Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sometimes lying is good. (Rubaiyyat!)

Started by Anonymous, July 03, 2011, 12:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

So. He woke up one morning and one eye just would not open. So he poked it, and it was open. Which meant he couldn't see. He'd rushed to a mirror to stare at it, it moved like his other eye, it wasn't lopsided or staring in a different direction. The iris and pupil were lavender though, which was strange. His eyes were supposed to be brown.

That was freaky. That was wrong. So it took him about fifteen minutes to decide that he had a problem on his hands and to run, not walk, to the infirmiary. There was a lady there, he'd gotten stiches once and he saw her. Maybe she could help? Merrick something, a mordecai like he was supposed to be. It was twenty minutes past the ass-crack of dawn when he rushed in. "Help!" His voice was clear, "I think I'm dying!"

Hek-Akiz knew full well that he wasn't dying. It would get him attention sooner though.

Anonymous

She wasn't the senior medic here. Technically, she was still a patient. Sort of.

A senior medic wouldn't have been sleeping in the infirmary, on a hard little bench, getting up every two hours to check on all the mixtures and tinctures and salves that were bubbling away or stewing or whatever it was they did when she wasn't looking...it got to oh-dark-hundred hours, and she'd been up no less than seven times.

Damn seniors. She knew they loved it, sending some other poor sod to do night shift...grumble grumble grumble bitch bitch moan bitch. She was entitled to a little bitch every now and again. Quietly, where no real patients could wander in and hear.

Speaking of - this one sounded mightily panicked for so early in the morning. Definitely male, and not one of the children either, but his voice was hanging out somewhere near the rafters, and rising fast!

She sighed and tightened the straps on her leg. She'd only just taken it off again five minutes ago.

"Dying? You're not dying. You're making too much noise to be dying, and not enough gurgling. Gurgle some more."

If she sounded brisk enough, it would reassure him. She hadn't figured out why yet, but so far it seemed to hold true.

Ah yes. This one. She knew him by sight well enough - he was a tall one, and not many people ambled through life with purple streaks in their hair unless they wanted to be memorable! If her memory was any good at half past fuck-you in the morning, she'd stitched him up a couple of times for minor mishaps in weapons training. What was his name again?

"Sit down, and we'll have a look at you to see what's...whoa. I've never seen anything like that before."

His eye was purple. Solid purple. No iris, no pupil, just a strange silvery purple sheen. She'd have thought it was a glass one, except...yeah. Surely she'd remember if anyone had needed a glass eye fitted lately.

"Did you know your eye's gone purple?"

Anonymous

"I still say I'm dying!" Hek grumbled minus the gurgling. That was undignified and he was hardly that to begin with. The abrupt change in the way she spoke, mostly that 'whoa' made him worry and he stared with his eyebrows drawn up and his lower lip poking out. Much like it did when he got stitches.

"Of course I know my eye has gone purple!" Hek snapped, his arms flailing slightly before he rubbed at the eye and took a deep breath. "Look, I'm really sorry for barging in here, but I'm really freaked out. I can't see anything out of that eye and it's already bad enough that I'm deaf in that ear and now I can't see?"

Hek-Akiz took a deep breath, "I think I'm going to need a hug or something. Do you know what's wrong?"

Anonymous

She wasn't heartless. Not entirely.

"I said I'd never seen anything like it before. I didn't say we couldn't try to fix it. If I have anything to do with it...I'll do what I can, okay? We'll find an answer for you."

She rummaged around in a drawer for a moment, pulling out a candle which she lit from under the nearest smouldering brazier.

"You don't seem to be in any pain. That's a good sign. Other than the fact that it's, you know, purple, I can't see anything unusual about it - the pink bit when you fold your eyelid back and all the blood vessels are still the right colour, you're not oozing anything suspicious. I know you said you couldn't see out of it, but...there are different levels of I can't see. Look straight at the candle and cover your good eye for me, please?"

If he was totally blind, things would just be black. He wouldn't know it if she blew out all the lights in here and left him sitting in the dark. Hopefully, it wasn't as complete as that - he might still be able to tell when there was light around, at least, even if he had no idea what it came from...

"Can you see the light?"

Anonymous

Hek-Akiz almost covered his good eye before he went to look at the candle which might have made things difficult and mind-achy for everyone involved. Namely the poor medic-lady. The words 'oozing anything suspicious', made him tense an he started too imagine all sorts of things. Hek moved his hand up his face around the blinded eye before he moved his other hand to the other cheek. The silvery-lavender skin was cool to the touch, the sensation was hardly there at all.

As instructed he eventually looked at the candle and covered his eye, carefully cupping his palm over it and then gasped softly. "Well, I can see the light. Sorta. It's sorta like looking through a film." Hek closed his eyes and then opened them again after a moment as a sort of test. "Yeah, I can see the light. So, does that mean I'm not blind after all?" There was a moments pause, "Actually, do you know what any of the purple stuff is?"

Anonymous

"Nope, sorry. You're still technically blind...but the good news is we might be able to do something about it. Maybe."

She'd never really thought about what the purple stuff might be. She'd always figured it was a scar or a birthmark or something, a permanent fixture on an otherwise unremarkable (pleasant, sure, but not dramatically different) face. Did he mean...that purple stuff hadn't been there long if he was asking about it. Now she thought about it, she would have sworn it hadn't covered quite so much skin the last time she'd been asked to stitch him up...

"How long have you had the purple stuff? I've never seen you without it."

Anonymous

Well that sucked. Hek huffed and his lower lip poked out farther than his top lip before he looked up towards her and then blinked a few times. Sucked that she couldn't just scrape it off, even if that was a little gross. But it was a hindrance, he'd be stuck helping out in the medical bay or something. Not that that was bad or anything.

"Uh. A while? A few years. It kinda... showed up one day, on my temple and it grew. And its turning my hair purple and making me deaf, dumb and blind." Hek-Akiz paused for a moment before he pushed his hand through his hair, the purple fan springing back into place like it was unable to move. Which it wasn't really, "Actually, the dumb part is all me."

Anonymous

"My God, did you pick up some kind of mutant ringworm or something? It just appeared, huh?"

Mentally, Merrick was ticking off a list of all the things that might have an effect on it. Eyebright, cornflowers, fennel...

It'd help a hell of a lot if either of them knew what in God's name it was!

Anonymous

Hek stared at her, horror slowly made his mouth drop open and he leaned away. Of course leaning away from his own face didn't work, but he tried.

"I don't even know what a ringworm IS."

Anonymous

"Oh, stop it. You great jessie, you're panicking over nothing!"

She hoped. Ish.

Anonymous

Hek stared. Horror, he looked down at himself before he frowned and then swallowed.

"I'm not jessie! do I look like a jessie? my name is Hek!"

Anonymous

"Oh good, you can worry about something that's NOT your eye, too. That's another good sign. You're doing well, Hek."

Merrick smiled. Briskness sometimes meant bruising people's feelings a little, but at least then they were too busy being outraged to be afraid.

She turned - it was still a little awkward doing that in a small space, especially with all the weight resting on her stump - and inspected the nearest shelf critically, squinting to read. She'd tried to neaten things up, but it was still a bit of a dog's breakfast around here; the little pots and bottles and things that common remedies were kept in all looked very much alike, each with a tiny little peeling label on one side, and...well, you know what they say about doctors and handwriting!

Every time she thought she'd finally got the order memorised, the seniors would add in another seventy doses of something, shoved on the shelves apparently at random!

Eyes, eyes, eyes...

She pulled a tiny bottle out from the crowd.

"This has an infusion of eyebright and cornflower in it, sort of like drops. What I want you to do is, every time you wash your face, wash your bad eye out with it. It won't hurt. For now, we'll try that."