Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Who needs an excuse to travel? (Moonstruck)

Started by Wrathwyrm, October 26, 2017, 01:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

With a smirk on her face and a glint in her eye, Kate took that statement and basically went 'Challenge Accepted!' as she stood up, taking something of the food on the table with her as she did.

"Follow me."

Out of the kitchen, through the dining room, into the main hall, picking up the candlestick to kill Mr. Boddy with and into the door that would take to them to the right side of the house now.  Here, there was a sitting room, and two more doors.  The one on the left was then opened aaand...oh my.  A modest library collection, shelves of books!

"Novels, history, and things on how stuff works.  Not all in-depth, but a good starter, to be sure.  This is how my mother educated me before I joined the campus."

Moonstruck

Without thinking, Sesh wrapped her arms around Kate in a tight hug.

"Thank you. You don't know how much this means to me."

Then, letting Kate go, she began to pick books off the bookshelves. Anything that looked even slightly interesting got chosen, and she didn't stop until she couldn't carry any more. By that point, the stack in her arms fit neatly under her chin.

"Would you mind directing me to somewhere I could read these?"

Wrathwyrm

She hadn't been expecting that either, and it left Kate looking a bit surprised, because...the only other people who ever hugged her were her parents.  Nobody else had gotten close to her in that sense, so it left her hesitant, which is okay since it was a short thing.  Maybe she couldn't know how important it was, exactly.  Still, it allowed her to settle into a smile.

"Maybe not, but I'm glad I could help."

She watched Sesh pick out book after book, and...endearingly...it reminded her of herself.  Well, she'd been younger at the time, but it boiled down to the same thing: Katherine Bellows coming into the room, pulling out a bunch of books, and taking them to her room.  Heck, some of them were still up there.  She might have to bring them down, in case Sesh needed an additional reference.  When asked about somewhere to read...

"Well, there's the sitting room, of course.  I ended up using my room alot."

She indicated the room they just came from, heading out of the library.

"I'm gonna do a bit of tinkering while you're doing that, okay?  It's just the next room."

To her, it was the work room.  To us, in the present, it would accurately be called a Laboratory.

Moonstruck

Sesh curled up on a chair with the books on the floor next to her, and proceeded to completely lose track of time. She read through most of the books about how stuff works, and started on history. Much to her excitement, she finally figured how the hell clocks worked, and why pendulums did that thing.

Eventually, Kate came back into the sitting room, finding Sesh in exactly the same place that she left her. After a few moments, Sesh looked up, her eyes slightly unfocused.

"I think my brain might burst in a minute. How long have I been reading?"

Wrathwyrm

Well, come on, girl!  You just spent time understanding how a clock works!  You can read it now!  It's right over there on the wall!

Err, ahem...

I mean, Kate came walking out the work room, looking drowsy, when Sesh spoke up to her.

"Hmm?"

Looking over at the clock, she was surprised to find...

"Wow, is it that late already?  It's past one in the morning."

That explained her fatigue.  She'd spent several hours trying to figure out something to create, but instead had pretty much put together what will later be referred to as an M.C. Escher model.  Kate yawned and stretched now, seeming more mellow as she spoke.

"You really remind me of me, Sesh.  I hope not everything, but the good parts, maybe."

Moonstruck

Sesh laughed quietly, standing up and picking up her book pile. She hadn't read all of it, which was sad, but she took them back to the library, and put them back on the shelves.

"Thank you for this Kate. I'd better head back to where I'm staying, or someone may steal my all my stuff."

She turned around and smiled at Kate.

"And I do need to do at least some work tonight, or I'm not eating breakfast. Maybe we could meet up sometime? Before I leave Uthlyn, that is."

Wrathwyrm

Cue the immediate confusion of Katherine Bellows.  She tilted her head thus, and verbalized it.

"You say you've got to go somewhere or they'll take your stuff, and you have work this late.  And I guess if you didn't mean to come back here, you're actually leaving soon.  But...what job are you doing that's so short and so late at night?"

Somewhere, deep within her mind, a dark and terrible feeling that something was wrong crept in.  It has the cry of a young, hurting girl, begging her daddy to stop because she'll be a good girl.  It was something that resided at the edge of her consciousness that told her there might be darkness ahead, metaphorically, so it didn't try to consume her with the old feelings she had when she was young, the ones that made her withdraw inside of herself like a hermetically-sealed turtle.

Tags: