Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Holding Your Horses

Started by Lion, April 04, 2014, 01:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Harmanaija blushed at her ignorance.
"Oh, he. Yes, yes he is." She said, smiling sheepishly as the kaadir owner went on to coo at her animal. Swiping a lock of dark hair from her face, she gave a nod at the question when it was presented to her.
"I work until sundown." Which, judging by the hour of the sun now- was a long ways off... and there was a lot of shit steaming in the heat of the afternoon that needed her attention. "If you wish, I could... I.. I Mean I could ask for an early leave to tend to this now and work through the night." And she dropped her gaze humbly. She at least hoped her employer would understand. Though she wasn't sure she'd still have her job after all was said and done.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Anran's eyes turned as hard as flint as he watched a squat balding man across the stables staring at all three of them and crossing his arms in front of his chest.  He was portly and with a splotched badly sunburned face.  "Well, if he doesn't understand, I'm sure I can give him a piece of my mind to make him do so.  It wasn't your fault after all," he said, glaring at the man.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Harmanaija gasped when she saw who Anran was glaring at.
"Oh, no! I don't want any trouble! Not for you! Not for him! I..." And here she grit her teeth, staring shamefully into the sandy grasses. "I'm just lucky to be employed." He had no idea how luck it took her to even be allowed to just apply for this job. The man only hired her because the last three men all stole from him. And now he was looking for number four...
"Please..." she said, raising her gaze to his, imploring him to turn the other cheek. Let his anger be directed elsewhere.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Eta looked from Anran to the woman, and her expression softened. She looked so panicked at the suggestion!

"Don't get fired on our account. That's ludicrous," she said, and shot Anran a warning look, a 'don't make a scene' look. "Finish your shift. Besides, it's not that important." She gave a little shrug. "I was only agreeing to that so you'd feel better about accepting the help, but really...I work with kaadir. I've cleaned shit all my life."

Sunshine was starting to grow antsy from standing in one place so long, tossing his head and making grunting sounds. Eta stroked his neck to soothe him, but shared his sentiments--she really, really wanted to change clothes, ugh.

"Tell you what. This whole thing was, I suppose, sort of my fault." She shot Anran a sheepish look; it was true, if she'd been quicker to get her kaadir's waste cleaned, he wouldn't have fallen in it, and the cart wouldn't have broken. "How about you finish your work, you--" She pointed to Anran. "--clean yourself, and I treat everyone to a stiff drink sometime tonight, because Hakeshna knows, we all need it. Does that work?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

What she wouldn't do for a drink right now.
"Are you sure you can both wait?" She inquired, wringing her hands nervously as she peered around.

Lion

Anran cut his eyes between the pair of them and then back to the portly owner that began to stare at all of them intently.  "Ah," he sighed, stepping back.  "I suppose there are worse things than a smelly old shirt.  I'm not sure I even want it back."

He shrugged and plucked it from the ground before moving back to the stable hands that had managed to get the wild horse under control.  "Russaf, go find a hole to put that in and keep the exchange," he said, slipping the boy a coin and he ran off with it, though not without making a face.

"I will go make due on that promise, and it was a smelly pleasure to make either of your acquaintances," Anran said with an awkward laugh and bowed before heading back to the nearest bathhouse.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

THE LLAMA'S LEMONS

It was an... odd place to be, that was for sure, but one of the best known places around these parts to get a drink. Though Harmanaija never frequented these sorts of establishments, it did not mean she had never heard of them. And oh, Hakeshna, the day had been a long and trying one! After all of the shit was shoveled and done with, she made her own way to a bath house, scrubbing herself down thoroughly before going home and slipping into a simple dress. Then fussing over her hair more than she ought to have, she just let it settle back over her face, ensuring the mark was as covered as she could get it before making her way over to and then into the LLama's Lemon.

A famous lemon drink mixed with a foreign liquor was all the rage here, and is what gave this unique place it's name. The Llama sculptures adorning the inside explained the other half, as Harmanaija timidly stepped into the place and peeked around, hoping to find any signs of either Anran or Miss Eta.

Lion

"i thought I was the only one that was going to show up," Anran said as he spotted Harmanaija enter into the tavern proper.  There was lively conversation and a music playing  out by the small stage.  Men drank and laughed, downing the house specialy, "Bomba Llama", or so the firewhiskey and lemon drink was called.  Anran didn't sample any for himself, but then again, he too had only just arrived.

"Come I've got a table over here," he said, smiling and heading back to the table.  "Don't worry, nobody will pay much attention to you here.  The beer is good, and they're focused more on getting to the next one.  You look nice, by the way."  Anran smiled and helped her into her seat.

For himself he'd ordered a beer, a plate of fried potato slices, but he'd yet to touch any of it.  He hadn't seen Eta yet, but he supposed a bite to eat wouldn't hurt.  He was imply dress, in a loose, embroidered tunic and cotton trousers and he'd gotten out of those smelly clothes long ago.  Still...he wondered if he still stunk.  Hakeshna, he hoped not!

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Harmanaija gasped at the voice and whirled around.
"Mister Haiden!" A hand went to her chest. "You scared me!"
When he mentioned a table, she gave a brief nod, dark turquoise hair moving just slightly to reveal more of the 'A' scarred onto her face, which, she grew more self conscious of the moment Anran brought it up. She dropped her gaze, but at his compliment, her cheeks lightly flushed as she peered up curiously at him and was rigid when he helped her into her seat. It had been ages since anyone had treated her that way, or rather, had not passed such easy judgement due to her mark. Most presumed the worst, as her husband had. But at times, she felt proud for her mark- but after all she had been through....
She almost wished she had never been such a fool. But at least now she was free.

After being quiet for a while after such comments, she peered over at Anran a moment and gave a nod.
"I've never been here. Are there any good drinks at this place?" She wasn't quite found of most alcohols. Wines and beers were never her thing, but she did hear good things about certain mixed drinks they served here. Whatever that was.

But the place was thriving, the noise almost unbearable as everyone around them seemed to be having a good time. The laughter startled her the most as she peered over her shoulder at a nearby table, mostly full of men who were enjoying themselves while exchanging stories. This made Harmanaija frown as she turned around.

"You know I really am sorry what happened today. I.. I know it's been said enough but, I suppose it was just embarrassing for us all." And idly, she rubbed at the bruises on her arm. she was lucky that was all she received and hadn't gotten fired. But she had a hunch that employer liked to watch her suffer, or pretend she was any other woman but a marked one.
"I'm prepared to pay for your bath if necessary."
She knew the bath houses were expensive.

Lion

Anran put his hands up, shaking them off.  "Not at all!  Please.  I...I have more than enough, er, resources to take care of such a small matter.  Really, it is just a tunic, and a coat, and a three-hour bath with proper bathing oils and salts.  Kaadir...mess is a lot harder to get out than I anticipated, but I hope I got everything."

Then suddenly he blushed and his eyes grew wide.  "Why?  Did I not get everything, do I smell really bad still?" he asked in earnest.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Harmanaija's eyes went wide.
"No, I don't think so. Though I'm not the best person to ask. I work with ... That all day. If anything, I'm sure I still reek a little of the stables," she admitted with a blush and dropped gaze. "Working in that sort of.. profession isn't the most luxurious of jobs but," she said with a sigh. "It pays the bills."

Rhindeer

Eta was late, and she wanted to kick herself for it. But she had work to finish up, for her dalliance at the stables had cost her some time. That, and a few unexpected things had come up that needed to be dealt with--one kaadir had stepped on a nail, and that was never fun to handle. By the time she finished, she was exhausted, but she still needed to get cleaned up before she could go anywhere public, and that had taken an extra hour. Kaadir shit was not fun to clean off clothes, not to mention the muck she'd gotten all over her.

She'd rushed out the door with her thick hair still wet, and dabbed on some perfume to be double sure she didn't smell like a hard day's work. And then she was off, bustling down the road and hoping she wouldn't be that one idiot that showed up after everyone had already left. Or maybe they hadn't come at all. Or maybe they thought she'd stood them up. Ughhh!

Entering the Llama's Lemons (a name that made her snicker in her head like a 12-year-old boy), Eta looked around awkwardly, feeling a little lame. She wasn't too late--five or ten minutes, maybe?--but she was already deciding on a back-up plan if no one showed. If no one showed, she'd stay anyway so she didn't look like too big of a loser.

But then she heard familiar voices, and caught sight of the two already at a table.

Relief washed through her, and her expression brightened. Thank Hakeshna she hadn't mucked this up entirely.

Heading over to the table, Eta gave a little wave. She looked a little different with her hair worn down and out of its loose ponytail, and dressed in a vibrant-colored, and nearly sheer, robe. It was clear from the fabric that she came from money, though she wore no jewellery but the kaadir-claw necklace and several pairs of earrings. "Hey, sorry I'm so late," she said. "Had a little trouble back home."

And then, standing back and looking them both over, her lips quirked into a small smile. Her eyes lingered longer than they should have on the woman, though--particularly, her scar--but she looked away when she realized that was rude. "You both clean up nice. Mind if I...?"

She motioned to a seat next to Harmanaija.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Harmanaija found her own self staring at Eta, though for completely different reasons. The woman was not ugly by any means, but she hadn't considered to think of her aesthetics until she showed up, well groomed and dressed. And it made her feel more self conscious. Eta was a beautiful woman, so when the woman finally asked about having a seat, Harmanaija suddenly dropped her gaze, cheeks turning pink as she nodded.

"Y-yes, by all means!" she said a bit more enthusiastically than intended. "We were just talking about shit." She said, and gave a helpless shrug. "So, you really haven't missed much." And she moved her hand to lightly rake through her hair, exposing more of the mark on her face before her dark hair sifted through her fingers and recovered it again.

But what suddenly caught her nose was something else. Not something repulsive but sweet. It was perfume,a nd it made Harmanaija realize she was dealing with two people of money. By Hakeshna's name, how did she end up here?

Lion

Anran laughed sheepishly.  "Well, the removal of shit to be more precise.  But enough unpleasant talk," he said and grinned ear to ear.  "I believe you promised cold beer, Eta."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"I'm so thirsty I could drink twenty beers," Harmanaija sighed but then realizing what she said, she gestured with a wave of both of her hands. "Not that you have to buy them all! I've brought my own money to purchase my own drinks. Not that I could drink that much but... It was just a figure of speech." Ugh. She felt so out of place, perhaps twenty beers would do her a world of good.

Rhindeer

"If you could drink twenty beers, I think I would pay just to see it," Eta said, lips quirking and eyes crinkling with amusement. She waved a hand, attracting a veiled young man.

Many of the servers here were slaves; it didn't even occur to Eta how awkward that might be for Anran.

"In fact, I reckon by the time you'd downed twenty drinks, I'd be too drunk myself to even care about the bill. Ah, a round of cold beer for my friends, and anything else they'd like tonight. I'll be paying," she said, addressing the slave with that last part. With a bow, he scurried off to fetch their drinks, and Eta returned her attention to her new companions.

"I hope neither of you have anything important to tend to in the morning?"

visualspice

"Important? Unless you count shoveling animal dung important, then no, I can't say that I have." With a sigh, she tried to shake off the thought. No need to dampen the mood because she had an unglorified life. "What about you two? Do you have any interesting plans for the week?"

Rhindeer

Eta snorted at that and waved a hand. "Sounds a lot like what my morning will be," she said. Raising kaadir was not as glamorous as some might think. "And my week, for that matter. Ah, I'm not sure how interesting this is to people not in the business, but I'm meeting with a prospective buyer who was interested in Sunshine. And sometime in the next few days, we're expecting eggs. Sunshine's mama got knocked up again, and it's any day now!"

visualspice

"Oh, eggs?" Harmanaija perked up. "How many can a kaadir lay?"

Rhindeer

"That depends!" Eta said, brightening at Harmanaija's interest. She sat up straighter and leaned an elbow on the table so she could look at her. "Sometimes only one or two, but I've had kaadir lay up to five! That poor thing was so bloated by the end, it couldn't have been comfortable! The babies are so adorable, though..."