Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lost in the Ice (private)

Started by Anonymous, March 04, 2006, 07:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The half dwarf sat up, clutching his head.  He blinked a few times, wondering what had happened.  It took him a minute to realize it was snowing.  That wasn't such a big deal.  He could handle temperature.  What really concerned him was that it had been summer last time he'd checked.  He blinked and scanned the desolate, icy plains, wondering more and more concernedly what had happened to the village in which he'd been fighting.  Bits of snow drifted to stick in his braided black hair and short beard, the ones in front of his nose and mouth melting at each cloudy exhalation.

Finally, he stood.  He checked himself, making sure his white and silver armor was still intact and his sword still at hand.  Nodding at both reassurances, he started walking.  It wasn't to anywhere in particular, but he thought better when his feet were doing something.  The last that had happened was when Lorya and the other one had attacked.  It was a shame, really.  He'd heard what had happened to her and could scarcely believe it.  It'd been a long time since he'd seen the priestess, and he hadn't planned on seeing her again one of the enemy.  It hadn't been her fault, granted, the undead were pretty indiscriminate in who they took.  Still, it had been all he could take when he saw her attacking them all for himself.  RenDe had been throwing his infernal black magic at her, trying to subdue her with the powers of death itself.  She'd been countering with white magic.  It was surprising enough that she could still control the holy energies that he and she had been taught.  The undead didn't typically take to channelling the stuff very heartily.  What was the last thing he'd seen?  A ball of green energy entering the black and white maelstrom?  There'd been a big flash and all kinds of noise.  Now he was here, wherever here was.  That must have been it.  That kind of magical turmoil wouldn't have any positive effects.

He stopped.  Snow swirled lazily around him.  Wandering aimlessly wouldn't get him anywhere, but he didn't have any quicker means of travel.  Goddess only knew which direction would take him to civilization again, if any still existed in Oblivian.  No, he doubted three small mages could end the world all by themselves.  People were somewhere around here.  When he found them, it'd be all that much sooner before he found his friends again.  Drakona, Tomas, Vin, even little Wivvyrn, and all those others from the other group, he'd like to see them again.  Anything would be better than being alone in this tundra.  Well, one thing would be sure.  If anyone knew how to direct him, it'd be someone with divine insight.  He'd have to summon an angel to guide him to the nearest town.  The snow wasn't falling all that heavily; he could draw a summoning circle right there.

Ormand Hellsbane performed a rather interesting set of dance steps to stamp out a summoning circle into the shin deep snow, hopping and weaving so as not to knock out any of the edges or corners.  Finishing without even a hint of breathing any heavier, he stood outside the arcane symbol with a roughly four foot diameter and surveyed his work.  After making sure it was good, he sat cross-legged in place.  Performing the ritual, he fully expected his goddess of righteousness to send one of her disciples, no matter how minor, to aid him in his time of need.  He'd sit there a while, waiting patiently, as paladins do, for the longest time he'd ever had to wait for such a thing before anyone would show up in the center of the circle, melting all the snow down to the dead grass and mud beneath them.

Anonymous

It was hard to tell how much time passed before the center of the circle began to glow. Whether it was few moments or over an hour it probably felt like a thousand years considering the cold and the ordeal of waiting.

The glow lasted a few seconds before it expanded, following the sheet of melting snow until it encompassed the entire circle and once it covered the circle it began to rise upward, seeming to melt into the air. It left the circle with more than it had.

For one thing, there was a new light. The fire rippling gently in the crystalline blade held at a mid-guard by its new occupant. Tall, pale, and slender; at first glance it was difficult to tell whether it was male or female, but the width of the shoulders and lack of breasts suggested male. The snow was quick to dapple over his long purple coat and perch in his platinum hair, which fell in a ponytail to his waist and grew black around his face. His eyebrows crossed a little and his eyes darted from side to side, getting a look at this new place. Big clouds of white vapor puffed steadily around his face.

Master, where are we? A clear, youthful sounding voice enunciated from the general area he was standing. The newcomer's mouth didn't move, it was pressed into a determined line.

His eyes were quick to find the armored man sitting on the snow. "Is this your doing?" His voice was apathetic, but his eyes were still crossed.

Anonymous

Ormand smiled at the eventual reaction to his supplications, but was less thrilled when he heard the question of where this was.  His angel asked him a simple question, and he cocked a confused look back at him.  "Aye, twas I.  A good bit o waitin I did, as well."  He righted himself, essentially doubling his stature while sitting, but remained short, all the same.  He decided not to bring up the first voice he'd heard.  "I take it ye were filled in on my situation by Alethea?  If so, I'd like ta know how ta get ta some civilization.  Tha' blasted lizard alchemist couldnae blown me too far out o familiar territry."  The half-dwarf was busily brushing excess snow from his armor and rear.  It wouldn't do to get his pants wet before he'd get a chance to dry off at an inn or something.  Now that would be nice.  Maybe the closest tavern would actually have something worth drinking.  He blinked away the thought and offered his gauntleted palm to the angel.  "I dinnae mean ta be rude, but it's been a rough day.  Could a humble paladin have the honor of tha name o the angel his goddess sent him to help?  Ye probably know already, but it's customary to introduce yerself first.  I'm Ormand Hellsbane."

Anonymous

The angel lowered his sword, after shushing it and listened while the man spoke. His eyebrows relaxed, but as the man continued talking, one rose higher than the other one and the ends of his mouth began to curve downward.

When the man began brushing snow off his person, the angel frowned a little and looked nervously up at the sky. Master, what's he-

The angel turned the point of his firey sword to his chest soon after the voice began speaking and rested it there. A speck of white light grew where the sword touched his coat and he quickly pushed the sword toward it, the blade and eventually the hilt disappearing into the light, which grew to accompany the blade. The angel crossed his arms tightly afterward, his hands on his biceps like he was cold.

When the man, Ormand, offered his hand the angel placed his hand, covered in a fingerless white glove with lacing like a corset, on it and tilted his head forward humbly. "My apologies," he said, apathy gone. "I am Oris Xodarap and-" he tilted his head down a little further. "I'm afraid I don't know whom you're speaking about." Oris lifted his eyes a little, as though he was gauging Ormand's reaction before continuing. "I am an angel, currently, but I haven't been told anything of your situation. I was-" the angel blushed bright red and lowered his head again. "Occupied elsewhere before your magic found me."

Anonymous

Ormand watched the spectacle of the inquisitive sword being placed, as far as he knew, in its respective sheath with a raised brow of his own.  The confusion on all parts in the frosty air could be cut with a blade.  Ormand accepted the hand and squeezed it firmly.  He was willing to swallow his pride for a bit, "I understand.  She's only a minor goddess, after all.  I dinnae know exa'tly how it works in eaven, as I'm only its humble servant, meself."  He could only assume some kind of heavenly middle man had intercepted his summoning and passed it on to this angel, Oris.  He figured that it had taken so long because the angel was being briefed or something, but apparently not.

"Well, I'm pleased ta meet ye, Oris.  If ye're only an angel, currently, does tha' mean ye're vyin fer a higher position?  Are ye, per'aps, fixin ta make it ta archangel or what 'ave ye?"  He chuckled, running a hand over the top of his head to brush off the slowly collecting flakes.  "Well, if ye're unaware, then, I'll 'afta fill ye in meself.  I was fightin some o hell's messengers in a village south of Oblivianatus wit some friends o mine.  There was some kind o magical reaction, and, next thing I know, I'm out 'ere, weatherin it like me dwarven ancestors did.  I was 'opin fer some direction, if not to Oblivianatus, then to some other village tha' could 'elp me out.  Sorry if I may 'ave interrupted ye from anythin more important."

Anonymous

Oris kept his head down, not wanting some facial expression to betray him as his summoner spoke of his request for help being intercepted by a higher power, inquired about whether Oris was trying for archangel and then gave him the breifing he'd assumed the goddess or whomever he thought heard him was supposed to give.

Oris winced at the apology, suddenly having a bit of a clearer insight as to why he was here. If only he'd been taken away from his usual duties because someone was needed to fulfill a humble request and he just happened to be that someone. Oris was sure Ormand wouldn't want to hear the real mechanics behind why he was here.

A splitting pain in his chest and forhead followed the thought, he gritted his teeth and tried not to be too obvious. When the spell passed he raised his head again and made an attempt to look Ormand in the eye, his expression weary. "No, you haven't disrupted anything important," Oris sighed, regretting it shortly after. "At least as far as Heaven's concerned.

Oris paused after that, not moving into his next bit about not knowing where they were, where this Obliviantus was, or even where nearby civilization was and best of all, not even having wings to fly up and look for the latter two. Ormand might have questions about his last statement. If he did, Oris swore to himself that he'd answer, tell him everything about what he was doing and why. It always seemed to come up whenever he met someone, and in Oris' opinion Ormand had more of a right to know than the others he met.

Anonymous

Not being the most perceptive of people, Ormand just smiled at the angel's statement.  "Ah, tha's good, then!  I wouldn't want ye ta be missin out on anythin important.  So le's git this show on tha road, lad.  I wanta get some hot ale in me afore I actually go ta meet those ancestors."  He waited patiently for the angel to point the direction, and until then he figured he'd make conversation.  Scratching his chin, he asked, "So who do ye work under, lad?  It'd be intrestin ta know who they delegated me summon off ta, if no' Alethea."

Anonymous

Oris tried to grin, but it was half-hearted. This man certainly was straightforward, or maybe he was too cold to worry about what he'd been doing beforehand. Maybe he didn't care as long as he ended up someplace warm... with alcohol. The location of both being as clear as carbon paper at the moment. If he was going to fess up about anything, he'd have to get that one out first.

He was distracted from that little confession by Ormand's next question, and began walking because the stinging feeling in his toes was starting to get numb. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he hoped that this would take them somewhat closer to a place with a warm fire so he wouldn't have to admit that he was every bit as lost and confused as his summoner.

The topic didn't exactly warm him up though. Once again, Oris lowered his head, seeming to be watching where his feet went in the deep snow. "I worked for Michael, God's old warhorse. I'm sure he got your request because it benefited him..." Oris winced and stilled his hand before it reflexively jumped up to his temple.

Anonymous

Assuming all was just as bonny as the day before all this mess, Ormand followed the angel once he started walking.  However, he was picking up some not-so-sincere feelings from Oris, and he was beginning to wonder what might be bothering him.  Michael, eh?  He hadn't heard of any war god by that name.  Maybe he was another underling.  "Aye, aye," the dwarf nodded, "but which god be tha'?"  He hadn't been able to catch the capital in the name and still assumed he was dealing with his world's system of multiple deities, none of which went by the name of God.  Instead, he thought that Oris was just neglecting to mention the major god's name.  Then again, he couldn't imagine why they would need to dip into a war god's pool of angelic servants to answer the calls of a paladin appealing to a goddess of justice.  Strange, that.

Anonymous

Oris' eyebrows rose a little at the question. Did he think that Michael was a god? Or was he confused about God? He remembered hearing that in this new earth most people had forgotten God and gone back to polytheism. Back to gods that were every bit as real as God was and most of which who'd emerged in the chaos of the apocolypse.

Well, talking would keep him from thinking about how they were going to get someplace warmer among other things.

Oris' teeth started chattering softly and he crossed his arms tightly across his torso. He wasn't dressed for this type of weather and began praying that a little town lay over the next hill. Then the irony of having to pray for such a thing hit him and he scowled a little. Wait wasn't he going to talk about how Michael was in fact a servant of God? It was something, even if the topic was one he didn't feel like having a conversation about.

"M-Michael is a servant of God. He is called Adonai by some, Jehovah by others, those closest to him know his true name but the rest of us use titles."

Anonymous

A raise of eyebrows was all he needed to confirm his suspicions of something amiss.  A stumbled answer and odd names pushed him to more straightforward questioning.  "All righ', lad, ye've led me on long enough."  Ormand cocked a half scowl, half inquisitive look at the supposed angel.  "There be somethin' ye're not tellin' me, and I aim ta know what tha' be.  I've done this summonin' thing before, and never 'ave I gotten such an odd response.  And blast if I've never seen an angel without wings who gets cold in tha snow.  I'm beginnin' ta wonder if me summons was interrupted by some young mischief maker, so I'll 'ave ye tell me what I wish ta know, or I'll 'afta show ye why I'm Alethea's chief o paladins."  He'd stopped walking, by now, and was cautiously preparing to draw his sword from his back if he'd somehow angered the youthful person before him.

Anonymous

Ormand's dark inquisitive look sent a different sort of shiver down Oris' back, closely followed by a heavy pang of regret.

God, there was a time he wouldn't have shivered with apprehension at such a look. Never had he ever warranted such a look in the past. Once, he would have showed up showed up in the same circle blazing and glorious with great wings the color of the snow; radiant hair of shimmering platinum; and eyes of true, pure gold. His pride would have kept him from crouching and shivering in the snow and with a wave of his gloved hand this righteous servant would have found himself the guest in a place where men of like hearts could have a cup of ale and a warm bed.

The cold tears stung his eyes as he dropped his his knees and planted his hands in the snow, prostrating himself before the holy warrior. "You are too worthy to have been given the likes of me in answer for your summons." The words stung as wickedly as the tears, stabbed straight through him like the gusts of snowy wind. "I am Oris Xodarap and I'm lucky I can still call myself an angel. I have lost the grace of God, the respect of my leige and the very wings you expect have been sealed inside myself until I am worthy of them again. Your goddess and my God have doubtless both won with this. You are likely on the path you seek, while I have been thrown from mine." His chest spasmed and a clawing, burning pain ripped through it and his head. Oris winced, whimpered and lowered his head to the snow, hoping to numb away the agony in his head. It offered no relief. He grit his teeth and raised his head, opened his squinting eyes to look into Ormand's.

"Ormand," he panted, as though simply breathing was becoming a chore. "I am haahn haahn an ang-haahn haahn haahn angel haahn haahn but I am haahn haahn falling."

Anonymous

"Oy, lad," Ormand dropped his caution, "confession is supposed ta be good fer tha soul and bad fer tha reputation, but fer some reason, ye dinnae look so good."  He forgot about his suspicions and approached the doubled over angel.  "Are ye all righ', lad?  I don mind if ye were misleadin' me before, as long as ye've come clean about it, I fergive ye.  Whatever tha case, per'aps we can 'elp each other out a wee bit.  Do ye wish ta talk about it?  I be trained fer tha' kind o thing, too."  The short, stock man was genuinely concerned for the person who had only just now decided to tell him the truth.  "Maybe tha conversation should be saved fer a time when we can share a table in a warm bar, though, if ye prefer."

Anonymous

Oris listened, panting all the while as his arms and legs grew tingly and bent, dropping him into the snow.

Then the pain stopped, only because a second later his chest caved in with one mighty exhalation and wouldn't move after that. Oris lifted his head and tried to beg for help but flopped to the ground before he could move his lips.

A few seconds later Oris opened his eyes and glanced up at Ormand, looking more than a bit confused. He remembered his chests sudden spasm and blushed, feeling helpless. His breath didn't come any easier, his limbs felt heavy and tingled. Then his chest caved again and his eyes grew wide with shock before shutting again.

As suddenly as Oris' attacks, a young black haired woman dressed in furs, lace and cotton the same shimmery white as the snow walked from behind Ormand and knelt next to Oris. She laid a bare hand with diamond studded nails on his forhead for a moment before looking up at Ormand.

Her face looked very new, like it might be as soft as a babe's should one touch it. Her eyes were very pink and her lips were pale. The mane of black waves around her face was too perfect, too shiny, too obidient against the wind as though she had a team of stylists hidden with her that would touch up her hair the second it was mussed. "Go west," she said, pointing the hand she'd recently laid against Oris' head in that direction. Then she stood, smiled with a child's innocence and took a few steps away from the both of them, a pair of white wings expanding from her shoulders and arcing around her to swallow her up. And she was gone.

A few seconds after she dissapeared Oris opened his eyes again and took a deep breath. He panted a few breaths before breathing normally, but didn't shift from his spot on the ground. His limbs still felt heavy, and he was in no hurry to stand up if he was going to pass out again. "I'm sorry," he said softly, looking up at Ormand. "I'll tell you everything you want to hear once we've found something. Though, I'm not sure when we might find it."

Anonymous

"Lad!" the dwarf shouted and knelt by Oris's side.  He wasn't sure what was happening, but he wasn't about to sit there and let it.  He steeled himself for a healing, and he thought to himself how he never thought he'd need to heal an angel, fallen or not.  Before he got the chance to lay on hands, someone snuck up from behind and joined him on Oris's other side.  Just by seeing her, he knew her to be another angel, but this one was clearly still in the graces of heaven.

Stunned, and a little confused, Ormand didn't get the chance to do anything before Oris awakened, none the worse for wear.  Slowly gathering from the angel's words that if the other angel hadn't shown up, he might never have found a town, Ormand sighed, "What in Oblivian was tha' all about?  Who was tha'?"  He shook his head and stood, "Well, whoever she was, she said to go this way," and pointed westward.  He offered Oris a hand up, and then he'd start walking again.  The journey would be relatively quiet unless Oris felt like speaking before they arrived, but as it turned out, they were only five or six hours away from the nearest town.

Anonymous

Oris took the hand and clumsily rose to his feet. The confusion after Ormand's questions hit him like a hammer to the head, leaving him blinking stupidly for a few seconds before he found his faculties.

"Who?" he looked around for a sign of this mysterious 'she', seeing nothing but ice and snow. Then, feeling he'd rather not confuse himself further he shook his head. "Never mind, you can tell me later."

Oris was too cold to fancy a bit of a chatter on their walk, so the trek to the little town that was closer than both would have guessed would go in silence.

(Gah, attack of the rabid SPS!! Get it off, get it off, get it off!!)

Anonymous

ooc- we're not so lost anymore, so let's move to Hyoite