Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Still stranded. [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, July 12, 2012, 09:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Sighing, Faolán hobbled his way outside the church and into the village proper. It was slow going, for his leg was still torn-up (though healing nicely) and he couldn't put all his weight on it yet. The gash had been long and deep, and he knew he'd bear that scar for the rest of his life.

Yet, despite the terrifying circumstances under which it was received, he was pretty okay with that!

It was his first scar--or at least, the first scar received in the line of duty, and he'd forever bear it as testament to the incredible danger he'd faced and survived!

A danger which had involved a lot of screaming and ineffectual flailing, granted, and a danger which he had only survived by pure dumb luck when the creature released him by accident. But he'd managed to get away and no one had to know the whole story and everyone believed him! So he'd spent his days in this small village recovering and regaling the village girls with stories of his amazing battle with a slavering beast of doom sent from hell itself!

Now the girls were busy, though (really, it was just that their mothers didn't want them mingling with a young soldier, because "everyone knew they were only after one thing"--though when Faolán had asked what that was, everyone had laughed and assumed he was joking), so he had to find some other way to occupy his time.

Because this was just how it was going to be until he regained enough strength to travel back to his squadron.

Faolán headed into the small market and idly browsed the wares, pausing to admire a woven bracelet. Well, maybe at the very least, he could find a little something to give one of those girls, just as a 'thank you' for letting him hang around them.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Blue

One stall over, the stiff rustling of lace and silk announced the arrival of another would-be shopper. Well, so she was mostly just browsing...probably quite odd, given that she was a lady, but not all ladies lived to bedazzle themselves with useless trinkets and baubles! And regardless of that, she'd been forced to come here for a 'vacation' of sorts by the higher up in the Mordecai order. Basically, they'd whisked her away from the training facility before she trained herself into an early grave.

She was still a bit miffed about that.

So much training she still needed to do, to be on par with the more experienced of her peers. She would not be made to look a fool due to her new status and young age! The hands that clenched at her sides were covered in pale blue gloves, which hid a multitude of blisters and building calluses thanks to the sleek sword that sat now at her hip.
But it was unlikely anyone had really noticed these things when they looked at the young lady glaring holes into the vendor's wares with green-and-gold eyes.
It was far more likely that people were staring due to her odd manner of dress - and by dress, I do mean DRESS. Fully belled with at least three layers, the dress was in a deep shade of sky blue, offset by elements of paler blue such as the ribbons cinching the back closed, her elbow high gloves, and the boots with steep heels to give her slight frame a height boost.
Even more bizarre was the delicate steel 'cage' that sat over top of her dress - though as the wind kicked up, it did naught but tease her burgundy curls, her skirts held firmly in place by the weight and shape of the metal hoops.

Calmly ignoring the stares and whispers as though they mattered naught at all, Lucine gave a sharp sigh and placed her gloved hands on her hips, causing the vendor to start somewhat due to the sheer intensity she was giving off.
Well, she supposed she could be tempted by a trinket or two...might as well find SOME use for this involuntary trip.

Rhindeer

It was the swishing sound that got Faolán's attention, along with the hushed whispers that began to travel through the crowd. Curious, he looked up from his inspection of the bracelets--and then just stared.

Ansgar's beard!

It had to be the most unusual thing he'd ever seen--aside from the beast that had gave him his wound. It was a woman dressed in...well...he wasn't actually sure what she was wearing, but she also had a sword which meant...uh...Mordecai? Had to be or she wouldn't be carrying a weapon, not so openly! The defense of home and fortress was one thing, but to be out in public like that? Totally Mordecai. But...what...?

Faolán reached up and rubbed at his eyes, but still the sight remained. A Mordecai, dressed so indecently! And in the garb of those Serenian witches! With like...steel...armor? Was that what was going over it? It went against the fabric of everything Faolán knew and, from the looks of the people who had stopped just to stare in horror, he wasn't alone there.

Maybe the poor Mordecai was just oblivious? Or a little...touched? He'd heard among the other soldiers that that happened sometimes, that some men who saw too much battle and blood and violence eventually went a little mad themselves, and Mordecai did have tough jobs! She looked a little scary, though...which was probably why no one had told her!

Biting his lip with indecision, Faolán finally decided that if no one else had the balls to do it, it would just have to be him. Abandoning the bracelets, he limped his way over to her and placed a hand lightly on her arm to get her attention. He realized too late that he had absolutely no idea how one addressed a lady-Mordecai, and then remembered that there was no special way to do it, for they were considered, for all intents and purposes, to be men. Would that mean they had no separate terms of respect?

"Um, sir?" he said, low so only she could hear, so he didn't embarrass her more. "D'ya need help finding something more, ah...appropriate? People are kinda talkin' and, well...I know this place pretty good!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Blue

The touch to her sleeved arm was unexpected, and her slender frame jerked slightly before she could help herself. But in the next heartbeat, she was pulling her arm away and turning sharply to face the one so brash as to take her arm without so much as a greeting. His words didn't help his standing in her eyes much, those piercing green-and-gold pools narrowing to sharp slits with her disapproval.
"Do I look like a 'sir' to you? And it is quite impolite to touch a lady without having so much as introduced yourself first!"
Though somewhat indignant, her words were not as sharp as her expression, surprisingly enough. Then again, her face often held severe expressions, so that it had become so used to it as to be unable to soften up most days. Her gloved hands rested on her hips, a common perch for them, even as the wind kicked up again yet failed once more to do anything greater than tease her curls.

She seemed to go back in her mind then, as if finally remembering the young man having said other things. But a quizzical frown simply tugged on her lips, her expression not changing much more than that.
"What exactly are you babbling about?"

Rhindeer

Well this was awkward.

It was like that story about a king who was so arrogant he didn't realize he was naked. Only this woman seemed so...not arrogant, exactly, but oblivious? So oblivious she didn't seem to realize that she was dressed, to be blunt, like a crazy person.

Faolán grimaced. Now she'd put him into a position where he had to try to explain himself--and explain himself in a manner which hopefully didn't cause further offense!

He let his hand drop back down to his side. "Uh. I just mean, well...you see..." He cleared his throat. "Your dress?"

Blue

Lucine continued to stare at the young man with all the intensity of the sun - not generally a pleasant place to be. At least he seemed somewhat taken aback, though she would have very much appreciated an apology for his errant behavior. Well, he seemed young (lookwhostalking) and so she decided she could forgive him this one transgression.
Now if only he would stop stumbling over his words and just spit it out already.

Not that she understood what he was trying to get at even when he managed to do so. Hands still on her hips, and her gaze no less piercing, her nostrils flared as she took in a deep breath to keep her growing impatience at bay.
"Yes, what about my dress?? Finish your sentences or do not speak to begin with, if you please!"

Rhindeer

Faolán jumped when the lady snapped at him. "Ah! Sir! I mean, m'lady. M'lady. Ah..." How did you reason with someone like this without causing offense? Especially someone far higher ranked than he. Maybe he shouldn't have said anything at all and just left her to figure it out for herself?

"It's just...it's..." He groped for words. It was probably too late to back out now. If he backtracked and said 'oh, nothing!' then, more than likely, she would still want to know! And he was terrible at lying or making up excuses. Ugh...him and his big fat mouth...

"It's just...unusual," he finished lamely.

Blue

She blinked once in response, and it somehow encompassed her entire reaction to such a ridiculous answer. It was not often she was rendered speechless, but when faced with something so...so...weak and absurd, what was one supposed to say?? She wasn't even sure if she should be insulted, annoyed, or just plain saddened at this poor young man's lack of intellect.

"Yes...well. It is from Serendipity, so likely you've never seen such a garment before. If there's nothing else sir?"
She cocked her head quizzically to one side, almost like an eagle eyeballing something it's not sure it wants to eat or not. Ultimately, she had no idea what the point of the conversation up to this point had even been. It had started of badly, and then simply become bizarre and hard to follow. She still wasn't sure if the young man actually needed something or if he'd simply been making an awkward attempt at conversation.

Rhindeer

Faolán's shoulders twitched. Serendipity? The witch country? Why would a Mordecai be wearing witch clothes?! And why would she be so blase about it? Like it was normal to be wearing such a ridiculous getup out here. His mind struggled to process it, and process it in a way that wouldn't be offensive. She was his superior and right now he felt like he was walking on glass.

Unless...maybe....it was some subversive move? To show Connlaoth and the Mordecai didn't fear them?

Or maybe, Faolán thought, eyes widening as he looked the Mordecai over, as one confused thought lead to another, she took them from a witch she killed...

That sounded the most impressive--and also made the most sense--so he grabbed it and ran with it. Breaking out into a sudden wide grin as all the pieces slid into place, he leaned closer and dropped his voice. "Was the witch ya got it from terribly powerful?"

Blue

Again? Again?? She simply stared at him with all the intensity of her complete lack of comprehension of what he was saying. What. What. What. Her mind back peddled, tried to make some kind of a link, some sort of logical explanation as to how he'd gotten from their last statements to this one.
She couldn't for the life of her make any sense of it.

"What ARE you going on about sir!? Why would I knowingly buy something from a witch?? Are you daft? I haven't been able to make heads or tails of this conversation from the start!"
Irritated and flustered, she threw her gloved hands up in a moment of wordless emotion. Honestly! They were communicating on two entirely different levels!
"I hope that if you should need something of me, that you state it simply! And if this is indeed simply an attempt at conversation, then please do make my privy to whatever thoughts are getting you from one statement to the next! I truly cannot follow you at all!"

Rhindeer

"What? What? Whoa! No!" Faolán threw up his hands, a placating gesture he hoped would ward off her wrath. Honestly! How was he supposed to talk to this lady?! She took offense to everything he said and read things into his words that he didn't even know were there!

"No, no! Of course you wouldn't buy something from a witch, m'lady! I mean, what I meant to say is, okay. I just thought, maybe, ya know. Maybe you fought a witch and took that as your trophy?"

His words faded off a little at the end, uncertainty in his voice as he braced for more anger. He looked sidelong at her, body angled away and hands still raised as though he were prepared to block an assault. "Not saying that's bad!" he quickly added. "Because that would be impressive! Really impressive! Not that it's not already!"

Oh, Ansgar. Maybe he should just stop talking.

Blue

Stop talking, indeed. At this point, it might be for the best. The conversation was already rather askew. One eyebrow arched sharply in response to his next statement, and she wasn't sure if she was angry or just plain flabbergasted.
"I...what?? Why...why would I take the clothes off of a...what?? What?"
She looked down at her dress, and then back at the young man, still somewhere between emotions. She just...couldn't fathom what he was going on about.
"I bought this dress from one whom imports dresses from outside the country."
She spoke slowly with emphasis on certain words. Perhaps this way, they could communicate. Maybe. Hopefully. She let out a brisk sigh after taking in a deep breath. Ok, calm and steady and slow. When one tactic fails, you must try another.
"I do not believe you were trying to be rude, sir. However, I'm still entirely in the dark as to whatever it was you were trying to do. So perhaps we shall begin again, this time with introductions. I am Lady Lucine Avakian. And you are?"
There. Perhaps now they could make leeway. She had spoken slowly, and succinctly. Yes, this should do...it should not be so terribly difficult for them to communicate at this pace...right?

Rhindeer

...Oh.

That made sense. Even if it was significantly less exciting and impressive. Faolán relaxed at that, though he couldn't help it that his shoulders sagged in disappointment. And here he'd been hoping for some impressive tale about the Mordecai that slayed a witch and took her dress for her own, wearing it as a trophy to remind all other witches of her deed, so that they might think twice before performing their evil acts!

That sounded really neat. It sounded like something a Mordecai could do!

Buying it from a vendor was rather boring and unheroic. And also more confusing! Why would she want to wear a witch's dress?

However, even he saw that it would be unwise to press the issue much more—she was giving him a clear cut signal there by choosing to reset the entire conversation. Running his hands through his hair, Faolán smiled and held out his hand—then paused. Wait. That was how men greeted. Should he greet her like a lady? Er, judging by how she was acting, probably!

"Er, nice to meetcha, Lady Avakian! I'm Faolán Ruane," he said, and held his hand out anyway. It was probably best to let her decide what the proper greeting was, he decided. "I'm, uh, sorry for the confusion and stuff. I hope I didn't offend!"

Blue

Luckily for Faolan, Lucine didn't seem to mind his uncertainty about how to properly greet her. True, she'd have preferred the customary kiss on the knuckles, but that was a rare feat among her Mordecai fellows. She'd come to accept the fact not everyone understood basic customs and manners.
Thus, when he held his hand out, she took his in a very firm grasp and gave it a few curt shakes.
"Ser Ruane then, a pleasure."
She released his hand, pleased that things were going far better now. Her face had even relaxed into something of a neutral state - she actually looked like the lovely young lady she was, rather than a scowling soldier.
"As I said, I do not believe you were attempting to be rude. There was no offense, just...the confusion. I am glad to be having a more even conversation with you now."
Hm, now then, what did one talk about with strangers? Ladies and nobles she had grown up with, Mordecai she now knew, but...what about passersby on the street? It was not often that anyone attempted to engage her in conversation (which might have something to do with her default angry gaze), and she was left momentarily uncertain.
"Well, Ser Ruane...what brings you to this marketplace, if I may ask?"

Rhindeer

For someone so ladylike, she had a surprisingly strong, firm grip. Faolán blinked at that as she shook his hand, not controlling much of it himself; he was too distracted by the sudden shift in her personality, transforming into a chipper and happy woman instead of a frankly frightening terror.

"Uh, yeah, a pleasure! Sorry for the confusion, anyway! Ah..."

He shifted his weight a little and winced as the pressure sent a small pang up his leg. The wound was mostly healed, but the scar tissue was still pink and tender and so delicate it was easily reopened. "Well, I was mostly just here to look around, pass some time, you know, the usual stuff! I got kinda stuck here, you see."

He motioned to his leg and then looked back to Lucine, a small smile touching his lips. Now that the former awkwardness was starting to fade, now that he was getting his second chance at a better conversation, he was also starting to notice that she was actually rather pretty. "Got attacked by a monster, I did! Took a chunk of me outta my leg, but I put up a good fight, showed it what for and all that! Unfortunately that meant getting stuck here, so here I am! How about you, m'lady?"

Blue

Naturally Faolan had no idea the true strength in her - he could not see the calluses on her hands through her gloves, or the very evident musculature on her frame through her long, sleeved dress.
Releasing him from her assertive grasp, she stood ready to hear what he had to say. She was, truthfully, fairly curious. She'd not really thought to chat much with those outside nobility or Mordecai...how they went about their daily lives, so different from hers, now intrigued her.
Well, now that she wasn't thinking about training or her job, forced as she was to take some time away. She still wasn't sure she could enjoy it, but she might as well try.

As Faolan spoke, Lucine's eyebrows arched over gold speckled green eyes right on cue. A monster? Certainly now she was interested - after all, as a Mordecai, she'd seen more than her fair share of strange things.
"A monster, truly? Of what sort was it? Were you able to slay it then?"
At his similarly posed question, she simply waved a gloved hand.
"Nothing so interesting. Forced time away from the barracks and my duties. I believe they worry overmuch about my wellbeing - or more likely, are not used to someone who works so tirelessly."

Rhindeer

Faolán perked up. He could never pass up the chance to expound upon what had been, thus far, the most terrifying but epic experience of his life!

Of course, he'd just casually leave out the part where he'd screamed bloody murder and nearly shit himself in fear.

He rubbed the back of his neck. "I didn't slay it, exactly, but I gave it some good stabs with my sword! It got my leg and dragged me off, and the forest was all dark and confusing, so I didn't get to really see much of it. But I smelled it and heard it. It was big, like a giant dog, had a lot of teeth and was all...musty smelling. Very nasty. Anyway, it let go when I stabbed it enough, and it probably bled out! I hope! I did stab it an awful lot."

He hadn't stuck around to find out. Bravery had been the very last thing on his mind then. But now that he thought about it...

"Gosh. I hope it did...it'd be awful if it was still out there. It was just all really confusing and happened super fast!"

Blue

Lucine had mixed feelings about that story. On the one hand, it was quite impressive to survive such an encounter. On the other...the creature could potentially still be at large. That both worried her and...might give her something to do. Something productive, that is.
"You are lucky to have escaped. Some mix of luck and quick thinking was likely to thank."
But she already looked deep in thought, lifting a gloved hand up to tap at her chin.
"Still, it would be quite negligent of me not to look into the matter further. If you did not in fact cause a mortal wound, then we may have a dangerous and injured creature wandering nearby. I do believe I shall have to investigate this. Can you tell me where exactly this encounter first took place? Or perhaps, better yet, show me where it was."

Rhindeer

Whoa, what!

Oh dear. He was starting to regret giving out so much information...

And yet, he also knew he couldn't rightly refuse. He was a soldier! It was his duty, protecting people and stuff! If he couldn't do this--of he couldn't at least show her the place--then he may as well pack up his father's sword and go home right now, because what he'd been through was, according to the other soldiers, just a small taste of what he'd have to face. And this was what he wanted, was what he'd always dreamed of...even if this life was scarier than his dreams.

She was right. If it wasn't dead, it could end up hurting someone else. Maybe even killing them...

He grimaced. "I...yeah." He rolled his shoulders back and stood up straight, looking her dead in the eye. "Yeah. I remember exactly where it was. Don't think I'll ever forget it." There was a small pause. "Um...ya mean to go now?"

Blue

Something that resembled a smile passed her lips then - it was of the triumphant sort. Wonderful, she now had a guide capable and willing to take her near the lair of this beast. It's hunting grounds. Who knew what it was...though that did trouble her somewhat. In all honesty, she should request backup of some kind. Mordecai were fierce in their own right, but mages were their specialty - as far as she knew, her ability to suppress magic only extended to people, not creatures.
Still, this would be a worthy challenge. She had spent so much time training, it would be shameful to run from a mere beast.
She'd simply have to keep her wits about her, and tread carefully.

At that question, she glanced down at the lad's leg, and then back up at his face. Perhaps she had been overeager.
She bowed her head to him slightly.
"I apologize for my rash behavior. You are still in the process of healing. It would benefit us both if you were whole and healthy again before setting off. Where is it you are staying, and who is seeing to your healing?"

Tags: