Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

FREAKIN' FINALLY. [Bluuuuue!]

Started by Rhindeer, September 16, 2012, 02:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

When Raama bounced out of the seat, Yarra twisted around to look, and saw that man again--Raama's father--with Sakkata. Turning back around, he hunched his shoulders and stayed put. From what Sakkata had told him, it sounded like it would be best to stay quiet and out of sight while they...figured things out.

Besides, meeting new people was always horribly awkward, and he'd still rather not.

For his part, Hatame kept up with Sakkata, though the closer they got to the wagon, the more he slowed, hung back a little as nerves started to grip him. Oh gods. He was a father. This was his kid. He didn't know the first thing about parenthood! Gods, what if he fucked it up and she hated him? What if...?

But then she ran out to greet them, his little winged child with his hair and everything, and she was so damned adorable as she clung to Sakkata and hid, as kids did. Awkwardly, Hatame just stood there, giving what he hoped was a friendly smile and not the nervous one it felt like.

"Hey, kiddo," he said, and then Sakkata introduced them. And it wasn't the introduction he expected.

Her...mate?

So...she...she still considered them together after all?

Oh fuck, oh fuck, this was too many emotions at once to handle and he didn't know what to do with any of them. And Raama. Fucking Raama. How had he helped make such an adorable kid? Look at her hair, even! Like his in reverse. And were her eyes green? Fuck...she was precious...

Please, please like him...

Because right now, he knew he was just that strange man that randomly decided to show up.

Sucking in a breath, swallowing passed the lump in his throat, and forcing himself to focus on one thing at a time, Hatame gave a sheepish grin and turned a little so Raama could see his back. "Heh, sorry, no wings right now!" he said, and then turned back to her and crouched down to be more on her level. "But sometimes I have them! I'll show them to you sometime, okay, kiddo?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Blue

Hatame was subject to more of that stare, but at least now it seemed that her curiosity was getting the better of her. She could tell this was not an ordinary introduction, even as she slowly stepped away from her mom and toward the stranger. A stranger called Hatame, that momma said was her...
She pursed her lips, lacing her fingers behind her and rocking back and forth on her little draconic feet. Her wings fluttered, and then she leaned in a bit.
"Do you really have wings? What do they look like? Are they big? How come I can't see them?"
Behind her, Sakkata relaxed somewhat in her stance. Questions were good. Raama was genuinely interested, if not entirely certain. Normally the little girl warmed up easily to strangers, after a momentary hesitation. But it seemed that even she understood that this was different.
Watching Hatame's reaction, she wondered how he'd choose to answer her. Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to transform. Heh, Raama would probably like that anyway.

Rhindeer

Some of the tension seeped out of Hatame when Raama left her mother's side to come a little closer, genuine interest in her expression, and his own smile grew. Haha, it was always the wings that did it, wasn't it? Always the perfect icebreaker in any situation! Okay, this he could handle. This he could do. This was easy enough, and hard to fuck up.

Chuckling at her barrage of questions, he nodded. "You bet I have wings! They're just, well...they're hidden right now, because I'm not in my real shape. They're really big, though, and black. Your mommy's seen them lots of times, so..."

So why couldn't his daughter see them, too?

And right then, more than anything, he wanted to see the look on her face when he showed them off. This right here was a thing they had in common, so maybe it was only fitting that it was the first thing they bonded over?

Rubbing the back of his neck, he looked over at Sakkata. "So...I don't see why you can't see them? Would that be okay with you, Sakki? I mean, I'll have to change first..." As in, get out of his clothes before he shifted properly.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Blue

Raama was definitely interested now. Real shape? She scrunched her nose as she tried to work out exactly what he meant by that.
"Momma's seen them??"
She glanced over her shoulder at Sakkata, who was grinning mildly. Suddenly the vote was given to the Drygan mother, and she arched an eyebrow. Raama leaned forward with excitement.
"Please momma??"
"Well it's certainly not something I had planned to hide. Go ahead Hatame, she wants to see after all."
"Yay!" Raama bounced once and whirled around again, pale yellow dress doing a bit of a twirl with the quickness of the movement. Her own wings were puffed out and a flutter with her excitement.
"Show me your wings, show me show me!"

Rhindeer

Fuck, Raama was too cute! The way her wings puffed up, the way she twirled around in excitement when the go ahead was given--it made him want to melt. Instead of melting, though, he flashed Sakkata a wide grin, got to his feet, and turned his grin on Raama.

"Alright! Get ready now! I'll just need you to stand riiiight there where you are, and then I'll do my magic trick, okay? So just close your eyes until I tell you when, otherwise the magic won't work."

Taking a few steps backwards to give himself some space, Hatame made quick work of stripping off his clothing (completely forgetting his modesty again, not that it ever existed) and then focused inward on the part of him that was not human. As always when it had been a while since he'd shifted, it took a little time, but finally it happened.

In a blink, the human vanished, replaced by the gryphon, a large, powerful beast that was obviously a little worse for wear, considering his lacking meals. Fortunately, most of his malnourishment was hidden beneath fur and feather, and he made sure to puff out both to their full effect, stretching his wings out and fanning the feathers out to make himself look far larger and more impressive.

"When!"

He prayed he didn't just end up frightening the poor thing.

Blue

"Whaaat, that's not how magic works!"
Raama knew enough of her own magic to feel pretty confident protesting. Still, Sakkata just chuckled and tapped her in the back with the end of her tail.
"Just humor him."
Scrunching up her nose, Raama gave an over exaggerated pout at her mom, before turning and slapping a hand over her eyes.

Not that she was about to actually listen. She opened her fingers to watch this 'magic' of his, and was not disappointed. His nakedness really didn't bother her much, she was too young to care, and far too focused on what he would do.
And then he disappeared, and a large feathered and furred beast appeared.
Hatame hardly had to say 'when', for a squeal of excitement was already in the air.
"It's a...it's a Hatame-thing!!"
She had no idea what he was, but she ran up and into one of his large wings. A big feathered wing, just like her little ones! Huge feathers! Huge! And then she was ducking under it and flinging herself onto Hatame's back, flailing her legs a little. She was giggling all the while.
"He's something called a Gryphon. It's like part bird, part lion. Well, I guess that's simplifying it a bit..."
"Kitty-bird!"

Rhindeer

Far from frightened, Raama was about as excited about this as Sakkata had been back in the day, and if Hatame could grin in this form, he would have. Instead, he settled on a throaty chuckle and kept still as Raama came in to investigate--and then flung herself onto his back, giggling. Yup! Safe to say this was a hit, all right!

Wings still spread, Hatame made sure she was properly on him before he began to walk in a slow circle, taking her on a little ride. She was too young for him to consider flying with her, so this would have to do. Tail swishing, he walked around Sakkata--or, rather, strutted, head up high and neck arched.

And then he squawked a laugh at her announcement.

Kitty-bird?

"Ha! Kitty-bird! Yup! That's me!" he said in his strange, hissing voice. "And one day, when you're older, I'll be able to fly with you, too! If you're not already flying with those wings of yours by then, that is."

Blue

Even Sakkata wasn't able to completely bite back her laugh at that. Kitty bird? Well, that DID sum it up eh? Her amusement continued as Hatame literally strutted around her. Had he not their daughter on his back, she might have considered tripping the smug bastard.
He was lucky today, and instead she just smirked, hands on her hips.

"Your voice sounds all funny! Oooh oh oh oh I want to go flying!"
Her wings were fluttering at the mere thought, meanwhile she was hauling herself up to sit astride her dad more securely. With two hands full of his fur, she looked like she could have been riding a horse.
"Hey kitty-bird! I'm Raamalooke! But momma and Yarra call me Raama, so you can too!"
There, proper introduction complete, at least in her opinion. But speaking of Yarra, she suddenly remembered he was back in the cart.
"Yarra look! I'm riding my kitty-bird! I got my wings from him! Isn't he neat??"

Rhindeer

"Well, Raama, I'm Hatame. Your...your father," Hatame said with a gryphon's smile, and after a pause, added quietly, "So, if you want, you can call me that. Father, or dad, or daddy...just, you know, only if you want."

He might have said more, rushed on to change the subject before things got too awkward--because he liked to think she'd be able to call him dad or daddy or something, but it might be too soon? And he didn't want to experience the rejection--but that was when Raama called to Yarra.

Ears going back, Hatame turned his head just a little, just enough so that he could see the wagon out of one eye. Yarra's head popped up to look when he was called--and Hatame snorted air out his nose when the other drygan's eyes bugged at the sight of the gryphon.

Tail flicking anxiously, Yarra managed a small grin and waved slowly. Wait. Wasn't the gryphon her father? Who...she was riding? Why was she treating her father as a pet?

"Very neat, Raama!" he only said back, but his expression was one of deep, blank confusion.

And that was when it hit Hatame, too.

Wait.

"Isn't he neat"? "I'm riding my kitty-bird"?

Sakkata had mentioned she treated Yarra as a pet of sorts.

Was that what was going on here?!

Hatame faltered in his step, but then pushed onward, because he wasn't sure how to explain this to her--and because he didn't want to ruin the fun she was having. But...pet? Oh no. No, no, no! He didn't want his daughter to think of him as a pet!

Passing by Sakkata again, he tried to catch her eye and shot her a desperate look. "Sakki," he hissed under his breath. "I think she thinks I'm a pet!"

Blue

That was...well. Well. Ah.
Sakkata had a terrible moment where she wanted to laugh, but even she realized that might have been a bit much given the gravity of Hatame's feelings. She clenched her jaw to keep it in, and pondered heavily over how to explain to Raama that Hatame was equal to her mother. Honestly, this was entirely her own fault. She'd never really mentioned Hatame to Raama. It was...it had been too painful. Just thinking of him had made her innards twist up like snakes, and seeing him more and more in her daughter meant that speaking of him would likely have brought her to tears. It was foolish, but she still had too much pride to let her little daughter see her cry.
But now that definitely left them in a predicament.

Raama continued to ride 'her kitty-bird' happily, head up high like she was terribly proud of him. Treating Yarra as she did was one thing - he was submissive, and well protected by the two of them. Hatame needed to be treated differently, although he would never be able to stand up to his own daughter in terms of strength. How to explain all this to her? It could all go very, very wrong - very, very easily.
Finally, Sakkata took a step toward them and placed her hand on Hatame's head to stop him, leaning gently against his shoulder as she looked down at her daughter.
Raama blinked up at her momma.
"What's the matter? Do you want to ride the kitty-bird too?"
"...Been there, done that, of a sort." She actually couldn't help the words that left her, and again found herself wanting to laugh, though again she managed not to.
"No my lovely. This is my mate. He is not the same as Brother, or Yarra."
Raama tilted her head at her mother, surprised but now eager to know what she meant.
"Hatame is your father. He said it before. Just like I am your momma, this is your daddy. You only have one, he's very important."
Raama's eyebrows furrowed as she thought hard with her little kid's brain. Sakkata smiled softly at her, and then patted her own stomach.
"Remember when I told you that you came from my belly, and that's why I'm your momma? Well, Hatame is the one that put you in my belly. He's very important too, and he loves you just as much as I do. I made him come find us, and he did. Do you understand Raamalooke?"

At her full name, Raama knew this was very important. Biting her lip, she glanced down at the back of Hatame's feathered head, then back up at her mom. She felt funny. This was a lot of stuff to think about. Quietly, she slid off of Hatame's back, and then stood back to look at him. Different from Brother and Yarra. He was...just like momma? She looked up at her mom, then back at Hatame, her face clearly troubled. Her smile soft, Sakkata moved toward her daughter, and gently stroked her head. Raama buried her face into her familiar warmth.
"Do you understand Raama?"
"....nuh-uh..."
Sakki just chuckled at her child.
"Don't be stubborn. I already know that you're very smart."
Still, quietly, Sakkata motioned for Hatame to come over. This wasn't exactly easy on him, she knew that. But she knew from experience just how hard it was not to love this big furred idiot, and she had little doubt that her daughter would come to love him as well.

@Rhi-Rhi

Rhindeer

Hatame made a sound deep in his throat, something between a choke and a stifled laugh, when Sakkata made her 'riding' comment. That was a good ice-breaker, and by some miracle, Hatame managed to keep his beak shut, even though he desperately wanted to invite her to ride him anytime. Too soon? Probably too soon.

And not the time, either, for Sakkata's next words sobered him when she introduced him, once again, as her mate.

Even though she had said it once before, it had a similar effect the second time around, and he tilted his head so he could look up at her with one bird eye. Good thing he wasn't in human form at the moment, or he might have teared up a little, and that was always embarrassing.

He kept quiet as Sakkata did her best to explain what a father was, and when Raama slipped off his back and looked at him, he...well, he imagine this form might not be the best one to be in for this. The poor kid looked so troubled, and he supposed anyone would be, being told a big, feathered thing was the same as your mother, and that it had helped created you?

He did rather look like a pet in this form, heh.

And how strange must it be, to never know one's father and then...have him come into your life all of the sudden?

Had Sakkata ever mentioned him at all?

His heart clenched at that thought, but he buried it away. One thing at a time. It didn't matter, anyway. The here and the now was what counted.

When Raama buried her face against Sakkata, Hatame moved and gathered his clothes. He shifted, pulled them back on, and didn't bother with the boots. He walked barefoot to join them, and then crouched down near Raama to be more on her level. Reaching out, he tapped her lightly on the shoulder.

"Hey, kiddo," he said, and smiled warmly. "You know how your mommy doesn't have wings, but you do? I gave you your wings, so you could have some just like mine. And one day, when you're big enough, I'm going to teach you how to fly, too."

Blue

Sakkata continued to stroke her daughter's head, smoothing out the stray hairs, feeling the little body press into her own. She knew her daughter was trying to process it all, to make sense of it in her understanding of her world and the people in it. Raama acted childish, as child she was, but she was very sharp and clever. It wasn't so much that Sakkata feared she would not come to understand, but rather that she would refuse to acknowledge it or reject Hatame outright. That would be heartbreaking for him, truly heartbreaking.
And it, too, would be her fault.
She pressed her lips together tightly, trying to keep the tension from flooding her body. She had no right to cause Hatame any more pain, and yet it could happen now, and was almost entirely out of her control. She could not make her daughter accept and love him.

Raama scrunched into her mom as she felt the poke, but she listened to him closely. Momma had never said how she'd gotten into her stomach before...so this was the answer...?
Turning her head slightly, she looked at Hatame with one eye, her wings shifting on her back.
"...Really? You'll teach me?"
She had been very excited to try flying on his back before, but the idea of actually flying with her own wings was somewhat foreign to her. It was not as though her mom could teach her something like that. But...her...dad could?
She stared at him a long while, still looking a bit troubled. But momma said so...and momma didn't lie...

Shyly, Raama reached out a small hand and grabbed gently at the white bit of Hatame's hair.

@Rhi-Rhi

Rhindeer

"Of course I'll teach you!" Hatame said with a wide grin, tilting his head as she gently touched his white hair. As simple as the gesture was, it made his heart both ache and soar all at once--because as small as it was, it was a small gesture of acceptance, in a way.

It was a big step up from how she'd been hiding from him moments earlier, and it was enough to give him hope, because he wanted nothing more than to be her father.

"One day, you'll be an even better flier than I am, I bet! And then you'll be teaching me all the cool tricks you figured out!"

Blue

At that, Raama giggled softly, for she did so enjoy showing off new things she had learned. Her little wings fluttered with anticipation - how she was now eager for them to grow! Before she'd paid them little mind, but now she knew their true possible purpose. Flying! Something that not even her momma could do! But...but....her dad could. And he was gonna teach her!
Turning back, she grinned up at her mom, her earlier shyness all but forgotten.

Sakkata smiled back at her daughter, and relief flooded her. It was a step in the right direction. It may take time for Raama to fully understand, and she did not even want to consider what might happen the first time Hatame need reprimand her, but it was still a step. Her eyes flickered over her child's head to search Hatame's face. No...not her child. Their child. She was long overdue to accept and embrace that fact.
"Well Raama, why don't we get ready to head home now? I'm sure your father would like to see it too?"

At that Raama bounced a little.
"I can show him my room!!"

@Rhi-Rhi

Rhindeer

"Your home?" Hatame repeated, his joy at seeing Raama's joy (and the budding feelings of acceptance that came with it!) replaced by a small jolt of surprise.

"Like, a house home? With rooms?" He blinked down at Raama. "You have your own room?"

Because all his time knowing Sakkata, it had been a life of wandering, of never staying in one place long. The longest they ever stayed in a place was that one convent! Aside from that, it was a nomadic lifestyle--because Sakkata could never afford to stop, lest her own kind catch up with her.

And Hatame knew all too well what happened then.

Except apparently in this case, he thought with a glance at the male drygan settled in the wagon. He still didn't trust that one. He'd always thought of Terri as an anomaly, a shining beacon of goodness! Maybe that male was the same way, but he still felt all too iffy about it.

And it totally had nothing to do with the fact that he was male!

(Except maybe a little.)