Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dancing and Dragons

Started by visualspice, August 27, 2013, 09:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: Since this thread died, and this thread takes place before this event, just going to go ahead and make it's own thread for this so Lion and I can move onwards to dancing and dragons 8D

-----------------

Devaniée nodded her head with a wondrous smile as the Lord and Lady of Summervale greeted them. She was positively glowing, her cheeks lightly flushed at his compliment as naturally, the Lord would address her on her beauty- for it was no secret Lord Acaulian had married such a fine woman.

"You are too kind. We are just elated that we had the opportunity to attend." She looped her arm into her husband's and gave Tristan a cordial nod. "I'm sure you know how busy my husband can be, what with the university and his research. They have been conducting many interesting studies. Perhaps we can all discuss it later?" She bowed with grace, holding onto the side of her skirts with her other free hand before rising her eyes to Tristan's, then to her husband. But as the Acaulian's moved to step away, a breath caught within Devaniée's throat as she clutched onto her husband's arm.
Her parents were in attendance. Her parents..

She hadn't seen either in quite a while, and for now, it seemed her mother was preoccupied with the guests, but that didn't stop Devaniée from feeling uncomfortable, so it might have seen peculiar to her husband when she turned to Doryx and asked, "Say, why don't you and I get a drink?" She idly played with a loose curl of her blonde hair. "The road has been long for us from Darken Vei. I'm sure Lord Anell has provided a wonderful array of drinks. Being so close to the ocean allows for fruitful trade, and I know this area is known to have good nectar wines and flowering drinks, so Lord Anell is known for displaying his punches with floating fruit pieces." She hugged onto him tighter, made a rigid turn, and began to guide him away to the drink able, which was perfectly placed on the opposing side of the room from her mother. THat must have been the one thing that was good about living in Darken Vei. Her mother rarely visited, only traveled for prestigious occasions (prestigious to her meaning balls and other gala events where she could strut her social wiles to the public).

She knew her mother has been gloating about her daughter's marriage to the Lord of Darken Vei ever since. But that was years ago. Letters since have been from her mother pressing grand children, reminding Devaniée how scandalous it seems they've been married for so long without even the announcement they were trying for an heir. But each reply was the same, and every time it became increasingly more difficult to read her mother's letters. Everytime she had to read one, it was as if her mother was watching her over her shoulder, ready to lecture her on the right way to dress, to walk, what to wear, and how to treat her husband. In one sense, her marriage had made her free of her parents, but in the same breath, it was almost feeling like a death trap.

She felt her skin growing hot, and was glad to find an enormous punch bowl on the drink table and didn't wait for her husband to offer to pour her a cup. She went to get it herself, pouring half of the contents with the ladle outside of the cup rather than into it, as she gave a frustrated sigh. Half of a cup was fine, she didn't try to pour more as she lifted the cup to her lips and downed the drink within seconds.

This party would definitely prove interesting, especially when the cursed dragon bracelet on her wrist was the last thing she was worried about. Any curse in the world would seem like a vacation to the stifling hold her mother held upon her, and as she remained over by the drink table, having already finished her first cup, it was there Lady Acaulian's mother turned and caught sight of her, giving her daughter that plastic, fake smile she always did. And Devaniée felt sick. SHe forced herself to smile back, but let her eyes drift away, her body jerking back towards the punch bowl.

"This is rather good!"s he said hastily, fakely, and began to pour a second glass and was already downing it as she leaned ungracefully over the table. "Perhaps you should have a cup for yourself, my husband." But no matter how quickly she was drinking it, she was having a hard time keeping herself from shaking. Perhaps if the dancing would start soon it would work the nerves out of her. She had no idea she'd act this way infront of her mother, but she also had no idea her mother would have been in attendance.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Once they'd arrived to the ball, as fashionably late as they could possibly be considering they'd traveled by carriage all he way from Darken Vei, Doryx was surprised to admit - even to himself - that he was just happy to be there once and for all.  They'd gone through so much more than just the risk of bandits and highwaymen (though it wouldn't have been long for them to make an appearance of their own anyway) and to finally reach their destination in at least one piece was a great relief to Doryx.  He would bear the bore of a celebratory ball for his wife's sake.  He only hoped she'd agree to finding a different route back than returning by carriage once again.

Doryx knew the roles to fill, just as his wife did, when it came to the greetings and introductions.  He was lucky to have someone who fell into it so easily, and it was in that moment that he was quite all right with her falling into her false smiles and false greetings and even more manufactured small talk.  It was the accepted act of mingling among the rich and powerful, and when they were finally alone beside the beverages, Doryx released another sigh of relief.

It was then that he glanced at his wife and noticed she was acting strange, even for the false guises she paraded for the sake of the Serenian nobility.  "What's the matter?" he leaned in to whisper beside her as he indeed took a small glass of wine from a nearby waiter and thanked the man with a nod of his head.  "Oh...gods."  The question was answered for him when he heard the high-pitched cry of greeting of the woman he knew only as Devaniee's mother.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Lady Vanera Roser'ren was a mirrored reflection of the perfection that was her daughter. With blonde hair cut short to a series of perfect curls to her chin, thin lips painted pink as a rose, and long panted lashes she could bat at just about any one to let them know, in that simple action, she held power; and loads of it. Though her power was more from associations, money, her husband, and now, the very man her only daughter had married, Vanera had just about every reason to hold her chin up high, to show case those dazzling pearly whites, and flash her lilac eyes to all those adoring her in the crowd.

So it didn't take long for her to approach her daughters side, and at first glance, one might think they could be twins, but upon further scrutiny, Vanera's age was evident around her eyes, though the rest of her, it was masked well in make up and all the care she had put upon herself over the years. After all, she was bred for perfection.

"Ah, Lord Doryx," she said, bowing more gracefully than a dove before him before rising her eyes that sparkled in respect and nobility, "It is so good to see my son in law here at the Summervale celebration. It has been far too long since the last time I saw you, being such a busy man." And she afforded him a knowing pout, and single nod before turning her gaze towards her daughter and grinned at her knowingly.
"Though I'm sure my daughter has taken care of you well?" she inquired, reaching forward to kiss both sides of his cheek before embracing him, and doing the same with her child.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Doryx had never prepared himself for the day when he would finally meet with his mother-in-law face to face.  With the way Devaniee never spoke of her willingly and reluctance to even hear her name in conversation, Doryx foolishly assumed he would never have to.  But lo and behold the day did come and with every heartbeat the Lady that was his wife's splitting image was already within range.  He did not panic, he did not even smile, but merely observed as he was wont to do, first peering down toward his wife then to the Lady.

Three...

Two...

"Shit," he whispered to himself when the Lady Venera approached at last.  "Oh Lady Venera!  How lovely it is to see you."  Again?

He gave a nervous laugh and returned the kiss to her cheeks, smiling graciously as he did so and then looking at his wife with nervous eyes.   

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

"Yes, lovely indeed," Lady Vanera prompted as she took a step closer to gain her son-in-laws attention as her lilac eyes searched his. "But I did not hear an answer to my question, though I suppose my daughter is doing her job well enough since you haven't sent her back to us." And she laughed softly at the joke.

Devaniée shifted uneasily, and smiled at her mother, but it never reached her eyes.
"We've been well, mother," she began, tucking back her hair as she stared at her feet, but only of ra second, knowing that her mother would scrutinize her for it later as bad etiquette. So she squared her shoulders and looked her mother in the eyes.
"How is father?"

Her mother's eyes danced, though coldly as she drew in a careful sigh and looked around for him.
"You know your father, Lord Hollick is always seeking some sort of reprieve," she shrugged at that and smiled back towards the pair. "Though we must play catch up. What have the two of you been up to lately?" And then to Doryx, she grinned more coyly, "Will I see any grand children soon? I would love to meet them before I become an old prune!" she said with a growing smile.

Lion

The irony of her last sentence was not lost on Doryx and he gave a smirk because of it, but he played it off as if he were merely laughing in jest and took the opportunity to step in closer to his wife.  He took a sip of his own drink, noticing the clear discomfort Devaniee displayed, though she too tried to play it off as little more than casual conversation.  He put an arm around her waist for a moment as he smiled out to Vanera.

"Oh, I know the wait for grandchildren must be dreadful," Doryx said, hoping his playful tone of voice would effectively lighten the mood.  And if he could, direct the conversation away from the topic after a quick decisive answer.  "But I suppose the wait is mostly due to my overtly busy schedule.  As you know, I do a lot of work for the colleges of our province.  But I think time has come to take time off to enjoy ourselves for the time being."

He smiled graciously and gestured to Vanera once more.  "But listen to us going on and on.  Where is your husband, Lady Vanera?  Surely he'd want to come to such a grand gathering?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Lady Vanera's eyes sparkled as she clutched her drink.
"Naturally," she said after a time,t hen gestured towards a group of men off in the corner. And the men around him were most prestigious in the fields of foreign trade. "He knows how to fit into conversations like a glove." And she looked the pair over, grinning down at her daughter before turning to Lord Doryx.

"It's good to hear you'll finally have some down time. Perhaps it's time we invited the pair of you over for a visit at our manor? You will find the gardens less exquisite than your own, I'm sure, but the forest and flora are beautiful in our little place in Jadenshine."

Lion

Speaking of gloves, Doryx was glad he decided to go without and felt his palms become sweaty under Vanera's persistent scrutiny.  His eyes widened a little at the suggestion of visiting his mother-in-law's manor and he gave her a clever smirk.  "Our plans have us travelling all over the country.  If time allows...perhaps we could drop in," he said.  Cutting his eyes to Devaniee, he hoped he didn't overstep his bounds in being disrespectful to either his wife or his mother-in-law.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Oh, you plan to travel? What a lovely idea. It would be wise to.do that before having children." Vanera said as she looked her daughter over before her pale eyes returned to his. "Just send a letter so we can prepare accordingly." And she lightly touched her son in law's hand. "How goes your work at the.college? Any new discoveries lately?"

Lion

Doryx paled a little at the question but he covered his mouth with his drink once more and smiled down at his mother-in-law before shaking his head and giving a soft shrug.  "Not particularly," he said.  "We've been focusing more on getting the new students settled in and reworking the curriculum to fit in new topics of exploration.  We're getting an expedition ready to explore emptied forts in the north of the province."  He gave a meek smile and patted his mother-in-law's hand.  "How have you been as of late?  I'm afraid, I don't receive much news from Jadenshine as of late."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"All the more reason the pair of you ought to come for a visit," Vanera pressed, a polished smile stretched across her lips as she fluttered her painted lashes at the pair. "As much as the school is busy with activity, I'm sure the pair of you are not too exhausted to consider your futures?" She tilted her head curiously to one side- for it was evident she was drawing the conversation back tot he focus of children.

"Yes, well, it's not that we haven't been trying, mother-" Devaniée  began, tucking back some of her pale blonde hair from where it was tickling at her face.. and it was only then her mother noticed the bracelet and gasped.

"Such a necklace!" she siad, taking Devaniée's hand suddenly. "Oh, it's got lovely craftsman ship, but it's far too bulky for your slender wrist. You should not wear it for long. it could warp your bones or give you wrist problems."

Devaniée blushed and yanked her hand away, quickly avoiding her mother's gaze as her cheeks heated pink.
"Mother," she whispered coarsely. "It was a gift."

And Vanera's eyes went wide as she looked up at Doryx.
"Oh, deary, you and I need to have a serious talk about gifts to give a lady.." she began to say, but smiled none the less as she leaned nearer towards Lord Doryx.

Lion

Doryx paled underneath her scrunity, but he knew she would notice if he stepped away and just leaned in closer to his wife.  "Well, nothing is too extravagant for a woman as lovely as your daughter, but I guess I didn't think this all the way through."  He gave a nervous laugh and then saw new people enter  into the ball and gestured toward one of them.  "Gods above, the Lord and Lady Mason Madeira of Northwatch.  Minor baron and baroness.  But damn do they know how to make an entrance."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Vanera glanced their way. Her grin darkened a little before she returned her gaze back to Doryx.
"So tell me.. where had you found this lovely item?" And she let her hands trace over the air above the bracelet as Devaniée flinched beneath the attentions.

Lion

Doryx was growing increasingly uncomfortable under Vanera's gaze.  He gave her a smile regardless and looked down at the wrist of his wife.  "From only the finest jewelers Darken Vei has to offer," he answere coolly.  He sighed and gestured toward the dinner tables.  "If it wouldn't be too much trouble, Lady Vanera, but my wife and I would like to get a table of our own before they're all gone.  We came a long way and we'd like to sit before the dancing begins."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Vanera smiled sweetly and nodded.
"Certainly. I shall go inform my husband you both are here," and she curtsied proper before strollin elegantly away. She wasn't stupid, she knew they were both trying to be rid of her. So they could have their moment. She could speak to Devaniée later.

And it was when her mother was gone did Devaniée finally release a held breath as she trembled a little, her eyes fixated on her mother's disappearing form.

Lion

Doryx too visibly relaxed once Vanera had made herself scarce finding her husband.  If everything Devaniee said about her mother was true - and Doryx had no reason to believe that it wasn't - then Doryx knew too that the Vanera probably honed in on their combined tension.  He turned to his wife and motioned for her to follow with him to the tables across the dance floor. 

"You were right," he said in a low voice.  "Everything you said.  Good gods, I'm in-laws with that?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Devaniée could be composed through many things that have happened to her through her life; but as of lately, her barriers were coming crashing down, and trying to remain strong in her mother's presence, and also, hearing her husband sudden appalling words about her family made her feel overly self conscience as she turned away from him, to leave.
"I'll be back a moment," she said softly. "I need to powder my nose." And before he had a chance to stop her, she was already half-way across the room and disappeared into the crowd.

Lion

Doryx knew he'd said something he shouldn't have when  his wife abruptly turned from him and left his side.  He sighed and ducked his head before taking his seat at the table and just turning his eyes up to watch the guests file in.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

It would be some time before Lady Acaulian would return, and the event continued to move along without her. Off to one corner, her mother had stolen the lime light while entertaining some well to do merchants who were so wealthy, they were naturally welcomed to these such noble affairs. Though it was around this time Miss Gray appeared as she tapped on Doryx shoulder and afforded him a small smile.
"You look bored."

Lion

Doryx turned his head and spied Stephanie out of the corner of his eye.  He gave her a meager shrug and a sigh.  A glass of wine sat in front of him, barely touched as it were and he gave her a lazy sigh once more.  Sitting back, he peered up at her and invited her to sit beside him.  "Bored doesn't even begin to describe what I'm feeling," he said, resting his head on his hand and elbow on the table.  "Oh the things we do for love."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn