Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sleeping in your Grave

Started by visualspice, March 31, 2013, 10:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

If there is one thing that can be said about sleeping in your grave, is that it is normally very quiet and serene when you awake. Every time she had awoken after death, this was true, as Lady Averella always had a sense of peace, which was the opposite of the struggle, the gasping of exhausted breath when she was undergoing another dieing spell when her body turned back to bone, wraps and dust. But this time was different. She awoke in the same, quiet calmness and darkness as usual, as she always kept her sarcophagus shut during her time of death sleep (or so she had come to call it), but as she began to stretch out her limbs leisurely, groaning lightly, sweetly in contentment to feel her limbs alive again (and not half or partial bones, but full, real, heated skin and limbs), she gave a small sigh of satisfaction before moving to press the lid open when she found the it wouldn't budge.

Blinking, she gave it another try, thinking she just might not have had her full strength about her, but as she grunted and pushed and pressed, the silly thing just would not open. At first, she simply stared at it, confused, not quite sure what to make of it. The lid always came open, then after a few more good pushes, she began to realize the severity of this plight and panic over took her.  Someone, or something had happened to her coffin! And here she was, trapped inside! Beating her fists upon the lid, she was about to scream out when she heard noises from the other side. Her mouth fell closed, but remained, open as she curiously tried to listen to what was going on.

Voices. Yes, she heard voices. Distinctively male voices, and as she pressed her face up against the coffin lid in hopes to hear better of what was going on, she then heard shouting.
"We've been spotted! Arm yourselves men! They look like royal guards from Jadenshine!"

She could hear the drawing of steel, the roar of men and the sudden rocking of her sarcophagus. Shrieking, she felt herself slammed uneasily to one side, before she was tipped forward, bobbing to the other end and came crashing down uncomfortably into her own feet.  It hurt, she had stubbed her toe, and she couldn't begin to fathom what on earth was going on outside of her coffin. Was there some sort of war!? Was she somehow taken hostage in the middle of some great battle!? But how on earth was this possible? She had hidden her coffin away in the most hard to find of places, and in one she was sure was safe- but she hardly had time to think more on it when she heard a splash- then water all around her- she could hear it bubbling and threatening to swallow her coffin whole.

She gasped, and tried clawing at the coffin lid, but felt the weight of the water pushing down. They were trying to drown her! And here she was, back alive again in her coffin and was now fated to waste away at the bottom of some sort of river or sea! Oh! How cruel fate could be!
Just as she was beginning to tear up over the matter, a sharp jerk had her coffin lurching upwards and with such a force she smacked the side of her temple off the side of the coffin and went still, never knowing that the thieves that had stolen her coffin had aimed to sell it (and the mummified corpse inside) for money. They had sealed it shut, but on their way trying to discretely ship the goods out of the serendipity river lands, the bandits had fallen into some sort of trouble- and little did they know how big their trouble really was.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

NightWind

Sitting astride his horse, Kalrick watched impassively as the skirmish neared its end. He slid down and walked toward the fading violence, most of the smugglers down and being finished off, he clasped his hands behind his back. "Well done, sergeant. Now let's see what they had." One of the bandits abruptly broke off and dashed towards him, perhaps recognizing the High Lord of Jadenshire. He sounded a triumphant cry as he closed on the supposedly unarmed man, his weapon held aloft.
  Kalrick brought his hand about and an incandescent shimmering sword suddenly appeared in his hands; he smoothly ran his attacker through and without so much as changing expression, sidestepped to avoid the gush of blood that launched from the man's mouth. "Such a waste..." He murmured, eying the sanguine flow with a small regret as his blade faded out. He would love to feed right now, but there were eyes about. Even though the sergeant knew of his... condition, some of the soldiers were unaware. Casting a glance at the five guards armed with crossbows, he saw chagrin on their faces for letting an armed man get so close to their charge. Kalrick sighed slightly and waved his hand dismissively. He could have sworn he had heard a female shriek when the attack began, but casting about, he found no woman's body. 'Ah well.'
   "Now, let's see what we've got here." He mused, rubbing his hands together briskly and speculating the coffin his men had dredged from the river. "Nathaniel. You're a learned man, what do you make of this? Looks Essyrian, wouldn't you say?" He asked one of his soldiers, squatting down and running his hand over the wood. It appeared to be very old- ancient, even. Yet it was obviously well-cared for.
   "It's in very good shape, my Lord, considering the age." The indicated man replied. "It is quite old. An incredible find, for sure. The historical significance of this object would certainly be a boon to our university's prestige. Not to mention, the desert people themselves might pay a fair amount to see the artifact safely returned to their hands."
   "Precisely what I was thinking, old boy." Kalrick said, standing up. "Well, that settles it. It comes with us. Only question, is anybody home?" He held out his hand, the shimmering force once again forming into shape, but this time into a slightly curved, flat-end rod. He set it in between lid and body of the coffin and pried it open. With a screeching of nails, he worked his way around until he had the lid off. And that was when he saw the woman inside.
   "Hello, what have we here?" She appeared to be unconscious. "Daniel," He called, waving the man over. "She's breathing, but is she hurt bad?"
   One of the crossbow-wielding guardsmen quickly examined the lady. "No, my Lord. See there? Just a bit of a bump on the head." He confirmed, indicating the mark on her temple.
   "So. The question now is, why are you in a coffin..." Kalrick mused. He dropped to his haunches and waited for the woman to wake up, a couple of his men readying their weapons warily.

visualspice

When the lid was removed and the cool air rushed in, Averella sensed it, but did not stir. She could hear the men's voices, feel her body being moved, ever so slightly when her head was examined, but all that happened was her lips fell open as she breathed, still sleeping.  However, after a time, the soft whisper of voices lulled her back into the world of the wake, and after a time, she made a noise, giving a slow, much needed stretch of her limbs as one gloved hand came in contact with something- or rather, some random Jadenshirians face.
That's when her jade green eyes popped open.
She  paused for a moment when she realized there was a group of some wary and most uncertain men staring back down at her.

So she did what any other sensible woman would do when waking up from her coffin after a month's sleep from her mummified death nap.
And that was shrinking back into her coffin as she screamed.

Lady Averella was completely freaking out, pressing her back clean against hte other side of her coffin and trying to move away from the scary men as quickly as she could, her dress and lace and all the layers getting in the way she her heeled boots got caught upon layer after layer as she slipped back, and found herself momentarily laying against her back, having fallen into the coffin again while her chest was heaving against it's repressive confines of a corsetted top that hugged her form and covered almost every inch of skin about her- Well, except for her face.

No, that should be covered, but she had since lost her hat, and the large bustle of her dress was now piled high ontop of it from where she sat- yep, right ontop of her hat, crunching it beneath her weight in her panic.
Scrambling to sit up right again, she gripped the sides of her coffin in fear and blurted out after a long, whimpering whine, "Goodness, who are the lot of you and what are you doing with my coffin!?"
So much innocent fear was brewing within her eyes- tears threatening to spill as she remained out of the men's shadows for now and within the moonlight.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

NightWind

Kalrick started back at her touch until he realized it was quite accidental- even though after coming into contact with their charge, not to mention the screaming and hysterics, there were five crossbows trained on the terrified woman as she lay blubbering. Evidently his guards were determined not to demonstrate their earlier laxity in his security. He watched her recoil with an amused smirk as she scrambled back and continued to shriek.
   He took a perverse sense of excitement from staring down at one who was in obvious terror of him, his predatory instincts surging with the desire to fall upon the poor woman and feed. Forcing his baser urges down and cocking his head slightly, he tried to figure out why this woman was nailed shut inside a coffin- apparently, her own coffin. 'Essyran,' he mused, looking over her features. 'Matches the point of origin, at least.' Kalrick raised his hand slightly in a curt gesture, and the crossbows were lowered- though his men still looked wary and alert.
   "I am one High Lord Kalrick Zendarium of Jadenshine," he announced in his quiet, calm voice. "This is my personal guard." Briefly he indicated the assorted men and women standing about. "This coffin... your coffin," he corrected himself, "was in the possession of the band of smugglers and bandits we've been pursuing for the last three days. A better question, my Lady, would be who are you, and what were you doing nailed up in that coffin?"

visualspice

Her green eyes were wide as the man looked her over, something about it made her squirm and had her chewing about on her lower lip anxiously. But as the weapons were lowered and he introduced himself, timidly she lifted her head, her lips in a bit of a pout as she looked them all over. They still were staring at her warily, as if she had done something wrong and goodness- she had to wonder- Had she?!

"Goodness!" she said, blinking at the  audacity someone would try to steal her coffin. "Someone had stolen it?" She said, chewing on her fingernails, only to realize, with a sheepish blush, she was still wearing her black gloves, the same gloves she always wore to keep her rotting skin hidden (well, when it was rotting, it was hardly rotten now since she was 'recomposed' or rather 'reanimated back to life' recently (and the rotting and turning back into a mummy never occured until the last few weeks before she would die again) and promptly dropped her hand back onto her layered skirts. She shook her head. "I don't think I understand, but gracious, this does put me in quite the awkward predicament," she sniffled, lowering her gaze so that her green eyes were staring down at her skirts that she now fidgeted over through long lashes.

"You see I.. I.." but what story would these men believe!? That she was some cursed ancient Essyrni woman back from the grave in a continual cycle to live as a mortal for a few months, only to be cursed back into a corpse for another? She felt the tears stinging at her eyes and looked away, brushing them off with the backs of her curled hands as she began to weep.

"Oh, I'm sorry, but I just don't think I have a good enough explanation that you might believe. I mean the coffin is mine, truthfully, but I.. oh goodness!" She shook her head with a whimper. "I can not begin to explain why on earth I'd be nailed within and then whisked away to be found here- Goodness knows where here is, anyways. But you said, what was it? Jadenshine?" She worked at wiping away more tears, still pouting as she looked back over at Lord Kalrick with no more of an expression than that of a lonely dog.

"Oh, and do forgive my manners," she said, sniffling back her pathetic, girlish sobs as she moved to stand, curtsying rigidly within her coffin. "I am Lady Averella." She sniffled again. "And Lady of what? I don't know." Again with the pout. "It's seems I've lost everything over the years and really the coffin is all I have left, so if you all don't mind I.. I'd like to have no trouble when I bring it back home." and then she paused to consider. "Wait, what country is this?" She placed a hand worriedly to her cheek, realizing NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING looked familiar. Where were the palms!? The figs!? The reeds!?

NightWind

He stood up to full height then, crossing his arms and frowning thoughtfully. The woman was dressed quite warmly for one of desert origins. Her reaction did not indicate she was much of a traveler, either. This "Averella" was a strange one, indeed.
   "You are in the province of Jadenshine, located in the riverlands of central Serendipity. How is it that you do not even know where you are? Just how long have you been in that coffin?" Her sad eyes had no more effect than they would have on a stone. "Your story is highly suspicious, Lady Averella. I'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that. It's not every day people just show up in coffins, you know." Kalrick told her, cocking an eyebrow.
   "So you have a coffin, which you were sleeping in, only to rise at night." He said dryly. "You claim to have no good explanation as to your... Shall we say, peculiar resting place. In my knowledge, those who sleep in coffins all day and come out in the night," he continued warily, "are Vampires." Quickly Kalrick began to re-asses the situation, looking over the woman thoughtfully. If this woman was a member of the merchant Vampire clan, he would have to step carefully to avoid an incident. Not only that, he would be obliged to help her due to his alliance. on the other hand, if she was a foreign Vampire, she could possibly pose a threat and would have to watched carefully.
   "Well?" He prompted.

visualspice

As Kalrick moved to his full height, Averella cowered back to realize just how tall the man was while his blue eyes pierced down upon her. She visibly flinched beneath it, and felt her stomach turn cold at the idea he tossed out the notion she might be a vampire.
"Vampire? Goodness, no!" she protested, eyes blinking swiftly as she tried to collect herself but her mind was swirling with all sorts of thoughts and emotions, it was hard to think straight. Shaking her head, she moved to carefully step out of of her coffin, and onto the river bank. And once her feet were secure upon the ground, she peered back up at the black haired man again and realized, GOODNESS, he was even taller than before! At least the coffin had given her another inch or two.
Her lower lip visibly trembled as she gazed upon him, drawing her hands together and wringing them about, her hips settling this way, then that, unable to get comfortable in how she stood due to her nerves.
"Please just understand me when I say there are good reasons I am out here. A vampire I am not, but the coffin means a lot to me and the memory of my family and what has been left of my life,"s he began, voice still trembling as she was having a most difficult time to explain. "You say this is Serendipity?" she frowned. "Goodness, I've come so far North.." she went about, thinking back to her geography. She did have a map of the land- but oh! That's when she recalled.
"Oh no, my things!" she stammered, realizing if they had abducted her and her coffin, all of her work, all of her research would have been lost or confiscated away by those ruffians! "Oh! What am I to do!? I had all of my maps and writings and research back at my home and well, now all of it's lost and I haven't a clue as to where I was in the middle of my research and now I'm even more lost and clueless than ever!"
She sighed through a whimper, glancing around as if she might find her things about her before turning back to Lord Kalrick and taking his hand suddenly and looking into his eyes, pleading and imploring him as she did so. "Please, you must help me! When you found my coffin, was there anything else about? Any maps or relics or journals? A diary? Anything?" she squeezed his hand again, looking so hopeful into his eyes, but in the same measure, there was always fear and doubt. Not for this stranger, but for the loss of her things.
Goodness! What would she do if she had lost everything!?

NightWind

Kalrick grunted as he listened to her lame excuses, watching her squirm in discomfort. He turned his head slightly to cast a look at the sergeant; he received a baffled expression and a slight shrug in return. Apparently the soldier was just a unsure as he himself. He mulled it over as he stared silently at the odd woman. If she was a Vampire of the local clan, she'd have recognized him and and identified herself as such- unless she was carrying out some sort of covert assignment. So if she were to be a Vampire, she would either have some reason to keep her cover story nailed down (he smiled faintly at the irony in that thought) or not want to reveal herself due to general caution.
   "Be that as it may-" he began, before his hand was seized and clenched by Averella. His eyes flashed at the insolence! At the outrage! At the audacity!
   "I am not sure how things are done in Essryn, Lady Averella," he began stiffly, "but hereabouts one does not simply lay hands upon the person of a High Lord so if you don't mind..." He trailed off as he coldly peeled her hands off of his own. "Anything that those men had was on their ship." Kalrick said shortly, indicating a badly damaged river boat that was busy sinking into the water. The small craft bore evidence of fire damage, and splintered wood suggesting lightning bolts. The vulnerable, fear-filled look in her eyes was beginning to irk him as much as it did stir his predatory instincts. "Roland. Tor." He made curt gestures to two of the men standing about and they removed their Jadeplate armor, stripping to the waist and forming simple air funnels with elemental magic as they dove in the river, striking towards the sinking vessel.
   "If there was anything else on board, my men will find it. Likely, though, these men could not even read and would not recognize the value of any books, nor any charts that did not clearly map out trade routes." He told Averella.

visualspice

Lady Averella appeared baffled, then embarrassed when Kalrick removed his hand.

"I'm sorry, it's just that-" but then as he went on, she sighed, obviously crestfallen as her entire form wilted, almost in deflation. But then at the mention of where her things might be, she perked up. Her eyes went to the sinking ship. With a gasp, she suddenly scrambled away from the men, running against the marshes along the side of the river while clinging to her skirts beneath gloved hands. She tried desperately to get over to the ship, which was a complication in itself as her skirts ballooned around her, and her stocking and boots took on water, making each step heavier. She fought both the water's current and clothing in a futile effort before pausing half way and collapsing into her pillowing skirts with a defeated whimper.

"All my things.. my research. My books, my journals.."
Her lips trembled as she sniffed back tears, but her efforts were futile as a few began to stream down her cheeks. Hanging her head, she appeared almost bereaved, her clothing as dark as the night, the color of mourning as she remained still, chest heaving with breath and choked tears as the river waters continued to stream and pull around her.

NightWind

He watched the lady slosh into the water, one of his eyebrows arched at the absurdity. The woman had taken leave of her senses! And now she was crying? Kalrick sighed and put his hand to his temples- this already promised to be a trying evening. He absolutely loathed the sound of crying people. "Woman, pull yourself together." He said to Averella. "Look, there are some of your things now." He pointed to a small pile of artifacts and personal effects that was growing as his men hauled more and more from the sunken craft. He stirred the pile about with his foot. There were odd relics, an unusual-looking cross with a looped top, a stylized eye... He even saw what appeared to be a beetle made of brass. He grunted again as he saw a soggy pile of documents, doubtlessly ruined by the wet. "Don't be too optimistic for your research, my Lady." He advised. "The rest of your things look to be alright, though." He noted as they dragged a chest from the water, setting it down with a solid "thud".

visualspice

OOC: Figures stuff comes up and I can't sleep. pfff. Guess I might as well post XD

----------------------

A few hot tears rolled down her cheeks over the loss of her research.
"Three thousand years.." she whispered. "And all of it gone."

Sighing, she finally pulled herself from the water, approaching the trunk he had dug out from the ship and collapsed beside it in the mud. She clutched the artifacts resting nearby, keeping the golden beetle close to her heart. Though some of these items had been taken, she had to wonder what was left inside her trunk. The trunk contained most of her valuables, but the research.. she should have been more guarded. She would have to go by memory now and start from scratch. As she lamented, she realized how rude she was being. These men just saved the remainder of her things, herself included.

"Th-thank you.. and your men, for stopping them from stealing all of my assets. I... I'm at least grateful some of them still remain." Though tears were still sparkling in her eyes, she seemed more calm now as she brushed back a few tears and sighed, trying to calm herself before peering   back down at the chest. "If I had money, I wish I could pay you for your time. But it seems now I'm stranded here in these lands without a clue as to how I ought to get my items back to my home." She shook her head. The coffin itself was heavy, her trunk- somewhat more manageable, but she wasn't about to leave either behind. But what was a girl to do? She needed a place to sleep when she turned back into a mummy, and well, the trunk carried almost all of her valuables (some clothing included), though those who valued antiquities would probably love to get their hands on that chest. It was probably the reason it was stolen. It was then she noted the latch was broken. Her lips parted, staring at it as tears shined across her eyes.

Then with a heavy heart, she opened the chest. Feeling relief only after her eyes scanned across her items still left relatively intact. There were a few more scrolls, a palm fan, evidently aged, a few more painted beetles, a leather bound book, a few clay jars, some jewelry (notably old, and one aegis necklace having fine beads and jewels strewn across it in several rows). There was even a soft, black gossamer dress (Though that was hardly the clothing she had lost). The thieves must have left her actual clothing behind.

NightWind

"Such is our duty, my Lady. It is our responsibility to stamp out banditry within these lands to keep our citizens safe. You need not pay us." Kalrick informed her. "Be thankful that you not only have some few possessions, but your life. Though I can't imagine what would have driven these men to seal you up in a coffin."
   He was still unconvinced by her story. In fact, his mind was racing to find a way to keep her under his eye until he could figure her out. If she was a Vampire, he needed to know why she was here. If she wasn't, he needed to know what she was doing in that coffin. He would hate to be responsible for setting free some ancient demon temptress safely sealed in her resting place for a thousand years or more- such a mess to clean up after. As he watched her sort through her possessions an idea came to him.
   "You say you lost research- are you perhaps a scholar of some type? We have in Jadenshine a fine university. Such a house of learning does not see its equal in all of Serendipity." He paused as she found a black dress- she would look quite fetching in that gossamer gown, and Kalrick always preferred his meals to be... presentable, at least. 'Maybe she won't make it as far as the University, after all...' He mused. "If you like, we could accompany you there," he said aloud. "I'm sure you can find reliable notes or manuscripts on whatever subject it is you are studying." There. That would ensure that she would stay within easy reach if he should discover her purpose here, or if she needed to be eliminated.

visualspice

At his words, Averella turned to Kalrick, her eyes going wide.
"You.. you would help me!?" she inquired, eyes blinking as she was taken back by his offer. "Oh, thank you so much! That would be very helpful indeed! I could bring all of my things there and make a more thorough research. Perhaps they have a few books about ancient Essyrni. It would be good to compare what I know to what is written here. Er.. where did you say here was again?" Lady Averella asked. She had gotten so excited in the moment she had gotten to her feet and approached Kalrick, taking him affectionately by the hand as her eyes had been glittering adoringly at the prospect of these men being able to help her during her time of need. Now she was still holding his hand and staring at him curiously.

NightWind

Kalrick blew a long sigh, once again peeling her hands from his own. "Jadenshine, my Lady. We're in Jadenshine, central province of Serendipity." He explained. "And I would thank you to not lay hands upon the person of the High Lord of Jadenshine."
   He turned and gestured to his men, slipping a signet ring from his finger and placing it in the hand of the sergeant. "Go to the nearest town- Willowbreeze, I think it is- and commandeer a cart with horses. Show this to anyone who objects too strenuously. Be sure to pay them fair value." He added as an afterthought. That ought to keep frictions down. The sergeant saluted smartly and took to horse, galloping off to the west. A most capable woman, the sergeant.
   "We'll load up your things upon the sergeant's return, and proceed at once to my estate. The University will be closed at this hour and you have said you have no money for an inn room. You will be my honored guest for the evening." That ought to buy him time to make up his mind, and to meet with his contacts from the merchant Vampire clan. Their agents could get to the bottom of this quickly and quietly, and then it would be decided whether this "Lady Averella" stays or not.

visualspice

Averella blushed as Kalrick reminded her of Serenian propriety.
"Oh." her blush deepened as she held her gloved hands before her skirts. "It's just from where I came from in Essyrni, customs were much more different. But.. I suppose, back then, most of the world was under the influence of the empire." She drifted off in thought as she mulled it over, then stood back to observe Kalrick addressing his men. She bowed her head to him.
"Thank you again for helping him," she whispered softly, bowing once again before raising her head. "Is there anything I can do to help in the mean time? I'd feel much better if I could be of some use. After all, I've caused you so much trouble already."

NightWind

Kalrick grunted as he waved his hand in a dismissive gesture. "There's  really nothing to do. Once the sergeant returns we can load your things onto the wagon and be off." He looked closely at her as she implied that she was much older than she looked.
   Much, much older.
   He decided not to make an issue of it at the moment. If she had let something slip accidentally and did not realize he had caught it, it would be an advantage to his questioning. If all else failed, he could merely Compel her. Whatever the end result, he would worry about it more once they got to the manor house. "The sergeant should be returning shortly. In the meantime, just put your mind at ease. I daresay you've had quite the adventure tonight already."

visualspice

Averella wrung her hands.
"Yes, I suppose you are right, but it's hard for me to relax after such an event." She sighed, wilting at the thought before raising a gloved hand to brush a dark curl from her eye. She peered over at Kalrick, her lips in a pout before staring over at his men who were tending to her things. As they began to lift her coffin, she gasped, stepping forward.
"Oh, please! Do be careful with that. It's rather old and should be treated delicately!"
She had taken another step, but let herself pause, clutching her hands against her chest in worry. She had to remind herself these people were willing to help. But she couldn't help but feel quite protective over her things.

NightWind

The sergeant watched as her men loaded up the wagon, sliding the coffin in the back and roughly piling Averella's things around it. Hands clasped behind her back, she gave curt orders and made sure those orders were carried out, to the letter. "That's the last of it, Lord Kalrick," she said as the final bundle was placed in the bed of the wagon, "We can depart whenever you and the Lady are ready."
   "Excellent," Kalrick said, nodding to the sergeant respectfully. "Mount up, men. We ride at once." He turned to Averella, who had no horse. "My Lady, since you have no mount, you will ride on the wagon with your things. I'm sure it will provide you with peace of mind to know they are near." He gestured and one of his men took the reins of his horse, leading it off a ways as Kalrick stepped by the front of the wagon, offering his hand to Averella.
   "My Lady...?"

visualspice

Averella's eyes never left the cart. Her heart was pounding a million miles a minute, and her hands were sweating beneath her gloves. So when his hand was offered out to her, and the words spoken of what was to be done with her, she had almost ignored it when she turned around, noting the hand and was drawn back to reality.

"Th-thank you," she said with a humbled bow, and taking his hand, she stepped into the back of the wagon, settling down into a seat as best as she could around her things and stared back over towards Kalrick.

"Thank you," she replied softly again, then turned away, resting a hand upon her coffin and drew in a breath to steady her nerves, but still, her heart continued to hammer away, and sweat collected across her brow. "It means a great deal to me you have offered to help." And she bowed her head again, an ancient Essyrnian custom that had still not been lost to her from the ages. The bow consisted of her dipping down low, touching her forehead to her skirts before she raised her head again, awkwardly smiled at him wtih uncertainty before glancing away as she chewed on the side of her lower lip and waited for the caravan to take her some place far safer than here.