Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

With A Good Compromise, No One Is Happy [spice!]

Started by DragonSong, April 30, 2021, 05:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@visualspice

The Marcell townhouse did not usually play host to major negotiations--and today was really no different, if Andreas gave it another moment's thought. The "negotiation" part itself was nearly over, conducted almost entirely through letters and proxy over the course of the last few months. All that was left was to sign some papers and set a date.

He hadn't even known this was happening until about a week ago.

Which was more warning than his sister had had, admittedly. He glanced sidelong at her from where he stood in the main parlor, unable to sit and just sort of...uselessly hovering at Gavriella's side, as though that might actually do anything to prevent what was happening.

God. What was taking so long? Their parents hadn't even deigned to enter the parlor yet, though he knew their...guests were arriving soon. Were he and Gavi just supposed to wait here? He hated not doing something.

Without thinking, he reached over to take his sister's hand and squeezed gently. "Gavi--" he started, then stopped, sighed, and dragged a hand through his hair in frustration. What was he supposed to say? That he was sorry? That he wished this wasn't happening? That he'd tried to talk their father out of it? She knew all that already--but more importantly, it didn't matter.

So he settled for a soft, "I love you. You know that, right?" He leaned in to kiss the top of her head and gave her fingers another quick squeeze before pulling away to look into her face. "Listen, just...I will always be here for you. No matter what happens after today--if you need me, you just have to ask. Alright?"

visualspice

She found herself sitting on the settee, doll like in her fancy gown and hair drawn up in intricate curls and gems. Even her lips were painted over in ruby red, which at first, was in contrast to the softer color she was used to- but it matched her dress, which was a deep burgundy layered amongst laces of black. If it wasn't so fancy, and there wasn't a splash of color here or there- she would have thought her family had her wearing a funeral gown.

But when she admired herself in the mirror, she was lovely. She frowned and the memories faded back to where she sat.

It had been too long, or perhaps she had been too antsy, and she moved to stand and pace a bit, brother near her side. When she paused at the door, she was wringing her hands and staring out the front. No carriage had arrived yet, but she was still nervous and her stomach was in notes.

Naturally, it was her brother her brought her out of her gloom, and his gentle kiss. She peered up at him, eyes wavering as she tried to smile, but had to bite back her frown.

"Couldn't I just run away? Take one of the horses and just stay at a country house with you until our parents forget about me and this idea to marry me off?"

It was childish, but then again, she still- at many times, acted very much like a child.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

His heart broke a bit for that, and he tried to force a smile of his own as he squeezed her hand again. "You know how tenacious Father is," he muttered. "Do you really think he'd just forget?"

He hesitated a moment, then drew her in against his chest in a brief, tight hug. "Look, the wedding won't be for a few weeks. This is just...finalizing things. Not much has to change once they leave." That was definitely a lie--or at least a stretch--but he hoped it was somewhat comforting.

Andreas was so absorbed in his own anxieties, his worry for his sister, that he didn't actually notice the carriage arrive outside the townhouse and the three figures that approached the door. In fact, he didn't realize their guests had arrived until there was a brief, panicked shuffling outside the parlor door while a footman stammered, "Madam, please, there's--the master of the house would wish to speak with you before you adjourn--"

"Nonsense," an unfamiliar voice waved off the anxious propriety. It was a woman, her accent low and sonorous, like she was about to slip into song at any moment. "You said the young lady is through here, yes? Why delay?"

With that, the door swung open, revealing Milana Bartok and her two children. For some reason, the first thought Andreas had was that her daughter, Reina, was almost a strange, mirror-inverse of Gavriella. They were nearly of a height, both with fine, doll-like features and each clearly dressed to impress. But while Gavi was fair and dark-haired, stark contrast to her black and burgundy gown, the Serenian woman had olive skin and flaxen hair, with a gown of a nearly identical style in silver and pale blue. Clearly, she'd been paying attention to Connlaothian fashions.

Milana herself had eschewed such niceties, dressed in clear Serenian fashion and positively dripping in gold and sapphires. Andreas had to resist the urge to frown at the ostentatious display before his attention flickered toward the young man who stepped around from behind his mother.

His eyes widened. "You--!"

Mikhail grinned, smug, and dipped into an elaborate bow toward Gavriella, ignoring her brother entirely.

"It's a pleasure to see you again, my lady."

visualspice

If time existed, in that moment it clearly did not- and if her jaw was working, that too, was broke, left open and ignored, a long with her breath, which had stopped for a substantially long time.
The face, the voice, the mannerism....

And then her brother sputtered, and she was yanked back to the present, with the very realization that the man she had met last night at the ball was none other than-

"You're my betrothed?"
Perhaps that came out a bit rude, but Gavrielle was utterly confused! Or perhaps more surprised than anything as she found herself bristling as she took a step back, eyes wide as she looked at all these new people entering her house- But not a sign of her parents!

In desperation, she turned to her brother, (Thank god, he was nearby!) and latched onto his arm so tight, giving him an imploring gaze before looking back over at their expected (but truly unexpected!) guests.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Mikhail's smile grew, though his eyes were colder than they had been the night before. He dipped his head again. "I am, my lady."

"Misha." Lady Bartok turned to her son with a frown. "Have you already introduced yourself to the young lady?"

Reina snorted and mouthed, Somebody's in trouble at him. He resisted the urge to make a rude gesture in her direction.

"I...did. In a manner of speaking," he replied cautiously.

Andreas, for his part, was speechless during the exchange. He looked down at Gavi, his eyes just as wide as hers. Where in all hells was their father?!

Milana huffed and glared at her son a moment longer, then looked back to their hosts with a bright smile. "I apologies for Mikhail and any...indiscretion on his behalf, my dear." She swept forward, hand extended regally toward the duke's children.

Instinctively, Andreas moved his sister half behind himself--then realized what he'd done and flushed uncomfortably. "Er--Lady Bartok, it is...a pleasure," he managed to stammer after a moment, his eyes flicking back and forth from their guests to the parlor door as though that might summon their parents more quickly.

visualspice

Gavriella was still gaping, and it took her too many moments to try to recompose herself. It was hard to smooth back she was visibly shaken, her mind unable to wrap around the idea of it. But then his mother was apologizing and Gavriella dropped her gaze with a flush.

She had found the man attractive but well...
She chewed on her lip and peered over at her brother, who now stood protectively before her. She was visibly relieved, and took the moment to better compose herself. How uncouth of her to react as such! Her mother, had she been present, would have scolded her with her eyes (and later, very harshly with her tongue).

"We... had met in the ballroom," she admitted, sheepishly as she shifted awkwardly and tried to make it not seem so. Her eyes flicked to Mikhail, curious of his response, but it was hard to keep her eyes directly on him- especially as those eyes were looking directly back... at her.

DragonSong

Mikhail, for his part, seemed more bored than anything else. Carefully bored. Someone who knew him—like his sister, eyeing him sidelong—would note the tension in his jaw and the slight tapping on two fingers against his thigh and know that he was putting a lot of effort into seeming unbothered.

To Andreas, the mask of indifference really only solidified his idea that his little sister's betrothed was a callous ass, more interested in playing around that putting any effort into knowing or caring for Gavi. He had to bite his tongue to keep himself from launching into a tirade.

"You did, did you?" Milan's gave her son another sharp look, and he shrugged.

"More by coincidence than anything else," Mikhail lied easily. He shot Gavriella a small, polite smile. "Forgive me for not introducing myself properly, my lady, but I'll admit I was curious as to who exactly my betrothed was."

Andreas seethed and Mikhail smirked at him. "Where is the Duke, by the way? Shouldn't he be here for these finalizations?"

visualspice

It was hard to hide it, the hurt in her eyes, at such a reply. She had thought this man so charming and now....
What was she to think? Something twisted inside her and she looked away, blinking back stinging eyes and internally scolding herself for being so sensitive! Why should she care the way he reacts? It's not like she chose this man to be her husband...

Even still, it stung and she internally withdrew, wishing she could just disappear from this situation completely and never be heard from again.

DragonSong

Andreas was going to kill this man before he ever had a chance to be his brother-in-law.

Mikhail found his stomach clenching uncomfortably as Gavriella withdrew behind her brother. Shit. This wa the problem, wasn’t it? He’d wanted to put her off balance, to show he didn’t care, that he was no more happy with an arranged marriage than she was.

He hadn’t expected to like her.

“Come, come, dear, no need to be shy,” Milana coaxed with a bright smile, woefully misreading Gavriella’s reaction.

Seeing the way Andreas’s eyes flamed, Reina cleared her throat quietly. “Mother? Perhaps we’d best wait for the Duke and Duchess before we proceed any further—we are their guests, after all.”

visualspice

It was about that time that Thank Ansgar's Name, their parents showed up in a tizzy, apologizing profusely for the delay and got right into formalities. Upon discovering their daughter had met their intended, they seemed confused but then delighted, stating that was a good thing and that it would make the wedding all the smoother.

By now the guests were offered seats, tea and treats- none of which Gavrielle was pleased to accept, although she did take a seat when that was offered, but simply held onto her tea, it growing cold as the conversation lulled around her, and the petit coffee cake she had accepted remained untouched at the end of her plate.

DragonSong

Lady Bartok greeted their hosts with the same enthusiasm and pageantry with which she did everything—eh iv h was to say, quite a bit—and the older generation seemed to take over the conversation so entirely that there was really very little input from either set of noble siblings.

Andreas spent most of his time glaring at Mikhail, while the young lord seemed content to ignore him and Gavriella both.

Eventually, it was Reina who leaned forward in her seat and placed one hand delicately beside her mouth to murmur to Gavriella, "I'm afraid we haven't been directly introduced. If we're to be sisters, I'd like to get to know you better." She offered a small smile for the younger girl, then stomped subtly on her brother's foot when he huffed and muttered something about her sticking her nose in things.

visualspice

When Reina reached out to her, Gavriella's eyes lit up. Oh! She had not considered that part...
Getting married..
it meant she would gain a sister. And part of her felt foolish and a little selfish for casting that side of things aside.

She smiled genuinely at Reina and gave a polite nod, wishing she had tried a lot sooner to converse with her rather than deal with her brother, whom she too, was now focusing on ignoring. (Two could play at that game, sir!)

"Oh, I'd like that very much! I'm afraid I was taken off guard by this whole proposal, to me I just... It just seemed so fast."

DragonSong

Reina smiled at her kindly and reached across the small space to pat her hand. “Well, it was rather, wasn’t it? I won’t pretend to understand all your family has been dealing with, but I should think the…current political climate makes arrangements like this move much more quickly than they might do otherwise.”

Andreas was only half listening to the young women’s conversation, the other half of his attention occupied with trying to discern just where exactly in the marriage negotiations their parents were. Lord Bartok had not attended the meeting, but evidently his wife was the main correspondent in the arrangement anyway. That seemed…odd, but they were Serenian…

He was distracted enough that he didn’t notice the way Mikhail kept glancing at Gavriella’ or the slight flexing of his fingers against his thigh, like he was trying to stop himself from getting to his feet—or possibly reaching out to her as Reina had done.

visualspice

Gavrielle gave a weariful and thankful expression to Reina, as if she just felt some sort of freedom from her.

"You haven't the slightest idea," she laughed in earnest, "That's all the world up here talks about."
And although she could ignore it due to her position, it affected her in other ways. "Reina.. is it?" she asked, daring to get a little bit closer to her as she set down her tea.
"It's a nice name. Is it one that's been in the family? My name came from my great grandmother on my mother's side," she pointed out.

DragonSong

"Oh you could say that," Reina laughed, setting her own tea aside to lean a little closer. "Like most Serenian noble houses, we claim a certain amount of faerie blood, you see? And my mother—dramatic romantic that she is—was always partial to the story that claimed a young queen of what was once the Summer Court fell in love with a human lord and gave up her immortality to wed him." She smiled, blue eyes sparkling. "Reina means Summer Queen."

She held Gavriella's gaze for a moment, then snorted and rolled her eyes. "Ridiculous, I know. But Gavriella's a family name? It's lovely. Is that a common tradition out here? Misha, move."

Mikhail started slightly. "What?"

"Move," Reina repeated, shoving his shoulder. "If you're going to be a grump, switch places with Lady Gavriella so I can talk to her better." She looked toward the young lady with another smile. "You don't mind, do you?"

visualspice

Gavriella was already adoring the story about Reina's name when the other young lady suddenly asked for her brother to simply move. Gavriella tried to tuck back a smile, the way she treated her brother... it was not unlike her own. She stole a glance to Mikhail before looking away, spying her brother who appeared to be absolutely seething. And she knew just exactly WHO he was seething at.

DragonSong

Grumbling, Mikhail allowed his sister to bustle him into Gavriella’s place, and rolled his eyes at how she beamed happily when that left her seated beside the young lady and both their brothers awkwardly shoved next to each other on a low chaise.

“Much better,” she enthused, and took Gavi’s hands in her own again. “Now, tell me about yourself, won’t you? I know we’ve a lot of time to get to know one another, but I’m just so curious about you. You know, Misha and I had never been to Connlaoth before this trip.”

Andreas, for his part, tried to act as though the man beside him simply didn’t exist, turning his attention pointedly toward their parents’ conversation. Mikhail huffed and let his head fall back, staring listlessly up at the ceiling.

Reina clearly liked her—even if she was only being so effusive about it to irritate him.

Wonderful.

visualspice

"Oh, but I don't know what there is to tell! I..." she blushed through a smile. "I wasn't expecting such questions as this." Although her eyes curiously went to Mikhail... wondering if he too, was curious of her at all.

DragonSong

If Mikhail was curious, he certainly didn't show it. And if his sister was asking the questions he wanted answers to, well, surely that was just a coincidence.

"Oh, tell me anything," Reina urged easily. "Do you have a favorite book? A particular pastime you enjoy?"

She cut her eyes toward her brother sidelong for a moment and smirked at the way he was looking in literally any direction but theirs.

visualspice

"Well, I do like to read," she admitted, all smiles now, even her eyes seeming to glow as she went on. "I've ready quite a number of novels, some other history and science books too, but..." she shook her head. "My favorite book is an old one, written by a Serenian, actually, titled Peace From Rocks. Have you read it?"

Perhaps not surprisingly, it was a love story. The characters were actually written quite deeply that the reader could truly feel their pain, although in the end the woman sacrificed herself so the man could live, because her love had developed so strongly it gave her the strength to protect him the only way she had known....

"The ending is a bit sad," she admitted. But the writing and the way the author had you feeling and sharing in the intensity of their growing love...

Gavriella sighed in recollection.