Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sinister Origins: A "Mother's" Betrayal [M]

Started by TreeFolk, March 19, 2016, 02:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeFolk

Dean leaned an elbow on the windowsill, chin resting in his hand as he drummed his fingers against his face as if considering her proposal. "One of my more impressive feats, really." He smiled down at her, dark eyes twinkling in amusement. "It's like I'm fishing fer ladies! Might you have gills? I sure hope not." He chuckled to himself, relishing in the humor of the situation now that the trouble had passed... Well, for the most part. He couldn't be entirely sure how long the men would be too addled to not notice their captive was still dangling within relative reach.

Grunting, he wrapped the rope around his wrists and into his hands. "Right then, up with you." She was light, despite the dress. If she would just lose the dress, perhaps it would be easier to haul her up. He certainly couldn't drop her back down into the alley. Even with the men as drugged as they were, he wasn't sure the girl would be able to get past them. Plus, what would he do if she ran off and got herself in more trouble? The rest of his darts were stashed away in his hideout. Still, he wouldn't suggest she lose the dress. Seemed she might find that idea distasteful, and he was still playing the role of the hero.

When she got close enough, he reached down and hoisted her up from beneath her armpits, bringing her in through the window and against his chest. "We meet again, m'lady Reina." His fingers slipped beneath the rope rather sensually at first, staring down at her flushed face before giving the rope a sharp tug to loosen it, bringing her forward against him. He used the close proximity to tug the rope the rest of the way up and over her head before taking a proprietary step back and looping the rope around his shoulder. "I believe your man to be looking for you. We ought not make him worry, yeah?" He offered his arm to her, acting rather nonchalant about the whole situation.

DragonSong

"Oh-!" Reina gave a little squeak as she was lifted up to the window, then pulled sharply against his chest. He was touching her again- she knew it was just to get the rope off, but his hands seemed to linger a bit too much. She swallowed, cheek very warm, and ducked her eyes, only managing to look at him again when he'd stepped away.

She frowned. "My...man?" Oh. Right, of course. "Oh, Matthias," she sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. For some reason, despite her general apathy toward her future husband, focusing on him made her feel a little better. It helped ground her, at least. "Yes, we should...he's probably worried sick by now," she murmured.

She took a step forward and gently slipped her hand into the crook of his arm automatically, quite used to the gesture. Then she paused, suddenly wary, and removed her hand, taking a step back as she looked him up and down. "What are you doing here? How did you find me? Whay did you...help?" she demanded, hand creeping toward the dagger. Her rather trusting nature seemed to be overpowered by recent experience.

TreeFolk

"Good, lass!" Dean barked out a laugh, "Startin' to catch on." He pointedly looked at the hand moving towards the dagger, to make her aware that he knew exactly what she was doing. Shrugging, he collected his things from beside the window, his back to her and clearly unconcerned about the danger she might present.

He didn't turn to address her as he spoke, "Y'took the same road I happened t'take. Heard a scuffle, saw it was you, thought I'd help. Be a shame should y'not be able to read that book." He gave a cursory glance out the window and tsked. "Lost it already though, haven't you?"

Turning back around he walked passed her to the door, sidestepping a hole in the floor. "Mind that hole there. I'll be on my way then." He tipped his hat to her and continued out into the hall and then down the rickety stairs, thinking he was lucky to have not fallen through some of the rotten wood on his way up. Once in the downstairs hallway, he began to dig in his coat pocket for the key to the padlock when he heard a rather heavy knock on the door. "Who is it?" He chimed brightly, striding to the door and looking out through the small peep hole.

The short, rich man was standing at the door. Frowning, Dean called out to the girl. "Seems yer man has finally found his way back t'you. Don't y'think it took him a bit long? Man must be quite daft... First lettin' y' stray all alone in the city, waitin' t'be plucked up like y'were. Then takin' his gods damned time t' find y'. The idjeet." He flung the door open now, a wide smile on his face as he bowed deep to the man. "Hello again, m'lord. I believe your misplaced lady is here," He gestured behind him towards wherever the girl was.

DragonSong

Reina dropped her hand at his look. It wasn't as though she'd really be able to use the damn blade anyway.

"Well, um- thank you!" she called after Dean as he started to leave, casting a glance at the window and biting her lip. It really was a shame that she'd dropped the book...of course, that was really the only part of what had just happened that she could focus on without completely panicking.

Brushing at her skirts, she started carefully down the stairs, just in time to catch the end of the trader's little speech about her betrothed. Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, she hurried down the stairs toward the door.

"Matthias, I can explain-"

Before she could get anything else out, the manservant- Garret, that was his name!- hade a short sword drawn and was pointing it at Dean's throat, scowling.

Reina's eyes widened and unthinkingly she threw herself forward, putting her body between the near stranger's and the blade. "No, wait! He helped me, it's alright."

"My lady." Matthias Torrin stepped forward, waving Garret aside and extending a hand to her, worry plainly written across his face. "I told you not to wander off. You had us worried sick!"

She ducked her head, feeling a little contrite but also trying to hide the flash of anger in her eyes. "I know. I'm sorry..." she murmured, stepping forward to take his hand. She cast a glance over her shoulder at Dean, mouthing, thank you.

TreeFolk

Dean was readying himself to fight back, when the girl threw herself between them. Shocked, Dean looked down at the top of her head as she smoothed things over with the grace befitting a woman of her stature. His lips quirked. So that was the benefit of a wealthy upbringing. He'd have to incorporate some of that tact into his next heist, should he go through with impersonating a young lord... And perhaps he would so that he might have the opportunity to see her again. He saw no other way that they might encounter one another again, and he felt drawn to her. She was amusing. Spunky and pure, a rather contradictory pairing of character traits.

The man, Matthias, did not acknowledge Dean any further as he began to lead Reina out of the doorway. Dean crossed his arms and tilted his head to the side, a charming smirk on his lips as she mouthed her thanks. He followed them only briefly, standing in the entrance of the building.

DragonSong

"My lady, that was an incredibly reckless thing to do."

Reina sighed as Matthias helped her up into the carriage Garret had brought around, settling herself on the seat and nodding demurely.  "Yes, I know. I'm sorry." Clearing her throat, she started to add, "Perhaps under the circumstances, Matthias, you could call me Reina-?"

Her fiance cut her off and she sighed quietly, glancing out the window of the carriage as they rattled off down the street toward the inn they were staying at. She bit her lip, brow furrowing as she relived the last few hours.

She really wished she hadn't dropped that book...

"...which is why I will not be leaving your side for the remainder of this trip."

Reina had to bite back a groan, simply nodding and giving Matthias a brief smile. It was going to be a long four days.

TreeFolk

Dean watched the man help her into their carriage, dark eyes scrutinizing the carriage and committing it to memory. As it took off down the street, Dean turned and fetched his cart from the closet in the house, dragging it back out to the street and over to the alleyway. The woman still lay unconscious, but the men were nowhere to be seen. He hoped they'd taken a dive into the canal and drowned.

Pulling his cart into the alley and within sight, he strode across the cobblestones and knelt beside the woman, placing his fingers against her throat. Still alive. Poking her head with the toe of his boot, he inspected the wound on her head. She'd be... Well, she'd live. Perhaps mentally handicapped for the rest of her days, but that wasn't any of his concern. At least this way she wouldn't be able to cause anymore trouble.

He turned and, to his surprise, spotted the book she had dropped. Leaning down, he plucked it up and grinned to himself. Perfect! An excuse should he happen to bump into Reina again. There wasn't any harm in having a side-project to busy himself with while he awaited whatever epiphany he was meant to have, was there? His mind already churned with ideas. There was an ailing exiled noble living somewhere down the way that he could check in on... While he wasn't dead quite yet, Dean had no qualms in getting his hands on a little pre-death loot. The man didn't have need of all of his clothes, did he? He was likely just lain up in bed in his bedclothes, with no need of any fancy attire. After he procured the clothing he would just need some sort of event or location to ease his way back in front of her. He was sure she had gotten a good look at his face, as good as she could have with his hat obscuring his face. Her man, however, hadn't given him more than a passing glance. Not even a thank you. He wasn't likely to be recognized.

DragonSong

Claiming exhaustion and an approaching headache, Reina retired to her room of the rather unsavory inn they were staying in that was still somehow slightly more savory than most of Zantaric. Matthias seemed content to leave her to her own devices, as long as Garret was standing guard at her door. Which was good, because she could feel a bruise rising on the skin of her cheek where she'd been struck, and she'd really rather not deal with explaining it to him just then.

Dropping onto the bed with a sigh, she leaned back on the pillows and covered her face with her hands. Gods what a day. And tomorrow was only likely to be longer- Matthias wouldn't let her out of his sight now, so she'd be stuck to his heels while he searched the markets for goods.

Forcing herself to stand and change into a nightdress, she curled up on the bed and burrowed into the covers, closing her eyes and furrowing her brow. Sleep. Go to sleep, Reina, sleep.

It took her a long time to drift off, haunted by thoughts of sneering faces and a heart-stopping panic, of foreign hands holding her captive- and of a charming smile and deep brown eyes, somehow making everything alright again but not exactly helping her to relax.

TreeFolk

The rest of his evening was composed of his visit to the ailing lord in question. A simple procedure, really. In and out without a fuss... Many lords exiled to Zantaric ended their days alone and uncared for, surrounded by whatever their remaining wealth provided them. Be that a small home and clothing, or nothing at all.

This one, he decided, had managed fairly well for himself. The man in question, word had it, had been terribly fond of the ladies and had spent his days in the pockets of Zantaric that offered the cheaper lay. And, as most native born and bred Zantarians knew, those whore houses were notorious for spreading disease. This man, as far as Dean cared, deserved it. Well, to be honest, many individuals who suffered often had asked for whatever misfortune befell them. A man contracted a fatal sexual disease after years of paying for sex in disease-ridden whore houses- deserving. A woman who jumped strangers in the street received a crack on the head hard enough to ruin her mentally for life- deserving. But the young noblewoman... Perhaps he was a bit distracted by her beauty, but he couldn't make out a way that she had been deserving of ending up kidnapped or worse. Other than her own ignorance, the young woman hadn't seemed terribly deserving.

He rummaged through the ailing lord's clothing before settling on two pairs of clothes that best reflected the most recent fashions Dean had seen worn about in the more civilized corners of the world... They would still likely seem outdated, but perhaps he'd be mistaken as a poorer, out of fashion lord.

Tucking the clothes into a knapsack, Dean glanced over at the feeble body of the lord in his bed... Not long before Dean would return to this place to truly clear it out, but he had at least enough respect to wait until the man was fully dead before stripping the place bare.

He returned to his hideout in the city... A place that had been present since his days spent as a youth in the streets. Beneath the streets of the city, many of the city's orphans claimed unused (and used) portions of the sewage system as their home. Dean had been one of those children, often using this place as a way to escape the cruelty of his mother. He could recall a time when she had beat him nearly blind, and had needed to use his hands to guide him through the sewage system. As he had aged, however, Dean had been able to procure an unused portion of the sewage system that was inaccessible except two points. One from the main entry in the city's sewage system, and one that dumped out outside of the city. Very hard to find, Dean was pleased to discover the place had been mostly untouched since his leave.

Before ducking beneath the city streets Dean stashed his cart and wares in a small shed on the outskirts of the city. He ducked into an unused manhole covered with moss, making his way back to his hideout. Unlocking the door to the place, he entered the small space, the light from the end of the tunnel leading out of the city giving him enough light to see as he lit a candle. He looked at the clothing, considered trying them on, before deciding he was too exhausted. Curling up rather haphazardly in his small nook, he blew out the candle and quickly fell asleep.

DragonSong

They were out in the markets again, although at least this time Reina had insisted on wearing her least flashy dress- it was still of finer material than what anyone else in Zantaric could afford, but from a distance she may be mistaken for something other than what she was.

If she hadn't been forced to stand glued to her fiance's coattails, that is. Sighing, she hovered at Matthias's side as he made his way through the markets, evidently looking for something in particular that he didn't feel the need to share with her.

She tried again to get more information. "Perhaps if I just knew what you were searching for, I could help look-"

"You will not be leaving my side, so I really don't see how you would do that," the young merchant cut across her before she could finish.

Reina bristled, wanting to snap something scathing back but forcing herself to bite her tongue. Yes, it was going to be a long day.

TreeFolk

In the morning, Dean debated for a good deal of time on whether or not he should seek the girl out or set up shop again. He could make some more money, but the prospect of sitting in a low-traffic booth all day sounded so boring he almost couldn't imagine himself dealing with it. He could always set up another day, after the ailing noble died and he had some more interesting wares to sell.

He bathed and shrugged into the well-made ensemble, the pants a faded black leather. Surprisingly the pants were rather comfortable, well-worn in and nearly his size, only a bit snug on his thighs and butt. The blouse was a dark garnet, the black vest snug against his broad chest. Looking in his mirror, he shaved the stubble and then combed his dirty blonde hair. He considered cutting it, briefly, but he thought it looked rather good clean. He added a sword at his hip, a ring, and an earring with garnet in them... The other man had clearly preferred the stone or the color.

The only unfortunate part of his outfit left were his boots... The man had exceedingly small feet, and so Dean was stuck in his own worn leather boots. Well, if he was asked, he'd spin it some way that would hopefully be believable. A final touch with the addition of a little "cologne" he'd made to smell like cedarwood to mask the smell of the bodies often present at his "workplace."

He asked around in the morning until he was able to track her down in the marketplace, spotting her rather quickly despite her more conservative dress. So then he waited, watching until Matthias and his manservant were temporarily distracted in a stall. While Reina was still close to the men, it was an opening. He approached her from behind, placing an arm around her back and gently cradling her elbow. With his other, he slipped the book beneath her arm and whispered against her ear, "Don't lose it this time, yeah?"

Smoothly he released her before the men were aware of his closeness, and this time he approached the man Matthias. Jovially he approached the man, his voice loud and confident, his street accent undetectable. "Ah, Matthias! I was told you were here doing business. I had hoped you would call on me, but you must not remember me from before!" He stepped forward and took the man's hand, shaking it firmly and pulling him in the speak low as if trying to keep Reina from hearing. "I believe we may have been a bit drunk at the moment..." He added, as if to a friend. Still not releasing the man's hand, he continued. "It's Damian, Damian Lock. Perfume and cologne merchant. Remember? Here, smell my latest." He shoved his wrist beneath the man's nose, and then smelled it himself. "Ah! Makes one feel like a man of the woods, does it not? Well, we simply must catch up! Are there any parties in this dreadful city? If so, we all must attend..."

He trailed off as if just noticing Reina, and he turned to look at her. "And who is this lovely young lady?" He took up her hand and kissed it, winking up at her before he turned back to Matthias. "I wasn't told you had found yourself a woman! You dog!" He clapped the man on the back like he would a good friend. This bit had at least a 90% success rate... Most people reacted with embarrassment for not remembering him.

DragonSong

Reina froze as she suddenly felt a stranger far too close for comfort, one hand automatically reaching toward the dagger she really didn't know how to use. Then the book was slipped under her arm and her eyes went wide, snapping up to search the not-so-stranger's face. "You-"

But then he was slipping away, clasping her betrothed's hand and laughing and joking as though they were old friends. Her eyes were very round and she resisted the urge to let her jaw drop, frankly stunned that Matthias didn't recognize the man.

Which he really didn't seem to. After a few moments of awkward fumbling, the young merchant smoothed his expression into a smile. "Ah. Yes. Master Lock, good to see you again," he said with the ease of a man long used to not remembering names and faces but knowing he needed to be polite. Garret relaxed slightly, taking his master's cue to be friendly.

Matthias slipped an arm around Reina's waist and drew her forward, a touch that made her scowl before she could quite stop herself. Like she was a prize hound, being trotted out and shown off. "Yes, yes, allow me to introduce my betrothed, the young Lady Reina Bartok. It's a recent arrangement, and I thought she should see my work, if she is soon to become my bride."

Reina stared at Dean long and hard, taking in his new ensemble and accent, before she extended a hand demurely and gave him a small, polite nod. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance...Master Lock."

TreeFolk

Her expressions were priceless. Just priceless! And, as he had hoped, the man was not too quick in the head... Either that, or he was so full of himself as to be unaware of the reactions of others around him. First he fell for Dean's trick hook, line, and sinker, and now he was utterly unaware of his betrothed's displeasure. "Just betrothed? Hmm." He couldn't help the small twitch of a smile at the corner of his lips. It would certainly make things easier.

To displace some of the future suspicions, he continued on as he began to walk, the group following him. "Ah, yes, to be married! My own betrothed could not join me on my business here... Her family disapproves of the whole city. Not that I would wish to bring her here... Such a flower is my little love! She would be plucked right up. Not nearly enough street smarts like you and I have, Matthias." Dean so hoped that Reina would catch on to his light mocking of Matthias... He wanted to see her reaction.

Walking beside Matthias, he continued as he saw Garret's eyeing a woman across the street. "And I do find it rather constricting... The whole idea of marriage, that is. Especially in a city like Zantaric." He laughed and clapped Garret on the back. "My lad Garret knows!" He zipped right into the next conversation, and while he was speaking to Matthias, his eyes often strayed to Reina. "What business are you about these days, Matthias? I myself dabbled in the spice market briefly... Terribly difficult to manage, what with the war in Connlaoth going on." 

DragonSong

"Yes, I am beginning to think it was unwise to bring my lady, despite how it would pain me to be apart  from her. These streets can be unkind to those who don't know how to navigate them," Matthias said easily, oblivious to Dean's mocking. Catching the man's look, Reina rolled her eyes theatrically where she knew neither her fiance nor his manservant would see.  Sure, he could navigate them well enough for her to give him the slip yesterday.

"But I dare say my Reina wouldn't have allowed me to leave her behind," the merchant continued, chuckling. "You know, she gave us quite a fright yesterday, managed to slip away when Garret wasn't paying attention. Thankfully she was lucky enough not to come across any untoward characters."

"His" Reina scowled at his back, then quickly schooled her features into a mask of polite emptiness when he glanced back at her. She raised her hand unconscious to the bruise on her cheek that she had covered with an artful combination of powders that morning.

"-here on a variety of business ventures, you see," Matthias was saying when she tuned back in to the conversation. "There are several merchants my father deals with who have bases here, and it was more convenient to meet them all in one place."

TreeFolk

It almost made Dean angry at the man's ignorance. His betrothed had encountered plenty unsavory characters, but he had been there to pluck her up. Not to mention that Dean himself was an unsavory character. Dean's dark eyes looked back to Reina as he responded. "Is that true? Well, she was very lucky indeed. Just last year there was a young lady who was kidnapped when she wandered astray... When her husband could not pay the ransom..." This time he stared hard into Reina's eyes. "They found her in the canal."

He cleared his throat. "I took up training in combat after that, and have taken to training my betrothed. Eases my heart to know she could defend herself." He opened the locket he had pinched from the ailing nobleman, a picture of a plain young woman in the frame, possibly the man's daughter or his wife years ago. He showed Matthias the picture, strengthening his lie further. "Do you see how tiny she is? Why, she just wrote in one of her more recent letters that she was able to defend herself from a pickpocket!"

He knew that he should not address Reina in front of Matthias. The man seemed the sort to like to imagine he had all the control. "I could show your betrothed a few moves to protect herself with, in case she finds herself 'lost' again." He said the word with just the smallest inflection, again slipping an inside-joke in with Reina. "My business is not doing as well as yours, I'm afraid... I have far too much time on my hands."

DragonSong

Matthias gave him an odd look for a moment, evidently surprised by the offer. "Well...I'm not sure that would be entirely proper," he mused. "Perhaps if Garret or I were there as well, but-"

"Actually," Reina cut across him, heedless of propriety. She had been silent for a few long moments, the "canal" comment making her shudder as she fully realized how easily she could have shared that fate. "I would feel much better if I learned some basic self defense techniques." She met and held Dean's gaze. "Though I am not entirely helpless."

"Hmm..." The merchant glanced at her for barely a moment before shrugging. "Well, I suppose... And it may give the lady something to keep her occupied while I conduct my business in town.

TreeFolk

"I'm sure you're not, Lady Bartok. But I would be honored to show you more." Dean returned her look in kind. He had, indeed, seen her putting up quite a fight in the alleyway, and could see the swelling beneath her eye. It was actually what had given him the idea of offering to train her in self-defense. It would give him time to get to know her, and even might eventually give him time alone.

"But of course, Matthias, if that would set you more at ease..." He paused, as if considering whether or not he would share the next part. "Though the lady might not wish to have her groom-to-be see her behaving so unladylike. I wish I had respected my betrothed's modesty more. It is hard for most young ladies to focus when they know their beloved is around."

The man seemed to agree rather easily, obviously prioritizing his business over his betrothed. Well, that had been evident simply in her presence in Zantaric. Any man who valued his betrothed more than business would never dream to bring her here. Dean gave the man a serious nod, before pulling out a slip of paper and pretending to write on it. The paper already had an address on it, though Dean had not written it out himself... He couldn't write, and could just barely manage to read. He was the true product of the streets, smart but unlearned. He handed the manservant the slip of paper. "This is the inn I am staying at on the outskirts of the city. There is a small courtyard where you might find us across the way in the stable yard." It was a place he could easily pay off the stable lads.

He patted Matthias on the back. "Do come before nightfall to fetch her. Perhaps you and I might share a drink afterwards. Best of luck, today."

"Now," he extended his arm to Reina with a twinkle in his eye, distinctly recalling her refusal of his arm just the night before, "if you might, m'lady."

DragonSong

She caught the knowing look in his eye and found her lips twitching up into a small, crooked smile. Knowing it was probably not the smartest decision she'd ever made, she took his arm, calling over her shoulder, "I will see  you tonight, Matthias."

Once there was a bit of distance between them, enough that she wasn't afraid of being overheard, Reina gave her companion an arch look. "Damien Lock? I assume Dean isn't your real name either," she said wryly.

TreeFolk

A wicked grin spread across his features as he looked down on her, jostling her a bit on the end of his arm before sucking in a large gulp of air. "Ahh! How refreshing it tis to stroll about merrily!" Now his structured speech was mocking, spitting it out as if he had been dying to do so since he had begun talking to Matthias. "Tis not moral and right for a lady to be seen unaccompanied! She is the rightful property of men!" And then he laughed, "Ahooo ho hohoho!"

Tears sprang to his eyes as he laughed harder, a real laugh, sucking in air and nearly hiccupping as he tried to rein himself back in. With his free hand he wiped the tears away from his eyes, finally responding to her question. "Not one o' my better pseudonyms, yeah?" He steered her down another street. "Dean is my real name... More or less." He shrugged. It was the name he had taken up after he had come out of his two year stupor, a name he felt more comfortable using than the name his "mother" had given to him. That name was better off staying buried.

He slowed his steps and stopped her out of the way of the rest of the foot traffic, holding her shoulder with one hand before staring hard at her face. He gently brushed a thumb over her bruised cheek, eyes intense. "That 'man' o' yers isn't terribly bright." Again he pulled away from her before she could react, continuing to walk in the direction of the address he'd given Matthias. "Which is why I'm gonna show y' a thing or two about fightin'... Yer obviously the brains o' that relationship, why not be the brawn, too?"

DragonSong

Reina scrunched her nose up at his overly dramatic little speech and laugh, not sure if she should laugh or be offended. "We don't all talk like that, you know," she muttered a little petulantly. She wasn't quite sure if she really believed that his name was Dean, but she decided to let it drop for now.

Then he was touching her so familiarly again and she froze, wincing slightly as his thumb brushed over her cheek and hissing in a quiet breath.

"He's not my man," she murmured as they started walking again, brow furrowed. "Not...yet, anyway. And I'm certainly not his lady." And she never would be, if she had anything to say about it. Glancing sidelong up at her companion, she added warily, "I hope you're not planning on getting any ransom from him. Garret may be thick, but he's built like an ox. If you try something, he'll snap you in half."

She was bluffing, a little, but it made her feel a bit better.