Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Attack on Sandworms [Cronowind]

Started by Winters-Feather, May 10, 2014, 09:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winters-Feather

The squall of a new born was greeted by the strong rays of sun peaking through the thin tent. While the new father struggled to cut the umbilical cord with a sterilized knife, Yenna gently cleaned the baby using water from a basin.
"A strong girl. You should be proud," she said before wrapping the baby in clean linin and presenting her to the mother. Where as Yenna was short and as tan as leather, the mother was tall, paler, and blonde. Her muscular body and fearsome scars indicated her profession as a mercenary. Even so, she accepted the child with gentle grace. Her face glowed at the child, and her eyes were focused only on the babe.

The father patted Yenna on the shoulder.
"Thank you so much," he said, sheepishly.
Yenna nodded. The merc, had sent an urgent message by a kaadir the evening before, pleading for the wise woman's help. In fact, it was the very one that Yenna had rented to the couple, which is why she was in this particular situation. His name was Suni and one of Yenna's fastest and most intelligent. They asked for her to stay longer, but Yenna only agreed to stay for a morning meal.  Though her son and husband were capable of running the kaadir farm and business by themselves, her daughter was to have a championship match that evening that Yenna had sworn not to miss. Before that, however, Yenna wanted to go home to nap during midday and change into clean clothes.

"I'll give you an extra three days to return Suni, if you need it," she told the beaming father as they walked out of the tent together. He carried her saddle bags and began to attach them to the saddle of a second kaadir that Yenna had arrived on, a black beast by the name of Khan. The man watched as Yenna untied Khan's reigns to one of the tent's posts.
"Do you need help?" he asked awkwardly.
Yenna let out a sharp laugh as she grabbed hold of the saddle. It was an often asked question. Yenna, though a full grown woman with leathery skin and muscles due to hard work, was as short as a child and so was sometimes mistaken for one. To accommodate this, her saddle was specially made for her, with extra grips and a small stepping ladder. It helped that Khan, her personal dragon, was one of the shortest of his breed.
"No," Yenna reassured him as she hosted herself up with ease.
She put on glasses to help block out the sun and sand and wrapped a veil around her face before ridding off into the vast desert.

--

The newly parent's camp was no more than a few hours ride from Essyrn. Though close to the city, it was still dangerous. Bandits were afoot, and the  sandworms, though not always necessarily hostile, were known to have  killed travelers. The merc's camp was safe, as it was protected with charmed tailsmen, but Yenna had no such charms or magic. A kaadir was fine protection, but even so, Yenna rode hard and  scanned the golden landscape for clouds of dust and moving figures with a hand close to a knife.

Cronowind

Aeron sat up from his large, comfortable chair. Only to notice that he wasn't sitting in the chair, exactly. He was floating a few inches above it. He was floating in his home again. He sighed softly, he knew what that meant! Focusing his mind on stability and the fortitude of earth. He willed the runes of rock to form in his mind. He focused three runes in his mind of earth before casting them upon himself.

Lucky thing too. A few seconds later his entire house would shake like it had been picked up by the hand of the gods and tossed about like a toy. A resounding crash would fill his ears and senses as his body crashed to the floor in a heap. The thick coating of hardened clay around his body which he had summoned in the nick of time took the force of the crash and shattered. Pots and pans flew everywhere. His sword, a dull hunk of bronze would fly and bounce off the wall, leaving a small cut in the leather interior of the wall of his home. His staff clattered around in the case he always left it in...

And his large leaf parchment containing the news of serendipity went flying! "Nooo, damn it! I wanted to see the political section!" *He scrambled across the floor, chasing the parchment as it was carried by the wind towards the door. Aeron looked around his ramshackle house, he could clean it later. He wanted that paper! He would coil like a spring and launch himself towards the paper, and hit the door as he caught the paper. The door must have been slightly ajar, because it exploded outward and he ejected from his home in a rather unceremonious thump into...

"Sand!?!" *Aeron complained as he sat up. The heat was intense as he had his darkened hood up. To anybody looking into the hood, they would see nothing but blackness inside. The gold and red hood was quite beautiful. He'd jump up and brush himself off. Looking around. He'd lean down and pick up a handful of the stuff.  "Essyrn!?" *He'd turn around then and look at the house.* "You dumped me in the hottest place on earth you damn house!" *He would kick the side of his dwelling, and yelp at the pain.*

Hopping on one foot up and down, clutching at his shoe, the toe of which curled upward in a fanciful way. His toes throbbed from kicking a house. He didn't even notice that the door had automatically closed and the house had started to glow a soft blue. But when he did notice he'd yelp.*

"No no! NO no no! Don't leave! I'm not inside you fool!" *He'd try to grab onto his dwelling. But, with a slight groan. The window would open and launch his staff and sword out onto the sand. Then with a soft 'boink' sound, the house would vanish.

"Since when does the teleportation process make a BOINK sound?!" He'd grumble before going to walk up to his sword and staff. Placing the bronze sword on his hip, and the staff in his hand. He'd sigh. The house would return for him soon. In a few days, or a few hours. He didn't know. But he might as well explore some!

--

Yenna was riding hard. It must have been a very hot day out there, it was public knowledge that being out in the sun could cause people to see things such as water or trees in the distance. That wasn't exactly the case here. If she studied the further distance. She'd see a brown object just appear in the sky with a blue flash and fall much further ahead in the distance. It was too far to make out real details other than a brown blob, but something had just impacted earth.

After a while further or riding. She'd see a strange sight. A large loose leaf piece of parchment flying through the air towards her. Followed by a figure in a red robe a few minutes later. If she reached out to pick up the paper, she would see the daily news in serendipity and a few stories about the comings and goings of the people. Granted if she just let it go, she'd eventually run up into a new person all together. The man stood in red robes, his face covered by the darkness the hood provided from the sun.*

"Excuse me! Can you help me for a moment good miss? You see, I don't rightly know where I am. Other than Essyrn. I could use a glass of water, oh and have you seen my paper around here anywhere?" *The man looked this way and that, if she had grabbed the paper she might comment, if she hadn't then he'd just slump his shoulders and sighed.*

"Today hasn't been a good day. No miss, it has not. Some good news would be taken in good spirits!"

Winters-Feather

Khan sensed the magician coming before Yenna did. He sniffed the air with a moment's hesitation, his neck stiff. Yenna caught on his anxiety. She looked towards the west, where a cloud of dust was rising. Fearing the worst,
I have at least a half hour, she thought. We can outride them.
"HA!" Yenna said, sharply, as she cracked the reigns.
Khan picking up speed.

A few minutes later, Khan sneezed, distracted by a fluttering thing, carried by the breeze. Yenna initially dismissed it as rather large bug, but it was too flat and less noisy. She noticed it a large and thin sheet of paper, tossed violently in the desert's wind. Curious, Yenna reached out for it and grunted as she stretched her arm out to retrieve it. As Khan rode, the paper flailed wildly in her hand, covering her face and blinding her. Yenna yelped in protest before she managed to peel the thing off and properly examine it. The text was entirely written in Common, accompanied by a few illustrations. She narrowed her eyes trying to make sense of it all. Yenna was quick with her numbers, but her writing was very basic. Her husband knew more than she. She could make out "Serendpity," but-

A voice abruptly pulled her from her thoughts. Yenna gasped and Khan shrieked at the sight of the hooded figure. Yenna pulled the reigns to a halt as she observed the figure before her. Male, she was certain of. A foreigner, too. And a bit dense with his geography- they weren't in Essyrn quite yet.
"You mean this?" she asked, suspiciously, holding the thing up. Yenna held the paper out carefully, with one hand still by her belt, ready to fight back if needed.
"Are you alone?" she continued, mildly shocked.

Cronowind

It might seem to the observer that this robed man was a strange one. As soon as he saw the woman reveal the parchment he would jump up and down, first on his left leg and then on his right. A little happy-dance as he bobbed his head up and down. After a moment he would look right up to the woman on her drake. Which was when she'd get a good look into his hood, and still see nothing but blackness.

Even if the light should have shone through to his face. It didn't. But he'd hold up his hands in a friendly way.

"You found it! Fantastic, you have no idea how important that piece of paper is. It has the latest news! Did you know that an Archmage in Ravensway had----." *He paused then.* "...Wait you don't care. Fair enough." *He would run his hands over his sleeves. Yet he was also thinking quickly, after all there was two things he didn't trust. The first was the heat and the second was the long beast the woman was riding. Aeron was a learned man and knew they were called fire drakes.

So he formed a rune or two in his mind. Fire and lightning. Based in protection. The energy of lightning to give form to the magic, and the fire being the core. His robes color deepened then, just out of nowhere. From a light red, into a dark red. The heat from the desert vanished for him, at least for a little bit. A bit of fire resistance on the robe never hurt nobody! Did the beasts even breathe fire?

Fuck if he knew. But given the name he might as well.

"Am I alone? Well, no. I'm not alone. -You- are here. With your lizard." *He nodded then.* "Unless you mean, do I have anybody here of which I know? In which case, no. I am without friends here in this place. Unless you want to be my friend, which you can easily do!" *He would then walk up without a care, and would lean dramatically from several paces away, and would reach out. His hand would attempt to snag the paper from her!

"So, why do you ask? Is there danger out here on this sand? Perhaps some ancient and terrible corpse wrapped in bandages will take us away to his crypt! Or perhaps the sand-people shall come and take our belongings?!" He said, if he was aware the term sand-people was considered offensive to the people of  Essyrn it didn't seem like he knew it...

Granted, by the way he went to just walk beside the woman with his paper (If she had allowed him to take it) showed... well. It was possible this mage wasn't the sharpest sword in the scabbard.

"So who are you miss? The name is Aeron myself. A bit of a wanderer by trade, wizard and solver of most of the worlds problems. Most."

Winters-Feather

"Oh."
Yenna was already exhausted, but listening to man rattle on and on only made her yearn for her bed more. From what she could make from his earnest speech, the man was helplessly lost, and possibly a bit sun-touched. She could barely make out the features of his face. Definitely a foreigner... an ignorant one. Who on earth did he think were the 'sand people'? They ALL lived in the desert. Yenna almost laughed at that, but feared the man would get the urge to kill her and call it a 'handshake.' She politely held out the paper.
"Please, take it," Yenna urged, a little impatiently. "I'm Yenna Firebrow, Khadar herder and merchant. This is Khan, my personal steed. He's very friendly. Do you need help finding Essyrn? I can lead you there. It's good to travel in numbers."

Cronowind

((OOC: I'm sorry for my five day vanishing. I got into Dragon Age Origins again haha. ))

"I could use some help finding shelter for a few days, I fear my ride wont be back for me for about that long. You should never trust magic fully, as it may betray you. Or leave you stranded in Essyrn." The wizard laughed then. Reaching out and taking the paper then. He'd flip the pages then and would look to the woman then.*

"Well, its nice to meet you Miss Firebrow! As for dangers. I most certainly hope so. I've nearly finished my paper you see. Once I've finished my paper, I will have nothing to do." *He rattled on, the mage seemed friendly enough. If he was a bit odd... it was the apparently harmless sort. He rustled his paper for a moment. Tearing out one page and casting the rest away.*

"I'll let you in on a little secret." Aeron said after a few long moments of silence, in fact he might have started walking in the direction Yenna was already heading to start the journey.* "We are completely safe. As I... am a Wizard! Don't let the sword fool you, I'm not very good with it."

"Well completely safe from. Say. Bandits with a sword. I wouldn't say we were safe from people who are possessed by spirits and demons, but we're safe from a good number of things. Yes. By the way, your mount is very nice. I don't suppose it talks? Not like one of those big flying dragons." *He shook his hooded head then and shrugged.*

"Lead the way?"

Winters-Feather

Yenna opened her mouth to speak, but decided to patiently let the man run out of breath.
"You already informed me," Yenna pointed out  with the kind grin she gave all her customers. In truth, her nerves were getting the better of her, and Aeron pointing out the existence of bandits was not helping. Still, she had to genuinely laugh when he asked about Khan.
"Goodness, no," Yenna replied as she flicked the reigns, telling Khan to pick up the pace.

Yenna rode silently, now and then glancing over to the, erm, wizard, that was following her. Under normal circumstances, she would engage in chit chat  and inquire more about his business. She knew he could talk the rest of the way, contently. Just when she found the energy to think up a  question, the earth began to shake. Subtly, at first, a soft vibration that grew and grew until there was a roar and shriek in the distance. 
"Gods protect us," Yenna groaned. Raised in the desert, she knew exactly what that sound meant.
"The sandworms shouldn't be migrating at this time of year!" she yelped. "Something must have caused them to rampage."

OOC: that's okay :P

Cronowind

"Sandworms?! Well thats no good." *Aeron would pause then, thinking. Not seeming to be all too nervous. He would flail his arms around a bit as the sandworms caused the earth to shake. He would look to the woman then before simply asking.* "Are the worms carnivorous? If so, I have to assume they hunt through vibrations in the ground?" *He would tilt his head then. He decided he would test out his theory. Somewhat curiously he would focus inward then.

Stability. Strength. Calmness filled his very core as he brought the rune for Earth into being in his mind. He did it again, and again, and again. Filling his talisman with five runes of earth. He sighed softly then and held up his hand and made a throwing motion. As if he had a ball and threw it as hard as he could. With a ripping sound the fabric of the air above Aerons head twisted and the runes took shape.

Five runes of earth took shape into a large, spiked boulder the size of his body. His throwing motion caused the boulder to fly through the air at incredible speeds, away from the duo. The way the woman had come. Granted, Yenna could see the man move his hands around in soft motions around an amulet, his talisman. If she jostled him or called out for him to stop, the boulder would pop out of existence the same way it had formed without flying through the air. But if she failed to stop him he would look to the woman then.*

"Because when that thing lands its going to make a hell of a thump behind us about, say. Fifty to seventy five yards away from us. Making them go for the thing that make the most vibrations."

"Or just making them angry. Oops."

Winters-Feather

Yenna shouted as she watched the rocks rise from the earth and hurl leagues into the distance. Her breathing grew heavy as she tried to regain control over her pounding heart. Khan screeched, alarmed, breathing out of his nose heavily and growled.  Yenna glared at the wizard, furious.
"Are you trying to kill them? Or us?" the small woman scolded. "That's only going to keep them angry longer! Did you even THINK-"

Before she could scold him any further, the ground began to shake violently and Yenna could hear a hurt and angry screech in the distance.
"You don't happen to have a spell that could help us outrun a herd of sand worms? Or something to make us fly higher than they can reach?" she asked, very skeptical.

Cronowind

*Aeron would suddenly take a jump back, taking a really bad and fake martial fighting stance. He looked kinda goofy actually. But then he'd slump. Looking to the other woman then before just throwing up his hands into the air.* "Hey look. I'm not a native here. Is killing these things a crime or not? And even if it -wasn't- a crime. I got some news for you."

"Normal worms don't have eyeballs. Which means they hunt via vibrations in the sand. Meaning that rock just landed -seventy yards- away from us. That is nearly an entire training field away. Now if we don't move. They'll all go to investigate the vibrations. And if they---"

*He'd stop talking then as the ground started to shake. He'd shrug then before looking to her.* "I hope that is a worm traveling under us. Either way... I have a way for -me- to get out of here. But not you. And I wont abandon you. So... You better start talking fast about how these things work. What I need to know:

What Element type do they hate the most?
Do they have eyes?
How rough is their skin?
Is killing them a crime? Cause I'm likely going to have to blow one up.
Also have I mentioned you're kind of a pretty lady.

He would say this all so... unconcernedly. As if they had plenty of time. So either he was completely confident in his abilities or...

He was completely insane and unafraid of death.

Winters-Feather

As they rode along, Yenna could only sit with a puzzled expression on her face as she tried to process everything the wizard was telling her. She blushed at the last question, though didn't quite know what to make at the "kind of."

"What? NO. Listen," she said sternly. "Do NOT mess with the sandworms! They don't have eyes, and their skin is very rough. Attacking them will just make them rampage and panic more! Though something must've happened to cause THIS one, but that's not our problem now. We must get out of their way!"

But HOW was the question. The ground underneath them began to shake much more violently. Yenna yelled as  she clung to her reigns.

Cronowind

(( I hope this post works out for you, if not send me a PM and we'll conspire ;)  ))

*Aeron would bring his hand to his chin, which caused it to vanish inside of his cowl. He would hum then, seeming a little curious.* "Why yes. Learning what caused the creatures to go into a state of panic would be needed in stopping them from doing what they are doing. You know, short of killing them.

"Okay from your description! I can formulate a way to confuse them, and to make them blind to our movements. At which point I suggest using the Aeron secret magical power! At which point he'd focus on his runes again. Focusing more on lightning. Water runes filled his mind and his hands would seemingly drip with moisture. before fusing it with an arcane rune. Then a lightning. He'd grit his teeth, this spell called for mixing water and lightning. Which always hurt. Yenna could see that Aeron suddenly had bolts of energy flying from the tips of his fingers and into his arms before he pointed upward.

A brilliant flash of energy would shoot up into the sky.

And nothing happened. What a letdown.

It was normally very hot and dry in Essyrn. Humid, it was a desert after all. It was likely very natural for Yenna. So when the bitter cool breeze cut through the hot air, she might find it a little odd. Then she'd see it. A puffy, white cloud was forming in the sky above. And Yenna could see it start to darken heavily in a matter of seconds as it expanded in size in the sky.

Aeron would take his sword and mutter a few words before the blade would 'grow' a coat of fine red fabric, and it would spring outwards into a red umbrella. He'd put it over his head then before smiling.

"We should get going. You see. Two things. Number one? Wet sand mutes the vibrations. Two, earth worms are driven by instinct to go towards the surface and drink from the water. And its going to be getting very wet here, very soon."

*With that Aeron started to scurry off. A more difficult spell, but one that might help. The dark, angry clouds would soon release their bounty of fresh water above the two for quite a large distance. The drumming of water drops hopefully masking their footsteps and driving the worms off course.*