriptions went.  This time, however, the exception was that she was not any one's singular asset.

No, this slave was one only in theory, and had not yet been purchased.  The auction house that ran the usual sale of flesh wanted to keep the fact that one of its assets had escaped.  They were wise to employ only the best for the task.  Ki'adan had departed Ketra as soon as he could, following the trail doggedly.  The pay was rather substantial, and a bonus was thrown in if the slave could be returned in time, and without any visible damage to her.

The latter Ki'adan could not guarantee.  Those that ran as far as this one did, rarely agreed to be returned without a fight.

Then again, there were no guarantees in this business.

He sniffed, frowning in thought as he navigated between trees, his horse lightfooted over the underbrush.  It was early morning within the Draconi Forest, unusually quiet.  Nothing good ever came about when it was quiet.  He'd tracked the slave this far along, and up ahead he'd detected a clearing.  Dismounting, Ki'adan pulled the bow from his saddle, knocking an arrow against the grip carefully as he approached.

His mount knew better than to make noise, observing his rider, as he passed beside a tree, where brush and bushes were wildly overgrown, concealing his presence.  The smoke of a campfire rose from a circle of ashes in the small clearing, and what looked to be the remains of a camp.  Recent?  He'd only be able to tell upon further examination.

Ki'adan crouched, slipped through the bushes and kneeling beside the camp, where a few bones of an animal had been discarded.  "Where are you now?" he muttered, observing the grass and dirt around it for tracks.  Suddenly the sound of hooves pounding behind him made him stiffen in alarm.  The arrow that had been knocked was pulled taut in the bow and Ki'adan swiftly turned to fire it at the approaching stranger.

And fly it did, though prodding itself in the bark of a tree beside their head.  Yet just as quickly, another one was pulled back in its place, held at the ready.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Soapies

Thunk. An arrow hit the tree next to her. Shirin glanced over at it with a bored expression, then turned her attention back to the archer. "Could you stop being so scared? It's a rather distasteful emotion, and I'd like to keep my breakfast in my stomach today."

She slung herself off the horse. Nasty, old thing she had borrowed from a farmer. It probably hadn't been ridden in years, but she had needed the extra speed. Her bare feet touched the forest floor and she brushed her robes clean.

"Found any leads?" She strode confidently towards the abandoned campsite, looking down at the bones.

"Oh, and before you ask. Lady Sycarus." Her eyes flickered back to him for a moment. "I've been asked to make sure this all stays above board. And, of course, gets done."

Lion

She thought he was afraid?  How amusing, and foolish that she confuse fear with caution.  Nevertheless, Ki'adan made no comment on the sentiment.  He was more focused, however, that someone suddenly appear at all.  And somehow know who he was.

"What?" he suddenly blurted out, surprising himself.  He had since released tension on the arrow in the bow, slowly rising to retrieve the one that embedded itself in the tree.  The auction house sent along some fucking bounty hunter to watch over him!?

He scowled at this "Lady Sycarus."

"No need," he quickly said.  "Go back to where you came from.  I don't need any assistance, least of all from someone so noisy, Lady."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Soapies

"Look, there's two ways this can go down. We can work together like adults, or I can shackle you and turn you in for impeding the process of justice. I'd prefer the first because I only brought one pair of shackles, but I'll make do. I'm very resourceful."

Shirin rolled her eyes and crossed back to the borrowed horse, and tied him off to a tree. "And there. Now we'll be quiet. I was doing you the courtesy of not just appearing behind you." She pet the horse's head gently in thanks for the ride it had given her.

"Now, can we get moving or are you still going to be a choleric child?"

Lion

Ki'adan was clearly unhappy with the arrangement.  There was the damage to his pride of course, that the auction house had to send someone along as a sort of failsafe.  He had no intention of failure, but if that was the way they wanted it, he wasn't going to argue.

"No," he said quickly.  "We don't have time to waste.  Now make yourself useful and scout for clues."  He grunted  and moved back to the ashes of the fire, sifting through them and finding the remnants of scorched metal, a chain in the link of what were probably the slave's shackles.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn