Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hide in the shadows, or bask in uncertainty.

Started by IcarusDescension, December 08, 2014, 06:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahnnie

"Yeah, and I'm queen of the Niafi. You and your bucket head hurt my back!"

Temujin felt absolutely rotten. Sure, this woman was coming off as quite the irritable person, but that must've been because she was pregnant. And Temujin sure knew how pregnant woman could change moods! He knew because he'd seen his mother in action before, when she was bearing his two younger siblings. First she was sweet as sugar, the next she was a raging tigress. And her usual personality was a balance in between. Ah, his mother...how he missed her. Seeing this pregnant dark skinned woman reminded him of her somewhat, although it had been ages since he'd seen her pregnant. In fact, the last time she was pregnant was the last time she was ever alive.

He let out a sigh. At least she wasn't a part of the tribe casualty when that...that tragedy happened. At least she gave up her spirit way before then, mercifully spared. The charred bodies, the smoking tents, the razed ground, the unanswered questions...it was just not the right way to go. Not for anyone. His eyes must have seemed distant in that moment if Mae'leena cared to look, but he came back in time and saw her hiding the bump with her jacket and shooting daggers at him with her angry eyes.

"I'm really sorry," Temujin apologized again. "If there's anything I can do to help..."

But he was interrupted by the presence of the two thugs from the stables accompanied by that well-dressed hawk nosed man in the inn earlier. They largely ignored him and the woman, heading for the door to a dark building Temujin hadn't placed much importance on. In fact, it was only now he was realizing that he wasn't as close to the stables or the inn as he had been moments before. He supposed that during his little adventure with the bucket, he must've stumbled towards this area. He withdrew his bow, in case anything happened.

"Go while they're not paying attention," he quietly advised the pregnant woman. "I know those two men with him. They were causing trouble earlier. It's not safe." He stood protectively in front of Mae'leena to cover her and allow her to flee the scene. Whether he would follow was debatable, for while she was a pregnant woman, he also wanted answers about why he was treated so roughly by those two henchmen.

Before the hawk nosed man could open the door, the door was opened for him. For a brief moment, Temujin recognized the face of the person who opened the door. "You!" he simply shouted, his mind racing with indignation as he remembered the young man who threw that bucket on his head.

The door was quickly closed and the two henchmen rushed forward trying to force it open. Whoever was inside must have locked it in time or threw something against it, for it was not giving way immediately. Judging from the looks of it though, if all three men put their manpower to it, they could bust it down in due time.

The hawk nosed man did not join the fray just yet and turned his head coolly towards Temujin. "And who might you be?" he asked.

Temujin took a brazen step forward and pointed accusingly at him. "Your men attacked me in the stables, taking advantage of me when a bucket was covering my head." He saw one of the men pause to look back at him, but then he was preoccupied once more in trying to get the door down. "I also have a quarrel with one of the people I'm presuming you're hunting, for putting that very bucket on my head. But you seem more suspicious than ever at this moment, coming out here in the dark to force open a door! I take it you're not the authorities of this village? Otherwise, you would have called upon them to do this for you."

The hawk nosed man smiled coldly. "Hmm. This could be a problem."

visualspice

"Well, considering that woman stole my sleeves, literally, no?" But he gave a shrug. "But I've always thought windows made good exit. Come on, let's just throw on some of these clothes and dash outta one." And in the chaos of the moment, The Gambler didn't realized he had accidentally snatched up a woman's dress, so as he gestured for Liri to, "Come on!" He almost stumbled over his own two feet as he held out the dress.

"What? Oh, come on! I thought I grabbed the men's suit!" How was he supposed to look dashing in this? It was PINK!
Well, dark pinkish red- But still!
That color looked TERRIBLE on him.

But that's when one of the laundry house women stepped out before them. She was as wide as the doorway she blocked and looked as mean as a boar.

"Clothes you stole, give back now!" came her foreign tongue with the snapping force of a whip.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ethereal-Star

Amongst the streets of the small village, many people milled about, most of them commoners or farmers with some craftsmen mixed in. None of them really stood out from the bunch, well except for one that is, but only if one were really paying attention. A heavily cloaked figure made her way through the cobbled streets of this unremarkable settlement, long gray hooded cloak obscuring her hair and part of her features. She was careful to blend in because her kind were not welcomed here, especially not during a time of civil war amidst the nation. Connloath, a kingdom of pride and industry, openly made their distaste and prejudice towards those of the magic-wielding type well-known amongst everyone whether they lived in the country itself or not. And to top it off, she wasn't exactly human either.

Obsidian walked carefully through the streets looking for an inn to stop at, to rest and get some much needed food. Trail rations only did so much, even journey bread which was more wholesome and filling than one's average dried fruits and nuts, had its limits. Besides she had fresh run out of journey bread, having eaten the last of it on her way here. While she didn't particularly eat much meat, a little at this time wouldn't hurt plus some soup if she could get it.

With that thought in mind the moon elf continued onwards until she found such a place to stop at. "Traveler's Respite," the dilapidated sign read, standing at a tilt from the ground. It was far from luxurious but any rate, luxury did not matter at that moment. It was warm and dry and a place where she could get some much-needed rest and a hot meal. Granted, most elves technically did not need to sleep, although that's not to say they didn't rest, entering a light meditative state where they could recharge their energies. In some cases, sleep would be required but not as often as humans needed to. Regardless, Obsidian felt the toll on her travels weigh heavily upon her as well as the reason why she was here to begin with.

After all she was not here for some mere visit especially not in this nation, not with the war going on in many parts of it. Her guild, The Elementalists' Guild had tasked her with finding out whatever she could about a very rare and powerful object. This object was said to take different forms depending on whom ever guarded it, although it is thought its current form was now that of a small medallion. The object itself, despite how its many 'variations' or physical appearance may differ, its magical essence remained unchanged-and therefore the powers it harbored within.

Supposedly the medallion contained great elemental power of an astronomical amount, able to lay waste to kingdoms and cities alike but at great cost to the wielder. For it was said the object was cursed, slowly able to erode a person's sanity over time the longer they remained in contact with it, rendering them mad eventually. The artifact's powers were also quite chaotic as such, therefore having the effect of wearing away at favorable probability, in other words, one's general luck in life. Naturally such an object was extremely dangerous as well as valuable and there was no telling what sort of chaos and mayhem could erupt from its usage.

The lunar mage had been given explicit instructions to find out what she could about its location, who currently owned it, what they planned to do with it and anything else of value to find out. However, touching it was not advised and she was to keep her distance from it as much as she could. As if this weren't difficult enough, Obsidian had to maintain a low profile while in Connloath as a whole to avoid interrogation or capture from Connloathian officials. Her staff, book and mage attire had to be left behind in favor of nondescript garments to don instead, a worn leather outfit and a gray cloak with a hood complete with black leather boots.

The moon elf stepped inside the inn and nodded her head at the innkeeper, a burly man whom she could tell right away was in this business for the money. The greedy gleam in his eyes as he spotted yet another customer revealed all to the lunar mage. "One room please and a meal as well." she got out her coin purse and paid the innkeeper who readily accepted the coins quickly, his hands fast grabbing all the money in one fell swoop, depositing them behind the counter where all the money was kept. The man nodded his head at her jovially, apparently only caring that she had the money to pay and nothing more.

As Obsidian seated herself at an empty table, something caught her attention. It was subtle at first, but there nonetheless. A faint trace of magic, its residual residue lingering in the dim of the common room where she sat. The feeling alarmed her as she could sense the destructive power behind it as well as the scent of chaos left behind by whatever had left its mark here. The object had been here there was no doubt about it, but not anymore. Otherwise the energy would be much much stronger. The residual amount that Obsidian could discern seemed to lead out the door from which she had just came in, but had not noticed at first. However, the trace was even fainter there, barely noticeable unless one really was paying close attention.

She turned her head back to the initial place where she had first noticed the magic. There was nothing out of the ordinary there, except for what she could sense. Whoever had the object was now gone, but they couldn't have been gone for too long at any rate. But none of that mattered at the moment, she needed a place to stay and she could continue her search tomorrow with this new found knowledge. Obsidian was too tired to do much of anything else now. Her food was soon brought to her and she dug in, enjoying the warmth and wholesome taste of everything.

After Obsidian finished her meal, she was given a key to one of the rooms upstairs, two doors down the hall from her right she was told. Making her way there the moon elf soon settled in for the day, the shadows of late afternoon cascading across the floor with the promise of evening to come. Her last thoughts before she laid down in the comfy bed there were, I hope I am not too late.

IcarusDescension

Liri was already moving toward the window he had indicated, then almost collided with him when he stumbled over the dress. She was at first annoyed, then she noticed what he was holding. It was a beautiful rose dress complete with decorative purple embroidery. She almost remarked 'Good choice!' but caught herself. "Wait," she said, "why did you-"

He seemed to notice it at the same time, commenting on his mistake, but no sooner had he done so than a woman came through the door demanding in her strange accent that they return the clothes.

Frustration and stress finally boiled over the surface, and Liri found herself slapping the dress-holding man in the shoulder. -Not a very manly gesture but she was beyond noticing. "Sure glad you've got my back the next time we're dress shopping, but our situation doesn't seem to be improving!" she remarked, surprising herself with her outburst.

The boar started across the room towards them, rolling up her sleeves as she did so.

Ahnnie

((Hope you guys don't mind liberties I'm taking with Hawk Nose and his henchmen? Tell me if it bothers you and I can edit.))

-------

"Hmm. This could be a problem."

Temujin smirked. "Indeed, I'll make it well worth a problem for you. You've crossed me and humiliated me...now, who wouldn't be angry?"

"What do you want then?" Hawk Nose asked him. "An apology? Compensation?"

"Answers! What is it you're doing out here and night--and why is that young man so important to you, that you're willing to attack even innocent bystanders?"

One of the henchmen looked up from the door and remarked, "I don't recall you being so innocent--you had a notched bow!"

"Have you not heard of self-defense?"

While they bickered, Hawk Nose was silently thinking to himself, his cold eyes flitting from the door to Temujin and back again. He spoke at last, giving them a sharp order: "We don't have time to waste with this...this savage fool! He doesn't appear to know anything. Get rid of him and focus on breaking down that door."

"But, his bow--"

"Then find some way!" Hawk Nose barked. "What's inside is far more important!"

They then both left the door and looked about for a way to "get rid" of Temujin. One guy picked up a stone and threw it roughly, aiming for the nomad. He swerved out of the way to dodge it but it scored a strike on the side of his stomach. He angrily notched an arrow, drew it back, and let it loose in their general direction; not exactly aiming for them, but timing it so that it was near them. The arrow sang through and struck the door they tried to break down. The henchmen jumped out of the way out of instinct, and Temujin rushed forward to barrel the door with his shoulder. A foolhardy move, perhaps...but it was "all or nothing" at this point to the confused nomad.

The door broke open under his force, although not all the way. It was mostly bent inwards from the top, the bottom still intact, vase-shaped. Funnily enough Temujin's head and shoulders stuck through the opening while his legs and bottom were exposed to the outside air. Squirming forward on his elbows, he dropped into the laundry house and spotted his trickster and bucket assailant trying to escape through a window.

"There you are!" he exclaimed, pointing at them. "You've got a lot of ner--"

But he was cut off as he noticed a large and angry woman rushing at them--or more accurately, at him--from a door on the other side in a boar-like fashion. Temujin felt so exasperated with these sudden obstacles that kept coming his way. First the bucket--now a boar!

visualspice

The 'trickster' only stared, and stared for quite a long while with his mouth gaping open before he gave a laugh. He laughed so hard, it was hurting his belly, and tossing the dress to Liri, he told him, "Here, you can have this. Now let's get the hell out of here before I die of laughter!" And without a second thought, he snatched Liri's wrist and dragged him towards a window which, obviously wasn't open- and of course, when he tried to shove it up to open it- it was stuck!

Still laughing, he brushed some of his tears from his eyes and turned to Liri.
"Okay, we gotta get out this window. Hand me that bucket of Lye. I'm gonna bust it open!"

--------

And he wasn't the only one fancying on using a bucket. Mae'leena, who was about to oblige bucket head in departing from the scene entirely, found herself hit by one of the rocks too. Oh that was it! It was not hard to anger a Saranthian woman (and she was already upset to begin with!) and muttering angerily in her native tongue,s he hefted up the bucket that had once been on Temujin's head and threw it- hard- directly at one of the henchmen's face.

"HOW DARE YOU HIT A LADY WHO'S PREGNANT!" she snapped. "That rock fucking hurt!" And she picked one up herself and threw it at the men, who were surprised when they were attacked by a woman so heavily pregnant and not very 'sweet' with her tongue.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ethereal-Star

((OOC: Let me know if this is okay or if I need to edit something.))

Meanwhile, in the Traveler's Respite Inn...

Obsidian was dreaming, involved in a mysterious, prophetic dream of sorts. She found herself in a large cavern, the very air around her seemed quite ancient. Her gaze was soon drawn to a large stone tower, while narrow at its base, it was still an impressive sight to behold. The moon elf propelled the dream forward and began walking towards this tower at a rapid pace. In the dream she was still wearing her traveler's garb, but she paid no mind to that fact and continued onward. There was an opening at the bottom that looked suspiciously like some kind of doorway.

So she entered to find herself in a room with a long wooden table, an interesting glass sculpture on it and...a seemingly plain wooden cup at the head of the table. But Obsidian was not fooled, this was no ordinary cup she knew. The destructive energies present in the object could be felt quite palpably from here, its power immense.

A movement from the corner of her eye caught her attention then. She turned to look and gasped. A strange ragged man slowly got up from the floor, his neck bent at a most awkward, uncomfortable angle. The expression on his face spoke of madness and other things Obsidian could not discern. He spoke in a smooth deep voice as though his neck being broken were no obstacle to him and said, "In this place I may be dead, but the artifact I hid in a time he think not to tread! The one who carries it now, looks like a boy does she, but is not. In a house of soap, will you find the object you seek, but quick! You must hurry for they are on the run, from an enemy whose motives to shun."

Obsidian could only stare in confusion at this strange man and his even stranger words. The man continued on his mad rampage, "Ah, my time is up, for I must depart! Look not for a cup, you will find it not but an amulet of such!" And with that he promptly collapsed back to the floor as though he were never speaking to the moon elf at all.

Obsidian stared for quite awhile, very puzzled as to what just occurred. She figured his words were a message of sorts, to tell her where to find the object the guild sought. Obsidian shook her head briefly and turned back to the table where the cup sat. Or where it used to sit. She supposed it made sense that it wasn't there, based on what the man had said. She also wondered about who the man was referring to in the beginning of his speech, this "he" fellow. Looking around once more, Obsidian realized there was nothing else here of note. It was time to move on.

Focusing on the dream itself, Obsidian propelled herself through the misty gray wastes of the dreamworld until she came to her next destination. Or rather tried to. It seemed whatever was here wouldn't allow her to come through and so she was left in the gray void of nothing for what seemed like forever but could only have been a few moments. Realizing there was naught else for her to do, Obsidian slowly reached through the fabric of the dreamworld, intent on waking up.

She soon awoke in her bed in one of the rooms of the inn. The morning was slowly approaching but still semi-dark out. Obsidian sighed at what she had learned from her dream voyage. It seemed that there was a great deal more to discover than was initially thought. For example, who was this man with the broken neck? Why was his neck broken? Who was the not-boy he was talking about? What did he mean by house of soap? The moon elf pondered on these questions some more before getting ready for the day ahead. It seemed like it would be yet another long day for her and Obsidian needed to be prepared for whatever she might face.

IcarusDescension

Liri watched dumbfounded -still stupidly holding the dress- as the Gambler laughed hysterically. She wasn't sure if was at her or the fact that an all-to-familiar headband-wearing man had just barreled through the top half of the door. It should have surprised her. She should have jumped, startled out of her wits by the crashing sound for yet another time that night. However her nerves just seemed to have reached overload. Perhaps it was just the sheer number of random and unexpected things that happened, or the fact that she hadn't been able to catch a break since finding that blasted medallion and the stress was finally getting to her, but she only watched as the man crawled over the remains of the door and said with resignation "Well, why not."

In perhaps the only good piece of luck she could recall having recently the boar-woman noticed the door being smashed to pieces and immediately lost interest in her and the Gamber's escape and changed course to intercept the new arrival – her nostrils flaring in rage.

Liri took a step back, subconsciously reaching into her pocket to grip the medallion. I wish I'd never seen you -stupid piece of metal. I should throw you away right now, let those fool thugs have you.

"Blaming jewelry for your problems now are we?"

The sudden voice from over her right shoulder made her jump for all that the smashing door had not. She spun around to face its owner and immediately froze, the blood draining from her face as terror locked her limbs in a death-grip.

It had been many years since she had seen a man known to her only as 'Father Ko.' He had been the reason she had run away from her home as a young teenager and never returned. In spite of all the years inbetween then and now she had never lost the memory of his eyes -burning coals of hatred for all of 'her kind.' She would be years older before coming to understand that he was a Mordecai, and one with an unusual loathing of all magic-users (one of which he had taken her to be.) She had never worried that he was pursuing her. He was an old man even then and it seemed unlikely – yet there before her he stood. Her mouth was suddenly dry and she felt transformed into that terrified young girl once more, incapable of understanding why this man she had never met hated her so.

"You know the truth: This is all your fault you foolish little girl. You'll be lucky if this man doesn't get himself killed trying to save you and why? He doesn't owe your filthy kind anything... You deserted your parents, you couldn't save the man who was like a father to you, and now you're going to get a good man killed. You filthy wretch. I'll get to see you burn yet..." Ko continued ranting, taking one slow and menacing step after another towards her.

Finally she got her left arm to move, lifting it shakily up to grab the Gambler by the shoulder. "Hey," she said turning to meet his eyes, "do you see-" But she didn't finish that sentence. For she had turned back to look at Ko. Except there was no Ko. No one was there at all, just empty floor.

IcarusDescension

Meanwhile the hawk-nosed man was pulling himself off the ground, a conspicuously bucket-shaped bruise covering most of his face. "Blast it all!" he swore. "You-" he pointed at one of the suits, "do something about that woman! You-" he pointed at the other one, who was currently in the process of falling all over himself, nursing his head where a rock had just come smashing into it. "-Never mind. I'll do it myself." With that he immediately grabbed a splinter from what was left of the door, then some flint from his coat pocket and set about lighting it. "No one makes a fool of me!"

IcarusDescension

Across the village's humble cobbled road from the laundry there sat a squat structure that had, in better times, been an eating establishment of some kind. Now it sat abandoned, its old sign now unreadable but still swinging from the frame of the deck. It creaked faintly in a subtle breeze – a sound barely heard over the sounds of the commotion underway across the road. Who knows what had become of its owners, perhaps bad times had come upon them, perhaps like many they had fled in fear that the war would pay a visit to even this remote hobble. Either way the building sat now watching the slow passage of time alone and untended. At least, except for that night.

On that night someone sat quietly on the aged bench under the shelter of its deck. Dressed in a concealing traveler's cloak, little of his figure could be discerned. The figure's legs were dressed in traveled but sturdy dark trews, ending in equally used leather boots. No face was visible from beneath the shadows of the cloak's hood, only a simple wooden pipe protruded. Occasionally a slight puff of smoke from its end spoke of some alertness from its owner. That, and the hood's unwavering attention on the events in and around the laundry...

visualspice

The Gambler turned around, first looking at the boy, then over at the door where it appeared that the boarish woman was on a rampage, and well- she was taking out her rage full force on one of the men who dared tried to get inside- hitting him smack on the head multiple times with a broom.
To see such a sight, The Gambler laughed.

"Can this day get any better or what?" he jested, then gestured back to Liri. "Now come on," he said between laughs. "Get me that bucket. Unless you want to see me herorically kick the window open." WHich would be an awkward feat in itself. but without his jacket- well- perhaps he could try?
Backing up, he readied himself, grinning much like a playful wolf.

"Alright... here goes nothing!"
And as he kicked- rather hard, at the window, it didn't budge but suddenly he was howling.
"Ugh! My foot!" And down he went, nursing onto it as he wheezed in pain. Great, there went his thoughts that he was lucky- but just as he was inwardly cursing himself for perhaps NOT being a mage, the window cracked, and the cracked hissed into a line across the frame. This perked him up as he stood up, and limpingly jumped in victory.

"Alright!" And then taking the lye bucket up himself, he whacked the window a second time and it shattered- leaving a large, open space that they could finally escape from. With a polite gesture, he bowed to the boy and said, "After you, good sir!"

----

To see the man turn to challenge her made Mae'leena snort.
"Fool? Nobody can make you a fool when you were born one, love." And she waited no time in throwing whatever she could on the floor at the man- an old boot, pieces of a broken pot- more stones- anything to keep him back. If they thought the boar-woman was raging- she had nothing on Mae'leena.

"Stand down or I'll do more than just throw rocks at your stupid heads!" Mae'leena demanded. Though it was very unlike her to fight so directly, she was pissed!
Nobody messed with her normally, and now in her condition-
Nobody would mess with her.. PERIOD.

IcarusDescension

Liri turned to her left to where the Gambler had moved free of her hand and noticed him on the floor howling over his foot. The window before him was cracked if not shattered.

Relief washed over her as she realized he had apparently not noticed her moment of -she didn't want to use the word insanity but regretfully it seemed to fit. Was she really losing her mind?

She shook her head to banish such dark thoughts and turned her attention to the window, suddenly wanting more than ever to get out of there. Now where was that bucket? She couldn't see it any more.

"Excuse me?"

Liri almost jumped, fearing another visit from a demon from her past, but she didn't recognize the voice's owner this time. He was an older gentleman and dressed the part, complete with an expensive looking suit and solid looking wooden cane with a lion's head carved on its end.

He looked around at the commotion in the room, then apparently not knowing what to make of it continued as if he hadn't noticed. "I don't mean to interrupt but is my other suit ready?"

"Err," Liri fudged, "not just yet... Do you mind if I borrow that?" Without waiting for a reply she grabbed the man's cane and ran towards the window, smashing the lion's head into it with all her might. As it was already cracked the window began to give way one piece at a time. Soon she had an opening a human could fit through, although the edges of sharp glass made her nervous. She swept them away with the cane as best as she could before walking back over to the older gentleman and handing it back to him. "Umm, thanks."

The man stared at his ruined cane, his face white.

Without another word to the man Liri made for the window, grabbing up her procured cloak from where she had dropped it. "I couldn't find the bucket," she said as she somewhat awkwardly climbed up into the window sill. An errant piece of glass bit deeply into her hand and she muffled a curse, losing her balance and falling forward out the empty window.

Meanwhile the hawk-nose man was still fumbling with his flint under the woman's barrage. "Curse it all!" He cried in frustration. "Can't you handle one-" He stopped as the suit he was addressing stumbled backward, donning a newly acquired boot over his head. An animal growl escaped his lips, followed by an exclamation of victory as the piece of wood he had been holding finally caught flame. No sooner had he elated in his victory however than a stone nearly missed clubbing him in the head and hit the wood instead, sending it flying into the laundry house.

IcarusDescension

Back at the Respite a plump lady in plain skirts and vest was making her way from room to room on her morning errand of cleaning dirty and vacant rooms. She stopped outside an occupied room at the sudden sound of footsteps from behind her. "Late again." She stated without emotion.

Another woman dressed just as plainly -and as thin as the first woman was plump- scurried up to her. "I wouldn't have been late this morning honest, Carla, but there's some commotion goin' on like you wouldn't believe down by the laundry!"

Carla scoffed. "You always have some excuse. Nothin' ever happens in this nowhere little berg you know that." She occupied herself brushing something off of her skirts, then sniffed. "What's this supposed commotion of yours this time anyway?"

"It's true!" The twig of a woman replied. "I saw it myself. There's these scary men trying to break into the back of the place, sounds of crashing an' all sorts of things, and this crazy woman out there just luggin' things at the men for all she's worth!"

The plump woman sighed back. "Yeah, and two Mordecai came after riding a flaming Dragon. Just get your things we've got a lot of work to do. -And stop chattering so loud you'll wake the whole floor."

Contrarily the skinny woman did not 'get her things,' instead continuing to protest her honesty all the way down the hallway...

visualspice

What went from an oh so glorious escape (kind of), soon turned into an 'oh crap, the laundry house is on fire!' Because sure enough, as The Gambler was trying to urge Liri to run a little faster, he heard a scream and saw smoke pouring out of the laundry house.

"Holy shit!" And despite the situation becoming far more than he had bargained for, he wore a crooked smile across his lips. He then turned to Liri. "Find some place safe. I'm going to go help put out a fire!" And as he rolled back his sleeves, he dashed back down the alley and hopped back inside the now flaming laundry house through the broken window.

Ethereal-Star

After her night at the inn where she had had the prophetic dream, for she was sure it meant something important, Obsidian was now on her way out the inn door and down the streets of the small village, cloak obscuring her features once more.

As she walked down the cobbled path, she wondered for a brief second on what her next course of action should be, but that thought quickly evaporated when she smelled smoke somewhere nearby. Quickly becoming alarmed, the moon elf made her way to where she smelled the smoke.

Passing by an old abandoned building that had obviously seen better days, she noticed a figure sitting calmly, watching the proceedings across the street where the fire was, with interest as though nothing troublesome was going on. Obsidian stopped walking for a second and regarded the person, whoever it was trying to get a good look at his face. It was covered by shadow but she could make out some of the features. However she didn't have time to ponder long on this as the building across the road was on fire, the occupants inside likely needed help!

So the mage forgot momentarily the mysterious person and rushed over quickly to find some way she could be of assistance. Spotting a couple buckets of water nearby a broken window with a bar of soap lying next to them on a small low table, she hurriedly went over and hefted one of the heavy buckets and threw it at the flaming walls of the building, trying to put out the fire as best she could.

Coughing a bit on the smoke, she turned to grab the other bucket when she heard heavy booted footsteps behind her with a voice speaking in a deep baritone voice. She whirled around to face the newcomer. It was at that second, Obsidian also realized the hood of her cape had fallen down revealing her face, hair and ears. It must have fallen down while she was trying to help with the bucket of water. The building was still blazing with fire and smoke, screams could still be heard within. The man's gaze bore into her own dark eyes, with him obviously thinking of what to do next.

((Tags Icarus here with Hawk Nose Man. I'll leave it to you to control him as I'm not quite sure how to at this point. Also, since Obsidian is an elf with enhanced senses, she should be able to see the mystery man's face from across the road, under the hood of his cloak when she passed by him/her.))

Ahnnie

((I'm just going to write what happens after the whole boar-woman/laundry house burning fiasco to get to the point. We'll assume the boar woman hit Temujin repeatedly with the broom and he managed to get her to stop--gently but firmly--and made his way out from the other side. Cue Liri's gentleman's entrance, after which his cane is ruined. And then present matters!))

After Temujin escaped from the laundry house, he made a roundabout way back to the inn, most particularly the stables. He couldn't stand this anymore. Too many things were happening to him in this blasted village to even assume that it was safe, or stable to rest in. The Common authorities might be on them at any moment, too...Ugh, he didn't even want to think about it. And then...wait...was that smoke he smelled? He turned around and saw from the building a column of smoke and the beginnings of a large flame.

He hurriedly went into the stables and found his gray dapple stallion in the stall he last left it. He hurriedly saddled it, checking only briefly to make sure everything was still there, before mounting and literally bursting out of the stable doors without so much as a second thought. He was DONE with this village. He didn't care that he lost money to the innkeeper--let him have the coin, Temujin wasn't willing to risk his neck any further!

But midway past the laundry house, the sight of the smoke and fire eerily reminded him of his tribe. The burnt down yurts; the charred bodies; the razed ground...He felt an awkward tug on his conscience that made him feel guilty for fleeing. With a resolute sigh, he wound his horse back around toward the laundry house and halted sharply at the entrance. He properly doused himself with a bucket of water before entering, unknowingly pushing past Hawk-Nose as he did so. Without regard to the fire, he helped shoulder the boar-woman out of the laundry house. For all her supposed bravado and charging, she had become limp underneath all the smoke. Temujin deposited her outside the house, eliciting a curious glance from his horse, before dousing himself in more water and dashing back in.

visualspice

Moments later, The Gambler was bursting through the doors and shouldering a bunch of clothes. Behind him, as he continued to huff his way, were a gaggle of women who had refused to leave this clothing to flames. So the 'hero' had his arms full, literally and groaned and coughed out smoke the moment he was outside.

"Okay ladies, here's your clothing. Now just get to safety, alright?"

The ladies all cooed with delight, patting.the half sooted hero as they scrambled to get away from the building now in flames. But when he heard a woman scream, "My dog! My dog! My little one is stuck in his cage!"

Turning to the woman he asked, "Are there any more people inside?"

The woman shook her head.
"I... I don't think. But my Oscar... He's all I have left! Please save him! I could not live with myself if he were to die this way!"

John groaned but nodded.
"Okay, I'll get your mutt, but after I see if there are anymore people!" And turning back to the flaming laundry house, he cringed and dashed back inside, and found himself stumbling past the soaking wet Temu.

"Dousing myself in water... Why didn't I think of that?"

Ahnnie

"Dousing myself with water...Why didn't I think of that?"

Temujin turned to look at the Gambler and recognized him, the trickster who had been escaping with Liri. Under normal circumstances, he would've tried to advance his vendetta. But there was a building that was burning, and potential victims inside it. And it seemed as though the Gambler was also trying to help diffuse the situation. So he probably wasn't all that bad...

The nomad picked up a bucket half-filled with water and suds and dumped it on the Gambler. "There. Now you've been doused."

A little ahead to his left he suddenly heard the creaking of something small and metallic and the high-pitched whine of an anxious dog. It confused Temujin, for the place was primarily water and clothes and lye...why would there be a dog?

Then it was clear up ahead that there was a small dog still stuck in its cage, frightened by the noise and smoke and fire. Temujin felt a stab of pity for it but he wondered also whether there were other people still stuck in the fire. It was then that a young woman fainted in his and the Gambler's direction, almost horizontally, so that they both might have to catch her if they didn't want her to fall.

"I'll take the lady and you'll take the dog?" Temujin asked him.

visualspice

Ooc: I hope its okay to presume they both caught the fainting lady? If not, I'll edit my.post.

--------

John Johnson stood there, blowing soap and water away from his mouth, hands on his hips.
"You're the resourceful.type aren't ya? Ever heard of the phrase 'heads up?' " The Gambler asked, but didn't say anything further on the situation as he heard the whimpering cry of the dog. But before he could act, he was confronted with a fainting woman who seemed to fall into both of their arms.

He looked over at the other man with a smirk.
"Okay, but be careful! This woman's kinda heavy!" And he deposited his half of the woman into Temu's arms and bounded off towards the sound of the whimpering dog.

Ahnnie

((Yup, they pretty much both caught her ^^))

Temujin nodded and then staggered a little as the Gambler dumped the woman fully into his arms. Temujin hefted her back up and carried her as stalwartly as he could out of the building, settling her down beside the boar-woman who was only now just coming to. Not wanting to stay behind to see if the boar-woman had gotten any less tough, he rushed back in to see if he could help the Gambler with anything.