Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Please, Tell Another Tale...

Started by DragonSong, March 23, 2018, 07:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Light began to filter down more steadily as they progressed, and soon enough Krysta was leading him up the gentle slope of the tunnel and out into the forest. Pine trees stretched high high high above their heads, and the brisk chill of autumn that somehow never quite made it into Dreamhaven proper bit into her skin.

She shivered delightedly and spun to grab Maldwyn's hand. "Come on!" She took to the air with a laugh.

quaggan

He breathed a small sigh of relief once they were out of the tunnel. He was worried that his wings would get stuck again. The Princess moved with a practiced ease that hinted at earlier experience with the passage, but he's never come through - he never even knew this place existed to begin with!

His relief was as short-lived as his worry was, quickly replaced by an ever-renewing awe of the beauty around him. He's been to the woods outside before, in search of inspiration and beauty, easy things to find. He truly sympathized with the Princess' plight in that moment - should some cruel law forbid him from venturing forth in search of beauty, surely he would sneak out as well. He was enchanted by the chaotic dance of sunspots on the forest floor. The overbearing canopy, woven of leaves and vines, was spread above, in vain trying to catch all the rays of the sun. A leaf blew past on a gust of the wind, almost as big as Maldwyn himself was. He was tempted to try and catch him, perhaps ride on it for a few fleeting moments. But the princess pulled him away, and he followed.

DragonSong

Krysta smiled at him again as she led him out into the forest, hovering just slightly above the ground.

She easily found what she was looking for-- a "fairy circle", a ring of mushrooms in a near perfect circle that the locals claimed served as the site for fae dances and the like under a full moon.

quaggan

He didn't have the time to miss the leaf for long, as soon he saw their far more tempting destination. He loved dancing in those circles under the full moon - what pixie didn't?! He wondered if the Queen and King ever let their daughter out to enjoy herself, if only under guard. He didn't recall ever seeing her at the dances, but the nobles of the castle probably had their own feasts and celebrations, ones the common folk were not invited to.

As it always was, he couldn't hold one train of thought too long, not when surrounded by such beauty. The vibrant colours of the mushrooms mischievously peeking from beneath the earth were inviting him to surrender to his instinct, to enter the ring and dance with wild abandon. He fluttered closer, suddenly reminded of the weight of the lute at his back. That was an even better idea - he always preferred to express his feelings and thoughts through music. He took off to land on one of the mushrooms, his fingers playing at the strings before he even touched down.

DragonSong

The princess followed him almost cautiously, hesitating a moment before she lit down on the mushroom beside him. She tilted her head and closed her eyes to just listen to him play, a small smile curving at her lips.

quaggan

Should he play a dancing song? He cast a glance at the princess, but she seemed more interested in listening than dancing, at least for now. His attention strayed back to his lute, one of the few things in the world that could hold the full interest of his flighty mind. The song slowly began to take shape, from the first notes into a firmer, more structured yet still free melody. His song didn't aim to outdo the cries of the birds, the whispers of the wind or the rustling of the leaves, but to weave through all those sounds and create a full symphony together. It was part improvisation, part re-purposing parts of other pieces, an infinitely malleable construct that could adapt to any sudden change or new entrance. A bird cried overhead, its shadow passing over the small circle. Maldwyn responded to its call with a bolder plucking of the strings, almost inviting the bird to respond. Unfortunately - or perhaps, fortunately, considering that it could have been carnivorous - the avian didn't react and continued its flight.

DragonSong

Krysta's smile widened and she began to sway gently back and forth to the melody, humming softly in time with the music.

A soft rustle in the nearby underbrush pulled her slightly from the sounds pouring from Maldwyn's instrument and she twisted in place a bit. Her eyes widened.

"Maldwyn," she hissed, reaching back toward him. Her eyes were locked with the amber gaze that peered at her through the branches of a low bush. "Shhh."

quaggan

Perhaps he didn't hear the words of the princess, so lost within the song he was playing. Perhaps he simply considered it yet another part of forest's symphony, something to warrant a response of notes rather than actions. Or perhaps he believed that whatever the mystery creature was, it wouldn't harm them. Either way, he did not interrupt the song, until the beast's shadow fell over him.

DragonSong

"Maldwyn!" Krysta buzzed into the air, grabbing for the minstrel's arm. "Come on, we have to--"

She froze as the beast stalked out into the clearing, auburn-bronze fur almost shimmering in the autumn sunlight. The fox blinked and tilted its head at the two pixies, licking its lips.

quaggan

The symphony was suddenly snuffed out, one jarring note was enough to shatter the song. Lost, his expression was a mix of confusion and surprise as he raised his head, only to see the fox. Oh.

It wasn't his first time seeing one of the animals of the Niahi Woods, but it definitely was his first time seeing one so close! And why was it looking at him this way? Did he accidentally call it here, carelessly announcing their presence with his song?

If so, it was his responsibility to make it right. He could feel the sun's gaze upon him, judgmental and expectant. What could he do? He was no warrior, he couldn't fight off an animal this size. A true hero would throw himself at the beast anyway, to draw its attention so that the princess could escape, but she was holding his arm so tight, he doubted he could move away from her. She appeared to be as entranced by the fox as he was.

The saying was, music could soothe a savage beast - and that was the only thing he could do. He reached for his lute, but his hand never found its target - the fox was vigilant for any sign of movement. The moment one of his prey moved, the beast struck, its paw pinning the minstrel to the ground.

DragonSong

The princess cried out, winging backward through the air as the fox lunged. "Maldwyn!"

The fox turned toward her when she shouted, head tilted...curiously?

Why wasn't it trying to eat them?"

Krysta blinked. "Um...hello. Please don't eat my friend."

The fox tilted his head from side to side-- then slowly removed his paw from the minstrel and sat back, tail swishing through the grass.

Well.

Okay then.

She didn't have much time to worry about that, darting forward to land by the other pixie's side. "Oh my stars, are you alright?!" She eyed the fox warily as she tried to help him up, but the animal just watched them placidly.

quaggan

Was he about to be eaten? He didn't want to be dinner! As much as he respected the nature and all of its creations - how could he not, being so intrinsically tied to it? He could even see a kind of stark nobility in ending one's life to feed another - but he definitely didn't want his life to be over so soon! He only just became the court minstrel!

But what should he do? Pinned, he couldn't move - couldn't even wriggle under the weight! He was panicking, but suddenly, the fox released him. Confused but still hopeful, Maldwyn carefully picked himself off the ground. The princess flew up to him - did she do something to the animal?

"I am unharmed - at least, I think.
Just a bit dazed - also confused.
It caught me in a second's blink
I thought that I'd at least get bruised..."

It was strange that the fox let him go without even taking a bite... He looked at the Princess questioningly.

DragonSong

Krysta returned his questioning look with a befuddled shake of her head. "I-- I just asked him to let you go and he did."

She looked up at the fox cautiously. "Um...thank you?"

The animal's tongue lolled in a lazy grin and he yapped happily, tail wagging a little faster. Rather dazed, the princess looked back to Malwyn, eyes wide.

quaggan

His eyes widened in surprise, but it was something he could accept. She was royalty, after all - it was only natural that every subject of hers, every creature in Niahi Woods would obey. The natural questions such as how did the fox understand her, or how would it even know about royalty and such matters, didn't occur to him.

"I didn't know! I am in awe!
To think you even command beasts!
At your demand, he moved his paw
And I was not harmed in the least!"

DragonSong

"I...don't think I'm commanding him," Krysta said slowly, still seeming a little dazed. "I just...asked."

She fluttered down beside the minstrel and tried to help him to his feet, one eye kept on the fox. The creature seemed perfectly friendly now, tail flicking from side to side as he leaned forward to scent the air around the two pixies.

quaggan

Maldwyn tried to wrap his head around this whole situation, his wings fluttering with excitement. If the fox could be persuaded with just asking, that probably meant he wasn't going to make him his dinner - a hungry animal wouldn't just leave his food alone just because someone asked nicely.

"Do you know what brought this fox here?
From where comes this interest in us?
Did my song fall into his ear?
Why would animals make such fuss?"

If the princess could ask the fox to release him, she could also probably ask why it came here in the first place - were they, unknowingly, trespassing on his territory? Maldwyn couldn't think of other possibilities - his knowledge about most animals was rather limited.

DragonSong

"Um..." Krysta blinked and looked to the fox, who had cocked his head to the side to watch them. "Hello." She waved a little awkwardly, and the fox's tongue lolled from the side of his mouth. "Were we, um, disturbing you?"

The fox blinked, then yipped quickly, ears flicking.

The princess's breath hitched quietly and looked to Maldwyn. "He heard your playing and he wanted to see what was happening. He's never seen a pixie before, and he wasn't sure if we were dangerous."

quaggan

Maldwyn listened intently. He couldn't make anything out of the fox's sounds, although he guessed that the movement of the ears was just as important to conveying the message as the sounds. Still, he wouldn't have been able to understand this strange 'speech', let alone figure out how to ask a question. The Princess' gift was truly an unique one.

His first instinct was to make an offer - if it was the first time the curious fox saw one of their kind, it was a prime opportunity to show him that the pixies of Dreamhaven meant no harm to the animals of Niahi Woods. But perhaps it was better not to immediately take flight to show the animal the wings and more - he didn't want to alarm the fox and get pinned down again. It was better to ask the Princess before trying something.

"Would you ask him a question from me?
Should we put on a little show?
I could fly around for him to see
Next time he meets us, he would know."

DragonSong

Krysta's eyes lit up at the suggestion and she nodded, translating to their vulpine companion.

The fox tilted his head and settled down with a soft yap, crossing his paws over each other. The princess chuckled and fluttered a little higher into the air, pulling Maldwyn with her by the hand.

quaggan

The minstrel laughed with joy, taking flight. Music and stories were his true passion, but flying was something he deeply appreciated as well. There was something truly magical about soaring through the air, free from the jealous pull of the ground. He felt bad for the fox and all the other poor animals who could never taste this freedom.

He wasn't so adept at flying that he could do somersaults in the air like his neighbour Hollyhock could, but he could still make a full circle around the head of the fox. Then he rejoined the princess in floating in front of the animal.