Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Southern Comfort

Started by visualspice, June 18, 2023, 11:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Tags to Ze!
--------
Wellspeer Manor- The Duchy of Hellvion. Three months prior

"Here, you will find in West Wing of the Parlor, my collection of arms I was explaining to you before," Davishire began with a gentile sweeping of his arm. "Behind each glass case are lacquered series of guns ranging from the early primitive models my Grandfather helped design, to the more modern sophistication of the Phoenix Gun you see on your right. This one," Davshire explained, as he lifted up a crude version of a rifle that was slung over a mahogany display hook. "Is a more recent addition to what the army has been working on. They call these rifles, and this model in particular is called the Wolf's Bite." Picking up the lengthy firearm, he held it forward and pretended to take aim before handing it over to his visitor to let Lord Khaeton inspect it for himself.

"I am aware of your time spent in the military," Davishire began, tastefully, though pointedly as he went on, assuring his guest he was not here to belittle him and his knowledge. "Did you get a chance to use such arms as these?" He inquired, his tone shrewd, though it always was. It was just the way he had been raised, and though Davishire was still being proper, it was evident in the subtle enthusiasm of his form that this room, of all the rooms within his estate, was evidently his most favored. It was neat and tidy (though the rest of his expansive house had been), but there was evidence in the worn leather chairs nearby that the room had gotten much use, an also, through it, care.

"If you look to our left, out on the veranda over there, there's an expanse of yard just outside the manner that we can use to do some target practicing and then, if you so desire, even further out is a series of lakes where the duck hunting is plentiful. Perhaps if we are good enough in our aim this eve, we can shoot down a few ducks for dinner." And he patted Lord Khaeton upon the shoulder, giving him a wolfish grin before he produced a set of keys within the top drawer of a nearby desk.

"So are there any fire arms you see to your liking? Most are the basic wheel-lock version, and they all tend to work the same. But the newer pistols and rifles you will see all pack a bit more bite than some of the older models, and are inherently less messy."

And he tossed a white cloth to the man. Black powdered guns could be quite the messy toy, though he judged Johsten Khaeton would have been used to it. Then the second thing he tossed was some rope and a bag for their game. And while he let his family's guest explore the multiple display cases full of guns, Davishire began collecting the necessary musket balls, though the black powder would, most naturally, be kept elsewhere. Once the supplies were gathered he strolled over towards the other man's side and grinned again- a feat most rare, though then again- Davishire Callister having anyone over to 'hunt' was rare indeed, and now that he had gotten the chance to exploit a friendship of a similar nature of his own, he was more than welcoming to the change and nodded forward.

He had never realized he and Lord Khaeton shared such similar interests. Studying the shorter blond man with his sharp clothing of military dress and mustache, he nodded and turned away. He was a rather quiet and reserved man, mostly ignored by his family during his youth, even if the other man were merely a year younger than he. But lately, as Davishire has more openly taken the reins of his family more seriously, he found himself under a convenient friendship, one that was still just developing as the pair had only truly begun a friendship a few months back.

Davishire had been left wounded, not fatally nor even physically, when the entire family and woman he had loved had up and moved away.

She only wrote to him once- and he'd been darker for it.

Ironically, Lord Khaeton faired a similar fate; and the pair bonded under the scurge of lost love. Both, it seemed, had women who needed to flee- and had done so without their supposed love.

It hurt, far more than Davishire wanted to admit, and although it had been nearly a year now; his heart still ached for her. Had she really seen him as such a useless coward to flee the country without his help? Or perhaps he had been a fool to let himself fall in love. His sister insisted , as always, he were the fool.

"So where is Lady Davina? I'm surprised she hasn't paid the pair of us a visit," Johnsten went on, eyes peering up at the taller man, than down towards the display case.

"She's away, as is the rest of the estate," he replied, then grinned at where Khaeton's eyes were looking.  "I see you've got an eye on the Blue Pearl. She's a good gun. Has a nice snap to her when fired, though the wheel-lock gets a bit tricky. I try to keep it well cleaned, but after each use, sometimes the locks tend to stick." And at this notion, Davishire frowned, which was doubled in his reflection within the display case glass.

Khaeton nodded at that and waited as Davishire unlocked the guns the pair decided to use. Then they walked out onto the large lawn and gardens towards the lower field where Davishire had some servants set up a shooting range.

Davishire stepped up to the shooting line and sighted the Blue Pearl. Lord Khaeton insisted the lord of the manor go first, and so Lord Davishire took aim at the targets- and fired, smiling as he hadn't missed a mark.

He then handed the gun towards Johnsten, whom reloaded the wheel lock pistol with ease

"It has a good weight to it," he commented.

Davishire nodded; a proud notion.
"Yes the musket balls this one fires are quite powerful. But don't take my word for it.. try it yourself!"

Johnsten nodded and lifted the gun towards the firing range- and expertly took down almost the ceramic targets .
But one.

"Those were good shots, Lord Khaeton. Why don't you have another go? I'm sure you won't miss any this time." He was proud of his new friend, impressed even and didn't want to outshine the poor man. Besides, he could shoot his guns at his leisure.

"Very well.." Lord Khaeton went on, a nod of his head. "If you insist.  I will be sure to hit my target "

Davishire actually smiled, surprising himself as he stood back while the other man took aim. But then he noted movement up at his manor home and frowned. He wasn't expecting visitors and his sister was away.

The ceramic targets exploded as Lord Khaeton began to fire. Davishire's frown deepened as it seemed there were men heading in their direction. He then turned back towards Johnsten to excuse himself when he froze-

For Lord Johnsten Khaeton now had his gun aimed at him.  Davishire hesitated, asking with careful words

"What are you doing, Johnsten!?"

The other cocked the pistol.

"Sorry friend, but our meeting was simply an unfortunate necessity to ensure your family has no claims at the Hellvion throne."

Davishire blinked, astounded.

"This.. was... PLANNED!?" His words bellowed, body shaking in rage.

Johnsten gave a patronizing smile at his 'friend '.

"Oh don't sound so haughty about it. You've got a reputation that keeps others away from you.. did you honestly think you were fortunate enough to find yourself a friend?" The man had to laugh. Davishire was now red faced with anger, especially as he was soon being surrounded- and at the sounds of breaking glass... they were armed with hid own guns!

"So what do you plan to do with me now? You've brought a lot of men if you were planning on just shooting me dead in my lawn."

Lord Khaeton chuckled.

"That was the original plan but... seeing how I've come to know you so well.." the other went on. "I figured on sparing your life. After all... Essrynis are paying a pretty now for large men from the north."

Lord Johnsten gave a wicked smile.

"You bastard... do you really think you can get away with this!?" The large man barked, growing vicious, like a  hound.

The other tsked.

"Think I can? Oh heavens, Lord Callister, I KNOW I can."

The smile.. that smile.. that wicked smile. Davishire could no longer contain his anger.

And the second he stepped forward-  Lord Khaeton fired.

‐-----------

Present Day. Just south of the bordering mountains.

The men wished they could have used the ocean, hauling living human cargo, especially cargo as unhappy as Lord Davishire Callister from Wellspeer, would have made the journey easier. The man almost escaped on them once, forcing them to throw his drugged body in a cargo box nailed shut rather than in his cage. Foolish that the man had tried. He was a large man too, heavy with muscle and a temper that could scare Ansgar himself.

But atleast the travel was quiet for now, as they were finally outside the borders of Connlaoth and now entering Serendipity. They still had a ways to go to lug the cargo to Essryn- and it better be worth it.

The disgruntled wagon driver felt something wet on his arm and cursed, halting the wagon as his men began to complain.

"Ethul, whydya stop? We got loads of roads to go!"

Ethul cursed.
"We stoppin' cause my nose is bloody bleeding again!"

"Again?" The other asked in alarm. "Ansgar's name, man, you tussled with the bloke over an hour ago!"

"Yeah, well, an hour don't heal up nothin'  . Besides, we ought to check on the cargo. Be sure the damned still be alive."

No one of the men wanted that task naturally; as they all took this as a moment to stretch their legs.

Ethul sat beneath a tall oak tree, wrapping up his arm which- he cursed as it hurt like no tomorrow, was likely broken and would take months to heal. Ansgar's name... if it wasn't worth the money he'd be tempted to just shoot Davishire in the head. He spat to the side and glared at the box wedged in the back of the covered wagon.

He hoped they could keep this monster of a man contained. He'd already broken out of one cage so far.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

ZeAwesomeOne

A soft little tune hung in the air as Kira made her way down the road. She would often hum to herself as she traveled, considering there wasn't much else to do. But she didn't mind traveling alone. It was peaceful, all things considered. Despite the tensions across the border, Kira had not run into too much trouble. Most people leave her alone once they figure out she was medically trained. Too many refugees need tending to for cheap than making enemies with a Serendian.

The last town was fruitful. Enough to cover the supplies that she used and then some. It was a good thing too. She was looking to head back across the border into Connlaoth soon and she was needing more. Her business strategy was working well. Come to Serendipity to restock on cheap supplies, since most healing was done magically and did not require normal things like bandages and tonics. She would then cross the border and help as many as she could in Connlaoth before coming back over and repeating the steps all over again. Now that she was fully restocked, she could head back over.

As she traveled along, she noticed a cart pulled to the side of the road. Not completely uncommon to see but Kira could be a little nosey and she was curious. She tried not to make it too obvious but as soon as she notice the man slumped against the tree, her curiosity grew to concern.

"Hello!" She called out, slowing her cart down as she waved to them, "Are you in need of some assistance? I can offer healing services for cheap if you need some!"

visualspice

Ethul turned at the sound of a woman humming. He noted her cart and blinked, then at her words he gave a rotted tooth smile. 

"For a fee, love? How abouts we offer an exchange of services... on the accounts yous alone and all." He gestured towards her, a devious twinkle in his eyes.

"How about yer services in exchange that we protect ye miss. These borders can get dangerous yous sees. Bandits and the likes 'icing in 'em and all."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

ZeAwesomeOne

As her cart comes to a stop, Kira raises an eyebrow at the offer. It wasn't a terrible one. Traveling in groups does tend to deter bandits and she doesn't need the money. Maybe they knew something she didn't? Maybe things have become worse on the border? She shrugs as she starts to slide off her cart, grabbing her bag from the back. She has helped people for way less payment. Might as well.

With a few quick steps, she makes it off the road and by their cart. "I think that is fair." She says, offering a smile. "Traveling alone is dangerous these days and I could use the help getting to the border." She glances between the two men, "So....what has happened and how can I help?"

visualspice

When any of the men tried to explain, Ethul hushed them and took reigns of the conversation. He told her they hit an unfortunate bump in the road and he was left the more unfortunate one of the bunch.

Girl didn't need to know about their package.

"We actually just came from Connlaoth. Won't take us but a day to back track but worth it to keep the young lady safe," he went on with a nod and as professional of a grin as he could muster.

ZeAwesomeOne

Kira nods along with the man. They are from Connlaoth...so no magic. Can't have them knowing she can use magic so they can turn her over when they get to the border. She tries to keep the small talk going as she starts to examine the extent of the man's injuries.

"Oh, really?" She says, "And what brings you over here to fair Serendipity? Must not be too much if you are willing to backtrack the day for just lil' ol' me?"

visualspice

If Kira had missed the lecherous look in Ethul's eyes, it was more pronounced now. 

"We're makin' a deliv'ry.  And we just might be ahead of schedule ."

Technically they were, on account of the extra time given to them to get down to Essryn. But between this and their difficult cargo...

Well, a little extra fun side trip never hurt no body now did it? His men seemed to catch on, and only agreed.

"But it's the least we could do, after ye offerin' t' patch us up, after all.."

ZeAwesomeOne

Poor naive Kira....she was always so oblivious to other's intentions. She was too focused on the injuries.

"The pleasure is all mine, gentlemen. I am always willing to help." She says, unfolding her bag. Part of her brain nagged at her a bit. These wounds were not conducive to injuries from a fall. It was more like....battle wounds? Nah, what did it matter? It wasn't like she cared. She just wanted to help. "Looks like a broken arm. Let's wrap it and get a sling set for ya and some medicine for the pain." She says, giving him a quick smile as she dug through her bag. "So what kind of cargo are you carrying?"

visualspice

The men were being amicable.. that was until she asked about the  cargo.

"No need to concern yourself. It's best not to get too nosey. Cargos going all the way to Essryn. Exotic land; it is. You ever been?"

ZeAwesomeOne

Kira cocks her head a bit at the response, "No, I haven't. Never been farther than Serendipity. Never had a need to, really." Wrapping the man's arm didn't take her long. She made a quick sling for him with some spare bandage fabric. "Last but not least," she says, fishing out a small tonic bottle, "Take a sip of this when you feel too much pain. Should numb the body enough to keep it in check. Don't over do it. Your friends will need to help carry you if you do." She stands up to give the other men a smile, "That should be it, unless someone else was needing aid?"

visualspice

Ethul studied the woman after accepting the bottle. 

"You tryin' to drug me up?" He asked, then chuckled. "Don't tempt me lass. Been 'avin' bad sleep all week."

Which was true. He never did sleep as well when traveling and needing to sleep on the road. They had to avoid Inns for obvious reasons.

"But thank ye kindly for the help. Arms feelin' better already!"

And as he grinned at the girl, not seeming to have a care in the world.. a sudden odd thumping came from the men's wagon. 

ZeAwesomeOne

Kina's smile was bright, "Well, you are welcome. If you would like, I can get you something for the sleep too. Proper rest is good for healing and-" The large thump interrupted her. She jolted at the sound, quickly looking around for the source.

"Everything okay? Did someone fall? Anyone hurt?" She quickly asks. Her eyes darted quickly between the men, accounting for each one before her eyes moved to their cart, "Did one of your boxes fall over?" She questioned, now taking a good look at their goods.

visualspice

Ethul and his men exchanged looks, wary. 

"Probably just the wind I'd say," Ethul went on, waving off the idea. 

Oddly enough...
There wasn't any wind. 

And the thumping came again.

Ethul seemed to visibly sweat, but rose from where he had been seated near to Kira.

"Oh that noise. Probably just some rat aiming to get into the goods. Pardon me. I'm gonna go an' 'andle that."

The man moved towards the cart, not fully turning his back on the girl as he moved towards the boxes. It was silent for the moment, but then the pounding within it grew suddenly more angry and intense. 

Ethul just about clean leapt out of his skin, stumbling back as a few of his men joined at his side. 

"What should we do, Ethul?" The one man attempted to whisper. "Soubds like the blokes waking up!"

ZeAwesomeOne

Kina takes a few steps back from the men as they start to panic. Just what in the hell were they traveling with? Kina was starting to think this was a mistake. She was starting to panic. Should she run? Should she stay and help? How could she even help? She has no idea how to fight. What the hell would she even be fighting? She takes a few more steps back.

"I-is....everything okay?"

visualspice

Shit.

He should have thought twice before allowing the girl to get close... especially after the damn cargo was about to erupt. 

He waved the woman back. 

"Best you keep yer distance, girly," Ethul warned.  He wasn't sure what to expect.. and he didn't need the girl to go off running to tell the authorities . That's all they needed.. to have the law breathing down their necks.

Ethul gestured towards his men.
"Don't just stand there! Let's do something!"

But the men clamored about as to what.

"Ethul... the box ought to hold 'em, innit?"

And as if on cue, the box cracked, exploding open  in a spray of chips around a bloodied fist. 

Ethul visibly paled, gaping in horror before shouting. 

"Git the damned rope!" And rushed with his men towards the box, just as another powerful punch blew another chunk from the top of the crate away and a large, burly , over sized man in a tattered suit and wild who was mangled and bloodied - roared.

ZeAwesomeOne

Kira takes a few more step back. She yelps at the cracking of the wood. Her horse whinnies, stomping in discomfort. Kira's eyes were fixed on the box. Is that... a man in there? Things started to click. Oh, no. That is why they didn't want to share. They were slavers....and their cargo was not happy. Part of her wanted to run, just hop on her cart and go....but part of her was concerned and curious...who was this man that they were so determined to keep locked down.

She moves to her horse to keep her steady. With her being there, she is at least close enough to jump up and run if it becomes too much....

visualspice

If you've ever been trapped inside a box, the experience is most stifling.  Most disagreeable... and while most people will panick, Davishire was enraged.

The circumstances that lead to his kidnapping was a terrible affair. He had trusted Lord Johnsten Khaeton, gaining the kindling for a new frienship... which to befriend Lord Davishire was a feat indeed. Yet at how conniving it all was.. all but a ruse while he was most vulnerable.. well...

Ansgar himself would not be able to keep him from justice!

The momentum of his rage helped break him from the box, bloodying him in the process and now he was free at last. But it didn't take long for the men to surround him, drawing weapons and tools and rope. 

Like a cornered bear, he yelled in defiance.

"You conniving scallywags!! How dare you seek to subdue me  for your crass plans!!!"

ZeAwesomeOne

Kira screamed and ducked when the box exploded. She was completely lost on what was going on. What should she do? Who was this man? Should she stay and help him or run. Her body froze, unsure of her next step, but her eyes never left the men. That man was taller, nearly a foot taller than she was. And built like a fighter. Where did they get him from? Was he a Connlaothian? Why such extreme measures? Maybe it would be better if she ran....but her legs didn't move.

visualspice

The men swarmed around the roaring man, ropes and weapons in hand. But Davishire wasn't about to be taken down so easily.  After freeing himself again, he was determined to stay that way and return to his home to bring Lord Khaeton to justice.

However, his body was cramped and sore from his capture and he stumbled when he tried to get out of the box. The men saw him nearly falling over and advanced quickly at Ethul's orders, a rope looped and tossed over Davishire's head while a pair of clubs smashed into his shoulder blades. The man cried out in pain and stumbled to one knee, the rope looped around his neck synching as Ethul gave a sharp pull to secure it.

Scrambling to keep the rope from choking himself, Davishire dug at the rope, trying to pry it off but the men were soon upon him, clobbered him with bludgeoned weapons as the man attempted to shield himself from their blows by crossing arms over his head.

As he was being beaten down, his hazy mind tried to assess the chaos, find an opening..a chance. And then it struck him, less harsh than the rest... one of the men at his left was hesitant in his attacks and that meant he could attempt to over power that one and get himself armed..

Or at the very least, unarm atleast one of them and get out of the beating he was trapped beneath. And he couldn't wait too long.. taking a beating like this was doing a number on his body.. but timing was of the essence.. he watched their feet.. waiting for the hesitation before he suddenly ducked and rolled clean into the man he had been aiming for and knocked him clean off his feet, which helped the wild man tumble clear of his assailants.

However.. he only got so far when the rope around his neck was pulled and he let out a croaking gasp and gripped at the rope now cutting off his airway. And it was only then he noticed the girl.. who for many good reasons, was staring back at the struggling man utterly terrified.

Then the men were soon upon him, Ethul barking orders. Davishire stepped back, ramming one shoulder into a man attempting to clobber him again and it shoved him aside, the movement also slackening the rope and allowing Davishire a chance to breath.  Then he grabbed at the rope and yanked it clean off his head, only to be suddenly smacked with a few good hits to his head that left him dazed and stumbling towards the girls feet.

And that's when he felt the rope loop over his head again.