Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Neverlie - The Evening Sparrow

Started by Hyacinthus, January 27, 2024, 02:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyacinthus

Ahem, ahem, pardon thee, caw, caw, pipipi.

The very nerve, this silly jest— To introduce at no behest the Second of the autumn fae? A greater slight I cannot say! And thus I cast a spell on thee— to steal both quill and pad for me to graciously acquaint thee with the Song of Autumn—  Pipipi. Worry not—  Neverlie never lies, and never takes for free—  I'll introduce myself proper and then set your writer free.

Caw, caw, pipipi.

Neverlie, my given name—  by Tynalhann was it proclaimed.   
900 Cycles have I sung
The mother's voice of sweet Autumn
The Fairy of Crows,
From Autumn's Lands,
A meter and a half I stand. I'd rather be a massive thing, though it displease the Autumn King...
Attendant to Lord Tyrnalhann, his beck and call I act upon,
The mortal realm, my stomping grounds when autumn's cycle comes around!

Very well, I'm satisfied—  Neverlie has never lied and never meant to take your dye and quill for long—  hope to die and cross my heart and poke my eye!

Have your silly writer back—  But know that such an errant lack of reverence for my time of year is blasphemy— AM I CLEAR?

Caw, caw, pipipi— go on, finish writing me!

Physical Description

...Sorry about that. Anyway, Neverlie is a fairy that takes her appearance from the concepts of the "Evening Sparrow", and the "Crows of Autumn"— because of which, she looks closer to a harpy than she does your stereotypical fae. Mostly human in appearance, her ebony-black skin, pure-gold, almost spiteful eyes and silky, feathery hair make her easily distinct from a normal person. Said hair bushes and flows from her head to her toes, almost making her look as if she were wearing a cloak made of crow's feathers.

Neverlie does wear clothes— typically, when alone she is in what humans would consider "a state of nature" ((Should I 'state' another way? I'm literally a nature fae!)I'm sorry, she wouldn't leave me alone unless I added that note in for her), but she can cover her body at will in a gown of black and golden feathers. A short gown, mind; she prefers not to obscure her bird-like legs, at the end of which are talons rather than feet.

Personality

As silly and spiteful as she might come off as, Neverlie takes great pride in her role as the "Autumn song". She's strong-spirited and somewhat domineering in practice, partly because she deeply loves her season— like a mother would love all of her children— but mostly because as the aide of the Autumn King, and in many ways his "First love", she is madly in love (and incredibly furious)with 'Dearest Tyrnalhann' and willing to do anything— even if it meant the end of the great cycle— to make him happy. This somehow both is and isn't a romantic love— or at the very least, it doesn't mean She's not open to 'sharing'.

She is incredibly prone to tricks and mischief, and finds pleasure in leading people down a path of decay or downfall. She sees these things as 'fun pastimes that every fae should partake in at least once', but never means any actual harm to anyone. She's not above helping mortals, or even other fae outside of her clan— IF her king wills it. Mostly, however, she keeps to her own clan, finding it hard enough to just watch over them in Tyrnalhann's stead.

...Which, by the way. Remember how I said she was both in love with and furious with Tyrnalhann? Yeah, that 'furious' bit is because while Neverlie is almost constantly adhering to the constantly-arising problems and discord between members of the Autumn clan, ensuring that the stories of Autumn are followed cycle after cycle, and ultimately "ruling" the Autumn clan in her king's place, he... is off goofing around with mortals, or other fae.

Be real. You'd be spiteful too.

Magic/Abilities

As the Fairy of Crows, Neverlie has some unique fae magics— she can commune through, with and across crows, wherever crows may be. She can see through their eyes, hear through their ears, and even command them as she wishes. She usually uses this to keep constant tabs on the Autumn Faelands— it lets her been in 2 (more like 200) places at once. Neverlie herself can transform into a crow— partly or fully as she wishes, and she possesses to ability to fly, even without wings.

More interestingly though, as Tyrnalhann's personally-assigned aide, she also has just about as much domain and authority over Autumn itself as he does— for so long as he wishes for her to. Again, useful for basically doing his job for him.

Unique to her, however, is her song— a beautiful, sorrowful song which brings decay and death to just about... well, anything within earshot. She only sings at her King's behest, however.

Relationships

Erstwhile - Neverlie's "Dearest Tyrnalhann". Most fae don't know or call him by that name, because it's the name of the Fairy of Sorrows, not the Autumn King. Most fae also don't realize that Erstwhile is both of those figures— but Neverlie knows his heart better even than he does, so she calls him by the name she knows he truly identifies as, deep down.

History

The story goes that when Tyrnalhann, the longing one, became the Autumn King, one of the first things he did— instead of his actual job— was admire Spring. "Oh, what a lovely song the morning lark sings" was what he said— and Neverlie (the "evening sparrow") was born from that statement.

The truth isn't far from that. Erstwhile— originally known as Tyrnalhann— became the Autumn King by default, after the prior Kong vacated the throne after an untimely demise at the hands of a human sorcerer, an unprecedented move that shook the foundation of the Autumn clan. The fear of the end of the cycle gripped the entirety of the fae clan, with none willing to take the crown for fear of the potential death it brought with it except Tyrnalhann, who, nearing the end of his time in the cycle as the fairy of sorrows, was little more than a curse-bloated, curse-drenched, curse-corrupted corpse of a fae, with little time left to live. Seeing the role of king as little more than another curse to collect, he accepted the role of Autumn King— restoring order to the clan— before retreating to the darkest depths of the faelands to die and return to the soil— along with the sorrows he had collected. As he lay down to rest and be reclaimed by the earth, his final thoughts were his absentmindedly remarking on how silent the Autumn evening was— and how he wished he could hear the Morning Lark of Spring one last time as he passed on.

And it was from THAT wish that Neverlie was born.

__________________THREAD TRACKER
Current Threads

Complete Threads