Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

First Time Here :D

Started by Travster, November 04, 2019, 02:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travster

Hi all!

I've done some PbP RP's years back, and really enjoyed them. One of the boards I used to love was called World of Tur. But, like A LOT of PbP RP Boards, the ones I used to be interested in died out. I noticed this community has been around for a really long time, which is great!

Lately, I've been more into reading fiction than usual, and just recently joined a paid Pathfinder Campaign (we meet once a week on Saturdays over Roll20 + Discord). So lately my brain has been super active in all manner of fantasy things, and I've found myself pretty bored playing online games like LoL (unless a couple specific buddies are online with me, then it's still a blast).

I was perusing the posts/writing on here and was really impressed with peoples' collaborative RPing. And I got a unique character idea after glancing over a guild on here. But I'm just a little worried that maybe my RP style is a bit too much like classic D&D-ish, like I love dwarves, and typically more traditional dungeon-delving type stuff. I'm very open to all sorts of other RP ideas for sure, but maybe I'll just spew out my first character idea and see if it sounds at all doable with you folks here on SotE (I'm only throwing this out here so awkwardly because I have a big habit of spending a bunch of time on some character that just doesn't quite match the community/feel of an RP board, so I just end up burnt out after not getting into an RP after a couple weeks) :

Was thinking of making a 300 yr old dwarf, rogue-ish type. He's a dungeoneering, stealthy, trap-disarming master. He's a member of the Vigilant Shadows, but he's not capable of performing any of their magical abilities: he can't teleport, blend into shadows, etc. Consequently, some of the more cocky/haughty members of the Vigilant Shadows look down upon the dwarf. He's not sure if it's because of his dwarven heritage (they're resistant to arcane magics typically) or if it's something else.

But due to his extensive experience and expertise in dungeoneering, my dwarfy was indentured into the Vigilant Shadows as a Ranger. He performs odd jobs for the guild. And he is an adjunct instructor of Fledgelings, teaching them the importance of survival, dungeoneering, and trap avoidance/disarming. Sometimes he takes Fledgelings on field trips (these takes months to complete) to a dungeon with live traps and threats not yet fully disabled; he rarely loses students on these (but some youngsters just don't listen very well).

That's my rough idea for my first character. Would that sorta character work here (maybe dwarves don't even fit in with the theme here)? Would anyone be interested in some sort of RP with such a character? Suggestions if not (I'm pretty open to making a character to fill a general need/want, since this is all about working with others on a story :D)

NesyExecutive

Welcome committee busting in ;)