Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

From the Forest It Came (Open, Giraffe)

Started by Rylok, February 23, 2024, 06:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rylok

Kaede of the Grove.

The spirit reminded itself that it had a name now. Life beyond the grove was something different, something beyond the wind, beyond the rain, beyond the seasons. The Grove family had praised their spirit's curiosity and provided it with a name, a pendant made from its own tree, and their blessings to leave and explore. But how would the spirit travel?

It had stepped from the maple tree that given it birth as humanoid, but definitely dryad. It experimented with its shape, feeling most comfortable with the dryad form, a deer shape, and a human shape. For weeks, Kaede wandered the woods as a spirit-stag, fleeing from hunters and testing his ability to explore. His few interactions with humans had been filled with mutual awe and shy curiosity, but no interactions. If the spirit was going to get to know more about the humans, it would need to go into the groves-no, city-where the humans lived.

So, shoeless, dressed in the finest green silk dress, the spirit stepped out of the woods in her human shape. Long hair floated on errant breezes, and it pleased Kaede because it was the color of her fall foliage and the wind still combed it like her leaves. Each step down the road and towards the approaching city brought her closer and closer to satisfying her curiosity.

The woman drew odd looks. She was sturdy in build, strong and feminine. Her piercing eyes were initially brown to look at, but they gave such an impression of tree bark that there were hints of grey in them as well. She did not greet others until she'd been greeted, and she seemed to be drinking in every farm as if it were the first time she'd seen such things.

But those bare feet...they were incongruous with the studious looks, the serious expression, and the fine dress...the only people who seemed to understand it were those who maintained the shrines to the local spirits. They didn't stop the odd woman from approaching the forest spirit's shrine and collecting the money gathered there. They did not scold her when she took an offered apple and began to eat it, and they did not expect from her any sort of restitution when she rested in the shade of the shrine.

wandering_giraffe

Kael was quite happy today, having successfully traded an old artifact he found for a very nice leather backpack and an old but usable sword and a golden sheath that could use a touch up.
He attached the sheath to his belt, and then slid the sword into the sheath.

Kael whistled as he made his way to one of the old shrines. He hadn't worshipped in a while, (a while being a month) and today was a good day for it. Except...something was different.
The old shrine that he normally frequented had a person sitting in its shade.
He stopped short, not wanting to stare, but quite confused. The aura around the shrine was much more powerful than it normally felt, and almost reminded him of his days back in the desert when he could listen to the sands, and hear the voice of the desert. He took off his cowl and let it rest against his back, and leaned against a tree near the shrine, arms folded, a pleasant but inquisitive expression on his face.
"Are you from the shrine?" He finally asked, his voice soft but masculine at the same time.

Rylok

Kaede enjoyed this spot. Magic had rooted itself at the shrine and was pulsing from the earth, much like the life force of the trees in her grove. It felt like springtime here, and it was invigorating.

Experimentally, she wiggled her toes and smiled at the sensation. The dirt on the digits was good, black soil, full of hummus and life. The spirits within the shrine whispered in joy to one another; a friend of theirs was headed towards them. Kaede listened to their whispers, then turned to the golden toned man who spoke to her...and quite perceptibly too. A smile crinkled her too-green eyes, easing them from wide and wild into something softer and more feminine.

"Hello. I'm not of this shrine, though the spirits of the forest within it are quite glad to see you. Any friend of these forest spirits is someone I shall greet with gladness. The spirits here...they call you Kael. That's your name, yes? I am Kaede of the Grove."

She stood gracefully and extended her hand the way that her family had taught her. The smile on her face danced between childish innocence and ancient wisdom as she took in the man's presence. Here was a hunter. Here was a man of balance, imbalance, loss, dignity. She was glad to get to know him.

wandering_giraffe

Kael walked over to Kaede and gently shook the hand offered him, bowing in reverence.
"Yes, my lady, my name is Kael. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. What brings you to this shrine?"
"I've never had the honor of seeing a spirit, I have only heard their voices," Kael said, thoughtfully looking at the shrine.
"You said you're from the grove? Is that near here?

Rylok

Kaede listened to his questions and pointed without looking over Karl's shoulder to the sea of trees outside of town.

"About a day's walk that way my tree stands. I was blessed by the love of my people to be able to take form; they have sacrificed in my grove for three generations, now. I grew strong on their first fruits, the blood of their hunts, and the breath of their prayers. When I wanted to see more of the world they lived in, they were gracious enough to grant me their blessing. And this shrine...it venerates my siblings of the forest, and so it feels like home for me. What if you? What brings you here?"

She cocked her head at him in curiosity, though the motion seemed more like an animal's motion than a human's.

wandering_giraffe

"I'm a hunter, and protector of those who can't protect themselves," Kael explained humbly. "I come semi-often to this temple to offer my best hunt, to remind myself that without these spirits, I would be nothing. And to thank them. I only hunt to provide food for myself and others. Never for sport."

"This shrine does feel like home to me as well. I'm very grateful the spirits accept me," and as he said that, he bowed his head alittle.