Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hide in the shadows, or bask in uncertainty.

Started by IcarusDescension, December 08, 2014, 06:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IcarusDescension

[OOC: Thread is currently getting underway, but if you have an interest in getting involved come over to the Plotting Thread and say hello.]

'Traveler's Respite,' as the building's name and weather-beaten wooden sign out front implied, was a tavern which had obviously once been built with ambition and optimism. It was fairly large for the humble hamlet in which it resided, being three stories, and boasted both an eating establishment on the lower floor and plenty of rooms to accommodate guests.

Equally obvious was that time had not been kind to its builders' egos. The paint was well worn, the windows often did not look entirely impervious to the weather, and even its quaint wooden sign, hanging from a post and beam out front, was chipped and weathered. None the less it was the only one of its kind for some distance in any direction which gave it enough business from the passing traffic to keep its proprietors in business and the roof from leaking.

It was that very rural-yet-active atmosphere that had attracted its newest employee, a young man (by appearances at least) perhaps in his early twenties. As unremarkable looking as the Respite itself -yet stopping short of being called ugly- the young man had wandered in from the countryside one day carrying only the belongings he could fit into his humble pack and inquired of the establishment's owner so that he might work for his room and board. Unfortunately for young Liri, that happened to be a large and burly (not to mention surly) man who called himself 'Rich,' perhaps in reference to his obvious aspirations.

Unlike the Respite however, Liri was not at all what he appeared. For he was in fact a young woman of the same age who had in her childhood become the victim of her own wish to be someone, ANYONE, else. Not everyone gets to have their childhood wishes come true, but to Liri it had not been a blessing. Partially because it seemed suspiciously like magic -which was forbidden in her homeland of Connlaoth- but mostly because she was totally unable to figure out how to reverse the process and appear as herself once more.

Sometimes she pondered on the irony that she should spend her childhood wishing to be anyone and anywhere else only to spend the years since wishing she could for just one day be herself and return to the places she once called home.

On this particular winter's day, not two days after the tavern's surly owner reluctantly agreed to take her on, she stood by the bar and watched the room's limited stock of occupants. For as long as she could remember she had always had a habit of watching strangers and idly speculating on their lives and motives. She was eternally fascinated by a good story you see, and life had frequently taught her that she could invent more interesting stories for people than they had managed to make for themselves.

A few more private alcoves nestled up against the room's outer walls that just begged for secretive meetings and nefarious dealings, but those were all empty at the moment. Of the handful of plain wooden tables that occupied the center of the room only one was in use, taken up by a group of five rugged and travel-worn looking men prone to sudden bursts of raucous laughter while talking altogether too loudly to each other over some ale and cold soup.

Their kind were not usual for inns such as this one, and she paid them little mind. She was more focused on the room's other occupant, a scrawny-looking young man dressed in worn traveling leathers and a full-length forest-green cloak which looked like it long been in need of a good tailor but had been forced to do without.

The scrawny, dark-haired man looked to be no older than she was, yet haunted by demons that even a more experienced man should not have to bear. The dark circles under his eyes bespoke of too little sleep, and his eyes perpetually darted from one corner of the room to the next as if indeed expecting a demonic spirit to appear at any moment. When he turned his head a ragged red scarf could just be seen poking out from beneath the folds of his cloak. It clashed horribly with his attire and she had to wonder at its purpose.

Yet in spite of this the thought occurred to her that he was actually kind of handsome. His smooth features gave him a gentle, sculpted look that seemed to say 'this man should have been born a noble and walk proudly in fine clothing with servants about him.' -No, she reconsidered. This strange boy should be a handsome rogue, daring with his sword and leaping about slaying evildoers and pirates. Yes that was it, she decided. A roguish swashbuckler who chased after the princess far above his station whom he could never have...

"Ho, hey lad!" came a loud shout from the crowd at the table.

She turned to look at them, hoping the ox of a man who had gotten her attention would simply announce what it was he wanted. Instead she saw him beckoning her towards their table with a mischievous grin. Inwardly she groaned but made her way over to him.

When she arrived the men were all grinning at each other, and the smell of intoxication was pungent. "Don't look so glum lad," the ox spoke again, elbowing her in a conspiratorial way when she came within range. "I've got one that'll cheer you up. Made my friend here spill his drink all over 'imself. You want to hear it?"

This, she had learned, was probably the biggest drawback to being trapped in the appearance of a man: other men expected you to act like them. Her mind raced in an attempt to think of a polite way to run the other direction. Unfortunately she wasn't fast enough.

"So a man and his wife are arguing over which sex is better," the ox continued without waiting for her response. "The man drops his pants and says 'men are clearly superior, we're born with one of these."

"You know I really should be-" she began during the dramatic pause.

The ox -literally tearing up at his own joke- simply talked over her as if she hadn't spoken. "So the wife says, 'You think that's worth somethin' eh?' Then she drops her pants too and says 'well with just one of these I can get as many of those as I want!'" With that the whole table burst into laughter again as though they hadn't heard the joke already.

'Great,' she thought bitterly as the men continued, 'I'm working for my food and now I don't even have an appetite.' She turned to make her escape but the man grabbed her arm, leaning towards her in that conspiratorial way again.

"We're just joshin' ya lad, don't mind us. Say..." He glanced about for a moment as if to make sure his wife hadn't wandered in while he wasn't looking. "Where abouts in this little village of yours does a man go to see to his needs if you know what I'm askin' eh?" He even winked.

His breath assaulted her and for a moment she wanted to vomit. All five of them had turned to her in expectation of her answer. Her face began to turn beet red, although she wasn't sure if it was from embarrassment or frustration. "You know," she began, wandering if telling the men to go pleasure each other for all she cared would cost her the job she had only just gotten, then deciding it probably would. "... I really wouldn't know. I'm new here myself. -Excuse me I have to get back to work." With that she pulled her arm from the man's grasp and walked briskly away from the table and made for the door that led to the tavern's back rooms. She would go hide in the cellar until the men left, she decided.

She hadn't gotten there yet when another booming voice interrupted her.

"Boy!" called Rich from behind the bar. He never seemed to use her name, though she had given it to him a couple of times. She was only 'boy,' and probably always would be.

Bracing herself for her second enjoyable encounter of the day she made her way over to the bar. "Yes?"

"Look at that young man there by the door and tell me what's wrong about him eh?" he directed, nodding towards the nervous-looking young man she had been observing before.

For a moment she just looked at Rich, surprised the man shared her interest in astute observation. Perhaps he wasn't so bad after all... "You know I saw that too. Look how he keeps glancing around the room as if memorizing the exits, and you can tell he hasn't slept. Do you suppose he's on the run?"

Rich only looked at her for a few moments as if she were the least intelligent form of life he had ever had the misfortune of coming upon. Then he brought his right arm out from under the bar where it had apparently been holding an empty cup, and slammed it down upon the bar with such force she was sure she'd jumped a foot off the ground in shock. "Noooo... He's got no drink in his hands," he stated in the exaggerated way one might talk to an insufferable child. "I don't run a charity shelter here. Go sell him a drink or a room or tell him to move on." He walked away, shaking his head.

With hands that were shaking slightly as she gripped the cup, she moved to do as instructed. 'That finishes it,' she thought, 'I was better off hunting rabbits in the wild and fending for myself. I'm going to wait until he gives me my promised night of food and sleep and then I'm going to tell him I quit.'

The young man seemed to grow more nervous as she approached, until he had looked her over for a few moments and seemed to decide she was just the harmless server she appeared. Then he slumped in his chair again, not making eye contact.

"You want something to drink?" she asked sullenly.

The stranger seemed distracted. "Yeah," he said casually, waving a hand. "Whatever you got. -And some food too." Unlike his clearly unsettled manner his voice managed to project confidence. She wondered if it was real or practiced.

"Fine," she said, setting the cup down in front of him. For a moment their eyes met. His were dark, like his hair, and searching. For a moment she became preoccupied with staring into their depths.

"-Look I'm not paying for an empty cup," he barked. "Just go get whatever you got and be quick about it."

She glared back at him for a moment, disappointed that his personality clearly didn't match his looks, then swallowed her anger and moved to fetch his order. 'Leaving in the morning,' she repeated to herself like a mantra, 'leaving in the morning...'

The front door behind her creaked open and a cold winter draft announced the arrival of another potential customer. A middle-aged man with an athletic build and expensive-looking clothes stepped in. He had shoulder-length shiny blond hair which he kept tied back, and a hawkish face complete with a too-long, bent nose. His skin was smooth and dark. Without even bothering to look about him he strutted to one of the tables and sat down.

Two other men followed him, both were dressed in similar-looking dark coats and sharp black trousers. They seemed... professional... she decided. Business associates or bodyguards? Their boots made a slight tapping sound on the wooden floorboards. Solid soles and warm thick leather on the outside. Practical, yet a subtle display of wealth. They all smelled of expensive cologne. Was that one... rose?
   'Stop getting distracted,' she chided herself, turning around again to face the lone stranger.
   ...Who was not there. She looked about but didn't see him anywhere in the room. 'How did he do that?' she wondered. Not even a scuffle to announce his movement.

Then something caught her eye. It was a small medallion, or looked like one.

She picked it up off the chair where the stranger had been sitting. It was just the right size to have fallen out of his pocket. Upon further inspection she decided it was no mere trinket. Whatever metal it was made out of reflected the light in a very strange way -refracting it into strange colors and patterns.  It seemed to have strange little pictures all over it. Or perhaps text written in a language she had never seen.

"Boy!" came a familiar shout. She almost dropped the strange pendant as she jumped out of her skin for the second time that night. "Bring these fine gentlemen some of our best vintage!"

She turned slowly, a venomous look on her face, but Rich wasn't even looking in her direction. He was too busy fawning over his 'new favorite customers.' She had never seen the man so jovial and smiling. Too bad she knew it for the empty performance that it was.

"Finest vintage is it?" she asked softly, though she knew they were too far away to hear. "We only have one, and you probably brewed it from something out of the privy..." On a whim she turned in the direction opposite the bar and walked out the still-open front door, slamming it behind her. She hadn't known why or where she was going, but now that she was outside she decided she was going to go return the strangers pendant. Perhaps he would reward her with some money and she could leave this sorry little village behind.

There was only one problem. She had no idea where he had gone to.

"Well the town's not that big," she thought aloud as she set foot in the direction of most of the other buildings. He had to be here somewhere. It was then that she saw, or thought she saw, a shadow move against the town's smithy. No fires burned inside it this time of night nor was there an abundance of moonlight but she was certain she had seen something. Her pace quickened.

Then stopped abruptly as a blood-curdling scream erupted from behind the building. She had never heard a scream like that. It sounded like a man's voice but there was little humanity left in it. Only pain, agony of a kind that only a soul-wrenching scream like that could every truly convey.

Terror battled with curiosity and a desire to help inside of her. For a moment it was a stand-off, then much to her own surprise she found herself taking off at a run towards the sound of the scream. What she saw when she rounded the far corner of the smithy would be a sight she would never forget.

For a mere heartbeat, eternity though it seemed as time slowed to a crawl, she saw the flesh of a man turn to cinders before her very eyes. The man's outer shell was all that was left of him by the time she arrived- a fire seemed to be devouring him from the inside out- and even that was flesh but for the barest of moments. A moment in which she was sure she had recognized the face of a young man with gentle features and dark hair, covered in a worn dark-green cloak and a clashing red neck scarf.

Then the moment fled and any resemblance to a human had turned to dust – literally. All that was left of the man now was a large pile of still-smoldering ash. Not a fingernail or loose thread from his clothing had survived the immolation.

It had all happened so fast that the still-rational corner of her mind doubted her own memory, yet the image of his face was persistent, burned into her very retinas. The face of the swashbuckling rogue distorted and twisted by pain into something wholly inhuman – a portrait to hang on the walls of the darkest imaginings of hell. And the truly gut-wrenching part was that small speck of humanity that had somehow endured in the boy's eyes, grabbing her by her very soul with the last piece of his own. Pleading, begging. Then extinguished.

She backed up against the wall of the smithy, feeling weak. She had never before seen death. Not like that. Her heart did not want to seem to beat again, to acknowledge the return of time's normal passing. Distantly things around her began to register, but they seemed far away at first. Was someone talking to her? She turned to see someone across the road from her, coming towards her now.

"Are you alright young miss? What happened here?"

There was something wrong with what he had just said, she was sure of it, but her mind wasn't working right. Had he been talking to her?

Then all at once her mind seemed to jolt awake as if shocked. Sounds seemed louder. The feel of the cold night's wind cut into her once more. She shook her head to clear it, looking back at the man crossing the road.

He had stopped short all of a sudden, looking at her strangely as if she had not been standing there a moment before. Why was he looking at her like that? Before she could explore that thought further an overriding terror gripped her. She was standing, alone, before the ashen remains of what had been a human being. He had been murdered by... it must have been magic. How would she explain? How could she?

Without purposefully deciding what to do she found herself bolting around the far side of the building – seeking concealment, running for all she was worth.

Sometime into the night she had finally calmed enough to think sensibly again and, not knowing what else to do and not wanting to look suspicious by her disappearance, returned to the Respite. It seemed somewhat more populated than when she left, but she was too preoccupied to so much as glance at the new arrivals. She moved across the room towards the bar where she saw Rich idly wiping clean some glassware. Half way there however she was stopped by a hand on her arm.

"Excuse me there." It was the hawk-faced man with the expensive clothes. "But I was supposed to meet someone here who I'm afraid is running quite late. You wouldn't happen to have seem him would you? He would be young, about your age, wearing nondescript clothing... perhaps even a red bandanna or scarf of some kind?"

Instantly her limbs seized up and she found she couldn't move even though she was quite sure she wanted to run. She stared at the man, looking for some sign of accusation or knowledge, but he only stared back quite innocently. "I umm... No- no, I don't think so..." She winced at the sound of her voice. She was not normally such a horrible liar.

The man narrowed his eyes at her response, staring at her with such intensity she was sure he could see into her very soul. He frowned. Then, as if nothing had passed between them, he released her arm and said casually "Very well, don't let me keep you then."

She ordered her limbs to move once more and after a moment they obliged. Her heart still beat frantically. Did the man know something, had she been recognized at the scene of the murder?

Rich intercepted her next, his face a portrait of disgust and anger. "So, you think you can just wander back in here after what you pulled eh boy? If you think for a moment that you're getting anything in the way of food or a bed out of me well let me tell you that I've gotten a better day's work out of my lame horse! I don't know where you came from but you're just going to have to keep on walking and don't ever let me see you back in here-" He stopped short, a gold piece flying from behind her to bounce off his chest. In a surprising feat of reflexes he caught it before it could fall halfway to the ground. "What the-"

Hawk-face spoke up again from his seat at the table. "That might cover a few days of the young man's stay might it not?" He was talking to Rich but she turned around to see it was her he was looking at, and with a disconcerting intensity. "I think perhaps we'll talk again. Wouldn't want him to feel like he had to run off..." While it was said with a smile there was no kindness behind the expression.

Without saying a word in reply she moved away, just stopping herself from actually running up the stairs that led to the Respite's upper floors. Upon reaching her room she paid no attention to the bed however, instead grabbing her pack with its meager possessions and moving to the window.

It was all just too much. Someone was quite likely on the prowl who could incinerate a human being, the hawk-faced man seemed to know something, but the mysterious stranger had seemed afraid of him. A stranger who was now dead, murdered in front of her and she might even be connected to the crime. So it didn't seem wise to reveal that she had the man's only apparent possession -which now that she thought about it seemed like it just might be valuable enough to kill for. She had no idea how any of it was connected but she knew she wanted nothing to do with it. It was time to make a discreet and quick exit, ditch the medallion somewhere, and forget all about this cursed little village.

She threw open the shutters and looked down. It was too far to jump straight down, but by luck or good fortune her room was almost above the attached stables and she was able to direct her jump to the right and onto its poorly thatched roof.

To call her meeting with the roof a landing would turn out to be somewhat generous. She slipped as soon as she hit and rolled her way off the slanted roof, falling ungracefully to the ground in a pained heap. For a moment she could only lay there, listening to the nickering of the startled horses inside the stable. That didn't last long. Adrenaline was doing its work and she soon had got back on her feet. Her right ankle throbbed painfully but it still moved so she ignored that for now and took off at her best pace...

Ahnnie

Temujin breathed a weary sigh of relief as he reached the little village. For tonight, he was not going to sleep on the ground. He would actually have a bed--a little luxury that in the civilized form, was a mattress raised by four wooden legs, but in nomadic form was a swath of wool blankets and spreadings, equally warm--and some hot food to go along with it. Not just the roasted hot food he'd been having for god knew how long, but hot food that was carefully seasoned and cooked and actually had some thought put into it. A little bit of wine was not so bad either, although Temujin would have preferred the creamy white airag over the commom man's watery blood-colored beverage any day.

He rode up along the village path and looked around for any indications of an inn. Most buildings were darkened or shuttered up at night, with only a few windows sporting the light of a solitary candle, so he knew neither of those was what he was looking for because inns were usually crowded places come evening. From experience, he knew to seek out a building that had both noise, good smells, and lots of light coming from within it. If it had a sign with some sort of picture on it that obviously indicated such a place, that too was a good indicator. He relied on these cues because he couldn't read in the Common language. The Horse Nomads never had a system of writing...they made their deals verbally and passed on their history and stories orally. Tribe life did not require much of a writing system.

He finally reached the inn he was looking for. It was an old, beaten down sort of building, but it was still standing and there was undoubtedly a good supply of beds in its rooms. Temujin checked his horse, tied him to a post, and walked inside to deal with the innkeeper on his lodgings. A small leather pouch tucked on his sash belt held the coins with which he would pay. When he first lost his tribe, he had thought the idea of staying in the places of the common man to be too low of an action for a tribe prince like him to commit. After a while, though, he warmed up to the idea (since it was quite reminiscent of sleeping on wool and sheepskin spreadings) and even to making money on the side, for the little coins were very helpful in obtaining supplies for him. He normally would be able to provide for himself off the land, but that took a lot of energy and time, and there were no other tribe members to help out with the more menial tasks. It was much easier to have the money to trade it off immediately for something useful instead.

As expected, the inn had customers. He noticed some well-dressed men sitting to a table, noticeably better off than most of the others, and everyone else noticed his strange nomadic garb. He ignored their stares and headed up to the counter where he dealt with a skeptical man about a room for the night and some food. When the tavern's proprietor saw that he had money, however, his expression became amiable enough. Nodding to the man, Temujin went back out to settle his horse in the stables while his food was being readied.

The young nomad gripped his horse's reins and led him round back to the stables, which were built in such a way that it was almost attached to the building's wall. Temujin found this construction of the common man to be rather curious, for Horse Nomads often kept their steeds in fenced pens together rather than these separately-stalled stables. He entered the thatched shelter and, choosing an empty stall, eased his horse into it with coaxing nomadic words. He had just finished unloading the saddle and removing the bridle when he heard a large thump! hit the roof above his head and the sound of something rolling off the slanted fixture to land loudly on the ground.

Frowning, Temujin unbuckled the last bit of the bridle, settled it on the saddle, and went outside to get a better look of what it was. He saw a young man, around his age perhaps, struggling to stand up on his feet as if he had taken a hard fall. As he was trying to get away, Temujin accosted him, "You! That was not a very smart idea, tumbling off the stable roof. For what purpose did you attempt that?"

visualspice

Traveler's Respite- yeah right! Long before the scrap of a boy had asked for help, John Johnson had stumbled in asking for the very same thing- but threats and sharp teeth from 'Rich' chased him out. He was hulking and kind of scary- and at this moment- he wasn't here to pick a fight, or look for someone else to break his nose again. So he tried to play on the man's humor, to lighten the mood of the other wise grumpy individual who owned this oh so prestigious establishment he sought to make a few honest coins while staying in the little town. It made Rich hate this red haired man even more. He knew a free loader when he smelled them. And by just the way he carried himself, he wanted no part of this offered 'help'.

Well, there went plan A. Plan B it was!

Except... he had no Plan B, and he was so far from 'Home' he began to wonder why he had decided to take this mission. Sure, he was lucky, sure he was hoping to spread the word that The Gambler was here for 'good'. A hero wannabe in his own right, it seemed the promised action he was to sniff out just wasn't meant to be.

That was, until he heard the screams. 'Boy' wasn't the only one to have seen, or rather smell, the unfortunate foul magics at work, but where as she had seen it by standing in broad daylight, he was up a little higher in view, so he had a vastly different perspective all together on what had transpired- though he couldn't say he digested witnessing the death of a man any better than she. The way his flesh was charred, his body- going to ash, sunk into the pit of his belly like a rock, and burned into his mind like the branding used on cattle.

He grit his teeth. Some hero he was. Someone needed help, and he was there too late. But he wasn't about to throw himself down below from where he had been hidden on his perch on a nearby building's roof top because well...
It seemed those next to arrive on the scene weren't making it easy on the only witness there. Perhaps he could still help avenge this poor man's death? No one deserved to be killed, by a mage, or a soldier, or anyone for that matter. This also did not make the mage's side look any better. And what coward would do this and take off? Too bad he hadn't caught sight of the culprit. And he certainly didn't want to be labeled as that- the culprit. So he more or less stayed put until the boy darted from the scene of the crime. Waiting just a moment, he moved from his hidden perch,  keeping an eye on this boy and saw him disappear into the same Inn that threw him out from earlier. Well, he wasn't going to go in there- but he couldn't just let this sort of travesty fall to the way side. There were too many casualties in this war, and whatever this was, it didn't bode well for anyone.

Yep, he supposed this was the right place for him to be. Though strange how he'd be tracking after a mage.. Most of those he 'fought' against were soldiers or noblemen playing the political game. It was kind of sickening to think what they did against their ow people- soldiers and mages alike. Though he supposed both sides had villains in their own right. This war wouldn't have begun other wise. So as he made his way down the roof top, he decided to find a warmer place to keep refuge, and nestled into some hay stacks in the loft of the stables and kept an eye on the Inn from here.

It was only then did he realize just how cold the day was as his teeth began to chatter as he curled up within the confines of his stack of hay. ANd just when he found himself about to lull off to sleep, for his day and travel had been long, his eyes snapped open. There was some commotion going on outside. But he couldn't fully see it from where he was, so- like any good person hiding inside a hay stack, he shimmied his way over, still hidden beneath the haystack, to get closer towards the edge of the loft.

Still inside his hay stack, he peered down towards the the scene. It was still hard to discern just what was going on, and lucky for him he was well hidden. But hey,h e boasted luck magic on his side.

Well.......
That was, until the itchyness and scent of the dust kicked up from his movement inside the haystack tickled his nose-
and before he could pinch his nose to stop it-
He sneezed.

Freezing in place, he held his breath and hoped, no prayed they hadn't heard that. Maybe the noises of the uneasy horses below him would drown it out? Except...
It was rather quiet, and even at his sneeze- the horses didn't really react in any way that would make them make any more noise than a few clomps of their shuffling hooves. In fact, they barely reacted to the commotion outside. It seemed the horses were simply content to eat the oats recently given to them.

Maybe if anyone questioned the sneeze... they'd believe it was from a horse?
Then again, horses had an entirely different and not human sounding sneeze. Well, he'd just have to hope that the commotion was more interesting than a hay stack sneezing atop of the edge of the loft.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ethereal-Star

In another place located far from mortal reach amid a desolate dark valley stood a large intimidating structure; The Black Tower it was called by those who dwelt within its depths. Dark fog swirled around the tower with fireflies glowing about the area here and there. The sense of death and destruction was evident in this place, this realm of gloom. It's perpetual nighttime sky shone with an alien moon and equally alien stars the only light here save what oil lamps burned in the tower itself. The front doors of the structure bore an ominous look, their black twisted designs engraved upon them a real testament to what lie inside. Gargantuan gargoyles surrounded the architecture, their mouths open in equal parts rage and the perpetual need for justice at any cost, their eyes a gleaming silver of the promise of vengeance.

It was here that the Fury Morguen made her presence known in one of the rooms of the tower, emerging in a cloud of black smoke that quickly faded upon her arrival. She had just returned from her latest assignment, a rather easy assignment she had to admit to herself. The pathetic fool didn't stand a chance, especially after he decided to leave that excuse of a tavern. She didn't care why he made it so easy, for she had a task to accomplish and he literally just handed the reins entirely to her to finish it off just like that. She smiled a devious smile at another job well done. The lamp nearby the front hall glowed an eerie light, a greenish flame seeming to shine from within. Gothic designs decorated the interior with a black-framed painting hanging on the wall nearest where Morguen had entered. She had always loved that painting, for it was a depiction of her and her fellow Furies standing together in a most familial way. For indeed, they were family.

She gazed at it a moment longer before heading up to her room to check on her former employer through the black scrying orb. Each Fury had one of these, for it proved an invaluable tool in their own ventures. As Morguen made her way up the winding staircase, a movement from below caught her eye as one of the others arrived in much the same way as Morguen herself did. "Hail sister." a voice called to her, its sound like that of sharp nails and burning acid.

Morguen turned to look at the other Fury. "Ah, Acidia, I take it mission accomplished?" she asked in a curious tone. Acidia smiled, her slightly pointed teeth making her seem wolfish in that moment.

"Indeed." the other Fury said in glee. "It was most satisfying, the wretch literally peed his pants when I appeared!" she laughed wickedly, a most chilling sound that reverberated off the stone walls. "The look on his face as he died was utterly priceless! His fear was extreme." she breathed in as though savoring the moment all over again. Then her sharp red eyes focused on Morguen. "But what of you, dear sister? How goes your latest mission?"

"Everything is as it should be." Morguen told Acidia. Acidia nodded. "Too easy, it was almost disappointing in fact." she stated with an slight air of displeasure. "But the whelp got what was coming to him, I made sure of that. Although, there were a couple others who almost saw me. Luckily for them they did not." she chuckled darkly.

The two Furies conversed with each other a little more before each went her own way. The other sisters were nowhere to be found, presumably on missions of their own. Morguen continued her trek up the stairway, the glow from the blood-red torches providing ample light for her to see by. Once in her chambers, she made her way over to the orb and removed its covering before attuning it to gaze within its murky depths.

IcarusDescension

Liri had not thought her nerves could get any more on edge, but when the man spoke behind her she found herself jumping in surprise while her heart yet again tried to explode from her chest. She spun about to face the voice's owner (which caused a sharp protest from her ankle) and looked him over.

With relief she noted that he neither looked nor sounded like the men she was trying to escape. In fact he didn't look quite like anyone she had ever met. Though his clothes were ordinary enough she found herself staring at his decorated purple headband and unusually braided hair. More than that there was something about his bearing – there was an almost regal nature to it she decided. The confidence of a man who had long ago taken charge of his destiny.

He was frowning at her.

Stop staring and say something you idiot, she scolded herself. "Why was I- Oh well you see I... maintain the stables here and someone had said there was a leak and then I slipped and..." Something caught her attention out of the corner of her eye and she turned to see a man coming around the side of the building from its front. It was one of the two identically dressed men who had accompanied the hawk-faced man into the tavern. Without thinking she leaped forward, hoping the man hadn't spotted her yet.

"-I actually should check on the horses too," she said while she tried to act nonchalant as she hurried into the stables. "That's also my job you see and-"

A soft sound came from somewhere inside the stables. She spun by instinct and found herself face to face with a large brown mare. She stared at the mare. The mare stared back. Was it her imagination or had that horse just sneezed at her? -Fool! she scolded herself again, dismissing the thought. Think! "You don't have to pay me any mind," she called over her shoulder at the young man outside the stables, "I actually might be in here for a minute..."

Her eyes moved frantically around the stables. Where to hide... There was a large pile of hay for the horses in one corner, it would make a good place...

Footsteps could be heard rounding the corner of the building. No time! Knowing she must look completely the fool by now she darted behind the door, pulling it open as far as it would go. At least it was wide and tall enough to hide her with her back to the wall. Great, she thought, this is just great. I'm even worse at being stealthy than I am at tending bar...

visualspice

Well, wasn't this a pickle? The boy he had seen back in that alley was now taking refuge in the stables- and well, he was pretty sure it would be no secret where he had chose to hide. And judging by those footfalls, it wouldn't be long at all before the men would scout the area. But the boy had hardly chosen an appropriate hiding place. That'd be the first place they'd look. (Though, a haystack might have been a close second), so while the boy was hiding, the haystack hissed down to him, "Pssst! Hey kid! You might want to hide someplace else-"

But before he could even offer any sort of suggestion- a group of men, who knew how many (it was hard to tell from where he was tucked away within the haystack), stormed into the place, eyes darting around like the quick whipping of the horses's tails at flies. Though when one was quick to look in the boy's direction, the man in hay stack decided to take a gamble- and did the only thing he could think of to draw their attention away from the shadow where Liri hid.

So he chucked an apple that was hidden in his pocket- and it hit one of the men square in the head.

John Johnson couldn't have been more pleased, and had he less self control, they would have heard the hay stack laugh. But now the men were growing impatient, and began to swear as their eyes cleaved around-
It seemed as if they had no idea where the apple had come from.

"Idiots," the hay-stack hider chuckled under his breath.
So he figured he'd help them figure that out. He kept a few apples on him anyway!
So pulling another one out, he threw it at the back of the same man's head-
and boy was he pissed when it hit him!

It was the hawk-nosed man that turned around, pointing a finger up to the loft.
"There! The haystack!" And when one of the men attempted to climb up the ladder- a single boot came out, and kicked it clean over. And the man clung to it as he gave a cry-

And down he went, crashing painfully onto his back.

Haystack 3- Bad Dudes 0!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ahnnie

The young man stared at Temujin for a while, as if in awe or shock, before finally saying, "Why was I--Oh well you see I... maintain the stables here and someone had said there was a leak and then I slipped and..." The young man's eyes seemed not to notice him anymore as they took notice of something going on behind him. Temujin arched an eyebrow and saw only the two men whom he had seen with the well-dressed man in the tavern earlier rounding the bend. For some reason this made the young man leap forward, a little past Temujin.

"--I actually should check on the horses too," he said as he hurried into the stables. "That's also my job you see and--"

There was a soft little noise that issued from within the stables which the young man had apparently heard, but not Temujin. The young man whirled around only to face a sweet-faced brown mare, staring at it for a while. His mannerisms spoke of anxiety and nervousness to Temujin, causing the nomad to wonder about this young man's integrity. When he thought back on it, the first thump! on the roof sounded a little too hard to have been a simple trip or fall. Whether there was a leak or not was debatable, since fixtures such as these were prone to leaking during and after a downpour. But still, that initial fall...

Then the young man snapped out of his trance and moved further into the stables, calling out to Temujin, "You don't have to pay me any mind, I actually might be in here for a minute..."

With a cocked eyebrow, the nomad went back inside as well to properly place the bridle of his horse on a hook. He occasionally sent glances toward the young man, who seemed rather undecided about where to go or what to do first in the stables. Before he could even say anything on the matter though the sound of footsteps drew closer, which could only have belonged to the two men he saw coming in this direction. Upon hearing that noise the young man became more skittish than ever as he hid himself behind the stable door, pulling it far back so as to cover him.

"What on earth-" Temujin was in the middle of exclaiming.

The two men then entered the stables, and without much thought to Temujin they began to look about the place. He wondered whether they were people the young man was specifically hiding from, or if the lad was just avoiding people in general. For all he knew, these two men could have just come to the stables to look for something they'd lost or forgotten, and the strange young man was over-thinking things. The nomad was undecided between furthering himself in this strange business or returning to the inn to have his meal; something didn't seem to be right, but then it was none of his business.

Things only grew stranger when apples began flying down on the men's heads from the loft. When they pinpointed the source, one of them climbed a ladder only to have it kicked down so that his back made hard contact with the ground. Out of an instinct recently beaten into him, the nomad whipped out his bow and quiver from the saddle and notched an arrow. His heart pounded as he pointed it up at the haystack on the loft. Frowning, he lowered the bow and cursed himself for being too paranoid.

I'm just not the same since...since that happened, he thought. I have to pull myself together. Whoever it was only threw apples, for goodness' sake. Still, he must not be innocent if he has to hide in a haystack.

"At any rate, you've given yourself away, you trickster," Temujin remarked as he exited his horse's stall with a lowered bow. When the fallen man's companion turned to look at him, Temujin put up a hand to indicate that he meant no harm...as long as none befell him, that was.

visualspice

"Trickster?" The hay-stack hider frowned when he realized the arrow was pointed at him. He gave a shake of his head and a roll of his eyes before muttering to himself, "Great... they brought back ups."

Seeing how if he tried another apple... (and his precious supply was getting low), he decided to remain quiet. Maybe the archer would just... go away? But before he could even consider it, the man on the ground groaned while the other pulled the ladder from his back. With ladder in hand, the man thanked Temujin, but then gave him a curious look. This man was evidently not a native.

Groaning as his companion pulled him to his feet, he nursed his back and growled, "Well let's not waste any more time! Get the hay stack and.. and look for the other!"
And that's when the wooden ladder was slamming against the loft again.

The haystack groaned.
"Really?" He looked around the area, trying to consider his options. "Is it really a good day today to test my luck?"
But it seemed just about every day had been since he had discovered 'his gift'-
Though heck, most Connlaothians considered any magic a curse!

IcarusDescension

Liri's heart was racing as she darted behind the door, noting with dismay that the stranger had followed her in. By this point she knew she must look obvious but her thoughts were too panicky and she couldn't think of what else to do so she just stayed behind the door as the man's comment was cut off by the new arrivals, who immediately began searching for her.

So they had spotted her after all then. Silently she cursed herself for her stupidity in trapping herself in this stable. Had she made a run for it on open ground there at least would have been the possibility she could have lost them, after all her years spent as a vagabond hadn't left her without some skill in the wild and these men seemed more like business types... But that didn't matter now. She just had to hope the men didn't intend violence. Perhaps she should just give up, put herself at their mercy?

Then she remembered she still had the murdered boy's little medallion in her pocket. She would look guilty. Would they kill her and take the prize, torture her to know how she had gotten it?

Stop! she demanded of her scattered brain. You're acting like that scared little girl you left behind all those years ago. Are you a coward?

The men had stopped searching, they seemed distracted by something. Muttered curses could be heard, then a crashing sound and more cursing. If only she could see what was going on!

"...given yourself away you trickster," someone was saying. It was the man with the headband, she recognized his voice. Was she working with them? This was bad, worse than she had suspected. But then why had he not simply pulled the door aside, why was she not caught by now? It mattered little, she would be at any moment.

As the inevitability of her capture sunk in she found a strange calm come over her. Yes, that's it -quiet your mind. Think. She embraced the calm; her heart began to beat a little slower...

One of the men groaned, then started barking orders. "Well let's not waste any more time! Get the hay stack and.. and look for the other!"

A moment later he spoke again, his voice was a cold sheet of ice over a boiling pit of anger. "And you with the bow, why were you in here with that boy anyway? You're not leaving either just yet... Someone in here knows something I want to know, and no amount of apples will keep me from it."

Apples? What did fruit have to do with anything? Stay focused, she scolded herself, grasping the calmness again like a drowning man to a piece of flotsam. There were footfalls on the other side of the door, one of the men was close. She forced herself to take stock of her options. She had lost per pack at some point, probably when she fell off the roof, so no help there. A pail sat on the ground near her, still with water in it for the horses...

She wanted to make a move, after all what did she have to lose? Yet her limbs felt shaky and weak. So, she thought bitterly, I really am a coward it seems.

No. The thought came from somewhere inside of her, filling her, drowning the fear for a moment. "No!" she found herself shouting as she pushed with all her might against the door.

Whoever was on the other side of it grunted as he fell, clearly taken by surprise, and she quickly grabbed the water pail, launching it at the next man she saw...

Ahnnie

The two men pulled themselves together and made mention to continue their search. They were to look in the haystack and then find 'the other', which Temujin assumed might be the boy who hid behind the door. He was hardly able to say a thing on that subject when he was also accosted by one of the men.

"And you with the bow, why were you in here with that boy anyway? You're not leaving either just yet...Someone in here knows something I want to know, and no amount of apples will keep me from it."

Temujin took the notched arrow from his bow and threw it back in the quiver. He gave the two men a sour and exasperated look, the look of a person who has had enough of trouble for one lifetime. And one who has a hot meal and warm bed waiting for him, at that. "Why else do you think I'd be here? I was settling my horse in for the night. Is that against the rules?" He phrased the last question with an an obvious ironic sting. He made a brief glance toward the door where the young man was hiding before adding, "I know nothing about what's going on here. As you can see, I'm not even FROM here. Now if we're finished, I have a meal I'd like to eat before I get any hungrier."

"We mean no trouble," the man who addressed him said as he moved closer to the door, "and yes, you don't look native, but that doesn't put you in the clear right away."

Temujin glared at him from the corner of his eye. How dare he question him like that! He, Temujin, prince of his tribe...but unsurprisingly enough, that pride was swept away with his fatigue and hunger. He found his former pride washing away from him the more he spent his days on the road, the more he was forgetting what it felt like to live has he had lived.

"No!"

Everyone turned in the direction of the shout, which came from the door behind which the young man hid. The man closest to it contorted his face from a surprised, almost ecstatic expression as he discovered what he had been looking for, to one of shock as the door flew out against him and slammed into his face. He slumped to his knees nursing his bleeding nose.

The young man was not yet finished; he grabbed a nearby pail and sent it swinging in a random direction. The other man ducked in time, and before Temujin could do anything, the pail lodged itself on his head, sinking down over his face after he bumped his back to the wall--an expert throw on the young man's part.

"Mmmmuerrrrfghlbrrtlllll!?!?" Temujin cursed, muffled by the pail.

visualspice

Despite to obscured view, 'the Gambler' saw it all, and from his hidden position, he called down to Liri, "Nice shot!" But seeing how this was as good a time as any to make any sort of escape, the red haired man burst from the haystack and half slid down the ladder. By the time he was at the bottom, the ends of his jacket were flying behind him as he smirked and rushed over to Liri, attempting to take the boy by the arm.
"I think that's our cue to go!"
And he probably made the most dashing of sights... Red hair dusted with hay remnants, hay dust mingling over his freckles, and little jutting pieces of it sticking out from his short, cropped beard. Oh, and of course, he had a playfully crooked smile to accompany his oh so stylishly disheveled look.

IcarusDescension

It would occur to Liri at some point that what she had overheard of the conversation was enough to make it clear the strange man was not working with her pursuers after all. That would be about the same moment it would occur to her that if she had been trying to make that shot, she never would have. Sadly it was hard to brag about something you did by accident and to the wrong person...

But at that exact moment none of those things were as yet going through her head. She was too shocked by her own boldness and preoccupied with the fact that even with one thug distracted by his bleeding nose there were still two of them left -and she was fresh out of buckets.

Fortunately before her fear had time to once again get the best of her a voice exclaimed "nice shot!" and the red haired man had come flying down from the loft as if he did this sort of thing every day.

She found herself staring at him in bewilderment as he glided right by the two remaining thugs (who seemed unsure of what was going to happen next and were clearly not as fast on the uptake.) "I think that's our cue to go!" he added with that strange crooked smile on his face. It seemed almost unreal: this man just dashing out of nowhere as casual as if they were all having an afternoon stroll. She would have thought she imagined him but for the feel of his very corporeal hand as he grabbed her arm.

She didn't resist as he pulled her away, though she spared a glance towards the man with the bow as something muffled came from beneath the bucket. "Er- sorry!" she called over her shoulder. At least I think, she added mentally. Her mind was still in the process of wrapping itself around who was friend and who was foe.

Ahnnie

Everything went dark when the bucket went over his head. Temujin whirled dangerously around, his bow smacking into something that felt like a head, as he tried to regain his composure. From beyond the bucket his muffled ears could hear a strange, third voice call out "Nice shot!", then somewhere behind him the sound of the haystack rustling and the same person running over to the door and saying, "I think that's our cue to go!"

Temujin whirled around in that direction, feeling more incensed the more he thought of how the trickster in the haystack and the nervous young man might be in this strange business together. "Oogh nnnbbbp yuuguhe dnnnnttt!" Temujin retorted, although it came out muffled and unintelligible to anyone who heard. What he had really been saying was, Oh no you don't! He couldn't discern in what direction the two were leaving in, though, thanks to the bucket.

"Er - sorry!" came the semi-apologetic voice of the young man. Temujin whirled in its direction and immediately bonked his head on a nearby stall door. Cursing in muffled again, he hitched his bow behind his quiver and tried to pull the pail of his head with both hands. It seemed like an easy thing to think of doing first, but when he tried applying it, the bucket appeared to be quite stuck on his head.

Only more pressure was mounted upon him when from somewhere a well-placed knee placed a strike into the middle of his stomach. Temujin coughed from inside the pail and could hear, in a somewhat tinny voice, one of the men saying, "I've got him! Serves him right for hitting me in the head like that. Now for the others..." Rage took hold of him once more and he head-butted the thug right back in the stomach with the pail, a most unusual helmet.

"Why you...!"

Temujin swung a punch at him for good measure before ducking out of the stables. He hadn't even known he was anywhere near an exit; he just stumbled forward and then found himself in open air. Once outside he tried removing the bucket from his head again. It only appeared to be more stuck after having used it like a battering ram. He tried his hardest though, for his breath was becoming short and Temujin didn't fancy death by asphyxiation from a bucket to be a very honorable death for the last living member of his tribe. When I find those two, Temujin swore, his mind growing muddied from the lack of oxygen yet his rage still quite clear, I'll be sure to make them pay double for this!

visualspice

Had John Johnson seen Temujin's skills with the bucket helmet, he would have complimented him as well, but as it were, it was perceived he was 'the enemy', and he wasn't about to stop his great escape right now! Keeping a firm hold on Liri, he shouted, "Come on! Down this way. There's a Laundry House we could probably lose 'em at!"

At such a suggestion, it might have seemed he had done this sort of thing more than once- and even in this very town! Though he'd never been here before, clothing wash houses were becoming a big thing, and he had used one elsewhere to fool a few guards. After all, what better place to run than a place that's over flowing with potential costumes to hide yourself from your enemy?

IcarusDescension

The two made for the laundry house, with Liri nervously glancing over her shoulder at every opportunity. It surprised her that no one seemed to be following -but she guessed they couldn't be too far behind. She had no way of knowing of course that her would-be captors had just been freshly schooled by a man with a bucket over his head. Just as well. For even if she had known there was no time just then to find mirth at their fate as her red-haired rescuer pulled her swiftly along, dodging between one obstruction and the next until they arrived at their destination.

Her ankle was determined to take retribution for every step she had demanded of it and to distract herself from it she turned her attention to her companion, studying him out habit. The man's care-free sort of confidence, blended with an easy smile, rugged goatee, long coat streaming behind him, all gave her an impression of someone who was incapable of ever really being out of his element. Now this man, she thought, this man could be the swashbuckling rogue if anyone could be.  -Except, well, he just didn't have that aura of carefully controlled danger about him.

At the moment she was glad. 'Safe' seemed a much more attractive attribute for the time being. Fool! she accused herself for the second time that night. To the whole world you look like a man, would it kill you to act like one long enough to get out of this?

The residual smell of lye and soap confronted her senses -though at that time of night the wash basins were not in use. They did not linger near the basins, instead continuing out the back to where a fair amount of laundry had been left unguarded on ropes in order to dry in the fresh night air. It seemed all too convenient, but then in smaller villages like this one there was little need for security. Most of the residents would know each other and theft would be rare. (Aside from the occasional seedy traveler of course -but even most of them would be interested in something more valuable than a commoner's clothes.)

She found herself hesitating. Her years as a vagabond had forced her to do what she had to in order to survive, and sometimes that had meant doing things she wasn't proud of, but even in those days she had assiduously avoided stealing. -Not that hunger hadn't forced her into raiding the garden of one or two farmers on her way. -Or for that matter there was that time she had lost her only bow and had 'borrowed' one that had carelessly been left unguarded. (She had always meant to return that...) Not the time - stay focused!

She shook her head, trying to clear her mind again. Had he been saying anything? With a start she realized she had been so preoccupied with escaping danger and her own thoughts that she hadn't even been listening enough to know. Don't worry about that now-find a disguise, stay alive...

visualspice

It was refreshing, and a bit over whelming, when he rushed into the laundry house- young boy in tow. Since city streets didn't always smell the greatest (he was from a farm, after all, so the grime of the city just wasn't something he adored!) But there was just so much of the smell he nearly choked on it, but continued to rush forward, mindful of the wash house ladies who were giving the pair a look as they dashed past. There was no need to inconvenience them with their escape route- since they'd be giving them trouble soon enough!

But this place was like a maze, and he dragged Liri along, winding through the rooms and halls as a quick a pace as such confines would allow, and finally when they stumbled into a back room with a line of shirt hanging out to dry, the man's eyes lit up.

"Sweet! Looks like we hit the jack pot!" He gave a gesture with his head for Liri to follow, having now removed his hold on his wrist. "Find something you like, and quick- and oh," and he paused before a pair of nobleman's clothing before glancing over his shoulder at Liri, "Sorry about the grab and dash, but I'm a man who, you could say, likes to Gamble." ANd he gave the young man a grin that made his face blossom and his eyes seem to shrink, but he only looked all the more dashing for it, even with the remnants of hay still sticking out of his hair, beard and clothes.

As he moved forward to continue to swiftly browse the 'wares', he idly added, "Perhaps you've heard of me? Some call me.... The Gambler. And well, let's just say the name sake goes with my reputation-" If he had one! "I'm here to help in any way I can. The little man should not be brought down by the big guns, or something like that." He gave a shrug and continued to browse, wondering if any of this clothing would fit him, but he found himself going back to the nobleman's suit.

It totally wasn't his style, (he did prefer his long jacket, after all!) but perhaps he could see if it fit? Shrugging off his jacket, he began to peel the clothing off the line.
"So if you don't mind me asking- what were you running from? In trouble with the army or something?" He only asked because, well, most people he helped were. "There's a lot of that going on in Connlaoth. But just know, The Gambler's got your back!"

It was around this time, someone else using the laundry house had had enough of their conversation. She was trying not to be seen- for Liri wasn't the only one with men after her. And with her delicate condition- which she loathed, it only further aided in riling her up that these two fools would bring trouble in the place where she slept! (for she hadn't slept for days, and well- she kind of had the same idea as them once she rested off her night run), but turns out she'd have to make a hasty exit, and growled through her teeth.

The dark haired woman pushed aside and through the walls of hanging clothing that separated her from the two 'new comers' and she growled and pushed past them, snatching up the man's discarded, hay littered coat.

"For two criminals on the run, you two sure make a lot of noise!" she snapped, throwing the coat on over top of herself and hugging it around her body quick. No one needed to know she was pregnant (though it would be obvious- but the jacket worked nicely, in the moment, to conceal that large baby bump well). And as she dashed passed she only offered the pair this as parting words, "Oh, and thanks for the jacket- but I don't think that nobleman's tunic would fit you, love You're a bit on the small side!"

And The Gambler found himself only staring before shouting after her, "HEY!" And he blinked, turning to Liri, "What did she mean by small?" And his eyes went to the door as he braced himself, debating making chase after his jacket thief or committing to his plan. Sometimes being a hero was so hard!

Bursting out from the back of the laundry house, Mae'leena's (or rather The Gambler's) jacket fluttered in her wake, and thankful for the pair of hoods sewn within it, she used both to cover her head, hoping it would continue to shroud her appearance so that any men that were still left on the hunt after her would have a hard time discerning if it were, in fact The Spider- for John Johnson wasn't the only one with a name sake. Then again, she was no hero. Thieves, after, were never seen as such!

But a moment later and she found herself seeing stars, for a bucket headed man stood in her way, and she had little time to stop. Full force she crashed into him, and with a sharp cry, she went down- and god did it hurt her back to land on the cobblestone in such a manner! She grit her teeth, swearing all the while.

"Watch where you're going you moron!" she snapped. "Now get out of my way before I make that bucket a permanent fixture on your face!"

Ahnnie

Temujin's sense of urgency increased the more the bucket's stay on his head was elongated. Air! By the gods, he needed air! It was getting harder to breathe under this infernal thing. He knew nothing of science, so he could not have known that he had already breathed in all the available oxygen and was spewing out only more carbon dioxide within the little enclosed space. Though a tiny slit of an opening was available below his neck, where the opening of the pail was too wide to completely shut his head off, it was not enough for the dizzied nomad.

He staggered up to his feet for another attempt to remove the stubborn pail. With all his remaining might, he grabbed the infernal thing and pulled as hard as he could. Just as he thought he was making progress though, another person rammed into him for the second time that day and knocked him backwards from the impact. He lay on the ground wheezing and huffing more carbon dioxide (of which he knew nothing) into the bucket as the person yelled at him, "Watch where you're going, you moron! Now get out of my way before I make that bucket a permanent fixture on your face!"

"Adsflkhgmserkoyjhwoerithfkljwe!" he retorted in muffled, although this time he was not making sense even to himself. He turned over on his side and started another fresh, although much more feeble, attempt in getting the bucket off his head. With a groan of pain, since it was quite a painful ordeal, he pulled, and pulled, and pulled, until he was able to get the bucket off in a forceful pop!

When his head was finally free of the bucket, his hair was a mess, his headband was lopsided, and his face was an equal mixture of red and blue. A few gulps of much needed air quickly got the blue out of the way and within a few moments he was more composed and able to pick up the two arrows that fell out of his quiver and recognize his sudden assailant.

A woman! She was a dark haired woman, sprawled on her back against the cobblestones, and her belly large with child. Horror crept into Temujin's features as he realized what he'd almost done. He could have unknowingly hurt her unborn child! Pregnant women were treated with much delicacy and respect in the tribe, for they were the ones who brought new tribe members into the world, and suffered for nine months before the delivery--a suffering that should only have to end at pregnancy pains and nausea, not anything else.

Her turquoise markings and streaks in her hair went largely unnoticed, or shoved aside until further notice, as Temujin went up to her with a hand extended to her. "I apologize! Are you hurt badly? It's not like I wanted to have that bucket on my head. Two fools--thieves, or tricksters, or criminals, whoever they may be--put that on me. They ran off somewhere shortly after." He also remembered the two other men in the stables, but he didn't see them at the moment, although there was some noise going on in that area. If they were going to come out, there'd only be more unwanted trouble...

visualspice

Though to say she was not surprised to see another 'non-Connlaothian' suddenly before would be a lie, but her temper belayed any of that as she snorted.
"Yeah, and I'm queen of the Niafi," she sneered. "You and your bucket head hurt my back!" she snapped, rubbing at her poor lower back as she winced as she tried to stand up. Standing up was a chore on it's own, but she was 'ever so grateful' that her current life on the run had her body, and legs, in tip top shape, so with a grunt, she was able to push herself to her feet as she gave the man a glare.

Now that she was on her feet, she could utilize the hoods again and was quick to do so, concealing most of her face and hair as she hastily looked around to see if there were anymore annoy bucket headed men for her to run into. By the spirits, why did she ever come back to Connlaoth? Though a kick from inside her belly reminded her of that, and she secured the jacket more so over her belly and gave Temujin a challenging look- as if to say, 'Yeah? I'm pregnant! What of it, buckethead?'

This was turning out NOT to be her year. Damn Connlaoth. Damn Dukes. Damn War. Damn baby kicking her ribs, which made her involuntarily wince as she nursed her side.

IcarusDescension

Liri watched as her rescuer started perusing other people's clothing as if it were any other casual shopping day at the market. Her mind started processing the words she had barely been listening to. What had he called himself, the Gambler? He was asking her something. Why was she on the run? Her mind raced for a reply that was believable but preferably had nothing to do with the truth.

"I urm -Well..." I REALLY need to learn how to lie, she decided.

Fortunately she was saved from having to respond by a woman suddenly bursting from hiding, grabbing the Gambler's coat and running off.

"What did she mean by small?" the Gambler was asking.

Liri blinked, but once again she was saved from a reply by a sudden noise and harsh voices coming from the back exit where the woman had run. Quickly she jogged over to the door and peaked out. The strange woman was there, talking to an all-to-familiar man with a bucket on his head.

Wow, did he really follow us all the way here with that bucket on his head? She had to admit she was impressed, the man obviously had skills...

For a moment she considered approaching him and trying to explain what had happened. Perhaps he wasn't working with those thugs, maybe he would understand...

Images pushed to her mind unbidden: Her launching a water-filled bucket with all her might at the man in the suit... The man ducking her hasty throw... The bucket flying over his head and right onto the head of the bow-wielding man behind him... His expression the moment before the bucket made contact...

Or, she reconsidered, he might not understand...

Ducking back into the laundry room she hastily looked over the clothing and grabbed a warm and concealing-looking black travel cloak. Maybe it wasn't the ideal disguise but it would be better than nothing. Then, barely having broken stride, she made for the front door through which they had come. "Let's get out of here and I'll buy you a new coat," she promised hastily.

She threw open the door, surprising the now familiar hawk-nosed man on the other side. He was frozen mid-pose, his hand reaching for a door handle that wasn't there. For a half second the two stared at each other, then a look of victory crept across the man's face. The two thugs in matching suits stood behind him, one still nursing a bloody nose.

She closed the door quickly, almost failing to manipulate the lock before the man could force it open, and threw her back against it.

"Say," she spoke towards the Gambler, "you wouldn't happen to have another swift escape up your sleeve would you?"

IcarusDescension

In another place and time...

The sky thundered its rage, throwing sheets of rain down upon its victims below with unguarded wrath. Lightning flashed, making everything seem bright and the stark shadows menacing for the briefest of moments, then all was shrouded in darkness. The wind howled through the trees in ferocious gusts as if to tear them from their very roots.

Yet where a deep canyon cut through the forest like a massive scar upon the land two lone figures defied the storm, each leading a distraught-looking horse through the darkness.

"We should mount up and get ourselves out of this miserable canyon!" cried the shorter of the two. He had a weak, gravelly voice -barely audible over the noise of the wind and rain.

The taller figure turned sideways and huddled deeper into her cloak as a particularly strong gust of wind buffeted her. Another clap of thunder accompanied it and her horse -'Rosebud'- reared in protest and fear. The woman nearly lost her grip on the reins as she was thrown off-balance. "No!" she called back, righting herself and trying to calm the animal. "The horses are too spooked, they'll buck us and run!"

The man uttered a disgusted grunt. "I don't know why you insisted we bring those beasts! Could have gotten a more obedient pair from any horse trader on the continent!"

The woman did not reply, but instead stroked Rosebud's head reassuringly before urging her onward.

"There's nothing in this miserable valley anyway! You must have been wrong!" the man shouted after a time.

The woman bowed her head as shame and disappointment washed over her. She was beginning to agree with him. They were nearly to the end of the canyon and had seen nothing so much as a shack, let alone the crumbling ruins of a long-forgotten tower from another age. -But her years of research, her discovery! She had been so sure it was here!

"There!" her companion shouted after another clap of thunder.

Her heart froze in her chest in that moment of hope, but following his pointing finger she saw it was only a cave in the wall of the canyon up ahead with what appeared to be firelight emanating from its mouth.

So it was only some unfortunate soul such as themselves, waiting out the storm. Her heart sank, but at least it meant shelter.

The two made their way to the cave in silence, relieved to indeed find a warm campfire burning inside. A myriad of small caves like this one honeycombed the canyons in this area she knew. Indeed it looked unremarkable enough -although it was deeper than it had at first appeared. She could not see its end past a sharp curve beyond the fire.

A thin-looking figure dressed in rags tended the flames. He was rocking gently back and forth on a log when they entered, mumbling to himself with this arms outstretched towards the fire's warmth. There was a strangeness about his scarred and weathered face. It was his expression: his eyes unfocused, a huge -almost deranged- smile on his face. He looked up at them as they approached, his eyes seeming to focus on something behind them.

For a moment no one said anything, then the man suddenly clapped his hands lightly as if to summon a servant. Coming from a bedraggled hermit alone in a remote cave the gesture was jarringly out of place. Surprisingly when he spoke it was with a voice so smooth and resonant she was sure he had missed his calling as a singer. "You're here! Oh I've waited so long! The weather's foul but there's no need to scowl! Come, sit at my table, I had it set years ago and you never came!" He waved kindly towards a log on the other side of the fire. "-But that's all behind us! Sit! Sit! Let's talk of trees -and wind -and bees!" The man chuckled as if he had said something funny.

The two did not sit, instead sharing a bewildered look before turning back to the ragged man, who continued to stare at them expectantly with that deranged smile. He began rocking back and forth again, but didn't make any threatening moves.

Great, the woman thought, I'm going to have to wait out this storm with some lunatic hermit.[/i] But her legs were tired and the fire warm, and so she led Rosebud into the shelter of the cave and took a seat on a log opposite the hermit. Her companion followed suit without comment. "You're... very kind," she said, "Would you happen to have any warm food?" Not that she liked the idea of eating food served by a crazy man, but *goodness* was she tired of cold, rain-soaked rations.

"Food!" The man clapped his hands in that strange way again. "Yes, bring us food! The storm's a beast, but let's have a feast!" He paused for a few moments as if he expected something to happen. Then he hopped up from his log, grabbed a burning branch to use as a torch, and started moving further into the cave. "They're all away, happily at play! -Looks like we'll have to get it ourselves! Follow me!"

The two wanderers exchanged another look as he rounded the curve, his voice growing fainter. Then her squat companion shrugged. "Oh what the heck," he said as he stood. She waited while he dug his dagger from his belongings, then she grabbed a makeshift torch of her own from the fire and together they followed.

The hermit led them further and further down the strange winding cave until it finally emerged into a massive cavern. It's ceiling was too far up for the torchlight to reach, and its walls too far apart. It created the eerie illusion of walking into a room floating in a black void.

As remarkable a spectacle as it was, what really caused the two travelers' breath to catch in their throats was the enormous tower made of stone which occupied the chamber. Taller than they could see but relatively narrow at its base, it was built from great cubes of stone that were (mysteriously) too large to have fit through the cave mouth. On every external surface they could see in the dim light of the torch artistic patterns and glyphs were carved into the stone.

The woman spoke first. "I don't believe it. This is it! This is the Forgotten Tower, we've found it!" She was so excited she forgot her companions and ran for the dark hole in the stone which she assumed to be an entrance. Sure enough it was, but what she found inside surprised her anew.

Despite the tower's massive size she found herself in a modest sized rectangular chamber with smooth walls with the same strange patterns carved into them, but which were otherwise unbroken by decoration, fixtures, or other exits. The room's only furnishings consisted of a long and narrow wooden table which looked like it might have been quite luxurious long ago but was now aged and covered in dust, and a set of matching wooden chairs around it. The air in the room was musty and stale. Like the cavern in which it dwelt the tower room was as silent as death.

A primitive wooden cup sat near the head of the table, its presence upstaged by a large and intricate glass sculpture of vaguely organic shapes and curves which seemed to be displayed proudly at the table's center. Where the torchlight struck the sculpture it was scattered and refracted into a rainbow of colors.

She gasped. "Great Maker! This is it!"

Her shorter companion had followed her in, his angular face scanning the room and frowning. "This is... strange. Why would an object of such value just be left here in this plain stone room? Didn't you say the legends spoke of a majestic tower and something about a 'guardian?'"

She waved the man's concerns away. "What does it matter? This tower could only have been constructed and placed here by magic. Besides which it's right where it should be. As for the guardian, who knows? Maybe he got old and died. What matters is that we've found it..." She made a move towards the glass sculpture -then stopped. "No, you should be the first."

The man bowed his head appreciatively. "As you wish." However as his hands neared the glass he too stopped, then pulled back. "No... This is wrong. I feel nothing, no aura. This object, it's not magical." He began looking around the room.

Meanwhile the woman had slipped a dagger of her own from beneath the folds of her cloak, moving up behind the man while he was distracted. How would you know you old fool? And with that thought she thrust her dagger into the man's back just so – she knew right where to hit to penetrate his heart. A broad grin spread across her face. "You know I always did like my horse better than you, you dusty old man! Consider those nights I shared your bed payment for funding my little expedition." She pulled the dagger free with a flourish and stepped back, waiting for the man to fall dead to the ground. "I hope you don't feel cheated," she added.

Except that he didn't fall to the ground. Nor did he utter so much as a cry of pain. In fact he seemed completely uninjured as he turned slowly to face her, a half-smile on his face and a stone coldness in his eyes. "Cheated? Why not at all my dear." He raised his hand, palm facing towards her -a casual gesture on his part- and she was suddenly lifted off her feat and flung backwards at a horrifying speed. Her body slammed against the far wall with a sickening crunch, then crumpled in a heap on the floor.

He didn't bother to pick up her torch, instead lifting his hand palm-upwards. A small but bright ball of light appeared there. He turned back again to face the table. "No, this just isn't right," he said casually as if the woman's death had been but a minor distraction. Then a thought struck him and his gaze shifted to the plain-looking wooden cup. He moved towards the head of the table, his hands reaching out towards the cup but not touching it. "Yes... I can feel you now. Thought to hide from me did you? Cleaver." Now that he looked more closely at it the cup it did seem to reflect the light it in a subtle yet unnatural way. "But something's still off... Where's your guardian?"

As if on cue the deranged hermit entered the chamber, that same stupid smile on his face. "Are we enjoying my little feast? Don't spare the sauce, please pass the moss! I'm afraid I couldn't find the servants-" He stopped short, noticing the woman's crumpled body against the wall. He looked confused.

The older man turned away from the cup, walking slowly towards the hermit. "No... Surely not. Could it be?"

For his part the hermit only stared back, still looking dim and confused.

"Is it really you?" the man continued. "Have you been here guarding it all these countless ages ... slowly going mad?" He raised the hand which was not holding the ball of light and with a flick of his wrist sent the confused hermit flying against the wall where he remained as if pinned by the invisible hand of a giant.

The raggedy man's smile slipped and the fog behind his eyes seemed to clear -but only some. "So'Kor?" he said faintly, as if struggling to remember.

"So'Kor, yes, I was called that once... Orook you called yourself then. I'm glad you still remember me, though at our last meeting I was but a young whelp, and you... You were so very much more. I've spent many lifetimes trying to find the Artifact once more - lifetimes spent learning the arts necessary to defeat you. Yet now that I have at last, what do I find? A wasted shadow of the being you once were..." He uttered a disappointed sigh. "Well I suppose the fault is not yours. It took me far too long, and even then it was not I that stumbled upon your new hiding place but that bright young scholar." He glanced towards her broken body. "A shame she turned out to be so duplicitous; she would have made a wonderful pupil." He turned back to the man still pinned against the wall. "It's not the ending I had envisioned but here we are. Do you have any last words?"

Arook said nothing for a moment, then that deranged smile spread over his face once more. "Your soul black with slime but it isn't the right time!"

"As you say," So'Kor scoffed, visibly bored with the whole affair. Another flick of his hand and there was an audible cracking sound as Arook's neck was twisted brutally, the crazy man's body forming another crumpled heap on the floor. "Fear not old fool, the Artifact shall have a new guardian now, but I will not waste its potential by hiding it away in dark corners of the world. Power such as this should be used..."

With that said he turned around, a triumphant expression on his face, and moved to where the cup rested peacefully on the table.

-Or rather, to where it had been resting. The table now lay empty aside from the useless glass sculpture.

So'Kor's eyes frantically scanned the room to no avail. Rage now distorting his features he turned back to Arook's corpse. "What have you done!? Curse your sly trickster's ways! Where is it?!" He spent the next few minutes raging about the room, searching not only with his eyes but with all the magic he knew for the Artifact, but it was gone. Finally he let out a scream of rage and fell to his knees in defeat and frustration.

"Where... How?" Then his back arched and his eyes flared as understanding struck him. "What was it you said... 'it isn't the right time.' That's it... That's what you've done. You've sent it to another time! It will have disguised itself again of course, I won't be looking for a cup. But that won't be a problem once I figure out your little magic trick. Once I know where -or rather when- to look..." He rose slowly then as a mad chuckle escaped his throat. "You assume I will run out of lifetimes chasing this cursed thing don't you -but I will have it yet! If it takes me to my last breath... If I end up as mad as you by the end... I WILL have what I seek!" He spun on his heals and marched swiftly from the now empty ruins. "I will!" he swore into the unanswering silence.