Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Inconsequential possessions

Started by Parkway, December 21, 2015, 06:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parkway

(((Continued from:  http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=19938.0  )))

@DragonSong

Honou dismounted and stretched.  "Yeah, I need something and it will be nice to have something cooked for us."  He chuckled not that he minded cooking he just liked it being done for him.  "I have half a mind to get a room too but I know we need to get back to Ketra.  Then we can rest."

Honou went over to Bane and patted his neck softly.  "Thanks Bane.  This place is very open so explore to your hearts content my friend."

He tapped Verik's shoulder and let his hand slide down his arm into his hand.  Honou tagged it.  "This way.  Can you see the town?  Have you been here before?  I think you might like it.  This place is very inviting."  He moved in the direction of the town.

DragonSong

Verik smiled slightly, letting Honou lead him. "No, I've never been here," he answered, nodding his head at Bane to indicate the dragon should do as he liked. He'd call him back if they needed him.

"And a real, cooked meal does sound very tempting," he chuckled. He moved up to the elf's side but left their hands together, letting their fingers intertwine comfortably. "This mage friend of yours- what should I be expecting?" he asked curiously.

Parkway

"Daion!"  He smiled warmly.  "You will love her!  I mean that.  She is an older elf, one who I ran into years ago.  I helped get back a few tomes that had been stolen from her.  She is a little zany but always smiling."

He noticed their hands still together and he smiled.  Honou actually slowed his pace wanting to just let the moment last. 

"She helped to teach me how to use my magic.  I was a bit undisciplined until she gave me a few tips and actually told me how to harness the power."

DragonSong

"You? Undisciplined?" He widened his eyes and mock surprise, smirking. "I can hardly imagine."

Then Verik sobered slightly, asking, "So you really think she'll be able to figure out...whatever it was that healed us? This shard." His free hand twitched unconsciously toward his satchel. Carrying the thing without knowing what it could do was making him a little anxious.

Parkway

He laughed!  "Hard to believe right!"  He laughed again!

When he was settled down a bit he looked at the satchel.  "I am confidant she'll know something.  If she cannot tell us she will know who can.  Besides La'marri is home to some of the very best Mages.  Let's eat and then head straight to her home."

They walked to the town gates where Honou spoke with one of the guards.  It was obvious they knew each other.  The guard, Thom, said hello to Verik and confirmed Daion was indeed home.  Honou lead them into the town and towards a building to the right.  The sign hung proclaimed it as the Inn & Tavern.  He pushed the door open and sighed when the scent of food cooking filled his senses. 

"Ahhh, a hot meal!  Let's grab a table."

DragonSong

Verik followed Honou quietly, a little bemused. He nodded to the guard and smiled but didn't say much. It was interesting to watch the elf interact with other people, so easily and unconsciously charming.

He nodded vigorously when they entered the tavern, almost groaning at the smell of food. "There's a spot," he noted, nodding to an open table set back against a wall. His soldier's sensibility was drawn to the protected positioning of it, and the easy view it offered of the rest of the room.

It wasn't as though he expected them to be suddenly attacked, it just never hurt to be on guard.

Parkway

"Sure."  Honou headed over to the table Verik had indicated and sat.  He sighed as he did.  Exhaustion washed over him. 

"By the Gods Verik.  I am going to sleep for hours once this is over."  He singled to the barmaid who came over with a friendly grin. 

"Well look what the dogs dragged in!  Where have you been Honou and who is this handsome man you are with!"  She winked and addressed Verik.  "I'm Lara.  Don't believe a word he tells you about me.  He broke my heart and I have never forgiven him since.  I full well intend to poison him one day too."  She said with a teasing note to her voice.

"Hey!  Watch it Lara!"  He joked back with a smile.  "Verik this is Corporal Verik.  He and I are here to see Daion on a matter.  Now please we'd love some of your famous dark ale.  And whatever smells so good, two of them."  He was still chuckling as she shook her head to head off then stopped and looked at Verik.

"Is that good with you?"  She wanted to make sure he got what he really wanted.

DragonSong

Verik gave her a small smile and a nod as the serving girl- Lara- moved away. "Broke her heart, huh?" he asked wryly, quirking an eyebrow at Honou.

He agreed with the sleep sentiment though. "Maybe renting a room isn't such a bad idea," he mused, covering a yawn with his hand.

Parkway

He chuckled but colored a bit.  "She exaggerates.  Pay her no mind with that talk."  He had a lot of friends who came to La'marri as it was a safe haven to study magic. 

"Well only if it won't put you in any trouble.  We don't want that.  But the idea of sleeping with you in a bed is quite inviting."  He winked.

Lara came back and set the ales down.  "I'll bring over the roasted duck shortly.  We have roasted vegetables with it I'll plate them up and you can share that."  She turned to go back towards the kitchen area.

"Her mother is the cook and makes the best food I've eaten.  I hope we can pop in or have her come out you'd like Lara's mom.  Her name is Juni.  Her son runs the stable, he is the best horsemen I've met.  I guess you could say II like La'marri and all that live here."  He gave a sheepish grin.

DragonSong

He laughed quietly, taking a long drink from his cup. "This place suits you," he said with a smile. Then he shrugged. "Well, like I said, no need to go into too much detail on the official report. I suppose one more night couldn't hurt."

His eyes glinted teasingly but his voice had dropped a little lower, rougher. He cleared his throat, realizing he'd been leaning in toward Honou and forcing himself to put some distance between them. "I'll just have to find a place for Bane to sleep, that's all," he said, a little too casually, trying to pretend he wasn't blushing.

They were in public, and he was suddenly strongly reminded that he was a corporal. He needed to at least pretend to be professional.

Parkway

He chuckled and then laughed when he notice the slight blush!  When Verik pulled away he frowned a bit.  He scooted his chair over.  "What!"  He mocked innocently.  "Are you ashamed to be in public with me?  Am I such an ogre?"  He was teasing but he still remand close not moving his chair back.

Honou thought about Bane and grimaced.  "I am not sure there is the Niahi Woods, but I don't like the idea of him having no shelter.  I know we all slept outside but we where all together.  I am not sure what is out there for him?"

He didn't like the idea of Bane being alone in the woods as silly as that might seem.  Not after he witnessed what happened today.

DragonSong

"What? No that's not-" Verik started to protest, then realized the elf was teasing. He huffed and tried to frown at him, but couldn't quite manage it.

Then his brow furrowed in thought. "Well, if your friend and her neighbors don't mind, he probably wouldn't object to curling up behind a house or something." He didn't like the idea of leaving the dragon on his own either.

Parkway

He chuckled some more. 

"No she wouldn't mind at all.  We could probably stay there too.  He home isn't huge but she has a nice enough property.  I think it would be nice to be close to each other."

Their food arrived and Lara placed everything down for them and also brought a refresh of ale.  "Enjoy fellas."

"Wait!"  Honou stood.  "Is you mother here?  Can we stop in to see her?" 

Lara smiled.  "Yeah, she would like that.  I told her you were here and she made those fresh for you both." 

"Honou sat and nodded.  "Let's eat!"  He dug in.  He hadn't realized how hungry he was.

DragonSong

After the first bite Verik had to exert and enormous effort not to devour his food like a wild animal. He hadn't realized just how hungry he was.

"Well, she certainly knows what she's doing," he said with a crooked grin when he took a moment to breathe. "Or maybe I was just starving."

Parkway

He grinned with a mouthful of food though Honou couldn't answer for the moment.  After swallowing he replied mirthfully.  "I think a little of both."

He washed his food down with a generous gulp of ale.  "They brew the ale themselves too."  He added as he forked a few potatoes and ate them.  He was feeling a bit better still tired but considerably energized.

Resting back in his chair he looked around the tavern.  He caught a few eyes of those he knew and nodded.  Most he wouldn't call friend but in his line of work it was fruitful to be. On the friendly side of most folk. 

DragonSong

Verik watched his partner with interest, a small smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. "You certainly seem to be in your element," he commented lightly, propping his elbow on the table and resting his cheek against his hand.

He let his leg brush against Honou's under the table, feeling considerably more relaxed- although that meant that now he was really feeling his exhaustion. Fighting back a yawn, he said, "I don't want to rush, but I'm think the sooner we deal with this shard mess, the better. I'd rather not walk around this this thing burning a hole in my pocket."

He frowned and added, "Ah- you don't think that's an actual possibility, do you? Because that seems uncomfortable."

Parkway

"Nah!"  He looked at Verik and made a grimace.  "But I don't want to take ant chances."  He got up,  "wait here a minute."  Walking over to where Lara was he pressed some coin into her palm and whispered in her ear she tilted her head in the direction of the kitchen.

Honou looked over towards Verik and waved him over.  "I just need to see Juni.  Besides I'd like her to meet you."

DragonSong

Verik followed, feeling suddenly and irrationally tense. It was obvious Honou cared about these people, and he wanted to make a good impression.

But, well...first impressions had never been his strong suit. Neither were second or third impressions, for that matter. It was one of the reasons he'd been so surprised by how quickly he and Honou seemed to click.

"Right, uh- lead the way," he muttered, smiling a bit and trying to force the tension away.

Parkway

Honou stopped and turned to Verik.  His expression softening he could sense that Verik was a bit tense but he needed not be.  "Juni is a sweetheart. I promise."

He smiled reassuringly and took Verik's hand.  Hoping his touch helped.

When he approached the kitchen area he called to the women.  "Juni!  How wonderful it is to see you again."  He let go of Verik's hand and went to the short older woman and embraced her.  He had to bend over for he was so much taller than she.  "I want you to meet someone.  Juni, this is Verik.  He and I are going to see if Daion can help us with something we've stumbled across.  Verik, Juni.  She has put up with me for more years then I bet she cares to even remember."

He watched the too and Juni eyes took in the man and her smile was welcoming.  "Verik, it is a pleasure to meet you."  She held her hand in greeting to him.  Bit she looked between the two of them with a touch of awareness washing over her and then her smile widened.  "Oh yes.  Well are you two staying then night.  I have a clean you."  Her smile softened she could just tell Verik wasn't just anyone to Honou. 

DragonSong

He squeezed Honou's hand gratefully and was a little reluctant to let the elf go to greet the older woman. He made himself smile though, trying to hide his discomfort, nodding politely.

He moved forward and took her hand a little stiffly. "A pleasure, ma'am." Years of military training took over and he had to resist the urge to snap into a salute. He got the very distinct feeling that Juni knew exactly what was going on between them- when he wasn't even entirely sure himself- and it made him shift awkwardly.

"We were thinking of staying in town tonight," he said carefully, looking at Honou to try to gauge what the elf wanted to do.