Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sinister Origins: A "Mother's" Betrayal [M]

Started by TreeFolk, March 19, 2016, 02:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeFolk

Terror still clung to him like sodden clothes, his hands gripping either side of the water basin when she approached. He had not heard her when she rose, nor did he hear her when she called out his name. When her hand touched his shoulder he whipped around, eyes wild and terrified and his heart hammering so hard in his chest that it made his vision blur and spot.

At first his face was naked with his fear and vulnerability, and he did not recognize her. But as he slowly came back into the reality of the waking world and the dream, if that was what it had been, slipped away again leaving only the shadow of acknowledgment behind.

He turned from her to hide his face, only to feel her wrap her arms around his stomach. He relaxed into them, breathing slowing down from the dramatic panicked pant. It hitched in his throat as the face of his birth mother flitted back through his mind, though he could not remember her significance anymore. This... This is why he never slept much.

As his breathing returned to normal, he closed his eyes and allowed himself to feel the heavy beating of her heart against his back. Something he knew he should not be aware of. She was startled and concerned, he could tell, and some sick part of his cursed blood relished in it. Fed on the fear. He looked up towards the opening in the ceiling, seeing the soft gray fog of morning from above. "Sorry fer the abrupt morning wake up, lass..." He squeezed her hands, his own trembling. "Hopefully I didn't keep y'up with my... rambunctious sleep habit." He coughed to clear his throat, which was wispy and tight still.

"Think y'can get yerself and a pack ready? We ought t'head out shortly."

DragonSong

"It's okay," Reina murmured, still hugging him gently. There had been such raw fear in his face, she just wanted to help him, but she didn't know how.

"Yes. I can be ready to leave in a few moments." She started to pull away from him, then hesitated. With a soft, shivery sort of breath, she leaned in and pressed a feather light kiss to his cheek, then stood.

She kept quiet, not wanting to disturb him more than he already seemed to be as she made herself ready to travel.

TreeFolk

The kiss did not go unnoticed, but it still took him some time to get his bearings about him. He was still shaken, but after another minute he was able to goad himself into readying himself for the journey. He checked over their packs, rolling over the moment of weakness as he had done at the abandoned mansion he had found her in after killing all those within. He felt mentally unstable, and his body felt stiff as if it had been locked in the same position for hours and straining.

Looking around his small space one last time and wondering, not for the first time, whether or not he would return to it, he beckoned her out and into the main tunnel system. "As ready as we'll ever be, yeah? So long little hole, shall we not meet again for some time." He closed the door, locked it, and replaced the various vines and such over it as best he could to hide it. If somebody were to come across it, there might be enough with in it to give away their identity and perhaps even their plans. Not that he had not scoured the room for anything incriminating, but who knew what kind of things mages might be able to read about the place if they found it?

Leading them out of the tunnel system and out into the woods outside of Zantaric, they found their horses happily grazing. He began readying them, "Have y'ever ridden a horse?"

DragonSong

Reina followed him easily, keeping quiet, rather contemplative as she watched him hide the door then lead them into the trees.

She nodded, a small smile spreading over her face as she caught sight of the animals. "Yes, I have." She frowned slightly and moved forward to pat one of the horse's necks. "Only sidesaddle though, recently. I haven't ridden properly since I was a little girl."

But, well...how hard could it be? She had to have some muscle memory left, right?

TreeFolk

That brought a grin to his face. "Ever the lady! Right, this should be fine... Y'should be fine." Yes, she would be likely fine, but very, very sore. He helped her grab the reins and then hoisted her up into the saddle, guiding her feet into the stirrups if she needed help.

He swung into his own saddle, his own horse tearing stubbornly at the grass in its last ditch effort to stuff its face. He grinned at Reina to alleviate some of the worry he could still see clouding her face. "Onward and upward, yeah?" He gave his gelding a sharp kick, to which it reacted by snorting in irritation and moving forward. Well, he hoped his horse wouldn't be so lazy if they needed to escape... The gelding was unpredictably stubborn, even if he was decently loyal.

He headed them towards an old hunting trail first, a path unlikely to have any other travelers on it that would lead them towards the coast. It was overgrown and difficult to maneuver at moments, but safe.

DragonSong

"Oh my." Reina wriggled a bit as she found her footing in the stirrups, adjusting her weight and finding her balance. While it has been some years since she's ridden this way, she remembered what it should feel like.

Her horse was a little large for her, but he seemed a sweet thing, following the other gelding placidly with barely a nudge from her.

She smiled softly in return, nodding at Dean in an attempt to tell him she was fine. "Just getting used to things." She tucked her legs a little more properly under her hips, finding she rather enjoyed the connection she felt to the animal beneath her.

"Neil was right," she laughed quietly, "nothing like having sixteen hands between your legs."

TreeFolk

That brought a real laugh from Dean, slapping his knee as his horse picked its way along the path forward. "That sounds right dirty, doesn't it?" He laughed harder upon focusing on how it had been Reina who said it.

He turned in his saddle slightly to look at her, choking back additional laughter. "Hey, this Neil fellow, what were his intentions with you? Tellin' you dirty things like that and all." He let loose another peel of laughter, shaking his head as he turned forward. He wondered if the man had tried to say it in a seductive manner and it had been lost on Reina, or if he himself was just a pervert. He knew she was talking about the height of the horse, but still...

DragonSong

Reina frowned. "What do you- oh."

Her eyes suddenly went wide, cheeks flushing scarlet. "I didn't- I wasn't-" She groaned, embarrassed, and exerted a great effort of will not to bend forward and hide her face in her mount's mane.

"You know what I meant," she practically wailed, feeling like her whole body was burning up. Her eyes went even rounder as she considered what he said- probably taking it more seriously than she should have.

"Oh my gods," she groaned. "We were just kids, I don't think... I mean, I'm sure he wasn't..." She trailed off, feeling incredibly foolish.

TreeFolk

Her embarrassment only made it funnier for him as he continued to laugh, allowing her dig the hole she'd made for herself even deeper. The more she tried to explain herself, the worse it became... Or the funnier it became for him.

"Oh, lads start t'think about those things a lot younger than the lasses, especially a lot younger than proper ladies like yourself." He shook his head, wiping the tears of laughter from his eyes. "Nah, I'm just pullin' yer leg, love. I'm sure yer childhood friend never thought about you in that way." He said it in a way that he was sure would have her questioning herself for a good bit of time after.

DragonSong

And question herself she did. Reina found herself going over every detail of every conversation she'd ever held with the stable hand, desperately trying to figure out if she'd ever misled the boy in any way, or perhaps had missed an implication.

That is, until she realized that was exactly what Dean wanted her to do. Her mouth dropped open, then she snapped it closed quickly with a snap and glowered at him, giving her gelding a light tap with her heels so her mount came up beside his.

"That wasn't very nice," she sniffed, mock glaring at him. "You know as well as I do I'm naive about these things."

TreeFolk

Dean grinned at her, shrugging as they continued to ride down the track. "Consider it additional trainin' from before... An exercise in non-naivete." The grin widened as he chuckled, "Plus, it's a hell of a lot o' fun messin' with you. Y'get all pink in the face... Pretty cute, if y'ask me." He teased, hoping to see her begin blushing again.

DragonSong

"I do not!" Reina protested automatically, even as she felt her cheeks heat. She scowled and ducked her head, trying to hide the blush.

"It's your fault," she muttered petulantly. "I wasn't like this before I met you. Or if I was it wasn't nearly as bad."

Surely she'd never blushed so easily before? She used to think it was a silly reaction meant for silly little girls, but it seemed so gods-cursed easy for him to pull it out of her! She actually raised one hand in an attempt to hide her face from him, head tilting forward so golden curls hung around her like a curtain.

TreeFolk

"It ain't me, doll. You've been raised as a proper lady, and proper ladies get sheltered from folks like me. An' I'm the subtle type, too." He grinned, "Promise."

"So you gotta get used t'me, so when y'come across worse than me you'll be ready... Or more than y'are right now." He felt much more comfortable playing these roles... He, the bad influence street rat teaching the fine lady to survive in the world, and she, the good and innocent refined lady ever embarrassed by his seemingly improper training techniques.

DragonSong

"Oh dear. What would my mother think?" Reina said dryly with a roll of her eyes, but she was smiling slightly.

It was nice to talk like this, to be...normal, especially after everything that had happened. Uncurling from her embarrassed, hunched position and settling herself more comfortably on her horse, she glanced to Dean and asked, "So where are we headed anyway? The coast? I'm afraid I'm not really familiar with the geography of the area."

TreeFolk

Dean smirked at that, trying to picture the woman who had given birth to Reina. He imagined a stern woman, one who made rules not meant to be bent or broken. In fact, he imagined Reina's entire upbringing as if it belonged to an alien civilization from his own. Certainly it was a culture at the opposite end of the spectrum from his own- though something from his dream made him wonder who the woman in his own dream had been. Where she belonged to. And if that woman had been his birth mother, then why did the dark figures and the voice insist that the witch he had been raised by was his mother?

"A decent question, Deanie. The witch and the lady were both your mothers. You have both their bloods... Though the witch's way was something you might think revolting..."

The image of the witch, his mother, spitting blood into the baby's mouth broke through his mind. He was thankful for her question, shaking his head to dispel the darkness encroaching. "Uh.." He cleared his throat, "Yes, we're headed east to the coast. Roundabout way through these trails, really, but safer this way. So, geography is a part of yer normal studies?"

DragonSong

Reina tilted her head at him. He seemed...distracted. Upset? But he came out of it quickly and she tried to put it from her mind.

"Not exactly," she said with a small smile. "I mean, it was a piece of my studies, but no one really cared if I learned it or not. Misha- my brother- he was the one who had to know all the history and politics and geography."

Her smile turned a little wistful as she thought back. "He always helped me though, when I wanted to learn more than dancing and embroidery. Even though he hated his studies, he'd spend hours in the library with me, helping me find the right books..."

Her eyes suddenly started to itch and she glanced away, clearing her throat.

TreeFolk

"T'make y'feel better, Zantaric and this part o' the world ain't really mapped out in detail. Not many travel this far south, specially not with all us criminals roaming about... Then there's the things in the jungle and the shady temple... All in all, mapmakers aren't usually fond o' this place."

"Y'know, perhaps y'can get some more studyin' done in the time it takes yer folks to find another nefarious suitor to engage y'to." He nudged his gelding up a steep incline, the terrain rising. A bit longer and they would be crossing the southern portion of the mountain range, hitting a small portion of the jungle, and close in on the jungle.

DragonSong

"Perhaps I could," Reina agreed with a bitter sort of laugh, a wry twist to her mouth. She shook her head with a quiet scoff. "Although I think this lovely little adventure may actually help me convince my parents to hold off on marriage for another year or two," she muttered.

"Gods, I hope so..." She'd never really wanted to get married to begin with, especially not to some stranger in exchange for a dowery.