Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

New All Around

Started by wolfie, December 07, 2012, 07:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfie

Hael was wondering if this had been a wise move. He had been travelling for several days now taking the advice of those who had traveled this way before. He had the furs and some food nothing that was hard to eat or cook if needed. He didn't know much about this place.

He was wandering around feeling very alone and lost. He hadn't had contact with anyone for awhile now missing his little forest friends already. He thought of turning back, but wasn't sure he would be able to find the place he had come from. It had snowed three times since he had started wiping away all trace of which way he had come.

Hael was feeling like there was no way out of this bad situation. He didn't want to stop, but he needed to rest. He had heard from one man that there had been someone found in the snow. They had stopped to rest, but built no fire. He looked around wondering how one built a fire in a land of snow.

He didn't have to wonder long though. In the distance he found someone had made a fire. He sighed thinking maybe he could cox them out of the knowledge so he could go make his own. He inwardly cursed himself for not asking how to find wood around the snow. He thought digging was unwise and time consuming. It didn't take him as long as he thought it would to reach the fire. He found someone too.

"Sorry I don't mean to intrude. I won't be here long I was just wondering if you could tell a greenhorn how to make a fire in this place. After that I'll be on my way," he said realizing that wasn't much on the coxing side. He wasn't all that great with humans, and tended to shy a little away from them. He hoped she wouldn't read too much into this.

Heartfrost

The snowy plains of Hyoite. A tundra devoid of life for some. An ice-cold hell for others. And for some few it was home.
For the red-headed woman known as Adda the Winterborn this snowy plain was her home. She knew its secrets and she knew how to coax the spirits out of hiding, guiding her through the barren landscape. But Adda knew that the tundra was full of life if one knew where to look. By the hot springs several flowers grew year-round, some of them healing herbs other potent poisons. Adda knew where to find trees to cut and to use the fat of reindeer to keep the fire going even though the wood was wet. Adda knew how to find drinkable water and she knew how to keep warm even through the harshest nights.

This evening the red-headed shaman was dressed in grey reindeer leather, boots made from rabbit skin and over her shoulders hangs the pelt of a black bear. Her hair was kept out of her eyes with the help of some leather ribbons and Adda's darkblue eyes looked into the fire. Behind her back she had her tent and she was sitting on even more furs from reindeers. Above the fire Adda had placed a kettle. One thing she often traded for was tea-leaves and today she was happy because she had been able to just trade this delicacy.

The wind was howling but Adda still looked up when she heard the sounds of footsteps. Her eyes fell on an youngling. She smiled when she heard his question and made a gesture to her pelts.
"Your' welcome to sit by me' fire", she answered him with a thick Hyotie-accent common for her clan.
"I doubt you'd be able to survive t'is night with only a fire. I don't see you carrying a shelter or a proper outfit. Those furs look mangy", Adda said, still smiling. The furs the boy carried wasn't bad but hers were better.
"Come sit by me side and you can trade me your' story and I can trade you me fire, furs and foods. Feel welcome youngling. My name is Adda the Winterborn born and bred on the Hyoite plains. Who are you?"

[Short post but I hope it'll be okay :) Have a good day!]

wolfie

Hael wasn't sure what to make of this woman. She seemed like she was nice enough. He had learned early on not to trust so willingly though. Sure his training in the temple was different, and that's not where he learned that trust had to be earned. His adopted brother had given him that lesson time and time again. He was pretty cold, and the fire was very inviting.

He noticed her accent wondering if they all talked like that here. There was a feeling he might find out later if he ran across anyone else like her. He took a seat near the fire on one of the pelts feeling warmer already. It was true he had no outfit nobody he talked to said anything about needing one.

"It's what I could afford. Those I talked to about this place said nothing about a shelter or outfit guess they didn't share everything," he said not sure what to say about that. It was the truth and when in doubt it was the best thing to give.

"I'm Hael. It's a pleasure to meet you Adda the Winterborn. My story isn't very long I was taken into the temple to learn the ways of a monk at a young age. It didn't take very well though not very good at forgiving others when they wrong people. I left the temple to find my mother dead never knew my father so I went to live in the forest. Was eventually taken in by a lord and his family and tortured through the rest of my days until recently. The older boy, the lord's actual son, inherits so I took off for adventure. Decided to see the world see what I could make of myself in it, and here I am," he said giving her the best he could. It was an outline of his life nothing too personal about the details there.

"I'd heard there were animals on the tundra, and thought maybe I could get to know them too," he said wishing he had some animal friends around. He was sorely missing his forest home. The fire was a definite improvement on him wondering what he was thinking not researching this place even more. He hadn't been able to find more than a handful of people who would tell him anything though. Sometimes experience was the best lesson as long as it didn't kill you.

[Awesome post. Don't worry about length I prefer quality over quantity any ways ;)]

Heartfrost

Adda listened while she stirred the tea and pulled forth two mugs made of wood. She carefully tipped the kettle and filled them both and then putting the first one close to Hael indicating that it was for him. Adda held the cup with both hands and let the warmth seep into her before taking a small sip. The tea had a bitter taste but the aftertaste was quite sweet. Adda remembered fondly how her tribe had once served this to her. The elders had drunk it happily while all the children had coughed and made comments on the (according to them) bad taste. Adda had been one of the children who had solemnly sworn to never drink it again. Still she was here several years later, drinking it.

It did get a little tiresome to always trade for the same brand but you couldn't be picky out here. Not that Adda would mind having a little variation.
"Those you talked to should have spoken better. You don' send someone out here without proper tools to survive", she commented before taking another sip and letting him continue his story. Adda loved stories and she didn't care if the boy said his story was a short one. A short story was better than no story just like a small meal was better than no meal.
When he spoke of his dead mother Adda hung her head in respect of the departed soul. Part of her wanted to recite a blessing from her people but she refrained from doing that. She didn't want to interrupt.

He seemed honest too with his story and Adda liked that. This boy seemed like a decent lad. She couldn't understand why his adoptive father wouldn't let him have some of the inheritance. To her all children who lived under her roof was her children no matter their blood. But then again, she had never understood the world of lords and ladies. Too much idle chatter, too little actual work.
"So you lived in the forest then? That means you have what it takes to live here on the tundra!" she exclaimed, eyes gleaming. He had gotten far, she'd admit that, so he couldn't be as green as he said earlier.

"I'd happily show you all the animals and all the spirits living here. To many this is frozen place, a dead place. Those people are wrong. This place is full of life but the life here is clever. It knows to hide when the snow falls and it knows how to survive. Further north we have the hordes of the reindeer traversing this land, following the sun to find grass to graze. If you put your ear to the ground, you can hear the heartbeat of the land mirroring that of the hare and rabbit. And if you feel brave, then step outside me ring of firelight and listen to the soft steps of bears and the howling of wolves", Adda continued, her voice full of passion. She knew these lands like the palm of her hand. But then again these were the only lands she knew. Adda would probably never go on an adventure across the world like Hael and for that she respected him. But she would still share all her knowledge of the things she actually knew to anyone who asked. It would be a shame to see such a brilliant young lad turn into a frozen lump of meat just because she didn't feel generous enough to give him the tools he needed to survive. I mean that would just be rude.

[Ok :) ]

wolfie

Hael was grateful for the tea. He wasn't allowed to drink it growing up, but knew that when you got something no matter what to eat or drink you couldn't be picky. Sure he had grown up a bit in a lord's house but he would never forget the forest. It was home and one never forgot where they considered home.

He heard her comment and nodded agreeing. If he was going to send someone into a forest he would share his wisdom and all of it too. It hadn't made any sense to him that someone wouldn't tell him something. Not even when his adopted brother did that to him time and time again. He didn't miss the lord calling him by full name instead of the shortened version he loved. There were many things he wouldn't miss about that place. He noted when she bowed her head in reverence for the dead just like he was taught in the temple.

"Yes for a time I did. I hated living in that lord's home. Yeah I had a place to stay, clothing, food, and such, but nothing compared to living in the forest. I was free then just like I'm free now," he said then heard the rest of what she said. He had what it took? He was a little rusty from living in the lord's home for awhile. One never truly forgot though. She talked on about the animals which he longed to meet. He drank more of his tea careful of the heat.

"Oh this is no dead place it is just different. I once thought no place is dead, but there is one that I know of. They may be of idle chatter but living is something they have yet to learn. I'd love to meet the animals and spirits here. I'm not that brave I didn't bother the bears back home," he said and then chuckled shaking his head. He heard the passion in her voice and knew he had found just the right person to show him this wonderland.

Heartfrost

"A place to stay is not the same as a place to live", the red-haired woman commented, shaking her head. She understood what Hael meant. Adda would rather spend her nights freezing and her days with blisters under her feet in a place she called home, rather than living with every luxury in a place she despised. She'd much rather live a day in freedom than a lifetime in slavery. But that was the soul of a Winterborn. She was just as much raised by the cold as by her mother's loving embrace.

"I don' know about you, lad, but my belly is rumbling. I also I to much to eat by meself, so you'd better help", she said, a twinkle in her eye and a playful expression on her features. This was her way of saying "I have food to eat and I want you to have some". Some of the warriors Adda had met during her days had been too proud to accept food as a gift. So Adda instead changed her way of offering by making it sound like they helped her. Then they could explain to their friends that they had merely helped the lady. They knew of course how to find food on their own, but a man must not forget his manners! You always help a lady in need!

Adda didn't believe that Hael was so prideful to turn down her offer, but her old habits was rooted deep and hard in her. Without further due Adda proceeded to gather two already skinned rabbits from her tent. She carefully put them beside the fire and pot, with the intent to barbecue them.

The shaman listened to Hael when he gave his thoughts on her homeland. She joined his chuckle.
"You was a clever boy then. Not even I dare bother them bears if I don' must. Fearsome warriors and gentle parents. Two sides to give the spirit balance", she mused. The fire crackled and Adda took another sip of her tea. She was very glad for the company. The life of shaman was quite lonely and maybe this boy would stay with her for a while. She was already thinking of all the things she could show him. All the things which gave life to this place.

"You see and realise more than many. This land is different from many others. But not so much when you learn where to look. Tomorrow I can show you how to find water and how to make a good fire, while sharing my own story. How does that sound to you Hael?"

wolfie

"That's very true," he said agreeing with her. He knew what he meant and thought maybe she would pick up on it. He had places to stay, but only one place he could truly call home. It hadn't changed even if his place of residence had. Nothing held his heart like the forest did.

"I could use a good meal. Do you need help preparing it?" He asked no stranger to cooking his own meals when he could. He liked to help others, but would have said yes if she had asked him to just share a meal. He had learned at a young age that one did not turn down anything when you didn't know where it came from the next day.

Hael watched as she got the rabbits thinking how good they would taste. He had no idea her intention of how she would cook them. If anything he was glad he didn't have to catch them himself. Out in this new place he wasn't sure if he could have caught them having no idea where to look for them. He felt more and more out of place just like living in the lord's house.

"I've had a good teacher in the forest life. I would like to learn those things and look forward to your own story. Is there anything else you'd like to know?" He asked not sure he wanted to let the conversation die just then. It was awhile since he last spoke to anyone worthwhile.

Heartfrost

"Nah", Adda said looking at the rabbits, clearly wondering before she shrugged.
"I s'ppose we could spice things up a bit. If your' careful we can rub the meat with herbs. What do you say?"

Adda didn't even let him answer before she had ducked into her tent again and pulled out a small leather pouch. She handed it gently over to Hael.
"It's not much, but spices are hard to come by. One thing the merchants are right about: Hyoite has little to offer when it comes to spices other than salt", she said with a smile before sitting down on her pelts again.

Adda would have agreed with Hael's thoughts, had she known them. Rabbits were great food. One had to be careful though. A rabbit had little to no fat. One had to give meals variety or they would die from the lack of fat. The rabbit meat was full of protein, but one could not be sustained on that forever. Luckily the tundra had other game to hunt and even some herbs and leaves to eat but to Adda few things tasted as good as rabbits. Those legs was just delicious!
"I see your teacher was a good one. Were it me, I'd be proud of me student", she complimented him. It was true. This boy was a good boy. He knew not to turn down food and to ask for help. Nothing was more clever than that. I mean, why freeze to death because of some silly pride if it meant you'd never wake up again?
"If I want to know something more? Do you know anything of the animals spirits in your homeland? What can you tell me about your forest?"

wolfie

Hael was glad when she decided to let him help her. He liked helping in any way possible. He wasn't fast enough to answer before she went to her tent and then came back with the herbs. He wished he had some for her, but didn't think of it.

"I'm not the best cook in the world, but I can give it a try. Perhaps if you let me know how much to put with the rabbit?" He said wondering if perhaps he could help her get more herbs. He placed it on the back of his mind. So far he was liking this winter wonderland.

He did his best to make the herbs go with the rabbit instead of overpowering them. He usually cooked with salt and not many other herbs. He liked rabbit, but knew sometimes one had to survive off of squirrel or raccoon if they were lucky.

"Thank you," he said not sure what else to say then. He wasn't expecting her to compliment him. He wondered what he had done to deserve it. Rare times in his life did he receive a compliment instead usually he was being told how dumb or awkward he was.

"Spirits I know very little of. I do know of the animals though and how they don't like having to hide. They understand though that sometimes their friends have to be eaten to help others survive. They were the ones who helped me when I was a boy looking for something to eat they knew which berries to enjoy and which would kill me. I did my best to hunt outside my little area of friends," he said sure that he sounded crazy. Hael did his best to just tell the truth.

"It was pretty green during the summer and spring time and cold the rest. There were times I huddled around a fire wishing for a time when fires weren't necessary. Cooking became more of what I needed to do instead of something I could enjoy. Life was easier than any other time in my life I could do what needed to be done, and the rest of the time I was able to ponder things," he said knowing he had forgiven his family long ago.

"I learned about being grateful in the forest. Many lords and ladies aren't grateful for what they have. They had it too easy. Catching ones food humbles some. There were many nights I wished I could find some meat, and other days when I found things were grateful for them. Once I happened on a lost flask of ale. I wasn't sure why it was left behind, and figured I should test it out before drinking it myself. I never had so much fun as seeing a raccoon drunk," he said showing his impish side. He couldn't help but smile wide at that. He was enjoying his time here just as much if not more than when he was in the forest.